PDA

View Full Version : List Management thread (For 2022)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

Sedat
17-10-2022, 06:18 PM
Martin was a decent risk but I'm not so sure why we weren't more proactive at the end of last year to get a replacement ready like we should have.
I'm on a unity ticket with you there. We were terribly passive in the post-season 12 months ago and we essentially wasted a year in the window. Thankfully we've been far more proactive this post-season to balance the list (with still more to do)

The Doctor
17-10-2022, 06:25 PM
Odds on Lachie Sullivan getting the rookie list spot?

Grantysghost
17-10-2022, 06:25 PM

Absolute lach.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-10-2022, 06:26 PM
I really want Naughts to play further up the ground this year... really hit the wings and use his mobility and aerial game to help his win the ball across the middle of the ground. Play both Marra & Lobb I50 who I think will complement each other quite well.

You Royce Hart to Naughton's Templeton. Maybe he'll win a brownlow at CHF.

GVGjr
17-10-2022, 06:37 PM

The door has opened on that. It might be worth a shot.

bornadog
17-10-2022, 06:39 PM

No thanks

Grantysghost
17-10-2022, 06:42 PM
No thanks

He's pretty good, I think he deserves a shot.

You don't rate bad?

Stevo
17-10-2022, 06:54 PM

Is he worth a spot? I saw just a bit of him this season and performed but the question is does he have any improvement in him if he becomes a full time footballer?

Dry Rot
17-10-2022, 07:30 PM

You don't rate bad?

Would Garner or a ruckman be a better choice based on needs?

hujsh
17-10-2022, 07:40 PM

Unless we take a ruck with a late pick in the national draft we need another ruck developing. So only Garner if we already have a ruck

GVGjr
17-10-2022, 07:48 PM

A ruckman should be the priority but is there a lot of difference between Garner and O'Sullivan?

Dry Rot
17-10-2022, 08:04 PM
A ruckman should be the priority but is there a lot of difference between Garner and O'Sullivan?

I thought garner was a small defender?

Dancin' Douggy
17-10-2022, 08:51 PM
Does anyone think it's a possible scenario that if we didn't get Lobb through the trade period we might have convinced Martin into staying?

please don't make me even think about that.

Jasper
17-10-2022, 09:04 PM
No thanks

Is this how you pad up the stats

Pedro Sanchez
17-10-2022, 09:04 PM
Is Darcy Jones related to our Jones? Gut feel is yes...

Jasper
17-10-2022, 09:06 PM

I don't think so. I can't find it mentioned in the summaries.

GVGjr
17-10-2022, 09:08 PM

Welcome back Pedro. I don't believe they are related.

bornadog
17-10-2022, 11:21 PM

You don't rate bad?

I don't actually rate him and I think there are more pressing needs

Is this how you pad up the stats

I hope this is a joke post

bornadog
17-10-2022, 11:39 PM
Nice one from Lachie

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfQHLBhVQAAJewk?format=jpg&name=large

Pedro Sanchez
17-10-2022, 11:47 PM
Welcome back Pedro. I don't believe they are related.

Cheers. I choose my words very carefully ��

jeemak
18-10-2022, 01:11 AM
Is it really surprising that we'd be prepared to take a few more options to the draft given that we aren't hamstrung by needing points for securing top talent via priority access, and have actually been able to see talent exposed this year in the junior competitions?

A few on here have been on about it - particularly Aza (endlessly, Jesus he's annoying), but it seems like the logical thing to have happened given the circumstances.

I guess that's why I won't be kissing Sam Power's arse until he lands the talent.

jeemak
18-10-2022, 01:11 AM
Cheers. I choose my words very carefully ��

Welcome back Pedro.

jeemak
18-10-2022, 01:12 AM
Nice one from Lachie

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfQHLBhVQAAJewk?format=jpg&name=large

Super post from Lachie.

EasternWest
18-10-2022, 08:36 AM

Pedro! Now there's a blast from the past.

azabob
18-10-2022, 08:41 AM
Is it really surprising that we'd be prepared to take a few more options to the draft given that we aren't hamstrung by needing points for securing top talent via priority access, and have actually been able to see talent exposed this year in the junior competitions?

A few on here have been on about it - particularly Aza (endlessly, Jesus he's annoying), but it seems like the logical thing to have happened given the circumstances.

I guess that's why I won't be kissing Sam Power's arse until he lands the talent.

