PDA

View Full Version : Round One Winners and Sinners

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 07:40 PM
It's been a very interesting week for the AFL with a massive amount of distractions so this is my wrap for the week

Winners
The Adelaide Players
They had every right to be upset given they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and yet the still honoured the great man Brad Johnson and not because the had to but because they wanted to. I dip my hat to them.

Hawthorn
There is plenty to admire about how this club has rebuilt itself so quickly and I can see them going from strength to strength during the season.

Essendon
Matthew Knights has not only replaced a legend of the club but has transitioned the club into a vastly different combination than under Sheedy. They could have chucked in the towel after losing the in form Lucas but they stuck to their task and had a comprehensive win. I doubt that they can sustain it for the season but they are playing well at the moment.

Sinners
Mick Malthouse
If his comments about the rule makers doesn't land him in a lot of hot water then there is no justice.

Kane Johnson
Enough said

Fremantle
A very slow and old outfit and Harvey will need to reinvent them quickly

Melbourne
The got towelled up by an in form team but the signs didn't look good.
They scare me for next week though.

hujsh
25-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Mick MalthouseIf his comments about the rule makers doesn't land him in a lot of hot water then there is no justice.

So he can't speak the truth. His comments (or what i hear of them) weren't wrong

Dry Rot
25-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm not just thinking of losing sides, but North and Carlton must be disappointed with their second half capitulations.

GVGjr
25-03-2008, 08:49 PM
So he can't speak the truth. His comments (or what i hear of them) weren't wrong

In this instance no he can't. There are ways to get your point over with the media and Malthouse chose to make it personal. He issued an apology which proves that he knew he was wrong. He is smarter than that given he is no rookie in front of the media.

GVGjr
25-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm not just thinking of losing sides, but North and Carlton must be disappointed with their second half capitulations.

Carlton was a 50/50 game as far as I am concerned. Ratten has yet to prove that he can coach but I don't think they would be devastated.
North put in a shocker and were even running into and cleaning up their own teammates. Just a blip in the radar I would think.

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Melbourne
The got towelled up by an in form team but the signs didn't look good.
They scare me for next week though.

Oh yes, me too.
There is no sarcasm in that at all, I hate playing teams on the rebound, especially when they've just been completely flogged!

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Whether or not he was right. He got off lightly.

Mantis
25-03-2008, 11:13 PM
North put in a shocker and were even running into and cleaning up their own teammates. Just a blip in the radar I would think.

Or did they just over-achieve last year?

Wells was horrible and there hard-working midfielders (Rawlings, Simpson, Harris) don't look any faster or more skilful. Shit they looked slow. I know over the season the game slows, but last year North were a very fit team due to the early start to there pre-season and hit the ground running so to speak. I just don't know where there improvement will come from.

I would be a bit worried if I was a North supporter.

Go_Dogs
26-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Yes, agreed on this point. They probably went in with 4 or so of their best 22 not playing, so they'll get better. They started off well, but faded late mainly due to the sheer leg speed the young Bombers side has.

LostDoggy
26-03-2008, 01:34 PM
North looked pretty slow and crap in the first three rounds of last year too (and we looked pretty hot after Round 1 last year). It's a long, long season.