Essendon vs. Carlton MCG 7:50pm Seven/Fox

Saturday, Jun 11

Fremantle vs. Hawthorn Optus Stadium 4:10pm Fox Footy

Brisbane Lions vs. St Kilda The Gabba 7:25pm Seven/Fox

Sunday, Jun 12

North Melbourne vs. GWS GIANTS Marvel Stadium 3:20pm Fox Footy

Monday, Jun 13

Collingwood vs. Melbourne MCG 3:20pm Seven/Fox

Byes: Adelaide Crows, Gold Coast Suns, Western Bulldogs, West Coast Eagles, Sydney Swans and Geelong Cats

Eastdog
06-06-2022, 01:44 PM
Bump

Grantysghost
07-06-2022, 01:01 PM
May and Melksham got into a drunken fight with each other..

2017 Dogs vibes.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1144624

azabob
07-06-2022, 01:44 PM
May and Melksham got into a drunken fight with each other..

2017 Dogs vibes.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1144624

love it.

Flamethrower
09-06-2022, 10:56 PM
Trying to decide if the current AFL umpires are incompetent, or are they cheats. In almost every game these days they clearly favour one side over the other. Tonight Richmond were gifted the win.

Give me the umpires in the WRFL any day over these clowns, especially the junior and volunteer umpires - no egos, just pay the obvious free kicks.

Grantysghost
09-06-2022, 11:41 PM
We are officially a game outside the 8 now.

azabob
10-06-2022, 07:05 AM
We are officially a game outside the 8 now.

We already were. We are a game behind Collingwood… yes Collingwood have more wins than us.

Bulldog Joe
10-06-2022, 10:00 AM
Trying to decide if the current AFL umpires are incompetent, or are they cheats. In almost every game these days they clearly favour one side over the other. Tonight Richmond were gifted the win.

Give me the umpires in the WRFL any day over these clowns, especially the junior and volunteer umpires - no egos, just pay the obvious free kicks.

The free to Gibcus to give the Tigers back the lead was so far wrong and a game changer.

merantau
10-06-2022, 07:21 PM
The free to Gibcus to give the Tigers back the lead was so far wrong and a game changer.
Yep, so soft. Port's kicking inside 50 plumbed new depths. Very often they didn't even give their forwards the chance to halve the contest.

bornadog
10-06-2022, 07:44 PM
My two most hated teams playing tonight. I prefer Essendon (yes) to win.

macca
10-06-2022, 09:14 PM
My two most hated teams playing tonight. I prefer Essendon (yes) to win.

Is that because they are both known cheats ? ;)

bornadog
10-06-2022, 09:42 PM
Is that because they are both known cheats ? ;)

exactly

The Bulldogs Bite
10-06-2022, 10:27 PM
Young has been good for Carlton.

Amazing what a run of games in one role will do for confidence.....

On another note, Carlton have finally arrived. The Curnow/McKay combo is scary.

jeemak
10-06-2022, 10:41 PM

Playing him or otherwise aside, I remember commenting on Young last year and still thinking that he seemed like a kid. Under-developed, and generally immature looking.

He looks a bit bigger generally this year as well as seemingly fitting in OK. I sometimes wonder if we're too scientific with how we bulk up players but then you get guys like English and Naughton who really manage to stack it on. I get everyone is different in how they develop, but we're never the side that looks bigger on the field even when we play less mature teams.

Grantysghost
10-06-2022, 10:46 PM
Playing him or otherwise aside, I remember commenting on Young last year and still thinking that he seemed like a kid. Under-developed, and generally immature looking.

He looks a bit bigger generally this year as well as seemingly fitting in OK. I sometimes wonder if we're too scientific with how we bulk up players but then you get guys like English and Naughton who really manage to stack it on. I get everyone is different in how they develop, but we're never the side that looks bigger on the field even when we play less mature teams.

Sometimes it takes a fresh start for some guys to realise their potential.
Jones was similar.

jeemak
10-06-2022, 10:52 PM
I'm more talking about size, but I agree with you.

Wouldn't be surprised if the first thing they said to Lewis is if you want to win respect around here be the first in the gym and the last out, and do extras.