Of the players to come off the list who would've you kept?

Dogs 24/7
18-10-2022, 08:48 AM

If you look at who's coming out of contract at the end of next year and who has questionable form we might not done enough now.
We should have a lot of room in the TPP to perhaps pay one of those players out now. We have more than enough fringe players.

bornadog
18-10-2022, 12:46 PM
Super post from Lachie.

Kinda sad it had to come to this

jazzadogs
18-10-2022, 01:16 PM

Not really Sam's job to 'land the talent' at the draft though is it? My understanding would be that Sam is responsible for working with the coach to identify list gaps, addressing them where possible through trades. He then works with the recruiting scouts/team on the remaining gaps, and potential options to fill them - which may mean acquiring better/different picks.

But he's not responsible for picking the right players - he just gets the recruiters the opportunity, and tells them what types we need.

Axe Man
18-10-2022, 01:28 PM
Not really Sam's job to 'land the talent' at the draft though is it? My understanding would be that Sam is responsible for working with the coach to identify list gaps, addressing them where possible through trades. He then works with the recruiting scouts/team on the remaining gaps, and potential options to fill them - which may mean acquiring better/different picks.

But he's not responsible for picking the right players - he just gets the recruiters the opportunity, and tells them what types we need.

Yep, this is Dom Milesi's time to shine.

F'scary
18-10-2022, 01:59 PM
Kinda sad it had to come to this

Very much so. I would like to learn a bit more about the decision to value him at about pick 50 and trade him thus. To me, his finish to the season indicated likely solid best 22 next year.

Topdog
18-10-2022, 02:27 PM
Very classy finish by Hunter.
For whatever reason the last 2-3 years haven't worked out for him but a 10 year servant to the club and 1 of not many that played in a winning GF

Scorlibo
18-10-2022, 03:56 PM
Very much so. I would like to learn a bit more about the decision to value him at about pick 50 and trade him thus. To me, his finish to the season indicated likely solid best 22 next year.

Can only imagine that the off field problems that would have been surfaced to other clubs are severe, because two years ago he'd be worth the same as Dunkley in a trade. That or we've just made a meal of it, the off field stuff is fixable, and he goes on to play another 100 games for Melbourne at his 2016-20 elite level.

jeemak
18-10-2022, 08:39 PM
Of the players to come off the list who would've you kept?

I may have kept Wallis, but in doing so you actually have to play him and even though he's probably good enough for a role as a 22-28 player and would be called upon throughout the year, if you're playing him you're not developing someone else.

So overall I don't have an issue with who we let go.

jeemak
18-10-2022, 08:44 PM

Yep, this is Dom Milesi's time to shine.

I guess we better tell the Bulldogs because they seem to think it is his job.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/teams/afl/football-department/sam-power

bornadog
18-10-2022, 08:54 PM
I guess we better tell the Bulldogs because they seem to think it is his job.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/teams/afl/football-department/sam-power

Recruiting reports to him, but Dom is the one one the ground checking out the players

azabob
18-10-2022, 08:59 PM
I may have kept Wallis, but in doing so you actually have to play him and even though he's probably good enough for a role as a 22-28 player and would be called upon throughout the year, if you're playing him you're not developing someone else.

So overall I don't have an issue with who we let go.

I agree on Wallis. I think his injury history also weighed heavily against him.

I’m excited with the number of lists spots we have. It indicates to me we have identified a DFA and also some talent in the draft.

jeemak
18-10-2022, 09:44 PM
Recruiting reports to him, but Dom is the one one the ground checking out the players

I'm aware of that, but if Power gets recognition for bringing in players from other clubs who other people scout then he should get recognition for the success or failures of players we draft.

F'scary
18-10-2022, 09:45 PM
Can only imagine that the off field problems that would have been surfaced to other clubs are severe, because two years ago he'd be worth the same as Dunkley in a trade. That or we've just made a meal of it, the off field stuff is fixable, and he goes on to play another 100 games for Melbourne at his 2016-20 elite level.

absolutely. he was an instant gun success when he was switched from a marking mid sized forward role to the wing back in 2015. He was then one of the (albeit numerous - we had a clutch of top players) keys to 2016.

The role he played was brilliant: the wingman who gets 25-30 possessions a game, always in the play, always running hard both ways, with great judgement as to when you pile into the pack and when you hang outside to provide the bail out.

