PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round Nine v Collingwood at Marvel

Scraggers
22-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round Eight match against Port Adelaide for our Round Nine match against Collingwood at Marvel on Friday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
06-05-2022, 07:55 PM
Bump

Hotdog60
06-05-2022, 11:26 PM
Can we use top up players?

Scraggers
06-05-2022, 11:43 PM
I would hope that English, Keath and Bont are all ready to come back in. Depending on injuries is who goes out. I hope Buku gets another week or two

angelopetraglia
06-05-2022, 11:47 PM
Based simply on output tonight I can't see how the following get a game.

Vanda. Injured so out anyway.
McNeil. Just doesn't do enough.
Scott. Maybe a COVID pass. But 8 touches from a wing?
Smith. Only 11 touches on the other wing? Some seriously week contests.
Martin. Playing like he has lead weights in his boots. He is cooked. Finished. Can't play again.

Happy Days
06-05-2022, 11:53 PM
I don’t think we ever need to see Martin again.

G-Mo77
06-05-2022, 11:56 PM
Get on the training track forum, this could be your chance.

josie
06-05-2022, 11:59 PM
Cleary might be a smokie, although not very tall he’s been good in VFL and possibly play better than Williams who I think is in poor form.

Some players only staying in because cupboard almost bare (McNeil, Scott, Roarke, Cordy, McComb)

Presuming worst case for injuries:
In: Bont, Keath, English, Cleary, West, Schache
Out: O’Brien (inj), Gardner (inj), Martin, VDM (inj), Weightman (inj), Williams

Could Dunks have delayed concussion with that tackle that led to his free kick and goal?

Happy Days
07-05-2022, 12:00 AM
With all the injuries I’d be hesitant to drop any of them. They left it all out there and there’s gonna be plenty of moving parts anyway.

angelopetraglia
07-05-2022, 12:08 AM
Odds on this week we get hit by some COVID protocols. I can just see it. When it rains, it pours.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 12:11 AM
Cleary might be a smokie, although not very tall he’s been good in VFL and possibly play better than Williams who I think is in poor form.

Some players only staying in because cupboard almost bare (McNeil, Scott, Roarke, Cordy, McComb)

Presuming worst case for injuries:
In: Bont, Keath, English, Cleary, West, Schache
Out: O’Brien (inj), Gardner (inj), Martin, VDM (inj), Weightman (inj), Williams

Could Dunks have delayed concussion with that tackle that led to his free kick and goal?

That was nasty. The side of his head was bruised and getting darker. Dare say he will have a headache tonight.

Vred
07-05-2022, 12:17 AM
Out:
Cody Weightman (Collar Bone)
Ryan Gardner (Ankle)
Tim O'Brian (Calf)
VDM (Hammy)
Josh Dunkley (Concussion)
Martin

In:
Bont
Keath
English
Wallis
JUH
Schache

Happy Days
07-05-2022, 12:18 AM
That was nasty. The side of his head was bruised and getting darker. Dare say he will have a headache tonight.

Nah hes a show pony Jeemak told me so.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 12:22 AM

It's like he wants him out or something.

FrediKanoute
07-05-2022, 01:00 AM
Can't see Wally coming in as he was 1 to 2 weeks and with a foot we should take 2 weeks. These guys are a lock for out:

Out:
Ryan Gardner (Ankle)
Tim O'Brian (Calf)
VDM (Hammy)
Martin - too old and slow. Got burnt tonight

but I think a couple more are lucky - McComb, Scott and McNeil. Rourke you could add, but I doubt we have anyone else we can add.

Ins:

Keath - maybe
English - Hopefully
Bont - I hope so
Schache - if Gardner is out and O'Brien's out then he has to come back in unless we go with Crozier
West - Dunks replacement/Flea/VdM replacement

Would persist with Khamis - thought he was ok. Made some good decoy runs and created space for Naughts. I think he may improve if he gets more game time.

jeemak
07-05-2022, 01:35 AM

It's like he wants him out or something.

Replace Brian with Jeemak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzRpOFQ0U8Y

SquirrelGrip
07-05-2022, 08:18 AM
With Cody and VDM out for a significant period (plus Garcia), who becomes our small pressure forward? West surely at least throws himself at the ball. Maybe Arthur for his pace? Does Caleb move forward?

Bulldog4life
07-05-2022, 11:11 AM
Replace Brian with Jeemak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzRpOFQ0U8Y

Poor Brian and wife were killed in the bush fires in 2009.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2022, 12:54 PM
Out:
Ryan Gardner (Ankle)
Tim O'Brian (Calf)
VDM (Hammy)
Martin

In:
Bont
Keath
English
Wallis
JUH
Schache

Looks about right to me, subject to seeing how injuries turn out.

Scraggers
07-05-2022, 01:11 PM
With Cody and VDM out for a significant period (plus Garcia), who becomes our small pressure forward? West surely at least throws himself at the ball. Maybe Arthur for his pace? Does Caleb move forward?

I would like to see Arthur replace Weightman. I think it’s a good swap. I love Arthur’s energy.

