30-05-2022, 03:01 PM
Bump

bornadog
04-06-2022, 09:57 PM
Sydney by two points at half time after being jumped by Dees

GVGjr
04-06-2022, 10:46 PM
Sydney by two points at half time after being jumped by Dees

It's a cracking game. I mentioned a few weeks back how good Errol Gulden is and he is having a real influence on the game.

jeemak
04-06-2022, 10:51 PM
Langdon drops the knees and they're trying to make excuses for it.....

bornadog
04-06-2022, 10:56 PM
Great win by Sydney.

jeemak
04-06-2022, 11:00 PM
Great win Sydney.

Every AFL team is vulnerable once their defencive structure is compromised. Let's hope the dick kissing Melbourne has experienced the last eighteen months is done with and they start to eat shit when actually tested.

Grantysghost
04-06-2022, 11:02 PM
Great win Sydney.

Every AFL team is vulnerable once their defencive structure is compromised. Let's hope the dick kissing Melbourne has experienced the last eighteen months is done with and they start to eat shit when actually tested.

Haha love it Jee. Bunch of wankers!

GVGjr
04-06-2022, 11:12 PM
Is Paddy McCartin one of the real good news footy stories of the year? He's had a very solid season.

jeemak
04-06-2022, 11:13 PM
Is Paddy McCartin one of the real good news footy stories of the year? He's had a very solid season.

Inspired decision to select him and give him a chance. He's a risk week in and week out, but super happy for him going for it.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 11:15 PM
Haha love it Jee. Bunch of wankers!

Yasou malaka!
I love Melbourne cos my dad died in '64, took me and bro to MCG in '63 Melbourne versus Geelong, Polly Farmer, Goggin, Polinelli, Stewart and Alistair Lord.
Geelong won but Melbourne won Premiership.
Dadda played for St Patricks late 30's and early '40s including the first St Patrickick's Ballarat defeat for fifty years, the beginnings of the game !!!
He played/trained with Melbourne's seconds.
But The Banker and I living in Droop St followed Footscray.

Grantysghost
05-06-2022, 12:45 AM
Yasou malaka!
I love Melbourne cos my dad died in '64, took me and bro to MCG in '63 Melbourne versus Geelong, Polly Farmer, Goggin, Polinelli, Stewart and Alistair Lord.
Geelong won but Melbourne won Premiership.
Dadda played for St Patricks late 30's and early '40s including the first St Patrickick's Ballarat defeat for fifty years, the beginnings of the game !!!
He played/trained with Melbourne's seconds.
But The Banker and I living in Droop St followed Footscray.

My counter argument :

https://resources.melbournefc.com.au/photo-resources/2021/04/12/33d665d4-719f-4b7e-8ce9-ecda85f85d44/04MeGe21DB0945.JPG?width=750&height=466

Nice story with your dad, of course my comments are tongue in cheek :)

Happy Days
05-06-2022, 12:50 AM
I too hope that this is the beginning of the end for Melbourne and they go back to losing games on purpose in front of 9,000 people again.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 12:57 AM
I too hope that this is the beginning of the end for Melbourne and they go back to losing games on purpose in front of 9,000 people again.

Bulla has opened early due to lots of snow

jazzadogs
05-06-2022, 04:42 PM
Sydney maintained their forward structure very well, including having tall options with limited skillsets (Amartey, Reid, Logan McDonald, Ladhams) who held their position, limited intercepts and created contests. Something for us to consider when we next meet the Dees...

Lever only had 2 marks for the game, Tomlinson had 3. Obviously May being out helps, but there is definite merit in having tall options to occupy the interceptors, provide a target and bring the ball to ground.

Gawn's game was incredible - 28 touches (23 contested!!), 9 marks, 30 hitouts, 3 goals and 10 score involvements, 97% TOG.

