PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round Four v Richmond at The G

Scraggers
22-03-2022, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round Three match against Sydney for our Round Four match against Richmond at the G on Saturday Night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
31-03-2022, 10:12 PM
Bump

Testekill
31-03-2022, 11:14 PM
in: Khamis (best performer in the VFL), McNeil (5 goals and 9 tackles, you have to reward that)

out: Cordy (inj, never try and be cute with concussions), Vandermeer (his best game of the season but he burns leading forwards too often or he can be really slack)

1eyedog
31-03-2022, 11:24 PM
in: Khamis (best performer in the VFL), McNeil (5 goals and 9 tackles, you have to reward that)

out: Cordy (inj, never try and be cute with concussions), Vandermeer (his best game of the season but he burns leading forwards too often or he can be really slack)

Agreed. VDM plays for frees too readily and it annoys me.

whythelongface
31-03-2022, 11:32 PM

Good changes.

How did O’Brien play? Is he any chance?

westbulldog
01-04-2022, 12:06 AM
In O'Brien
Out Cordy, hope he recovers ok.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 12:16 AM
Does Crozier come back in?

angelopetraglia
01-04-2022, 12:55 AM
Does Crozier come back in?

Who would come out for Crozier? We look pretty balanced back there tonight. It is an interesting question.

josie
01-04-2022, 12:59 AM
In: Khamis or O’Brien, McNeil Sub: Crozier

Out: Cordy, Hannan

soupman
01-04-2022, 01:03 AM
Pretty happy with that performance.

Of the usual candidates to be dropped:

Vandermeer put in a really good showing. His pressure is great and covers ground so well. Still room for improvmenet wih execution but holds onto his spot for mine
Hannan did not have a great game, but his role is kind of like that. Hard to tell without looking specifically for it but if his off the ball work was good (blocking and the like) I think he stays, we don't really have another candidate for his role (Bedendo and Wallis the best two candidates)
Wallis looked devoid of a role and like he was always 4m from where he needed to be. Really enjoyed his goal but don't see him being in the 22.

Expecting Wallis to go back out, O'Brien to come in for Cordy (I know Khamis played well reportedly but surely 2 games is enough match fitness for TOB and we will want to get him in sooner rather than later). McNeil I expect to continue waiting for one of Scott, Roarke or Vandermeer to drop off.

kruder
01-04-2022, 01:12 AM
I must say I'm in a little shock, there are highlight's already online of McNeil's 5 goals in the VFL. Who would of thought?

angelopetraglia
01-04-2022, 01:17 AM

Vandermeer put in a really good showing. His pressure is great and covers ground so well. Still room for improvmenet wih execution but holds onto his spot for mine
Hannan did not have a great game, but his role is kind of like that. Hard to tell without looking specifically for it but if his off the ball work was good (blocking and the like) I think he stays, we don't really have another candidate for his role (Bedendo and Wallis the best two candidates)
Wallis looked devoid of a role and like he was always 4m from where he needed to be. Really enjoyed his goal but don't see him being in the 22.

Expecting Wallis to go back out, O'Brien to come in for Cordy (I know Khamis played well reportedly but surely 2 games is enough match fitness for TOB and we will want to get him in sooner rather than later). McNeil I expect to continue waiting for one of Scott, Roarke or Vandermeer to drop off.

Roarke didn't see much of it tonight. 8 touches. Is that enough for a wingman?

hujsh
01-04-2022, 01:24 AM
In: Khamis or O’Brien, McNeil Sub: Crozier

Who acts as the second ruck if this is what we do? Khamis (oof for him if so)? O'Brien? The GOAT Dunks? Caleb just to really piss off people who feel Bevo doesn't rate ruckwork?

soupman
01-04-2022, 01:25 AM
Roarke didn't see much of it tonight. 8 touches. Is that enough for a wingman?

Fair. He is probably the player I am most open to dropping.

Happy Days
01-04-2022, 01:51 AM
If we aren't dropping Hannan for a nebulous role that I can't figure out then I don't see how we can drop Roarke for one I at least understand.

Watching the replay now, no chance we can drop Vandermeer. The forward press is as good as I've ever seen it be and that total psycho is a huge part of it. Plus I'm like 90% sure at one stage he feigned like he couldn't look at Blakey because he was so ugly which is the real intangible stuff that you either have or you don't.

Only change for mine is Cordy for TOB, but if the rumours are true and Buku was BOG in the twos then I would really rather him. Better the devil that you don't know sucks.

Vred
01-04-2022, 03:33 AM
Media already banging the drums for English suspension, I won't lie, that late bump does look pretty bad as he only had eyes on the player and not the ball.

azabob
01-04-2022, 08:21 AM
Media already banging the drums for English suspension, I won't lie, that late bump does look pretty bad as he only had eyes on the player and not the ball.

When did the incident happen. I was at the ground and can't even recall it.

Bullies
01-04-2022, 08:47 AM
Roarke didn't see much of it tonight. 8 touches. Is that enough for a wingman? Not sure Bevo will drop Roarke. He sees something a lot of us don't .

azabob
01-04-2022, 09:29 AM
Roarke Smith offers a point of difference. His defensive efforts and mindset.

He may not get it a 20 odd times but; he runs BOTH ways and on at least four to five occasions last night (that I saw at the ground) he got a hand in to spoil or deflect a quick Sydney handball which stopped their run.

I'm ok with the Smith and Hunter as wing combos.

Danjul
01-04-2022, 10:16 AM
If we aren't dropping Hannan for a nebulous role that I can't figure out then I don't see how we can drop Roarke for one I at least understand.

