PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round Six v Adelaide on Mars

Scraggers
22-03-2022, 07:10 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round Five match against North Melbourne for our Round Six match against Adelaide on Mars (Stadium).

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
15-04-2022, 03:33 PM
Bump

bornadog
16-04-2022, 12:30 AM
In Wallis

Out Garcia

I think the rest earned there spot

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2022, 01:08 AM
I'd imagine it'll be Hannan for Garcia.

Bulldog Joe
16-04-2022, 09:26 AM
I was thinking that Jamarra might need a spell, but his last quarter was a big improvement.

Would be keen to Khamis in when his confidence would be high.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2022, 09:46 AM
I was thinking that Jamarra might need a spell, but his last quarter was a big improvement.

Swirly conditions at Mars mean probably not another tall option up front. Garcia is out, I’d say Hannan if fit or West the likely replacements. Would love it to be Arty.

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 10:01 AM

I watch Marra very closely at games and it certainly wasn't from lack of effort.
Again I think he and Naughton seem to be constantly competing in the air early in the game and with Naughton primarily the target Marra was getting caught under the ball a lot.
It appeared we adjusted later on (see pics Marra is further up on Mcdonald in second) and he looked more threatening (when he kicked goal). Apologies for lens flare that's the beauty of the sultry pleasure dome with the roof closed on a beautiful day.

https://i.postimg.cc/0jCCyK1B/20220415-171401.jpg (https://postimg.cc/fSJdHLLc)

https://i.postimg.cc/3NhBhCVG/20220415-183045.jpg (https://postimg.cc/478tbtJ4)

mjp
16-04-2022, 10:05 AM
7 posts in and no-one has called for Cordy to be dropped?

What site even IS this??

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 10:09 AM
Out : Cordy (moustache)
In : Khamis

westbulldog
16-04-2022, 10:45 AM
Out
Garcia, Wallis great team man, none better, but the speed of the game has passed him by.

In
Crozier (Williams goes forward), R Smith.

comrade
16-04-2022, 10:52 AM
7 posts in and no-one has called for Cordy to be dropped?

What site even IS this??

Cordy the defender can go in the bin. Cordy the whatever he is up forward/ruck can stay.

Happy Days
16-04-2022, 11:28 AM
In: Hannam

Out: Garcia

Want to pick Buku real bad but think if he can string some form together in the twos in the new role he could long term make it.

Can’t be picking Wallis.

azabob
16-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Out
Garcia, Wallis great team man, none better, but the speed of the game has passed him by.

In
Crozier (Williams goes forward), R Smith.

One more needs to be dropped for both Crozier and Smith to play

azabob
16-04-2022, 11:33 AM
For those at the ground last night what was Hunters role?

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 11:50 AM
For those at the ground last night what was Hunters role?

Pretty tradional wing from what I recall. Seemed to get a lot of possessions out wide.

Edit : heatmap.

https://i.postimg.cc/prB933gw/Screenshot-20220416-105107-AFL.jpg (https://postimg.cc/fSJT9qWC)

westbulldog
16-04-2022, 12:44 PM
One more needs to be dropped for both Crozier and Smith to play

thanks for that. .... McNeill

GVGjr
16-04-2022, 02:51 PM

I get the argument that we should play him but he isn't producing enough and needs a run in the VFL

Bullies
16-04-2022, 03:48 PM
I get the argument that we should play him but he isn't producing enough and needs a run in the VFL His timing seems to be well out on his attempt to mark. Whether that is the speed of the game he is getting used to or no confidence - not sure. He seems to go up early. I think they need to persist and hopefully it will click. Playing 2's sometimes can be worse when delivery is all over the shop and you are trying to get your confidence back.

bornadog
16-04-2022, 03:54 PM
I get the argument that we should play him but he isn't producing enough and needs a run in the VFL

His timing seems to be well out on his attempt to mark. Whether that is the speed of the game he is getting used to or no confidence - not sure. He seems to go up early. I think they need to persist and hopefully it will click. Playing 2's sometimes can be worse when delivery is all over the shop and you are trying to get your confidence back.

JUH also attracts a tall backman that helps the forward line overall. I would like to see him stay in and get the experience which will be invaluable, towards the end of the year.

Naughton and JUH need to work better together. A good piece of play was when the whole forward line lead to the left of goals, and JUH stayed back then he lead to the right into complete open space with a beautiful pass hitting him on the chest. More play like this will have backlines worried.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2022, 04:52 PM

He will be learning very little playing at VFL level.

If he isn't giving effort I am fine with him playing 2's but otherwise we just need to fast track him and get close to a full season into him. Support him, help him understand where and how to get better, but he needs to figure it out himself too.

Not saying you can't develop at the lower level but I think his situation is different.

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 05:13 PM
His timing seems to be well out on his attempt to mark. Whether that is the speed of the game he is getting used to or no confidence - not sure. He seems to go up early. I think they need to persist and hopefully it will click. Playing 2's sometimes can be worse when delivery is all over the shop and you are trying to get your confidence back.

He was not timing them well but many of the kicks went over him to Naughton and he had to stop, prop and jump pretty much straight up.
Later in the game his angle of attack was far less perpendicular, and he was keeping away from Naughton playing a bit higher I think.