DOG GOD
07-05-2022, 01:18 PM
I would like to see Arthur replace Weightman. I think it’s a good swap. I love Arthur’s energy.
With Weightman gone, we need a fwd who can chase, chase hard and has pace. Arthur it is. No one else on our list comes under this equation.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 01:48 PM
Poor Brian and wife were killed in the bush fires in 2009.

Are you replacing jeemak in that sense?

(disclaimer very tragic).

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 01:49 PM
With Weightman gone, we need a fwd who can chase, chase hard and has pace. Arthur it is. No one else on our list comes under this equation.

West? Arthur is too raw yet for mine.

GVGjr
07-05-2022, 02:00 PM

West should be considered before Arthur but we might be desperate for a good news story.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 02:05 PM
West should be considered before Arthur but we might be desperate for a good news story.

I won't be cynical, but it is Sir Doug Nicholls round.

It would be an awesome story for sure but West has to be rewarded.

DOG GOD
07-05-2022, 02:21 PM
West doesn’t have pace does he ? If we don’t get pace in there, the ball will come out with absolute ease.
I’m not sure what the answer is. If West was to be considered, then surely it would’ve been before the selection of McComb.
We need a small crumbing fwd with pace and even though Arthur is raw, maybe it’s just that we need.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 02:26 PM
West doesn’t have pace does he ? If we don’t get pace in there, the ball will come out with absolute ease.
I’m not sure what the answer is. If West was to be considered, then surely it would’ve been before the selection of McComb.
We need a small crumbing fwd with pace and even though Arthur is raw, maybe it’s just that we need.

On principle I agree however Jones isn't a small forward he's a winger.
West has a bit of the Clay Smith's about him for me I'd love to see him get a run of games.

Hotdog60
07-05-2022, 02:42 PM
West can come in for Weightman and Jones for Vandermeer

Bullies
07-05-2022, 03:36 PM
I won't be cynical, but it is Sir Doug Nicholls round.

It would be an awesome story for sure but West has to be rewarded. Surely West can take the spot of McComb and Arthur for Weightman.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 03:38 PM
Surely West can take the spot of McComb and Arthur for Weightman.

Do you think McComb will be dropped with all the injuries?

Bullies
07-05-2022, 03:41 PM
Do you think McComb will be dropped with all the injuries? After his last 3 games absolutely.

DOG GOD
07-05-2022, 03:46 PM
Do you think McComb will be dropped with all the injuries?
Probably not ;)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2022, 04:00 PM
Footscray having a bye this weekend couldn't have come at a worse time. We really need to see some guys put their hand up for selection.

azabob
07-05-2022, 04:10 PM
Footscray having a bye this weekend couldn't have come at a worse time. We really need to see some guys put their hand up for selection.

Not sure it would've made a difference, those boys are going just as bad as the seniors.

bornadog
07-05-2022, 04:54 PM
Not sure it would've made a difference, those boys are going just as bad as the seniors.

They won last week

EasternWest
07-05-2022, 05:10 PM
They won last week

So did the seniors.

bornadog
07-05-2022, 06:13 PM
So did the seniors.

Not the point

azabob
07-05-2022, 06:31 PM
Not the point

What's the point then?

The VFL team has won two games, seniors have won three games. No one exactly banging the door down for selection.

The teams we beat are in the bottom three on the ladder.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 07:09 PM
What's the point then?

The VFL team has won two games, seniors have won three games. No one exactly banging the door down for selection.

The teams we beat are in the bottom three on the ladder.
Clear correlation for mine.

EasternWest
07-05-2022, 07:35 PM
Not the point

So what's your point then because you gave no context at all.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2022, 07:45 PM
I’m putting up Sweet to replace Martin.
Anyone for Smith
West for Cody
Schacke for Obrien
Bont for Vaders
Keith for Gards

HOSE B ROMERO
07-05-2022, 08:22 PM
With 3 definite outs through injury (and Gardy maybe), i doubt if there will be too many omissions if any at all. Bevo didn't sound super confident that English, Keith and Bont would be right. Bevo doesn't normally do wholesale changes.

jeemak
07-05-2022, 08:39 PM

Only saving grace is they shouldn't be clocking up injuries......save for the training match sim they probably did today.

Mantis
07-05-2022, 09:15 PM
They won last week

In a game against Essendon who are on the bottom of the ladder and haven’t won a game… we beat them by 13pts.

So it’s entirely relevant that the form of our VFL team and the AFL listed players playing at that level is a big concern.

The Underdog
07-05-2022, 09:24 PM
West can come in for Weightman and Jones for Vandermeer

I like Arthur’s potential, but he’s a fair way off senior footy from what I’ve seen.

bornadog
07-05-2022, 10:45 PM
So what's your point then because you gave no context at all.

I see the VFL team as a development comp for the Bulldog listed players. What Aza said was just having a go at the VFL team by saying they are just as bad??. What does that even mean?

If you look at the composition of the AFL players in the VFL, they are all young with very little experience and they are slowly developing. Cleary has shown some form, as has West, Buku got promoted, Jones has shown some flashes, Sweet has a way to go but will build up and JUH well we know what he is eventually capable of.