DOG GOD
05-06-2022, 04:48 PM
What a difference May out makes to Melb when a team gets it in quick and the lever/May double has no time to set up.
Great performance by Sydney. Great to watch. ..and what a difference it makes to a fwd line when you have genuine fwds..Reid, McDonald, papley, Heeney.

GVGjr
05-06-2022, 04:54 PM
Sydney maintained their forward structure very well, including having tall options with limited skillsets (Amartey, Reid, Logan McDonald, Ladhams) who held their position, limited intercepts and created contests. Something for us to consider when we next meet the Dees...

Lever only had 2 marks for the game, Tomlinson had 3. Obviously May being out helps, but there is definite merit in having tall options to occupy the interceptors, provide a target and bring the ball to ground.

Gawn's game was incredible - 28 touches (23 contested!!), 9 marks, 30 hitouts, 3 goals and 10 score involvements, 97% TOG.

Logan McDonald was very impressive and I hold hopes that he an Marra will be a couple of the competitions best tall forwards in a couple of years.

GVGjr
05-06-2022, 05:00 PM
I hate to say it but I think Sam Mitchell might be a good coach, the Hawks are playing a lot better after the half time break.

soupman
05-06-2022, 05:13 PM
Good game this with some horrific umpiring.

Ginnivan is Weightmans biggest competition for universally hated small forward.

divvydan
05-06-2022, 05:14 PM
The main negative of the umpiring in this game has been the frees paid by the non controlling umpire 40-50m away overruling the nearby umpire.

soupman
05-06-2022, 05:18 PM
The main negative of the umpiring in this game has been the frees paid by the non controlling umpire 40-50m away overruling the nearby umpire.

That one against Moore was terrible. Imagine being Butler and your first AFL goal is from that.

Hawks have found a good one in Newcombe, real competitive beast.

DOG GOD
05-06-2022, 05:47 PM
That one against Moore was terrible. Imagine being Butler and your first AFL goal is from that.

Hawks have found a good one in Newcombe, real competitive beast.

Newcombe has a great competitive spirit about him.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 06:13 PM
That one against Moore was terrible.

That was a shocker, and like the chopping of the arms rule has gone out of control and not being applied as the original intention of the rule and just plain ruining the game.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 08:42 PM
Watching the Freo game and some of their tall forwards, shows why we urgently need a 198 plus cm full back

Grantysghost
05-06-2022, 08:59 PM
Watching the Freo game and some of their tall forwards, shows why we urgently need a 198 plus cm full back

Defintely need to bolster the defence with talls.

However, not that easy there aren't that many around.

McKay from North would be a good target.

GVGjr
05-06-2022, 09:52 PM

Who's Freo got that is 198cm defender?

bornadog
05-06-2022, 11:43 PM
Who's Freo got that is 198cm defender?

For starters Alex Pearce at 201cm

I more worried about there forwards

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 06:10 AM
For starters Alex Pearce at 201cm

I more worried about there forwards

They have Lobb and the last couple of weeks have put Logue there who some regard as undersized. Freo did play two ruckman.

I don't think we are losing games because our back line is undersized and O'Brien aside we opened the door for Lewis Young to walk away and of course Wood announced he was retiring. If we are too short now, we were the same last year.

bornadog
06-06-2022, 10:19 AM
They have Lobb and the last couple of weeks have put Logue there who some regard as undersized. Freo did play two ruckman.

Freo are a big chance for the GF this year. They were also missing Taberner at FF and of course Fyfe, so still improvement left after knocking off the top two teams.

soupman
06-06-2022, 10:38 AM
I don't think we are losing games because our back line is undersized and O'Brien aside we opened the door for Lewis Young to walk away and of course Wood announced he was retiring. If we are too short now, we were the same last year.

We were too short last year. We've had the exact same shopping list the last two trade periods, or at least this forum did. A key defender and a ruck. Aside from an undersized O'Brien and a completely cooked (but very nice) Martin we have not addressed it.

