PDA

View Full Version : AFL crowds slump to lowest levels in 26 years, excluding COVID seasons

bornadog
23-05-2022, 11:35 PM
link (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-crowds-slump-to-lowest-levels-in-26-years-excluding-covid-seasons-20220523-p5anq3.html)

Football fans have expressed frustration about ticketing issues and over-umpiring in response to figures that reveal AFL crowds are at their lowest in 26 years, excluding the past two COVID-ravaged seasons.

While it would be unrealistic to expect attendances to bounce back to record-breaking pre-pandemic levels, given COVID case numbers have remained high, crowds in 2022 are, on average, at their lowest since 1996, when fewer than 30,000 people per match attended the footy.

That is despite a strong turnout for round one, when an average of 40,000 people flocked to the first nine games of the season.

Across 90 games of football so far this season, attendances have averaged 30,517, well below the 2019 pre-pandemic average of 35,122 across the full 23-round season, which was a record-breaking year for total attendance across a home-and-away season.

The state of the game is one reason, according to Julian Farrell, the chant leader for the Sydney Swans’ cheer squad. Cheryl Critchley, president of the AFLFA, says other reasons include lingering COVID issues, the cost of going to the footy versus the convenience of watching at home, ticketing issues, and the rolling fixture.

The number of daily new COVID-19 cases in Victoria has not dropped below 7500 in the past 28 days, while WA and SA have experienced their highest COVID case numbers in 2022. Perth’s Optus Stadium operated at reduced capacity through the first seven rounds.

The AFL also froze general admission tickets for all MCG and Marvel Stadium matches and introduced a new $50 family membership in 2022.

But Sunday’s Giants and Eagles clash in Sydney drew just 5057 people, less than the 6040 who attended the Dogs and Suns contest in Ballarat a day earlier.

Meanwhile, the Dreamtime at the ’G game had a crowd of 70,226, the second lowest recorded since 2011.

Only round 10, 2016, when the Tigers were 3-6 and the Bombers were 1-8, have fewer people (56,948) gone to the MCG to see the two sides in the Dreamtime fixture since 2011.

The AFL lauded footy fans for returning in high numbers in round one, which averaged crowds of 40,321 across the nine games.

But the season-opening round appears an outlier. Round three, which included Melbourne’s win over Essendon, Geelong’s clash with Collingwood and the blockbuster between Carlton and Hawthorn, drew an average of 35,777 across the nine matches.

The next highest round was in round five, when 31,701 on average attended the nine games.

Geelong’s GMHBA Stadium is, however, operating at a reduced capacity due to redevelopment.

But Farrell said the brand of footy and umpiring can’t be underestimated for the crowd figures.

“The flowing end-to-end spectacles you used to get are gone,” Farrell said.

“Now we not only have 15-20 players around each ball-up, and umpires are hyper-eager to pick out soft free kicks to try to open the game up.

“This 50-metre penalty thing is the straw that broke the camel’s back. There isn’t a shortage of umpires in junior and community footy because of excess abuse, it is because there hasn’t been footy in town for three years. People have moved onto other things.”

Farrell said there were other Swans members who struggled with the digital ticketing system.

“I’m very au fait with the internet, mobile phones and apps,” he said.

“I’m slowly getting used to digital ticketing. But how are older people supposed to know how to download their tickets each week? They are being told, ‘don’t come any more. Footy isn’t for you’.”

Other members have lost their regular reserved seat, according to Critchley.

Port Adelaide cheer squad member Celine Palmer said she attends home games, but the floating fixture has stopped her from travelling interstate to Power games.

“I am going to miss travelling to Perth (in round 16) for the game because I can’t get the Monday off from work,” Palmer said.

“With a proper fixture, I put in as soon as they come out for days off as needed. Really, I’m peed off after COVID slammed us and not being able to go to games I miss now because of this rolling crap.”

Critchley said COVID-19 was still a factor for people who had to isolate and for others who “may have a lingering apprehension about being in crowds”.

But she said scheduling - such as Thursday night games - public transport issues and the cost of going to the footy were among other factors which deterred people from going to games.

Richmond fan Travis Frost says while he still attends games, that doesn’t mean the AFL shouldn’t fix ticketing and scheduling issues.

Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are the only clubs averaging higher home-and-away attendances in 2022 compared with 2019, according to AFL Tables, although that figure factors in the 58,002 who attended the season-opener between the two sides.

The past two Friday night games at Marvel Stadium - the Western Bulldogs’ win over Collingwood and Carlton’s win over Sydney - were also sold out with only standing room tickets available.

