St Kilda vs. North Melbourne (Marvel Stadium) at 1:10pm

Collingwood vs. Carlton (MCG) at 3:20pm

Port Adelaide vs. Essendon (Adelaide Oval) at 4:40pm

Eastdog
24-05-2022, 12:25 AM
Bump

BornInDroopSt'54
27-05-2022, 08:33 PM
Waiting until the bounce of the leather and the big men jump.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-05-2022, 08:54 PM
Swans and Tiges equal on the ladder, equal pts and % to second decimal, one game and 10% in front of us.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-05-2022, 09:02 PM
Swans are on, hard at it and have most possessions.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-05-2022, 09:35 PM
Swans are shite.
Errors galore.

Testekill
27-05-2022, 09:40 PM
I find it extremely funny when people act like we missed out on Ladhams, no he's shite and reportedly doesn't work hard on the training track.

bornadog
27-05-2022, 11:43 PM
Swans are shite.
Errors galore.

You were saying?

bornadog
27-05-2022, 11:45 PM
Anyone think there should have been a 50 at the end ????

josie
27-05-2022, 11:46 PM

Yes.

bornadog
27-05-2022, 11:53 PM
Yes.

Although, you can't time waste after the siren, there's no time left to waste.

josie
28-05-2022, 12:00 AM
Although, you can't time waste after the siren, there's no time left to waste.

Hmm, see your point. If same thing were to happen at say end Q1 then presumably same umpire decision would apply, albeit unlikely player would deliberately kick it into crowd at that point in game.

MrMahatma
28-05-2022, 12:09 AM

No way ever. How can you waste time when none left?

Siren went. He celebrated. Everyone relax. Sydney won cause they were ahead when it mattered.

bornadog
28-05-2022, 12:09 AM
Hmm, see your point. If same thing were to happen at say end Q1 then presumably same umpire decision would apply, albeit unlikely player would deliberately kick it into crowd at that point in game.

Unless there is another rule and the umpire didn't use it, but I can't think of any

jeemak
28-05-2022, 12:27 AM
I thought there had been a previous case some time ago where someone was done for time wasting after a siren had gone.

They will just say the player didn't hear the whistle and then that'll be that. The other players heard the whistle, but the one who may have wasted time will be judged not to have and problem solved.

jeemak
28-05-2022, 12:30 AM
Having done a quick read via an internet search, there are possibly no specified limits of when a fifty can be paid. So kicking the ball away is kicking the ball away instead of giving it straight back to the person who has taken the mark or been awarded a free kick even if it is after the siren.

jeemak
28-05-2022, 12:37 AM
Rules located here, page 57:

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/document/2022/03/28/6d92ed7c-efc2-44dc-86bc-9fa1d9b338ad/2022-Laws-of-the-Game-Booklet.pdf

Grantysghost
28-05-2022, 05:00 AM
Having done a quick read via an internet search, there are possibly no specified limits of when a fifty can be paid. So kicking the ball away is kicking the ball away instead of giving it straight back to the person who has taken the mark or been awarded a free kick even if it is after the siren.

It's technically 50 from what I can tell.

Umps adjudication was he didn't know there was a free kick paid from what I've read.

comrade
28-05-2022, 07:46 AM
Buddy is just about the most watchable player to have ever put on the boots. Pure joy when he’s up and about.

Sydney aren’t far away from being Melbourne’s closest flag competition over the next few years. Lots of very good talent across the ground, plenty of attacking options.

GVGjr
28-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Buddy is just about the most watchable player to have ever put on the boots. Pure joy when he’s up and about.

Sydney aren’t far away from being Melbourne’s closest flag competition over the next few years. Lots of very good talent across the ground, plenty of attacking options.

I thought the Swans had screwed themselves over with that huge deal but he is still contributing.
I've really enjoyed watching the Swans play over the last two years. Outside of the dogs, obviously, they are the team I enjoy watching the most at the moment win or lose.

G-Mo77
28-05-2022, 08:59 AM
It's technically 50 from what I can tell.

Umps adjudication was he didn't know there was a free kick paid from what I've read.

Shouldn't matter if he knew or not, sometimes players can't hear a whistle after a free kick, playon and it's a 50. Don't care either way but it is a 50m penalty. It would have been 50 had it been the end of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd quarter, I can almost guarantee that.

Go_Dogs
28-05-2022, 10:45 AM
The Buddy slap of Cotchin looked like Buddy was frustrated by some of the same odd ball work Naughts was getting.

bornadog
28-05-2022, 11:33 AM
Shouldn't matter if he knew or not, sometimes players can't hear a whistle after a free kick, playon and it's a 50. Don't care either way but it is a 50m penalty. It would have been 50 had it been the end of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd quarter, I can almost guarantee that.