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 05:20 PM

I dare say he will be on the fringes for a while. Personally I'd rather see him in the ones but he was pretty invisible yesterday so the rules have to apply evenly.

DOG GOD
16-04-2022, 05:40 PM
I agree with keeping him in as long as the effort is there. If he keeps tackling and running hard, I’m all for him playing. The only way to learn is to play with the best, and if we are hopeful of him playing in the fwd line with Naughton for 10 years, then it might as well start now. He might need a rest later on and that’s fine, but he needs to play.

GVGjr
16-04-2022, 05:54 PM
JUH also attracts a tall backman that helps the forward line overall. I would like to see him stay in and get the experience which will be invaluable, towards the end of the year.

Naughton and JUH need to work better together. A good piece of play was when the whole forward line lead to the left of goals, and JUH stayed back then he lead to the right into complete open space with a beautiful pass hitting him on the chest. More play like this will have backlines worried.

Could you lower the bar for him anymore? So because he is tall he attracts a taller back man is the argument in the plus column.
You could use the same argument when Bruce is back plus wouldn't Schache also attract a taller back man and if Martin played so would English? Hannan and Cordy will attract a taller player as well. Where do we draw the line?

I get the argument that gaining senior experience is important and having the senior players around him helps but his timing is all out and should address that at the VFL. Does he really learn much in a 5 possession game?

GVGjr
16-04-2022, 06:03 PM
I agree with keeping him in as long as the effort is there. If he keeps tackling and running hard, I’m all for him playing. The only way to learn is to play with the best, and if we are hopeful of him playing in the fwd line with Naughton for 10 years, then it might as well start now. He might need a rest later on and that’s fine, but he needs to play.

4 kicks, 1 handball and no tackles were his stats yesterday. He did get a goal. He also had 5 possessions against the Tigers
I would also expect 90% of our list to chase the opposition hard when they don't have the ball.

He's had 4 tackles out of his 4 games this year and they were all in one game against the Swans.
The optics might indicate his effort is good but it isn't effective.

For years our supporters prayed for our own VFL side but for some reason now it's not regarded as a spot where some players can drop back to and pick up form.

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 07:01 PM
4 kicks, 1 handball and no tackles were his stats yesterday. He did get a goal. He also had 5 possessions against the Tigers
I would also expect 90% of our list to chase the opposition hard when they don't have the ball.

He's had 4 tackles out of his 4 games this year and they were all in one game against the Swans.

For years our supporters prayed for our own VFL side but for some reason now it's not regarded as a spot where some players can drop back to and pick up form.

At his early stages of development I expect he will be in and out of the side.

GVGjr
16-04-2022, 07:12 PM
At his early stages of development I expect he will be in and out of the side.

But the argument is that we should be sticking with him so he can gain experience.

He had limited junior football prior to being drafted so we need to be patient with him. I rate his talent but his output isn't great at the moment and I don't see why playing at Footscray for a few weeks isn't in his best interest.

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 07:26 PM
But the argument is that we should be sticking with him so he can gain experience.

He had limited junior football prior to being drafted so we need to be patient with him. I rate his talent but his output isn't great at the moment and I don't see why playing at Footscray for a few weeks isn't in his best interest.

I guess the argument against is that he will be exposed to a higher quality in the seniors and it may fast track his development.
You certainly make a fair point however and I don't have an issue with him playing at Footscray if his performances warrant it.

Rocco Jones
16-04-2022, 07:43 PM
I think some can see being ‘dropped’ as a bit old school/punitive. If handled well, it can be positive I think.

Ideally I’d have Khamis playing fwd/R2 in VFL again but I think he offers more to the senior side than Marra, even just as a forward. He did more in the VFL yesterday than what I’ve seen ever from Marra.

Means we can have him and Zaine relieve English, going w whoever works best. Gives us a few more options (not great ones but Marra isn’t offering us much at all short term).

A few options w Garcia’s spot. Maybe see how Rhylee goes? Him or Wally, start and the other a sub. I’m unsure if Westy makes it, whether he needs to leave but we need to check it out sometime and this seems as good a chance as any.

Mofra
16-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Cordy the defender can go in the bin. Cordy the whatever he is up forward/ruck can stay.
Cordy was basically playing Hannan's role. Saw a few contests where he was forward, trying to block for Naughton.

The big question is can we get away with two KPDs against Adelaide? That will shape selection, because if Cordy goes back that's arguably two forward spots to fill. Caleb to HF, Williams to take wing rotations, Hannan to play the blocking/2nd ruck role?

Bumper Bulldogs
16-04-2022, 08:08 PM
Pretty simple this week. Bevo will not drop anyone. The replacement from Garcia should be West. Give the kid a couple of games and the crows are a side he will feast on.

DOG GOD
16-04-2022, 10:04 PM

As I said, if he keeps tackling and running hard then he should be playing…if he refuses to, then drop him.. it’s gotta be hard for him in what is normally a dysfunctional fwd line. If he gets dropped, who do we bring in to replace him? Hannan? I’d rather Marra’s marking and goal kicking “ability” over Hannan.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-04-2022, 11:42 PM

JUH is a long way off being a regular senior player. The move of Bontempelli forward given his class lifted the outstanding improved performances of both Naughton and Weightman. Until the move of the Bont our attack has been very ordinary, which highlights the loss of Josh Bruce, who was our best forward prior to his injury.

