PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned round six 2022 v Adelaide

Twodogs
22-04-2022, 09:50 PM
Go for it, three things you know now that you didn't know before.

GVGjr
23-04-2022, 04:40 PM
Bump

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2022, 05:21 PM
1. Bevo and this is done. Break it up.

2. The list management team needs to be held accountable.

3. English is a must sign now.

Bulldog4life
23-04-2022, 05:26 PM
1. Ruckman O'Brien killed us.

2. Adelaide deserved their win.

3. Caleb will have nightmares over that kick.

Happy Days
23-04-2022, 05:29 PM
1. Good things happen to bad people.

2. In 2022, Cordy is a legitimately better ruckman than Martin.

3. Ben Keays is better than any midfielder currently on our list.

Bulldog4life
23-04-2022, 05:34 PM

Yep Stef is cooked but tried hard. Best footy ended 4 to 5 years ago. Agree with the bad people mention Happy. He is a pr!#k.

Mantis
23-04-2022, 05:41 PM
Yep Stef is cooked but tried hard. Best footy ended 4 to 5 years ago. Agree with the bad people mention Happy. He is a pr!#k.

If I was getting $250k + a year I’d try too….. it’s *!*!*!*!ing embarrassing he is on our list.

Grantysghost
23-04-2022, 05:43 PM
If I was getting $250k + a year I’d true too….. it’s *!*!*!*!ing embarrassing he is on our list.

Agree, love the guy but he'd struggle to get a game in the VFL.

Bulldog4life
23-04-2022, 05:57 PM
Agree, love the guy but he'd struggle to get a game in the VFL.

The one thing he has helped with is his coaching of our rucks. Tim has improved immeasurably. O'Brien monstered Martin. Had 49 hit outs.

Mantis
23-04-2022, 06:12 PM
The one thing he has helped with is his coaching of our rucks. Tim has improved immeasurably. O'Brien monstered Martin. Had 49 hit outs.

Has Tim’s ruck craft actually improved?

He is influencing games with his ‘following’ work rather than tap work.

Bulldog4life
23-04-2022, 06:22 PM
Has Tim’s ruck craft actually improved?

He is influencing games with his ‘following’ work rather than tap work.

Just going by what I can see on tv plus his stats so yes his ruck work has improved.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2022, 06:30 PM
1) We don't have the depth to cover injuries

2) We miss Bruce more than we ever could imagine. 48 goals in 20 games last year. Naughton was too easily outmarked today. Bruce is big experienced body who crashes and bashes packs. We are missing his prescence.

3) Play Bont in the middle with small stints up forward. Not the other way around.

Mantis
23-04-2022, 06:31 PM
Just going by what I can see on tv plus his stats so yes his ruck work has improved.

What stats in particular?

bornadog
23-04-2022, 06:42 PM

Hey you are supposed to be watching this at 7.30?

Bulldog4life
23-04-2022, 06:43 PM
What stats in particular?

Hit outs averaging 22 for 2022. Haven't got his figures for 2021 but confident it is an improvement.

Can't find all his stats maybe someone else can.

bornadog
23-04-2022, 06:45 PM
Hit outs averaging 22 for 2022. Haven't got his figures for 2021 but confident it is an improvement.

16 over previous two years, but that is over more games.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2022, 06:45 PM

Yes. Averaged 15.5 in 2021. Big improvement. But he did play big stints up forward and not in the ruck last season.

jeemak
23-04-2022, 06:48 PM

It's hard to tell as he played a lot forward last year and in 2020 the games were shorter.

His career average is seventeen:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6345&pid2=6345&fid1=S&fid2=C

chef
23-04-2022, 06:49 PM
1. We are officially pretty shit.
2. We arent playing finals
3. Something is not right at the club and if we arent careful a few good players might want out

bornadog
23-04-2022, 06:50 PM
It's hard to tell as he played a lot forward last year and in 2020 the games were shorter.

