PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Round 2

The Doctor
24-03-2008, 01:04 PM
With Eagle going down I think it is time to bring in Stack.

Harbrow would seem the logical choice but I'm not sure what his fitness level is currently.

Now would be a good time for Stack. He just missed selection for round 1 and given the performance of Hill it might be an inspiring move.

What about Doogs for Wight?

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Interested to know why he didn't play this week.

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Callan for Addison is the other one for me.
Addison just makes to many wrong decisions, I think he is conscious of his poor disposal and hardly ever chooses the first option. He hesitates and then his options then dry up quickly.

Will we need another tall for Melbourne?

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I can't see the logic in including Stack. Whilst he did a few OK things in the pre-season, he hasn't done nearly enough to warrant selection IMO. He plays a little hesitant and fumbled once or twice in the NAB game against Essendon. Still looks pretty raw to me and would be much better suited to playing consecutive games in Williamstown for now. He has good skills and he's bulked up over the summer, but personally I don't think he's shown a lot to date. Hill was patchy in the pre-season but earned his colours through consistently doing well for a 19 year old? Plus, we had injuries, but it turned out a blessing in disguise as Hill was fantastic.

OUT: Eagleton
IN: Harbrow

At this stage I'd leave it at that. In the ideal world, Addison would be sent back to Williamstown but the reality is I think he's better service at this stage than Stack/Callan/Ward etc. He makes a few silly errors which is something he drastically needs to improve on, but IMO he will get another game purely because we don't have a lot of solid midfield options to bring in just yet.

Harbrow might be a little under done, although from all reports did OK and improved as the game wore on. Probably won't be able to play the majority of the game, but he's a smart footballer with pace & good skills. His type of work would be handy for stints in both the midfield and up forward. Although a limited pre-season, I think he's the obvious choice for Eagleton. We need a player to replace Eagleton's run, and I personally don't think most of the boys are ready (Stack, Ward etc.) whilst Callan really didn't impress throughout the pre-season. Harbrow's a damaging player that Melbourne will have to keep in check, he simply has to play.

Wight gets another game for mine. I thought he did OK for 3 quarters. In the last McGregor got the better of him which was disappointing, but I think Wight should be given at least another chance. He made a few dashes forward and got the ball, a couple resulted in goals which one he kicked himself. Depending on who Melbourne play, I suppose bringing in McDougall is an option although Eade is usually one to take initiative and make Melbourne worry about our game plan rather than cater to the oppositions talls. Gilbee & Hargrave are always asked to play above their height with the idea that they'll burn their direct opponents on the run. It's probably not a bad idea against Melbourne either because apart from Neitz, they don't have a lot of tall options. Hargrave or Wight should be able to take Newton. Down the other end, Johnson, Murphy, Welsh & Minson should prove to be difficult match-ups as The dees are in-experienced and undersized.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Callan for Addison is the other one for me.
Addison just makes to many wrong decisions, I think he is conscious of his poor disposal and hardly ever chooses the first option. He hesitates and then his options then dry up quickly.

Not a fan of Callan. He's hard at the ball/player, but he's clumbsy in doing so. Several times throughout the pre-season Callan's attack on the player would result in a free kick because he over commits and thus, rides into their back or infringes in a marking contest. From what I've seen he doesn't read the play well either, and his skills are certainly no better than Addison's.

I actually think he'd be a bad inclusion, he makes more mistakes than Addison and gives away too many free kicks through over-committing.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2008, 01:32 PM

Harbrow would seem the logical choice but I'm not sure what his fitness level is currently.

Now would be a good time for Stack. He just missed selection for round 1 and given the performance of Hill it might be an inspiring move.

Stack didn't play on the weekend, and perhaps is still under an injury cloud? If Harbrow is ready to go, I'd prefer him at this stage, but I'm quite keen to see us show a bit of faith in Stack and see if he can reward us.

I'd be looking closely at Wight and McDougall this week, as I was a bit disappointed by Wights game. It's a tough call though as Wight was obviously a bit down on fitness and will probably be better for the run.

Going to be an interesting week at selection table this week, as quite a few guys did well and I'm not sure that there are too many instant replacements for the few who were a bit quieter in Addison etc.

GVGjr
24-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Interesting that Stack didn't play for Williamstown and there was rumors that he was ill during the week.

Addison and Wight could be under pressure even with Eagleton being injured.

