PDA

View Full Version : Crossy's possession count in Round 1

LostDoggy
26-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Haha.. not to gloat or anything, but I just read over BB's pre-season prediction closed thread and I picked Crossy's Round One possession count of 25 possies... all I did was check out his average from last year which was 24.5 (I wrote 24/25 possies, and he did kick one clanger so I claim my 24.5 as the closest answer in any case) -- thank goodness for his consistency.

Just thought I'd write because it's the only answer we will have for any of the questions in the thread for a while (until the round 5 clash with Richmond at least).

Dry Rot
26-03-2008, 10:01 AM
What did you think of what he did with his possessions?

LostDoggy
26-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Wow. That is a whole other can of worms. I think the official 'clanger' count was only one -- and I'm sure we all remember it -- but there was absolutely no penetration on his kicks and he was always, always looking to hand it off, which Adelaide seemed to have worked out pre-game, and was always closing down his handball options immediately forcing a few bad options. It's like he can't kick long, but is not accurate enough to hit closer targets. His disposal by foot was definitely a problem, and I can't see any real solution apart from Crossy getting better at navigating traffic so that he can get some air to pick a teammate out with a clean handpass (and practicing his kicks). He was doing this better the last couple of years when Westy would get the bulk of the attention, but now that teams (or one team anyway) are closing his space off he has to get even better at wriggling through heavy, fast traffic to get a clean disposal away to a running player.

He did lay four tackles though, and I noticed him really putting his body in at some of the centre clearances to hold the ball up when the Crows got to the ball first. This has to be of at least as much value as the flashy stuff.

Now, if only he wouldn't kick it to no one when delivering into the forward 50 while in acres of space and under no pressure, causing a turnover that goes down the other end of the ground ending up in an opposition goal.

Dancin' Douggy
26-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Wow. That is a whole other can of worms. I think the official 'clanger' count was only one -- and I'm sure we all remember it -- but there was absolutely no penetration on his kicks and he was always, always looking to hand it off, which Adelaide seemed to have worked out pre-game, and was always closing down his handball options immediately forcing a few bad options. It's like he can't kick long, but is not accurate enough to hit closer targets. His disposal by foot was definitely a problem, and I can't see any real solution apart from Crossy getting better at navigating traffic so that he can get some air to pick a teammate out with a clean handpass (and practicing his kicks). He was doing this better the last couple of years when Westy would get the bulk of the attention, but now that teams (or one team anyway) are closing his space off he has to get even better at wriggling through heavy, fast traffic to get a clean disposal away to a running player.

He did lay four tackles though, and I noticed him really putting his body in at some of the centre clearances to hold the ball up when the Crows got to the ball first. This has to be of at least as much value as the flashy stuff.

Now, if only he wouldn't kick it to no one when delivering into the forward 50 while in acres of space and under no pressure, causing a turnover that goes down the other end of the ground ending up in an opposition goal.

Very astute work Lantern.
I've discovered, however, that you can't critisise Daniel Cross on WOOF

GVGjr
26-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Very astute work Lantern.

Not sure why you would say that DD.

No doubt a simple 'Cross is a dud' type comment will cop a stern reaction as it should.
'Cross had a bad day and seemed to struggle with his decision making' will be sensibly debated more times than not.

Mantis put up his reasons why Hargrave, Hahn and Cross need to lift based on last weeks game and I don't see anyone shouting him down mainly because he supported his comments with valid reasons.

Mantis
26-03-2008, 05:00 PM

You can criticise whoever you want, just back it with some reasoning rather than the old BF way, "Cross is shit, cause he just is"

Lantern in his post has used reasoning and examples to back up his points, job well done.

Dancin' Douggy
26-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm referring to a recent thread on our best midfield. I would never criticise a player in that dumb ass way.

GVGjr
26-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm referring to a recent thread on our best midfield. I would never criticise a player in that dumb ass way.

So some people here rate Cross....it still doesn't mean that he can't be criticised when warranted. Supporting any criticism with some facts or valid observations will generally be listened to.