Watching the replay now, no chance we can drop Vandermeer. The forward press is as good as I've ever seen it be and that total psycho is a huge part of it. Plus I'm like 90% sure at one stage he feigned like he couldn't look at Blakey because he was so ugly which is the real intangible stuff that you either have or you don't.

Only change for mine is Cordy for TOB, but if the rumours are true and Buku was BOG in the twos then I would really rather him. Better the devil that you don't know sucks.

Hannan is the key component in the strategy for developing ruck dominance. He can move quickly and knows how to defend acres of grass when having a break from those duties. Let’s be realistic, Cordy is just too light against the bigger stronger bodies. Yes, he’s enthusiastic, but when they see Hannan nominating they laugh so much they are totally distracted.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 10:36 AM
Presuming everyone is still available (except Cordy), do we stay with the same side?

* Does Wally stay in ?

* Does Crozier get his spot back?

* Does McNeil get his first game for 2022 ?

* Does O'Brien come in to cover Cordy?

I would be reluctant to drop anyone.

Prediction:

In: O'Brien
Out: Cordy

Med sub Wallis

SquirrelGrip
01-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Presuming everyone is still available (except Cordy), do we stay with the same side?

* Does Wally stay in ?

Prediction:

Wally? No, Wally doesn’t stay in. I love him but he has to execute what his minimal skillset allows. That missed set shot was the death rattle.

Crozier? Who does he replace? He would only play if O’Brien isn’t ready. Scott moved back after half time and with his versatility and effort deserves to hold his spot for now.

McNeil? VDM played his best game for the year so despite some imperfections would be stiff to come out after that. McNeil isn’t going to replace Roarke as they play different roles. Realistically McNeil replaces Wally as sub.

O’Brien? Of course he replaces Corey if he’s ready. That was always going to be his role anyway.

The bigger question is how we play the rucks this week and if we back Tim/Mitch Hannan against two genuine Tigers ruckmen.

Mantis
01-04-2022, 11:12 AM

* Does Wally stay in ?

Prediction:

In: O'Brien
Out: Cordy

Med sub Wallis

Sentiment aside Wallis was pretty awful... roved the ball well to kick a neat snap, but there wasn't much else to get excited about... just doesn't have the leg speed to get dangerous. He can't stay in.

Grantysghost
01-04-2022, 11:13 AM
Sentiment aside Wallis was pretty awful... roved the ball well to kick a neat snap, but there wasn't much else to get excited about... just doesn't have the leg speed to get dangerous. He can't stay in.

Don't think he had a touch until part way into the 4th.

Edit: Nope wrong he had 3 in the 3rd and 3 in the 4th.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 11:14 AM

I agree, was surprised he was medical sub.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 11:16 AM
The bigger question is how we play the rucks this week and if we back Tim/Mitch Hannan against two genuine Tigers ruckmen.

Knowing Bevo, we will continue with Hannan. I noticed Bont took one ruck contest in the Fwd line (3rd quarter)

azabob
01-04-2022, 11:17 AM
Knowing Bevo, we will continue with Hannan. I noticed Bont took one ruck contest in the Fwd line (3rd quarter)

Both he and Hannan (i think) put their hand up to nominate and the umpire saw Bont first.

Bulldog4life
01-04-2022, 01:29 PM

I thought the lizard ran into Tim and Tim just protected himself.

Grantysghost
01-04-2022, 01:42 PM
I thought the lizard ran into Tim and Tim just protected himself.

LVDM has to be one of the biggest smart ar5es we've got.

He and Blakey were having a bit of a smack talk battle deep in the "Footscray" end and everytime Blakey spoke LVDM shielded his eyes with his entire arm, I assume to say he's so ugly he couldn't look at him. He did it 2 or 3 times I was in tears.

Danjul
01-04-2022, 01:45 PM
Not saying he was good but…

he had 6 disposals for 1 goal (should have been 2) 1 behind in half a game. R Smith had 8 and Hannan had 4. For 2 established players they did nothing to avoid relegation.

Danjul
01-04-2022, 02:16 PM
Wally? No, Wally doesn’t stay in. I love him but he has to execute what his minimal skillset allows. That missed set shot was the death rattle.

For me the biggest worry on the forward line is Naughton. He’s a genuine champion but he’s struggling. Other coaches have a strategy to neutralise him and he is not getting support in the present structure. Opponents are blocking him and so are his teammates. Putting Hannan in the ruck In the forward line means he is not a forward option. In his last dozen home and away games Naughton has only kicked multiple goals 4? times.

Since Sweet was banished Naughton has 2 bags of 4, a 3 and two 2’s. He has kicked only 1 goal in ten of his games. Happy to have that checked but I think replacing Hannan with sweet would help with a number of problems.

Grantysghost
01-04-2022, 02:26 PM
For me the biggest worry on the forward line is Naughton. He’s a genuine champion but he’s struggling. Other coaches have a strategy to neutralise him and he is not getting support in the present structure. Opponents are blocking him and so are his teammates. Putting Hannan in the ruck In the forward line means he is not a forward option. In his last dozen home and away games Naughton has only kicked multiple goals 4? times.

Since Sweet was banished Naughton has 2 bags of 4, a 3 and two 2’s. He has kicked only 1 goal in ten of his games. Happy to have that checked but I think replacing Hannan with sweet would help with a number of problems.

I was yelling at Marra early to lead away from where Naughton was.