His career average is seventeen:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6345&pid2=6345&fid1=S&fid2=C

You can see his tap outs and taps to advantage have improved in 2022 - don't need stats :)

jeemak
23-04-2022, 07:20 PM
You can see his tap outs and taps to advantage have improved in 2022 - don't need stats :)

I just provided them for ol' man B4L! Didn't say whether they were relevant.

bornadog
23-04-2022, 07:21 PM
I just provided them for ol' man B4L! Didn't say whether they were relevant.

Hey Jee, I mean watching him live, I can see he is winning more tap outs.

Happy Days
23-04-2022, 07:23 PM
Hey you are supposed to be watching this at 7.30?

I wrapped up what I was doing by half time so only really missed the second quarter. Lucky me.

Mantis
23-04-2022, 07:25 PM

How many are his opponents averaging?

Yep, he’s number have improved, but his ruck minutes have gone up pretty dramatically so you’d sort of expect them to.

HOSE B ROMERO
23-04-2022, 07:32 PM
1. The Ground announcer at Ballarat is just as f**** annoying as the one at Docklands.

2. Quite nice pies and they take cash.

3. Ballarat is quite nice in Autumn. If you haven't tried it, give it a go.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2022, 07:50 PM
1. The Ground announcer at Ballarat is just as f**** annoying as the one at Docklands.

2. Quite nice pies and they take cash.

3. Ballarat is quite nice in Autumn. If you haven't tried it, give it a go.

How were the logistics this year? Was it easier to get into the ground? Last year with the COVID protocols there were long lines which was dissapointing.

Dancin' Douggy
23-04-2022, 08:15 PM
1. Our only decent Ruckman is out, so we spend ALL DAY kicking the ball to THEIR ruckman. ALL...... EFFING...... DAY.
With the same result. Ball comes back into their forward line. I can only conclude from that, that we are dumb, and we have no decent strategy, or game plan A, or B, or C.

2. We play like a bunch of individual heroes trying to stitch consecutive heroic moments together into a tapestry of glory. Adelaide played like a team and we should have really lost by a lot more.

3. My frustration and anger with our recruiting staff just grows and grows. (not drafting, drafting is great) It was as obvious as nuts on a bull that our season would be over with injuries to Keath or English and now they're BOTH injured and.........well, our season is over I believe. Zaine tries his heart out, I'm not gonna criticise him. Martin is so...... so cooked. He is char grilled, slow baked, triple fried, marinated, roasted, toasted, dipped in batter and deep fried, air fried, sun dried, parboiled, corned, salted, bottled and DONE!!! People say the recruiting staff 'tried' to get replacements. You don't get paid to TRY at this level. Every one with at least half a functioning brain cell knew we needed Key defender back up and ruck back up. Every drooling inbred expert that rang SEN knew. Every hack writing blogs and pre season analysis pieces knew. And WE knew it, we knew it the year before too........ Maybe cost us a flag. Might cost us a potential dynasty. That was one of the worst games of football I've ever sat through.

Grantysghost
23-04-2022, 08:28 PM
How were the logistics this year? Was it easier to get into the ground? Last year with the COVID protocols there were long lines which was dissapointing.

Really good AP, I arrived about 20 mins prior to kick off and walked straight in. No queues out the front like last season.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2022, 09:03 PM
Really good AP, I arrived about 20 mins prior to kick off and walked straight in. No queues out the front like last season.

Thanks. Excellent news. I have been a number of times and have always had a great day out with the family. Will definitely go again. Just left my run a little late this year and around 10 days out I could not get four seats in a row.

KT31
23-04-2022, 11:25 PM
1. Our only decent Ruckman is out, so we spend ALL DAY kicking the ball to THEIR ruckman. ALL...... EFFING...... DAY.
With the same result. Ball comes back into their forward line. I can only conclude from that, that we are dumb, and we have no decent strategy, or game plan A, or B, or C.

2. We play like a bunch of individual heroes trying to stitch consecutive heroic moments together into a tapestry of glory. Adelaide played like a team and we should have really lost by a lot more.

