PDA

View Full Version : List Management thread (For 2022)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

GVGjr
04-10-2022, 06:27 PM
If Cordy joins Saints, what compensation is reasonable?

I don't think he will trigger anything for us.

bornadog
04-10-2022, 06:28 PM
I don't think he will trigger anything for us.

Why?

EasternWest
04-10-2022, 06:34 PM

How much should we pay them?

I kid I kid.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 06:35 PM
I wonder. Jones 3 year contract, older, on a pretty low wage and they got given a 3rd rounder. Cordy would have to be on a 2 year contract at least on pretty similar coin. Maybe we get the pick after?

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 06:45 PM
I wonder. Jones 3 year contract, older, on a pretty low wage and they got given a 3rd rounder. Cordy would have to be on a 2 year contract at least on pretty similar coin. Maybe we get the pick after?

They would cancel each other out. No compo.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 07:01 PM
They would cancel each other out. No compo.

booo

Swoop
04-10-2022, 07:02 PM
The fact that we signed Jones and didn't hold off indicates that we were confident that Cordy will either stay, or his free agency offer wouldn't trigger compensation.

On Cordy, in terms of his own career, St Kilda would appear a better destination based on opportunity. It's hard to see him playing ahead of Jones, Keath, Gardner, Darcy, Khamis and O'Brien.

GVGjr
04-10-2022, 07:05 PM
The fact that we signed Jones and didn't hold off indicates that we were confident that Cordy will either stay, or his free agency offer wouldn't trigger compensation.

On Cordy, in terms of his own career, St Kilda would appear a better destination based on opportunity. It's hard to see him playing ahead of Jones, Keath, Gardner, Darcy, Khamis and O'Brien.

We have more depth so the opportunities for Cordy might be better at the Saints.

Topdog
04-10-2022, 08:26 PM
I believe when you brought this up last time there were asterix's against a few of those numbers with rookies being elevated etc. I'd be interested in how many players we've drafted that weren't rookies being elevated

Yeah I remember that. For example this is 2020.

Ben Cavarra (del)*
Tory Dickson (ret)
Billy Gowers (del)
Fergus Greene (del)
Will Hayes (del)*
Sam Lloyd (ret)
Brad Lynch (del)
Callum Porter (del)
Roarke Smith (del)*
Matt Suckling (del)
Jackson Trengove (del)
Lachie Young (trd)

So 3 of the 12 went to rookie list and I'm happy that we cut 8 of the other 9.

2021 we really needed to cut deeper.

Ben Cavarra (del)
Will Hayes (del)
Lin Jong (ret)
Patrick Lipinski (trd)
Easton Wood (ret)
Lewis Young (trd)

AFL make it surprisingly easy to check via the easily editable link

https://www.afl.com.au/news/retirements-and-delistings/2021

EasternWest
04-10-2022, 08:34 PM
Yeah I remember that. For example this is 2020.

Ben Cavarra (del)*
Tory Dickson (ret)
Billy Gowers (del)
Fergus Greene (del)
Will Hayes (del)*
Sam Lloyd (ret)
Brad Lynch (del)
Callum Porter (del)
Roarke Smith (del)*
Matt Suckling (del)
Jackson Trengove (del)
Lachie Young (trd)

So 3 of the 12 went to rookie list and I'm happy that we cut 8 of the other 9.

Ben Cavarra (del)
Will Hayes (del)
Lin Jong (ret)
Patrick Lipinski (trd)
Easton Wood (ret)
Lewis Young (trd)

We should probably make a contract thread or something so we can have easy access to this kind of stuff.

Go_Dogs
04-10-2022, 08:54 PM
Not a lot of movement so far, but great to see Jones locked away.

Can’t believe Grundy is looking like a pick 27 with Pies paying salary and we aren’t up to our eyeballs in it, but I guess we couldn’t get the sell to Grundy and manager.

azabob
04-10-2022, 08:57 PM
Not a lot of movement so far, but great to see Jones locked away.

Can’t believe Grundy is looking like a pick 27 with Pies paying salary and we aren’t up to our eyeballs in it, but I guess we couldn’t get the sell to Grundy and manager.

GD and Grundy open to taking a pay cut.

F'scary
04-10-2022, 09:01 PM
Which player F’scary?

sorry about delay. Long, Tall Darcy

jazzadogs
04-10-2022, 09:04 PM

Ben Cavarra (del)
Will Hayes (del)
Lin Jong (ret)
Patrick Lipinski (trd)
Easton Wood (ret)
Lewis Young (trd)

Counter to that is who else was on the chopping block:

- Wallis - only 6 games and not really in plans - but was our vice captain, sets standards, good person - I don't think many had an issue with a 1 year contract and backed him to get back in the best 22

- Crozier - 1 year in to a 3 year deal

- Stef - should have been gone and replaced

- Schache - played in the GF, had a contract, plenty of upside

- Cordy - played 19 games

- Butler - I think he's shown us what he will be. Should have been cut.

- Khamis - showed with his games in 2022 that he was worth keeping

- West/Garcia/McNeill - clump them together but they all contributed last year and again this year. I don't think a late pick or other rookie would have been less speculative thank keeping them.

Conclusion I see two other potential changes in Butler and Martin, with a question mark on Wallis. I don't think we managed the list particularly well, but I think 6 changes off a grand final is fine and if we were getting rid of the others it needed to be for trades - not speculative late picks.

Our biggest limitation in the last few years has been Darcy and JUH swallowing all our draft capital, as again if you could drop Butler and replace with a second rounder that is a different story to dropping Butler and replacing with pick 80.

F'scary
04-10-2022, 09:08 PM

for the Saints?

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2022, 09:10 PM
We should probably make a contract thread or something so we can have easy access to this kind of stuff.

The only ongoing joke better than this one, is Essendon.

kruder
04-10-2022, 09:11 PM
Kind of disappointed that we weren't into Acres, I reckon he will be a good signing for the Blues.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2022, 09:19 PM
Kind of disappointed that we weren't into Acres, I reckon he will be a good signing for the Blues.

Agreed.

Given our wing issues and Hunter a likely departure, this would have been a good move.

Hate to say it, but Carltons list looks great. They're going to be more than a handful for a while.

kruder
04-10-2022, 09:26 PM
A Bigfooty poster that has been on fire has said Zaine has told his teammates that he is going, I think it's best for both parties.

Good luck Zaine!

EasternWest
04-10-2022, 09:35 PM
A Bigfooty poster that has been on fire has said Zaine has told his teammates that he is going, I think it's best for both parties.

Good luck Zaine!

Yeah no ill will for me. Tried his guts out for us. BullGod.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2022, 09:45 PM
Twomey tweets that Zaine will head to St. Kilda on a 3-year deal.

https://twitter.com/CalTwomey/status/1577231492492984322?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1577231492492984322%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

That's not a move I'd be making, but kudos to Zaine on getting that.

Safe to say I've been hard on him, but won't forget his heroics in 2016.

If you need a lift to the Saints, happy to shout you mud guts ;)

hujsh
04-10-2022, 09:45 PM
Cordy offered 3 years. Gets him to 29 at least which is a good career for a guy that tries hard but is obviously limited. Great result for him can't fault him

EasternWest
04-10-2022, 09:48 PM
Also we'll also always have the knee of God.

macca
04-10-2022, 09:56 PM
Zaine has played 107 games , does thst qualify for father and son ? Hopefully the genes do not skip his kids generation

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 09:57 PM

Plus that huge tackle to kick the first in the GF.

Had a few clutch moments, and took them.

If he’s getting $300,000 it’s weird compo by the afel to give it to Carlton, ruling out compo for us. Or that we didn’t try to trade somehow, or maybe we couldn’t? Strange.

F'scary
04-10-2022, 10:02 PM
Cordy gone...say it ain't so :(

F'scary
04-10-2022, 10:08 PM
Twomey tweets that Zaine will head to St. Kilda on a 3-year deal.

https://twitter.com/CalTwomey/status/1577231492492984322?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1577231492492984322%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

The bit I like the best in that tweet thread is the the guy who asks Twomey, "What are the Bombers doing Cal? Anything up the sleeve?"

...maybe a tourniquet?

Grantysghost
04-10-2022, 10:12 PM
Cordy offered 3 years. Gets him to 29 at least which is a good career for a guy that tries hard but is obviously limited. Great result for him can't fault him

We lack KPDs and we let one walk.

I guess Jones takes his place but would've been nice to have some depth.

Good luck to Zaine kicked our first goal in a GF for 55 years.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 10:28 PM
We lack KPDs and we let one walk.

I guess Jones takes his place but would've been nice to have some depth.

Good luck to Zaine kicked our first goal in a GF for 55 years.

What would you have done to keep him? Offer him 3 years? I wouldn't tbh. I'd do one as depth so the club already upped my max offer

Grantysghost
04-10-2022, 10:31 PM
What would you have done to keep him? Offer him 3 years? I wouldn't tbh. I'd do one as depth so the club already upped my max offer

Depends on how it was structured I guess, the two year deal spread over three I could live with.

Its a good question. Two is about right for him.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 10:40 PM
Depends on how it was structured I guess, the two year deal spread over three I could live with.

Its a good question. Two is about right for him.

I hope we draft a key defender to take his spot. We have depth in numbers but not quality so if we can't recruit anyone younger than Jones the list space we would have given Cordy must be used to find a defender.

Depth is great but between Gardner, Jones, Keath Schache (maybe), TOB and possibly Darcy I think we have cattle to cover for Cordy and need to focus on finding that missing quality key back.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 10:44 PM
I hope we draft a key defender to take his spot. We have depth in numbers but not quality so if we can't recruit anyone younger than Jones the list space we would have given Cordy must be used to find a defender.

Depth is great but between Gardner, Jones, Keath Schache (maybe), TOB and possibly Darcy I think we have cattle to cover for Cordy and need to focus on finding that missing quality key back.

Is Schache now a cheap insurance policy?

Assuming our four minimum changes (3 draft picks + Jones) are Dunkley, Hunter, Cordy & Martin. He doesn’t need to be cut unless we get someone else. Even so, surely Butler or Wallis goes before Josh??

angelopetraglia
04-10-2022, 10:48 PM
Let's be totally honest. If Cordy was in our best 22 in 2023 we are struggling with injuries. He is depth. His ability to intercept mark or even contain dangerous forwards last year was not good (and that is being kind). If he can get a better deal then good luck to him. That is really what the free agency model is about.

Will always be a Premiership hero. First goal in the GF. Great snap on goal in the Prelim. Unlikely forward finals hero. Not too mention knocking Ward senseless in the prelim albeit accidently.