His direct opponent, the elder McCartin was plucking intercept marks because he was in the area.

That chemistry will come with time, I think it actually improved mid match.

SquirrelGrip
01-04-2022, 02:39 PM
I was yelling at Marra early to lead away from where Naughton was.

Yep, he's really going to listen to a goon in the crowd....

Grantysghost
01-04-2022, 02:52 PM
Yep, he's really going to listen to a goon in the crowd....

Haha true, that would be yelling into the wind.

I don't make any noise at the footy, it was more an internal yell.

1eyedog
01-04-2022, 04:43 PM

I can't see how 5 goals can be ignored it was a huge game from him and should be rewarded.

DOG GOD
01-04-2022, 06:04 PM
Can’t play both of Dureya and crozier, so crozier misses.
Wallis out…he’s done unfortunately.
McNeil’s pace will be handy so he comes in.
Hopefully O’Brien for Cordy.

azabob
01-04-2022, 06:05 PM
Anthony Scott is a fairly versatile player, if he was a yard quicker he'd be quite dangerous either as a forward or defender.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 06:06 PM
Can’t play both of Dureya and crozier, so crozier misses.
Wallis out…he’s done unfortunately.
McNeil’s pace will be handy so he comes in.
Hopefully O’Brien for Cordy.

Need to drop one more? :)

Your ins are - O'Brien, McNeil

Out is Cordy. Can't include Wallis as he wasn't in the 22.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 06:06 PM
Anthony Scott is a fairly versatile player, if he was a yard quicker he'd be quite dangerous either as a forward or defender.

I think he does have some pace.

GVGjr
01-04-2022, 06:12 PM

It's probably the only knock on him. A very good spare parts player for us.

DOG GOD
01-04-2022, 06:40 PM
Need to drop one more? :)

Your ins are - O'Brien, McNeil

Out is Cordy. Can't include Wallis as he wasn't in the 22.

Ah ofcourse….hmm scott maybe ??

Or possibly just…

O’Brien for Cordy
McNeil as sub for Wallis

Jam Donuts
01-04-2022, 06:50 PM
Agreed. VDM plays for frees too readily and it annoys me.

And goes to ground to often, therefore there is no pressure from him

divvydan
01-04-2022, 07:40 PM
English no case to answer from MRO. Action wasn't considered to be unreasonable.

Testekill
01-04-2022, 08:33 PM
English no case to answer from MRO. Action wasn't considered to be unreasonable.

I mean like I said, Blakey literally ran into a stationary target.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 09:52 PM
Cheers, good news.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-04-2022, 11:37 PM
Tim English is a growing giraffe with a tongue controlled by a mouthguard.
Once his antlers mature he will rule the oval.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-04-2022, 12:03 AM
I mean like I said, Blakey literally ran into a stationary target.
An irrestible force meeting an unstoppable giraffe.

GVGjr
02-04-2022, 06:54 PM
A huge game for both teams.

Most likely just one forced change but I'd go for:

O'Brien or Schache for Cordy
McNeil for Scott or Vandermeer.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-04-2022, 09:50 PM

Agree. I would love Sweet to play first Ruck. Tim to replace Hannan in the threads 50. This gives us huge fire power in the forward half. I would even think VDM and Weightman get the Benefit of Hannan not playing.

Cordy out we need to play JJ back if fit otherwise Crozier ahead of Obrien

The Underdog
02-04-2022, 10:15 PM
Agree. I would love Sweet to play first Ruck. Tim to replace Hannan in the threads 50. This gives us huge fire power in the forward half. I would even think VDM and Weightman get the Benefit of Hannan not playing.

Cordy out we need to play JJ back if fit otherwise Crozier ahead of Obrien

I’m not sure after watching English on Thursday that anyone can seriously argue that we play Sweet in front of him as first ruck. Tim can be a useful foil in the forward 50, but he was just BOG in our first win of the season playing ruck. We do have a 2nd ruck deficiency, but the MC would clearly rather play a small as 2nd ruck than shoehorn in a player as a forward just so we have ruck cover. Until Sweet can be this guy, I can’t see the situation changing.
We are likely to need to replace Cordy. Despite form, this is likely to be TOB. Although Croziers form pre collapse may give him a leg up. Be surprised if there’s much other movement.

SquirrelGrip
04-04-2022, 11:04 AM
I've reconsidered my previous changes.

O'Brien should show some form before coming into the ones.

The best like for like replacement for Cordy would be Josh Schache. I fully get all the negatives that will be tossed my way (his papers are stamped, he should never play again, he doesn't have a specific role, he has not shown any form this year, etc) but I do think he would be best for team balance. Schack could rotate through forward, defence, and second ruck. It would allow Hannan to be more effective up forward. The wing experiment on the MCG vs Melbourne wasn't the worst idea, just didn't work first time around.

Tim will ruck almost all of the game, so Sweet or Martin are too inflexible. Schack at least can rotate through a variety of roles. And on the MCG I do remember that 4 goal cameo he once had against the Hawks.

My other change would be McNeil replacing Wallis as sub.

Danjul
04-04-2022, 02:20 PM
I've reconsidered my previous changes.

O'Brien should show some form before coming into the ones.

The best like for like replacement for Cordy would be Josh Schache. I fully get all the negatives that will be tossed my way (his papers are stamped, he should never play again, he doesn't have a specific role, he has not shown any form this year, etc) but I do think he would be best for team balance. Schack could rotate through forward, defence, and second ruck. It would allow Hannan to be more effective up forward. The wing experiment on the MCG vs Melbourne wasn't the worst idea, just didn't work first time around.