Danjul
17-04-2022, 12:55 AM
Cordy was basically playing Hannan's role. Saw a few contests where he was forward, trying to block for Naughton.

The big question is can we get away with two KPDs against Adelaide? That will shape selection, because if Cordy goes back that's arguably two forward spots to fill. Caleb to HF, Williams to take wing rotations, Hannan to play the blocking/2nd ruck role?
Hannan was out of form and then had an extended illness. Can’t see him being fit enough for selection.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-04-2022, 01:11 AM

All good points and I don't disagree.

Part of my reasoning for playing him even if he's not getting a lot of it, is that replacing him with Schache or Hannan is hardly an upgrade. Schache has failed repeatedly and as much as I wanted to see him make it, the reality is he's unlikely to be in the AFL system much longer.

Hannan gets praise from Bevo around his flexibility and selflessness, but getting 5-8 possessions a game isn't helping us now nor into the future.

Marra will have quiet games but I'm banking on his future. St Kilda are seeing their young KPF stride forward this year but he was criticised throughout the last few years for having games where he didn't get near it.

Some players you get to a point where you take some short term pain for long term gain; Marra strikes me as a very confident kid who would benefit more from having to work really hard for it week in and week out at the top level as opposed to coasting at VFL.

If his effort drops, he should go back but if it's largely form then I want to see him work through it.

MrMahatma
17-04-2022, 01:35 AM
I reckon it’s good for Naughton and Marra to get used to playing together. I know we wanna judge JUH on his own performance but also need to know it’s part of the chemistry.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2022, 10:19 AM

Part of my reasoning for playing him even if he's not getting a lot of it, is that replacing him with Schache or Hannan is hardly an upgrade. Schache has failed repeatedly and as much as I wanted to see him make it, the reality is he's unlikely to be in the AFL system much longer.

Hannan gets praise from Bevo around his flexibility and selflessness, but getting 5-8 possessions a game isn't helping us now nor into the future.

Marra will have quiet games but I'm banking on his future. St Kilda are seeing their young KPF stride forward this year but he was criticised throughout the last few years for having games where he didn't get near it.

Some players you get to a point where you take some short term pain for long term gain; Marra strikes me as a very confident kid who would benefit more from having to work really hard for it week in and week out at the top level as opposed to coasting at VFL.

If his effort drops, he should go back but if it's largely form then I want to see him work through it.

I hope he wouldn't do that if he was dropped he should be gritting his teeth and working his butt off.

GVGjr
17-04-2022, 11:16 AM

From what I have seen at Footscray with him, bringing effort really isn't a challenge for him. I just feel like a 4 goal 15 possession game there would do him wonders.

1eyedog
17-04-2022, 12:59 PM

Agree 100% he needs to go back to Footscray for a few weeks his output is way down. I reckon he'll play this week but fear the conditions might be against him. Do you bring in Schache and play him forward in the same role or do we go with Naughton, Cordy and Hannan?

josie
17-04-2022, 03:21 PM
Khamis in for Williams
McComb (I think he will surprise a few supporters when he is given a chance) in for Garcia

Wally as sub again

azabob
17-04-2022, 03:43 PM
Khamis in for Williams
McComb (I think he will surprise a few supporters when he is given a chance) in for Garcia

Wally as sub again

Are you playing Khamis forward or back?

josie
17-04-2022, 03:54 PM
Are you playing Khamis forward or back?

Back but could swap with Cordy and play forward. Can also be a back up ruck. Bevo does love flexibility.

bornadog
17-04-2022, 07:05 PM
Agree 100% he needs to go back to Footscray for a few weeks his output is way down. I reckon he'll play this week but fear the conditions might be against him. Do you bring in Schache and play him forward in the same role or do we go with Naughton, Cordy and Hannan?

If Schache is being groomed as a backman, I wouldn't play him forward

Before I Die
17-04-2022, 09:59 PM
I would only make forced changes. Keep Wallis as the sub and bring in McComb for Garcia. It’s like for like and McComb has been out best performed player at VFL level.

I’d like to see Buku get a game soon, but he needs to show he can perform consistently as a Fwd/Ruck before he can force his way into the senior team. Injuries may bring that opportunity sooner, but I hope not.

josie
17-04-2022, 10:02 PM
I would only make forced changes. Keep Wallis as the sub and bring in McComb for Garcia. It’s like for like and McComb has been out best performed player at VFL level.

I’d like to see Buku get a game soon, but he needs to show he can perform consistently as a Fwd/Ruck before he can force his way into the senior team. Injuries may bring that opportunity sooner, but I hope not.

Agree this is more likely.

1eyedog
17-04-2022, 11:34 PM
If Schache is being groomed as a backman, I wouldn't play him forward

Is he playing back at Footscray though? Thought he was playing forward.

bornadog
18-04-2022, 12:10 AM
Is he playing back at Footscray though? Thought he was playing forward.