Thank you for your service Zane. Immortal. Wish you all the best at the Saints. Look forward to Naughton kicking 10 on you :)

angelopetraglia
04-10-2022, 10:50 PM

Assuming our four minimum changes (3 draft picks + Jones) are Dunkley, Hunter, Cordy & Martin. He doesn’t need to be cut unless we get someone else. Even so, surely Butler or Wallis goes before Josh??

I would be signing Shaq as insurance. He form in the VFL was great towards the tail end of the season too. We need back up cover for sure.

G-Mo77
04-10-2022, 10:50 PM
I don't think it hurts us as a team but I feel a little bit bummed about this for some reason. Premiership player, F/S, burns a little losing him. All the best to him.

angelopetraglia
04-10-2022, 10:54 PM
I don't think it hurts us as a team but I feel a little bit bummed about this for some reason. Premiership player, F/S, burns a little losing him. All the best to him.

Agree. But this is what the players wanted. This is what the media have been pushing for. Player movement. Free agency. Under the old model, he would need to take his chances in the draft and would most likely have taken our two year offer. The game really thrives on less player movement, as we love to see our players remain one club players. However the players have pushed for more free movement (which I understand) and the media love the sensationalism of it. However, it does weaken the fabric of the connection of fan, club and player. It makes us all less loyal to the game. I don't like it at all.

MrMahatma
04-10-2022, 10:56 PM

Yes but if Bevo is never gonna play him, I hope for his sake he goes somewhere that will play him.

Mofra
04-10-2022, 11:00 PM
Yes but if Bevo is never gonna play him, I hope for his sake he goes somewhere that will play him.
We wouldn't have offered 3 years either.
Good luck to him, no hard feelings, enjoy your 3 year deal Zaine.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 11:01 PM
Agree. But this is what the players wanted. This is what the media have been pushing for. Player movement. Free agency. Under the old model, he would need to take his chances in the draft and would most likely have taken our two year offer. The game really thrives on less player movement, as we love to see our players remain one club players. However the players have pushed for more free movement (which I understand) and the media love the sensationalism of it. However, it does weaken the fabric of the connection of fan, club and player. It makes us all less loyal to the game. I don't like it at all.

I saw an idea for a loyalty bonus which I really like the idea of. Would love to see a financial incentive for player to stick with the club that drafted them (flat fee or percent boost outside the cap maybe). Players are free to go where they want but if they stick with their original clubs there's an extra bonus in it for them

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 11:14 PM

Left field idea. We need a winger with Hunter, our best aerobic athlete going.

Our second best aerobic athlete is Schache. Play him off a wing running his guts out both ways. Good enough mark with a KPD on his tail, very tidy disposal.

Or as the next fifth on the bench punch hitting as a tall, plugging holes.

Maybe Lade has some new ideas for Bevo to consider with talls. Playing Wally & Butler in the VFL isn’t a better option. At least Josh has a genuine point of difference to them.

angelopetraglia
04-10-2022, 11:15 PM
I saw an idea for a loyalty bonus which I really like the idea of. Would love to see a financial incentive for player to stick with the club that drafted them (flat fee or percent boost outside the cap maybe). Players are free to go where they want but if they stick with their original clubs there's an extra bonus in it for them

Agree with the concept. I'm still appreciative that I grew up in an era where our champions (Grant, West, Smith, Johnson, Murhpy etc.) played all their football at our club. How devastating for young supporters in a previous era to see the likes of Quinlan, Dempsey, Round, Templeton leave.

EasternWest
04-10-2022, 11:20 PM

Our second best aerobic athlete is Schache. Play him off a wing running his guts out both ways. Good enough mark with a KPD on his tail, very tidy disposal.

Maybe Lade has some new ideas for Bevo to consider with talls. Playing Wally & Butler in the VFL isn’t a better option. At least Josh has a genuine point of difference to them.

If Schache wasn't finished at our club I'd say this was worth a shot.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 11:25 PM

I'm having pre-emptive nightmares of the likes of Langdon or Smith sprinting away from Schache as he slowly lumbers behind them. They could probably run an entire full circle around him before doing so.

MrMahatma
04-10-2022, 11:30 PM
If Schache wasn't finished at our club I'd say this was worth a shot.

Didn’t he play there Rd 1?

Rocket Science
04-10-2022, 11:33 PM
I for one will miss Zaine's dad bod.

Sedat
04-10-2022, 11:36 PM

There was a thread started a couple of years ago about left-field positional selections and my nomination was English on the wing. Schache has similar attributes - massive tank, not overly physical or quick, good user of the ball.

jeemak
04-10-2022, 11:37 PM
Zaine can play 95% of the game or more in a team defence, and always goes hard at it. Yes, he is limited but hasn't been helped by our shoddy team defence over the years either.

Would have been happy to have him on the list for two years, but three is too much for my taste. Good luck Zaine, you'll always be a Bullgod.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 11:37 PM
I'm having pre-emptive nightmares of the likes of Langdon or Smith sprinting away from Schache as he slowly lumbers behind them. They could probably run an entire full circle around him before doing so.

I don’t think it’s that bad. Josh can run all day, and could be a little something different. Taller guys who can run all day seem in vogue. With limited genuine wingers, I don’t see the harm in trying it. Or anything else. Wally is done, and Butler is behind too many. There’s a player here, we’ve got to work out the best position for him to use his athleticism and tidy disposal.

jeemak
04-10-2022, 11:39 PM
There was a thread started a couple of years ago about left-field positional selections and my nomination was English on the wing. Schache has similar attributes - massive tank, not overly physical or quick, good user of the ball.

I don't think you can have players who aren't physically capable playing on a wing. As the game compresses wings are required to put pressure and stop the burst players breaking from a contest, and I don't see that as something Schache would be capable of doing.

Most of the tackles Lipinski missed for us were when running through the wing and half forward, after all.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 11:41 PM
I don't think you can have players who aren't physically capable playing on a wing. As the game compresses wings are required to put pressure and stop the burst players breaking from a contest, and I don't see that as something Schache would be capable of doing.

Most of the tackles Lipinski missed for us were when running through the wing and half forward, after all.

‘Cause Lippa had little arms. Schache’s arms are longer, ‘cause he’s taller.

Check. Mate.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 11:41 PM
I don’t think it’s that bad. Josh can run all day, and could be a little something different. Taller guys who can run all day seem in vogue. With limited genuine wingers, I don’t see the harm in trying it. Or anything else. Wally is done, and Butler is behind too many. There’s a player here, we’ve got to work out the best position for him to use his athleticism and tidy disposal.

I know it worked great with Richo and Riewoldt but I never really watched them in those roles so I'm having trouble picturing it. Maybe it works. Maybe not having to be a key position player suits his more laconic features better. If anyone would try it it's Bevo (though he maybe already did for a bit round 1).

As ever I hope the lad makes it but TBH I'm all out of rooting juice for that one.

mjp
04-10-2022, 11:59 PM
Schache is not an outside mid.

He makes it as a key forward or he doesn't make it.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 12:02 AM

While I agree with that could he not be set for a key defender role?

kruder
05-10-2022, 01:02 AM
For many reasons I'm guessing but its unbelievable how so many of the 2016 crew in which Cordy was one, just couldn't get back to their best footy post 2016.

The saints list is on road to no where but happy for Cordy to get three years.

comrade
05-10-2022, 01:25 AM
3 years for Zaine :o

Great for him, great for me!

chef
05-10-2022, 06:50 AM

Every time another BullGod leaves the closer it gets to an end of an era hey.

Scraggers
05-10-2022, 07:36 AM

Mike, do you think he can play the swing role? defence/attack? Maybe both as a tagging role? Do we need him for depth?

Bullies
05-10-2022, 08:44 AM
While I agree with that could he not be set for a key defender role? I can see Schache playing down back with another club and being successful. Just hope its not another one that got away. Has a lot of football smarts.

Dogs 24/7
05-10-2022, 08:50 AM
Unless the reports are inaccurate Zaine has a contract in front of him, it's he that has chosen not to sign as yet. Seems to be weighing up another offer (possibly St Kilda).

We offered a 2 year deal and the Saints offered a 3 year deal. He also knows that bringing in Jones also takes a spot in the playing list he was after. No choice really. Apparently he texted all his team mates about his decision.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 08:59 AM
Tell you the truth Hujsh, I can't be bothered.

People keep saying we don't cut deep enough, but how deep is deep?

Of the 40 odd on your list, you can't have them all being stars and getting 30 disposals per week. Some have a role to play, some are pure backup and soldiers.

However, as I said, we need young rucks and KPP developing on the list, and that is the area I would critic.

The criticism is focused more on why we maintain players with marginal talent longer than we need to.
Schache showed some terrific form last year at Footscray and if we can't get a Lobb deal done Schache might be worth keeping on a 1 year deal.

Mofra
05-10-2022, 09:27 AM
Ignoring 2016, we got 118 senior AFL games from a 4th round KPP (Cordy). For all his detractors, Zaine absolutely outperformed for his draft position.

Bullies
05-10-2022, 09:38 AM
Ignoring 2016, we got 118 senior AFL games from a 4th round KPP (Cordy). For all his detractors, Zaine absolutely outperformed for his draft position. Zaine most of the time was also asked to play on guys who he gave away a lot of size to. He also had a bit of mongrel in him and would be first in to fly the flag. Not sure we have many others who can do that. He copped a lot from supporters but there are others i would have in the gun before him and we keep saying we need defenders.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 09:39 AM
Ignoring 2016, we got 118 senior AFL games from a 4th round KPP (Cordy). For all his detractors, Zaine absolutely outperformed for his draft position.

He's done very well given some limitations no doubt. You can't blame him for taking a 3 year deal from the Saints.

Bullies
05-10-2022, 09:41 AM
The criticism is focused more on why we maintain players with marginal talent longer than we need to.
Schache showed some terrific form last year at Footscray and if we can't get a Lobb deal done Schache might be worth keeping on a 1 year deal. One thing we don't have down back is an intercept defender. We had Wood in 2016 and until he retired. Richmond had Rance/Geelong have Stewart. Every top side has good intercept defenders and it is one of the reasons we were cut up down back last year. They should have perservered with Schache as he is a confidence player. He also reads the game so well.

whythelongface
05-10-2022, 09:58 AM

100%. He will also be remembered for kicking our first goal in a GF in 50 + years. Good luck to Zaine. Will always be part of Bulldog folklore and wish him every success on this next chapter.

MrMahatma
05-10-2022, 10:24 AM
He's done very well given some limitations no doubt. You can't blame him for taking a 3 year deal from the Saints.

Right call for him and for us.

bornadog
05-10-2022, 10:34 AM
Schache showed some terrific form last year at Footscray and if we can't get a Lobb deal done Schache might be worth keeping on a 1 year deal.