His last few games for us indicated to me that he was getting back into that exalted territory. I am going to be spewing if he turns it on for the Dees. Especially, if they get another flag.

MrMahatma
18-10-2022, 09:49 PM
I'm aware of that, but if Power gets recognition for bringing in players from other clubs who other people scout then he should get recognition for the success or failures of players we draft.

Nah man. Power only ever does good stuff and anything else is Bevo’s fault.

jeemak
18-10-2022, 09:56 PM
Nah man. Power only ever does good stuff and anything else is Bevo’s fault.

Hahahaha, I didn't want to say it - but I don't what it is with this guy that gives him such a non-stick surface!

azabob
18-10-2022, 10:05 PM
Hahahaha, I didn't want to say it - but I don't what it is with this guy that gives him such a non-stick surface!

Power replaced Jason McCartney so in relative terms he’s a ghost, he’s a god, he’s a man, he’s a guru…

jazzadogs
18-10-2022, 10:16 PM

Did McCartney get credit for the players Dalrymple drafted?

jeemak
18-10-2022, 11:35 PM

Was he in charge of recruiting like Sam Power is?

jazzadogs
18-10-2022, 11:50 PM

McCartney was List Manager and Dalrymple was Recruiting Manager.

Milesi is National Recruiting Manager. Power is head of the Recruiting and List Management Department and his role oversees "total list management strategy, including TPP management and compliance, player contracting, player acquisition and recruiting".

I see your point that Power has more power over recruiting, and I'm no expert on AFL recruiting departments. I'm also no Power worshipper but I still think the National Recruiting Manager should be the one with the loudest voice at the table regarding who is the best talent, because he will have seen the most of the players discussed. I think the call on who we draft would come down to Milesi, with guidance from Power re: list needs.

On trades/FA, I think the recruiting scouts would feed back to Power on relevant players and then ultimate call goes to him based on contracts/trade value etc.

jeemak
19-10-2022, 12:12 AM
Nets.

Topdog
19-10-2022, 07:12 AM

I just dont want to unnecessarily make Power one of those managers that takes credit for what his team does. Have enough of those people elsewhere in my life

GVGjr
19-10-2022, 07:54 AM

No not really and the credit mainly landed on Dal.
Milesi started with us during a difficult patch given we had the Covid challenges and two years of chasing points to land a pick one and a pick two. He and his recruiting team must be happy to have a couple of early picks to work with and I think the playing list needs to be balanced out with some younger players.

Mofra
19-10-2022, 09:02 AM
Power replaced Jason McCartney so in relative terms he’s a ghost, he’s a god, he’s a man, he’s a guru…
Nick Cave reference is noted and welcome

The Bulldogs Bite
19-10-2022, 11:32 AM
Nets.

Sounds like you're picking on my boy.

Nets.

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 10:25 AM
The first delisted free agency period is from November 3-9.

I think we will add at least one DFA player during this window.

Who do you think we might target?

Would Narkle give us that point of difference we might be looking for?

Happy Days
20-10-2022, 10:41 AM
I think we’ll get Rowe. Honestly it’s fine, Rowe is pretty limited athletically but he’s a creative player and I think he can add something.

My enthusiasm on him waned when it looked like we were getting the band back together again, again brother but now that we’ve done some significant spring cleaning I’m more inclined to take a swing.

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 11:00 AM
I think we’ll get Rowe. Honestly it’s fine, Rowe is pretty limited athletically but he’s a creative player and I think he can add something.

My enthusiasm on him waned when it looked like we were getting the band back together again, again brother but now that we’ve done some significant spring cleaning I’m more inclined to take a swing.

I was reading that there is some speculation we might go for two DFA players.
We do have some spots with question marks on who will player there.

Mofra
20-10-2022, 11:06 AM
The first delisted free agency period is from November 3-9.

I think we will add at least one DFA player during this window.

Who do you think we might target?

Would Narkle give us that point of difference we might be looking for?
Hopefully nobody - there are three DFA periods:

DFA (1): November 3rd @ 9am until November 9th @ 5pm
DFA (2): November 11th @ 9am until November 15th @ 5pm
DFA (3): November 29th @ 10pm until November 29th @ 11pm

And only DFA3 comes after the draft. I like the idea of prioritizing the draft this year and only signing a DFA after we've drafted, as a way of filling a list need.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-10-2022, 11:19 AM
I like Narkle but he has some issues in his game - can 'float' in games - probably more of a mid than a forward.