LostDoggy
26-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Surely it's not an either/or proposition? I love Crossy for his endeavour, consistency and attitude, but I can see (and I'm sure he can also) his limitations on the disposal and creativity side of things. It's just having a balanced view of players and the team, right?

I remember an anecdote told by Bobby Robson, former manager of the English football (soccer) team, of the extremism/emotionalism of the English press. He said something like, "When we win, they treat us like the greatest team of all time. When we lose, they treat us like the worst team of all time. Of course, we are neither."

Dancin' Douggy
26-03-2008, 08:09 PM
So some people here rate Cross....it still doesn't mean that he can't be criticised when warranted. Supporting any criticism with some facts or valid observations will generally be listened to.

Oh Really? Have you revisited the thread about our best midfield I was attacked from all sides.

BulldogBelle
26-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Haha.. not to gloat or anything, but I just read over BB's pre-season prediction closed thread and I picked Crossy's Round One possession count of 25 possies... all I did was check out his average from last year which was 24.5 (I wrote 24/25 possies, and he did kick one clanger so I claim my 24.5 as the closest answer in any case) -- thank goodness for his consistency.

Well aren't you the just the smart cookie then? Perhaps we should see if you can predict his possession count for Round 2....go on then, I dare you! :)

GVGjr
26-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Oh Really? Have you revisited the thread about our best midfield I was attacked from all sides.

I remember it well. You mainly had two people challenge you in Sockeye and Westdog and you had three or four agreeing with you on some levels. You were hardly attacked let alone from all sides.

If you want to discuss this further, send me a personal message.

Dancin' Douggy
27-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I remember it well. You mainly had two people challenge you in Sockeye and Westdog and you had three or four agreeing with you on some levels. You were hardly attacked let alone from all sides.

If you want to discuss this further, send me a personal message.

Fair enough, I'm building a bridge.

I'll just state clearly my assessment of Cross.

Crossy Ticks the elite boxes in endurance, courage, possession winning and in and under work. No doubt about that.

His main weakness is obviously his kicking and if you can't kick that well you need to really overcompensate in other areas.
He doesn't create the second possession to set up play like Westy does, he doesn't negotiate heavy traffic and break tackles like Harvey, and he seems to get stage fright when he gets the ball in space.

If Crossy plateaus as a player I fear he will be overtaken by faster more skilled players in our midfield. He needs to bring more to the table to be considered an elite midfielder at this level. Maybe he'll develop into a spiritual leader like Captain Kirk at the Swans. He is obviously a decent and brave young man, rescuing the girl in Hong Kong proved that. I'd like to see him make it but he needs to raise the bar in some fairly major areas of his game.
Having said that, I hope he does and I wish him the best for the year
Over and out:)

The Coon Dog
27-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Fair enough, I'm building a bridge.

I'll just state clearly my assessment of Cross.

Crossy Ticks the elite boxes in endurance, courage, possession winning and in and under work. No doubt about that.

His main weakness is obviously his kicking and if you can't kick that well you need to really overcompensate in other areas.
He doesn't create the second possession to set up play like Westy does, he doesn't negotiate heavy traffic and break tackles like Harvey, and he seems to get stage fright when he gets the ball in space.

If Crossy plateaus as a player I fear he will be overtaken by faster more skilled players in our midfield. He needs to bring more to the table to be considered an elite midfielder at this level. Maybe he'll develop into a spiritual leader like Captain Kirk at the Swans. He is obviously a decent and brave young man, rescuing the girl in Hong Kong proved that. I'd like to see him make it but he needs to raise the bar in some fairly major areas of his game.
Having said that, I hope he does and I wish him the best for the year
Over and out:)

A fairly accurate assessment I would have thought. I noticed something Mantis recently pointed out that he did on the weekend. He broke into space & there was no one running past for a handball receive, so he stopped, propped & copped & waited, by then Adelaide had marshalled the troops.