What would the 50 be for? It is the end of the game, no time left on the clock so it is not time wasting? Is it for not handing the ball back? That rule is also for time wasting.

I am glad the umpire didn't give a 50, Richmond were outplayed in the second half and Sydney deserved to win

The bulldog tragician
28-05-2022, 11:43 AM
For what its’s worth the twitter account “Has the umpire made a bad decision” run by a former anonymous umpire says it was definitely 50.

The Underdog
28-05-2022, 12:03 PM
What would the 50 be for? It is the end of the game, no time left on the clock so it is not time wasting? Is it for not handing the ball back? That rule is also for time wasting.

I am glad the umpire didn't give a 50, Richmond were outplayed in the second half and Sydney deserved to win

It would be for one of these

(e) has not returned the football directly and on the full to the Player awarded the Mark or Free Kick;
(f) engages in any conduct which delays or impedes the play; or

There’s no specific mention of time, so that’s seemingly irrelevant. The umpire seemed to not pay it claiming that the Swans player couldn’t hear the whistle, but Richmond fans have reason to feel aggrieved. God knows we’d be screaming if it was us.
On the other hand, they could only draw or lose, so it’s not like they were robbed of a win.

jeemak
28-05-2022, 12:10 PM

In your view would it be fifty if a player was in the protected area after the siren? That area's there so a player can play on to keep the ball moving but after the siren it's moot because the player can't play on.

bornadog
28-05-2022, 12:29 PM
It would be for one of these

(e) has not returned the football directly and on the full to the Player awarded the Mark or Free Kick;
(f) engages in any conduct which delays or impedes the play; or

There’s no specific mention of time, so that’s seemingly irrelevant. The umpire seemed to not pay it claiming that the Swans player couldn’t hear the whistle, but Richmond fans have reason to feel aggrieved. God knows we’d be screaming if it was us.
On the other hand, they could only draw or lose, so it’s not like they were robbed of a win.

Those two rules are based on wasting time. There was no time left on the clock

In your view would it be fifty if a player was in the protected area after the siren? That area's there so a player can play on to keep the ball moving but after the siren it's moot because the player can't play on.

Normally the umpire indicates everyone to move away from protected area when the siren goes.

AFL

THE AFL has released a statement ticking off last night's non-50m

"The umpires made the correct call in not applying a 50m penalty against Warner, given the immediacy of the free being paid, the siren sounding & the ball being kicked into the crowd"

The Underdog
28-05-2022, 12:45 PM
Those two rules are based on wasting time. There was no time left on the clock

Yep, but time isn’t mentioned in the rules. Just the infraction. There is nothing specified that this stops after a siren.
Freo had a 50 paid against them against Essendon for not handing the ball back after the siren just recently.

chef
28-05-2022, 01:00 PM
No free for me, thought the umps handled the situation perfectly.

Has there been a better player to watch in full flight than Buddy, not for mine he's such a joy to watch.

Grantysghost
28-05-2022, 01:09 PM

What if it was right on the players limit (goal kicking distance) and an opposition player kicked the ball away which allowed players to get back into a previously empty goal square? Siren has blown in this scenario.

It's 50.

jeemak
28-05-2022, 01:24 PM
Yep, as expected the AFL has the get out of jail free card of essentially claiming the player didn't hear the whistle due to circumstances, but nothing about the technical nature of whether the rules were followed.

It's a bit like the F1 finish to last year. There are rules, but there's flexibility in them depending on the outcome you want/ think is most reasonable. On the last lap of the race, of course.

G-Mo77
28-05-2022, 01:39 PM
They were never going to admit an error, if the ump paid the 50 they would have said correct decision as well.

Happy Days
28-05-2022, 01:53 PM
If they paid that 50 I might have needed a couple of weeks off.

bornadog
28-05-2022, 02:37 PM
If they paid that 50 I might have needed a couple of weeks off.

I hope the Swans player was blasted by Longmire, but then who could blame him

jeemak
28-05-2022, 02:40 PM
I hope the Swans player was blasted by Longmire, but then who could blame him

Why would you blast a player if it was so clear he didn't have a case to answer?

BornInDroopSt'54
28-05-2022, 02:51 PM
Why would you blast a player if it was so clear he didn't have a case to answer?

BAD likes a good blast.

jeemak
28-05-2022, 02:57 PM
BAD likes a good blast.

He's off giving himself one for having been caught in a trap of logic.

bornadog
28-05-2022, 02:59 PM

Could have gone anyway according to all the scribes.I guess it is never over till the umpire says it is

EasternWest
28-05-2022, 03:28 PM
Looks like a fair old shootout at the Gabba. 37-49 at quarter time.

