PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 2008 Player Focus: Shaun Higgins

westdog54
26-03-2008, 02:42 AM
Having slotted 5 goals against Melbourne last time out, in what was a forgettable night for most Bulldog players, I believe Shaun Higgins to be a highly appropriate player to focus on for this week's match.

We all know how much talent Shaun has. We all know he has wonderful skills, and is extremely dangerous in front of goal. But has he done enough in his short career to warrant the plaudits he gets? During last year he endured constant criticism about his defensive efforts, about his chasing and tackling. Or lack thereof. He averaged less than 2 tackles per game, which, for an aspiring midfielder and a player of his speed is simply not acceptable, regardless of age/experience

I haven't seen a replay of Sunday's game as yet. What I have seen is some rather interesting stats from www.footywire.com (http://www.footywire.com).

In a game where our low number of tackles was criticised, leading the way with 5 of the 34 tackles was none other than #19, S. Higgins.

Is this the year that Higgins steps up and stamps himself as a champion of the future? Against a badly out of form Melbourne, this is his chance to really take the next step in his career?

hujsh
26-03-2008, 03:39 AM
I found that (his number of tackles) interesting as well. He was also the only player with multiple clangers (3). He first impressed me against Collingwood and then again vs Hawthorne. In the match against the Hawks he got us started with 2 goals after everyone else kept kicking points. It was a real shame to see him get injured vs WCE.

Apparently he has improved his aerobic capacity which will take him some way towards being a more frequent member of the midfield rotations or at least help him become more consistent off the HFF.

One of our classiest players i think

Dry Rot
26-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Well done Westdog - thanks for taking up the challenge.

We hope that we'll be able to get someone each week to do a player focus.

I agree that Higgins' defensive efforts aren't flash, but is it just me or do others reckon he's mostly escaped the scrutiny that players like Ray have endured? Has he got off lightly?

Mantis
26-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I thought his defensive efforts were better on the weekend, although on past performances there wasn't much to beat.

I thought he was just being a little bit too cute with the way he used the ball. He tried to kick the 50m pass to a player standing between 3 opponents rather than to take the safe option. He is trying to be creative with his ball use as he is a very good kick, but there is a time and a place for the adventrous kick, but more importantly taking an easy option. I know it looks great when the adventrous kick comes off, but is far better playing the percentages and keeping the ball in our possession.

The kid has talent and as his running ability improves over the years I think we will have a very good player on our hands.

GVGjr
26-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Having slotted 5 goals against Melbourne last time out, in what was a forgettable night for most Bulldog players, I believe Shaun Higgins to be a highly appropriate player to focus on for this week's match.

We all know how much talent Shaun has. We all know he has wonderful skills, and is extremely dangerous in front of goal. But has he done enough in his short career to warrant the plaudits he gets? During last year he endured constant criticism about his defensive efforts, about his chasing and tackling. Or lack thereof. He averaged less than 2 tackles per game, which, for an aspiring midfielder and a player of his speed is simply not acceptable, regardless of age/experience

I haven't seen a replay of Sunday's game as yet. What I have seen is some rather interesting stats from www.footywire.com (http://www.footywire.com).

In a game where our low number of tackles was criticised, leading the way with 5 of the 34 tackles was none other than #19, S. Higgins.

Is this the year that Higgins steps up and stamps himself as a champion of the future? Against a badly out of form Melbourne, this is his chance to really take the next step in his career?

Higgins is a critical player for us this week. We all know that his defensive efforts aren't a strength but as Mantis pointed out, there were some positive signs last week. Perhaps the penny has finally dropped.

Higgins is a dangerous match-up for the Dees because he is such a good goal kicker for someone so young. I really rate his chances of having a good game and something like a 3 goal effort will go a long way towards a comfortable Bulldogs win.

Westdog, where do you see Higgins spending the majority of his time? Forward or in the midfield?

Go_Dogs
26-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I personally thought he looked a lot fitter and was more prepared to work on his defensive efforts throughout the game against the Crows. He spent more time in the middle and although his disposal and leg speed didn't appear as good as it has in the past, I still think he was far from our worst.

He needs to continue to build up his motor and his application for the harder aspects of the game. He can finish really well and that is what he needs to be doing regularly, making the right decisions and hitting the targets/kicking the goals.

Just on his leg speed though - did anyone else think he looked slower acceleration wise this year?

westdog54
26-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Higgins is a critical player for us this week. We all know that his defensive efforts aren't a strength but as Mantis pointed out, there were some positive signs last week. Perhaps the penny has finally dropped.

Higgins is a dangerous match-up for the Dees because he is such a good goal kicker for someone so young. I really rate his chances of having a good game and something like a 3 goal effort will go a long way towards a comfortable Bulldogs win.