There were no games held at Homebush or in Cairns in 2019, both of which have hosted matches in 2022.

bornadog
23-05-2022, 11:37 PM
I have said it many times, AFL slowly killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Biggest issues as I see it are:

* The rule changes - specifically the Hocking introduced ones

* Ticketing - People find it a nightmare to get tickets. Need to go back to old system

Grantysghost
23-05-2022, 11:41 PM
I have said it many times, AFL slowly killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

* Ticketing - People find it a nightmare to get tickets. Need to go back to old system

Only 13k at Roos v Dees and that was generous. Had half the top level closed.

bornadog
23-05-2022, 11:43 PM
Only 13k at Roos v Dees and that was generous. Had half the top level closed.

Dees supporters weak as

macca
23-05-2022, 11:45 PM

I hate all the stupid rule changes which opens the game to misinterpretation. And yes, it has killed momentum in several games this year.

I struggle to watch any games outside WB vs anyone. I use to watch 2-3 games on TV every weekend. Friday night being one of my favorites.

If they have stuffed ticketing, then that is just POOR planning. With the money that the AFL have its not hard to setup an efficient ticketing system.

I say this as I work in IT systems development.

The goose is just getting so fat and lazy now... its struggling to lay anymore eggs.

Daughter of the West
24-05-2022, 12:14 AM

The horrendous "game day entertainment/match experience/pulsating light show and deafening bullshit sprouted at every available opportunity/betting ads"

I hated it when they brought in the stupid LED fence advertising, let alone all the other palava that's followed it since. If I wanted to go to a nightclub and shout to make myself heard to my friends, I would do that rather than going to the football.

And then the betting ads. F**k off. I now can't even put the highlights on for my pups without a betting ad popping up first.

Apologies, I digress.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2022, 12:33 AM
Ticketing is a massive issue. You need to use apps and navigate your way through it. For an AFL membership you used to have a card you could just swipe and get into any walk up game. Now there is a different digital barcode for every game! Digital should make things easier not more difficult. It’s find for me, but my 70+ father has basically given up. It’s just too hard for him to work out.

hujsh
24-05-2022, 03:01 AM
Honestly, I haven't been to a game since Covid hit and don't imagine myself doing so any time soon unless a specific opportunity arises (Dad has a mate who has known Buku for a years. So I'd go with him if Buku is playing if he had spare tickets)

The footy is cold, loud, annoying (both fans and advertisements/lights) it doesn't pause at my convenience, I can't skip ahead when an opposition player is having a shot at goal, the game is frustrating to watch, my team is frustrating to watch and I now have to pay and organise my ticket rather than walk straight in with my membership.

Watching at home just seems so much better.

jazzadogs
24-05-2022, 09:03 AM
For the first time I can remember, I chose not to go to a game that I had availability to attend (vs Essendon). I had nothing on, I had tickets organised, but I just chose to stay home instead.

The sad part is I don't enjoy the tv coverage either, but the match day experience is still much improved when I don't have to leave my couch.

Bulldog Joe
24-05-2022, 09:17 AM
I think for me the biggest issue is the floating fixture.

I need to plan ahead with my schedule, but because I don't know when the football will be on I take other commitments and then can't attend.

I missed the game against Gold Coast and have a commitment now on the Friday night of Geelong. I am actually going to Sydney the weekend of the GWS game but can't get there now until the Sunday. I also have a commitment in Tasmania the week after and have just managed to fit in the Hawthorn game only because it is Friday night.

Previously, with a set schedule, I could arrange everything to fit with the football.

GVGjr
24-05-2022, 10:10 AM
I don't think it's umpiring or much else but after two years of missing many games people are used to watching things from home.
Club memberships are going exceptionally well.
The trick is how to motivate fans to get back to the games.

bornadog
24-05-2022, 10:14 AM
The horrendous "game day entertainment/match experience/pulsating light show and deafening bullshit sprouted at every available opportunity/betting ads"

I hated it when they brought in the stupid LED fence advertising, let alone all the other palava that's followed it since. If I wanted to go to a nightclub and shout to make myself heard to my friends, I would do that rather than going to the football.

And then the betting ads. F**k off. I now can't even put the highlights on for my pups without a betting ad popping up first.

Apologies, I digress.

One of the reasons I enjoy going to Ballarat is because you don't get all that so called match day experience.

Grantysghost
24-05-2022, 10:25 AM
One of the reasons I enjoy going to Ballarat is because you don't get all that so called match day experience.