He quite a decent overhead mark & if he could kick 50 metres, he'd be ideal for little spells up forward, having said that I do think his kicking is improving. It's much better now than 3 years ago.

Dancin' Douggy
27-03-2008, 12:50 PM
A fairly accurate assessment I would have thought. I noticed something Mantis recently pointed out that he did on the weekend. He broke into space & there was no one running past for a handball receive, so he stopped, propped & copped & waited, by then Adelaide had marshalled the troops.

He quite a decent overhead mark & if he could kick 50 metres, he'd be ideal for little spells up forward, having said that I do think his kicking is improving. It's much better now than 3 years ago.

It's a mystery how some little guys like Gilbee and Eagle can boot the ball miles yet other players who look to have stronger legs and hips like Cross and West can't get much length out of a kick. It must be technique. And if it's technique, why can't it be taught? Imagine if Gilbee could teach the whole team to kick like him! We'd be unstoppable. But it seems that bad kicking technique is impossible to 'unteach'.:confused:

hujsh
27-03-2008, 04:33 PM
It's a mystery how some little guys like Gilbee and Eagle can boot the ball miles yet other players who look to have stronger legs and hips like Cross and West can't get much length out of a kick. It must be technique. And if it's technique, why can't it be taught? Imagine if Gilbee could teach the whole team to kick like him! We'd be unstoppable. But it seems that bad kicking technique is impossible to 'unteach'.:confused:

Technique and timing. I doubt timing can be taught

gohardorgohome
29-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Crossy's kicking is his biggest problem for sure. His hard ball gets make up for this somewhat, however kicking accruacy is something that can be worked on. You cannot have a team of Cross like players, hoever his positives far outweigh the negatives.

There is a huge difference from kicking accurately at training and kicking acccurately under pressure and when you are fatigued from running throughout the game.

Maybe this is something that can be worked on, however it is a difficult thing to simulate mid week in the season. It certainly can be worked on this way in the pre season.

Cross has a huge work ethic. I would hope that he is doing extra kicking sessions.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Well aren't you the just the smart cookie then? Perhaps we should see if you can predict his possession count for Round 2....go on then, I dare you! :)

I swear I was going to write 30 (based on his last two games against the Dees), just didn't get it in on time! Haha.

He had 31 possies today in a pretty good game.

bornadog
29-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I swear I was going to write 30 (based on his last two games against the Dees), just didn't get it in on time! Haha.

He had 31 possies today in a pretty good game.

Don't forget the three goals he kicked, that must have doubled his career total

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 07:58 PM
You're not kidding there. He's kicked 14 goals in 86 games (a career high 9 goals in 2006), and only ONE in the last two seasons.

always right
29-03-2008, 08:37 PM
The guy is a legend and WILL be our next captain. Yes he has limitations with his kicking but he is efficient....and smart about it. When he gets the ball on his own and finds himself in plenty of space he doesn't fall for the trap most do and simply blaze away or try and take on the world with pace.

Whe he has the ball I feel confident he will make the right decision. In fact early today when we were overusing the ball rediculously, only Cross, Gilbee, Cooney and Murphy gave me any confidence with their dispposal and decision making.

Oh...and is he the safest overhead mark in our side?

Dancin' Douggy
29-03-2008, 08:45 PM
It was great to see Crossy put three through in a row. Will do wonders for his confidence. Hope he can keep it up.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 08:45 PM
How good was Gilbee early in the wet? He looked like the only player out there who could kick the footy!

(everyone else from both teams was turning it over by foot)

.. his first goal was class. Kicked it out of defence, then ran 50+ metres to receive the ball and kick the goal from just inside the 50.

BulldogBelle
29-03-2008, 08:53 PM
The pressure was on in round one against Adelaide. Adelaide kick forward and Cross goes up uncontested, the ball slips through his fingers and Adelaide goal to get to only 4 points behind with less than 2 minutes to play.

Who said Cross was a good mark? Maybe he is a good mark except when it comes to marking under pressure.