3. My frustration and anger with our recruiting staff just grows and grows. (not drafting, drafting is great) It was as obvious as nuts on a bull that our season would be over with injuries to Keath or English and now they're BOTH injured and.........well, our season is over I believe. Zaine tries his heart out, I'm not gonna criticise him. Martin is so...... so cooked. He is char grilled, slow baked, triple fried, marinated, roasted, toasted, dipped in batter and deep fried, air fried, sun dried, parboiled, corned, salted, bottled and DONE!!! People say the recruiting staff 'tried' to get replacements. You don't get paid to TRY at this level. Every one with at least half a functioning brain cell knew we needed Key defender back up and ruck back up. Every drooling inbred expert that rang SEN knew. Every hack writing blogs and pre season analysis pieces knew. And WE knew it, we knew it the year before too........ Maybe cost us a flag. Might cost us a potential dynasty. That was one of the worst games of football I've ever sat through.

You summed up my feelings perfectly D&D

The Bulldogs Bite
24-04-2022, 12:27 AM
People say the recruiting staff 'tried' to get replacements. You don't get paid to TRY at this level.

It's a quote worth highlighting.

It's a tough gig, but how do you keep your job if you haven't fulfilled your role? If we have been unable to attract a KPD or Ruck after being the second best side all year/making a GF, that's a concern.

The AFL is far too forgiving of an industry in reality. People get paid to underperform all the time. Most other sports around the world are far more 'brutal', but I agree with you - we shouldn't be paying for 'attempting'. If you can't get it done, move on.

DOG GOD
24-04-2022, 12:36 AM
1. English out is a massive out.
2. We aren’t playing finals
3. Start of the year I predicted a 11-11 finish. We won’t make double figures in the wins column.

angelopetraglia
24-04-2022, 01:00 AM

It's a tough gig, but how do you keep your job if you haven't fulfilled your role? If we have been unable to attract a KPD or Ruck after being the second best side all year/making a GF, that's a concern.

The AFL is far too forgiving of an industry in reality. People get paid to underperform all the time. Most other sports around the world are far more 'brutal', but I agree with you - we shouldn't be paying for 'attempting'. If you can't get it done, move on.

18 teams with only a population of 25m where only half the country are really interested in the sport. We don't have the depth of world football, basketball or other sports. If we started getting rid of every player who "underperformed" in the AFL there would 500+ players looking for a new job. The reason there isn't ... they are difficult or nigh on impossible to replace. In reality about ~80 new players join a list every year (via draft, rookie etc.). Therefore only the bottom 10% can lose their job.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-04-2022, 01:13 AM
18 teams with only a population of 25m where only half the country are really interested in the sport. We don't have the depth of world football, basketball or other sports. If we started getting rid of every player who "underperformed" in the AFL there would 500+ players looking for a new job. The reason there isn't ... they are difficult or nigh on impossible to replace. In reality about ~80 new players join a list every year (via draft, rookie etc.). Therefore only the bottom 10% can lose their job.

I agree and it's why I hate we brought 2 new teams into the competition, but in this context we aren't talking about players. We're talking about list managers, and if they are attempting to fix our weaknesses but arent able to get it done, why keep them?

jeemak
24-04-2022, 03:46 AM
Getting players of quality in to add depth in key positions is easier said than done.

We have a salary cap squeeze that will likely be eased with players leaving the club at the end of the year, hopefully it'll mean we can fix our structural issues through recruitment of mature age/ ready to go depth.

It's going to be a bit painful losing the likes of Dunkley or whoever else, however, if it happens we need to make sure we can offset the losses with improvements to the structural components of our list that are lacking.

AshMac
24-04-2022, 06:06 AM
1. Too many “premium” mids, not enough KPP’s
2. There is something stale or rotten at the club behind the scenes - can’t tell which
3. Disgusting football all around. After 3 years we still can’t figure out a way through an extra man behind the ball. Pathetic coaching

Bulldog4life
24-04-2022, 11:50 AM
How many are his opponents averaging?

Yep, he’s number have improved, but his ruck minutes have gone up pretty dramatically so you’d sort of expect them to.

He was a bloody big loss against Adelaide that was my point. No need to nit pick Mantis.