Agree BAD, I know nostalgia is a wily temptress but man I love that old school football experience.

The only gameday experience i need is the game.

I enjoy the VFL/AFLw for the same reason.

Those electronic advertising boards drive me spare.

jeemak
24-05-2022, 11:03 AM

Although the Ballarat game I went to against Brisbane last year was still marred by incessant screaming over the PA.

The stupid thing about the so called match day experience is that post lockdowns and isolation people aren't actually wanting to be yelled at and blinded by flashing lights, rather, they want to reintegrate more slowly. If you have people wanting to integrate into crowds slowly, why would you over-arouse their senses?

mjp
24-05-2022, 11:51 AM
Fix the stupid rule changes.

- 3rd man up
- 6-6-6
- Stand
- Protected area
- Dissent (though I have to say this doesn't bother me too much)
- BS rule that meant Tom Mitchell somehow gave away a free kick for half-shoving someone in the side on Sunday avo.

This would seriously take approximately 5.3 seconds.

As for the crowds, between the COVID experience, COVID related ticketing changes AND the fact that the best side in the league has literally zero supporters whilst some well-supported ones (West Coast, Essendon) are absolutely putrid is contributing...

Some of the footy has been breathtaking but that Lions/Hawks game Sunday - which *should* have been amazing, was so over-umpired that it sucked all of the enjoyment out of the game.

bornadog
24-05-2022, 11:54 AM
Fix the stupid rule changes.

- 3rd man up
- 6-6-6
- Stand
- Protected area
- Dissent (though I have to say this doesn't bother me too much)
- BS rule that meant Tom Mitchell somehow gave away a free kick for half-shoving someone in the side on Sunday avo.

This would seriously take approximately 5.3 seconds.

As for the crowds, between the COVID experience, COVID related ticketing changes AND the fact that the best side in the league has literally zero supporters whilst some well-supported ones (West Coast, Essendon) are absolutely putrid is contributing...

Some of the footy has been breathtaking but that Lions/Hawks game Sunday - which *should* have been amazing, was so over-umpired that it sucked all of the enjoyment out of the game.

Hocking rules all suck.

Other rules that need to be looked at are:

1. Chopping the arms. - This was brought in to stop defenders purposely chopping arms in a marking contest. Now what happens, is everytime two players are going for a mark and one accidently touches the others arms it is a free. I can guarantee that every marking contest this happens and often it is free kick after free kick. The players aren't robots.

2. Kicking out from square - go back to old rule instead of forcing everyone 25m away and letting the player kicking out run 25m without bouncing. Just pushes the congestion further up the ground.

3. Deliberate out of bounds. The ball is oval, it will bounce all over the place, so frustrating watching these.

4. taking the feet out. This was brought in to stop players sliding in feet first. It is now paid for a player falling over the back of the player actually on the ground going for the ball.

The game is not better, it is just different than what footy was for 100 years.

If you listen to talk back, most calls are about all these rules and the interpretation

Rocco Jones
24-05-2022, 11:57 AM
When I hear the commentary about why crowds are down, it seems a lot go with one definitive answer. For mine, it's fan engagement death by a thousand cuts. Some of them, as I see it:

- Covid. Two major parts
1/ getting back into the swing/habit
2/ way more common surely and probably the biggest reason of all, fans just getting used to watching it home

- 'Match Day Experience'
A few have mentioned the noise over the PA, it's just a very artificial experience in general. In Melbourne we have lost the local grounds and all the organic feels that go with that. The pay off was games being at elite stadia. Thing is, compare these to stadiums around the world. The bars, the restaurants, entertainment in general... it is non existent, generic or annoying. My daughter is a coeliac and there was one gluten free option at Marvel.

Bars have no real vibe or feel other than just trying to sell as much booze as possible. Food options are completely cynical, just there to make as much money as possible. Of course I get this from the venders POV. AFL making as much money as possible but it's really short sighted. Marvel and it's surrounding Docklands precinct could not be more sterile.

- Ticketing. A few reasons that are at the very least annoying:
1/ those missing membership cards, but more so, the hassle with different barcodes
2/ how bad the ticketing agencies are with sites crashing
3/ cynical distribution of seats, releasing better seats later on and all that (idk if others experience it but I do. Means I try a few times. Many would surely just give up)

- The rule changes

- Media negativity. They are often right to be negative. I'm going to tie in the rules into this too. The rule changes are annoying, frustrating but I feel made a bigger part of the narrative by our media. Footy media gets infested by the Triple M demog type, the type that bought us 'worst on ground'. If given an equal opportunity to celebrate or attack something, our media will nearly always go with negativity. The vibe around footy is generally so negative from the media whatever is happening for mine (again, definitely feel there is a fair bit to be negative about but I just feel the AFL media is negative no matter what).