Tim will ruck almost all of the game, so Sweet or Martin are too inflexible. Schack at least can rotate through a variety of roles. And on the MCG I do remember that 4 goal cameo he once had against the Hawks.

My other change would be McNeil replacing Wallis as sub.

Not from me. When you look at Schache’s games with the Dogs you quickly realise that he is held to different standards.

If he makes a couple of mistakes then that’s the end of him. It happens immediately and, In my opinion the team suffers.

last year he was blamed for the Richmond loss. But when Martin was injured and Schache sat on the bench the rest of the team surrendered the game. In my opinion, if Schache had been told to spend part of the 50% game time he missed standing in front of Lynch we probably wouldn’t have lost that game. But I suppose a point had to be made.

when he got back into the team late in the year he played very well, both on the back line and forward supporting Naughton. Did you know that since Bruce was injured the only times Naughton has kicked multiple goals is when Schache has played. Naughton needs a tall forward who knows how to take opponents wide so he gets room to display his awesome talent. In his last 15 games last year Naughton kicked only 20 goals. He needs a structure that helps him, something that Hannan (with 4 disposals and at least 2 free kicks against and zero ruck contributions last game) hasn’t been able to do.

The bulldog tragician
04-04-2022, 07:54 PM
Not from me. When you look at Schache’s games with the Dogs you quickly realise that he is held to different standards.

If he makes a couple of mistakes then that’s the end of him. It happens immediately and, In my opinion the team suffers.

last year he was blamed for the Richmond loss. But when Martin was injured and Schache sat on the bench the rest of the team surrendered the game. In my opinion, if Schache had been told to spend part of the 50% game time he missed standing in front of Lynch we probably wouldn’t have lost that game. But I suppose a point had to be made.

when he got back into the team late in the year he played very well, both on the back line and forward supporting Naughton. Did you know that since Bruce was injured the only times Naughton has kicked multiple goals is when Schache has played. Naughton needs a tall forward who knows how to take opponents wide so he gets room to display his awesome talent. In his last 15 games last year Naughton kicked only 20 goals. He needs a structure that helps him, something that Hannan (with 4 disposals and at least 2 free kicks against and zero ruck contributions last game) hasn’t been able to do.

Some really good points here Danjul thanks.

Grantysghost
04-04-2022, 07:56 PM

I doubt Schache ever gets a look up forward again with Marra's performance on Thursday. Hopefully he can be that foil for Naughton you describe.

Rocco Jones
04-04-2022, 08:07 PM
I'd like to see

In: Schache, TOB, McNeil
Out: Hannan, Zaine, Roarke

I get Bevo likes how Hannan competes and Schache can go missing in that department but feel he offers more upside.

Liked Roarke being in the side later on last year but not really seeing his value atm.

bornadog
04-04-2022, 08:08 PM
I doubt Schache ever gets a look up forward again with Marra's performance on Thursday. Hopefully he can be that foil for Naughton you describe.

Marra already showing aggression and his desire to win the ball.

GVGjr
04-04-2022, 08:19 PM
I'd like to see

I get Bevo likes how Hannan competes and Schache can go missing in that department but feel he offers more upside.

Liked Roarke being in the side later on last year but not really seeing his value atm.

Good recommendations Rocco but would we make 2 unforced changes to a winning side?

Grantysghost
04-04-2022, 08:22 PM
I'd like to see

Schache in v the Tigers at the G? :|

Grantysghost
04-04-2022, 08:24 PM
I'd go Cordy for O'Brien if he's injured that's it.

Can find a spot for McNeil yet, maybe replacing Wallis as the sub.

Testekill
04-04-2022, 08:24 PM
McComb copped a rib injury early on in the VFL, they'll see how he's going later in the week but it sounds like it's just bruised ribs.

chef
04-04-2022, 08:41 PM
Watching our maniac pressure the other night I really can't see Schache getting back in unless he can discover it at vfl level first.

Bevo loves players who have a crack, Josh just doesn't fit this style.

chef
04-04-2022, 09:12 PM
For mine I'd just go.

In O'Brien
Out Cordy

Wallis back to being the sub, McNeil just has to bide his time.

Rocco Jones
04-04-2022, 09:17 PM
Schache in v the Tigers at the G? :|

Ha yeah, I'll revoke. I would love a legit tall in place of Hannan but Schache isn't.

bornadog
04-04-2022, 09:22 PM
For mine I'd just go.

In O'Brien
Out Cordy

Wallis back to being the sub, McNeil just has to bide his time.

Same here

Grantysghost
06-04-2022, 08:39 AM
Riewoldt and Prestia should be back. Grimes to miss.

azabob
06-04-2022, 09:15 AM
Riewoldt and Prestia should be back. Grimes to miss.

Last time Prestia came back early from injury it didn't end well for them. Hopefully the same outcome this time.

Mantis
06-04-2022, 09:18 AM
Out: Scott, Cordy, Wallis

In: O’Brien, McNeil

We desperately need support for English this week as I can see the 2 Richmond big men working Tim over, but we really don’t have a viable option which is really shit.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2022, 10:04 AM
I've been reading about McNeil and enjoying his highlights on tape. Link (https://www.afl.com.au/video/731481/vfl-showreel-r2-lachlan-mcneil-highlights?videoId=731481&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1648728998001)
Get some youth in there, Out Wallis, in McNeil.

jeemak
06-04-2022, 10:53 AM
Out: Scott, Cordy, Wallis

In: O’Brien, McNeil

We desperately need support for English this week as I can see the 2 Richmond big men working Tim over, but we really don’t have a viable option which is really shit.