I would put Schache in the marginal talent basket

Topdog
05-10-2022, 10:50 AM

Josh is very talented, his problem is elsewhere. He also can play a position that we lack depth in so may get an extra year or 2.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 10:51 AM

Each to their own but his talent level and particularly his kicking skill are regarded as right up there, it's his competitiveness that raises the question on if he is going to make it as an AFL footballer.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 10:52 AM
Josh is very talented, his problem is elsewhere. He also can play a position that we lack depth in so may get an extra year or 2.

I'd be offering him a one year deal.

bornadog
05-10-2022, 10:55 AM
Each to their own but his talent level and particularly his kicking skill are regarded as right up there, it's his competitiveness that raises the question on if he is going to make it as an AFL footballer.

Talent must include competitiveness.

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 11:02 AM
Talent must include competitiveness.

Wut?

Happy Days
05-10-2022, 11:04 AM
Three years is insanity, well done Zaine.

I’m relieved that we can now finally break the cycle of Cordy is Bad -> Cordy plays VFL -> Cordy comes back in and isn’t as bad as we remember -> realising after a run of 3 or 4 games that Cordy is Bad.

hujsh
05-10-2022, 11:05 AM
in this context I think competitiveness is a talent/is part of being a talented player. Same as professionalism, work rate, endurance etc. Might not be flashy but they are talents

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 11:09 AM
in this context I think competitiveness is a talent/is part of being a talented player. Same as professionalism, work rate, endurance etc. Might not be flashy but they are talents

Wut?

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 11:10 AM
To me talent is a skills based attribute, competitiveness is focus or attitude based attribute but whatever way you look at it I don't think Schache should be regarded as a marginal talent.

bornadog
05-10-2022, 11:17 AM
Cordy departs Bulldogs

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeQtWTrUoAIbwIu?format=jpg&name=large

Key defender Zaine Cordy will depart the Western Bulldogs to join St Kilda as an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Cordy played 118 games in the red, white blue after being drafted as a father-son selection (pick 62) in the 2014 National Draft, and will leave the Club as a 2016 premiership player.

Bulldogs General Manager of List & Recruiting, Sam Power, thanked Cordy for his contribution to the Bulldogs.

“Zaine has been a consistent performer for our Club over eight years and leaves with the special memories of being a premiership player,” Power said.

“He played many different roles throughout his time at VU Whitten Oval, bringing a level of versatility and team-first attitude to every game.

“We wish him all the best for the remainder of his career.”

The Bulldogs will not receive Draft pick compensation after signing fellow Free Agent Liam Jones yesterday.

Grantysghost
05-10-2022, 11:18 AM
Cordy departs Bulldogs

Key defender Zaine Cordy will depart the Western Bulldogs to join St Kilda as an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Cordy played 118 games in the red, white blue after being drafted as a father-son selection (pick 62) in the 2014 National Draft, and will leave the Club as a 2016 premiership player.

Bulldogs General Manager of List & Recruiting, Sam Power, thanked Cordy for his contribution to the Bulldogs.

“Zaine has been a consistent performer for our Club over eight years and leaves with the special memories of being a premiership player,” Power said.

“He played many different roles throughout his time at VU Whitten Oval, bringing a level of versatility and team-first attitude to every game.

“We wish him all the best for the remainder of his career.”

The Bulldogs will not receive Draft pick compensation after signing fellow Free Agent Liam Jones yesterday.

That's like a bad report card when you're a kid.

"Zaine has been a consistent performer for our Club"

Danjul
05-10-2022, 11:21 AM
To me talent is a skills based attribute, competitiveness is focus or attitude based attribute but whatever way you look at it I don't think Schache should be regarded as a marginal talent.
Look back at the Adelaide game this year. With few exceptions the whole team capitulated to a group that was struggling for any success. One of the few who supplied any hope for supporters was Schache. All the stars failed. He Played well on the backline for half a game and then moved forward because none of the names were delivering. Got 2 goals to be equal best forward.

That loss kept the team under unnecessary pressure until the final game of the season. A disgrace. Gave every other team confidence against us.

Then the only one dropped was……

I hope Schache is doing everything possible to get a new home elsewhere.

bornadog
05-10-2022, 11:24 AM

When is the last decent game he played at AFL level ?

Dancin' Douggy
05-10-2022, 11:25 AM
I'm actually surprised Cordy's only played 118 games. Seems to have been a fixture for some time.
I'm not a Cordy hater, and I think there should be a giant statue of his knee next to the EJ statue at WO. (the knee that knocked out Callan Ward). But I am surprised the Saints targeted him..... not sure how he improves their list by that much. Very much a meh move. Reminds me of us actually.
And we see yet another tall(ish) defender walk out the door, and another premiership player.

bornadog
05-10-2022, 11:28 AM
And we see yet another tall(ish) defender walk out the door, and another premiership player.

Western Bulldogs 2016 Premiership team

Changed Clubs
J. Hamling 16
J. Stringer 17
L. Dahlhaus 18
J. Roughead 18
Z. Cordy 22
J. Dunkley 22

Retired
M. Boyd 17
C. Smith 18
S. Biggs 18
L. Picken 19
T. Boyd 19
D. Morris 19
T. Dickson 20
E. Wood 21

Delisted
F. Roberts 19

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 11:30 AM
I'm actually surprised he's only played 118 games. Seems to have been a fixture for some time.
I'm not a Cordy hater, and I think there should be a giant statue of his knee next to the EJ statue at WO. (the knee that knocked out Callan Ward).

Still surprised the Saints targeted him..... not sure how he improves their list by that much.

They're desperate to add some depth but to me a 3 year deal is a reach.

Dancin' Douggy
05-10-2022, 11:31 AM

Changed Clubs
J. Hamling 16
J. Stringer 17
L. Dahlhaus 18
J. Roughead 18
Z. Cordy 22
J. Dunkley 22

Retired
M. Boyd 17
C. Smith 18
S. Biggs 18
L. Picken 19
T. Boyd 19
D. Morris 19
T. Dickson 20
E. Wood 21

Delisted
F. Roberts 19

and then there were 7

Jasper
05-10-2022, 11:33 AM

No way. The frustration is that he isn't living up to his talent.

hujsh
05-10-2022, 11:38 AM
Wut?

Bloody shitstirrer. Well in case what I wrote was genuinely unclear...

If we're talking about players that are retained too long or shouldn't be on the list then being unable to kick over a jam tin and having no ability to run longer than 100 metres without blowing up are both equally delistable offenses,

Holding onto Patrick Vespremi (who yes I know could still make it) too long is the same as Calumn Porter. Equally wasteful.

Likewise not every player has elite footskills but not every play can work like Daniel Cross. They're talents we just don't think of them that way because we feel like if we 'just tried hard enough' we could replicate the effort. We can't. Crossy was elite for that reason.

Grantysghost
05-10-2022, 11:46 AM
Change team.
Instant body transformation.

https://i.postimg.cc/DwbCvJds/IMG-20221005-104517-632.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
05-10-2022, 11:48 AM
Bloody shitstirrer. Well in case what I wrote was genuinely unclear...

If we're talking about players that are retained too long or shouldn't be on the list then being unable to kick over a jam tin and having no ability to run longer than 100 metres without blowing up are both equally delistable offenses,

Holding onto Patrick Vespremi (who yes I know could still make it) too long is the same as Calumn Porter. Equally wasteful.

Likewise not every player has elite footskills but not every play can work like Daniel Cross. They're talents we just don't think of them that way because we feel like if we 'just tried hard enough' we could replicate the effort. We can't. Crossy was elite for that reason.

At least you understood what I meant.

As for Schache, because he is tall we are hanging and waiting for him to be an AFL player

hujsh
05-10-2022, 12:02 PM

As for Schache, because he is tall we are hanging and waiting for him to be an AFL player

Yeah I think your point overall is fair. I'm undecided on if it applies to Schache. Happy to just leave that for the coaches cause I have no idea what's going on there.

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 12:11 PM

I understood what you meant, it just doesn't make sense.

The ability to work hard isn't talent. Talent is literally defined as an innate skill in a field.

Working hard is an ethic that you need to make happen.

Grantysghost
05-10-2022, 12:14 PM

The ability to work hard isn't talent. Talent is literally defined as an innate skill in a field.

Then what's skill?

hujsh
05-10-2022, 12:18 PM

Idunno. Our brains do be different the the chemistry and electricity and hormones and whatnot. I'm not convinced we all have the same talent for working hard. You can try and get better at it but you can try and get better at kicking, running fast or jumping higher too.

I think it's easy to sit back, look at a 'talented' player struggling and say 'I would simply work as hard as Matthew Boyd'. I genuinely wonder how many of us could, even in an AFL environment, since so few manage to do so.

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 12:26 PM
Then what's skill?

The development of natural talent with repeated practice.

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 12:27 PM
Idunno. Our brains do be different the the chemistry and electricity and hormones and whatnot. I'm not convinced we all have the same talent for working hard. You can try and get better at it but you can try and get better at kicking, running fast or jumping higher too.

I think it's easy to sit back, look at a 'talented' player struggling and say 'I would simply work as hard as Matthew Boyd'. I genuinely wonder how many of us could, even in an AFL environment, since so few manage to do so.

If you're going to keep pushing this barrow we might as well organise a nets session now.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2022, 12:29 PM
If you're going to keep pushing this barrow we might as well organise a nets session now.

Providing an education AND a beating.

I like your work EW.

hujsh
05-10-2022, 12:29 PM

Looking up the best way to get there right now

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 12:32 PM
Providing an education AND a beating.

I like your work EW.

I believe in human rights and human lefts.

Happy Days can send you a dropped pin.

Grantysghost
05-10-2022, 12:32 PM
The development of natural talent with repeated practice.

That's mad skillz.

hujsh
05-10-2022, 12:34 PM
I believe in human rights and human lefts.

Happy Days can send you a dropped pin.

HD won't be there will he? I can't afford to get brain damage I need my brain for like... work and stuff.

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 12:37 PM
HD won't be there will he? I can't afford to get brain damage I need my brain for like... work and stuff.

I always doing my punching on by proxy.

bornadog

I know what you are saying but working hard, having passion and being competitive is also a talent. Skills is only part of the talent.

Bulldog Joe
When is the last decent game he played at AFL level ?

He was actually more than decent in Round 14 against the Giants, Round 15 against Hawthorn and also Round 17 against Sydney.

EasternWest
I know what you are saying but working hard, having passion and being competitive is also a talent. Skills is only part of the talent.

It's literally not, that's your opinion. Nets for you also.

Grantysghost
05-10-2022, 12:41 PM

Talent is also currency.