Westdog, where do you see Higgins spending the majority of his time? Forward or in the midfield?

I'd have him playing off half-forward. I think that's where he can do the most damage.

With the number of players queuing up for a starting spot in the square I think Higgins has to work very hard on the field to warrant a spot in there. He's a long way behind West, Cooney, Cross, Boyd and Aker in that regard.

With Higgins playing off half forward, you can have the best of both worlds. He can start closer to goal, and drift into the middle as the game flows. I'd start with Higgins and Gia on opposite flanks.

1eyedog
26-03-2008, 01:21 PM
The future Brad Johnson.

Cyberdoggie
26-03-2008, 01:36 PM
i thought he had a shocker of a game.

He turned the ball over with his poor disposal on nearly every possesion.

Admittedly it was a different role for him playing further up the ground but he made a lot of very simple errors.

Hopefully he'll have a better week against the dees.

westdog54
26-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Shaun was just on SEN, took the opportunity to ring up and congratulate him on leading the tackle count, and he acknowledged it as the area in his game Rocket has told him to improve on, so he was happy to have laid as many tackles as he did.

Sockeye Salmon
26-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Shaun was just on SEN, took the opportunity to ring up and congratulate him on leading the tackle count, and he acknowledged it as the area in his game Rocket has told him to improve on, so he was happy to have laid as many tackles as he did.

He also said he found out about round 20 last year that his iron levels were about half what they should be.

He said it's made a pretty big difference.

Thanks for the text, Twodogs. (why can't I put in one of those thumbs-up thingies?)

LostDoggy
26-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm not the first to point this out, but Shaun reminds me most of a young Ben Cousins playing predominantly off half-forward, bursting forward to kick goals. If you check out Cousin's playing stats year by year, in his first few years his goal and tackle ratios (34 goals and 24 tackles in 20 games in his first year, then 22 goals and 21 tackles in 18 games in his second year) are very similar to Shaun's, which, as someone already pointed out, is less than 2 a game. It's partly the role they play(ed), and the fact that at that age, with their gut-busting game style it's really hard to back up those bursts with a turnaround and chase and tackle. It's not an issue of laziness as much as it is one of fatigue and physical underdevelopment. Of course we would like them to apply more pressure immediately but sometimes our expectations can be a bit unrealistic.

I think also playing in the forwardline the main focus is to run hard to create goals and when the ball is turned over it is just a really hard mental and physical effort to continually turn and chase. I mean, Johnno is constantly being criticized for this, but I think it's partially a knock-on effect of his playing style and the position he plays in and just the reality of physical limits.

Playing predominantly in the middle however gives more of an opportunity to tackle as there are more stoppages and close-in passages of play where players are not operating all the time at full speed and are better placed and balanced to tackle other players. Playing a lot more in the middle may explain Shaun's higher tackle count last Sunday. Cousin's stats changed markedly as he developed into a complete midfield player and his tackle count increased steadily until 2002 (his SEVENTH season) where he kicked 19 goals and laid 57 tackles playing as a full-time centreman.

In his role, at this stage of his development, Shaun's stats and effort deserves praise, not criticism. I, too, would love to see much more from him, but my expectation is tempered by the reality of player development -- it takes every player time to become an elite player, and he has only been in the system for a few short years. I have no doubt that his attitude and application puts him in good stead for the rest of his career.

LostDoggy
26-03-2008, 05:58 PM
btw, Shaun's tackle count in 2006 (his last full season) was 38, higher than Cousin's tackle count in his last four seasons in the AFL, and I doubt anyone would say Ben was lazy or soft on the field.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Nice post there Lantern.

Higgins looked better on Sunday in regards to his fitness and workrate, especially defensively, but there were still a few times where he needed to push that little bit harder to cover an Adelaide player.

Still, it was encouraging to see Higgins improve in an area that he needs to. His skills and decision making were well down, but you don't mind, you know he's got that in bundles of quality and you'd expect that to return this week. He'll become an extremely dangerous midfielder if he can add a good defensive game - which I'm sure he will over the next season or two.

He's not as fast as Cooney or Griffen, but he probably reads the play better and positions himself better. Genuine crumber of the footy too so whilst he isn't explosive, he's got the tools to get around that and still be a very damaging midfielder/half forward now & in the future.

The pleasing thing is whilst his defensive game needs improving, he's definitely not soft and goes hard when he has to. Probably why he's being thrown into the middle too, because he's prepared to take the bumps and go again.

LostDoggy
26-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Well done Westdog - thanks for taking up the challenge.

We hope that we'll be able to get someone each week to do a player focus.