Didn't go to the game, so it's difficult to tell however, I thought that Scott provided some burst - albeit having to move back. Is McNeil the direct swap based on knocking down the door or did you see something in Scott's game you didn't like?

BornInDroopSt'54
06-04-2022, 01:41 PM
Out Cordy
In Khamis (played agreat VFL game); O'Brien or Scache.
I would personally prefer Schache down back, he was good there in the finals.

azabob
06-04-2022, 02:07 PM
Didn't go to the game, so it's difficult to tell however, I thought that Scott provided some burst - albeit having to move back. Is McNeil the direct swap based on knocking down the door or did you see something in Scott's game you didn't like?

I went to the game and I love Scott's flexibility.

He started forward and then was swung backwards. I think we should back him in.

Mofra
06-04-2022, 02:14 PM
I went to the game and I love Scott's flexibility.

He started forward and then was swung backwards. I think we should back him in.
TBH the guy projects as an ideal sub. He had a couple of chances at HF too although the kicks to him were slightly off and he couldn't complete those marks.

Axe Man
06-04-2022, 02:44 PM
I would personally prefer Schache down back, he was good there in the finals.

Didn't Schache play predominately forward in the finals?

Grantysghost
06-04-2022, 02:47 PM
Didn't Schache play predominately forward in the finals?

Yes.

Mantis
06-04-2022, 02:57 PM

Just feel that McNeil’s extra bit of pace will be handy against Richmond…. It’s a line ball decision so not fussed if Scott stays in.

Mofra
06-04-2022, 04:38 PM
Given Richmond have stopped dead at 3/4 time in two of their three matches this year we really should be considering 'who is the best runner' when we're looking at the changes to the team.
I'd happily concede a contest or two in the first half (due height) if it means we absolutely swamp them in the last.

Vred
06-04-2022, 11:49 PM
Out: Cordy, Wallis
In: O'Brian, McNeil

Simple

hujsh
07-04-2022, 12:08 AM
Out: Cordy, Wallis
In: O'Brian, McNeil

Simple

Unless McNeil is the sub you need to drop someone other than Wallis to get him in

Scorlibo
07-04-2022, 10:39 AM
In: Khamis, McNeil

Axe Man
07-04-2022, 10:54 AM
In: Khamis, McNeil

Who is relieving Tim in the ruck as they are both of Bevo's favoured backups?

azabob
07-04-2022, 11:22 AM

This post made me laugh for all the wrong reasons.

EasternWest
07-04-2022, 11:23 AM

I believe Scorlibo has named two perfectly acceptable backup ruckmen in his ins.

Bulldog Joe
07-04-2022, 12:23 PM
I believe Scorlibo has named two perfectly acceptable backup ruckmen in his ins.

There is always Caleb.

Scorlibo
07-04-2022, 04:25 PM

Good question. Dunkley seems to be next in line for this most undesirable role, so I'll nominate him, with Libba to take more on-ball minutes.

bornadog
07-04-2022, 07:28 PM
Big blow Keath injured

Out: Keath, Cordy, R Smith,

in: Williams, OBrien, Butler

SquirrelGrip
07-04-2022, 07:32 PM
Big blow Keath injured

Out: Keath, Cordy, R Smith,

in: Williams, OBrien, Butler

Oh dear. Keath will miss 3 weeks after doing his hammy at training. Not the sort of player we want having ongoing soft tissue injuries.

Hope Sam Power is into the ear of an experienced key back to recruit for next year.

bornadog
07-04-2022, 07:34 PM
Oh dear. Keath will miss 3 weeks after doing his hammy at training. Not the sort of player we want having ongoing soft tissue injuries.

Hope Sam Power is into the ear of an experienced key back to recruit for next year.
we will have the shortest backline ever.

Happy Days
07-04-2022, 07:35 PM
Uh oh.

Axe Man
07-04-2022, 07:38 PM
Gardner, O'Brien and Williams? v Riewoldt, Lynch and Balta.

At least the relief ruck shouldn't be as big an issue with Soldo dropped, Nankervis their only ruckman.

Don't mind Butler getting a chance on the wing for Roarke who has dropped in form since last season.

Just when Keath was looking like his old self.

kruder
07-04-2022, 07:42 PM
Bulter has been in good form just seems strange to bring in 2 back flankers. Actually, I take that back we do love back flankers!

Prince Imperial
07-04-2022, 07:43 PM
Bulter has been in good form just seems strange to bring in 2 back flankers. Actually, I take that back we do love back flankers!

He's been playing wing in the VFL this year and very likely to be played there on Saturday.

bornadog
07-04-2022, 07:45 PM
He's been playing wing in the VFL this year and very likely to be played there on Saturday.
Roarke’s spot

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2022, 07:58 PM
It's moments like these that I truly wonder what we've been thinking about our KPD stocks over the last three years and particularly last off season.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-04-2022, 08:01 PM
There is always Caleb.

Bevo says Caleb is great at jumping:)

BornInDroopSt'54
07-04-2022, 08:12 PM
Oh no.
Selection committee have thought it through.
I resist thinking we are christians in the coloseum because anxiety sucks.

G-Mo77
07-04-2022, 08:49 PM
Shakes head.

O'Brien to take on Lynch at 192cm and 83kgs soaking wet.

G-Mo77
07-04-2022, 08:53 PM
It's moments like these that I truly wonder what we've been thinking about our KPD stocks over the last three years and particularly last off season.