I purchased 10 grams of Thymosin for 34 talents.

Can work ethic be a natural appitude...hmm. This is interesting. I think it can. Nets?

bornadog
05-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Talent is also currency.

I purchased 10 grams of Thymosin for 34 talents.

Can work ethic be a natural appitude...hmm. This is interesting. I think it can. Nets?

Nah, I give up.

Everyone has convinced me, delist Schache.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 12:49 PM

If he's not there at the agreed time, feel free to start without him. :)

hujsh
05-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Nah, I give up.

Everyone has convinced me, delist Schache.

Haha I love that even when you've been convinced by others you've somehow ended up with the same position you started with. Classic BAD.

That said I think deep down I'd be happy to delist Schache so we can stop discussing whether or not he'll ever make it/if he has already made it but the coaches hate him. We need someone else contentious to replace him. Or maybe we can discuss when exactly JJ stopped being good the same way people discuss when Classic Simpsons ended.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 01:11 PM
I'm thinking of hosting a WOOF list management think tank based on this type of discussion

https://twitter.com/i/status/1576977802871836673

Rocket Science
05-10-2022, 02:44 PM
I love that we're five years into the Schache experiment while still wondering what he is.

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 02:46 PM
I love that we're five years into the Schache experiment while still wondering what he is.

Talented.

Happy Days
05-10-2022, 02:49 PM

What do you mean we cowboy. I know exactly where he is.

MrMahatma
05-10-2022, 03:02 PM
I love Schache... or at least the thought of him... as much as the next guy. But... he shouldn't be on our list. We won't play him. Give him life elsewhere and give someone else a crack with us.

That's footy. Roll on.

Bulldog4life
05-10-2022, 03:06 PM

As long as he doesn't use it on us!

macca
05-10-2022, 03:53 PM
I love Schache... or at least the thought of him... as much as the next guy. But... he shouldn't be on our list. We won't play him. Give him life elsewhere and give someone else a crack with us.

That's footy. Roll on.

We should trade him while he has some value
If he plays 5 games or less next year we will get nothing for him

His the type of player, if he played in one position then he might actually excel his current output ANd swollen some angry pills

Axe Man
05-10-2022, 04:12 PM
We should trade him while he has some value
If he plays 5 games or less next year we will get nothing for him

His the type of player, if he played in one position then he might actually excel his current output ANd swollen some angry pills

He has virtually no trade value now anyway.

Danjul
05-10-2022, 05:47 PM
He has virtually no trade value now anyway.
By design.

Nobody would argue that we should not play Naughton.

In 2021 he played 20+ games and got us into a grand final (and made himself immortal). He averaged 11.2 disposals and 1.9 goals per game. An extraordinary performance.

In 2018/2019 Schache got 27 games and averaged 11.1 disposals and 1.5 goals. And got a reputation for being garbage (allowed 1 full game the next year?).

I know what … but I don’t understand why. Help me out.

bornadog
05-10-2022, 05:55 PM
By design.

Nobody would argue that we should not play Naughton.

In 2021 he played 20+ games and got us into a grand final (and made himself immortal). He averaged 11.2 disposals and 1.9 goals per game. An extraordinary performance.

In 2018/2019 Schache got 27 games and averaged 11.1 disposals and 1.5 goals. And got a reputation for being garbage (allowed 1 full game the next year?).

I know what … but I don’t understand why. Help me out.

He kicked 41 goals in two years. Naughton kicked 98 in the last two years

Danjul
05-10-2022, 06:10 PM
He kicked 41 goals in two years. Naughton kicked 98 in the last two years
I question the intent behind this response.

My comment matched the number of games. Almost identical number of games, almost identical number of disposals, almost identical number of goals. Both performances excellent. Naughton slightly better but he had the advantages of game consistency and a stronger team.

Your comment says twice as many goals in twice as many games. So the fair and honest conclusion is…..

Axe Man
05-10-2022, 06:27 PM

My comment matched the number of games. Almost identical number of games, almost identical number of disposals, almost identical number of goals. Both performances excellent. Naughton slightly better but he had the advantages of game consistency and a stronger team.

Your comment says twice as many goals in twice as many games. So the fair and honest conclusion is…..

No way am I about to get into any Schache debates but you can't seriously say Naughton is only slightly better than Josh? Stats are relevant but so are our eyes.

hujsh
05-10-2022, 06:34 PM
No way am I about to get into any Schache debates but you can't seriously say Naughton is only slightly better than Josh? Stats are relevant but so are our eyes.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/029/223/cover2.jpg

Topdog
05-10-2022, 06:53 PM

He had the advantage of game consistency because he earned it and deserved it.
You also compared a player in his 4th year as an AFL forward to a player in his 1st, the player on his 1st performed better and yet you question why he was given more game time? I question the intent behind your question.

Naughtons worst year has been on par with Scache's best

Danjul
05-10-2022, 06:58 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/029/223/cover2.jpg
In 2021 Naughton was the same age as Schache was in 2019.

he averaged 1.9 goals per game and Schache averaged 1.7

both excellent ( only in my opinion it seems).

I matched the 2 players as best I could in terms of age and games. They come out very similar in terms of output in disposals and goals. I can’t analyse for team differences in the years used but Naughton clearly had the advantage of being a forward in the best performing team recently.

I can’t help it if people don’t like the facts.

Personally I think Naughton is a superstar. Despite the fact that he failed in some important finals.

But the facts don’t help me understand Schache’s treatment, especially in light of the farcical treatment of Bruce’s appalling performances in 2020 and 2022. I believe he was suffering from injury complications but that doesn’t change the selection debacles and how they disadvantaged the team and restricted its performance and success in both years.

Danjul
05-10-2022, 07:10 PM
He had the advantage of game consistency because he earned it and deserved it.
You also compared a player in his 4th year as an AFL forward to a player in his 1st, the player on his 1st performed better and yet you question why he was given more game time? I question the intent behind your question.

Naughtons worst year has been on par with Scache's best

None of this is correct.

l matched the players for age, hence the different years referred to.

I matched them for games, Schache needed 2 years to get 20+.

I included all Schache’s bad games in the period used.

And the similarities are astonishing. Small difference in team contributions. Especially striking in terms of how the players reputations and careers diverged.

You are free to have a different opinion and your own facts. but these facts support what I saw. And they are the facts.

Axe Man
05-10-2022, 07:19 PM
LOBB DEAL WON'T DECIDE SCHACHE'S FUTURE (https://www.afl.com.au/news/854457/three-way-trade-floated-for-jhf-giants-want-more-sun-stays)

A POTENTIAL move taking Rory Lobb to the Western Bulldogs won't decide the fate of uncontracted forward Josh Schache, who remains without a deal heading into the final week of the trade period.

Schache is in limbo as the Dogs continue to search for ways to bolster their key-position stocks, with the club chasing Fremantle forward Lobb having already secured a deal for defender Liam Jones as an unrestricted free agent.

But amid interest from clubs, Schache has been told his future at the Whitten Oval won't depend on the Bulldogs' ability to prise the contracted Lobb from the Dockers in the coming days.

Schache kicked back-to-back hauls of seven goals to finish the VFL season, with his agent Dave Trotter from Hemisphere Management Group saying it has led to rival enquiries about his availability as a delisted free agent.

"(The Bulldogs) haven't made a decision," Trotter told AFL.com.au's Trade Exchange.

"I've been speaking to (list manager) Sam Power pretty regularly. Even with the Rory Lobb one … in my head, I was thinking whether that would rule him out if Lobb did come in. Sam said that isn't exactly the case.

"He's just waiting to see. I've had a couple of calls from clubs as well, but that might be more as a delisted free agent if it didn't work out at the Doggies. I would hope his end to the year, and for a bloke of his size who can do what he can do, I would hope he can hang on to an AFL list somewhere." – Riley Beveridge

bulldogtragic
05-10-2022, 07:31 PM
So I talk Schache and send Turtle my 20c. then by chance the media picks it up. Sign him up Sam.

hujsh
05-10-2022, 07:35 PM
In 2021 Naughton was the same age as Schache was in 2019.

he averaged 1.9 goals per game and Schache averaged 1.7

both excellent ( only in my opinion it seems).

I matched the 2 players as best I could in terms of age and games. They come out very similar in terms of output in disposals and goals. I can’t analyse for team differences in the years used but Naughton clearly had the advantage of being a forward in the best performing team recently.

I can’t help it if people don’t like the facts.

Personally I think Naughton is a superstar. Despite the fact that he failed in some important finals.

But the facts don’t help me understand Schache’s treatment, especially in light of the farcical treatment of Bruce’s appalling performances in 2020 and 2022. I believe he was suffering from injury complications but that doesn’t change the selection debacles and how they disadvantaged the team and restricted its performance and success in both years.

Why is this directed at me? I'm ambivalent. I want no part of any discussions around Schache, Young, Sweet or Lipinski. They are vorboten subjects to me.

Now if you'd like to discuss the legacy of the Queen of England...

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 07:37 PM
Why is this directed at me? I'm ambivalent. I want no part of any discussions around Schache, Young, Sweet or Lipinski. They are vorboten subjects to me.

You can write with both hands?

Grantysghost
05-10-2022, 07:48 PM
You can write with both hands?

Not in German.https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/hbz-queen-elizabeth-badass-ap-9307150277-index-1497445685.jpg

Danjul
05-10-2022, 08:01 PM

Sorry, yours wasn’t the comment I thought I was responding to.

My eyes are not as sharp these days and a large picture cramped the response box on my iPad. It has only been displaying a couple of lines.

I thought I was responding to Axe Man.

once again, humblest apologies.

hujsh
05-10-2022, 08:46 PM
Sorry, yours wasn’t the comment I thought I was responding to.

My eyes are not as sharp these days and a large picture cramped the response box on my iPad. It has only been displaying a couple of lines.

I thought I was responding to Axe Man.

once again, humblest apologies.

All good. After all there's nothing better than getting to claim persecution while not being persecuted.

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 08:54 PM
All good. After all there's nothing better than getting to claim persecution while not being persecuted.

Awesome.

HOSE B ROMERO
05-10-2022, 09:20 PM

Changed Clubs
J. Hamling 16
J. Stringer 17
L. Dahlhaus 18
J. Roughead 18
Z. Cordy 22
J. Dunkley 22

Retired
M. Boyd 17
C. Smith 18
S. Biggs 18
L. Picken 19
T. Boyd 19
D. Morris 19
T. Dickson 20
E. Wood 21

Delisted
F. Roberts 19

I wonder how many premiership teams have only 7 players remaining 6 years after they won the flag?
Random thought. Back to the thread.