Bullies
24-04-2022, 12:44 PM
3. Something is not right at the club and if we arent careful a few good players might want out Agree Chef. After Round 3 I said the mail was a few players were waiting to see who is coaching the club before signing on. I stand by it and it is starting to show on the field.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 12:50 PM
3. Something is not right at the club and if we arent careful a few good players might want out

Is Bevo a good coach strategically or a good motivator of people.
Because it appears the motivation has lost it's way and there's not much happening on the strategy front.
Apparently we'd worked all pre season on stopping the midfield issues defensively and all I've seen is less Bont and Libba and moving 5 metres back off the mark.

Genius!

bornadog
24-04-2022, 03:52 PM
1. We need a rethink on our smaller players - Half backs and Half forwards - the bottom six are not giving us enough.

2. The Bont needs to be exclusively a mid - he is the best in the business and is wasted up forward.

3. VFL - West, Kharmis, Sweet need to be given a chance at some stage to see what they can do.

HOSE B ROMERO
24-04-2022, 05:37 PM

It was better. We got there a bit earlier, about an hour before the match so we could practically walk straight in. They make a real effort there. There was even a bloke with a pump pack of sunscreen going through the crowd!

AshMac
24-04-2022, 06:01 PM
Agree Chef. After Round 3 I said the mail was a few players were waiting to see who is coaching the club before signing on. I stand by it and it is starting to show on the field.

Reliable source on the mail on coaching next year or dogs sisters Aunty?

AshMac
24-04-2022, 06:03 PM
Is Bevo a good coach strategically or a good motivator of people.
Because it appears the motivation has lost it's way and there's not much happening on the strategy front.
Apparently we'd worked all pre season on stopping the midfield issues defensively and all I've seen is less Bont and Libba and moving 5 metres back off the mark.

Genius!

I don’t think he is either anymore tbh. Started as a fantastic motivator - took the competition by storm with a hard running numbers at the ball style early,

Now it looks like the players are lost and the our ability to adapt in match is non existent (never has existed under Bevo tbh)

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 06:05 PM
Reliable source on the mail on coaching next year or dogs sisters Aunty?

Latter

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 06:06 PM
I don’t think he is either anymore tbh. Started as a fantastic motivator - took the competition by storm with a hard running numbers at the ball style early,

Now it looks like the players are lost and the our ability to adapt in match is non existent (never has existed under Bevo tbh)

He looks absolutely spent. One of the all time greats of the club and deserves a statue.
But I really think he's in the Stef Martin camp of cooked.

The writing was on the wall when Matt Spangher was brought in with 0 experience.

AshMac
24-04-2022, 06:30 PM
He looks absolutely spent. One of the all time greats of the club and deserves a statue.
But I really think he's in the Stef Martin camp of cooked.

The writing was on the wall when Matt Spangher was brought in with 0 experience.

Don’t think he is cooked. Reckon he’ll go to another club and be successful there.

I have it from an extremely reliable source that he is impossible to work with in the coaches box - it’s his way or the highway. Nobody succeeds all by themselves long term - nobody. I was praying Clarko would do a year assistant coaching with us - I know I was dreaming but he seems about the only bloke that might be able to cut through.

I also reckon from a distance his ego is enormous and he is too stubborn to admit his gameplay is shut rather than being unaware.

bornadog
24-04-2022, 06:33 PM
Don’t think he is cooked. Reckon he’ll go to another club and be successful there.

I have it from an extremely reliable source that he is impossible to work with in the coaches box - it’s his way or the highway. Nobody succeeds all by themselves long term - nobody. I was praying Clarko would do a year assistant coaching with us - I know I was dreaming but he seems about the only bloke that might be able to cut through.

I also reckon from a distance his ego is enormous and he is too stubborn to admit his gameplay is shut rather than being unaware.

Reliable source that has an axe to grind?

Sorry I call BS. If he was hard to work with why would all those assistants work with him for so long? Two senior coaches stayed from 2015 to 2021.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 07:05 PM
Reliable source that has an axe to grind?

