PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned Round one 2022 v Melbourne

Twodogs
15-03-2022, 07:22 PM
It's back and so are we!

Tell us three things you know now that you didn't know before the game started.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 10:07 PM
Count them down, 3, 2 and 1

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 10:40 PM
- English looks better this season.
- Whatever motivation we took from GF loss fell flat immediately. We really didn't come out with any intensity whatsoever
- Melbourne disrespect us so much they can't even bother sledging now.

EasternWest
16-03-2022, 10:44 PM
Libber is cooked.
Vandermeer isn't going to make it.
Cordy can't play again.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 10:48 PM
1. Williams isn't up to big games. Deserves to be dropped and needs to prove himself again.

2. Weightman shouldn't play until he improves his fundamentals. Keep your feet, lay tackles, don't play for free kicks. Simple under 9s stuff.

3. English was impressive as was Naughty. Both need help.

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 11:00 PM
1. Nothing seems to have changed from 2021
2. Can’t hold tackles against the bigger bodies
3. If we are going to rely on Schache and Cordy to make a functional fwd line, we won’t make the 8.

MrMahatma
16-03-2022, 11:02 PM
1. English will have a break out year. Relax… he’s a gun.
2. We shit the bed so much and dropped so many marks. We’re not “tough” enough in some ways.
3. JUH needs to play. We won’t win a flag with that fwd line but with another 20 games under JUH belt, what could happen?!

Go_Dogs
16-03-2022, 11:04 PM
1. We’re going to be around the mark again in 2022, plenty of positives tonight

2. Naughton is the big banana - Coleman coming his way, the swagger is great

3. Melbourne and their supporters are a bunch of flogs and I hope we do them over in a big final this year. Man I hate them.

comrade
16-03-2022, 11:04 PM
1. English will have a break out year. Relax… he’s a gun.
2. We shit the bed so much and dropped so many marks. We’re not “tough” enough in some ways.
3. JUH needs to play. We won’t win a flag with that fwd line but with another 20 games under JUH belt, what could happen?!

Your 2nd point is disappointingly true. Melbourne are way harder than us. This side doesn’t hold a candle to the 2016 bunch when it comes to toughness.

josie
17-03-2022, 12:09 AM
Richards looked ok and at least attacked the ball
English rucked ok-that’s not where we lost it, well done Tim
Naughts and Treloar are just class

Cannot add to others’ good insights about who was poor etc.

bornadog
17-03-2022, 12:27 AM
1. Turnovers kill you, and we gifted too many goals due to poor skill errors.

2. Schache is only playing because he is tall

3. Need a rethink n forwards, VDM, Weightman, and mids playing forward is not working

angelopetraglia
17-03-2022, 12:36 AM
1. English has made some solid progress. I really think that stray knee from Astro last year really derailed his season.

2. Shaq was super disappointing tonight. That dropped mark shifted the momentum in the third quarter and he just didn't do enough when he had chances outside of that either.

3. We are devoid of any forward line threats except for Astro. The lack of forward options contributed to our poor ball use going forward too. Trying to make something out of nothing as there are no genuine options.

kruder
17-03-2022, 12:39 AM

3. Need a rethink n forwards, VDM, Weightman, and mids playing forward is not working

I'd consider moving Dale to the forward line he is an absolute natural around goal unlike VDM. VDM is a back pocket, blinkers on straight lines kind of player who is suited behind the ball at best.

The bulldog tragician
17-03-2022, 12:41 AM
1. Melbourne are the benchmark. But if we can match them and beat them for periods of the game, then there is plenty to work on. (We had a lot of underdone players. Surely Keath could never play as bad again).
2. Skill errors and dumb decision making were where we lost it.
3. We’d noticeably improved in locking up the centre clearances, our work there seemed much fiercer, and kudos for Tim for battling so hard.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2022, 12:55 AM
1. Melbourne are the benchmark. But if we can match them and beat them for periods of the game, then there is plenty to work on. (We had a lot of underdone players. Surely Keath could never play as bad again).
2. Skill errors and dumb decision making were where we lost it.
3. We’d noticeably improved in locking up the centre clearances, our work there seemed much fiercer, and kudos for Tim for battling so hard.