GVGjr
10-06-2022, 10:58 PM

I wonder if he is having a Richards type year in that he is responding well to being played in a more natural position for him?
Went out to dinner with a few ex colleagues tonight the Carlton supporter kept quizzing me on why we allowed Young to leave.

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:01 PM
I wonder if he is having a Richards type year in that he is responding well to being played in a more natural position for him?
Went out to dinner with a few ex colleagues tonight the Carlton supporter kept quizzing me on why we allowed Young to leave.

That must have been annoying. Once or twice must have been enough for you to answer it sufficiently. I guess that's why I stay away from ex-colleagues because most often they don't know my triggers.....hence being ex-colleagues! :)

I kid, I kid.

I think it's because he wasn't played regularly. He was offered a two year deal, so it probably came down to money and opportunities and a chance to buy a second house one day.

G-Mo77
10-06-2022, 11:16 PM
Sometimes it takes a fresh start for some guys to realise their potential.
Jones was similar.

Just opportunity in Young's case.

bornadog
10-06-2022, 11:20 PM
Stringer is useless, glad he left

josie
10-06-2022, 11:21 PM
I think Young should have been given more opportunities with us and had more upside than say Cordy. Good luck to him. Like Lipinski you wish them well.

josie
10-06-2022, 11:23 PM
Stringer is useless, glad he left

Too heavy, injury prone. Yep, agree. Then again he is just as likely to play a blinder against us.

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:45 PM
Tom Browne is in the Carlton rooms saying how much he hopes Essendon get to celebrate how amazing they are. Acolyte.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-06-2022, 11:46 PM

Undoubtedly.

He showed enough with us but we refused to play him or played him out of position.

He was one of the best on the ground v Brisbane in Ballarat, played average the next week v GC and got dropped. Meanwhile, over the last few years, we've played the likes of English, Cordy and Gardner even when they had little impact repeatedly. English is going back a few extra years, but still relevant.

I don't think Young is a star but it's a blight on our coaching group that he's now playing very well in a top 4 side.

EasternWest
10-06-2022, 11:48 PM
money and opportunities and a chance to buy a second house one day.

What a traitor.

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:50 PM
What a traitor.

Absolute traitor.

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:50 PM
Undoubtedly.

He showed enough with us but we refused to play him or played him out of position.

He was one of the best on the ground v Brisbane in Ballarat, played average the next week v GC and got dropped. Meanwhile, over the last few years, we've played the likes of English, Cordy and Gardner even when they had little impact repeatedly. English is going back a few extra years, but still relevant.

I don't think Young is a star but it's a blight on our coaching group that he's now playing very well in a top 4 side.

I put a comparison up a few weeks ago, his disposal efficiency with us versus what it was at that time had increased a lot as well, so good on him for taking his opportunities.

The bulldog tragician
11-06-2022, 12:01 AM
Too heavy, injury prone. Yep, agree. Then again he is just as likely to play a blinder against us.

He has never played well against us. Thankfully.

Lewy Young is another of those Bevo mysteries. I feel really disappointed that he didn’t have the opportunity to grow into a role with us.

GVGjr
11-06-2022, 04:00 AM
That must have been annoying. Once or twice must have been enough for you to answer it sufficiently. I guess that's why I stay away from ex-colleagues because most often they don't know my triggers.....hence being ex-colleagues! :)

I kid, I kid.

I think it's because he wasn't played regularly. He was offered a two year deal, so it probably came down to money and opportunities and a chance to buy a second house one day.

Just noticed Brad Johnson said this on Twitter

Good to see a good young defender in Lewis Young playing well, pity the coach of the dogs didn’t think to play him in the position he is best suited

G-Mo77
11-06-2022, 06:08 AM

Good to see a good young defender in Lewis Young playing well, pity the coach of the dogs didn’t think to play him in the position he is best suited

Can I get an amen?

comrade
11-06-2022, 07:35 AM

Love Johnno.

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 10:12 AM

Wait isn't his boyfriend the defensive coach (bubba).

That's a big statement from Johnno, I wouldn't be going in the toilets anywhere near where Bevo is Brad!

jeemak
11-06-2022, 11:33 AM
He did mainly play as a defender, it's just that he rarely played.