He has the most upside though and he's only 24, so he'd be my pick.

Axe Man
20-10-2022, 12:01 PM
Unless we have Narkle earmarked for a particular role (eg wing), I would take a DFA for a specific need like Rowe, rather than simply the most talented player. The early rounds of the draft are for best available, not DFA signings.

bornadog
20-10-2022, 12:41 PM
I like Narkle but he has some issues in his game - can 'float' in games - probably more of a mid than a forward.

I agree, much prefer Narkle to Rowe.

mjp
20-10-2022, 02:02 PM

Do you really think Narkle has more upside than Stack?

Q is a nice player but, Stacky, well...he is a game changer.

Bulldog4life
20-10-2022, 02:15 PM

Yes Rowe is worth a shot for me too. Seen him play some good games. Loves a goal does Jimmy.

bornadog
20-10-2022, 02:33 PM

Still only 22, but is a risk due to off field issues?

hujsh
20-10-2022, 02:39 PM
Still only 22, but is a risk due to off field issues?

Sometimes it's a risk worth taking. Get him on a one year contract. This is the reason we have guys like Varcoe at the club isn't it? To help players like Stack so they can help us on field?

bornadog
20-10-2022, 02:46 PM
Sometimes it's a risk worth taking. Get him on a one year contract. This is the reason we have guys like Varcoe at the club isn't it? To help players like Stack so they can help us on field?

I would love him at the club.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2022, 02:47 PM

That's a fair point with Varcoe. Plus Marra seems to be fully focussed, and Liam Jones has ridden all the highs and lows and made a solid career with a heap of experience and perspective. Arthur Jones has come through the same WA system, albeit from different parts of WA. That's the point of building an indigenous group of talented players isn't it? To bring even more in and create a culture for all players to succeed?

Move Bailey Dale to the wing, and throw him down there to the HBF with Williams, JJ, VDM, Crozier and others and let them fight it out for a HBF spot.

Axe Man
20-10-2022, 03:08 PM

Can someone jog my memory. Stack's first season was good but since the Covid hub and trouble he got into there he really hasn't looked like being the player he promised to be?

I'm sure Richmond have a pretty good indigenous program, they seem keep adding more talented players each year and have turned a player with past troubles in Pickett around. Seems a bit of a red flag if they have given up on Sydney?

Happy Days
20-10-2022, 03:10 PM
Can someone jog my memory. Stack's first season was good but since the Covid hub and trouble he got into there he really hasn't looked like being the player he promised to be?

I'm sure Richmond have a pretty good indigenous program, they seem keep adding more talented players each year and have turned a player with past troubles in Pickett around. Seems a bit of a red flag if they have given up on Sydney?

Stack has never been the same since he tried to bump Toby McLean the week after he killed Viney, only Toby didn’t fall over but instead ran off with the ball and dogged up.

Maybe there’s a thread for this sort of stuff actually.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-10-2022, 03:14 PM

What's he done in the last 2-3 years?

Genuine question as I haven't paid close attention, but it would appear he's well and truly faded. Perhaps it's partly due to some off-field issues, I don't know.

I could be convinced but I don't see him being an option for us. We literally just traded away a Premiership proven performer (Hunter) because of behavioural problems, I can't see us being prepared to take a risk on a player who hasn't done a quarter of what Lachie did.

EasternWest
20-10-2022, 04:53 PM

Why would you make me choose?

We should go after both.

Grantysghost
20-10-2022, 05:11 PM
Why would you make me choose?

We should go after both.

We need to Stengle Stack.

Dogs 24/7
20-10-2022, 05:38 PM
There is some talk that Bruce plays off the bench and he is going to be played as a defender.
Good move or not?

bulldogtragic
20-10-2022, 05:43 PM
There is some talk that Bruce plays off the bench and he is going to be played as a defender.
Good move or not?

This has been my hobby horse. I like moving him back. Jones gets the best forward. Bruce gets the lesser mobile tall. Keath back to intercepting as he did at Adelaide. Gardner to keep pressure on for spots.

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 05:46 PM
This has been my hobby horse. I like moving him back. Jones gets the best forward. Bruce gets the lesser mobile tall. Keath back to intercepting as he did at Adelaide. Gardner to keep pressure on for spots.