The last two weeks I have been to the VFL he has stayed in the backline

bornadog
18-04-2022, 12:12 AM

I watched McComb closely on Friday and gee his disposal accuracy has alot to be desired. I mean more when he is short passing to a team mate, on several occasions really stuffed up. I am not sold on him at this stage as someone we need in the seniors.

Danjul
18-04-2022, 02:48 PM

A little honesty please. Schache has never had more than 2 consecutive games with less than double figure possessions. He has not failed repeatedly by the standards applied to other players.

JUH was a fantastic pickup and it’s obvious that he will become a superstar like Bont. But he has shown that he is out of form and I doubt that either he or the club benefits much from special treatment. Obviously he might kick 10 goals next week but others with his recent performance have gone back to the vfl and improved quickly (that’s what it is for). I expect that once he gets his timing right he will come back quickly and stay in.

Danjul
18-04-2022, 02:55 PM

It’s interesting to see that the height requirement for second ruck has dropped below 190 cm. How low can it go before the word ‘ridiculous’ becomes relevant.

FrediKanoute
18-04-2022, 11:15 PM
Personally on VFL form, we have to find a place for West. Whether that is as an emergency/sub or an actual replacement for Garcia.

Before I Die
18-04-2022, 11:47 PM
It’s interesting to see that the height requirement for second ruck has dropped below 190 cm. How low can it go before the word ‘ridiculous’ becomes relevant.

It’s the performance, not the height that is the measure of success. Buku had a BOG performance in this role at vfl level. Can he do it consistently, that is my question? If he can, then clearly his height is not an issue, if he can’t, then he can’t.

mjp
19-04-2022, 10:47 AM
Personally on VFL form, we have to find a place for West. Whether that is as an emergency/sub or an actual replacement for Garcia.

PLAY HIM.

Give him SIX GAMES - No Matter What. Tell him that.

He either makes it or doesn't...it's past time to find out. I dont know whether he can make it but I do not that dropping him every second game have not helped his chances. Just play him.

Happy Days
19-04-2022, 10:52 AM
Yeah I vote play him too. He’s clearly got *something* to him and is legitimately the best option for the spot that’s available.

jeemak
19-04-2022, 10:58 AM
Yep, I'd have him as a direct swap for Garcia and would give him a block of four games.

bornadog
19-04-2022, 11:23 AM
PLAY HIM.

Give him SIX GAMES - No Matter What. Tell him that.

He either makes it or doesn't...it's past time to find out. I dont know whether he can make it but I do not that dropping him every second game have not helped his chances. Just play him.

Personally, watching him at VFL level, he has not set the world on fire, so should we gift him games?

mjp
19-04-2022, 11:41 AM
Personally, watching him at VFL level, he has not set the world on fire, so should we gift him games?

After 4 years on the list is it a gift?

Isn't it S&^$ or get off the pot time? What can he possibly do in the VFL that is going to prove whether or not he has AFL attributes at this point?

We know who and what he is...or we should. So play him or delist him (however unpleasant a task that might be). Surely it's time.

bornadog
19-04-2022, 11:59 AM

Isn't it S&^$ or get off the pot time? What can he possibly do in the VFL that is going to prove whether or not he has AFL attributes at this point?

We know who and what he is...or we should. So play him or delist him (however unpleasant a task that might be). Surely it's time.

He may very well come in this week for Garcia. Maybe he is playing a certain role at VFL and the coaches are happy with him.

If they are happy with his performance, then, agree give him a few games to prove himself.

Mantis
19-04-2022, 12:03 PM

Yep... with players who he would likely compete for a spot with out injured for at least the next 3-4 weeks (think JJ, VDM & Garcia) he needs to be given an opportunity to stake his claim or we simply allow him to seek other opportunities... he's rotting away at Footscray.

Given a draw that is favorable over the next month there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to play some reasonable footy.

Ozza
19-04-2022, 01:55 PM
In: West; R.Smith
Out: Garcia; McNeil

Wally sub.
Keep playing Jamarra.

soupman
19-04-2022, 02:15 PM
This is the first Dogs game I get to go to since 2019 so I'm reluctant to bring West in, as he's probably the player on our list I rate least, but agree with most of the reasoning above.

We love giving contracts out to guys that we have no interest in playing. If we are going to contract West then he should play now as I'm not sure what we are waiting for him to produce at VFL level that he hasn't already. Otherwise why give him the spot?

Atm he is on track to join a bunch of "promising" players whose career with us ended sometimes multiple years before their contracts did like Webb, Gowers, Lewis Young pre2021 finals, Trengove, Cavarra, Greene, Hayes and Lynch.

bornadog
19-04-2022, 05:57 PM
A bit of Buku

https://youtu.be/-IXOkXhbfN4

Grantysghost
19-04-2022, 06:07 PM
A bit of Buku

https://youtu.be/-IXOkXhbfN4

He's a popular player amongst the group by the looks of it.

He actually looks more suited to the forward line. Might be a coaching master stroke.

bornadog
19-04-2022, 06:09 PM
He's a popular player amongst the group by the looks of it.

He actually looks more suited to the forward line. Might be a coaching master stroke.