Bevo/ the MC preferred others for some reason. That's just how it goes.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2022, 01:05 PM
He did mainly play as a defender, it's just that he rarely played.

Bevo/ the MC preferred others for some reason. That's just how it goes.

With all due respect jee, I'm not sure why so many continually sweep Bevo and the MC's mistakes under the rug.

We've been crying out for tall defenders for years, but yet we cough a young one up who showed promise to a top 4 side.

His treatment was crap as per my last post.

Happy Days
11-06-2022, 02:22 PM
I didn’t watch the game but I’m looking at the box score and it seems someone on Carlton let the actual literal worst player of all time (Draper) kick 2 goals. I’m gonna choose to believe it was Young and go back to going about my day.

macca
11-06-2022, 03:01 PM
With all due respect jee, I'm not sure why so many continually sweep Bevo and the MC's mistakes under the rug.

We've been crying out for tall defenders for years, but yet we cough a young one up who showed promise to a top 4 side.

I am not convinced on this asking players to be multi positioned , as in reality it’s a hard ask and it requires a different skill set

Run +12km a game, be able to read the passage , mark in packs , kick under fatigue and beat your opponent and the whole team defense thingy. Add on top of that play in different position ???? Not really a good JOb description to be recruited to the dogs

If you look at all the teams which have won premiership , have they asked their players to play multiple positions ?
Melbourne last year , exception to petracca , gawn and Jackson , I cannot recall them asking their players to play multiple positions

Some players just cannot do it

Better be master of one , do It well , beat your Opponent at that position.

I blame the stupid interchange caps for forcing this in large part . They really should increase the cap to another 30% as I fear players are playing under fatigue which is when injuries can occur. Maybe not in the game but can happen afterwards

merantau
11-06-2022, 05:14 PM
The Bombers dominated the last quarter kicking 4 points to 2 - absolutely overwhelming a pretty insipid Blues outfit. If only the game could've gone on for another decade Bombers were a big chance.

That was a huge fade out by the Blues. They looked tired. Could be the end of the season for them. I can't see them coming back from that shellacking. There's something going on at Carlton. Voss gave them one hell of a bollocking at the break but the players just didn't respond. In fact they did the opposite! They put the cue in the rack!

You can't talk to players like that any more. It was a silent protest by Blues players. A collective display of rebellion against an autocratic, overbearing bully - a throwback to Stalinist Russia if you will.

The players gave a collective one-finger salute to Voss - and good on 'em. Mark my words, there's trouble at Carlton. They won't make the 8 if Voss doesn't read the room.

Meanwhile a resurgent Bombers outfit - after that stunning last quarter turn around - 4 points to 2, can you believe it? - can build on that. I can see them winning every game from now on, by big margins, making a late run for the 8 and sneaking in on percentage. "Whatever it takes" Bombers. Never forget.

macca
11-06-2022, 05:47 PM
The Bombers dominated the last quarter kicking 4 points to 2 - absolutely overwhelming a pretty insipid Blues outfit. If only the game could've gone on for another decade Bombers were a big chance.

That was a huge fade out by the Blues. They looked tired. Could be the end of the season for them. I can't see them coming back from that shellacking. There's something going on at Carlton. Voss gave them one hell of a bollocking at the break but the players just didn't respond. In fact they did the opposite! They put the cue in the rack!

You can't talk to players like that any more. It was a silent protest by Blues players. A collective display of rebellion against an autocratic, overbearing bully - a throwback to Stalinist Russia if you will.

The players gave a collective one-finger salute to Voss - and good on 'em. Mark my words, there's trouble at Carlton. They won't make the 8 if Voss doesn't read the room.

Meanwhile a resurgent Bombers outfit - after that stunning last quarter turn around - 4 points to 2, can you believe it? - can build on that. I can see them winning every game from now on, by big margins, making a late run for the 8 and sneaking in on percentage. "Whatever it takes" Bombers. Never forget.