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 11:42 AM
We were too short last year. We've had the exact same shopping list the last two trade periods, or at least this forum did. A key defender and a ruck. Aside from an undersized O'Brien and a completely cooked (but very nice) Martin we have not addressed it.

This is where I get a bit confused, in nearly every trade period where we point out the gaps they aren't seen by many as a genuine priority. It's not until the season starts that it then becomes a bit of an issue and even a reason why we have lost.

I think O'Brien would have been a good addition if we had kept Young so I now see TOB as more of a Easton Wood replacement than adding depth to the KPD stocks.

MrMahatma
06-06-2022, 01:56 PM
We haven't had a lot of currency given we used a lot of picks on JUH & Darcy.

What should we have done? You gotta give something to get it.

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 02:13 PM

While I'm a firm believer that you have to stump up to get something good, we did pay a premium on these boys especially given they were coming off a couple of very disrupted development years.
It will all just take a bit of time to get the return we are looking for.

Both boys were always going to be longer term projects. In a couple of years time we will be talking about what a steal they were.

bornadog
06-06-2022, 02:15 PM

Also, the last couple of years, we brought in Keath, Bruce, Gardner, Martin. Very difficult to do everything.

Mantis
06-06-2022, 02:21 PM
Also, the last couple of years, we brought in Keath, Bruce, Gardner, Martin. Very difficult to do everything.

Keath, Bruce & Gardner were brought in 3-4 seasons ago... we brought in Martin 2 years ago.

After the 2020 & 2021 seasons we have brought in f-all ready made KP players whilst drafting in a number of ready made small players (Scott, McComb, etc.) when we were already well stocked for those types... it makes no sense.

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 02:30 PM

Just on that, Gardner came in as a rookie after a few years at Geelong, Martin was a bit of a gamble and when we realised he was injury injury prone than we hoped we didn't do anything to address it in fact we lost Young.
Bruce was always going to miss the better part of this season and Keath has been an excellent addition.

Marra and Darcy were sort of forced upon us and what we haven't been able to do is prove we can develop taller players although Naughton was an inspired selection who quickly fitted in and English has taken just a bit longer than we hoped but he is bloody good now.

Our later selections in the drafts have tended to be more midfield and or experienced types.
Hayes, Cav, McNeil, Scott and McComb types.

bornadog
06-06-2022, 02:35 PM
Keath, Bruce & Gardner were brought in 3-4 seasons ago... we brought in Martin 2 years ago.

After the 2020 & 2021 seasons we have brought in f-all ready made KP players whilst drafting in a number of ready made small players (Scott, McComb, etc.) when we were already well stocked for those types... it makes no sense.

Year Drafted/Traded

2019 Keath, Bruce
2020 Martin, Gardner, JUH
2021 Darcy

* 2019 during the year Tom Boyd Retired which didn't help us.

2020/21 we didn't have any currency to trade for a quality tall. 2021, we were on the hunt for another Tall backman and ruck, but couldn't bring anyone in.

It is not as if we did *!*!*!*! all.

I would have tried to rookie another young tall for the future, but that doesn't help right now.

macca
06-06-2022, 02:45 PM

The players on the market need to want to come play for us.

Ruckman: Ladhams, Choi, Soldo, Pinott , Fort, Keuger, Lynch , Mason Cox, Ceglar , Preuss were traded in last couple of years.

Fwd: Wright , Jess Hogan , Ben Brown

Def: Markov

I am going on the assumption we inquired but for some reason or another they went to another club.

I am on the Levi Casboult wagon as chop out player, who can play forward. Don't know what was reason why we did not recruit him as a 1 year contract player .

Its a shame Young could not develop into a ruck as he is a good intercept mark .

soupman
06-06-2022, 02:45 PM
Yeah nah Gardner was mid year 2019.

Maybe we can run with the "we tried" defence for one trade period but not two.

soupman
06-06-2022, 02:49 PM
The players on the market need to want to come play for us. .

Equally it is on us to make them want to come to us.