It is a shame this week there is a bye

EasternWest
07-05-2022, 11:07 PM
I see the VFL team as a development comp for the Bulldog listed players. What Aza said was just having a go at the VFL team by saying they are just as bad??. What does that even mean?

If you look at the composition of the AFL players in the VFL, they are all young with very little experience and they are slowly developing. Cleary has shown some form, as has West, Buku got promoted, Jones has shown some flashes, Sweet has a way to go but will build up and JUH well we know what he is eventually capable of.

It is a shame this week there is a bye

Lots of speculation there, and that's not permitted on this board.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-05-2022, 11:50 PM
Go Doggies!
The best script is we have enough time yet to sneek into the finals with momentum. We are only percentage out of the eight. We want results like tonight with bottom sides beating our competitors. We are not out of the season yet.
Injuries are our enemy but we have some of our best returning second half of season.
Ins: Lefties Keath, JUH, Schache and Bont to return.

Bulldog Joe
08-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Only saving grace is they shouldn't be clocking up injuries......save for the training match sim they probably did today.

Not sure about this.

Keath and English both have injuries from training and JJ was just in the warmup

Bulldog Joe
08-05-2022, 11:52 AM
Go Doggies!
The best script is we have enough time yet to sneek into the finals with momentum. We are only percentage out of the eight. We want results like tonight with bottom sides beating our competitors. We are not out of the season yet.
Injuries are our enemy but we have some of our best returning second half of season.
Ins: Lefties Keath, JUH, Schache and Bont to return.

My best script is we simply get on a roll starting this week and win our next 17.

boydogs
10-05-2022, 01:06 AM
Khamis was OK in space but awful in the contest. Like an early years Bailey Dale. He'll probably get games given our injuries but he's still raw

hujsh
10-05-2022, 10:24 AM
I actually did like that Khamis didn't fly at every contest and stayed down occasionally. Too many of our players want to compete with the best contested mark in the comp instead of roving the few he misses out on

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2022, 11:24 AM
Khamis was OK in space but awful in the contest. Like an early years Bailey Dale. He'll probably get games given our injuries but he's still raw

I actually did like that Khamis didn't fly at every contest and stayed down occasionally. Too many of our players want to compete with the best contested mark in the comp instead of roving the few he misses out on

Both posts are correct IMO.

Khamis is still raw and he isn't great in a contest, which is why I don't like him as a defender. However, he moves fairly well and actually got to some nice spots as a forward. His skills are very clean and he didn't get in Naughton's way.

There's a chance he's similar to Schache, but I think he might be a better mark and slightly more agile.

Either way, we need to figure out if he's worth persisting with so he needs a chunk of games this year.

Bulldog4life
10-05-2022, 12:37 PM
Buku has just started playing forward so he has lots of forward craft to learn. Just needs time. In the VFL he showed he is a good kick for goal which is a big plus.

Mantis
10-05-2022, 12:40 PM
Buku has just started playing forward so he has lots of forward craft to learn. Just needs time. In the VFL he showed he is a good kick for goal which is a big plus.

Are you confident that Matt Spangher can fast track his development?

Bulldog4life
10-05-2022, 12:50 PM
Are you confident that Matt Spangher can fast track his development?

No but it is pretty hard for us supporters to know the strengths of Spanger. He might be end up one of the best assistants or one of the worst. Time will tell. Getting back to Buke, experience especially as a forward is lacking at the moment but in time he might be a regular in the team. Who knows? No doubt overall we most likely miss Hansen, Gia and King as assistants but to what extent I have no idea.

Swoop
10-05-2022, 12:56 PM
Buku's forward craft has already been fast tracked considering he was moved there a few rounds into the season. He'll continue to get better as the season unfolds. He has the athletic attributes to be a successful AFL player but you need to be extremely motivated and determined to extract the best from yourself. Purely based on my observations, this will be the key to his success or downfall.

He has shown promise in the small VFL sample size and as others have mentioned, he complimented Naughton without taking his space.

The Spangher question feels impossible to answer without hindsight. I would assume that he's already been working closely with him as a forward. Perhaps it was Spangher's idea to move him forward? Happy to re-visit this but I don't see any reason why he couldn't develop him.

boydogs
10-05-2022, 09:52 PM

I'll clarify, when the ball hit the ground he was easily brushed aside

bornadog
10-05-2022, 11:38 PM
Out: VDM, Weightman, TOB, Martin

In: Bont, English, Keath, JUH

MrMahatma
11-05-2022, 08:41 AM

I’m down with that. And with 4 points coming our way.

azabob
11-05-2022, 10:51 AM

Where do you see the following lining up

Naughton, JUH, Khamis, Cordy, Keath, Gardner

I would only play one of Khamis and JUH.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 11:14 AM
Where do you see the following lining up

Naughton, JUH, Khamis, Cordy, Keath, Gardner

I would only play one of Khamis and JUH.