I had them at round 4 capitulating to their old ways . Voss has kept them for 12 rounds at least . But agree it’s starting to unravelling now, their snowflake overpaid players will bear their true nature shortly … delicious to watch

EasternWest
11-06-2022, 05:51 PM
I had them at round 4 capitulating to their old ways . Voss has kept them for 12 rounds at least . But agree it’s starting to unravelling now, their snowflake overpaid players will bear their true nature shortly … delicious to watch

Wait are you talking about us or Carlton because I can't tell.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 06:33 PM
Hawks no push over

merantau
11-06-2022, 06:45 PM
Hawks no push over

Yep, and we have to play them. We need to lift. The next few weeks is a big test for the Club. Another year wasted? I hope not.

GVGjr
11-06-2022, 07:11 PM
Hawks no push over

think I mentioned this last week but I'm concerned that Mitchell is actually a good coach.
He seems to be getting a lot out of an average playing list.

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 07:14 PM
think I mentioned this last week but I'm concerned that Mitchell is actually a good coach.

Those two games could be the difference between finals and not for us.

They knocked us off twice last season, once at Whitten in pre season and during that horror end that cost us top 4.

Hopefully we've learnt.

Happy Days
11-06-2022, 09:32 PM

I really agree. He hasn’t established a readily identifiable brand but he comes in with a game plan for every single team.

I think our weaknesses are actually the same but I’m interested to see how he targets us.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 10:20 PM

All I'm saying is he preferred others, I don't know why. But Young was predominantly played as a defender when he played for us, and that's all I'm saying.

I thought Young was OK, good and shit sometimes as a defender for us. I think he was immature physically and commented as such last year.

Let's see how he goes over a period of time, but make no mistake, I'm not defending Bevo by saying what I was above. I just don't know why, so I don't get upset about it.

whythelongface
11-06-2022, 10:24 PM
This St kilda side are hard as nails. If only we had their resolve. They aren’t an attractive team (in both senses) but they are bloody good defensively.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 11:14 PM
This St kilda side are hard as nails. If only we had their resolve. They aren’t an attractive team (in both senses) but they are bloody good defensively.

Didn't help them in the last quarter

whythelongface
12-06-2022, 11:26 AM

True. Kiss of death worked ��

BornInDroopSt'54
12-06-2022, 09:02 PM

I kid, I kid.

Haha hilarious.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-06-2022, 09:09 PM
Hmmm sensitive me is feeling something unfolding like history.
A leader doubted. Basically like all leaders, must keep the wins up. Bruce, JJ and Hunter may fire up a run home like last year. GWS with a false sense of security v us next week may help a momentum.

josie
13-06-2022, 06:08 PM
I don’t care if it’s bad for us if pies win. Go pies!!! (I have a soft spot for them).

GVGjr
13-06-2022, 06:19 PM
I don’t care if it’s bad for us if pies win. Go pies!!! (I have a soft spot for them).

Good contest, Brayshaw has been outstanding.
I don't really care either way who wins.

chef
13-06-2022, 06:28 PM
Good contest, Brayshaw has been outstanding.
I don't really care either way who wins.

I really enjoy watching the Pies play this season, they play some exciting footy and have a crack all over the ground.

Grantysghost
13-06-2022, 06:43 PM
That pies #1 goes ok. Great skills always keeps his feet.

bornadog
13-06-2022, 06:48 PM
I really enjoy watching the Pies play this season, they play some exciting footy and have a crack all over the ground.

Great game great win

jeemak
13-06-2022, 06:51 PM
Massive win for the Pies. Eat shit Melbourne.

Grantysghost
13-06-2022, 06:51 PM
Massive win for the Pies. Eat shit Melbourne.

They've got a fake flag to keep them warm.

Remember what their president said :

"They won’t be a premiership side [completely] until they win here at our heartland, the MCG,” Roffey said.

How's the AFL's best leader lambasting a 19 yr old when off the ground.

I actually like Ginnivin has some character.

josie
13-06-2022, 06:55 PM
Mihocek-gutsy player.

Could we have drafted Cox just prior to this season? I know some were disparaging but I reckon he’s ok and like his confidence.

Happy for Lippy.

Go Pies!

jeemak
13-06-2022, 07:01 PM
They've got a fake flag to keep them warm.

