PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 12, 2022 vs Geelong

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2022, 11:19 AM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in tonight's round 12 match against Geelong. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'

westbulldog
03-06-2022, 11:48 PM
McComb's 3rd 1/4 miss from 30m out directly in front after a wonderful effort from Bailey Smith to get it to him. A goal would have got us to within 6 points and with all the momentum.

The bulldog tragician
03-06-2022, 11:58 PM
Probably the free to Richards being called back to where he was poleaxed. We should have had a goal, instead our momentum spluttered and in the ensuing melee Baz gets reported ensuring a week of high drama and media salivation,

Honourable mention: Treloar keeping the ball alive. Why oh why…

bornadog
04-06-2022, 12:01 AM
Probably the free to Richards being called back to where he was poleaxed. …

That is the moment for me as well. We kept them to 2 points that quarter and another goal and momentum would be with us. Disgusting umpiring.

kruder
04-06-2022, 12:03 AM
That is the moment for me as well. We kept them to 2 points that quarter and another goal and momentum would be with us. Disgusting umpiring.

Umpire decent Bad thats 50.

bornadog
04-06-2022, 12:08 AM
Umpire decent Bad thats 50. very funny :D

We didn't lose the game due to umpiring but it is very difficult to go to a match and watch the game with the way umpires umpire.

As for the goal umpires they are big dopes. The guy is standing less than a metre from the goal post and he has to check the technology to see if the ball hit the post - wow.

The down field one was paid in the last when Dekoning faked a fall after Libba barely touched him. It happened right in front of me - a joke.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-06-2022, 12:11 AM
McComb's 3rd 1/4 miss from 30m out directly in front after a wonderful effort from Bailey Smith to get it to him. A goal would have got us to within 6 points and with all the momentum.

Yep, this for me as well. It was an inspiring piece of play that I reckon meant that kick by McComb was worth more than 6 points. It carried a heavy weight attached to it. Real shame McComb couldn't finish it. You could see Baz slightly drop his head, just after McComb missed.

Grantysghost
04-06-2022, 12:36 AM
First 5 mins when Stewart and De Koning were intercepting our errant entries with ease.

SonofScray
04-06-2022, 12:44 AM
Two for me.

The first miss, after working hard to break the fact Cats defenders were swallowing everything.

Then McComb’s miss. In isolation, it’s a disgrace. In context, it’s cost us the game.

AshMac
04-06-2022, 07:41 AM

This was mine too. The momentum killer. They scored a goal shortly after at beginning of last qtr. 12 point goal

comrade
04-06-2022, 07:47 AM

Yep, this for me as well. It was an inspiring piece of play that I reckon meant that kick by McComb was worth more than 6 points. It carried a heavy weight attached to it. Real shame McComb couldn't finish it. You could see Baz slightly drop his head, just after McComb missed.

Definitely a key moment but we can only blame ourselves. McNeil would have just as likely missed under that pressure, Scott, West, Naughton etc. I’d back less than a handful of the 22 out there last night to kick that more than 5 times out of 10 and most of them are in defence and midfield (Daniel, Dale, Williams, Libba, Bont maybe).

If you continue to stack your forward half with guys that aren’t natural goal kickers, you’re just playing with fire. I

chef
04-06-2022, 08:31 AM
The first quarter. We turned up like we were still playing WCE and by the time Bevo could rectify it at quarter time it was too late.

azabob
04-06-2022, 09:53 AM
Two moments for me.

First one; before the first bounce when Keath went to Cameron he motioned to Gardner to ask should we swap. It seemed we planned for Keath to play on Cameron but from the goal square. We all know how this ended.

Second one; in the first quarter Dunkley put a half effort to avoid contact with Cameron at CHB in the first quarter, it lead to only a behind but it summed up our intent and mindset in the first quarter.

angelopetraglia
04-06-2022, 10:16 AM
For me it was when Naughton missed a chance from 15m out in the first quarter. It was like ... here we go again. It just set the scene again for missed chances. We were outplayed in that first quarter but if we took our chances we would have been within striking distance.

I just don't know how a league footballer misses from 15m on a slight angle. That is under 12 kind of stuff.

SonofScray
04-06-2022, 10:33 AM
Two moments for me.

Second one; in the first quarter Dunkley put a half effort to avoid contact with Cameron at CHB in the first quarter, it lead to only a behind but it summed up our intent and mindset in the first quarter.

That was a pea hearted effort. Never thought Dunks would be found wanting for courage.

We really are letting ourselves down in this front.

azabob
04-06-2022, 10:34 AM
That was a pea hearted effort. Never thought Dunks would be found wanting for courage.

We really are letting ourselves down in this front.

Yep, we are both being kind of our description of Dunkleys effort.

EasternWest
04-06-2022, 11:50 AM
First 5 mins when Stewart and De Koning were intercepting our errant entries with ease.

For some reason your phone has autocorrected "standard" to "errant". Weird.

jeemak
04-06-2022, 01:46 PM
The first disposal from Williams was telling as well. Instead of giving the ball some height with what could have been a long drop punt he end-over-ends it lazily, straight to Stewart.

If you're dealing with a team that sets up well behind the ball, don't kick it flat to them. Put some height on the bloody football and make them sweat with pressure baring down on them.

GVGjr
04-06-2022, 01:52 PM
The first disposal from Williams was telling as well. Instead of giving the ball some height with what could have been a long drop punt he end-over-ends it lazily, straight to Stewart.

If you're dealing with a team that sets up well behind the ball, don't kick it flat to them. Put some height on the bloody football and make them sweat with pressure baring down on them.