I think it makes a lot of sense to try Bruce as a defender particular if we are also playing Jones, Gardner and Keath.
Bruce can move forward and back.

We need a potential round one team discussion BT with some creative moves like Dale to a wing and Daniel to a HF :)

bulldogtragic
20-10-2022, 05:51 PM
I think it makes a lot of sense to try Bruce as a defender particular if we are also playing Jones, Gardner and Keath.

We need a potential round one team discussion BT with some creative moves like Dale to a wing and Daniel to a HF :)

Daniel to HF? So Richards is kicking out after behinds?

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 05:55 PM
Daniel to HF? So Richards is kicking out after behinds?

Richards, Duryea and Williams. Might need another option.

Axe Man
20-10-2022, 05:55 PM

Moving our best 2 kicks out of the backline sounds like the kind of thing that will significantly reduce my life expectancy.

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 05:56 PM
Moving our best 2 kicks out of the backline sounds like the kind of thing that will significantly reduce my life expectancy.

I get that, I can't see both of them happening but we might look at some changes.

soupman
20-10-2022, 06:45 PM
I think Bruce goes back because I can't see him being in our first choice plans forward but I am super sceptical on it.

Two out of three seasons with us he has been completely unable to read the drop of the ball and has relied on enthusiasm to make an impact. Down back I think this will get exposed, as will his clumsiness and lack of agility.

Bulldog4life
20-10-2022, 06:52 PM
Pre-season and a practice match or 2 will show if Bruce has got a position in the back 6 or else he might have to start off in the forward line at Footscray if no injuries.

Mofra
20-10-2022, 07:05 PM
Or... Bruce is depth?
Lobb, Naughton and Marra is pretty handy F50 marking power. Lobbs height means we shouldn't have May/Stewart/McGovern killing us with intercept marking.

Bruce has to earn his KPD spot, and right now we've backed in Jones and it's likely Gardner gets the other gig based on closing speed/lockdown. Keath isn't a lock either but does have the ball in flight reading advantage over Bruce and can actually intercept.
The dark horse is Darcy - does he make it impossible to leave out? He reads the ball well in flight in defence and what he did as a kid with no pre-season and losing half of the year is nothing short of remarkable.

Rocket Science
20-10-2022, 07:49 PM
It's difficult to forecast but so much hinges on what versions of Bruce & Keath we get next year.

If they resume in '2022' mode then they're probably on the outside looking in, subject to the patience of the match committee.

But if they can recapture something near their 2021 contributions it gives us so much structural flexibility.

Which begs the hypothetical, which'll never happen. Are we better served by Bruce coping at centre half back, or Naughton dominating back there?

Grantysghost
20-10-2022, 07:59 PM
It's difficult to forecast but so much hinges on what versions of Bruce & Keath we get next year.

If they resume in '2022' mode then they're probably on the outside looking in, subject to the patience of the match committee.

But if they can recapture something near their 2021 contributions it gives us so much structural flexibility.

Which begs the hypothetical, which'll never happen. Are we better served by Bruce coping at centre half back, or Naughton dominating back there?

Bruce, Jones, Gardner, Keath would be a pretty solid defence.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2022, 08:02 PM
Or... Bruce is depth?
Lobb, Naughton and Marra is pretty handy F50 marking power. Lobbs height means we shouldn't have May/Stewart/McGovern killing us with intercept marking.

Bruce has to earn his KPD spot, and right now we've backed in Jones and it's likely Gardner gets the other gig based on closing speed/lockdown. Keath isn't a lock either but does have the ball in flight reading advantage over Bruce and can actually intercept.
The dark horse is Darcy - does he make it impossible to leave out? He reads the ball well in flight in defence and what he did as a kid with no pre-season and losing half of the year is nothing short of remarkable.

If it happens that the bench goes to 5, and a tall is the strategy everyone/we go with. If Darcy can put form together to warrant that spot that’s a helleva wildcard. If he can play swing man, and if Bruce is playing so can he, then Bevo can throw some AFEL quality KPP magnets all over the board. Not to mention at times when English or Lobb are in the bench for a breather, theres a replacement 205cm+ target to plug the forward line hole. Or throw Bruce forward if the match up is better for Darcy down back.

Bevo should really have a lot of fun next year on match day if all these moves work.

jeemak
20-10-2022, 08:53 PM
If Bruce is fit and in form he plays forward and kicks goals. It's up to JUH to make a case for being in the team with Bruce, Lobb and Naughton if Bruce fires.