Remember what their president said :

"They won’t be a premiership side [completely] until they win here at our heartland, the MCG,” Roffey said.

How's the AFL's best leader lambasting a 19 yr old when off the ground.

I actually like Ginnivin has some character.

But, he really likes coffee and is so cool because of it.

People really struggle with the concept that players don't and never ever have changed direction with the football whilst standing up perfectly straight. It's actually impossible to do.

The onus is on the tackler to make sure the tackle stays below the shoulders and above the knees. If momentum or moving the arms makes a tackle slip high, it's a free kick. I really don't know why it drives people mad when the free kick is paid.

GVGjr
13-06-2022, 07:01 PM

They've performed better than I thought they would. I don't rate their list anywhere near as good as ours but they stood up against Naarm

Grantysghost
13-06-2022, 07:03 PM

People really struggle with the concept that players don't and never ever have changed direction with the football whilst standing up perfectly straight. It's actually impossible to do.

The onus is on the tackler to make sure the tackle stays below the shoulders and above the knees. If momentum or moving the arms makes a tackle slip high, it's a free kick. I really don't know why it drives people mad when the free kick is paid.

Exactly! Tackle properly.

I get the one where they slide it up like McLean and Selwood, that should be play on if the umpire sees it, but that wasn't one of those.

azabob
13-06-2022, 07:07 PM

Don’t forget he also makes hipster Jaffels and loves the Tour de France. Extra bonus points.

jeemak
13-06-2022, 07:26 PM
Exactly! Tackle properly.

I get the one where they slide it up like McLean and Selwood, that should be play on if the umpire sees it, but that wasn't one of those.

If you move your arms and it results in the tackle going high then it should be a free. Just like if you run and the tackle slips low and you trip, it should be a free.

The onus should be on the tackler to make sure it stays below the shoulders and above the knee.

jeemak
13-06-2022, 07:28 PM
Don’t forget he also makes hipster Jaffels and loves the Tour de France. Extra bonus points.

I forgot about those things. *!*!*!*! he's cool.

Grantysghost
13-06-2022, 07:33 PM
If you move your arms and it results in the tackle going high then it should be a free. Just like if you run and the tackle slips low and you trip, it should be a free.

The onus should be on the tackler to make sure it stays below the shoulders and above the knee.

Hmm not sure I agree on that one, I've got no problem with the move if they get out of a tackle but it's like ducking to me.
You're making it high on purpose.

jeemak
13-06-2022, 07:37 PM
Hmm not sure I agree on that one, I've got no problem with the move if they get out of a tackle but it's like ducking to me.
You're making it high on purpose.

That's like saying running out of a tackle makes it too low on purpose if a tackle slips below the knees.

If I stand up, don't duck but move my arms when someone tackles me in the act of trying to break the tackle or dispose of the footy and it slips high, why wouldn't it be a free? Am I supposed to just submit to the tackle?

Sure, if I completely lose my legs and it goes high then play on.

Grantysghost
13-06-2022, 07:56 PM
That's like saying running out of a tackle makes it too low on purpose if a tackle slips below the knees.

If I stand up, don't duck but move my arms when someone tackles me in the act of trying to break the tackle or dispose of the footy and it slips high, why wouldn't it be a free? Am I supposed to just submit to the tackle?

Sure, if I completely lose my legs and it goes high then play on.

I say nay and you're clearly wrong I'm giving you a Max Gawn style spray ;)

Edit: Important part in your argument is stand up. The ones I refer to they drop the knees. Think McLean.

comrade
13-06-2022, 08:20 PM
Are Melbourne actually cooked?

Grantysghost
13-06-2022, 08:25 PM

I think the bye has come at a very good time.

This season is up for grabs though so being two games out of the 8 really sucks.

Testekill
13-06-2022, 08:27 PM

They lost their fitness guy; it's not coincidental that in three losses in a row they couldn't run out a game.

Grantysghost
13-06-2022, 08:28 PM
They lost their fitness guy; it's not coincidental that in three losses in a row they couldn't run out a game.

Burgess is at the Crows now.

Mantis
13-06-2022, 09:54 PM

They simply ran out of legs with 3 midfielders off with injuries.