I agree that Higgins' defensive efforts aren't flash, but is it just me or do others reckon he's mostly escaped the scrutiny that players like Ray have endured? Has he got off lightly?

The fact that he is a regular goal kicker has allowed Sean to escape some criticism. I don't feel it's fair to single Sean out for lack of defensive efforts, as I feel that's one area where a large contingent of our players could use some improvement.

One query I've always had of Sean is his speed, however he seemed to possess some pace when I finally watched him live on Sunday. Has he improved his pace or are my initial thoughts correct?

Overall, Sean is a gun in the making!!!

Go_Dogs
26-03-2008, 08:51 PM
The fact that he is a regular goal kicker has allowed Sean to escape some criticism. I don't feel it's fair to single Sean out for lack of defensive efforts, as I feel that's one area where a large contingent of our players could use some improvement.

One query I've always had of Sean is his speed, however he seemed to possess some pace when I finally watched him live on Sunday. Has he improved his pace or are my initial thoughts correct?

Overall, Sean is a gun in the making!!!

Shaun, not Sean. I know I'm being fussy. ;)

hujsh
26-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I think also playing in the forwardline the main focus is to run hard to create goals and when the ball is turned over it is just a really hard mental and physical effort to continually turn and chase. I mean, Johnno is constantly being criticized for this, but I think it's partially a knock-on effect of his playing style and the position he plays in and just the reality of physical limits.

I wish i could express my points like you can Lantern.

Dancin' Douggy
26-03-2008, 09:35 PM

Well said. I find it hard to cop when Johnno is criticised for his 2nd and 3rd efforts. If you're watching closely, they are more like his 7th and 8th efforts. He's already led, doubled back, led again flown for a contested mark, got hammered by a " gorilla", attempted to crumb his own ball, shepherded, created space, had another crack and is still expected to chase down and tackle a defender. The poor bastard is exhausted. And playing as a leading forward you need something in the tank for an explosive lead if the ball suddenly comes back from a midfield turnover.

FrediKanoute
26-03-2008, 10:56 PM
i thought he had a shocker of a game.

He turned the ball over with his poor disposal on nearly every possesion.

Admittedly it was a different role for him playing further up the ground but he made a lot of very simple errors.

Hopefully he'll have a better week against the dees.

I don't think he was as bad as everyone made out. If you look up shocker in the dictionary I'm certain it had "Addison; Wight" listed as the definition. His disposal let him down, but then he wasn't alone as the terrible turnovers in the 2nd and 3rd were team wide.

If anything I'd say that Higgins was played a little out of position in the backline and he is preferable up the ground. he went into the centre at times and was good indicating to me that he is moving towards a more permament midfield role.

Mantis
26-03-2008, 11:33 PM
If anything I'd say that Higgins was played a little out of position in the backline and he is preferable up the ground. he went into the centre at times and was good indicating to me that he is moving towards a more permament midfield role.

But we are getting to the point that we don't have enough small/ mid-sized defenders and too many midfielders and small forwards.

By necessity Boyd spent a fair bit of time in defence and West was even down ther for 10 or 15 min. Playing a variety of roles can only be good for Shaun's development as a player.

hujsh
26-03-2008, 11:45 PM
But we are getting to the point that we don't have enough small/ mid-sized defenders and too many midfielders and small forwards.

By necessity Boyd spent a fair bit of time in defence and West was even down ther for 10 or 15 min. Playing a variety of roles can only be good for Shaun's development as a player.

I doubt that was what Eade wanted. I think he may have been tagging

LostDoggy
27-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Well said. I find it hard to cop when Johnno is criticised for his 2nd and 3rd efforts. If you're watching closely, they are more like his 7th and 8th efforts. He's already led, doubled back, led again flown for a contested mark, got hammered by a " gorilla", attempted to crumb his own ball, shepherded, created space, had another crack and is still expected to chase down and tackle a defender. The poor bastard is exhausted. And playing as a leading forward you need something in the tank for an explosive lead if the ball suddenly comes back from a midfield turnover.

EXACTLY. If anything, the guy tries too hard sometimes when things aren't coming off instead of relaxing a bit. Rocket says as much.

LostDoggy
27-03-2008, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the kudos mate. ;)

Sockeye Salmon
27-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I doubt that was what Eade wanted. I think he may have been tagging

West was tagging Thompson for a while so Thompson took him to the square.