That would be handy

Scraggers
19-04-2022, 07:36 PM
With Garcia and now Hunter out, West has to play. I would also bring Buku in and play Dunkley on the wing.

merantau
19-04-2022, 07:48 PM
Now that Hunter is unavailable I would be happy to see Buku alternate between defence and the wing with Williams. He is good overhead, has pace and agility and he can kick long. Worth a try, IMO.

bornadog
19-04-2022, 09:30 PM
With Garcia and now Hunter out, West has to play. I would also bring Buku in and play Dunkley on the wing.

Last week McNeil and Scott played the two wings when Hunter was either off or in the forward line. I thought both did well.

jeemak
19-04-2022, 10:07 PM
Now that Hunter is unavailable I would be happy to see Buku alternate between defence and the wing with Williams. He is good overhead, has pace and agility and he can kick long. Worth a try, IMO.

I probably worry about his tank a bit. All of our defenders have to run ridiculous amounts, particularly the taller ones, and our wings also have to do so.

Not sure he'd be up to it just yet.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-04-2022, 10:29 PM
Please disregard.

hujsh
20-04-2022, 09:16 AM
I'm not saying Buku can't become a wingman but I am going to say he shouldn't be thrown straight into it at AFL level if we can help it.

Mofra
20-04-2022, 10:10 AM
I think we have to bring a runner in, West or McComb have been performing.
If Bukes comes in we definitely need another running foot soldier as well

I like Scott on the wing so that's one side sorted.

bornadog
20-04-2022, 11:18 AM
From Callum Twoomey - I suspect this is what will happen.

Coming off a huge win over North Melbourne it is hard to see the Bulldogs making too many unforced changes this week. Riley Garcia will go out with his knee injury, and Mitch Wallis is a solid chance to hold his spot in the starting 22 having become a go-to medical substitute for the Dogs. Or they could look at blooding Robbie McComb for an AFL debut after his 28-disposal and one-goal effort in the VFL, with Louis Butler also a chance as well as Rhylee West and Hayden Crozier. Lachie Hunter will also need to be replaced as he takes time away from the club due to personal issues.

R5 medical substitute: Mitch Wallis (replaced Riley Garcia)

Verdict: McComb and Wallis in the 22 for Garcia and Hunter. - Callum Twomey

If Robbie doesn't debut then West comes in.

Happy Days
20-04-2022, 11:31 AM
Hannan has a delayed concussion and isn’t available this week.

azabob
20-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Hannan has a delayed concussion and isn’t available this week.

And for a few more weeks by the sounds of it.

Happy Days
20-04-2022, 12:05 PM
Yeah delayed concussion is never a good thing. Hope he’s doing okay.

In more positive news I’ve been told that Arthur Jones spent the whole warmup dancing to some music put on for the open training, so it appears to be a “good vibes only” situation at the club today.

bornadog
20-04-2022, 12:12 PM
Yeah delayed concussion is never a good thing. Hope he’s doing okay.

In more positive news I’ve been told that Arthur Jones spent the whole warmup dancing to some music put on for the open training, so it appears to be a “good vibes only” situation at the club today.

Delayed concussion is a worry - that is at least two weeks.

angelopetraglia
20-04-2022, 01:46 PM
Main comments from Bevo Presser below. Paraphrased. Doesn't really shed any light on changes for this round. However, it does sound that Hunter's absence is going to be a longer one. Scott also sounds like a lock for the wing position.

-Lachie has had a challenge here and there. In recent times it has got on top of him.
-Priority for Lachie is to make sure he sets himself up for the future, not just in football but in life.
-If it is a month or two months. But it is open ended. We hope to have him back.
-We will give him space but ensure he feels supported. The constraints around footy budgets doesn't help.
-**Rant about footy budget and losing assistant coaches **
-No concern that the he won't return to the field. Believe we will have him back this year.
-Players are really sensitive to what is happening in each others lives and will do what they can to support each other.
-Hannan has delayed concussion. It is not displaying in a physical sense. We need to give him some more time. Optimistic we will get him back in a couple of weeks.
-Can't give you any indication on who will be in 23. Main session is today.
-Adelaide have been impressive. They are presenting as a real challenge.
-Marcus had a different mix. He helped us establish a lead in that first quarter. We will keep changing his mix when we need to do. Having him up forward helped us last week and we will probably have a similar approach.
-Hunter being out doesn't change our thoughts on Marcus's role.
-Our wing situation has become uncertain. Scott did great last week on a wing. It will create opportunities. McNeil is an obvious candidate. Butler is another winger. Jones and Parker are winger types but we don't want to bring to many inexperienced types in when they are not ready.
-It is a challenge for interstate trips to go to Ballarat. You have two travels. One on the plane. One on the bus. At least it is not in the depth of winter for them.
-Port Adelaide was the last team to beat us there, but history doesn't count for much.
-Walker doesn't need many opportunities. He is such a great field kick and finisher. We need to starve him of opportunities. We will put some time into him.

Danjul
20-04-2022, 04:42 PM
Delayed concussion is a worry - that is at least two weeks.
Is it from training or did Hannan get injured in his last game.

azabob
20-04-2022, 04:46 PM
Is it from training or did Hannan get injured in his last game.

I think in his last game played and wasn't picked up until after he pulled out of the richmond game.

