PDA

View Full Version : Leon Cameron Stepping Down

bornadog
12-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Sam Edmund

Leon Cameron has called time as GWS Giants coach.

The playing group has been informed this morning. Cameron will coach against Carlton this weekend before Mark McVeigh takes over as caretaker.

This is year number nine at the helm. He took the Giants to a Grand Final in 2019, plus two preliminary finals as well in 2016 and 2017.

He’s had access to a very talented list, he took them right to the pointy end, they just couldn’t quite get over the hump.

This had been handled really well with the way it was put on the public agenda at the start of the season, which was was completely Cameron’s doing. It was his decision to do that. It really did speak of a man who was at peace with his place in the football world.

It was handled with dignity and class and it appears as though the Giants have done the same.

Cameron has helmed the Giants since 2014 and holds an 87-70-3 all-time record.

Axe Man
12-05-2022, 10:25 AM
You think he would have coached the year out. Last game this weekend v Carlton.

I wonder if we would explore his return as a senior assistant to Bevo?

bornadog
12-05-2022, 10:28 AM

If we have the soft cap space - yes

Bulldog Revolution
12-05-2022, 10:47 AM
He's been very good with the Giants

His track record for me stands up pretty well - they haven't started the year that well, and clearly just want a new voice/coach

But I think hes pretty good at what he does - and its showed in Finals

Mantis
12-05-2022, 10:47 AM

A massive no thanks.

Has had a list absolutely loaded with talent and the game style implemented is as boring as bat shit and the team have been massive under-achievers.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2022, 10:52 AM
A massive no thanks.

Has had a list absolutely loaded with talent and the game style implemented is as boring as bat shit and the team have been massive under-achievers.

Maybe a little harsh, but I get what you mean.

Counter to that would be somebody like Brendan McCartney - terrible senior coach, highly regarded assistant coach. Perhaps Leon would be better suited to a lesser role, so I wouldn't completely rule it out.

1eyedog
12-05-2022, 11:01 AM
A massive no thanks.

Not easy to get into a GF let alone win one. Probably faced with challenges ranging from players not wanting to be there for various reasons and trying to build a culture as well. Think he's had to wear a few hats which is always a challenge. I think he's done ok. What do they say about a team of champions never beating a champion team? Still, got to a Grand Final. Has bled players since then and has been running to catch up ever since.

SquirrelGrip
12-05-2022, 11:28 AM
Not easy to get into a GF let alone win one. Probably faced with challenges ranging from players not wanting to be there for various reasons and trying to build a culture as well. Think he's had to wear a few hats which is always a challenge. I think he's done ok. What do they say about a team of champions never beating a champion team? Still, got to a Grand Final. Has bled players since then and has been running to catch up ever since.

How well do Chris Grant and Leon Cameron get on these days? They were Captain and Vice Captain together. Would love for Bevo to have a senior assistant/invent your own title to help with some of the heavy lifting. If the Cap allows.

GVGjr
12-05-2022, 11:56 AM
He's been very good with the Giants

His track record for me stands up pretty well - they haven't started the year that well, and clearly just want a new voice/coach

But I think hes pretty good at what he does - and its showed in Finals

Agreed, the pressure builds on coaches and the talk that he deferred contract talks earlier in the season was an indication he was feeling the pressure.

He will find another home.

Axe Man
12-05-2022, 12:32 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/fWVhJ8jr/gws.jpg (https://postimg.cc/qgHFFXFs)

Scraggers
12-05-2022, 01:00 PM
I would happily welcome LC back to the Dogs in a Senior Assistant role to Bevo. I think his knowledge of the game and the intricacies of coaching would be a great asset. His communication skills (based solely on the Netflix series that focussed on Coniglio), are well suited to the role.

Happy Days
12-05-2022, 01:17 PM
If I have any reaction to this, it’s to think that it’s kinda funny, but thought you should all know I just cashed a slab bet on Cameron being the first coach sacked.