Cordy, Keath, Gardner backline

Naughton, JUH, Khamis Forward

Happy Days
11-05-2022, 11:17 AM
Sounds like we’re copping that flu that a few teams have got right now. English a confirmed non-starter, with a couple of others unwell.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 11:23 AM
From Press Conf:

* Tim English won’t play for the Dogs this Friday night. Has missed most of the week with illness

* Father-son Sam Darcy will play his first game of the season in the VFL. 60-70% game time.

* Alex Keath to return, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan “unlikely” to play AFL

Axe Man
11-05-2022, 11:50 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/nz1gHTTT/bont.jpg (https://postimg.cc/34dn1XsD)

Axe Man
11-05-2022, 11:54 AM
Cordy, Keath, Gardner backline

Naughton, JUH, Khamis Forward

Collingwood don't really have any tall forwards, we won't play 3 talls back.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 12:12 PM

Sounds like JUH won't play, so Cordy to Fwd line interchanging with Khamis like last week.

Mantis
11-05-2022, 12:13 PM

Yep, only Mihocek who plays as a hybrid tall & a rookie ruck up forward with any real height... If Keath & Gardner are good to go then Cordy either plays forward or not at all... have a guess which option I'd prefer?

Axe Man
11-05-2022, 12:25 PM
Yep, only Mihocek who plays as a hybrid tall & a rookie ruck up forward with any real height... If Keath & Gardner are good to go then Cordy either plays forward or not at all... have a guess which option I'd prefer?

Cordy for PM?

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 01:07 PM
Cleary is in for his first game.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1123515

azabob
11-05-2022, 01:08 PM
Cleary to debut under Friday night Lights

It will be debut delight on Friday night for the Western Bulldogs with intercept defender Luke Cleary pulling on the red, white and blue for the first time.

Cleary’s story is a tale of patience and persistence.

After being overlooked in his first draft, the 19-year-old impressed for the Sandringham Dragons in 2021 and was rewarded by the Dogs, drafted at Pick 61 last year.

A mid-size defender with an elite kick, Cleary has put together a string of positive performances with Footscray, allowing for an opportunity at senior level.

Cleary will slot into the back six at the expense of Tim O’Brien, who misses after injuring his calf against Port Adelaide.

1eyedog
11-05-2022, 01:16 PM
Another 6 foot half back flanker? Anyone who watched Footscray got a feel on him? What are his strengths? TYIA.

Just looked him up, 190 is he competent in the air?

Mantis
11-05-2022, 01:20 PM
Another 6 foot half back flanker? Anyone who watched Footscray got anything feel on him? What are his strengths? TYIA.

He's 190cm so almost 6'3".

Good user of the ball... slow start to the year, but has been a good performer the last few games where he has developed his intercept game. Deserves an opportunity given our deficiencies in defence.

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 01:22 PM
Another 6 foot half back flanker? Anyone who watched Footscray got a feel on him? What are his strengths? TYIA.

**ignore I'm talking about Parker**

He's a nice run and carry player for his size. Has a lovely foot on him. I was impressed. Not sure about his speed be interesting to see that at AFL level.

In the air not sure others may know.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-05-2022, 01:23 PM
He's 190cm so almost 6'3".

Good user of the ball... slow start to the year, but has been a good performer the last few games where he has developed his intercept game. Deserves an opportunity given our deficiencies in defence.

Providing Keath plays and with Cleary debuting, I am not sure how we justify playing Cordy.

Mantis
11-05-2022, 01:27 PM
Providing Keath plays and with Cleary debuting, I am not sure how we justify playing Cordy.

He's a forward these days isn't he? *inserts power chucking emoji*

mjp
11-05-2022, 01:29 PM

Forward.

Axe Man
11-05-2022, 01:30 PM

As a forward and relief ruck, where he has been playing. Obviously it is arguable whether he has been performing well enough in this role but it's not linked to Keath or Cleary.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 01:34 PM

He has very little strength and is easily pushed out of the contest.

G-Mo77
11-05-2022, 01:41 PM

Perfect fit then. Will struggle at AFL level like much of our VFL team. Hope he does well but just don't see it happening.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 01:55 PM
Perfect fit then. Will struggle at AFL level like much of our VFL team. Hope he does well but just don't see it happening.

He is 78kg

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 02:00 PM
He is 78kg

Is he, well I'm totally getting him mixed up with Charlie Parker.

Axe Man
11-05-2022, 02:09 PM
He is 78kg

That was likely when he was drafted, hopefully has put on a few kilos since then. Maybe you can go down to training and lift him up and give us an estimate? ;)

bornadog
11-05-2022, 02:13 PM
That was likely when he was drafted, hopefully has put on a few kilos since then. Maybe you can go down to training and lift him up and give us an estimate? ;)

Done :D

The Bulldogs Bite
11-05-2022, 03:15 PM
He's a forward these days isn't he? *inserts power chucking emoji*

Forward.

So we're already 1 short?

;)

Surely Khamis/Naughton is enough.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 03:18 PM
So we're already 1 short?

;)

Surely Khamis/Naughton is enough.

We are going with the same setup as last week.

azabob
11-05-2022, 03:20 PM
From Press Conf:

* Tim English won’t play for the Dogs this Friday night. Has missed most of the week with illness

Appears the flu was the driving factor for Bontempelli missing last week. A couple of others are impacted, Beveridge did play it down which makes me worried we are hit by the flu more than the club is letting on.