Grantysghost
05-10-2022, 09:33 PM
I wonder how many premiership teams have only 7 players remaining 6 years after they won the flag?
Random thought. Back to the thread.

And JJ was almost goneski.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 11:21 PM
It's looking more like Hunter will be staying with us unless he flags his intention to leave soon.

F'scary
05-10-2022, 11:27 PM
It's looking more like Hunter will be staying with us unless he flags his intention to leave soon.

any excuse for a drink.

Vred
07-10-2022, 10:55 AM
Dogs have started speaking to C. Raynor's management.

Doubt anything will come from it, but the question is being asked.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 10:58 AM

Long term, well paid, contract in front of him for him to think about. Let’s see.

Mofra
07-10-2022, 11:16 AM

I expect that's the impetus behind Brisbane coming out of the blue to state Raynor's going nowhere

GVGjr
07-10-2022, 11:39 AM
This needs a bit more work but does something like this get the two deals done? BT can you please run this through your filters.

Move our picks #30, #39 and #65 to Brisbane for #21 and #34.
Trade #21 to Freo for Lobb and a F3
Move Dunkley to Brisbane's for a F1 and F3.

Out Dunkley 21, 30, 39 and 65
In Lobb, 34 and a F1st from Brisbane and a F3 from Fremantle.

I think we are slightly overpaying for Lobb and losing Dunkley for less than his real value but it could get the deals done.

Summary:
Freo lose Lobb and a F3 but gain #21 that can be used unlock the Jackson deal.
Brisbane lose a F1st, F3 and picks #21 and #34 but gain Dunkely #30, #39 and #65 (small loss of points)
Dogs lose Dunkley #21 but gain Lobb, F1st, 2 x F3 and #34. We also let Brisbane know we won't bid for Fletcher

Mofra
07-10-2022, 11:53 AM
This needs a bit more work but does something like this get the two deals done? BT can you please run this through your filters.

Move our picks #30, #39 and #65 to Brisbane for #21 and #34.
Trade #21 to Freo for Lobb and a F3
Move Dunkley to Brisbane's for a F1 and F3.

Out Dunkley 21, 30, 39 and 65
In Lobb, 34 and a F1st from Brisbane and a F3 from Fremantle.

I think we are slightly overpaying for Lobb and losing Dunkley for less than his real value but it could get the deals done.

Summary:
Freo lose Lobb and a F3 but gain #21 that can be used unlock the Jackson deal.
Brisbane lose a F1st, F3 and picks #21 and #34 but gain Dunkely #30, #39 and #65 (small loss of points)
Dogs lose Dunkley #21 but gain Lobb, F1st, 2 x F3 and #34. We also let Brisbane know we won't bid for Fletcher
That Dunkley deal is less than what we originally rejected

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 12:06 PM
That Dunkley deal is less than what we originally rejected

I put up something similar last night. Brisbane need to add a player with first round value to make it work.

Mitcha
07-10-2022, 12:50 PM
With our seemingly lack of actively pursuing another ruck option and sounding like Stef Martin may actually receive another one year contract is there a possibility that we have someone on the hook for next season? If I am correct the son of a former player who plays near Lygon Street may fall out of contract end of 2023. Would be happy to wait for him if there is any chance he may wish to move.

Scorlibo
07-10-2022, 01:24 PM
Could we get involved with North Melbourne's number one pick (really number two) if they're willing to split it? Then tell Brisbane that we won't bid on Ashcroft at pick 1, saving them 483 points - the equivalent of pick 37.

Brisbane

give: 21, F-1st
get: Dunkley, Assurance that we won't bid on Ashcroft

North Melbourne

give: 1, F-2nd
get: 11, 21, F-1st (Bris)

Bulldogs

give: 11, Dunkley
get: 1, F-2nd (NM)

If we still wanted presence in the back half of the first round this year, we could approach the Giants to see if they were interested in taking our future first in exchange for their pick 12 this year. They might like to spread their now plentiful picks over two years.

With the first pick we'd be able to land a Wardlaw/Tsatas/Sheezel, players ready to contribute in their first year. Sheezel in particular as a smart and skilful forward would be a good fit for us as soon as 2023.

jazzadogs
07-10-2022, 01:38 PM
Could we get involved with North Melbourne's number one pick (really number two) if they're willing to split it? Then tell Brisbane that we won't bid on Ashcroft at pick 1, saving them 483 points - the equivalent of pick 37.

Brisbane

give: 21, F-1st
get: Dunkley, Assurance that we won't bid on Ashcroft

North Melbourne

give: 1, F-2nd
get: 11, 21, F-1st (Bris)

Bulldogs

give: 11, Dunkley
get: 1, F-2nd (NM)

If we still wanted presence in the back half of the first round this year, we could approach the Giants to see if they were interested in taking our future first in exchange for their pick 12 this year. They might like to spread their now plentiful picks over two years.

With the first pick we'd be able to land a Wardlaw/Tsatas/Sheezel, players ready to contribute in their first year. Sheezel in particular as a smart and skilful forward would be a good fit for us as soon as 2023.

Love the idea but North need more than 11 and a predicted 15ish to give up pick 1. You would only do that for two top 10 picks, or some variation in picks with established players attached.

I would probably do that deal for Dunkley in isolation.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-10-2022, 02:59 PM
With our seemingly lack of actively pursuing another ruck option and sounding like Stef Martin may actually receive another one year contract is there a possibility that we have someone on the hook for next season? If I am correct the son of a former player who plays near Lygon Street may fall out of contract end of 2023. Would be happy to wait for him if there is any chance he may wish to move.

Reference too obscure for me. Dimattina's or Peter Street's got a son?
De Konig surely not?

Bulldog Revolution
07-10-2022, 03:08 PM
Reference too obscure for me. Dimattina's or Peter Street's got a son?
De Konig surely not?

Id say its De Koning

Scorlibo
07-10-2022, 03:13 PM
Love the idea but North need more than 11 and a predicted 15ish to give up pick 1. You would only do that for two top 10 picks, or some variation in picks with established players attached.

I would probably do that deal for Dunkley in isolation.

Perhaps pick 39 as a sweetener?

Remembering that it's effectively Pick 2, I don't think those two picks and a pick around the 20 mark brought forward is way off the mark, depending on the Roos' priorities. They'd likely be left slightly down on expected quality but up on expected games played (quantity).

Mitcha
07-10-2022, 03:23 PM
Id say its De Koning
Thats the one, hopefully we have been in his ear for a while, you can't start the process too early. Carlton are overpaying many on their list and something will have to give. He hasn't re-signed yet and at worst if we or anyone else offer him good coin Carlton either have to "pony up" or he walks. Nothing to lose here, be proactive.

EasternWest
07-10-2022, 04:11 PM
Thats the one, hopefully we have been in his ear for a while, you can't start the process too early. Carlton are overpaying many on their list and something will have to give. He hasn't re-signed yet and at worst if we or anyone else offer him good coin Carlton either have to "pony up" or he walks. Nothing to lose here, be proactive.

No chance.

If he goes anywhere he'll join his brother at Geelong for the "culture" and not at all for the "coa$tal life$tyle".

soupman
07-10-2022, 04:47 PM
No chance.

If he goes anywhere he'll join his brother at Geelong for the "culture" and not at all for the "coa$tal life$tyle".

Someone on twitter said he's building a house in Jan Juc. Not sure if serious.

EasternWest
07-10-2022, 04:57 PM
Someone on twitter said he's building a house in Jan Juc. Not sure if serious.

Undoubtedly got a great deal in a totally legit and not at all crooked process.

Axe Man
07-10-2022, 05:14 PM
If Hunter leaves and there are no better options would we look at Tom Phillips as a DFA for a wing role?

Was a decent player at Collingwood, made an AA squad, not sure what's happened to him at the hawks.

Bulldog4life
07-10-2022, 05:46 PM
If Hunter leaves and there are no better options would we look at Tom Phillips as a DFA for a wing role?

Was a decent player at Collingwood, made an AA squad, not sure what's happened to him at the hawks.

He reckons his best footy is in the future, Who knows?

Stevo
10-10-2022, 08:54 AM
I'm hearing Hunter hasn't asked to be traded so he is staying with us.

EasternWest
10-10-2022, 03:56 PM
I'm hearing Hunter hasn't asked to be traded so he is staying with us.

Then it's on us to get him right.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2022, 07:09 PM
What are our thoughts heading into the second last day of trading?

Unless there's a surprise, it looks like;

- Jones in and Cordy out. That's an improvement.
- Lobb in and an early second round pick out. Bit of a price to pay, but he fills a need. I still need convincing.
- Dunkley out, likely a F1 and second round pick in. Pretty ordinary if so - speculative picks and no quality to improve us while we're trying to contend.
- Hunter a potential out?

That's not quite the level of activity that the club flagged initially, nor the type of movement I was really hoping for. I was hoping we might target some lesser types to fill roles (i.e. Acres - wing or in past years, Duryea - lockdown small defender) but that hasn't happened and looks pretty unlikely. Usually this info gets out by now.

Assuming Hunter stays but the rest happens, I'd be underwhelmed and I'd question if the club is again overrating the list/giving benefit of the doubt and ignoring 2021 when they shouldn't.

I find us hard to get a read on, in that in parts we seemed unhappy about our year and flagged change, but besides lose an elite player (Cordy) and a roleplayer (Dunkley) ;) we've not exactly been aggressive. Jones was a free hit (nice) but that's kind of... it?

Mofra
10-10-2022, 07:18 PM
Nothing about Crozier as well, so I assume there's been little interest

Grantysghost
10-10-2022, 07:25 PM
What are our thoughts heading into the second last day of trading?

Unless there's a surprise, it looks like;

- Jones in and Cordy out. That's an improvement.
- Lobb in and an early second round pick out. Bit of a price to pay, but he fills a need. I still need convincing.
- Dunkley out, likely a F1 and second round pick in. Pretty ordinary if so - speculative picks and no quality to improve us while we're trying to contend.
- Hunter a potential out?

That's not quite the level of activity that the club flagged initially, nor the type of movement I was really hoping for. I was hoping we might target some lesser types to fill roles (i.e. Acres - wing or in past years, Duryea - lockdown small defender) but that hasn't happened and looks pretty unlikely. Usually this info gets out by now.

Assuming Hunter stays but the rest happens, I'd be underwhelmed and I'd question if the club is again overrating the list/giving benefit of the doubt and ignoring 2021 when they shouldn't.

I find us hard to get a read on, in that in parts we seemed unhappy about our year and flagged change, but besides lose an elite player (Cordy) and a roleplayer (Dunkley) ;) we've not exactly been aggressive. Jones was a free hit (nice) but that's kind of... it?