Considering the only guys we have convin ed to come over in the last two years are two guys with literally no other options and a fringe guy with a new coach I'd argue that's pretty clear evidence we are either not trying or have nfi what we are doing when we do.

Couple that with the AFLW debacle where we recruit nobody and constantly lose our players at a rate seemingly much higher than other clubs and it seems we have a club wide issue selling ourselves as an employer.

Considering while we aren't the biggest club we are quite successful of late, seem to have a happy group playing for us and seem to be in a good position off field it is baffling what we consistently are doing wrong across the club.

bornadog
06-06-2022, 02:53 PM
Yeah nah Gardner was mid year 2019.

Maybe we can run with the "we tried" defence for one trade period but not two.

Yes my Mistake, but that is two Key Backs in the one year

We used up our first rounders and more in 2020 and 2021

bornadog
06-06-2022, 02:55 PM
Couple that with the AFLW debacle where we recruit nobody and constantly lose our players at a rate seemingly much higher than other clubs and it seems we have a club wide issue selling ourselves as an employer.

We went down the path of Drafting players which will payoff. As for losing players, need to back that statement compared to other clubs

MrMahatma
06-06-2022, 03:22 PM

Well:

Keath - end of 2019. Cost us a 2020 2nd rounder and got a 3rd in return.
Bruce - end of 2019. Cost us picks 32 & 51 from 2019 draft.
Gardiner - 2019 Mid-season draft.

So the last trade period where we didn't have a top 2 draftee to spend our picks on, we got 2 KPPs (using a future pick on one), and had 6 months earlier picked one up in the mid-season draft.

I guess a big issue has been Young & Trengrove leaving and not being replaced. Schache hasn't lived up to expectations.

I think the list has holes and am as annoyed as anyone. I also am not sure how we could've done more in the past few years? I mean, maybe we could've picked up fringe talls as opposed to fringe mids? Maybe state league talls rather than McComb, Scott etc?

Mantis
06-06-2022, 04:19 PM
Year Drafted/Traded

2019 Keath, Bruce
2020 Martin, Gardner, JUH
2021 Darcy

* 2019 during the year Tom Boyd Retired which didn't help us.

2020/21 we didn't have any currency to trade for a quality tall. 2021, we were on the hunt for another Tall backman and ruck, but couldn't bring anyone in.

It is not as if we did *!*!*!*! all.

I would have tried to rookie another young tall for the future, but that doesn't help right now.

Gardner was drafted in the middle of 2019.

We've done nothing to bring in ''ready made'' KPP's over the last 2 years, but have brought in lots of small/ mids... our list is out of balance and the excuses you give are just that.

bornadog
06-06-2022, 04:37 PM

We've done nothing to bring in ''ready made'' KPP's over the last 2 years, but have brought in lots of small/ mids... our list is out of balance and the excuses you give are just that.

Not giving excuses.

What I am saying is how do you bring them in when your first rounders are used up on JUH and Darcy. How do you get a decent ready made KPP if you have no currency?

Yes I stated above I made a mistake on year Gardner was drafted

mjp
07-06-2022, 12:38 PM

I mostly agree with you but I don't think it is out of balance.

Key Forwards:
Ready: Bruce, Naughton, Schache
Developing: Jamarra, Darcy

Key Backs:
Ready: Keath, Gardner, Cordy, O'Brien
Developing: -

Rucks:
Ready: Martin, English
Developing: Sweet

We actually have enough players. The problem is we don't necessarily pick them.

I get the MC concern with playing Sweet and English (or Martin and English) together because it costs us a rotation and with our zoning defense, the players are expected/needed to run (an awful lot). But at some point they just need to bit the bullet and select:

2x Key forwards
2x Key Defenders
2x Rucks
1x Utility Tall who can help wherever is needed.

eg.
Forwards: Naughton AND Schache
Backs: Gardner AND Keath
Rucks: English AND Sweet
Utility: O'Brien

I don't think it is that hard.