I originally thought that Stack and Harbrow might in the best position to replace Eagle but considering the opposition perhaps Tim Callan should also be considered. The Dees have a lot of strong bodied types and Callan could be a decent inclusion.

ledge
24-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey dont forget Tiller, he has played back and forward, dont think he has done anything wrong either, a good ordinary player? Cant see White getting dropped and is Eagle that bad? I saw Eades press conference , said just bruised nothing major he thought.
I know Tiller isnt a replacement for Eagle, but if you are talking dropping of White.
He only had food poisining, should be over it by today i would think.

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Can't possibly swap Tiller for Wight. Tiller hasn't played a real game yet in defence. Both for insurance?

Skipper is the interesting one. Is he fit?

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 02:08 PM
BTW Sockeye said yesterday that Chris Grant would have been perfect yesterday at CHB.

dog town
24-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Wight held the crows main target to 2 goals and minimal impact. Doesn't send a great message if you go and drop him after that. I actually thought Doogs should have played ahead of him but Wight did the job so must be kept on.

Sockeye Salmon
24-03-2008, 02:45 PM
BTW Sockeye said yesterday that Chris Grant would have been perfect yesterday at CHB.

I wanted Chris @ CHB in the 2nd quarter when the Crows were killing us.

Mofra
24-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Wight held the crows main target to 2 goals and minimal impact. Doesn't send a great message if you go and drop him after that. I actually thought Doogs should have played ahead of him but Wight did the job so must be kept on.
I agree. Doogs doesn;t offer the flexibilkity of having Hudson off the ground for a 3-4 minute rest a la 3rd quarter, Minson forward & Wight pinch-hits in the ruck - he laid a good tackle on a 2nd/3rd effort in teh centre square as well.

The goals he gave up to K-Mac were late in the game & close to the 50m arc, noting he was under an injury cloud before the game he should be better for the run. I doubt he will be outbodied by Newton from the Dees and should match him for reach, so I think there is a good macth up for him next week.

I would expect a Harbrow for Eagle to be the move; despite being flogged by 104 points Melb still matched Hawthorn for centre breaks so I'd go small for small. Given a Minson or Hudson will be parked in the goal square for the entire game, it will be worth us having a crumber in the FP at all times & Harbrow has shown he can do this, as well as change on the wing with Hill. Lets not forget his defensive effoprts in our F50 are first rate.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2008, 02:56 PM

At Chris's peak, yes. However the Great man himself said to Eade he didn't think he could play back anymore.

The Underdog
24-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Harbrow for Eagle is the obvious one if he's fit enough.
Addison is the only other one I think is in real trouble. Callan is a logical replacement but will probably bring the same problems, good attack but poor usage. Tiller and Stack were both ill from the sounds of it, but could be chances if they're ok. I'm not adverse to bringing Tiller in for Addison, we lose some run but gain some options against the Dees. I guess match-ups will dictate what they do.

Mantis
24-03-2008, 03:23 PM
As with others I think just the one change, Harbrow for Eagleton.

Players who should come under prssure over the coming weeks on yesterday's performance would be Addison, Wight & Hahn.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2008, 03:35 PM
As with others I think just the one change, Harbrow for Eagleton.

Players who should come under prssure over the coming weeks on yesterday's performance would be Addison, Wight & Hahn.

Good pick-up there, Mantis.

Hahn has looked a little slow all pre-season, but he didn't look a whole lot better yesterday either. A couple of passes he was made to work for, but even so, he didn't have any 'urgency' in his running. Failed to get involved in the game and was probably lucky to find himself standing alone when Aker put that ball right into his chest for his long goal. He's a key player as most Bulldog supporters would confirm, but he's definitely not looking settled to say the least. Really struggling to get involved with anything ATM.

He'll probably keep his place in the side though, because we don't have a whole lot of midfield options coming through. Ray, Eagleton & Harbrow are to come back (Well, two of them anyway as Eagle played) but Hahn offers something different to all three. It depends how he plays over the next month though. If by then he's showing no signs of improvement, we're not going to have much choice but to release him to Willy to try and find some touch.

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Is Cross getting off too lightly ? Hahn wasn't good I agree but I expected more from cross than what he did yeterday. He didn't want to kick it and his handballs were nowhere near effective as they should be.

The Coon Dog
24-03-2008, 04:36 PM
I wanted Chris @ CHB in the 2nd quarter when the Crows were killing us.
I wanted him at CHB in the last quarter in the 1997 Prelim Final when the Crows were killing us! :mad:

SquirrelGrip
24-03-2008, 04:42 PM

A fit Tom Williams would have been perfect yesterday at CHB. We've got the players, we just them to play with skill and consistency week-in, week-out.