Looked to me like Cross almost had a nervous breakdown when he found himself alone with the ball directly in front of goal last week. Anybody else notice that?

But congratulations to Crossy today. 3 goals were good. Hope he gets a lot more.

BulldogBelle
29-03-2008, 09:00 PM
But congratulations to Crossy today. 3 goals were good. Hope he gets a lot more.

It was good to see Crossy amongst the goals - he looked like he really enjoyed kicking those goals.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 10:07 PM
It was good to see Crossy amongst the goals - he looked like he really enjoyed kicking those goals.

I was really happy for him. Perhaps this is what he needs to get some confidence..
If he turns into a goal kicker he will be one of the ultimate players of the AFL.
Hes another westy in the makeing at this stage.. and has been since he had his first game.
One of Fav players Crossy!

hujsh
29-03-2008, 11:01 PM
How good was Gilbee early in the wet? He looked like the only player out there who could kick the footy!

(everyone else from both teams was turning it over by foot)

.. his first goal was class. Kicked it out of defence, then ran 50+ metres to receive the ball and kick the goal from just inside the 50.

So did he;)

When He kicked from FB and found Johnson

BulldogBelle
30-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I was really happy for him. Perhaps this is what he needs to get some confidence..
If he turns into a goal kicker he will be one of the ultimate players of the AFL.
Hes another westy in the makeing at this stage.. and has been since he had his first game.
One of Fav players Crossy!

Same, one of my favourites also - I just had a look at his goalkicking record he has kicked 14 goals in his 86 game career prior to today...so good to see 3 goals in game no. 87. No wonder he was loving it.

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 12:37 PM
The pressure was on in round one against Adelaide. Adelaide kick forward and Cross goes up uncontested, the ball slips through his fingers and Adelaide goal to get to only 4 points behind with less than 2 minutes to play.

Who said Cross was a good mark? Maybe he is a good mark except when it comes to marking under pressure.

He is an excellent mark, you will find last week was an anomaly and more to do his lack of match fitness.
He took plenty of similar type and other contested marks yesterday.

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 03:25 PM
So did he;)

When He kicked from FB and found Johnson

Haha.. yeah, who promptly kicked a behind from right in front of the sticks.

I forgot about that.. let's hope he doesn't repeat that anytime soon, can't do that against other sides.. we'll be punished.

BulldogBelle
30-03-2008, 08:04 PM
We will just have to disagree about Cross being an excellent mark.

He takes a lot of marks because he is so fit and you will find that he does his best work in the last quarters. He takes a lot of marks also because he has more 'footy intelligence' than most (ie gets where the ball is rather than where it aint). Another factor I think is his intestinal fortitude (G&D), that is very strong.

He is not a great mark, not as good a Josh Hill, Johnno, Lake or Welsh. I can't ever remember him talking an exceptional mark.

A reliable mark I'd say (well, usually reliable).

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I can't ever remember him talking an exceptional mark.

Please watch yesterdays game again. Especially the mark he takes in front of Sylvia(known for his high leaping) at about HF going to the Punt Rd end.

Sockeye Salmon
30-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Cross would be in the top 3 in the club for marking. Only Johnson and Lake are in his league.

GVGjr
30-03-2008, 09:46 PM
We will just have to disagree about Cross being an excellent mark.

He takes a lot of marks because he is so fit and you will find that he does his best work in the last quarters. He takes a lot of marks also because he has more 'footy intelligence' than most (ie gets where the ball is rather than where it aint). Another factor I think is his intestinal fortitude (G&D), that is very strong.

He is not a great mark, not as good a Josh Hill, Johnno, Lake or Welsh. I can't ever remember him talking an exceptional mark.

A reliable mark I'd say (well, usually reliable).

He is certainly not a big mark in the true jump over the opposition players type marks but his ability to back into packs and take marks is pretty damn good.
I agree he takes a lot of marks because of his ability to get away from his opponent but honestly he is a strong contested mark.