PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned Round Seven 2022 v Essington

Twodogs
30-04-2022, 03:58 PM
Tell us four, no, two, sorry make that THREE things you've learnt today v the Bombres!

GVGjr
01-05-2022, 06:39 PM
Bump

Mutz
01-05-2022, 07:08 PM
1. Dunkley is a high octane tackling beast. If only he was a better kick.

2. Peter Wright started to look dangerous as the game progressed - we need Keath back urgently.

3. Small forwards were better at giving Naughton space but it needs to improve further.

Bonus. Our problem with the rucking situation persists. Both Martin and Cordy were smashed by Draper.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-05-2022, 07:26 PM
1. Our field kicking without pressure is great.
2. Bailey Dale is seriously good.
3. We won covering the ruck issues.
4. Only one letter between Dogs and Dons.

Dancin' Douggy
01-05-2022, 07:49 PM
1. Our forward line in general seems to function better when Mitch Wallis is down there. He knows how to create space, he runs to the right spots and he confidently demands the ball. There was so much more space and spread today compared to last week in Ballarat.

2. Our tall forwards still spoil each other over and over again. Probably cost us 4 - 6 easy shots on goal today.

3. Richards can be a solid confident senior AFL player. He has never quite put it together like he did today

3B. The idea of losing to Effingdon, with Stringer, is so abhorrent to me I just feel so relieved that we won, I knew that already but felt the need to put it down in writing. Is probably good therapy.

bornadog
01-05-2022, 08:38 PM
1. We can kick 16 goals without any of the big guys kicking goals

2. Ruck work is over rated unless you can get first use of the ball - We won clearances, including halving centre clr, but lost the hit outs

3. Love seeing ED take them on today

whythelongface
01-05-2022, 08:54 PM
1. We look so much better when we lower the eyes and kick to a leading target or free man in the forward line. Doesn’t happen enough and is both the fault of the forwards not leading and our deliverers kicking long to the contest. Difficult with a makeshift forward line.

2. Dale is not just a one season wonder. Love how he takes the game on. Sure he has the occasional zinger but more often than not his kicking provides enormous advantage to us.

3. We miss Keath. However in saying that thought both Gardner and O’Brien were solid. Sure Wright kicked 4. One in junk time and one after a Dale turnover when he ended up one on one with Macrae. Can’t recall whom O’Brien was on but they were largely ineffective.

AshMac
01-05-2022, 09:12 PM
1. Best I’ve seen us play this year but far from the best I expect
2. There’s be no downside to playing sweet over Martin
3. Bailey Smith doesn’t like Jake stringer

Bullies
01-05-2022, 09:25 PM
1. Essendon are insipid. Not sure they laid a tackle that stuck. We should have had a bigger kill instead we had a soft kill but we will take it.
2. When we have it in the hands of our elite players we move it so well. Our 15 - 22 ranked players though at present are not the standard of 2016 so we will need our best team in to challenge.
3. McComb is not AFL standard. He had 22 possessions. 20 would have missed a target. The top teams will cut you up.

azabob
01-05-2022, 09:27 PM
1. McNeil can kick over 25m and kick straight. A great 6 disposal game.

2. Treloar is building really nicely. I hope we as a team and coaching group start using him at centre bounces more and utilising his run.

3. Ed Richards is becoming a well rounded player. Amazing what a consistent run of games does for a player.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2022, 10:37 PM
1. Essendon are a absolute rabble and it warms the soul.
2. Essendon are a absolute rabble and it warms the soul.
3. Essendon are a absolute rabble and it warms the soul.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-05-2022, 11:50 PM
From EFC report on the game:
"Dogs have the wood over the Dons

Between 2011 and 2014, Essendon beat the Western Bulldogs on six consecutive occasions. Since then, however, the tables have well and truly turned, with the Dogs having now won eight of their past nine encounters against the Bombers by an average margin of 50.6 points".
Thats eight goals on average that we have feasted on them.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2022, 12:04 AM
1. Essendon are as bad as Norf. In all seriousness, why have they dropped off? Who were they missing?

2. Martin should be on the couch with the rest of us. I didn't learn this today, but it's becoming painfully more obvious. If Sweet can't get a game over Martin, please get rid of him.

3. McNeil lives to fight another day. Been critical of him but today was mostly good. Good pressure, took his chances. More please.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2022, 12:06 AM
From EFC report on the game:
"Dogs have the wood over the Dons

Between 2011 and 2014, Essendon beat the Western Bulldogs on six consecutive occasions. Since then, however, the tables have well and truly turned, with the Dogs having now won eight of their past nine encounters against the Bombers by an average margin of 50.6 points".
Thats eight goals on average that we have feasted on them.

I won't be happy until we are in front in the all time head to head.

Played 164

Bulldogs 67
Bombers 95
Draw 2

Need to win the next 28 in a row to break even ... ha.

westbulldog
02-05-2022, 10:58 AM
1. Essendon are as bad as Norf. In all seriousness, why have they dropped off? Who were they missing?

2. Martin should be on the couch with the rest of us. I didn't learn this today, but it's becoming painfully more obvious. If Sweet can't get a game over Martin, please get rid of him.

3. McNeil lives to fight another day. Been critical of him but today was mostly good. Good pressure, took his chances. More please.

Same for me.