Grantysghost
28-05-2022, 06:30 PM
Just give the cup to Melbourne now.

MrMahatma
28-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Just give the cup to Melbourne now.

Nah.

Minor prem… sure. Cup? There’s always the choke possibly. And also, we’re not to be discounted!

bornadog
28-05-2022, 06:37 PM
Nah.

Minor prem… sure. Cup? There’s always the choke possibly. And also, we’re not to be discounted!

Anything can happen, especially if a couple of important players get injured.

Grantysghost
28-05-2022, 06:46 PM
Nah.

11 in a row and they’ve hardly broken a sweat.

Going into AFL administration has its advantages hey! They couldn’t get their GWS or Suns up but they’ve nailed it with their Naan bread.

jeemak
28-05-2022, 07:22 PM
They are in a bit of strife at the moment.

Need to settle and wrestle some momentum back.

GVGjr
28-05-2022, 07:28 PM

It will be interesting to see how they respond in the last quarter. I still think they'll win but I would love to see them come back to the field just a bit

DOG GOD
28-05-2022, 07:31 PM
Makes a difference when May is off the ground and Petracca has only 9 disposals.

jeemak
28-05-2022, 07:31 PM
That's amazing awareness and team oriented work from Frederick. Awesome team goal to put them to sixteen up.

GVGjr
28-05-2022, 07:32 PM
That late goal to Freo will really put the pressure back on them

Grantysghost
28-05-2022, 07:36 PM

I’m taking all the credit for this ! The kiss of death is back !

Amazing how running forward EVERY time comes unstuck against a structured defence.

MrMahatma
28-05-2022, 07:37 PM
Really, for our finals positioning we prob want Melb to win. But… nah… go Dockers!

GVGjr
28-05-2022, 07:40 PM
I find this sort of game intriguing, if Fremantle gets the first goal does Melbourne think the streak is over or will they dig in and turn up their effort?
Equally if they get the first goal does their self belief inspire them to keep pushing.

Longmuir is a very good coach, I'm going to watch the last quarter closely.

Grantysghost
28-05-2022, 07:42 PM
I find this sort of game intriguing, if Fremantle gets the first goal does Melbourne think the streak is over or will they dig in and turn up their effort?
Equally if they get the first goal does their self belief inspire them to keep pushing.

Longmuir is a very good coach, I'm going to watch the last quarter closely.

Agree Longmuir is fantastic.

Defensive structures win games.

What did the Saints get in return for Acres was that part of the Hill trade? He’s become a very good player.

The Underdog
28-05-2022, 07:52 PM
It's a better result for us if Freo lose. I also fully want them to win.

jeemak
28-05-2022, 07:52 PM
Massive, out to 23 points.

Everyone has a bad day and there's more weeks left in the regular season than have already gone. Plenty to happen yet no matter whether they drop one or they don't.

bornadog
28-05-2022, 07:55 PM
Freo are the real deal, Melbourne, well as I said they have had a dream run of no injuries and look what happens

bornadog
28-05-2022, 07:58 PM
So far Melbourne have kicked one goal in the second half

Grantysghost
28-05-2022, 07:58 PM
Freo are the real deal, Melbourne, well as I said they have had a dream run of no injuries and look what happens
11 goals to 1 second half.

Theres a huge trend of unstoppable run ons atm I believe due to all the new rules.

bornadog
28-05-2022, 07:59 PM
11 goals to 1 second half.

Theres a huge trend of unstoppable run ons atm I believe due to all the new rules.

No way rules play a part

SquirrelGrip
28-05-2022, 08:00 PM
This is so good!

Grantysghost
28-05-2022, 08:05 PM
This is so good!
It is nice.

They’ve started sniffing their own exhaust fumes that’s for sure.

President saying they haven’t won a flag until they win one on the G!

Wearing our colours and ffs of all things changing their name. Did you know Garry Lyon is the former captain of fkn Naarm!?

azabob
28-05-2022, 08:22 PM
Yep, as expected the AFL has the get out of jail free card of essentially claiming the player didn't hear the whistle due to circumstances, but nothing about the technical nature of whether the rules were followed.

It's a bit like the F1 finish to last year. There are rules, but there's flexibility in them depending on the outcome you want/ think is most reasonable. On the last lap of the race, of course.

Look, it was Lewis Hamilton so the outcome is ok.

azabob
29-05-2022, 05:25 PM
Compare the pair.
DeGoey or Stringer - who is the most overrated?

MrMahatma
29-05-2022, 06:10 PM
Compare the pair.
DeGoey or Stringer - who is the most overrated?