Never seen Keath that poor. He was a metre short all night and just didn't read the ball in the air at all. Hopefully it is just a one off as he is our rock back there.

Grantysghost
17-03-2022, 12:56 AM
Never seen Keath that poor. He was a metre short all night and just didn't read the ball in the air at all. Hopefully it is just a one off as he is our rock back there.

He looked sore.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2022, 01:09 AM
He looked sore.

Agree. Looked sore. It just stood out so much as we only really have one key defender we can trust.

AshMac
17-03-2022, 09:07 AM
1. Don’t know where our goals will come from this year. Another year of excruciating F50 entries by the look of it

2. First game rust very apparent from both sides - just a shame we couldn’t capitalise on more of their mistakes

3. Positive signs from English, Naughton and Treloar. Also liked R Smiths game.

AshMac
17-03-2022, 09:14 AM
I'd consider moving Dale to the forward line he is an absolute natural around goal unlike VDM. VDM is a back pocket, blinkers on straight lines kind of player who is suited behind the ball at best.

There’s merit in this, just so hard to justify playing a AA defender out of position. His line breaking kicking last night at points was immense again

comrade
17-03-2022, 09:16 AM
There’s merit in this, just so hard to justify playing a AA defender out of position. His line breaking kicking last night at points was immense again

I wouldn’t move Dale, he’s dynamite coming out of defence. Trying Vanders somewhere else isn’t a bad suggestion though, he’s like a chook with his head cut off. Absolute menace to himself and his teammates at the moment.

Mantis
17-03-2022, 09:16 AM

Yet we play him mostly on the wing.. go figure.

1. Don’t know where our goals will come from this year. Another year of excruciating F50 entries by the look of it

2. First game rust very apparent from both sides - just a shame we couldn’t capitalise on more of their mistakes

3. Positive signs from English, Naughton and Treloar. Also liked R Smiths game.

His first 10min was extremely poor, but did ok after that... don't think he has enough hurt factor in his game, but gives his all.

Bullies
17-03-2022, 09:23 AM
1. Other teams will come at us physically this year

2. Tim English is getting to the next level and will be elite. We must get his signature.

3. Libber I hope just had a bad one but he looked slower than usual.

comrade
17-03-2022, 09:24 AM
1. Feels like we’re on the verge of a meltdown on field and off. Does our club go through these turmoil cycles more than most or am I just more attuned to it as a fan?

2. Our MC decisions continue to hamstring us. Playing 8 mids, 1 genuine key forward, no genuine second ruck option. It’s completely counter to the modern game.

3. I would prefer to take a step back this year if it means developing players in roles that have an opportunity of taking us to a flag. That means Marra, that means Arthur Jones, it might even mean Jordon Sweet. It isn’t Cordy (anywhere but definitely not forward and in ruck), it isn’t Schache on a wing, it’s not Libba forward.

Scorlibo
17-03-2022, 09:42 AM
1. It's difficult to win when neither Bontempelli nor Liberatore play well.

2. Naughton is ready to take the next step. First two scoring shots of the season were from general play, after being overly set shot dependent last season this is a good sign.

3. Bailey Smith is the only player on our side strong enough to stop Christian in his Tracs. Give him the tagging role next time.

azabob
17-03-2022, 09:43 AM

3. I would prefer to take a step back this year if it means developing players in roles that have an opportunity of taking us to a flag. That means Marra, that means Arthur Jones, it might even mean Jordon Sweet. It isn’t Cordy (anywhere but definitely not forward and in ruck), it isn’t Schache on a wing, it’s not Libba forward.

We took a step back 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

If we take a step back in 2022 to get it right, what the heck were we doing during 2017-2020?

Grantysghost
17-03-2022, 09:47 AM

If we take a step back in 2022 to get it right, what the heck were we doing during 2017-2020?

And the message off season has been its time for sustained success.