Based on Beveridge comments on Darcy I expect he will play forward in his first few games with stints in the ruck. Beveridge mentioned English (unprompted) when asked about Darcy - so maybe the plan is Darcy as our back up ruckman next year and beyond.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 03:34 PM
Appears the flu was the driving factor for Bontempelli missing last week. A couple of others are impacted, Beveridge did play it down which makes me worried we are hit by the flu more than the club is letting on.

Based on Beveridge comments on Darcy I expect he will play forward in his first few games with stints in the ruck. Beveridge mentioned English (unprompted) when asked about Darcy - so maybe the plan is Darcy as our back up ruckman next year and beyond.

Darcy will play ruck in the future, in my opinion.

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 03:35 PM

He's 207cm now that's a big lad. Gawn, English realm.

Mantis
11-05-2022, 03:36 PM
We are going with the same setup as last week.

The definition of insanity is....

Hamstrung by the number of outs, but FMD!

azabob
11-05-2022, 03:37 PM

Where does English play?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-05-2022, 03:42 PM
Centre Half Forward

bornadog
11-05-2022, 03:55 PM
Where does English play?

Darcy Fwd/Ruck

English Ruck/Fwd

No More Cordy in that role

Mantis
11-05-2022, 04:05 PM
Darcy Fwd/Ruck

English Ruck/Fwd

No More Cordy in that role

Going to be a tall forward line with Bruce, Naughton & JUH to slot in as well.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 04:16 PM

Well maybe he needs to play in the backline?

In any case it will be awhile before he becomes best 22, and by then Bruce will be in his 30s

I still think he will play rucktime.

Grantysghost
11-05-2022, 04:21 PM
Well maybe he needs to play in the backline?

In any case it will be awhile before he becomes best 22, and by then Bruce will be in his 30s

I still think he will play rucktime.

At that height he's going to play some ruck.

He and English swapping forward would be pretty formidable.

We do need defenders though.

Happy Days
11-05-2022, 04:31 PM
Get as many athletic skilled tall guys into the side as possible and then figure out the rest later. Being able to dominate in the air between the arcs is as valuable as anything in the AFL today and apart from English and Naughton we suck real bad at it.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 04:37 PM
Correction made

Get as many athletic skilled tall guys into the side as possible and then figure out the rest later. Being able to dominate in the air between the arcs is as valuable as anything in the AFL today and apart from English and Naughton and Bruce we suck real bad at it.

bornadog
11-05-2022, 10:17 PM
Martin may have proppy knee. Sweet to play?

soupman
11-05-2022, 10:37 PM

Realisyically Darcy will take 3-4 years to ind his feet. Bu that time Bruce is done. Darcy could even spend his first couple of years down back to adjust to the level theoretically.

1eyedog
12-05-2022, 10:26 AM

Thanks BAD. Doesn't sound like he's developed enough to be a one on one player. Hope he can get a bit of it on the outside and perhaps use his intercepting ability as a 3rd up in aerial contests.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-05-2022, 11:25 AM
Saw something come through on Twitter this morning that indicated Sweet would play tomorrow night, as Martin has some knee issues that have flared up.
Have not seen this on any other platform so not sure if it's true or not.

azabob
12-05-2022, 12:35 PM
Saw something come through on Twitter this morning that indicated Sweet would play tomorrow night, as Martin has some knee issues that have flared up.

Mitch Clearly ran with that last night.

Axe Man
12-05-2022, 12:49 PM
Good opportunity for Sweet if he does get a game. Up against a second string ruckman in Darcy Cameron a less daunting assignment than Grundy. Cameron a little in the English mould in that he doesn't get big hitout numbers but gets involved around the ground (16 and 21 possessions the past 2 weeks as number 1 ruck).

Sweet should be able to get his fair share of hitouts but needs to get involved in general play and also limit Cameron's influence.

bornadog
12-05-2022, 12:58 PM

mmmm

Martin may have proppy knee. Sweet to play?

Axe Man
12-05-2022, 01:11 PM
mmmm

So what you are saying is you started a rumor about Martin's knee and now the media have picked it up? ;)

Happy Days
12-05-2022, 01:15 PM
Sweet, McComb, Scott *and* a first gamer who might float away if not tied down? Are we playing against South Croydon? Otherwise I reckon we lose again.

Danjul
12-05-2022, 02:38 PM
So what you are saying is you started a rumor about Martin's knee and now the media have picked it up? ;)
I heard this on the weekend. Is it based on something seen during the game?

Danjul
12-05-2022, 02:43 PM
Sweet, McComb, Scott *and* a first gamer who might float away if not tied down? Are we playing against South Croydon? Otherwise I reckon we lose again.
Don’t forget McNeil and Khamis. That’s about 30 games experience. More than enough.

Mantis
12-05-2022, 03:33 PM

You can't have an injury list like ours and not put out a team that doesn't look like something that's AFL standard.

MrMahatma
12-05-2022, 03:56 PM
We still have lots of good players.