G-Mo77
12-05-2022, 01:17 PM
The closest they got was 2016, they were never a chance when they made the GF. 2016 was the one that got away and after Cameron led this team of dirty little snipers I'm so glad it was us that caused the road block. Karma is a bitch Leon, maybe coach to win rather than whack if you ever get another chance.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2022, 01:52 PM
I don’t think he’d fit it with Bevo’s style. That’s not attacking or praising either one but Cameron seems a bit more ‘old school’ and Bevo more alternative (only one Bevo but more about feelings etc). You don’t want everyone to be the same but a similar base needed I think. It’s outside looking in and my read could be way off.

bornadog
12-05-2022, 02:11 PM
The closest they got was 2016, they were never a chance when they made the GF. 2016 was the one that got away and after Cameron led this team of dirty little snipers I'm so glad it was us that caused the road block. Karma is a bitch Leon, maybe coach to win rather than whack if you ever get another chance.

Making Toby Greene Captain, says it all.

Happy Days
12-05-2022, 02:17 PM
As an aside I knew he was done when he sent a double tag to Touk Miller to eek out a win against the Gold Coast Suns at home. If that isn’t a sure sign of a coach on his last legs I don’t know what is.

G-Mo77
12-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Making Toby Greene Captain, says it all.

Or the classic "Playing on the edge" bullshit that spews out of his mouth every time he defends their grubby players.

josie
12-05-2022, 05:47 PM
I understand the angst about Leon and to some extent share it. I’d still be ok if he was an assistant with us if a mix of he & Bevo would work. He was assistant to Eade in some good years for us and I recall was seriously considered before Bevo was made our coach. If he can help with kicking skills - he was a beautiful kick - that would be a bonus.

MrMahatma
12-05-2022, 05:49 PM
I love that Hird's name gets some air time. I mean, how outrageous would that be? All the sacked coaches that don't get another crack and he might?

Wow. Doubt it'll happen.

Ross the boss?

DOG GOD
12-05-2022, 05:51 PM
I love that Hird's name gets some air time. I mean, how outrageous would that be? All the sacked coaches that don't get another crack and he might?

Wow. Doubt it'll happen.

Ross the boss?

It would be an absolute disgrace if Hird coached again, but I guess it’s no different than Steven Smith getting back into the leadership group and captaining again. (What a joke that is).

DOG GOD
12-05-2022, 05:52 PM

Wow. Doubt it'll happen.

Ross the boss?
Clarkson will surely be at GC or GWS next year?

MrMahatma
12-05-2022, 06:01 PM
Clarkson will surely be at GC or GWS next year?

Half a chance that the North role will be available too at this rate. Maybe WC too. Could be a fair bit of change in the system.

Prob not 100% out of the question that Bevo walks away (I think he once said he wasn't a career coach?)

DOG GOD
12-05-2022, 06:05 PM
Half a chance that the North role will be available too at this rate. Maybe WC too. Could be a fair bit of change in the system.

Prob not 100% out of the question that Bevo walks away (I think he once said he wasn't a career coach?)
Would he walk with 1 year to go ?

EasternWest
12-05-2022, 10:19 PM
A massive no thanks.

Plus he seems.like a bit of a prick in my opinion.

MrMahatma
12-05-2022, 11:17 PM
Would he walk with 1 year to go ?

Unlikely but also, nothing out of the question. I guess my point is, Clarko will have his pick, and reckon he’ll coach next year, and he’ll pick a team that can challenge… so he won’t jump at the first available. And there will be more available

FrediKanoute
13-05-2022, 03:47 AM
Maybe a little harsh, but I get what you mean.

Counter to that would be somebody like Brendan McCartney - terrible senior coach, highly regarded assistant coach. Perhaps Leon would be better suited to a lesser role, so I wouldn't completely rule it out.

I think harsh. The problem with a lit loaded with talent is that you have a lot of individuals and not too many who want to play for the team, sacrifice their game for the team. The giants had to weed those guys out. Should have made a granny in 2016 and should probably have won in 2017. They ran into a couple of freak teams

Ghost Dog
13-05-2022, 08:46 AM
Well, he had his chance. Can't say he didn't have the tools to do it.
As an aside, Gold coast should change their colours and design, and become 'The Northern Suns' and include NT.
Just saying.

MrMahatma
13-05-2022, 09:29 AM
Well, he had his chance. Can't say he didn't have the tools to do it.
As an aside, Gold coast should change their colours and design, and become 'The Northern Suns' and include NT.
Just saying.

Nah. North Roos. Easy relocate.