Sorry I call BS. If he was hard to work with why would all those assistants work with him for so long? Two senior coaches stayed from 2015 to 2021.

Yes I agree I think it's more to do with how much emotional energy he spends as a manager.

He looks like he's got nothing left in the bank.

bornadog
24-04-2022, 07:15 PM
Yes I agree I think it's more to do with how much emotional energy he spends as a manager.

Can't agree. We don't know, so why speculate.

EasternWest
24-04-2022, 07:20 PM

Because this is a fan forum and we speculate on just about everything?

BornInDroopSt'54
24-04-2022, 07:27 PM
1. J.J. Keath and Bruce are needed back.
2. Listening on ABC radio, Adelaide dominated.
3. Recruitment needed.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 07:28 PM

It's OK to say something BAD :)

You must be pretty conservative politically you're not a fan of change xD

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 07:29 PM
Because this is a fan forum and we speculate on just about everything?

That moustache is a cry for help right?

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 07:39 PM

Based on body language I think he's down on his previous energy levels but he has plenty in the bank.
We've had a tough week but we still have plenty to motivate us. We know he's an invested type, lets give him some time to see how we respond.

bornadog
24-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Based on body language I think he's down on his previous energy levels but he has plenty in the bank.
We've had a tough week but we still have plenty to motivate us. We know he's an invested type, lets give him some time to see how we respond.

The Wallis family tragedy, Varcoe's mum would have been devastating for Bevo and the club. No wonder he was down.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 08:01 PM

He's my all time fav coach but to me all the signs point to him being buggered.
Might just be for this season. That members message was hard to watch. Why doesn't he get an assistant to do some?

bornadog
24-04-2022, 08:01 PM
It's OK to say something BAD :)

You must be pretty conservative politically you're not a fan of change xD

Me conservative, you really don't know me :)

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 08:02 PM
The Wallis family tragedy, Varcoe's mum would have been devastating for Bevo and the club. No wonder he was down.

Awful.

I think it's been apparent prior to that also though.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 08:03 PM
Me conservative, you really don't know me :)

I do, was trying to be funny. See I keep failing!

bornadog
24-04-2022, 08:04 PM
I do, was trying to be funny. See I keep failing!

No probs.

MrMahatma
24-04-2022, 08:55 PM

With salary cap plus draft picks allocated to JUH and Darcy, where was the currency available to get it done? I guess we could’ve traded blokes out. Who? (I know…. Dunkley right?)

In the last 2 years we’ve brought in Treloar (gun… we had to do that deal), JUH, Darcy, OBrien. For mine, all make us better. Trading a decent ruck in would be hard in that period due to currency. Drafting a speculative one from state league would’ve prob been our best bet.

Swoop
24-04-2022, 09:00 PM
Did we HAVE to do the Treloar deal? I like him and I agree that he's a gun but did we need him? Could we have used that money elsewhere?

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 09:26 PM
Did we HAVE to do the Treloar deal? I like him and I agree that he's a gun but did we need him? Could we have used that money elsewhere?

It's a good question, so much was riding seeing off the Dunkley wish to leave and acquiring points for JUH I think it caught many by surprise that Treloar went from a back-up option to an additional mid without quite thinking of where all the pieces would land.

The thing is that Treloar has a point of difference over many others in our midfield rotation with his pace. He and Smith have really added a fair bit. Ideally we need to move Macrae to a wing and modify Dunkley to have a bit more of a defensive mindset.
How much more can we rely on Liberatore?

Danjul
24-04-2022, 09:48 PM
With salary cap plus draft picks allocated to JUH and Darcy, where was the currency available to get it done? I guess we could’ve traded blokes out. Who? (I know…. Dunkley right?)

In the last 2 years we’ve brought in Treloar (gun… we had to do that deal), JUH, Darcy, OBrien. For mine, all make us better. Trading a decent ruck in would be hard in that period due to currency. Drafting a speculative one from state league would’ve prob been our best bet.
We did that with Sweet. He looked ok in the vfl getting many hitouts and kicking a few goals. Tried In the firsts, was ok and had a good game against the Saints last year. His stats in that game were similar to English at the time. Met Gawn the next week and that was it. Since then the ruck situation has cost the dogs half a dozen games.

