PDA

View Full Version : Rating our list 2021: Stefan Martin 08

Hotdog60
02-04-2022, 10:03 AM
Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.

I hope current performance doesn't reflect on last years assessment.

Hotdog60
02-04-2022, 10:05 AM
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Players/ChampIDImages/XLarge2022/280763.png?i10c=img.resize(scale_height:0.504)

Experienced ruckman Stefan Martin arrived at the Kennel after spending eight years as a Lion, and the five years before that as a Dee. Sitting on 199 AFL games since debuting in 2008, the 35-year-old has a wealth of knowledge, and will continue to play a mentor role to developing Bulldog rucks Tim English and Jordon Sweet. An injury-plagued 2021 season saw him register nine games in the red, white and blue.
LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/194/stefan-martin)

GVGjr
02-04-2022, 10:48 AM
If we can get him right he can still play a part for us for the balance of this year.

Grantysghost
02-04-2022, 11:02 AM
Waste of a list spot even though I like him as a person.

Might be good in a coaching sense who knows, Tim's development may be part due to Stef being around.

But I went below average as a player for us, and he's cooked.
Was cooked after a few rounds last year.

bornadog
02-04-2022, 04:21 PM
Might be good in a coaching sense who knows, Tim's development may be part due to Stef being around.

More than that he is coach and mentor to Tim and Sweet

Bullies
02-04-2022, 04:23 PM
Was well and truly cooked when he left Brisbane

soupman
02-04-2022, 04:48 PM
More than that he is coach and mentor to Tim and Sweet

Which is great, but he is cooked and doesn't need to take up a list spot to do that.

bornadog
02-04-2022, 06:06 PM
Which is great, but he is cooked and doesn't need to take up a list spot to do that.

We know that, but we don't have anyone else. I know I know, I don't need a lecture on recruitment and trading.

MrMahatma
02-04-2022, 06:08 PM

Maybe but also soft cap…

He’s been good enough and part of the prelim that flogged Port but also part of the mids who got flogged on GF day. Based on performances so far this year, doubt we’ll see much of him!

SquirrelGrip
02-04-2022, 07:42 PM
He is our Shane Mumford.

Hotdog60
02-04-2022, 08:41 PM
I've gone with average and is just about done and dusted and to honest from what I've seen in the VFL he offers no more than Sweet does.

Danjul
03-04-2022, 03:17 PM
I've gone with average and is just about done and dusted and to honest from what I've seen in the VFL he offers no more than Sweet does.
To be honest, I think Martin will soon be a lot better than Sweet, because Sweet is deteriorating Rapidly from lack of use. In the vfl game against Sydney Martin did all the ruck work in the times I was watching and Sweet stood around in the forward line. The ball rarely went near him.

Hotdog60
03-04-2022, 03:51 PM
To be honest, I think Martin will soon be a lot better than Sweet, because Sweet is deteriorating Rapidly from lack of use. In the vfl game against Sydney Martin did all the ruck work in the times I was watching and Sweet stood around in the forward line. The ball rarely went near him.

Against Sydney sure as Martin was the preferred option in the middle but Sweet did do better when Martin wasn't playing against the Bullants.
The trouble is if Sweet want's to get a AFL gig he needs to start learning his forward craft because unless English decides to move on Sweet will have to contend as a forward ruck and not the other way round.

Danjul
03-04-2022, 09:27 PM
Against Sydney sure as Martin was the preferred option in the middle but Sweet did do better when Martin wasn't playing against the Bullants.
The trouble is if Sweet want's to get a AFL gig he needs to start learning his forward craft because unless English decides to move on Sweet will have to contend as a forward ruck and not the other way round.
I agree. But he wouldn’t have to do much to be an improvement.

When Dunkley was a regular in ruck contests I pointed out that his disposals count dropped significantly (50% sometimes). All the experiment did was put him off his game (and the club?) - as it has done with others.

Hannan had no disposals after half time last week after only 4 in the first half. He’s only had 20 for the year. As well as squandering opportunities we are still removing contributions from forwards. Absolutely nothing positive has come from this multi year fiasco.

Sweet did well in the ruck last year. His only mistake was being selected the week we played the eventual premiers who had the competition’s best ruckman. We know he can be second ruck. I’m happy for him to have the rest of the season in the forward line because that’s definitely going to take pressure off Naughton (he hasn’t kicked more than one goal in consecutive weeks since Sweet last played). By the end of the year he will have learnt something about being a forward.