Danjul
20-04-2022, 04:48 PM
I think in his last game played and wasn't picked up until after he pulled out of the richmond game.
Thanks

bornadog
21-04-2022, 06:32 PM
Debut this weekend

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQ2dB3DacAAfm57?format=jpg&name=large

Axe Man
21-04-2022, 07:30 PM
AFL TEAM | Round 6 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1108278/afl-team-round-6)

The Western Bulldogs will unleash their first debutant of season 2022 in Saturday’s Ballarat fixture against Adelaide.

Mature-age recruit Robbie McComb will don the red, white and blue for the first time, given the nod after a dominant start to the VFL season for Footscray.

The 26-year-old was selected at Pick 23 in the 2021 Rookie Draft, showing persistence pays off after spending four years on the Club’s VFL list.

A career-best season skyrocketed the proven ball-winner into AFL calculations, averaging 26 touches a game, winning the Footscray fairest and best and making the VFL Team of the Year.

Veteran ruckman Stefan Martin will play his 200th game of AFL after being named to replace Tim English.

The 35-year-old has played at both Melbourne and Brisbane previously to the Bulldogs, racking up nine games in his first season at Whitten Oval in 2021.

English will miss the clash against the Crows after sustaining a hamstring injury during training this week.

Josh Schache returns to the line-up and will add flexibility to the side, while Riley Garcia is set to spend time on the sidelines, injuring his knee against North Melbourne last week.

Lachie Hunter and Mitch Wallis come out of the side for personal reasons.

Hayden Crozier, Rhylee West, Buku Khamis and Jordon Sweet are the emergencies for Saturday’s clash.

A player will be confirmed as the medical sub an hour before the first bounce.

Fox Footy will broadcast the game live.

ROUND 6 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v Adelaide
Saturday 23 April, 1.45pm EST
Mars Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Tim O’Brien, Bailey Dale
C: Lachlan McNeil Jack Macrae, Anthony Scott
HF: Tom Liberatore, Zaine Cordy, Adam Treloar
F: Marcus Bontempelli Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
R: Stefan Martin, Bailey Smith, Josh Dunkley
Int: Robbie McComb, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Josh Schache, Bailey Williams
Emer: Hayden Crozier, Rhylee West, Buku Khamis, Jordon Sweet

In: Stefan Martin, Robbie McComb, Josh Schache
Out: Tim English (hamstring), Lachie Hunter (personal reasons), Riley Garcia (knee), Mitch Wallis (personal reasons)

Last week’s sub: M. Wallis (replaced R. Garcia)

Grantysghost
21-04-2022, 07:32 PM
No English !! What is going on at training??

Those ins... jee wiz.

Happy for McComb that's nice, the other two; wow the cupboard appears bare.

bornadog
21-04-2022, 07:32 PM
Bloody hell English

whythelongface
21-04-2022, 07:38 PM
Bloody hell English

Yep. Anyone know how bad?

azabob
21-04-2022, 07:40 PM
Schache obviously in for ruck support. Wonder if he plays back or forward?

Grantysghost
21-04-2022, 07:42 PM

Forward I would say rotating with Martin.

Axe Man
21-04-2022, 07:44 PM

I would think Cordy is the forward/ruck support and Schache to play defence as he has been primarily playing there at VFL level. However Bevo could easily swap their roles.

azabob
21-04-2022, 07:44 PM

Cordy back to defence then.

Grantysghost
21-04-2022, 07:47 PM
I would think Cordy is the forward/ruck support and Schache to play defence as he has been primarily playing there at VFL level. However Bevo could easily swap their roles.

Is he replacing Wallis? I'm confused (it's not hard).

azabob
21-04-2022, 07:49 PM

Garcia and Wallis for OUTS are the same player.

bornadog
21-04-2022, 07:49 PM

no. Because 3 in and 3 out plus Wally to be replaced by one of emergencies

Axe Man
21-04-2022, 07:51 PM

Wallis was the sub so no. Plus we already have 3 tall forwards (unless Cordy swaps back).

Cordy played the role well last week, Schache has been groomed for defence and has rarely been sighted in the ruck to my knowledge so Cordy forward/ruck and Schache back seems more likely to me. But who knows, Schache probably ends up playing wing!

Grantysghost
21-04-2022, 07:53 PM
Wallis was the sub so no. Plus we already have 3 tall forwards (unless Cordy swaps back).

Cordy played the role well last week, Schache has been groomed for defence and has rarely been sighted in the ruck to my knowledge so Cordy forward/ruck and Schache back seems more likely to me. But who knows, probably end up playing wing!

Makes sense axeman. So it definitely will not happen.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2022, 08:06 PM
English out is massive.

Hope it's only a week.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-04-2022, 08:26 PM
Go Martin!

ratsmac
21-04-2022, 09:03 PM
Garcia and Wallis for OUTS are the same player.

Einhorn is Finkle, Finkle is Einhorn!

English is a massive loss

angelopetraglia
21-04-2022, 09:13 PM
Any inside word on how bad Timm't hammy is?

FrediKanoute
21-04-2022, 11:03 PM
Congrat's to McComb. Would like to see West into the team. Natural replacement for Garcia.

Swoop
21-04-2022, 11:10 PM
McComb's form has been strong and he deserves his opportunity. I hope he can grab it with both hands.