We will hopefully have Darcy developing in defence, with Jones and Keath as our two major tall pillars. I honestly can't see us messing with that simple structure supplemented by Doc, Dale, Daniel, Richards and Williams (possibly).

Where it becomes difficult is around how we tackle the middle of the ground. Weightman is clearly a forward, and I won't be surprised if he's the only specialist small / mid forward we go in with most weeks with everyone else outside of our core midfield group in the team to work forward and back between the arcs.

The one thing I do like about Bruce playing back is his work rate. He'll give his all even when fatigued, but when fatigued is when he looks his silliest.

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 08:58 PM

Great assessment. Both should be able to completed full pre-seasons and I remain both hopeful and confident that they can get to somewhere near 85% of their 2021 form.

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 09:00 PM
If Bruce is fit and in form he plays forward and kicks goals. It's up to JUH to make a case for being in the team with Bruce, Lobb and Naughton if Bruce fires.

We will hopefully have Darcy developing in defence, with Jones and Keath as our two major tall pillars. I honestly can't see us messing with that simple structure supplemented by Doc, Dale, Daniel, Richards and Williams (possibly).

Where it becomes difficult is around how we tackle the middle of the ground. Weightman is clearly a forward, and I won't be surprised if he's the only specialist small / mid forward we go in with most weeks with everyone else outside of our core midfield group in the team to work forward and back between the arcs.

The one thing I do like about Bruce playing back is his work rate. He'll give his all even when fatigued, but when fatigued is when he looks his silliest.

He will need to be managed but mobility hasn't really been a challenge for him. Even coming back from his knee injury it was his timing more than his mobility that saw him dropped.

Grantysghost
20-10-2022, 09:05 PM

I doubt Duryea and Bruce get a starting gig.
I'd go with the youth.

Bullies
20-10-2022, 09:16 PM
Daniel to HF? So Richards is kicking out after behinds? I like the idea of Caleb being our small forward. Reads the ball so well and usually so good with hitting a target. Has the smarts.

jazzadogs
20-10-2022, 09:17 PM
I'd go with the youth.

I'd go with the best team.

Not against Marra/Darcy ahead of Bruce, or any of the smalls ahead of Duryea - but if they are fit and in form, I'm happy that we just play the team most likely to win us a game. We're not in a full rebuild where youth comes ahead of results.

Grantysghost
20-10-2022, 09:18 PM
I'd go with the best team.

Not against Marra/Darcy ahead of Bruce, or any of the smalls ahead of Duryea - but if they are fit and in form, I'm happy that we just play the team most likely to win us a game. We're not in a full rebuild where youth comes ahead of results.

I agree, I'm forecasting it to be the same thing.

hujsh
20-10-2022, 10:47 PM
Amazing that Bruce is cooked forward but a superstar in the making in defence despite never playing a good season there before!

Jones and Gardiner will be our defenders. If Bruce trains back it's probably as cover and it's probably pretty bad news for all involved.

If Bruce plays forward he's just in better form than Marra (I hope...)

jeemak
20-10-2022, 10:59 PM
Amazing that Bruce is cooked forward but a superstar in the making in defence despite never playing a good season there before!

Jones and Gardiner will be our defenders. If Bruce trains back it's probably as cover and it's probably pretty bad news for all involved.

If Bruce plays forward he's just in better form than Marra (I hope...)

I neglected to put Gardner in my post, but he's definitely a starter in defence before Bruce will be. I guess a lot depends on Keath's fitness, but given the amount of time he spends in the GP room as a grumpy PE teacher he has every reason to come back ready to go.

With the addition of Jones I'm super bullish on our defencive stocks providing Keath can stay fit. I genuinely think we've got the mix right.

bornadog
20-10-2022, 11:09 PM
I'd go with the youth.

When fit Duryea is best 22, he controls the backline., Shame he couldn't play in that elimination final

Grantysghost
20-10-2022, 11:23 PM
When fit Duryea is best 22, he controls the backline., Shame he couldn't play in that elimination final
He was fit, we just didn’t pick him.

bornadog
20-10-2022, 11:24 PM

GG his wife was having a baby

hujsh
20-10-2022, 11:26 PM
Wow GG is not only a Lions supporter but actually Clarko as well. Can't even comprehend a player missing a final to be at a birth

jeemak
20-10-2022, 11:58 PM
Wow GG is not only a Lions supporter but actually Clarko as well. Can't even comprehend a player missing a final to be at a birth

I'm sure there's a pedo eating popcorn meme to insert here.

jeemak
20-10-2022, 11:59 PM

NUFC did Everton today coming off a draw at Old Trafford. Cheer up mate.