Stringer

MrMahatma
29-05-2022, 06:11 PM
Would love a pies win here. Neither team look clinical. I still don’t rate the Blues. That loss pisses me right off.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-05-2022, 06:48 PM
Pies win.

whythelongface
29-05-2022, 07:04 PM
Pies win.

Yay. Carlton have a soft underbelly

1eyedog
30-05-2022, 12:28 AM
No free for me, thought the umps handled the situation perfectly.

Has there been a better player to watch in full flight than Buddy, not for mine he's such a joy to watch.

Ablett Snr. 50 every day of the week. Go Pies!

mjp
30-05-2022, 08:46 AM
Ablett Snr. 50 every day of the week. Go Pies!

I still don't understand why it's 50?

Players kick the ball 'on' after free-kicks all the time and I swear 9/10 times there is no 50m penalty as 'he didn't hear the whistle' or whatever...in this case, you have a kid kicking it into the stands because he heard the siren...

Sour grapes. It isn't 50m. And if it was, it would have sucked. Great game.

jeemak
30-05-2022, 11:07 AM
Yes, it's fifty unless the player is adjudged to have not heard the whistle. It turns out that's what the AFL is saying was the case, so discretion was used.

merantau
31-05-2022, 06:51 AM
On the Freo win a couple of things to note. Injuries to key defenders had an impact. Oliver was tagged in the second half. Petraca was ineffectual and Freo dominated the clearances in the second half. They played a very smart game down back maintaining a tight defensive structure so that when Melbourne did surge forward they still had a lot to contend with.
If you bring the pressure opponents inevitably make mistakes. Freo moved the ball very quickly when the opportunity was there. They also played tempo footy when the game was in their keeping. They are a very good side.

bornadog
31-05-2022, 10:41 AM
We really need to consider doing the same when we play them

“WHY HAS IT TAKEN SO LONG…?”: THE MOVE MADE BY FREO THAT HELPED DISMANTLE THE DEMONS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/30/why-has-it-taken-so-long-the-move-made-by-freo-that-helped-dismantle-the/)

A masterful move from Justin Longmuir was behind limiting one of Melbourne’s biggest assets on Saturday at the MCG as the Dockers stormed to victory.

25 points down at half-time, James Aish was handed the job of tagging midfield beast Clayton Oliver.

Oliver had 24 disposals and four inside 50s to his name at the main break, but Aish’s job on him played a big part in the win.

Oliver and Aish had 12 disposals each in the second half, the Docker winning four clearances to have the better of Melbourne’s gun midfielder in the second half as Fremantle recorded a 38-point triumph.

It has left veteran AFL recruiter Matt Rendell questioning why it’s taken so long for teams to tag Oliver.

The 24-year-old has not copped a noticeable tag in 2022, his quietest outing of 19 disposals against Port Adelaide in Round 4 of his own doing.

“Fremantle has caused all sorts of havoc… why has it taken so long for someone to tag Oliver?” Rendell asked on SEN’s The Sporting Capital.

“It just staggers me this doesn’t happen week in, week out.

“Aish did a super job, I don’t reckon he would have tagged anyone before in his life and he was magnificent on him.

“Took him right out of the game and you take out (Christian) Petracca – he was crook – but you take him and Oliver out of their (Melbourne's) game and they come back to the field a bit and you’ve got to move that ball quickly, especially with Steven May out.

“You can’t go slow, and that’s what they did. They managed to control clearances, you can get it in quick when you control that.”

Petracca also had an uncharacteristically quiet game, finishing with just 10 touches.

Oliver is averaging 34.2 disposals, 8.4 clearances and 6.5 inside 50s in 2022, career-highs in all key facets of the game.

jeemak
31-05-2022, 01:03 PM
Nah we just back ourselves and make sure we bring our best game up against whoever we play.............sigh.

merantau
31-05-2022, 08:34 PM
I would like to see Bailey Smith add another string to his bow. He has has the pace and the tank to go with him all day. Additionally he is as strong as an ox and has a bit of mongrel in him. I think he would relish the challenge.

Testekill
01-06-2022, 10:10 AM
Rhylee West isn't exactly a speedster but he seems moderately quick and he's pretty physical, could he be an option to run with?

GVGjr
04-06-2022, 07:40 PM
I know they're only playing North but the Suns are going along OK, not a bad team to watch

jeemak
04-06-2022, 09:42 PM
Good game going on at the G. Gutsy from the Sydney guys without Franklin getting back into it and taking the lead after being a few down.

bornadog
04-06-2022, 09:56 PM
Good game going on at the G. Gutsy from the Sydney guys without Franklin getting back into it and taking the lead after being a few down.

Pretty good game going on this week as well.

Refer this thread https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?21701-AFL-Game-Day-R12-2022