Cordy got 7 disposals and 7 hitouts. Everyone is thrilled that he has graduated to this level. No way we would accept that performance from Sweet. What if he doubled it? Still no.

Sweet is another Schache or Young. By the way how is Young going? I looked it up. 19 disposals, 9 marks and a goal. Double O’Brien’s return. Not bad in a losing team. We might have won with him in the team on the weekend, and I saw him play well in Ballarat previously (I think).

We specialise in carrying passengers and saying it’s important that they can learn in the firsts. It is the same false logic that has players in the wrong positions. What is Cordy’s best position? Third key defender. If he had been there instead of the ruck, and Williams had been on a wing instead of…. we would have won easily on Saturday.

Our recent losses are not bad luck or unavoidable. They have been manufactured. That’s how I see it.

MrMahatma
24-04-2022, 10:14 PM

Given the Pies are paying a chunk, and I (my opinion) think he’s an A-Grader, then you do that deal. More high end talent on your list is a positive. So I say we “had” to do it cause you’d be crazy not to. Like taking JUH or Darcy, we didn’t “have” to do them. But would you not?

bornadog
24-04-2022, 10:20 PM

A player like Treloar drops into your lap do you say no? Crazy if you do.

soupman
25-04-2022, 09:53 AM
Treloar was an awesome piece of unnecessary business. Does he make a difference? Of course. But the opportunity cost of getting him arguably makes a bigger difference.

When it became apparent we were going to get him we should have moved Dunkley for a first and a second (happy to give a pick back). Doesnt matter if we were getting slight unders for him considering we were getting Treloar for massive unders.

bornadog
25-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Treloar was an awesome piece of unnecessary business. Does he make a difference? Of course. But the opportunity cost of getting him arguably makes a bigger difference.

When it became apparent we were going to get him we should have moved Dunkley for a first and a second (happy to give a pick back). Doesnt matter if we were getting slight unders for him considering we were getting Treloar for massive unders.

Also a big risk. Do you give up a player at age 24, who is worth a first and second rounder to get two players that may or may not be good enough? I prefer to stick with the known quality.

GVGjr
25-04-2022, 11:02 AM
Also a big risk. Do you give up a player at age 24, who is worth a first and second rounder to get two players that may or may not be good enough? I prefer to stick with the known quality.

It all comes down to if you think your in a rebuild phase and that the wider playing list needs to be kick started.
It was a decent offer but like you I'm glad we held firm.

angelopetraglia
25-04-2022, 11:28 AM

On a day where we have no easy path to goals, Treloar kicks two goals. Not only two goals, but both which any other player on our list would probably struggle to convert. A nice piece of craft in tight space from the boundary for one goal. Another classic Treloar burst goal on the run from 50m. He is worth the price for what we did to get him. He aint the issue.

From 23 games for the Dogs he has 19 goals. Nearly a goal a game is a good going for a mid.

1eyedog
25-04-2022, 11:30 AM
On a day where we have no easy path to goals, Treloar kicks two goals. Not only two goals, but both which any other player on our list would probably struggle to convert. A nice piece of craft in tight space from the boundary for one goal. Another classic Treloar burst goal on the run from 50m. He is worth the price for what we did to get him. He aint the issue.

100% Treloar has been sensational this season.

soupman
25-04-2022, 12:00 PM

From 23 games for the Dogs he has 19 goals. Nearly a goal a game is a good going for a mid.

I like Treloar.

Just saying in hindsight getting him should've meant losing Dunkley, not keeping both.

I know we made the Grand Final and all but seeing as we didn't win it makes it much easier to pick apart where we went wrong.

jeemak
25-04-2022, 02:43 PM
If only someone had the foresight to suggest a trade for Dunkley at the time.

azabob
25-04-2022, 02:58 PM
If only someone had the foresight to suggest a trade for Dunkley at the time.