Twodogs
02-05-2022, 11:30 AM
1. Our field kicking without pressure is great.
2. Bailey Dale is seriously good.
3. We won covering the ruck issues.
4 Only one letter between Dogs and Dons.

Only one suburb too.

DOG GOD
02-05-2022, 05:55 PM
1. Essendon are BAD. We didn’t beat much.
2. Martin playing is an absolute farce. Please stop it. No idea why Sweet stayed. He shouldn’t have
3. McComb gets a Rubbish 22 disposal game. His goals however will keep him in ahead of West etc.
4. Keath and English need to get back ASAP

bornadog
02-05-2022, 06:18 PM
2. Martin playing is an absolute farce. Please stop it. No idea why Sweet stayed. He shouldn’t have
3. McComb gets a Rubbish 22 disposal game. His goals however will keep him in ahead of West etc.

So no positives after a demolition of Essendon?

DOG GOD
02-05-2022, 06:21 PM
So no positives after a demolition of Essendon?

I wouldn’t call it a demolition. We lead by 50 to win by 32. They were pretty poor. We played well enough to get a win.
Some players played well for sure, but we look a mile off last year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-05-2022, 06:32 PM
1. For whatever isn't going right with us right now, some core things are in good shape. Player belief and willingness to back their ability to execute the game plan under pressure. Given the losses so far this year, it would be easy for guys to go into self-preservation mode, and head into that death spiral space of just trying not to make a mistake. Dale & Daniel in particular repeatedly backed their skills to make the play, even though it required precision execution.

2. I know Wright kicked a few, but I still think Gardner has shown more growth, he's getting more expansive with his disposals and helping to drive the play.

3. Whilst the performance wasn't perfect, if we bring that pressure game to most contests, we'll be right in those games.

bornadog
02-05-2022, 06:33 PM
I wouldn’t call it a demolition. We lead by 50 to win by 32. They were pretty poor. We played well enough to get a win.
Some players played well for sure, but we look a mile off last year.

Junk time goals.

I thought you said they were better than us. :D

Ess by 27 points
First goal (and 5 more) 2MP
Bog- Draper/2MP

Prediction
ESS 15.5 (95)
WB. 9.14 (68)

DOG GOD
02-05-2022, 07:03 PM
Junk time goals.

I thought you said they were better than us. :D

Not sure what your point is Bornadog. I wasn’t the only one to pick Ess to win.
I never said they were better than us. I just expected them to win yesterday.

bornadog
02-05-2022, 08:48 PM
Not sure what your point is Bornadog. I wasn’t the only one to pick Ess to win.
I never said they were better than us. I just expected them to win yesterday.

SorryDG just having a bit of fun

DOG GOD
02-05-2022, 09:17 PM
SorryDG just having a bit of fun
No worries

Mantis
02-05-2022, 10:34 PM

Martin has completely out-performed Sweet in the VFL this year and deserves to be next in-line.. the fact that Martin is next in line is another matter altogether.

macca
03-05-2022, 12:55 AM
1. Essendon are a rabble. They got rid of Knights because they could not tackle and had no defensive pressure. They have gone backwards. Some of their most vaulted trades: Shiels, Smith and Stringer are going to cause them a world of pain. They butchered so many balls on the rebound. Its great to see them get smashed like this, It causes me great joy to say this.

2. McNeil has shown why the MC have persisted with him forward. Really happy for him and good game. If he cleans up his kicking, his going to be a very handy forward

3. Really like the growth of Gardner and him commanding a senior like presence in the backline.

Ghost Dog
03-05-2022, 10:44 AM
1. Brisbane look better than us.
2. We look a LOT better than Essendon.
3. Buku Khamis is developing well.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-05-2022, 11:56 AM
Martin has completely out-performed Sweet in the VFL this year and deserves to be next in-line.. the fact that Martin is next in line is another matter altogether.

Yep.

Alarming that Sweet can be behind a guy who can barley move.

More alarming that we didn't think we needed cover. We didn't rate Sweet (only offered him 1 year originally), Martin was injury prone and almost 50.

I get we chased Soldo, but I mean, it didn't happen and we decided let's just stick with what we have? Wow.

Mantis
03-05-2022, 11:56 AM
1. Brisbane look better than us.
2. We look a LOT better than Essendon.
3. Buku Khamis is developing well.

Not sure how point 3 is valid for this topic.

Mofra
03-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Kicked 4 against Essendon's VFL side

Ghost Dog
03-05-2022, 12:41 PM

Oh excuse me for that, the thread title is really long so it just shows " Three things you've learned Round seven 2022" in the forum. I missed the Essington bit.

Kicked 4 against Essendon's VFL side
Good point!

ok point 3. Ed Richards is showing a bit and needs to. Our investment in him is surely overdue to be returned.

DOG GOD
03-05-2022, 01:00 PM
And that’s it. I’m not saying sweet should be playing. I just said I’m not sure why he stayed when a 35 year old is being picked ahead.

Grantysghost
03-05-2022, 01:07 PM
1. Gardner doesn't need a break. 100 percent game time but so did Wright so maybe linked.
2. Our half back metres gained is almost as critical as our contested ball. Daniel, Richards and Dale had a combined 1884 metres gained.
3. Essendon are bottom 4 and Stringer still fakes injuries when he can't be arsed.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-05-2022, 07:20 PM
Only one suburb too.

Moonee Ponds between.