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 08:35 AM
GG his wife was having a baby

Prior to that. He played in the twos coming back from injury whilst Treloar was at half back.

I don't think he's a walk up these days. I may well be wrong but we shall see.

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 08:37 AM

The only reasonable excuse for missing a game is if your local Coles Express has run out of Cheese and Chive hot pockets prior to the match.

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 08:38 AM
NUFC did Everton today coming off a draw at Old Trafford. Cheer up mate.

Toon Toon. Wait till we get Maxi and Isak back.

I'm always happy ;)

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 09:04 AM
I'm sure there's a pedo eating popcorn meme to insert here.

I've missed something here.

azabob
21-10-2022, 10:13 AM

I'm glad we are now running with this...

azabob
21-10-2022, 10:13 AM
I'd go with the youth.

What youth do we have in the back half to push Duryea out?

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 10:15 AM
What youth do we have in the back half to push Duryea out?

Young Adz.

Axe Man
21-10-2022, 10:16 AM
Young Adz.

With Dunkley gone to your real team young Adz won't be going near the backline.

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 10:17 AM

Haha my real team gold.

God damn you lot!

And go lions.

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 10:19 AM

We moved him there due to lack of pace after Charlie Cameron ripped us a new one and Scott was tried.

Bevo made a clear point of saying it so I banked that and realised we weren't going to play slowish half backs if we can avoid it.

bornadog
21-10-2022, 10:21 AM
We moved him there due to lack of pace after Charlie Cameron ripped us a new one and Scott was tried.

Bevo made a clear point of saying it so I banked that and realised we weren't going to play slowish half backs if we can avoid it.

Enjoy Duryea here v your Lions :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXInusjMQwc

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 10:23 AM
Enjoy Duryea here v your Lions :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXInusjMQwc

Stop living in the past man.

That was brilliant.

No free kick though.

Axe Man
21-10-2022, 10:25 AM

It was also a part of having too many midfielders and having to play them somewhere. It didn't last that long anyway. Whilst he did a reasonable job I strongly doubt we will see Treloar down back next season.

Axe Man
21-10-2022, 10:26 AM

That was brilliant.

No free kick though.

I can only imagine your meltdown in Bear Blitz or whatever Brisbane's equivalent forum is.

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 10:27 AM
It was also a part of having too many midfielders and having to play them somewhere. It didn't last that long anyway. Whilst he did a reasonable job I strongly doubt we will see Treloar down back next season.

Yes in all seriousness I'd personally like to see him up on a wing.
If Bevo still wants pace at half back, there's this guy called JJ.

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 10:29 AM
I can only imagine your meltdown in Bear Blitz or whatever Brisbane's equivalent forum is.

I actually used to love the Roy Boys.
Quinlan, Conlan, Barwick... Good side.

Bear Blitz :) very good.

Bulldog4life
21-10-2022, 10:39 AM
I actually used to love the Roy Boys.
Quinlan, Conlan, Barwick... Good side.

Bear Blitz :) very good.

We know we know we know.

Happy Days
21-10-2022, 11:36 AM

That was brilliant.

No free kick though.

To Vandermeer right?

Mitcha
21-10-2022, 01:03 PM
Surprised by the lack of love for Duryea. He is the closest we have to a lockdown small/medium defender, looks very much to know and play his role well and quite simply is the captain of the back half with his direction and voice in regards to setting up the ground. For me a lock for best 22 when available. Having said that we need to project forward 12-24 months and identify a ready made replacement.

Bulldog4life
21-10-2022, 01:08 PM
Surprised by the lack of love for Duryea. He is the closest we have to a lockdown small/medium defender, looks very much to know and play his role well and quite simply is the captain of the back half with his direction and voice in regards to setting up the ground. For me a lock for best 22 when available. Having said that we need to project forward 12-24 months and identify a ready made replacement.

Funnily the used to say similar about Lachie Hunter being an extra coach on the ground for Bevo. Then......gone.

azabob
21-10-2022, 02:02 PM

Lack of love? That is a bit too of a general statement.