Did our list managers look at Schache as a depth player down back? Makes you wonder. Anyways O'Brien is the man now for 3+ weeks and thatis scary. Gardner just needs that other cool head around him, I'll praise him for his work last week but feel he's on when everything clicks around him. If our midfield is slightly off we're going to struggle.

macca
07-04-2022, 08:55 PM
Shakes head.

this makes me scared that another fwd going to kick a dozen and play into form against us play :

Majak Daw, Casboult, Curnow, Wright and even Weidemann... sigh...

Grantysghost
07-04-2022, 09:13 PM
this makes me scared that another fwd going to kick a dozen and play into form against us play :

Majak Daw, Casboult, Curnow, Wright and even Weidemann... sigh...

They've lost lynch so maybe Naughty gets off the chain. I'd say Balta goes back.

Edit : Grimes.

MrMahatma
07-04-2022, 10:00 PM
They've lost lynch so maybe Naughty gets off the chain. I'd say Balta goes back.

Grimes?

Grantysghost
07-04-2022, 10:02 PM
Grimes?

Sorry yes meant Grimes.

bornadog
07-04-2022, 11:22 PM
Shakes head.

Gardner will play Lynch

Go_Dogs
08-04-2022, 09:54 AM
Seems like it would have been a good week for Schache and McNeil to come in, but glad we’re finally going to see TOB and don’t mind Butler getting a game off the back of his form. Almost a make or break year for him.

MrMahatma
08-04-2022, 10:15 AM
Schache’s paper’s stamped now? Not playing KPD, not 3rd tall. Reckon he’s back in the queue again. Doesn’t get much leeway!

Axe Man
08-04-2022, 10:17 AM

Edit : Grimes.

They have already named 3 key defenders in the backline - Tarrant, Miller and Gibcus. Doubt they would throw a fourth down there in Balta when we only have 2 tall forwards.

Mantis
08-04-2022, 11:38 AM
Schache’s paper’s stamped now? Not playing KPD, not 3rd tall. Reckon he’s back in the queue again. Doesn’t get much leeway!

Until he shows a harder edge to his game he isn't going to play much... and I'm ok with that.

Grantysghost
08-04-2022, 11:53 AM
Until he shows a harder edge to his game he isn't going to play much... and I'm ok with that.

Can you this ever happening?

I would assume it's been a big theme in his coaching for a while now, and it appears so foreign to him I can't ever see it happening.

That dropped mark that led to the Fritsch goal may be the "moment" for him unfortunately.

Mantis
08-04-2022, 12:18 PM

I would assume it's been a big theme in his coaching for a while now, and it appears so foreign to him I can't ever see it happening.

That dropped mark that led to the Fritsch goal may be the "moment" for him unfortunately.

No, I can't... Whilst ''hardness'' can improve in time, you pretty much have it or you don't and unfortunately for Josh he doesn't and it's the only thing holding him back because he is well above average for the other key facets required.

Danjul
08-04-2022, 12:20 PM
I would be happy with that too but for seeing others run into form in the firsts. For example, Hannan got 4 disposals and 0 hitouts last week and is perfectly safe. He has hardly touched the ball this year- 20 possessions in total. Admittedly he will have a good game now and then but he has never been as consistent kicking goals as Schache (happy to be corrected on that)

Danjul
08-04-2022, 12:30 PM

The team played badly- 80 turnovers and many led to Melbourne scoring. Only one Bulldog player gets named.

Happy Days
08-04-2022, 12:43 PM
We aren’t still caping for Schache are we? It’s nearing in on double digit chances after bitterly disappointing efforts. Maybe if he stopped choking in big moments that swing games it wouldn’t be so easy to scapegoat him.

Axe Man
08-04-2022, 12:44 PM
The team played badly- 80 turnovers and many led to Melbourne scoring. Only one Bulldog player gets named.

You must have missed the criticism of Bailey Williams and his subsequent axing from the team?

I would love Schache to make it but there is no conspiracy, he has performed poorly time and time again. There is little use in comparing him to others like Hannan as we have no idea exactly what they are being asked to do and how their KPIs are being measured. I will give you a hint though - it's not just possessions, it's not the 1950s.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-04-2022, 12:56 PM
You must have missed the criticism of Bailey Williams and his subsequent axing from the team?

I would love Schache to make it but there is no conspiracy, he has performed poorly time and time again. There is little use in comparing him to others like Hannan as we have no idea exactly what they are being asked to do and how their KPIs are being measured. I will give you a hint though - it's not just possessions, it's not the 1950s.
He played well in last years finals.

Danjul
08-04-2022, 12:58 PM

I thought Williams had a poor game, but to drop him after 1 bad game after proving himself last season was unexpected.

If Hannah’s KPIs say 4 possessions is adequate then it is a good explanation of why we have been losing more home and away games than we are winning. We have won 7 of the last 16. That’s not a hint, it is a fact.

Axe Man
08-04-2022, 01:02 PM
He played well in last years finals.

I never said he didn't, strange comment.

He has played some good footy but interspersed with some really poor games where my assumption is he has failed to meet some non negotiables from the coaches and been dropped as a result. He will likely get another chance at some stage and I hope as much as anyone he seizes it.

bornadog
08-04-2022, 01:03 PM
I thought Williams had a poor game, but to drop him after 1 bad game after proving himself last season was unexpected.

If Hannah’s KPIs say 4 possessions is adequate then it is a good explanation of why we have been losing more home and away games than we are winning. We have won 7 of the last 16. That’s not a hint, it is a fact.