I think we win but prob only just.

bornadog
12-05-2022, 04:10 PM
We still have lots of good players.

I think we win but prob only just.

Bevo mentioned there were a few ill this week. I wonder who else comes out.

Axe Man
12-05-2022, 04:20 PM
Bevo mentioned there were a few ill this week. I wonder who else comes out.

On Footy Classified they said there were players in hospital they were that sick. I'm hoping the worst ones are already injured/not in the team. Can't afford to lose any more players.

Happy Days
12-05-2022, 04:35 PM
You can't have an injury list like ours and not put out a team that doesn't look like something that's AFL standard.

I know and that’s fair but doesn’t mean I’m gonna enjoy watching it.

WBFC4FFC
12-05-2022, 05:34 PM
On Footy Classified they said there were players in hospital they were that sick. I'm hoping the worst ones are already injured/not in the team. Can't afford to lose any more players.

If English is missing because of the Flu, then his housemates are susceptible to also missing. Potentially Naughton (unfortunately) and (hopefully) Lipinski!

bornadog
12-05-2022, 05:36 PM
If English is missing because of the Flu, then his housemates are susceptible to also missing. Potentially Naughton (unfortunately) and (hopefully) Lipinski!

Didn't Tim move out?

WBFC4FFC
12-05-2022, 05:51 PM
Didn't Tim move out?

Thought I read an article in The Age in early April that they were all still housemates. Things may have changed since then.

1eyedog
12-05-2022, 06:01 PM
Didn't Tim move out?

Pretty sure yeah.

Grantysghost
12-05-2022, 06:26 PM
Didn't Tim move out?

Yes. It was reported in an article re Lipinski.

Edit :

Lipinski still lives with former teammate Aaron Naughton, but Tim English has just moved out of their place in Port Melbourne. He just restarted a business course online and will continue to gradually tick that off while he builds his game in the AFL.

EasternWest
12-05-2022, 07:15 PM

They're the Bulldogs too. I believe that's called a blue on blue crime.

azabob
12-05-2022, 07:24 PM
B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Lachlan McNeil Jack Macrae, Anthony Scott
HF: Bailey Smith, Zaine Cordy, Tom Liberatore
F: Marcus Bontempelli Aaron Naughton, Buku Khamis
R: Jordon Sweet, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Robbie McComb, Luke Cleary, Rhylee West, Bailey Williams
Emer: Hayden Crozier, Arthur Jones, Roarke Smith, Josh Schache

In: Marcus Bontempelli, Alex Keath, Luke Cleary, Rhylee West, Jordon Sweet
Out: Cody Weightman (collarbone), Tim O’Brien (calf), Laith Vandermeer (hamstring), Stefan Martin (managed), Roarke Smith (omitted), Hayden Crozier (medi-sub)

DOG GOD
12-05-2022, 07:25 PM
B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Lachlan McNeil Jack Macrae, Anthony Scott
HF: Bailey Smith, Zaine Cordy, Tom Liberatore
F: Marcus Bontempelli Aaron Naughton, Buku Khamis
R: Jordon Sweet, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Robbie McComb, Luke Cleary, Rhylee West, Bailey Williams
Emer: Hayden Crozier, Arthur Jones, Roarke Smith, Josh Schache

In: Marcus Bontempelli, Alex Keath, Luke Cleary, Rhylee West, Jordon Sweet
Out: Cody Weightman (collarbone), Tim O’Brien (calf), Laith Vandermeer (hamstring), Stefan Martin (managed), Roarke Smith (omitted), Hayden Crozier (medi-sub)

Hmm that’s a pretty weak bench.

josie
12-05-2022, 07:29 PM
Really hope West and Sweet take there chance. Would be great if they step up and make selection of future teams a dilemma. Hope Schache is sub.

Grantysghost
12-05-2022, 07:31 PM
Good to see West get a crack.

Is managed the new general soreness?

azabob
12-05-2022, 07:31 PM
Any one have insight why McComb over R.Smith?

Happy Days
12-05-2022, 07:39 PM
They're the Bulldogs too. I believe that's called a blue on blue crime.

When I was really little my dad used to take me to South Croydon games and tell me that it was the actual Bulldogs. I can’t fully remember but pretty sure I bought it.

Axe Man
12-05-2022, 07:42 PM
When I was really little my dad used to take me to South Croydon games and tell me that it was the actual Bulldogs. I can’t fully remember but pretty sure I bought it.

I came home from footy training last night in a bulldogs jumper and my son asked me if I had been playing for the bulldogs.

EasternWest
12-05-2022, 07:47 PM

I passed them on the 1,000 steps one day and kept waiting for a face I recognised but in the end I worked out I was being scammed

I came home from footy training last night in a bulldogs jumper and my son asked me if I had been playing for the bulldogs.

Well, did you?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-05-2022, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Axe Man

Well, did you?[/QUOTE]

His secret is out EW, Axeman is really.... Zaine Cordy.... (and he's keen to meet a few from here at the Yarraville Nets) ��

jeemak
12-05-2022, 08:36 PM
Any one have insight why McComb over R.Smith?

Mate I think you know the answer to that.........!