Only GG is saying that (out loud at least) and also identified we need to replace from the younger players - which we don't have yet.

Grantysghost
21-10-2022, 03:10 PM
Lack of love? That is a bit too of a general statement.

Only GG is saying that (out loud at least) and also identified we need to replace from the younger players - which we don't have yet.

I'm purposely taking the counter argument more strongly than I actually believe for arguments sake.
Duryea is a good player, I'm not sure he should be a walk up start I think he's slowed down a bit and has had his fair share of injuries.
I don't get what's going on with Williams but I'd prefer we put time into him there, he should be a capable lockdown player.

azabob
22-10-2022, 10:33 AM
I'm purposely taking the counter argument more strongly than I actually believe for arguments sake.
Duryea is a good player, I'm not sure he should be a walk up start I think he's slowed down a bit and has had his fair share of injuries.
I don't get what's going on with Williams but I'd prefer we put time into him there, he should be a capable lockdown player.

Solid reasoning. Both Duryea and Keath are having issues with their bodies, will be interesting if they both can bounce back and play 18+ games.

GVGjr
22-10-2022, 06:35 PM
Could this youngster be a chance as a rookie?
Zane Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wReHO-tRvg

Delisted Cat Zane Williams has called for a change to the rules for mid-season draftees, saying he didn’t get a chance to prove himself at Geelong.

Williams was taken by the Cats with pick 12 in the mid-season rookie draft in June, but less than four months later he was no longer on an AFL list.

Mid-season draft prospects can nominate either a six-month or 18-month contract before entering the draft, but the longer contracts do come as risks to clubs and therefore a detriment to players’ chances of being selected.

Earlier this week, former Geelong forward Daniel Menzel floated the idea of an 18-month guaranteed contract for all mid-season draftees, a suggestion Williams has reasons for concurring with.

“I fully agree with (that article),” the 21-year-old told Sportsday SA.

“I’ve been in the system now… three months isn’t long enough to prove yourself, I think I had eight games to prove myself.

“I’m still a kid developing, I’m not where near a fully finished product, you’d like a preseason just to prove yourself and get used to a new system.

“I had to learn 60 different names and a different game style and move away from home, that all adds up and I think I understand that it must have been a tricky spot with list spots… you understand that but when you’re a young kid – and I still classify myself as a young kid – you’ve got to be given time to develop your body and all that.

“Unfortunately I wasn’t given that, I don’t think it’s the end of the road, but it’s obviously a bit tough.

“You’ve got to cope with it, you get setbacks but you’re always better for them.”

Williams' last three games in the VFL – in Rounds 20, 21 and 22 – saw him string together his best footy together to average a tick under 25 touches and more than seven marks a game.

But he suggested his time at the 2022 premiers didn’t allow him to fix the flaws in his game.

“They (coaches) just said go out and play because obviously they wanted to see what I had and what I could bring,” Williams added.

“I got told I was doing a lot of things right and I guess I didn’t really get told until the exit meeting what I was doing wrong.

“My main thing was to put on a little bit of strength… it was a bit of a surprise, but it is what it is.”

Williams was delisted alongside Quinton Narkle, Francis Evans, Nick Stevens and Paul Tsapatolis.

SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens has since announced the signing of Williams for the 2023 season.

bornadog
23-10-2022, 10:49 PM
The Power of Jeemak, he started the Trade Dunkley thread and closed it off before we hit 4000

EasternWest
23-10-2022, 10:59 PM
The Power of Jeemak, he started the Trade Dunkley thread and closed it off before we hit 4000

That's too much power for one man to have. He must be stopped

hujsh
24-10-2022, 12:27 AM
That's too much power for one man to have. He must be stopped

Can we close Jeemak?

EasternWest
24-10-2022, 12:45 AM
Can we close Jeemak?

Hashtag jeemak is over.

jeemak
24-10-2022, 02:43 AM
There was a certain level of mania settling into us that was unsustainable as we willed our way towards 4000 posts.

I thank Gary for his benevolence, in shutting it down. When you see people like Josie clearly suffering and sprouting gibberish like it's her third day in the sun at Rainbow Serpent Festival then you have to take action.

Thank you to all who came along for the ride. You all helped us achieve our goal in trading Dunkley. Good times are ahead, just you wait and see.

Grantysghost
18-01-2023, 11:31 AM
Wrong thread (Tyler Brown)