We played the yard stick, we were down with little to no impact from some prime movers and were in the game deep.

Top 4 has to be the goal this season.

bornadog
17-03-2022, 09:51 AM

Round 1, no need to panic.

westbulldog
17-03-2022, 10:43 AM
1. Not all gloom and doom imo, just 4 points down with 13.40 to go and we were carrying first class passengers in Cordy, Hannan and Schache (the VFL welcomes all 3 for the rest of the year) whilst Vandermeer and Weightman contributed sfa.
2. The selection axe must be swung early.
3. I support Bevo's comments to the smug NAjournalistsA Morris.

Jam Donuts
17-03-2022, 10:52 AM
1. People gonna say, relax its only the first game, but we played like we did in the practice games, rubbish. We used the same players that were almost useless last year, Hannan, VDM, Cordy, Schache, these guys are not up to it and shouldn't play again.
2. Why is JUH not playing, how will he learn sitting on the bench, the lad only needs 4 kicks and we get 3 goals, give Aaron a chop out.

Jam Donuts
17-03-2022, 10:54 AM
1. People gonna say, relax its only the first game, but we played like we did in the practice games, rubbish. We used the same players that were almost useless last year, Hannan, VDM, Cordy, Schache, these guys are not up to it and shouldn't play again.
2. Why is JUH not playing, how will he learn sitting on the bench, the lad only needs 4 kicks and we get 3 goals, give Aaron a chop out.
3.As i expected we are still soft, and other top teams will use that against us, we need to instill some mongrel immediately.

Vred
17-03-2022, 10:57 AM
1. I hate Melbourne and Melbourne supporters
2. Nothing has changed since last season. Nothing. At all. Our list has gotten worse and some of our stars from last year looked dead in the water last night.
3. Bevo .. seriously man, not the time or place.

SonofScray
17-03-2022, 12:50 PM
1. Confirmed that our best footy is joyous and close to perfect.
2. Confirmed that anything off our best runs somewhere between impotent and joyless, to meandering and disorganised.
3. We don't have an aggressive bone in our body.

The bulldog tragician
17-03-2022, 01:09 PM
1. Confirmed that our best footy is joyous and close to perfect.
2. Confirmed that anything off our best runs somewhere between impotent and joyless, to meandering and disorganised.
3. We don't have an aggressive bone in our body.

Our most aggressive player is the one from appearances most unlikely. Bailey Smith really went in hard. I was impressed by his game.

EasternWest
17-03-2022, 01:22 PM
Libber is cooked.
Vandermeer isn't going to make it.
Cordy can't play again.

Oh and a bonus fourth I thought Ed Richards looked good last night and am hopeful he will have a big year. Clearly can play.

SonofScray
17-03-2022, 01:22 PM
Our most aggressive player is the one from appearances most unlikely. Bailey Smith really went in hard. I was impressed by his game.
He had 11 tackles and attacked the contest with real vigour. Though Baz lit the spark for us, with Dunks in the 2Q.

Happy Days
17-03-2022, 03:39 PM
1. For better or worse Bevo is 100% that dude.

2. English has improved a lot and I’m comfortable never seeing Stef Martin play again.

3. Naughton is a gun FF and a gun CHF but can’t be both at the same time. We need a second tall immediately or nothing is gonna happen this year (it’s not Schache, Cordy, Martin and it has to be Jamarra)

merantau
17-03-2022, 06:12 PM
1. If you have a really bad night and you are just 4 points down at the 13 minute mark of the last quarter then there is still lots to work with. Admittedly Melbourne were inaccurate.
2. We booted 8 on the trot against a good side.
3. Our skill level by hand and foot can only get better because last night it was the pits.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-03-2022, 09:27 AM
1. Tim English can make it and become a high quality 1st ruck. Let's hope it's with us beyond this year!
2. Bailey Smith. 11 tackles and some tough grunt work inside, keeps improving.
3. We've got work to do with our skill execution, that's what cost us momentum at key moments. VDM, Schache, Hannan, Williams stick out as culprits that spring to mind.