We had Lobb planned and that nearly fell arse over and still might.

GVGjr
10-10-2022, 07:33 PM
Nothing about Crozier as well, so I assume there's been little interest

No real surprise there unless a club like North wanted to bring in an experienced player but with Tocker and Logue arriving that door would have closed. North might also get Dunkley

kruder
10-10-2022, 08:14 PM
If there was going to be a player involved surely we would have heard about it by now?

Best outcome is 21 and future first and Lobb at 30. If that's the case I reckon we need to keep Hunter, quite a few clubs have improved their list more than us.

When it comes down to it, its all about nailing the pics that's what we do well,generally trade week isn't a period we dominate we have always struggled to lure serious known talent.

GVGjr
10-10-2022, 08:47 PM
If there was going to be a player involved surely we would have heard about it by now?

Best outcome is 21 and future first and Lobb at 30. If that's the case I reckon we need to keep Hunter, quite a few clubs have improved their list more than us.

When it comes down to it, its all about nailing the pics that's what we do well,generally trade week isn't a period we dominate we have always struggled to lure serious known talent.

If we don't trade Dunks ie he goes to the PSD, I can't see how we bring in Lobb unless Freo folds and accepts #30

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2022, 10:07 PM

I'm not concerned about landing big names. I mean, it'd be nice if Junior Rioli nominated us (is he even a big name?), But I'm a little surprised we haven't tried to recruit some specific types. Even if some of them are depth.

Our starting 18 probably looks OK against most, but after a couple of injuries, our list drops away when we're playing McComb/McNeil types for 10+ games.

Setterfield isn't great but was there. Acres was there. Bedford is a type we lack. I understand some of these want to PLAY, maybe they wouldn't entertain us for that reason, but did we even try? Did we even consider?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2022, 10:12 PM
I'm not concerned about landing big names. I mean, it'd be nice if Junior Rioli nominated us (is he even a big name?), But I'm a little surprised we haven't tried to recruit some specific types. Even if some of them are depth.

Our starting 18 probably looks OK against most, but after a couple of injuries, our list drops away when we're playing McComb/McNeil types for 10+ games.

Setterfield isn't great but was there. Acres was there. Bedford is a type we lack. I understand some of these want to PLAY, maybe they wouldn't entertain us for that reason, but did we even try? Did we even consider?

Outside of Lobb, I can’t think of a single current player (not inc. Jones) even rumoured to have been considering us of been linked to us. Which is a little odd for a team clearly thinking the premiership window is wide open.

macca
10-10-2022, 11:21 PM
Outside of Lobb, I can’t think of a single current player (not inc. Jones) even rumoured to have been considering us of been linked to us. Which is a little odd for a team clearly thinking the premiership window is wide open.

Is it the big club factor for these guys ? Because the AFL should seriously should look at how these big clubs keep poaching players during and creates an unbalanced comp

Setterfield goes to Essendon
Acres goes to Carlton ( really missed this one )
McStay to Collingwood
Taranto Richmond
Geelong and their brown bag packages sigh...

azabob
11-10-2022, 08:05 AM
I'm not too fussed if a big name is linked to us or not.

Sometimes the price to pay is too much and you limit your ability to continue to bring young talent into your club.

What I would like to see more of is the Shane Biggs, Taylor Duryea type trades which are relatively cheap draft pick and $ wise.

As BB alludes to were we targeting Arces and Bedford types?

Did Brisbane doing what they did limit our ability to target some midrange players?

AshMac
11-10-2022, 08:28 AM
Is it the big club factor for these guys ? Because the AFL should seriously should look at how these big clubs keep poaching players during and creates an unbalanced comp

Setterfield goes to Essendon
Acres goes to Carlton ( really missed this one )
McStay to Collingwood
Taranto Richmond
Geelong and their brown bag packages sigh...

I agree. It’s a tough one to solve but there is definitely something there around equalisation of soft signals.

When was the last time Collingwood, Richmond or Carlton had to travel down the Geelong road to play?

How many Sunday 4.40 games did we play before 2016?

Does anyone really think that if it was Collingwoods 2021 finals campaign they would have experienced what we did? Or at worst, that it wouldn’t have had a committee setup to review to ensure it never happens again?

The money is one thing - but in honesty, if the AFL is going to run a chain business model then they need to protect all assets, so I view this as largely monetary rather than “for the good of the game”

These soft signals just don’t make the smaller clubs as attractive to players and overall have an impact on membership numbers and club brand name

SquirrelGrip
11-10-2022, 10:05 AM
The money is one thing - but in honesty, if the AFL is going to run a chain business model then they need to protect all assets, so I view this as largely monetary rather than “for the good of the game”

True, but whilst they might keep the Filet O Fish on the menu, the Big Mac is still going to be receiving the bulk of the advertising and meal deals.

lemmon
11-10-2022, 11:28 AM
I agree. It’s a tough one to solve but there is definitely something there around equalisation of soft signals.

It will never happen but I'd love to see the US model adopted here - when you're in contract, you have no choice of where you're traded.

We're talking about adults who make big bucks. They're well-compensated enough to sacrifice complete autonomy on where they live and work.

I'm sure clubs would be mature enough to deal respectfully with cases where well-being is a genuine concern, but Ollie Henry wanting to move 40 minutes down the highway after two seasons is a piss-take and Collingwood have every right to be ropeable in my mind.

WBFC4FFC
11-10-2022, 11:51 AM
It will never happen but I'd love to see the US model adopted here - when you're in contract, you have no choice of where you're traded.

We're talking about adults who make big bucks. They're well-compensated enough to sacrifice complete autonomy on where they live and work.

I'm sure clubs would be mature enough to deal respectfully with cases where well-being is a genuine concern, but Ollie Henry wanting to move 40 minutes down the highway after two seasons is a piss-take and Collingwood have every right to be ropeable in my mind.

100%! It has to get to this.

Contracts will be honoured but you just can't pick and choose where to play when you are in a contract.

Bullies
11-10-2022, 12:17 PM
True, but whilst they might keep the Filet O Fish on the menu, the Big Mac is still going to be receiving the bulk of the advertising and meal deals. You only look at North having to pay Griffen Logue $4m for 5 years which is more than Dunks is getting at Lions. No matter what people say the "lesser" clubs have to pay overs to attract anyone. What they call internally as the "shit" club tax.

soupman
11-10-2022, 12:21 PM
Nah I'm all for player power and realistically over half the comp aren't paid enough to be moved around without their consent, and I'm not sure I agree with even the top end guys being sent against their will. I mean they are people whose moves affect multiple other peoples lives.

I think there is merit in players being able to officially nominate a state they are happy to be traded to, and the club being able to negotiate any deal that gets them to that state, but even that I think has limitations.

Watching trades is great and all but I'm not sure the AFL or it's clubs should be trusted with more power over players lives, never forget they are much more amateurish and selfish than they make out.

Scorlibo
11-10-2022, 12:31 PM
Nah I'm all for player power and realistically over half the comp aren't paid enough to be moved around without their consent, and I'm not sure I agree with even the top end guys being sent against their will. I mean they are people whose moves affect multiple other peoples lives.

I think there is merit in players being able to officially nominate a state they are happy to be traded to, and the club being able to negotiate any deal that gets them to that state, but even that I think has limitations.

Watching trades is great and all but I'm not sure the AFL or it's clubs should be trusted with more power over players lives, never forget they are much more amateurish and selfish than they make out.

I'd expect that the harsher trade conditions would have to be paired with unlimited free agency, and under those circumstances players would end up with more freedom.

Let's not forget that the draft already sends players all over the country, at the tender age of 18 and on low salaries.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Worth remembering the US guys are all on multi-million dollar contracts too. Changes things a bit.

I don't like the lack of power clubs have at the moment. I wonder if given the way our trade system works if there needs to be a bit of an overhaul and the AFL should be involved directly in setting prices for all trades? Then again it's the AFL and just imagining the shenanigans they'd get up to would drive us all crazy.

Maybe someone completely independent/competent could do it.

For a start I think if a player agrees to a contract with a club and requests a trade any club in that state should be able to match the contract and make offers to the team for the player. There is no club so far away from the others that it would impact the ability to visit familily etc.

Let's call it the totally not anti Geelong/Carlton rule

lemmon
11-10-2022, 12:56 PM

Very fair points and I agree with Scorlibo in that it would be the kind of move somewhat offset with unlimited free agency.

At what point does the player need to take some responsibility for the contract they've signed? Obviously talking about established players and not draftees who have no say anyway, ala someone like Lobb.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 01:21 PM
Worth remembering the US guys are all on multi-million dollar contracts too. Changes things a bit.

I don't like the lack of power clubs have at the moment. I wonder if given the way our trade system works if there needs to be a bit of an overhaul and the AFL should be involved directly in setting prices for all trades? Then again it's the AFL and just imagining the shenanigans they'd get up to would drive us all crazy.

Maybe someone completely independent/competent could do it.

For a start I think if a player agrees to a contract with a club and requests a trade any club in that state should be able to match the contract and make offers to the team for the player. There is no club so far away from the others that it would impact the ability to visit familily etc.

Let's call it the totally not anti Geelong/Carlton rule

ALSO! Contracts agreed to as part of a trade must be honoured. AFL to approve contracts and reject suspicious ones (1 year at 1 mil for a 25 year old etc).

Geelong would still exploit this system by dumping their cap into traded in players and getting their stars to 'accept unders as part of the culture' while making their cash turning up to a Simmonds Homes showcase once a year but it's a step towards making it harder for them to do so.

Axe Man
11-10-2022, 01:42 PM
MELBOURNE CONSIDERING PLOY TO RECRUIT FRINGE BULLDOG (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/11/melbourne-considering-ploy-to-recruit-fringe-bulldog/)

Melbourne has an interest in recruiting Bulldog Josh Schache.

SEN Chief Sports Reporter Sam Edmund broke the news on Tuesday morning, but added it was far from a done deal.

Schache managed just seven games in 2022 and was even used behind the ball at times, with the Western Bulldogs struggling to fit the key forward into the mix ahead of the footy.

It’s unlikely to become any easier for Schache to break into the side with the possible recruitment of Rory Lobb and the continued development of a number of young players.

But for Melbourne, who could lose Sam Weideman to Essendon despite the tall having a year to run on his contract, the move could prove fruitful.

Edmund suggested the Bulldogs wouldn’t haggle extensively over an asking price.

“Melbourne is considering bringing in Josh Schache, they have some sort of an interest here,” Edmund began on SEN Mornings.

“Schache is 25, remains without a contract for next year at the Kennel… you would think (he is) set to slip further down the pecking order there given the pursuit of (Rory) Lobb and the emergence of Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Aaron Naughton is there, perhaps a fit again Josh Bruce as well.