I agree that I would like to see West given an opportunity in the coming weeks, I still haven't given up on him

Looking at the ins, I feel like we'll play 3 talls back in Shache, Gardner and O'Brien's. With Hunter going out of the side, I expect Dale, Daniel and Richards to spend some time rotating through the wing and supporting Scott and McNeil.

I also have a feeling that Bont will spend more gametime through the middle to support the loss of English.

Time will tell!

Mofra
22-04-2022, 10:26 AM
McComb's form has been strong and he deserves his opportunity. I hope he can grab it with both hands.

I agree that I would like to see West given an opportunity in the coming weeks, I still haven't given up on him

Looking at the ins, I feel like we'll play 3 talls back in Shache, Gardner and O'Brien's. With Hunter going out of the side, I expect Dale, Daniel and Richards to spend some time rotating through the wing and supporting Scott and McNeil.

I also have a feeling that Bont will spend more gametime through the middle to support the loss of English.

Time will tell!
TOB was brought in as that intercepting 3rd so he gets to play the position we chased him for.
TBH if Williams moves onto a wing rotation we're not losing much rebound from defence. Ed has him covered this year and Dale is still Dale.

Ozza
22-04-2022, 10:27 AM
I think it is now quite clear, if it wasn't already before, Bevo's view on Rhylee West.
Would be long odds to be on our list next year.

soupman
22-04-2022, 10:58 AM
I think it is now quite clear, if it wasn't already before, Bevo's view on Rhylee West.
Would be long odds to be on our list next year.

Then why is he on the list this year?

Hes been one of the better performing VFL players and is surely being groomed for at least one of the two small outside roles we just copped injuries in. If he isn't getting a call up now when will he?

I don't rate him but I am very annoyed when the club also doesn't rate him but keeps him on the list.

azabob
22-04-2022, 11:03 AM
Game 200 for Stef Martin this week.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 11:07 AM

Hes been one of the better performing VFL players and is surely being groomed for at least one of the two small outside roles we just copped injuries in. If he isn't getting a call up now when will he?

I don't rate him but I am very annoyed when the club also doesn't rate him but keeps him on the list.

Young players are kept on the list as there is a chance they will develop and become a good player. Some players take longer to develop, especially talls. Tim English is a good example, some woofers wanted to trade him not that long ago.

Liam Picken started at Collingwood as an 18 year old but they didn't think he would make it, and eventually in his early 20s we rookied him.

I agree we keep some players a bit too long, but you need your backups and soldiers as well.

As for West, I can't see he will make it, but you never know.

Axe Man
22-04-2022, 11:08 AM

Because he signed a contract extension for 2021 and 2022 back in 2019. Don't ask me how I could possibly know this.

Ozza
22-04-2022, 11:45 AM

I'm annoyed he isn't in the team this week.

When Garcia, VDM, JJ, Hunter, Wallis, Hannan are all out - and McNeil, McComb picked ahead of him, as well as Butler previously - it is very clear he is not rated by the coach.

Grantysghost
22-04-2022, 11:51 AM

When Garcia, VDM, JJ, Hunter, Wallis, Hannan are all out - and McNeil, McComb picked ahead of him, as well as Butler previously - it is very clear he is not rated by the coach.

Well we know he holds a grudge (it's a place to park you car) so lets hope the dad dummy spit hasn't clouded his views on Rhylee.

The sins of the fathers shall be visited upon the sons?

bornadog
22-04-2022, 11:55 AM

All those players have performed better than West in either the VFL or the AFL.

Happy Days
22-04-2022, 11:58 AM
I mean, I personally would’ve picked West, but it’s not illogical that McComb would be considered for Lachie Hunter’s position before West right? They seem to be more aligned as players.

Axe Man
22-04-2022, 12:02 PM

Or perhaps he just isn't in as good form as some others at the moment?

McNeil has shown more at AFL level than West ever has. Butler was picked for a wing role on the back of impressive VFL from, not a role suited to West.

McComb v West is a fair comparison but Robbie seems to have been in better form and wasn't drafted in his mid 20s not to play. McComb also seems better equipped to play wing than West if required.

It is only round 6, if his form stacks up and a position is available he should get an opportunity at some stage. Bevo usually likes to give most of the list a run.

EasternWest
22-04-2022, 12:08 PM
Don't ask me how I could possibly know this.

You're not my Dad. How could you possibly know this?

Ozza
22-04-2022, 12:13 PM
Well we know he holds a grudge (it's a place to park you car) so lets hope the dad dummy spit hasn't clouded his views on Rhylee.

The dummy spit of Scott isn't a factor in the decision making on Rhylee at all, I can assure you of that much at least.

MrMahatma
22-04-2022, 12:16 PM

Rhylee is Batman?!

Grantysghost
22-04-2022, 12:17 PM
Rhylee is Batman?!

Hahaha - yes I just watched it, busted.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 12:18 PM
Or perhaps he just isn't in as good form as some others at the moment?

McNeil has shown more at AFL level than West ever has. Butler was picked for a wing role on the back of impressive VFL from, not a role suited to West.

McComb v West is a fair comparison but Robbie seems to have been in better form and wasn't drafted in his mid 20s not to play. McComb also seems better equipped to play wing than West if required.