Bulldog Revolution
24-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Is Cross getting off too lightly ? Hahn wasn't good I agree but I expected more from cross than what he did yeterday. He didn't want to kick it and his handballs were nowhere near effective as they should be.

The fact that he didn't want to kick it seemed to allow opposition players to zone off him and try to pick off his handballs or pressure the receiver, when he did back his kicking a little later to just chip it to someone he looked better. There is nothing surer than the fact he will have already started his preparation to make amends.

Hahn did get some tagging responsibility for McLeod, spent a good portion on the bench, but was quietish. On what I saw yesterday I wonder if Murphy will be used more regularly in the backline as he was in the second half, I thought his foot skills and poise added to the mix down there.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2008, 08:10 PM
On what I saw yesterday I wonder if Murphy will be used more regularly in the backline as he was in the second half, I thought his foot skills and poise added to the mix down there.

I'm all for this idea. If Shaggy is being beaten like he was yesterday, swap him and Murph around for a bit or something. Murph definitely adds some composure down there.

Mantis
24-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm all for this idea. If Shaggy is being beaten like he was yesterday, swap him and Murph around for a bit or something. Murph definitely adds some composure down there.

Happens a fair bit so it might have to be a permenant swap.

1eyedog
24-03-2008, 09:48 PM

I liked the idea of swapping Shags for Murph on the Birdman. Don't know about the bald Eagle, is he def out? I'd bring in Harbrow for Ego and I like the idea of Wight at CHB and Doogs at CHF with Welshy in the goal square. Is Doogs fit? What about Tom Williams? Can anyone tell me how long he is off playing? We really need him.

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Has stacky played since the game in bendigo? Cause i know he hurt his hip/ribs, i was right behind him when they were taping a matress to him :).

Bulldog Revolution
24-03-2008, 10:41 PM

It was more adding Murph to the backline mix of Shaggy and Gilbee, and moving Morris onto Burton

Having 3 guys who are excellent kicks in Murphy, Hargraves and Gilbee gave us a bit more accuracy out of defence, as Harris and Gilbee were a little underdone.

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 04:46 AM
I was hoping for more from Hahn this year, he still seems out of sorts. I think Shaggy did OK for three quarters on a tough opponent. I like Addison, I think he is an honest trier, but still has to develop a footy brain and I don't know if that is possible - you either have it or you don't. I was most disappointed in Lake, it is going to take a few games before he is back. Big wraps for Gia for me.;)

I say play Tiller, according to that article "Inside the Kennel" he was the one that they wanted to play originally - so I will expect him back this week if he is well enough.

Any idea when Williams, Ray and Everitt are likely to return?

G-Mo77
25-03-2008, 08:31 AM
I was hoping for more from Hahn this year, he still seems out of sorts.

1 game so lets not panic yet.

I don't see many changes. Eagleton the obvious one who will miss. How is Harbrow's health right now? Did he play for Williamstown? The Bald Eagle will be missed. He was one of the better players Saturday.

Apart from Eagleton I don't see any other changes.

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Whyte and Addison are not good enough at this level. Hahn. on the other hand, should never be out of this side.

whythelongface
25-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Whyte and Addison are not good enough at this level. Hahn. on the other hand, should never be out of this side.

Sorry but Hahn is not an untouchable. If a player is not in form and warrants a spell in the two's then so be it, no matter who they are.

Ozza
25-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I think it may be too early to think about dropping blokes. I would probably have Harbrow for Eagle and I think Addison probably struggles. But for Hahn - I'd say he'll be right - he has weeks like those - and his 50 mtere bomb goal probably saves him!.

Surprised Cross is getting some stick. He got it 25 times and didn't make many mistakes. Thought it was an ok game for him. Corss is untouchable for mine, Wight added flexibility as someone suggested earlier, and I think Harbrow has earned enough points along the way - to warrant first crack at Eagle's fwd flank.

Mantis
25-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I think it may be too early to think about dropping blokes. I would probably have Harbrow for Eagle and I think Addison probably struggles. But for Hahn - I'd say he'll be right - he has weeks like those - and his 50 mtere bomb goal probably saves him!.

Surprised Cross is getting some stick. He got it 25 times and didn't make many mistakes. Thought it was an ok game for him. Corss is untouchable for mine, Wight added flexibility as someone suggested earlier, and I think Harbrow has earned enough points along the way - to warrant first crack at Eagle's fwd flank.