“Schache, 2015 pick two (in the National Draft) to the Brisbane Lions, he kicked 17 goals from his last three VFL games this year including two bags of seven, so there is some interest there.

“Let’s not put the cart in front of the horse and say it’s definitely happening. If it was to happen you think it would be a Will Setterfield-type arrangement. They wouldn’t have to give up a lot I would have thought.

“That would mean the Demons have lost Luke Jackson, Toby Bedford, Jayden Hunt, (but) they’re still going to get Brodie Grundy in there.”

Melbourne’s struggles forward of the ball were well noted in 2022, with Simon Goodwin’s team unable to capitalise with a smaller setup.

But Edmund tempered expectations on what Schache could achieve for the Demons.

“You wouldn’t in any way, shape or form put him up as the beacon of hope, the answer, given that I guess that was the postscript to Melbourne’s season, they couldn’t capitalise on their midfield dominance,” he added.

“So perhaps this does mean Sam Weideman is out the door to the Bombers and perhaps Melbourne is just after a bit of depth, a bit of competition for those key forward spots and maybe that’s led them to Schache.”

Weideman could reportedly move to the Dons in exchange for a third round pick after 59 games in seven years at Melbourne.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 01:51 PM
God damn it.

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 01:56 PM
Melbourne got the Jackson deal done so they can focus on areas of need.
Well played.

josie
11-10-2022, 01:58 PM
Schache is good backup. I hope we don’t lose him. Hope he does well with wherever he plays and has adequate chances to play.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 02:04 PM
If Schache kicks on at Melbourne how many threads do you think will devolve into a discussion on Schache again?

I'm thinking 140 is around the mark.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 02:06 PM
If Schache kicks on at Melbourne how many threads do you think will devolve into a discussion on Schache again?

Boumann to Hawks.

Boumann.
To.
Hawks.

That will be nothing.

josie
11-10-2022, 02:23 PM
Boumann never got a senior game with either club, did he? Drafted same time as J. Grant.

Happy Days
11-10-2022, 02:29 PM
Boumann never got a senior game with either club, did he? Drafted same time as J. Grant.

He got literally one game with Hawthorn I think. Comrade still thinks he can make it though!

Happy Days
11-10-2022, 02:29 PM

If Schache goes to Melbourne then we need to ban any discussion about him for the good of the site.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 02:35 PM
If Schache goes to Melbourne then we need to ban any discussion about him for the good of the site.

Religion, politics and Schache. Get on it GVGjr

bornadog
11-10-2022, 02:38 PM
He got literally one game with Hawthorn I think. Comrade still thinks he can make it though!

Come on, he had two games :D

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2022, 03:03 PM
Why would we HELP Melbourne by giving them solid, senior depth?

It's stupid.

josie
11-10-2022, 03:05 PM

It's stupid.

Because our mc refuses to play Schache? Hope he does well with whomever he plays for and if we keep him play him please - he looked good in backline in PF last year and we did no persist with this, puzzling.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 03:11 PM

It's stupid.

He is not up to it that is why

AshMac
11-10-2022, 03:16 PM
Because our mc refuses to play Schache? Hope he does well with whomever he plays for and if we keep him play him please - he looked good in backline in PF last year and we did no persist with this, puzzling.

I honestly don’t understand this - why we didn’t persist and give him a decent run at it whilst a banged up Keath with horrible body language and close to zero impact played most weeks in that role

bornadog
11-10-2022, 03:20 PM
I honestly don’t understand this - why we didn’t persist and give him a decent run at it whilst a banged up Keath with horrible body language and close to zero impact played most weeks in that role

After 5 seasons at the Bulldogs, it is time to trade/delist

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2022, 03:21 PM
He is not up to it that is why

Ah, right.

So why have we got McComb, Crozier, Martin, Butler, Wallis and Parker on the list?

You need depth - players that aren't stars that can play a couple of different roles WHEN you have injuries. Schache is that, which is exactly why Melbourne are enquiring.

For some reason, we're happy to move on depth but get nothing in return.

If we provide a pathway for Schache to go and keep Martin, jobs need questioning.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 03:24 PM
Ah, right.

So why have we got McComb, Crozier, Martin, Butler, Wallis and Parker on the list?

You need depth - players that aren't stars that can play a couple of different roles WHEN you have injuries. Schache is that, which is exactly why Melbourne are enquiring.

If we provide a pathway for Schache to go and keep Martin, jobs need questioning.

McComb, and Parker - Rookies and first year players

Crozier contracted another year. Signed when he was best 22, but lost form.
Martin, - should be retired off (hope)
Butler, - most likely will be delisted
Wallis - out of contract - who knows what happens

There is always a reason.

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 03:27 PM
If it's better for Schache and we don't rate / aren't going to play him then why wouldn't we do the deal and let him get a fresh start?

Casey back to back for sure ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2022, 03:28 PM
McComb, and Parker - Rookies and first year players

Crozier contracted another year. Signed when he was best 22, but lost form.
Martin, - should be retired off (hope)
Butler, - most likely will be delisted
Wallis - out of contract - who knows what happens

There is always a reason.

Your blind faith is crazy. A reason doesn't make it a correct call.

McComb had a 1-year deal and we re-signed him - does anybody actually believe he's anywhere near AFL standard?

Crozier never should have got the deal to begin with, but alas, we're stuck with him.

We'll see what happens with the rest, but this off-season is far from inspiring on so many levels.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 03:31 PM
Ah, right.

I suspect Crozier would be gone if not contracted. Butler surely gone after the trade period, Wallis and Parker should go but who knows. Martin will probably be retained because we found no one else to provide depth in the ruck (unless we're waiting to see who's available in the draft)

TBH there's not looking like being a spot for Schache forward if we land Lobb to go with Naughts, JUH maybe Darcy and Bruce (who should at least not be hopeless next year). Back we'd have Gardner, Jones and I guess Keath preferred ahead of him (rightly or wrongly with Keath I dunno what the state of his body is), Maybe Darcy if we want him in defence?

I guess if we've written him off as a defender entirely and there's 4 (or 5) players ahead of him for a forward spot is he even depth? We don't seem to want to play him. If we got pick 55 (a guess I have NFI what Melbourne have) and traded it to Brisbane instead of 39 would it be worth it? I think it might be.

Agree we shouldn't have signed McComb and Crozier was signed for too long in hindsight BTW. We don't value list spots and the chance of finding talent enough IMO

bornadog
11-10-2022, 03:32 PM
Your blind faith is crazy. A reason doesn't make it a correct call.

McComb had a 1-year deal and we re-signed him - does anybody actually believe he's anywhere near AFL standard?

Crozier never should have got the deal to begin with, but alas, we're stuck with him.

We'll see what happens with the rest, but this off-season is far from inspiring on so many levels.

MATE - please don't post stuff like "Blind Faith is crazy" - not the first time either.

I am just giving you reasons. If I had my way, I would delist the lot.

F'scary
11-10-2022, 03:49 PM
What have the Ski Racks to offer us for Schache?

Rocket Science
11-10-2022, 03:53 PM
What have the Ski Racks to offer us for Schache?

A signed 'Freed from Desire' cassingle?

Danjul
11-10-2022, 03:53 PM
Because we prefer this.

josie
11-10-2022, 03:54 PM

And a HD copy of Dees 2 x losing 2022 finals.

Mofra
11-10-2022, 03:56 PM

It's stupid.
Schache is uncontracted.

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 03:59 PM

That plays backwards and somehow spies on Bevo.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 04:06 PM
Because we prefer this.

Better find a new love Danjul

F'scary
11-10-2022, 04:09 PM

How about we just delist him...

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 04:37 PM

We still have Sweety.

Stevo
11-10-2022, 04:38 PM
After 5 seasons at the Bulldogs, it is time to trade/delist

You shouldnt put a time frame on a player but have a close look at displayed form and based on that Shaq is good enough.
Beveridge is the problem and that means Shaq is too quick to be dropped.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2022, 05:02 PM
Schache is uncontracted.

It's not like he wants to leave though.

We aren't offering him anything, which given the state of our list, I find perplexing. He isn't/won't be on big coin.

If we offered him a contract that he didn't accept, fair enough, but I don't understand the rationale between not seeing him as adequate depth (which he is), helping another contender fill a hole in THEIR depth, for absolutely no gain.

All the while we have some players on our list who aren't anywhere near the standard.

I'd rather pay Crozier out and delist him.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 05:05 PM
You shouldnt put a time frame on a player but have a close look at displayed form and based on that Shaq is good enough.

I don't agree. He has had plenty of chances to prove he is best 22.

Mantis
11-10-2022, 05:05 PM

But given Bevo is coaching in 2023 it's a no brainer that Shaq has to move for greater opportunities as he will be clearly wasting his time being a WB listed player.

kruder
11-10-2022, 05:10 PM
Does a 5 man interchange help Sweetys cause? I really value him at the stoppage and 5 on the interchange gives him a place to hide occasionally. I think it would suit our midfield mix particularly if Lobb doesn’t come(still expecting it to happen)

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2022, 05:14 PM
Does a 5 man interchange help Sweetys cause? I really value him at the stoppage and 5 on the interchange gives him a place to hide occasionally. I think it would suit our midfield mix particularly if Lobb doesn’t come(still expecting it to happen)

It does, but so it does for every other club.

I do like it though - seeing ACTUAL ruckmen RUCK is better for the game.

It's irritating seeing midfielders and back flankers (Cordy) ruck.

F'scary
11-10-2022, 05:14 PM
I don't agree. He has had plenty of chances to prove he is best 22.

Looking at his career, it really stalled after 2019. I wonder if he is a victim of Covid?

GVGjr
11-10-2022, 05:21 PM

I think it does but it depends on if Bevo wants to ruck and roll.

F'scary
11-10-2022, 05:27 PM
With Schache, what really destroyed his career was his performance in the 2019 Elimination Final.

Dancin' Douggy
11-10-2022, 05:27 PM
Should this thread title be changed to ‘List mismanagement’ ?

bornadog
11-10-2022, 05:28 PM

5 man not confirmed yet, but AFL saying a decision will be made before end of December

F'scary
11-10-2022, 05:30 PM
5 man not confirmed yet, but AFL saying a decision will be made before end of December

...making it up as they go along...

Eastdog
Should this thread title be changed to ‘List mismanagement’ ?

Yeah it certainly has been a little frustrating for sure. Certainly would have liked to have gone for Grundy for the ruck situation but he opted for the Demons. Liam Jones will provide some good experience in the back half. Hopefully he recaptures his pre-covid form when at the Blues.