GVGjr
13-05-2022, 02:21 PM
If you were looking at another reason to despise GWS then apparently the AFL has indicated they wouldn't have a problem with James Hird returning to a senior coaching position.
Surely common sense prevails?

azabob
13-05-2022, 02:33 PM
If you were looking at another reason to despise GWS then apparently the AFL has indicated they wouldn't have a problem with James Hird returning to a senior coaching position.

Yep Gilligan McLachlan, I cannot believe it...

macca
14-05-2022, 03:46 PM

No such thing as common sense
Its the common good for those who are in their circle
They will paint it as a comeback story , redemption , someone who has atoned for their sins… bla blah PR spin , nothing less from the pre-fab plastics . maybe even harshly Dealt by the media ( but his a drug cheat )

More I despise City Hall and for Ruining the game

Bulldog Joe
14-05-2022, 04:24 PM

Common sense cannot prevail because it doesn't exist.

If it is common it is not sense. If it is sense it is not common.

Twodogs
14-05-2022, 08:33 PM
I think harsh. The problem with a lit loaded with talent is that you have a lot of individuals and not too many who want to play for the team, sacrifice their game for the team. The giants had to weed those guys out. Should have made a granny in 2016 and should probably have won in 2017. They ran into a couple of freak teams

100%. They had heaps of quality but you need a bit of grunt and some resilience too. Some blokes who have had setback and overcome them on their path to a spot on an AFL list. Blokes who have proved they can dig deep when things are going against you.

]If you were looking at another reason to despise GWS[/B] then apparently the AFL has indicated they wouldn't have a problem with James Hird returning to a senior coaching position.

Not really. I've got plenty of those already thanks. :D

macca
15-05-2022, 09:42 PM
100%. They had heaps of quality but you need a bit of grunt and some resilience too. Some blokes who have had setback and overcome them on their path to a spot on an AFL list. Blokes who have proved they can dig deep when things are going against you.

Not really. I've got plenty of those already thanks. :D
Bring back Sam Reid , call him out of retirement please !

The Doctor
10-08-2022, 03:35 PM
Dogs talking to Leon

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/10/bulldogs-sound-out-former-giants-coach/

SlimPickens
10-08-2022, 03:58 PM
Excellent- Bevo needs some wise heads around him. I'm very supportive of this happening

Happy Days
10-08-2022, 04:14 PM
We got really screwed by both our lead assistance bouncing pretty late in the piece (Hansen especially), and having to replace them with whatever spare parts were going on the settled market couldn’t have been helpful to our season.

So while I don’t know if Cameron is a “good” coach (he’s definitely not a bad one and even those guys sometimes make great assistants) but I’m supportive of the move in general and am grateful for the pseudo-acknowledgement that guys like Webb and Spangher were more panic buys than parachuted in.

Vred
11-08-2022, 12:50 AM
Dogs talking to Leon

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/10/bulldogs-sound-out-former-giants-coach/

Oh hey, looks like my intel from a few weeks ago about Leon and the Dogs reuniting might be on the money :)

MrMahatma
11-08-2022, 08:14 AM
I’m a firm believer that:
A) people get better with at their jobs with experience. He’s had a lot of experience since being at the dogs (and I’ve no reason to believe he wasn’t already a good assistant under Rocket)
B) BUT it’s pretty hard for people to “change” fundamentally. So his way is gonna be his way.

Knowing nothing about the actual strengths of any of the assistants or potential candidates, on paper having an ex-senior coach who has been in a few systems makes sense and sounds like a good move. Bring it on.

GVGjr
11-08-2022, 08:59 AM
Caro is of the impression that Cameron will be staying in NSW due to family commitments so if she is in anyway close to being correct it's very unlikely to see him coming to us unless there is a u turn.

Twodogs
12-08-2022, 01:44 PM
Caro is of the impression that Cameron will be staying in NSW due to family commitments so if she is in anyway close to being correct it's very unlikely to see him coming to us unless there is a u turn.

I don't know how good Caro's rumormill is these days. She's spent most of the year swearing black and blue that Clarkson wouldn't consider going to North but that looks like happening

bornadog
16-08-2022, 03:07 PM
Clarkson has told GWS he is not interested

DOG GOD
16-08-2022, 03:28 PM
Clarkson has told GWS he is not interested
Interesting. So now I guess it’s North or Essendon.
Rumour is he’s looking at a 5 year deal.
What team would have the more realistic chances of multiple finals appearances. Surely Essendon.

