PDA

View Full Version : Priority Picks

GVGjr
30-04-2022, 07:53 PM
There is some talk around the media that North are in line for consideration of receiving a priority pick.
While I'm not against providing PP for teams that genuinely need it North did a fire sale of players to position themselves for free agency and then haven't been able to land good players. They shouldn't be rewarded for their strategic failures.

Thoughts?

Grantysghost
30-04-2022, 07:57 PM
No way Jose B.

Ben Brown has kicked four for the premiers* tonight.

There has to be consideration for clubs ability to control the situation.

If it's out of their control, then maybe.

I'm against it in principle because it's such a crap shoot.

Melbourne were basically handed one with Frawley compo.

Petracca.

MrMahatma
01-05-2022, 12:17 AM
The concept of priority picks is nuts. Such an equal comp with so many regulations around $ spent on anything, over and above the draft itself. Can’t be handing out priority picks any more.

Bulldog Joe
01-05-2022, 10:28 AM
No priority picks PERIOD.

bornadog
01-05-2022, 10:54 AM
The concept of priority picks is nuts. Such an equal comp with so many regulations around $ spent on anything, over and above the draft itself. Can’t be handing out priority picks any more.

No priority picks PERIOD.

This ^^^

PP is just an excuse for bad list management. How many players did North delist. I think they went overboard too quickly.

The other thing is when does the coach get questioned?

Bulldog4life
01-05-2022, 01:49 PM
Yes I would give them a priority pick. Number 79 in the draft. That is all they deserve.

azabob
01-05-2022, 02:00 PM
Can we get a priority pick?

Happy Days
01-05-2022, 02:09 PM
Can we get a priority pick?

Didn’t we just get two?

GVGjr
01-05-2022, 02:13 PM
As BAD pointed out they planned for a fire sale of players which was a poor list management decision. They shouldn't be compensated for that.

I'm not again PP but not when a club makes a decision to cull their list and get early picks as part of the rebuild and then get it wrong.
Scott Clayton didn't get it right at Gold Coast and now it appears that he has got it wrong at North. He's had enough early picks.

North need to wait this one out.

MrMahatma
01-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Could be a long wait. If a tassie team comes in they’ll start raiding the draft and under age players no doubt.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2022, 12:59 AM
If they relocate to Tasmania they can have a priority pick. Larger catchment area for us.

The Doctor
02-05-2022, 05:19 AM
What about this?

https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/video/listen-hodge-gives-tom-brownes-essendon-priority-pick-suggestion-the-response-it-deserved-1194214/

Mofra
02-05-2022, 09:34 AM
There is some talk around the media that North are in line for consideration of receiving a priority pick.
While I'm not against providing PP for teams that genuinely need it North did a fire sale of players to position themselves for free agency and then haven't been able to land good players. They shouldn't be rewarded for their strategic failures.

Thoughts?
Of that 'fire sale', no club touched any of them with a 10 foot pole, save for Melbourne jumping on a Ben Brown trade after he demanded a bigger deal.

GVGjr
02-05-2022, 09:36 AM
Of that 'fire sale', no club touched any of them with a 10 foot pole, save for Melbourne jumping on a Ben Brown trade after he demanded a bigger deal.

I guess it shows their intent. I think even Goldy was on offer.

Happy Days
02-05-2022, 09:36 AM
I guess it shows their intent. I think even Goldy was on offer.

Why you gotta say that

GVGjr
02-05-2022, 09:41 AM
Why you gotta say that

He would have been OK for 3 years wouldn't he?

Higgins was traded away as well

Bulldog Joe
02-05-2022, 09:51 AM
He would have been OK for 3 years wouldn't he?

Higgins was traded away as well

Trading Higgins was like getting paid for burnt toast.

hujsh
02-05-2022, 10:26 AM
Trading Higgins was like getting paid for burnt toast.

They did really well coming and going for Higgins. Got a free agent in his prime years, he played good footy for a long period of time and right as he was declining managed to get pick 32 or something for him. At least there was one great piece of business from them.

EasternWest
02-05-2022, 11:14 AM
They did really well coming and going for Higgins. Got a free agent in his prime years, he played good footy for a long period of time and right as he was declining managed to get pick 32 or something for him. At least there was one great piece of business from them.

That's a really good point, and let's not forget that we were the true winners in that because we didn't have to put up with that surly tosser any more.

Bulldog Revolution
02-05-2022, 11:34 AM
That's a really good point, and let's not forget that we were the true winners in that because we didn't have to put up with that surly tosser any more.

I know he's not a favourite of yours EW, but I dont like they we got little for him, and he played his career best footy at North

I view it as a failing of us that we couldnt extract it from him in the RWB

EasternWest
02-05-2022, 12:13 PM
I know he's not a favourite of yours EW, but I dont like they we got little for him, and he played his career best footy at North

I view it as a failing of us that we couldnt extract it from him in the RWB

I just can't warm to players that have no interest in making their team better.

By all reports he's a nice guy, but I can only judge him from what I saw and I didn't care for what I saw.