I hope we get something decent back for Dunkley. A must because he is a B&F winner and a premiership player. Been really good in recent years. Lobb if we get him will provide more experience again up forward and will give a chop out to English.

jeemak
We'll probably put a one year/ rookie contract in front of him if he can't be traded. Which to me is the right thing to do.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 05:31 PM
...making it up as they go along...

Nothing different from AFL

Danjul
11-10-2022, 07:37 PM
I notice that you did not respond appropriately to the image.

I was at the game and was disgusted by the incompetent selection blunder.

Why weren’t you when it flies in the face of everything professional sports are supposed to represent.

I respect the players including that one.

The MC, that’s another matter.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 09:14 PM
I notice that you did not respond appropriately to the image.

I was at the game and was disgusted by the incompetent selection blunder.

Why weren’t you when it flies in the face of everything professional sports are supposed to represent.

I respect the players including that one.

The MC, that’s another matter.

I didn’t want to go over old ground

Danjul
11-10-2022, 10:08 PM
I didn’t want to go over old ground
It’s ground that must be fixed going forward.

My concerns have very little to do with Schache himself. When I was his age I had to work a second job to make ends meet. He has had it easy over a number of years. He has had some good times. For me he is the fish that tells you that the refrigerator has been broken for a while.

My concern is I have been paying for membership for years and now believe that I am being treated as a mug.

Let me give an example. A few years ago I commented on WOOF that I couldn’t believe the team selected for a Carlton game. Backline Cordy. Middle English Forward line Naughton. That was the only height. Dogs were smashed by a team that had been virtually winless for years. Move forward to 2020? When we played Carlton we were 1 down for half the game because a player sat on the bench while the opposition kicked 6 unanswered goals on their way to victory. How about this year’s match against Carlton? Similar situation. Another loss for similar structural reasons.

I make mistakes and I expect others to. But anyone who assumes I will continue accepting the ongoing contempt illustrated in that image is making a very big mistake, because I am not the only one who is responding.

Stevo
11-10-2022, 11:13 PM
It’s ground that must be fixed going forward.

My concerns have very little to do with Schache himself. When I was his age I had to work a second job to make ends meet. He has had it easy over a number of years. He has had some good times. For me he is the fish that tells you that the refrigerator has been broken for a while.

My concern is I have been paying for membership for years and now believe that I am being treated as a mug.

Let me give an example. A few years ago I commented on WOOF that I couldn’t believe the team selected for a Carlton game. Backline Cordy. Middle English Forward line Naughton. That was the only height. Dogs were smashed by a team that had been virtually winless for years. Move forward to 2020? When we played Carlton we were 1 down for half the game because a player sat on the bench while the opposition kicked 6 unanswered goals on their way to victory. How about this year’s match against Carlton? Similar situation. Another loss for similar structural reasons.

I make mistakes and I expect others to. But anyone who assumes I will continue accepting the ongoing contempt illustrated in that image is making a very big mistake, because I am not the only one who is responding.

Luv your work Danjul. I dont always agree but it makes for an interesting read.

Bullies
12-10-2022, 10:06 AM
Schache is good backup. I hope we don’t lose him. Hope he does well with wherever he plays and has adequate chances to play. We deserve to lose him the way we have treated him. Can see another Roughead, Young, Lapinski happening here.

Axe Man
12-10-2022, 11:57 AM
Another of Williams’ clients, Western Bulldogs forward Josh Bruce, has also been floated around in trade circles given that his club is attempting to recruit Rory Lobb from Fremantle.

However, the 30-year-old former Giant and Saint will not be joining a fourth AFL club anytime soon and could even find himself in defence at times in 2023.

“Josh is committed to playing at the Dogs,” said Williams.

“He’s got another year to go on his contract. He had a great year in 2021 until he did his ACL.

“The aim was just for him to come back and play a little bit of football in 2022, which he did. I know Josh is training really hard at the moment and looking to make a big impact there.

“I think he’ll have a chat with ‘Bevo’, he might either play in defence or up forward so that remains to be seen.”

Link (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/11/weideman-expected-to-join-dons-in-possible-three-way-deal-bruce-going/)

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2022, 11:59 AM
“The aim was just for him to come back and play a little bit of football in 2022, which he did.

I thought the aim was to try and win a premiership???

bornadog
12-10-2022, 12:04 PM
“The aim was just for him to come back and play a little bit of football in 2022, which he did.

Don't forget he was coming off an ACL - premierships are far from his mind at that stage.

We made the mistake of trying to get him fit for finals - which backfired.

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2022, 12:17 PM
Don't forget he was coming off an ACL - premierships are far from his mind at that stage.

We made the mistake of trying to get him fit for finals - which backfired.

Seems we had our priorities out of order though, I'm not talking about HIM winning a premiership, I'm talking about the team winning one.

Mofra
12-10-2022, 12:18 PM
Not if we get Lobb

Axe Man
12-10-2022, 12:20 PM
Seems we had our priorities out of order though, I'm not talking about HIM winning a premiership, I'm talking about the team winning one.

It's Bruce's manager talking about Bruce specifically. Why would he be talking about our team goals?

Topdog
12-10-2022, 12:21 PM

Yeah but that was the aim of HIM and not the aim of the club.

The aim of the club was to win a premiership and we came up well short.

hujsh
12-10-2022, 12:23 PM

Let's not be silly. Players will have personal goals (probably set by coaches) aside from just winning a premiership.

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2022, 12:28 PM
Maybe I didn't word my post very well and maybe I'm just plain wrong......

The point I was trying to make was that I believe the club / selection committee erred in continuing to play Bruce in the seniors for HIS sake, when he was clearly not ready and was basically contributing nothing on field. We should have been focusing on grooming the team and our game plan and our players for finals and a grand final......

F'scary
12-10-2022, 12:30 PM

The point I was trying to make was that I believe the club / selection committee erred in continuing to play Bruce in the seniors for HIS sake, when he was clearly not ready and was basically contributing nothing on field. We should have been focusing on grooming the team and our game plan and our players for finals and a grand final......

It was obvious after his first senior game this year that he needed to spend time in the VFL. It was almost cruel the way they kept playing him.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2022, 12:34 PM
It was obvious after his first senior game this year that he needed to spend time in the VFL. It was almost cruel the way they kept playing him.

I viewed it as an overly strong show of faith, hoping he could get back to form, and contribute to a deep finals run

Alas, not to be

bornadog
12-10-2022, 12:34 PM

Agree, and as I said it backfired. Bevo was hoping he would regain his form, but that should have been in the VFL like Toby Mclean. Toby then hit form and played finals.

F'scary
12-10-2022, 01:27 PM
Agree, and as I said it backfired. Bevo was hoping he would regain his form, but that should have been in the VFL like Toby Mclean. Toby then hit form and played finals.

Toby looked really good.

Topdog
12-10-2022, 01:32 PM
I think the MC stuffed up with Bruce but at the same time playing VFL he was apparently dominating. It was really obvious he couldnt help the AFL side after his first game and just sad watching him try after that. Still think he can be important in 23.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2022, 01:44 PM
I think the MC stuffed up with Bruce but at the same time playing VFL he was apparently dominating. It was really obvious he couldnt help the AFL side after his first game and just sad watching him try after that. Still think he can be important in 23.

Yeah I get it, but you can see why they would have tried - if we'd gotten him to moderately near his 2021 level before injured then we would have beaten Freo and had another crack on the MCG

Axe Man
12-10-2022, 01:58 PM
FAVOURITE FOR JAEGER O’MEARA EMERGES (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-trade-period-2022-follow-the-latest-updates-from-deadline-day/news-story/f3351ff732334cff062767926429ab8a)

Greater Western Sydney accepts Jaeger O’Meara is more likely to choose Fremantle as his club of choice as Rory Lobb’s potential trade hangs on the Dockers securing the Hawthorn midfielder.

O’Meara is in West Australia on a fact-finding mission, having decided to leave Hawthorn but still tossing up whether to move to GWS or Fremantle.

GWS would need to have Hawthorn pay some of his salary to be able to fit him in the cap, and has pitched a role with leadership and some midfield time.

O’Meara and his partner are both from West Australia and the Giants believe the Dockers are firm favourites to lure his services.

But the Herald Sun understands the Lobb trade depends upon the Dockers securing O’Meara.

If they lose out on O’Meara they will still consider trying to retain Lobb despite offers from the Dogs including pick 30 and next year’s second-rounder.

The Dockers still believe there are ways to secure Gold Coast wingman Jeremy Sharp without having to secure the Dogs’ future second-rounder in the deal.

They are trying to come up with ways to separate the Sharp deal from the Dunkley and Lobb deals as a fallback in case those deals all fall over.

Ideally the Dockers would secure another future second-round selection for the Sharp deal but there is still a level of confidence he will find his way to Fremantle.

GWS list boss Jason McCartney said the Giants hoped to find out about O’Meara soon.

“He is in Perth now. We are just waiting to see what his decision is today. We will speak to him today. Hopefully in the next hour or two we’ll know,” he told Trade Radio.

“If he was to come to our club he would play a really important role in developing (our young) players into good AFL players with good AFL training standards. We are not just looking to bolster our midfield, we have some really good depth in there already.”

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 02:05 PM
Sounds promising. Except where we pay more for Lobb than Bruce. But I’ll take it.

Mofra
12-10-2022, 02:10 PM
Toby looked really good.
In the final, he looked good in the first half. Less so in the second.

Probably a conditioning issue so with a pre-season and match fitness he might surprise us in 2023.

Mofra
12-10-2022, 02:11 PM
Sounds promising. Except where we pay more for Lobb than Bruce. But I’ll take it.
I'm comfortable with a P2 & F2 as part of a deal for Lobb. We've made a commitment to him and I really think his arrival will be great for Sam Darcy who he can model his future game on.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 02:20 PM
I'm comfortable with a P2 & F2 as part of a deal for Lobb. We've made a commitment to him and I really think his arrival will be great for Sam Darcy who he can model his future game on.

A littl’ somthin’ somthin’ back would be nice.

I agree with so few players coming out to request a trade to the club, we need to be seen to working for the result.

azabob
12-10-2022, 02:59 PM
In the final, he looked good in the first half. Less so in the second.

So, no different to the majority of his teamates that night?

Topdog
12-10-2022, 03:07 PM
So, no different to the majority of his teamates that night?

Where is the "Depressed by this post" reaction button?

bornadog
12-10-2022, 03:52 PM
Josh Schache to Melbourne deal is likely to get done late, per
@CalTwomey

hujsh
12-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Josh Schache to Melbourne deal is likely to get done late, per
@CalTwomey

Did Cal actually say that though? I haven't see it from him anywhere just that one tweet with no sources.