GVGjr
16-08-2022, 04:41 PM
Interesting. So now I guess it’s North or Essendon.
Rumour is he’s looking at a 5 year deal.
What team would have the more realistic chances of multiple finals appearances. Surely Essendon.

North should say to him let us now by Thursday if you are considering Essendon and start interviewing other candidates.

I did hear something that GWS were impressed with Yze so they might just move onto him now. He will coach out the balance of the year with Melbourne even if he gets the job with GWS.

McVeigh, Yze and Kingsley are the last three for GWS.

bornadog
22-08-2022, 05:48 PM
Adam Kingsley new coach of GWS

DOG GOD
22-08-2022, 05:56 PM
Hird will end up at Essendon with McVeigh and Solomon as his assistants. You can see it a mile off.

hujsh
22-08-2022, 06:14 PM
Hird will end up at Essendon with McVeigh and Solomon as his assistants. You can see it a mile off.

It's so bizarre that a guy that hasn't coached in what, 7 years, aside from his new part time role at a struggling club is being considered for a head coach position and the guy who was actually coaching the team Hird was part of is meant to be his assistant now.

Bulldog Joe
22-08-2022, 06:16 PM
It's so bizarre that a guy that hasn't coached in what, 7 years, aside from his new part time role at a struggling club is being considered for a head coach position and the guy who was actually coaching the team Hird was part of is meant to be his assistant now.

Only at Essington.

EasternWest
Adam Kingsley new coach of GWS

A long time ago Adam Kingsley's dad joined onto my golf group as we had three and he was solo.

We were scheduled to play 18 holes, but at the end of 9 there were two certainties.

1. We'd finished at 9
2. There was no doubt he was Adam Kingsley's dad.

These two certainties were definitely interconnected.

Now to know how twodogs feels. What a rush.

Grantysghost

Sheedy has got the power now. He changed sides, the faction he joined owes him.
So he gets what he wants. Hird.

Bulldog Joe
22-08-2022, 06:30 PM
A long time ago Adam Kingsley's dad joined onto my golf group as we had three and he was solo.

We were scheduled to play 18 holes, but at the end of 9 there were two certainties.

1. We'd finished at 9

So you are suggesting there is an obvious reason for him being solo.

DOG GOD
22-08-2022, 06:38 PM

All part of the Sheedy plan.

macca
22-08-2022, 06:42 PM
Only at Essington.

Only at Essington street where night is day, and everything is OK to be topsy turvey

I thought about the Frente song Accidently Kelly street, but it would be doing the song a disservice to be associated with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRMVfqqw-xw

EasternWest
22-08-2022, 06:59 PM
So you are suggesting there is an obvious reason for him being solo.

Many years ago on a season of the amazing race there was a guy that started every sentence with something like "when I was in the military" or "if this happens when I was in the military" and I gotta tell you if this guy had reminded us how he was in the military once, then he did it 500 times.

I guess what I'm saying is he was ultra annoying and he still mentioned the military less than Adam Kingsley's Dad mentioned that Adam Kingsley was his son.

I realise that your question didn't require another twodogs lite vignette, but I'm flush with the newfound joy of doing it and am now wondering why I didn't start sooner.

(He actually was nice enough old bloke)

GVGjr
22-08-2022, 07:37 PM
Adam Kingsley has been in the mix for a number of roles and I suspect that if he didn't land one this year he might never get a chance.
He's getting a talented enough list and time will tell if he is good enough.

bornadog
25-08-2022, 05:12 PM
Swans set to sound out Leon Cameron for vacant academy coaching position

azabob
25-08-2022, 05:16 PM
Swans set to sound out Leon Cameron for vacant academy coaching position

Maybe he does want to stay in Sydney.

GVGjr
25-08-2022, 05:22 PM
Maybe he does want to stay in Sydney.

He said he won't leave Sydney this year do to school commitments for his children

Twodogs
26-08-2022, 08:56 PM

1. We'd finished at 9

I could tell you about the last time I played golf and how it's connected to why I no longer play golf I guess. Although I still go down the driving range at Maribyrnong from time to time to see if I can use a five iron to hit the tractor the bloke drives around for target practise.