PDA

View Full Version : Rating our list 2021: Cody Weightman 19

Hotdog60
18-03-2022, 10:14 PM
Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.

I hope current performance doesn't reflect on last years assessment.

Hotdog60
18-03-2022, 10:16 PM
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Players/ChampIDImages/XLarge2022/1011803.png?i10c=img.resize(scale_height:0.504)

Small forward Cody Weightman joined the Western Bulldogs with pick number 15 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft. Recruited from the Dandenong Stingrays, he also captained his school side Haileybury College and is known for his speed, goal sense and forward pressure. A good one-on-one player who can turn his opponent inside out with innate goal sense, Weightman had his breakout season in 2021, playing 16 games and kicking 26 goals. A four-goal elimination final performance against Essendon was the highlight for the craft forward.
LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/2402/cody-weightman)

bornadog
18-03-2022, 10:22 PM
I think is still has a lot to learn and improve his forward craft, but there are some habits creeping in that is spoiling his game. He goes to ground far too many times, and tries to take the big speccy far too often. I rated him average at this stage.

EasternWest
18-03-2022, 10:57 PM
Average but I'm hopeful.

boydogs
19-03-2022, 12:46 AM
He's a star, had a major impact at a young age

jazzadogs
19-03-2022, 12:54 AM
26 goals from 16 games is above average in my eyes. Definitely has room to improve but he's got plenty of tricks.

The elite players in his category would be Fritsch, Papley, Charlie Cameron and Toby Greene (when playing forward). Bit of work to catch them, but I'd take Cody ahead of Dan Butler.

Hotdog60
19-03-2022, 10:02 AM
I'll go with average at this stage but has room to grow. Also our delivery into the forward line doesn't do him any favours but he also should get front and centre more when Astro and Bruce are flying for the ball.

Happy Days
24-03-2022, 10:29 AM
I’ll plant a flag and say I’m worried. With more footage out there on him for other teams to digest, the danger around goals he burst into the team with has diluted badly and he’s diving at every contest to compensate. I think he’s down on confidence, and we need him to figure it out because our goal scoring options seem limited at the moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2022, 10:36 AM
I’ll plant a flag and say I’m worried. With more footage out there on him for other teams to digest, the danger around goals he burst into the team with has diluted badly and he’s diving at every contest to compensate. I think he’s down on confidence, and we need him to figure it out because our goal scoring options seem limited at the moment.

Agree with this.

I have some pretty big concerns on how he's trying to play the game. He doesn't look like winning his own ball, he doesn't look like holding a mark despite flying for everything, he's often out of position, he isn't defending and he's basing his game around trying to score free kicks.

It's a bad habit, an ugly one, that needs changing very quickly.