EasternWest
12-05-2022, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Axe Man

Well, did you?

His secret is out EW, Axeman is really.... Zaine Cordy.... (and he's keen to meet a few from here at the Yarraville Nets) ��[/QUOTE]

I've seen Zaine with his shirt off. I don't know what the exact opposite of "more intimidated by an irate two year old" is, but that's my feelings.

Go_Dogs
12-05-2022, 09:09 PM
Big opportunity for Sweet and West.

Bont and Keath back is huge.

Not close enough to it this year to know too much about Cleary, but let’s see how he goes.

Game on.

azabob
12-05-2022, 09:52 PM
Mate I think you know the answer to that.........!

At one stage Roarke was Bevo’s boy, now nothing but tough love.

Hotdog60
12-05-2022, 09:59 PM
I think Roarke has been poor for a few weeks now so understandable.
He's has a few mates though and McComb was marginally better and injuries may have saved him.

meenies
12-05-2022, 10:47 PM
I hope we are clever and use West and McComb in the centre a lot as they have a good relationship and understanding with Sweet. We need to use that as an advantage.

MrMahatma
12-05-2022, 11:14 PM
I hope we are clever and use West and McComb in the centre a lot as they have a good relationship and understanding with Sweet. We need to use that as an advantage.

So boot Bont, Macrae, Libba, Smith, Treloar or Dunks out of the rotation for West or McComb?

Please… we win by dominating the middle. We don’t dominate anything with West and McComb near the middle.

josie
12-05-2022, 11:44 PM
So boot Bont, Macrae, Libba, Smith, Treloar or Dunks out of the rotation for West or McComb?

Please… we win by dominating the middle. We don’t dominate anything with West and McComb near the middle.

I actually hope Bevo does give them a bit of a go there. It plays to their strengths and McCombs suspect kicks are not as exposed. West is a clearance specialist at vfl level and I’m kinda confident he’d do so at afl level too if given a chance.

jazzadogs
13-05-2022, 12:33 AM
I think the flu is ripping through the club in much higher numbers than reported, and my expectations for tomorrow night are pretty low as a result - we can't afford for any of our 22 to be underdone, given the inexperience/youth we are putting out on the park.

I ditto the comments re: West and Mccomb in the middle though - choose the right moments, but given the issues many have voiced with our 'midfield dominance' not actually dominating I have no issue with trying something different. And if they're under packs feeding out handballs, then we don't have to watch them kick.

MrMahatma
13-05-2022, 12:36 AM
I think the flu is ripping through the club in much higher numbers than reported, and my expectations for tomorrow night are pretty low as a result - we can't afford for any of our 22 to be underdone, given the inexperience/youth we are putting out on the park.

I ditto the comments re: West and Mccomb in the middle though - choose the right moments, but given the issues many have voiced with our 'midfield dominance' not actually dominating I have no issue with trying something different. And if they're under packs feeding out handballs, then we don't have to watch them kick.

So we line up to hide the weaknesses of the last 2 picked, rather than maximising the strengths of the first few picked?

jazzadogs
13-05-2022, 12:41 AM
So we line up to hide the weaknesses of the last 2 picked, rather than maximising the strengths of the first few picked?

I did say 'choose the right moments' - you're not going to run a midfield of Sweet, Mccomb, West and Anthony Scott at once - but why not rotate more through there? Our midfield do not do enough defensively, and if there are others who will hold that role - then I have no issue with a Sweet, Bont, Macrae and West centre bounce, while Treloar is on a wing, Dunkley is half-forward and Libba is on the bench.

Last year we had an astoundingly low number of centre bounce attendees - I think until Dunkley's injury we had a grand total of 6 players (Martin, English, Bont, Macrae, Libba and Dunkley) attend a centre bounce. Let's get some variety, let's see the young guys use their strengths rather than sit on a flank and have no opportunity to show what they have.

FrediKanoute
13-05-2022, 03:45 AM
Good ins. Am pleased and just hope that Sweet/West?/(Schack if he plays ) take the opportunity and are also given an opportunity.

Glad that Khamis gets to go round again. A St.Albans boy.....we have a good record on the boys of the red triangle...

Looking forward to seeing how Luke Cleary goes.

Bullies
13-05-2022, 01:16 PM
I actually hope Bevo does give them a bit of a go there. It plays to their strengths and McCombs suspect kicks are not as exposed. West is a clearance specialist at vfl level and I’m kinda confident he’d do so at afl level too if given a chance. McComb would struggle as a loose man on the forward line.

Grantysghost
13-05-2022, 01:20 PM
McComb would struggle as a loose man on the forward line.

He would struggle to get a game for North.

Bullies
13-05-2022, 01:23 PM
I think Roarke has been poor for a few weeks now so understandable.
He's has a few mates though and McComb was marginally better and injuries may have saved him. There were no players left to drop both. It landed on heads and Roarke was out.

Jeanette54
13-05-2022, 04:25 PM
He would struggle to get a game for North.

