PDA

View Full Version : Rating our list 2021: Zaine Cordy 12

Hotdog60
29-03-2022, 12:27 AM
Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.

I hope current performance doesn't reflect on last years assessment.

Hotdog60
29-03-2022, 12:28 AM
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Players/ChampIDImages/XLarge2022/991939.png?i10c=img.resize(scale_height:0.504)

Zaine Cordy joined the Club as a father-son selection in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft via pick number 62. A versatile and athletic tall defender, Cordy is ultra-competitive and has the versatility to play on a range of opponents. Despite his pedigree as a defender, Cordy earned his nine senior games as a forward in 2016 – including the Bulldogs’ stunning finals series and drought-breaking premiership. Since then, the 24-year-old has returned to the Bulldogs’ back-line, playing 104 games across seven seasons in total.
LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/1084/zaine-cordy)

comrade
29-03-2022, 08:53 AM
I’ve been waiting…

1eyedog
29-03-2022, 10:11 AM
Courageous and tries hard but the nothing things he does outweighs the good.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-03-2022, 10:18 AM
I think Cordy is a victim of our lack of key defensive options and experience. I think in a well balanced team, he would be perfectly adequate as a medium defender.
He has his clear limitations and I feel he is being expected to play a role he's just not physically able to reliably perform.

Mantis
29-03-2022, 10:49 AM
I think Cordy is a victim of our lack of key defensive options and experience. I think in a well balanced team, he would be perfectly adequate as a medium defender.
He has his clear limitations and I feel he is being expected to play a role he's just not physically able to reliably perform.

He doesn’t have the skill set or athletic traits to play any other role than as a KPP.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2022, 11:41 AM
I should probably avoid posting....

bornadog
29-03-2022, 11:53 AM
He doesn’t have the skill set or athletic traits to play any other role than as a KPP.

I think 3rd tall rather than KPP would be his best spot, but I have him as below average

soupman
29-03-2022, 11:59 AM
I think he's adequate as a depth player on our list, I guess not unlike Matt Spangher's role through Hawthorns dominant era.

I mean he has a lot of stuff that is infuriating, but for the most part he is a bankable 6/10.

Shouldn't be in our best 25 though.

Danjul
29-03-2022, 12:24 PM

Too true. A few years back numerous quality forwards were kicking personal best bags of goals on him and he kept getting the same job. His coping mechanism was, and still is, to stand off his man and try to run in and spoil. As a result he usually gets there in time to simply stand the mark.

I suspect that he would have contributed much more as the third defender (as many have suggested here).

Mantis
29-03-2022, 01:12 PM
I think 3rd tall rather than KPP would be his best spot, but I have him as below average

In my mind a 3rd tall is someone who is athletic, can use the ball well and can intercept mark... I don't see Zaine having these traits.

Happy Days
29-03-2022, 01:25 PM
It’s not Zaine’s fault that we don’t have any better options, but he isn’t quick enough to go with the mid-sizers, isn’t good enough in the air to play on talls of any quality, and is a horribly uncreative player that stifles many promising moves forward when he gets involved in switches. I also don’t think I’ve ever seen him take an overhead/pack mark.

We gotta get O’Brien in, who just to be clear I think also sucks, but can at least do some of the above competently.

Hotdog60
30-03-2022, 12:42 AM
I've have Zaine as average but at least can say he's a premiership player and who can forget the famous knee.
But he falls into the grey zone and doesn't offer anything special.

boydogs
31-03-2022, 01:45 AM
Zaine's a great competitor and can halve aerial contests, I don't mind him up forward defending intercept markers

Vred
31-03-2022, 10:38 AM
Who voted elite? Show yourself!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-03-2022, 10:42 AM

Not me. I've been off the grog completely since Xmas.

Grantysghost
31-03-2022, 11:02 AM
Not me. I've been off the grog completely since Xmas.

Haha - GF day for me xD

Never felt better.

Grantysghost
31-03-2022, 11:07 AM
I went average. I think he does exactly what he is supposed to do, and is one of the few guys on the list with a bit of fiestiness in him.

Although I think it's been "cultured down".

Great tackle, ok kick on both sides, decent in the air and gives his all each game he plays. Plus...that moustache *chef kissy fingers*

Negatives he is slow off the mark and can get caught ball watching at times.

If we had a reasonable KPD cohort he would slot in pretty nicely as a third tall like a Thomlinson/Petty for Demons.

comrade
31-03-2022, 12:31 PM
I went average. I think he does exactly what he is supposed to do, and is one of the few guys on the list with a bit of fiestiness in him.

Although I think it's been "cultured down".

Great tackle, ok kick on both sides, decent in the air and gives his all each game he plays. Plus...that moustache *chef kissy fingers*

Negatives he is slow off the mark and can get caught ball watching at times.

If we had a reasonable KPD cohort he would slot in pretty nicely as a third tall like a Thomlinson/Petty for Demons.

He would be a poor man’s Petty/Thomlinson. Isn’t as effective in the air or as dangerous by foot.

He is very fortunate he’s at a club that has been bereft of key defensive talent since he got there.

EasternWest
31-03-2022, 01:34 PM

Comrade.

Grantysghost
31-03-2022, 04:42 PM
He would be a poor man’s Petty/Thomlinson. Isn’t as effective in the air or as dangerous by foot.

He is very fortunate he’s at a club that has been bereft of key defensive talent since he got there.

Do you think either of them would be that flash in our setup?

The bulldog tragician
31-03-2022, 05:20 PM
Comrade.

Does Zaine post here?

Though I voted average I can both understand frustrations with him and also feel protective of him. Partly because I just hate anyone being mocked constantly. As for “his only real asset is to be competitive”… I’ve seen too many players in the red white and blue that don’t even give you that. There are a couple of silky players even in todays team that are not great in the contest. At least Z-man always gives it everything, though he’s having to play a spot unsuited to his size and, um, lack of speed.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2022, 05:40 PM
Does Zaine post here?

Though I voted average I can both understand frustrations with him and also feel protective of him. Partly because I just hate anyone being mocked constantly. As for “his only real asset is to be competitive”… I’ve seen too many players in the red white and blue that don’t even give you that. There are a couple of silky players even in todays team that are not great in the contest. At least Z-man always gives it everything, though he’s having to play a spot unsuited to his size and, um, lack of speed.

Hi Tragician
He's not a bad kick. I don't think he's as unskilled as people say. Dunno, I am a big fan.
Those sort are my favourites. Mitch Han, Dylan Addison, Bailey Williams, Matt Boyd, just the types that compete hard and usually get pillored at first, but end up being actually great servants of the club.

Tackling very good. Not to be underrated as a skill.

Happy Days
31-03-2022, 05:55 PM
Tomlinson is a dud but Petty’s really good. Was really frustrating having to listen to Dees fans complain when Tomlinson got injured last year knowing they were replacing him with a better player.

Would kill to have him in Zaine’s spot.