It is only round 6, if his form stacks up and a position is available he should get an opportunity at some stage. Bevo usually likes to give most of the list a run.

Spot on Axe Man

I have not been impressed with him i the last two VFL games that I attended.

eg: Last week at the VFL, with the game in the balance and less than a goal in it, twice West stuffed up with minutes to go. First he had a shot from 30 metres and missed, then 1 minute later when the scores were level and he was running into an open goal decided to turn around and handball to another player. It was a wild handball and North pounced took the ball to the other end and kicked a goal.

He needs to keep working hard and he may or maynot make it, but needs to give himself every chance.

westbulldog
22-04-2022, 12:19 PM
As an observation this game might have been ideal to give Sweet a run instead of making him emergency for the nth time as English is out, Martins ability to run out a game is suspect and in Keath's absence Schache will help the defence.

Happy Days
22-04-2022, 12:19 PM
Batman would be so good at footy but only if he played as Bruce Wayne so the commentators could talk about which private school he went to.

Grantysghost
22-04-2022, 12:23 PM
Batman would be so good at footy but only if he played as Bruce Wayne so the commentators could talk about which private school he went to.

He's so emo now i think if he was tackled he just sit cross legged on the ground picking at the grass, hair flopped across one eye philosophising about the injustices persecuted on Gotham's residents.

Actually Rhylee might be alright in that role.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 12:28 PM
As an observation this game might have been ideal to give Sweet a run instead of making him emergency for the nth time as English is out, Martins ability to run out a game is suspect and in Keath's absence Schache will help the defence.

Sweet has had two weeks off with concussion, so may not be ready

GVGjr
22-04-2022, 12:33 PM

In some instances form at the VFL isn't a strong consideration for team selection.
West is clearly not meeting Bevo's and the MC's requirements so I'll accept that they're making the right call here.
It's annoying because we aren't giving him a chance to show his worth but maybe we have to back the MC.

Bulldog4life
22-04-2022, 01:41 PM
We are really going to miss Tim. His possessions and marking around the ground as well as his improving ruck work makes him one of the most important players in our side if not the most important.

Before I Die
22-04-2022, 02:04 PM

Reading the VFL player summaries indicates he is not the same style of player as any of those mentioned above. He gets credits for his tough, uncompromising play around packs when on the ball, but there is a clear message that he still has work to do on his forward craft. The senior team doesn’t need another in and under on baller at the moment. It needs pace and outside skills for the wing, and pace and forward skills for the half forward flank. I think West will make it eventually, but he is a fair way back in the line for his preferred position.

Before I Die
22-04-2022, 02:09 PM
We are really going to miss Tim. His possessions and marking around the ground as well as his improving ruck work makes him one of the most important players in our side if not the most important.

Agreed. This situation is why we have Martin on the list. Hopefully his body will allow him to bullock and compete for a few weeks until Tim is back.

Swoop
22-04-2022, 02:53 PM

I understand the idea of Sweet but even prior to his 2 week concussion, his form hasn't warranted selection. If he's struggling to compete against VFL quality ruckman he isn't going to be the immediate solution that people are looking for.

Martin does cop some flack but in his defence, he can stand side by side with the likes of Gawn and Grundy to simply compete and bring the ball down for our midfield. His form has been strong at VFL and his selection is warranted.

Sedat
22-04-2022, 03:28 PM
Martin does cop some flack but in his defence, he can stand side by side with the likes of Gawn and Grundy to simply compete and bring the ball down for our midfield. His form has been strong at VFL and his selection is warranted.
He certainly did that in the GF last year - unfortunately Luke Jackson was another story altogether :(

He's our emergency break glass option and we are in an emergency. Go well Stef.

Mofra
22-04-2022, 03:29 PM
I understand the idea of Sweet but even prior to his 2 week concussion, his form hasn't warranted selection. If he's struggling to compete against VFL quality ruckman he isn't going to be the immediate solution that people are looking for.

A lot of us are glad Martin is still with us, although for some of us we were hoping it was just in a mentoring capacity and we'd have another AFL standard ruckman on the list to support English.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 03:42 PM
A lot of us are glad Martin is still with us, although for some of us we were hoping it was just in a mentoring capacity and we'd have another AFL standard ruckman on the list to support English.

He has trimmed up and looks pretty fit and moving well, so hopefully he can last.

Tim is looking at 2 to 3 weeks, so maybe we will also see Sweet get a go depending on his form.

Mofra
22-04-2022, 04:09 PM
He has trimmed up and looks pretty fit and moving well, so hopefully he can last.

Tim is looking at 2 to 3 weeks, so maybe we will also see Sweet get a go depending on his form.
Is Sweet even playing this week or does he take another week off with concussion? He'd definitely need a solid bit of VFL from under his belt before being considered.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 04:10 PM
Is Sweet even playing this week or does he take another week off with concussion? He'd definitely need a solid bit of VFL from under his belt before being considered.

He has been named.

FrediKanoute
22-04-2022, 08:27 PM
All those players have performed better than West in either the VFL or the AFL.

Really? Reading Varcoe's reports and West has had as strong a start to the year. I am a fan of the kid. I like what he can do in traffic.