Did you fall asleep in the 2nd qtr?

dogman
25-03-2008, 11:52 AM
With Eagleton injured, I would say;
Eagleton and Addisson out
Tiller and Doogs in. (I would love to say Williams and Everett)

We need to increase the amount of talls in our side for team balance. I believe we had too many runners/ smalls in the side on the weekend. This was fine against the crows that don't have an abundance of talls but alot of quality fit runners. On the weekend we only had 4 players over 191cm in our team, which I believe is not a great balance.

After the demons we have the saints and the bombers. The saints and bombers will give us alot of headaches with there height. So I would play these two and try get them ready for the two weeks after. We have enough quality midfielders in the side already and we don't need to bring in an underdone Harbrow in the side, we already have a couple of underdone players in the side.

Bulldog Revolution
25-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I like Addison, I think he is an honest trier, but still has to develop a footy brain and I don't know if that is possible - you either have it or you don't.

I say play Tiller, according to that article "Inside the Kennel" he was the one that they wanted to play originally - so I will expect him back this week if he is well enough.

I think part of Addisons issue is confidence, he made a couple of stuff ups yesterday trying to take his man on, when he probably shouldn't have, but he did do some nice stuff. He isn't a bad kick, so I think part of it is just trusting his foot skills and getting confident in moving the ball quickly. He does have some decision making work to do, but I think he is very much a player the coaching staff can make something of.

I didn't see anywhere in the article that Tiller was preferred - I thought it just said the decision had been made for them due to Tillers food poisoning

1eyedog
25-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Sorry but Hahn is not an untouchable. If a player is not in form and warrants a spell in the two's then so be it, no matter who they are.

Hi, I don't agree with this. Mitch Hahn is one of only a couple of big bodied blokes we have (what commentators have been saying as big-bodied anyway) like the Geelong side. Most of our players are athletic run-with players. Minson and Maybe Cooney are our only other two and Will's not quite there yet. We badly need Hahn's presence and I really doubt Rocket would drop him if he was no good for six weeks.

1eyedog
25-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Addison, Wight out
Williams and Ray in (ideally)
Ray is 5 weeks away with a leg, don't know about Williams.
Doogs needs to go to CHF, geez give him a chance, won the goal kicking at the Eagles.

Mantis
25-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi, I don't agree with this. Mitch Hahn is one of only a couple of big bodied blokes we have (what commentators have been saying as big-bodied anyway) like the Geelong side. Most of our players are athletic run-with players. Minson and Maybe Cooney are our only other two and Will's not quite there yet. We badly need Hahn's presence and I really doubt Rocket would drop him if he was no good for six weeks.

He looked slow and lacked endurance on Sunday and we all know his skills aren't the greatest. It may take him a few weeks to get back into the swing of things as we all know that the game is at its quickest in the first 4 to 6 weeks of the season when most players are fully fit.

In saying this if we get to the mid point season with a near full list Mitch will be one player who will be in strong competition for a spot in the side and he wont be the only 'senior' player in this situation.

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Potentially some hard calls to be made.

Addison - Does have a look about him that makes me think he doesn't feel that he belongs at the highest level. Hopefully some good performaces will breed some more self confidence.

Wight - I've read comments along the lines of "Wight was playing out of position" etc My question is: Where is he earmarked to ideally play? also, People complain when our young (particularly tall) players are brought in for 1 week and then ommitted. I say let's keep the guy in the side and see if he can improve with consecutive game time. Surely a guy who's 200cm or so and can run fast has to give the team some advantage?

Harbrow - If he's 100%, he'd be a good inclusion. I'd love to see him put more defensive pressure on in our forward 50. (I'd actually like to see more of this from all our forwards)

Callan - I don't know enough about this guy to really comment. I'm not sure I'd want to base my opinion on his pre-season form? Here's a new player to the Club wanting to make a big impact maybe going in too enthusiastically to the contest?? If you can win a VFL B&F you're no mug. I know it's a big step up to AFL but I'd like to see him play a few more games before I judge his potential. Maybe we see how he goes in a shutdown midfield role?

McDougal - IMO he could be a handy running defender if played on the 2nd or 3rd best tall forward. He got toweled up in the NAB Cup while playing on Lucas. Not too many who wouldn't get toweled up by Lucas.

There's enough footy smarts at the Club to make the right calls (hopefully!!) so let's wait and see!!

Go_Dogs
25-03-2008, 12:59 PM
^^^^^^^

Well said, particularly re: Cam Wight.

I tend to agree. I was pretty critical of him on the weekend as he looked a bit underdone and at times struggled a bit. He was playing against two pretty senior guys for most of the day though, and Stevens is actually a pretty decent player these days much to the misfortune of the laughs I used to have at his numerous exhibitions of mistake after mistake.