It now seems fairly obvious, a bit like having a contract thread for a quick reference guide.

Hindsight and all that.

jeemak
25-04-2022, 11:45 PM
It now seems fairly obvious, a bit like having a contract thread for a quick reference guide.

Hindsight and all that.

One of the reasons why I wanted to trade him was to bring in something different to the midfield, and interestingly if we had have let him go we would possibly still have had Treloar fall into our laps anyway.

What does our midfield look like with Treloar and another zippier mid playing there/ on the wing, and possibly Lipinski providing some inside flexibility? What else could we have picked up to help in the ruck or in defence?

Could be a genuine sliding doors outcome.

soupman
25-04-2022, 11:50 PM
One of the reasons why I wanted to trade him was to bring in something different to the midfield, and interestingly if we had have let him go we would possibly still have had Treloar fall into our laps anyway.

What does our midfield look like with Treloar and another zippier mid playing there/ on the wing, and possibly Lipinski providing some inside flexibility? What else could we have picked up to help in the ruck or in defence?

Could be a genuine sliding doors outcome.

Thats kind of what I was trying to get at.

Once it was clear we had secured Treloar (I know it happened on the last 30 seconds but surely we could've made it happen earlier) we should've moved Dunkley on.

It would've meant a relatively minor downgrade in the middle, would have given us the draft capital to add some more varied talent to our list and/or allowed us to better try and address our actual weaknesses without only having to try and pry out fringe types and offer them no money.

Grantysghost
25-04-2022, 11:51 PM
Thats kind of what I was trying to get at.

Once it was clear we had secured Treloar (I know it happened on the last 30 seconds but surely we could've made it happen earlier) we should've moved Dunkley on.

It would've meant a relatively minor downgrade in the middle, would have given us the draft capital to add some more varied talent to our list and/or allowed us to better try and address our actual weaknesses without only having to try and pry out fringe types and offer them no money.

Do you want to trade a young mid though you've put so much time into?

I think we are a draft and develop club, keep Dunkley ignore Treloar. Hey it rhymes!

To me we need a very clear direction. We are simply not a team players will come to via trade. Accept it and work with what we can.

Our defence is under manned. We need to be at full tilt more than most to cover this.

So recruitment wise, 1 x KPD 1 x intercept defender has to be above all else next draft.

Then we look balanced.

jeemak
26-04-2022, 01:27 AM
In Darcy we have drafted a player who was touted as being a key defender, but he then went forward and kicked six in a game for Victoria.

The miss on Kieran Collins is a real shame, he'd be prime age now. Sam Collins was taken in the same draft and would be playing for us if he was on our list.

Mantis
26-04-2022, 10:19 AM
In Darcy we have drafted a player who was touted as being a key defender, but he then went forward and kicked six in a game for Victoria.

The miss on Kieran Collins is a real shame, he'd be prime age now. Sam Collins was taken in the same draft and would be playing for us if he was on our list.

The miss on Tom Boyd is bigger, like he won us a GF, but he'd be in his prime now.... Him swapping with English wouldn't be such a bad thing.

jeemak
26-04-2022, 11:57 AM
The miss on Tom Boyd is bigger, like he won us a GF, but he'd be in his prime now.... Him swapping with English wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I still have dreams of him coming back........

Happy Days
26-04-2022, 11:58 AM
Boyd played like 3 good games ever. The idea of him is far better than the reality.

jeemak
26-04-2022, 12:09 PM
Boyd played like 3 good games ever. The idea of him is far better than the reality.

Two of them just happened to be the most important games the club's ever played.........

soupman
26-04-2022, 12:13 PM
Yeah realistically Boyd was pretty terrible. If it wasn't for the Premiership which made his contract and trade completely worth it then it would go down as one of the worst trades of all time, if not the worst? I am very happy he is no longer on our list, albeit for less than ideal reasons.

Seems like a nice guy though and his podcast with McGinley is one of the better footy ones I've listened to.

bornadog
26-04-2022, 12:16 PM
Yeah realistically Boyd was pretty terrible. If it wasn't for the Premiership which made his contract and trade completely worth it then it would go down as one of the worst trades of all time, if not the worst? I am very happy he is no longer on our list, albeit for less than ideal reasons.

