PDA

View Full Version : Rating our list 2021: Rhylee West 14

Hotdog60
29-03-2022, 12:22 AM
Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.

I hope current performance doesn't reflect on last years assessment.

Hotdog60
29-03-2022, 12:23 AM
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Players/ChampIDImages/XLarge2022/1006127.png?i10c=img.resize(scale_height:0.504)

Father-son recruit Rhylee West made his way to the Kennel with pick number 26 in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft. A standout inside-midfielder with the Calder Cannons and Vic Metro in his junior years, West is renowned for his ability to win contested possession and apply pressure to the opposition. An AFL Academy Member in 2018, he averaged 22 disposals (50% contested), five clearances and four tackles throughout the 2018 National Under 18 Championships. In his first season on an AFL list, a late-season senior debut came for West in Round 19, 2019 against Fremantle following strong VFL form – which also saw him finish runner-up in the VFL’s JJ Liston Trophy.The 20-year-old played four senior games last season, showcasing his competitive nature and skill both as a midfielder and pressure forward. West signed a two-year extension, tying him to the Bulldogs until at least the end of 2022.
LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/1912/rhylee-west)

GVGjr
29-03-2022, 01:30 AM
He's a long way off it at the moment and I have to wonder if he has what it takes.
Needs to make the most of any chances he gets this season.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2022, 11:40 AM
Not sure where he fits or what he excels at.

Unlikely to be with us much longer if I had to guess.

bornadog
29-03-2022, 11:53 AM
Not sure where he fits or what he excels at.

Unlikely to be with us much longer if I had to guess.

agree on this. At this stage can't see him making it.

soupman
29-03-2022, 12:01 PM
This is his 4th season on the list and he doesn't look any closer to making it than his first season. No VFL combined with us being pretty good has limited his opportunities to impress, but is arguably the worst option we have in the one position we are willing to play him in, and lacks the attributes to play anywhere else.

Happy Days
29-03-2022, 01:27 PM
He really looked like he had something in 2019 - showed touch around goals, a good turn of pace, solid ball use and terrific tackling. But he’s gone backwards every year and hasn’t physically developed in any real way. I’d love to be proven wrong but think I’ve given up.

Grantysghost
29-03-2022, 01:35 PM
Has he regressed since his dad lashed out at Bevo?

I can't make a solid argument for why, other than maybe he's unhappy since that point.

I think he's got talent, but maybe only as an inside mid and he's down the queue for that.

Not sure why we don't play him there in the twos instead of Wallis for development purposes.

Went below average.

soupman
29-03-2022, 01:54 PM

I can't make a solid argument for why, other than maybe he's unhappy since that point.

I think he's got talent, but maybe only as an inside mid and he's down the queue for that.

Not sure why we don't play him there in the twos instead of Wallis for development purposes.

Went below average.

We do, or at least that's where he played last week.

Grantysghost
29-03-2022, 01:57 PM
We do, or at least that's where he played last week.

OK ta -- I thought we were using him as a small forward.

Mantis
29-03-2022, 01:59 PM

Went below average.

He spent pretty much all of his time on the ground as an inside mid on Friday against the Swans VFL... there was a bit of rotation with Wallis, Garcia, McComb & Sullivan, but West was a staple in the midfield.

Hotdog60
30-03-2022, 12:34 AM
At this stage unless there is some change like other have said he might not make it.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-03-2022, 01:45 PM
Like Wallis this son burns with desire to play for the team his dad did.
Like Wallis he may have the desire of his dad but not the talent.
He no doubt will improve with maturity if he is still on a list.

Mofra
30-03-2022, 03:42 PM
Has the ticker and the toughness, question marks about his execution.
I haven't given up on him bet there seems to be a few ahead of him right now.

boydogs
31-03-2022, 01:34 AM
Not getting a solid run at AFL level seems to have really affected his trajectory. Frantic ball getter with potential if he gets back on track

josie
31-03-2022, 06:06 PM
He looked so good in vfl - quick thinking, breaking tackles, clever hand passes, reasonable goal kicker if within 30/35m and decent field kick (although from memory mostly shorter length) in last 3 or so years. Last week I thought he looked a shadow of himself. I know he struggled at afl when given a go in last season or two - almost like he is trying too hard, and trying to do too much when he has possession, if that makes sense - but really think he can make it if given opportunities. A potential Libba replacement when libba hangs up the boots or if Dunkley wants more money elsewhere then a Dunks replacement.

He did look promising in his first few AFL games - was that 3 years ago now?

I loved watching his Dad and hope he can make it, if not with us with another team.

Understand the concerns people raise regarding height though.

Testekill
31-03-2022, 09:35 PM
The talent is there at VFL level but he's a fairly selfish footballer.

angelopetraglia
01-04-2022, 01:31 AM
The talent is there at VFL level but he's a fairly selfish footballer.

Interesting observation. I have not seen enough from him. Can you elaborate?

Testekill
01-04-2022, 01:44 AM
Interesting observation. I have not seen enough from him. Can you elaborate?

He plays like someone that tries to do it all so that he personally can look good; not in the way where a captain tries to put the team on his back to drag them over the line, more where he's trying to make himself look as good as possible by attempting very low percentage shots at goal or trying to run through a much larger opponent. I put it down to believing his own hype.

angelopetraglia
01-04-2022, 01:55 AM
He plays like someone that tries to do it all so that he personally can look good; not in the way where a captain tries to put the team on his back to drag them over the line, more where he's trying to make himself look as good as possible by attempting very low percentage shots at goal or trying to run through a much larger opponent. I put it down to believing his own hype.

OK. Thanks. Hopefully 11 AFL games in three and bit seasons brings a little humility to his game.

soupman
01-04-2022, 02:00 AM

That's kind of been my observations with him too, except at AFL level.

I think he doesn't know how to play within his limitations, and what he can get away with at VFL level is not stuff he can get away with at AFL level.

angelopetraglia
01-04-2022, 02:07 AM
That's kind of been my observations with him too, except at AFL level.

I think he doesn't know how to play within his limitations, and what he can get away with at VFL level is not stuff he can get away with at AFL level.

Yes. I think his game against the Tigers last year at the MCG was a good representation of this.