The only way Cam will improve is if he's given more game time and has a bit of faith shown in him.

He can go forward and fill in the ruck too.

Pretty handy bloke to have in the side - and he'll be better for the run.

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 01:01 PM

What's this out of form business? He was on the gorund for 61% of the time - he's not going to finish with 30 possessions in that time.

Have a look at the impact of the man when he attacks the ball. We don't need less of him, we need, more like him. Porplyzia for the Crows had a similar effect on Sunday, breaking through tackles.

Bulldog Revolution
25-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Wight - I've read comments along the lines of "Wight was playing out of position" etc My question is: Where is he earmarked to ideally play? also, People complain when our young (particularly tall) players are brought in for 1 week and then ommitted. I say let's keep the guy in the side and see if he can improve with consecutive game time. Surely a guy who's 200cm or so and can run fast has to give the team some advantage?

Harbrow - If he's 100%, he'd be a good inclusion. I'd love to see him put more defensive pressure on in our forward 50. (I'd actually like to see more of this from all our forwards)

Callan - I don't know enough about this guy to really comment. I'm not sure I'd want to base my opinion on his pre-season form? Here's a new player to the Club wanting to make a big impact maybe going in too enthusiastically to the contest?? If you can win a VFL B&F you're no mug. I know it's a big step up to AFL but I'd like to see him play a few more games before I judge his potential. Maybe we see how he goes in a shutdown midfield role?

McDougal - IMO he could be a handy running defender if played on the 2nd or 3rd best tall forward. He got toweled up in the NAB Cup while playing on Lucas. Not too many who wouldn't get toweled up by Lucas.

It was interesting to see Wight preferred to McDougall in that backline role - Wight looked well short of a gallop and it was probably one of his worst games for the club. It will be up to Rocket and co to decide whether to persist or go with Doogs. I thought Doogs was unlucky not to get a chance, his kicking and run added something in the pre-season.

Callans form was just too ordinary in the preseason for me to consider, and Harbrow just couldn't be fit enough by my reckoning. I'd prefer to see OKeefe over those two

mjp
25-03-2008, 01:46 PM
What's this out of form business? He was on the gorund for 61% of the time - he's not going to finish with 30 possessions in that time.

Have a look at the impact of the man when he attacks the ball. We don't need less of him, we need, more like him. Porplyzia for the Crows had a similar effect on Sunday, breaking through tackles.

No. Porplyzia HAD an impact (and a big one). Hahn didn't. He barely touched it - but then again, he never has. I think he has only average more than 15 touches a game once in his career...I accept he brings other things to the table, but is an occasional crash and bash worth missing out on everything else.

That said, that was a crucial goal he kicked on the weekend...but he has to start doing a lot more than that.

Bulldog Revolution
25-03-2008, 03:47 PM
No. Porplyzia HAD an impact (and a big one).

I've actually been waiting for Porplyzia to do what he did on Sunday for a while, he has always played really well against us (I think he might have kicked 4-5 against us in one of his very early games). But hes never really shown (or at least I dont think he has until this year) the ability to go into the middle and be dynamic, win the footy and break tackles and create attacks.

He was very impressive

hujsh
25-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I've actually been waiting for Porplyzia to do what he did on Sunday for a while, he has always played really well against us (I think he might have kicked 4-5 against us in one of his very early games). But hes never really shown (or at least I dont think he has until this year) the ability to go into the middle and be dynamic, win the footy and break tackles and create attacks.

He was very impressive

He made his debut against us the game where they chucked Rutten up forward and was pretty good. I think he might have got 3 goals in the middle (maybe forward as he was in for Riccuto)

LostDoggy
26-03-2008, 11:04 AM
No. Porplyzia HAD an impact (and a big one). Hahn didn't. He barely touched it - but then again, he never has. I think he has only average more than 15 touches a game once in his career...I accept he brings other things to the table, but is an occasional crash and bash worth missing out on everything else.

That said, that was a crucial goal he kicked on the weekend...but he has to start doing a lot more than that.

You well know there is more to this game than the barren statistics of kicks and handballs. He is rarely placed in the thick of things where he can pick up big stats mainly playing a role on the forward line. Again, for whatever reason, he spent much of the time on the bench on the weekend.

With Proplyzia barging his way through the centre at bounces, it was an ideal time to throw Hahn in there as a match of strength. There was no way Porplyzia would have run through Hahn's tackles as he did with others