Seems like a nice guy though and his podcast with McGinley is one of the better footy ones I've listened to.

Tom was a baby when he played for us. He is now 26 and would have started to mature in the last year or two and getting to his peak, just like English who was written off by many at the age of 22/23.

The big guys (well 90% ) take time to mature, and Tom had the talent but was just getting going when he retired.

soupman
26-04-2022, 12:24 PM
Tom was a baby when he played for us. He is now 26 and would have started to mature in the last year or two and getting to his peak, just like English who was written off by many at the age of 22/23.

The big guys (well 90% ) take time to mature, and Tom had the talent but was just getting going when he retired.

Just getting going as a mediocre ruck.

He may've turned the corner at some stage, but he never really looked like he was going to put it all together.

Was mediocre in the ruck, and not particularly strong around the ground, was on track to be an Ivan Soldo style ruck.

Never showed the mobility or aerial dominance he needed to be a key forward. Frequently underran it, had a terrible marking technique, and was very poor in live play with the ball at ground level unless he was just picking it up and hoofing it or giving a quick handball.

Considering the only position we had made work for him was that ruck role, and we never showed any indication we were trying to push him forward again, I think the point stands that not having a $900K Ivan Soldo on the list is probably for the best.

bornadog
26-04-2022, 01:59 PM
Just getting going as a mediocre ruck.

He may've turned the corner at some stage, but he never really looked like he was going to put it all together.

Was mediocre in the ruck, and not particularly strong around the ground, was on track to be an Ivan Soldo style ruck.

Never showed the mobility or aerial dominance he needed to be a key forward. Frequently underran it, had a terrible marking technique, and was very poor in live play with the ball at ground level unless he was just picking it up and hoofing it or giving a quick handball.

Considering the only position we had made work for him was that ruck role, and we never showed any indication we were trying to push him forward again, I think the point stands that not having a $900K Ivan Soldo on the list is probably for the best.

You missed the point, so I will leave it at that

Mofra
26-04-2022, 02:04 PM

Sam Collins was delisted, went back to state footy, then got picked up as a DFA.
There's every chance we'd be the Fremantle on the Sam Collins situation.

jeemak
26-04-2022, 02:16 PM
Sam Collins was delisted, went back to state footy, then got picked up as a DFA.
There's every chance we'd be the Fremantle on the Sam Collins situation.

Yeah, that's a good point.

westbulldog
26-04-2022, 07:04 PM
As Macca said "2nd Quarter, McNeil kicked 25 m on an angle , misses everything." I frankly wonder why McNeill is in the team, he has played 16 games and most stats are below average. Wallis, West, Jones would all do better.

macca
27-04-2022, 10:07 PM
1. we cannot beat a younger Adelaide side , our mid field was outworked by their younger mids
their backs took 26 intercept marks. Frampton looked like a super star from this game's effort( cynism on). The work rate was not there by our fwds or the delivery was rubbish.

2. Reminder how much the media hate us: yes Cornes, Caro and all the flogs on the so called footy shows beating up negative press on the club. We have had a tragic weak off the field. Yes, people are emotional. What if we had won by 1 point, would the narrative be different ?

3. Are we really that far off, by losing by 1 point ? We have lost key players: Keith, English, Hunter, JJ due to injuries. Their talent has really exposed important roles they play. English does more than just ruck, he offers another running mid option who can mark. I am kinda worried now with the kick outs from goal square, there is lack of marking ability with English missing We really miss Hunter's hard running on the wing and creative play. Crazy to think that JJ and VDM could supply more fwd pressure.

4. I am a bit concerned some of the younger players have not given a call up: West, Butler, R.Snith , instead mcComb gets a game ahead. Good luck to him, I am going on assumption he was picked on KPI performance, so he must deserve it.

5. Is it time to test the players on the list, to see who stays and who needs to go, time to really clean out the list? Or is it a question after round 9?