9 of 16

Mofra
08-04-2022, 01:03 PM
I guess we think TOB can play KPD given we chased him.
Sam Darcy may well be the kid we develop there. I hope we find a stop gap to cover Keath's injuries.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2022, 01:04 PM
9 of 16

Don't spoil a good story with the facts BAD.

Grantysghost
08-04-2022, 01:06 PM

He wasn't the only one.

How did you think he played that night and in subsequent VFL games?

Axe Man
08-04-2022, 01:08 PM

My point is clearly players have roles and certain expectations to meet that we are not privy to. Simply pointing to possessions every time you wish to make your case is flawed. Now you are claiming we are losing games because the coaches have no idea how to measure success? I reckon they might have a better idea than you and I.

Axe Man
08-04-2022, 01:10 PM
Oh the irony...

UPDATE: Mitch Hannan (illness) has been ruled out of our Round 4 clash with Richmond.
Lachie McNeil comes into the 22, Josh Schache is added as an emergency.

Hope Lachie can ruck!

Bulldog4life
08-04-2022, 01:14 PM
Oh the irony...

Hope Lachie can ruck!

I hope Josh is the sub. Can play either end if we lose a tall.

Grantysghost
08-04-2022, 01:15 PM
Oh the irony...

Hope Lachie can ruck!

Good to see Schache back you guys are way too harsh on him!

Grantysghost
08-04-2022, 01:15 PM
Oh the irony...

Hope Lachie can ruck!

There's not much he can't do.

Axe Man
08-04-2022, 01:16 PM
I hope Josh is the sub. Can play either end if we lose a tall.

I can't see Sweet or Khamis being the sub so it's down to Wally or Shaq.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2022, 01:18 PM
I can't see Sweet or Khamis being the sub so it's down to Wally or Shaq.

I was thinking along the lines that we are in trouble if we lose a tall not so much other positions as much.

hujsh
08-04-2022, 01:52 PM
9 of 16

I thought Danjul was being deliberate with his language there by excluding finals but I guess even then the number was wrong.

Strange either way to base your point about how the coaching staff are incompetent on the exclusion of 3 finals wins and a grand final appearance. Normally you count finals for more than H&A performances. It's why we can still laugh at Garry Rowan and Jeremy Cameron.

1eyedog
08-04-2022, 01:57 PM
Such as a massive game. I know Richmond are on the decline and are minus Martin but they are still dangerous and we need to make a statement.

I was thinking last night watching a very shaky Port Adelaide and it made me wonder whether our Prelim win over there really was a big deal? Every game they've played in since then has been a dropped lasagne. I realise our 1 point win in Brisbane was massive but outside that? We have 4 wins from our last 10 outings. Lose tomorrow and there are very worrying signs that stretch back to the last three rounds of 2021.

Where are we at? Is this a line in the sand game or is it too early to tell?

Danjul
08-04-2022, 02:19 PM
9 of 16
That’s a relief. We have lost 7 of the last 16. Things are going well after all.

MrMahatma
08-04-2022, 02:19 PM
Such as a massive game. I know Richmond are on the decline and are minus Martin but they are still dangerous and we need to make a statement.

I was thinking last night watching a very shaky Port Adelaide and it made me wonder whether our Prelim win over there really was a big deal? Every game they've played in since then has been a dropped lasagne. I realise our 1 point win in Brisbane was massive but outside that? We have 4 wins from our last 10 outings. Lose tomorrow and there are very worrying signs that stretch back to the last three rounds of 2021.

Where are we at? Is this a line in the sand game or is it too early to tell?

It's not "line in the sand" but I don't think there's any doubt - if we want to do anything this season we need to beat Richmond (and teams of their ilk). I can cop losing to Melb in Rd 1. Rd 2, well, annoying cause we didn't kick straight. Richmond aren't full strength and even if they were, we should beat them. So, I think the match will tell us a fair bit about where we are. And I hope beyond hope that the first 3 set shots sail through for goals or we may get the yips again!

Grantysghost
08-04-2022, 02:23 PM
That’s a relief. We have lost 7 of the last 16. Things are going well after all.

We made the GF too. There's that xD

MrMahatma
08-04-2022, 02:33 PM
I mean, we can all get excited about not having another ruck and some of the issues that appear blatantly obvious, but it's also quite funny to be smacking the coaches a few games after playing in a GF. It's like people forget that.

Bevo can coach. As odd as some of his stuff seems, he can coach.

Danjul
08-04-2022, 02:57 PM
I thought Danjul was being deliberate with his language there by excluding finals but I guess even then the number was wrong.

Strange either way to base your point about how the coaching staff are incompetent on the exclusion of 3 finals wins and a grand final appearance. Normally you count finals for more than H&A performances. It's why we can still laugh at Garry Rowan and Jeremy Cameron.
I referred to home and away because they were the ones the ‘common’ supporters could get to. I think most of the finals last year were inaccessible to most of us. The home and away games have an impact on the supporters who go to the game and then travel home thinking about what they have seen. They don’t know what the plans were, just what they have seen. Those losses didn’t do much to generate new supporters or keep old ones happy.

Anyway, the finals were good. A pleasant surprise. But I suspect that they didn’t do as much as the extended set of wins at the start of the season to generate new interest. I could be wrong there.

Mantis
08-04-2022, 03:05 PM
I mean, we can all get excited about not having another ruck and some of the issues that appear blatantly obvious, but it's also quite funny to be smacking the coaches a few games after playing in a GF. It's like people forget that.