Bang on, I said to myself hear we go.

jeemak
04-06-2022, 01:59 PM
Bang on, I said to myself hear we go.

It was just so lackadaisical, ill-considered/ dumb and typical of how we started the game. Miles off it mentally.

azabob
04-06-2022, 02:01 PM
At one stage Stewart and DeKoning each had more marks than our entire team.

Flamethrower
04-06-2022, 02:53 PM
Regardless of everything that happened before hand, the 4 premiership points were still up for grabs half way through the final quarter. It was then 2 mental errors were made that led to the victory for the team wearing Albion jumpers...

- The Cats had all the momentum, and were peppering their goals - the Good Guys finally cleared the ball out of D50 and got the ball to half forward - the ball was rolling out of bounds when Adam Treloar dived on the ball and kept the ball alive, and turned the ball over straight back to the Cats' defenders resulting in a crucial goal against.

- Stoppage in the Cats F50 with minutes remaining and the Dogs needing everything to go right. Unfortunately Ryan Gardner is daydreaming as a quick kick is forced forward allowing the the Cats to convert and seal the game.

jeemak
04-06-2022, 03:04 PM
Both good points FT.

That Cameron had fifteen metres of space to run into was also a failure of the broader team.

Gardner had a very poor evening last night. Missed handballs, shanks by foot, and concentration lapses in positioning.

Bulldog4life
04-06-2022, 06:07 PM
For me it was when Naughton missed a chance from 15m out in the first quarter. It was like ... here we go again. It just set the scene again for missed chances. We were outplayed in that first quarter but if we took our chances we would have been within striking distance.

I just don't know how a league footballer misses from 15m on a slight angle. That is under 12 kind of stuff.

Agree. He didn't even need to hook it around his body. He is no good at doing it on his left. He is better kicking a right foot one from the boundary.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 08:06 PM
Yeh McComb's miss was a killer.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 08:08 PM
Yeh McComb's miss was a killer. Smith's miss just before same. Both showed a lack if belief and composure in their shots, that's what struck me, too pumped.

FrediKanoute
05-06-2022, 12:33 AM
Probably the first 10 minutes where we gave up 4 goals and then the last 3 minutes of the 1st where we gave up another 3. 7 goals down always a mountain to climb. Despite all this, I though we would win. Our best is better than their best, but not nailing set shots directly in front from 30 is handing the opposition a lifeline and that is all it took. For me McComb's miss was the defining moment - a point where we could have impacted the contest and made a positive contribution to winning and we didn't.

FrediKanoute
05-06-2022, 12:35 AM
Regardless of everything that happened before hand, the 4 premiership points were still up for grabs half way through the final quarter. It was then 2 mental errors were made that led to the victory for the team wearing Albion jumpers...

- The Cats had all the momentum, and were peppering their goals - the Good Guys finally cleared the ball out of D50 and got the ball to half forward - the ball was rolling out of bounds when Adam Treloar dived on the ball and kept the ball alive, and turned the ball over straight back to the Cats' defenders resulting in a crucial goal against.

- Stoppage in the Cats F50 with minutes remaining and the Dogs needing everything to go right. Unfortunately Ryan Gardner is daydreaming as a quick kick is forced forward allowing the the Cats to convert and seal the game.

Agree this was poor, but in his defence there was another bulldog player around who should have been talking to him. I though at the time the play was to get the ball out to the outside guy.....million dollar play

bornadog
05-06-2022, 01:16 AM
Agree this was poor, but in his defence there was another bulldog player around who should have been talking to him. I though at the time the play was to get the ball out to the outside guy.....million dollar play

Bont looked up and our only player in our half was Treloar running at full pelt. Bont's kick didn't quiet get to Treloar, but yes Treloar should have fumble the ball, over the line and wait for the cavalry to arrive

AshMac
05-06-2022, 12:30 PM
The other key moment for me was in the last quarter - we were on a fast break with a 1on1 in F50 and two players streaming in.

The ball was kicked to McNeil, defender closed the gap. He needed to take the mark and we had all the run going in. Ball spoiled, hit the ground. A premium player would beat Atkins in a 1 on 1 but it’s McNeil. Both free players keep streaming into 50.

Atkins beats McNeil, ball goes out of bounds. Cats setup again behind the ball.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 02:21 PM
The other key moment for me was in the last quarter - we were on a fast break with a 1on1 in F50 and two players streaming in.

The ball was kicked to McNeil, defender closed the gap. He needed to take the mark and we had all the run going in. Ball spoiled, hit the ground. A premium player would beat Atkins in a 1 on 1 but it’s McNeil. Both free players keep streaming into 50.

Atkins beats McNeil, ball goes out of bounds. Cats setup again behind the ball.

That was in the 3rd quarter, and I am pretty sure we would have taken the lead.

AshMac
06-06-2022, 09:07 AM
That was in the 3rd quarter, and I am pretty sure we would have taken the lead.

Yes. Third qtr you’re right.

golden opportunity

Bulldog4life
13-06-2022, 12:26 PM
A lot of Woofers thought McComb's miss was the moment. Below is a different slant on McComb by Grant Thomas on twitter.

Grant Thomas
@Thomo_Grant
·Jun 4
Turning point of last nights game was when McComb received pass from some brilliant play by Bailey Smith, immediately turned his back & ignored team mate much closer to goal. He then missed shot to make it 5 points on the cusp of 3/4 time. Time & time again selfish acts cost you

The team mate was Westy by the way. I didn't notice it myself.