I make a habit of watching games a second time, and it is quite revealing what you see when you are not screaming at the TV first time around. Some of our lower possession players do quite some heavy lifting around the play, which is not reflected in the stats. Robbie is one of these. Is there not still a place for "effort" players such as Roarke, Robbie and Zaine.

mjp
13-05-2022, 08:31 PM
Is there not still a place for "effort" players such as Roarke, Robbie and Zaine.

It's a team game mate. There's room for EVERYONE.

I actually don't get the angst with McComb. Maybe we shouldn't have picked him up - but it wasn't his fault we did. And again (I had this same issue with the criticism of Gardner when he first came it) whereas once these battlers who 'did it the hard way' would be celebrated by us as supporters, these days we just run them down.

The days of us laughing about things like:

Supporter 1: "We've got the Hawks this week - can you believe Dunstall kicked another 10 last week".
Supporter 2: "Don't worry, Crofty will take care of him".

Supporter 1 + 2: Laughing to each other and celebrating the fact that he might not be up to a task like 'that' but he would 100% die trying.

It feels like those days are done...we all want to do is celebrate the 'best' and take fire at the short-comings of everyone else. For some reason, pulling yourself up by your boot laces is no longer something that is admired.

Grantysghost
13-05-2022, 08:49 PM
It's a team game mate. There's room for EVERYONE.

I actually don't get the angst with McComb. Maybe we shouldn't have picked him up - but it wasn't his fault we did. And again (I had this same issue with the criticism of Gardner when he first came it) whereas once these battlers who 'did it the hard way' would be celebrated by us as supporters, these days we just run them down.

The days of us laughing about things like:

Supporter 1: "We've got the Hawks this week - can you believe Dunstall kicked another 10 last week".
Supporter 2: "Don't worry, Crofty will take care of him".

Supporter 1 + 2: Laughing to each other and celebrating the fact that he might not be up to a task like 'that' but he would 100% die trying.

It feels like those days are done...we all want to do is celebrate the 'best' and take fire at the short-comings of everyone else. For some reason, pulling yourself up by your boot laces is no longer something that is admired.

For me it's nothing to do with his journey or whether he had any choice in it and I'll always back a player in our colours.

It's I don't get the selection. We should've given a guy like Glass-McCasker a go as he's in an area of need. It also robs someone like West of opportunities.

mjp
13-05-2022, 09:13 PM
It's I don't get the selection. We should've given a guy like Glass-McCasker a go as he's in an area of need. It also robs someone like West of opportunities.

And I GET that. But for McComb, he didn't choose himself...it's almost like we blame HIM because he was selected and his performances/skill/selection is held over his head. Two week's back he had 22 and kicked 2. Was it pretty? Nope. Did he 100% do his job? 100% he did.

I just don't understand why McComb is criticised (or back in the day Gardner was criticised) because we selected them as over-age players from a non-traditional pathway. He's played 3x games...it's like he has chased this dream to the end of the rainbow and he was the one who actually found the gold (it's about as likely to find gold at the end of a rainbow as be drafted age 26 from the VFL)...but rather than support his selection and celebrate the effort he has put in, everything I see/read/hear is about how he should never have been picked up and he can't kick and is no good...

As an aside - McComb isn't robbing West of opportunities. Footy sides pick themselves (well, in most cases). If West wants opportunities (and I have long supported his inclusion in the team) it is a pretty simple scenario...PLAY "BETTER" (whatever that looks like). If you do that, it's amazing how opportunity finds you.

Grantysghost
13-05-2022, 09:26 PM
And I GET that. But for McComb, he didn't choose himself...it's almost like we blame HIM because he was selected and his performances/skill/selection is held over his head. Two week's back he had 22 and kicked 2. Was it pretty? Nope. Did he 100% do his job? 100% he did.

I just don't understand why McComb is criticised (or back in the day Gardner was criticised) because we selected them as over-age players from a non-traditional pathway. He's played 3x games...it's like he has chased this dream to the end of the rainbow and he was the one who actually found the gold (it's about as likely to find gold at the end of a rainbow as be drafted age 26 from the VFL)...but rather than support his selection and celebrate the effort he has put in, everything I see/read/hear is about how he should never have been picked up and he can't kick and is no good...

As an aside - McComb isn't robbing West of opportunities. Footy sides pick themselves (well, in most cases). If West wants opportunities (and I have long supported his inclusion in the team) it is a pretty simple scenario...PLAY "BETTER" (whatever that looks like). If you do that, it's amazing how opportunity finds you.

Agree with your point that we should back him and in no way should he be criticised due to his pathway.

He should be criticised on performance only.

Criticising the selection is about the list management / club.

Not sure I agree re West he has been pretty good of late in seconds and they play similar spots.

Lipinski was best on every week for eg.

mjp
13-05-2022, 09:38 PM
Not sure I agree re West he has been pretty good of late in seconds and they play similar spots.

Lipinski was best on every week for eg.

I get that West has been good. I get that Lipinski was excellent.

Ultimately Lipinski WAS rewarded (albeit not at our club) and that's OK...better than sooking it up, getting delisted and not getting another chance.

For West, maybe good hasn't been good 'enough'. Again, play BETTER. There are always things you can do better and behind the goals vision never lies during review.