Dry Rot
27-03-2008, 11:57 PM

Yes, didn't Aker start his career somewhere in the backline?

hujsh
28-03-2008, 12:11 AM

Apparently. Played back in 06 when he was struggling

Sockeye Salmon
28-03-2008, 12:21 AM

In the old Bears days Aker started out as a back pocket

Dry Rot
28-03-2008, 12:24 AM

How many Bears players are still playing? Can't be many, surely.

hujsh
28-03-2008, 12:35 AM

He played with the Bears? I thought he was always a Lion and Lethal stated him back. Bloody media

Sockeye Salmon
28-03-2008, 10:12 AM
How many Bears players are still playing? Can't be many, surely.

Aker, Nigel Lappin & Daniel Bradshaw.

Rodney Eade and Ross Lyon are ex-Brisbane players currently coaching.

mjp
28-03-2008, 10:53 AM

The main focus is to run hard and create goals as a defender and midfielder as well. 1st effort or 9th effort, if a forward allows the opposition to run the ball out of the backline under NO pressure, that player WILL hit a target by hand or by foot. And this will often also lead to a goal to the opposition.

The best way to create goals is to actually have the ball...and the only way to get it back, is to chase after the opposition when they have it. If the forwards aren't doing this, they are letting their team-mates down. And for those people watching the game, if you accept your forwards will do this then you had better lay off the mids and backs - they WILL look terrible on a turnover because the forwards aren't pressuring the ball carrier...

In fact, that whole scenario sounds like what was loosely termed our 'forward line' last year.

I am interested in the Johnson comment, as I would have said he DID chase. What I have criticised him for in the past is his seeming refusal to shepherd and instead peel off for a handball receive. You aren't allowed to say that out loud though because it means:

1/.You are disloyal to the Dogs.
2/.You are disrespecting the almighty.
3/.You don't understand that by peeling off for the handball Johnno is really showing he is the only one prepared to take 'responsibility' for kicking a goal. (This one comes out when we have been struggling for a win.)

As for Higgins and his 38 tackles, that only goes to show that many stats are not all that useful...he openly admitted that the coaching staff had been critical of him in this area. And to suggest that the role he has played in the past two seasons involved any kind of 'gut-busting running' is pure fantasy-he has been playing as a forward pocket and has had regular spells on the bench. His lack of physical pressure stems from the fact that he has been a superstar since age 6 and the idea of actually doing something whenever he DIDN'T have the ball would never have been mentioned too him (except maybe in passing) by any of his junior coaches...after all, if you are touching it 40 times and kicking 5 goals a week, what is there really to complain about.

Higgins is just a kid and is still learning. He is going to be a very good player for us for a long, long time. And his defensive pressure and effectiveness will improve as he matures and continues to develop his understanding of what is required to be part of a successful team, rather than being focussed on what is required to get a kick.

LostDoggy
28-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Very astute mjp. I can't disagree with anything you've written. I think we're both approaching similar things from different angles.

There is NO question that Shaun had to improve in his defensive efforts, as he and the coaching staff have both commented on. I was, however, using some stats to get a comparison with a (to my mind anyway) similar type player early in his career, as I thought it may be useful to have some sort of yardstick.

I don't think anyone can dispute that Johnno doesn't shepherd. Even in the last game there were passages of play where he was running alongside a teammate and calling for a pass instead of protecting the ball carrier.

Regarding 'gut-busting running', there was an article this week about Bock and the effects of 'acute' fatigue vs. 'accumulated' fatigue. There should definitely be no reason Shaun be under any 'accumulated' fatigue issue in the past few years as he has only played, as you said, mjp, off the bench in bursts. However, both he and Johnno do have passages of play where they go flat out to get into space etc, and in flat-out, non aerobic sprinting there is a use of non-oxygen, non-mitochondrial based Adenosine 5'-triphosphate (ATP) that lasts about 5 seconds, that once is used up means that the body cannot sprint effectively again until aerobic respiration allows ATP to build up again. The key to avoid this is to become fit and fast enough that you are running at aerobic capacity most of the time rather than having to go flat out, thus someone like Riewoldt doing multiple leads would not be sprinting at top capacity all the leads, but running just slow enough so that he is operating at aerobic capacity (like a fast long distance runner instead of a sprinter, so to speak).

Thus you see the best movers in the forward line like Macleod etc all move below their top pace and rely on aerobic endurance. Johnno and Shaun, though seem to tend to run at top speed a lot in the forward 50, so that once their ATP is used up, they literally cannot physically turn and sprint again, so when they do go they look slow and lazy and sluggish. A younger player like Shaun though can (theoretically) build up his aerobic capacity to the stage where he can run almost as fast without having to sprint all out.

Actually I do think that the coaching staff have been working on this with Shaun over the pre-season, to use his kicking, game awareness and movement to influence the game rather than just pure speed (some have commented that he looked 'slower' in the last game), and is therefore better placed to lay tackles, put in second/third efforts etc.