Bevo can coach. As odd as some of his stuff seems, he can coach.

Of course he can coach... he's an excellent coach, but his views on the ruck position & role is unique in the game... same with standing back 5m from the mark.

We do things no other team does and to me that seems strange.

Sedat
08-04-2022, 03:18 PM
We do things no other team does and to me that seems strange.
If we went on with the job in the last 40 mins of the GF and Luke Jackson didn't catch fire, Bevo is a geniuns for going against the established grain. We didn't, and then we did nothing in the off-season to improve our 2022 ruck situation that killed us so badly in that 8 minutes of 3rd qtr mayhem, so Bevo and the MC deserves some scrutiny because sure as hell Melbourne have improved year on year and that is the standard we need to reach for a chance at a flag.

Either we're in the flag business this year and the next few seasons or we aren't. Maybe the Bevo tactics will bear fruit in 2022 - eternal kudos if they do, but deserved scrutiny if they don't and we waste another season with Bont, etc.. in their prime.

Before I Die
08-04-2022, 03:31 PM
If we went on with the job in the last 40 mins of the GF and Luke Jackson didn't catch fire, Bevo is a geniuns for going against the established grain. We didn't, and then we did nothing in the off-season to improve our 2022 ruck situation that killed us so badly in that 8 minutes of 3rd qtr mayhem, so Bevo and the MC deserves some scrutiny because sure as hell Melbourne have improved year on year and that is the standard we need to reach for a chance at a flag.

Either we're in the flag business this year and the next few seasons or we aren't. Maybe the Bevo tactics will bear fruit in 2022 - eternal kudos if they do, but deserved scrutiny if they don't and we waste another season with Bont, etc.. in their prime.

Was it the ruck or was it the mid-fielders? From memory it was Jackson vs English in that 8 minutes, and it could be argued that English, and therefore our ruck situation has improved this year. My concern is whether our mid-field now have a way of shutting the opposition mid-fielders down. I know we have a new mid-field coach, which shows action by the club, but the first two rounds were not convincing evidence that the solution has been found.

bornadog
08-04-2022, 03:42 PM
.. same with standing back 5m from the mark.

The biggest bullshit rule of all time - stand and don't move an inch. AFL are a joke with rules.

Standing 5m away from the mark and having the ability to wave arms jump up and down and actually have a better chance to tackle the player when play on is called, is a brilliant move - tells the AFL to go get F'ed.

Currently if you are standing the mark, the player with the ball can just waltz around and you and before you know it there is no chance to tackle or even restrict their kick.

Before I Die
08-04-2022, 03:51 PM
Shakes head.

If we are just talking physical size then we match up ok in the key positions.

Riewoldt 193cm 93kg
O'Brien 193cm 92kg

Lynch 199cm 98kg
Gardner 197cm 95kg

Balta, if he is forward, presents a challenge at 194cm and 102kg, he probably ends up with Bailey Williams at 189cm and just 86kg.

I know size doesn't maketh the man. But it is continually sited as the issue with regard to our backs.

O'Brien is 193cm with a big leap. He plays tall. He is 2cm shorter than Lever and the same height as May. Yes, it would be nice if he was a bit taller, but asking him to take on a KPD role this week is not a big stretch. Easton Wood was regularly called on at 186ccm and Dale Morris at 190cm. Let's see how he goes before we start drinking the Kool-Aid.

Mantis
08-04-2022, 03:55 PM
If we are just talking physical size then we match up ok in the key positions.

Riewoldt 193cm 93kg
O'Brien 193cm 92kg

Lynch 199cm 98kg
Gardner 197cm 95kg

Balta, if he is forward, presents a challenge at 194cm and 102kg. he probably ends up with Bailey Williams at 189cm and just 86kg.
But they have the same problem in their backline with Nathan Broad giving away 5cm to Marra.

I know size doesn't maketh the man. But it is continually sited as the issue with regard to our backs.

O'Brien is 193cm with a big leap. He plays tall. He is 2cm shorter than Lever and the same height as May. Yes, it would be nice if he was a bit taller, but asking him to take on a KPD role this week is not a big stretch. Easton Wood was regularly called on at 18ccm and Dale Morris at 190cm. Let's see how he goes before we start drinking the Kool-Aid.

If Tarrant takes Naughton then won't one of Miller (198cm) or Gibcus (196cm) take JUH?

Means Broad and probably Gibcus will play on smaller opponents which can obviously work 2 ways.

Axe Man
08-04-2022, 03:55 PM
But they have the same problem in their backline with Nathan Broad giving away 5cm to Marra.

No they don't - they have 2 young KPDs in Miller (198cm) and Gibcus (196cm) in addition to Tarrant, as I have already pointed out.

The bulldog tragician
08-04-2022, 04:01 PM
This side looks so unbalanced. Who rucks when English needs a spell?

Before I Die
08-04-2022, 04:02 PM
(Copied wrong quote, but response is to post 140 from Mantis)

Yep, my bad. Didn't know their team well enough and didn't do enough homework. Happy to own my mistake, but I'll edit that line so it doesn't distract others.

We are clearly shorter than them, as Bevo stated in his presser, and if we don't bring the pressure we will be in trouble. But as stated earlier, it is not purely about height. Hopefully our team defense can get us through this week and Cordy gets back next week.

I think it is likely that Khamis or Schache will be the medi-sub, as an injury to a tall would make things very difficult.

MrMahatma
08-04-2022, 10:33 PM

Was 2021 a waste?