- all those things (and more) surely just creating a cycle/culture of not going, which will keep growing if changes aren't made.

Dancin' Douggy
24-05-2022, 12:43 PM
I am 100% with you DOTW. It has a driven me away from the game. They never stop yelling at you. You can't talk to your friends. There's no natural breathing space after a goal. Everything is drowned out and smothered in unnecessary and intrusive noise. It's killing my joy of going to the footy.

Apologies, I digress.

The bulldog tragician
24-05-2022, 02:38 PM
I am 100% with you DOTW. It has a driven me away from the game. They never stop yelling at you. You can't talk to your friends. There's no natural breathing space after a goal. Everything is drowned out and smothered in unnecessary and intrusive noise. It's killing my joy of going to the footy.

Marvel sent me a survey about my “match day experience.” Ok, I thought, a chance to have my say. I answered the first few questions making clear my dislike of the noise, the screeching, the incessant gambling ads and the flashing lights. The survey went on. And on. Basically asking the same questions, so I thought I’d scroll past and get to the end, having made my points. With typical officiousness I was told I MUST answer every question or my answers were invalid so five more minutes were added to my time giving the same response.

For all that, absolutely no change has been seen and if other poor souls collapsed and died at their computer before finishing the stupid thing, some whizz from the marketing dept could still happily conclude that everyone LOVES the experience.

It felt like everything wrong with footy, a fake consultation and “engagement” which is then ignored and disregarded. Just stop pretending you care what we think. We know you don’t.

G-Mo77
24-05-2022, 05:18 PM

Apologies, I digress.

Make sure they gamble responsibly. Sorry, bad joke. It is breeding a generation of gamblers though which is a real worry. I personally don't bet at all, I figured early on I dislike working and I have to go there to earn money, why would I just throw it away like that?

Anyway, rules changes etc are probably driving attendance down more each week but IMO it was always going to be a slow rise back after COVID.

How are other sports around Australia fairing? I know the Melbourne teams in the NBL didn't do that great this season in terms of attendance.

Hotdog60
24-05-2022, 06:45 PM
I'm interstate so my viewing experience is on TV and the flashing lights drives me nuts so pity you poor souls live.
The problem with Australian in general is we've gone done an Americanised scene with our sports and are trying to follow the glitz and glamour and it sucks I never watch any of the pre game stuff on grand final day.
I like a lot of others I used to watch a lot of VFL to the AFL over the years and now they have driven me to just the odd game if I'm bored and the Dogs games. If the Dogs go so do I.

Dry Rot
26-05-2022, 07:15 PM

Apologies, I digress.

How many times can I like this post?

1eyedog
26-05-2022, 08:19 PM
For the first time I can remember, I chose not to go to a game that I had availability to attend (vs Essendon). I had nothing on, I had tickets organised, but I just chose to stay home instead.

The sad part is I don't enjoy the tv coverage either, but the match day experience is still much improved when I don't have to leave my couch.

I haven't gone to a game this year and I'm unlikely to. Daughter of the west summed up my thoughts succinctly. I consider my Gold Membership a donation to the club.

josie
26-05-2022, 08:25 PM

Apologies, I digress.

Perfect summation DoW. American rah rah is just blah blah. I reckon if a petition with this wording was started across all clubs it is likely 50% or more supporters would sign it.

Hotdog60
26-05-2022, 09:29 PM
All it needs is for someone to have an Epileptic fit and gets injured. Who in their bright minds thinks this is a good thing.

DOG GOD
27-05-2022, 05:53 PM
Sport in the US is like a rock concert. The AFL want that experience. Living interstate I’ve only attended one game this year..against Sydney, and experienced the lights which to be honest I didn’t mind, and I liked the atmosphere of it.

I think another thing that isn’t helping is the amount of one sided games. With north, WC and Essendon getting flogged most weeks, it seems that there aren’t that many exciting games, and I normally watch 5-6 games live a week as I don’t work weekends. Most of those I don’t watch the whole games coz they are over by 3 qtr time.

But for mine, the biggest issues revolve around the rules. We know what they are so I don’t have to go into them again. At the end of the day, the hocking rules suck, and it’s destroying the game.