PDA

View Full Version : Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

jeemak
07-06-2022, 02:33 AM
A reasonable assessment of why crowds are down:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/06/why-has-there-been-a-downturn-in-afl-crowds-this-season-its-not-just-covid-to-blame

Here’s author Matthew Crawford on the “attention economy”: “Lately, our self-appointed disrupters have opened up a new frontier of capitalism, complete with its own frontier ethic: to boldly dig up and monetise every bit of private head space by appropriating our collective attention. In the process, we’ve sacrificed silence — the condition of not being addressed.”

Max Gawn of the Demons and Luke Ryan of the Dockers compete for the ball during last week’s match at the MCG.
AFL mid-season report card part one: premiership fancies to guilty pleasures
Read more
At football games, you’re constantly being addressed, constantly being shouted at, constantly implored to make some noise, have a punt, buy a jeep, kiss your partner, stuff your face, or sink some piss. You’re at the mercy of the ground announcer, music blaring after goals, and the incessant, ear perforating prattle. As a result, it’s virtually impossible to have a conversation with the person next to you. For all you kids, this is what half-time at the football used to sound like.

Hotdog60
07-06-2022, 06:49 AM
Luckily or not I don't get to the footy anymore but even on the TV screen the flickering lights are annoying but at least I can hit the mute button.
The person who came up with idea and thought it was good practice needs to be lock in a room with this going on for an hour non stop and see how they feel after the experience.
I wonder if they would either one come out a total nut job and attack whoever let them out. Two find themselves curled up in a corner having flashbacks to something out of Apocalypse Now or three hug the person letting them out for saving their sanity.
Also do the kids really like it or their attention span is so sort it doesn't affect them.

bornadog
07-06-2022, 09:56 AM
The article is actually spot on.

Number one on that list is the ticketing debacle where you have to book your seat, or download your ticket via digital membership. There are lots of people in the past who decided to go to the footy the last minute, and now they find themselves having to try and get a ticket the new way, instead of just rocking up and either buying one at the ticket box, or swiping their membership card.

Everything combined on the list in the article chips away at lowering crowds.

jeemak
25-06-2022, 02:17 PM
What did people think of the 7pm start?

Notice all the media/ footy people who are all media/ footy people think it's great, but really how many deadlines are they needing to hit on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

Guess it's good for the AFL and their vendor partners at the ground. More people in a rush needing to eat their shit overpriced food once at the game.

For me, needing to get home from work in Sth Melbourne to Richmond after work, walk the pooch and get into the ground, it was much too rushed and I think about 7:20pm to 7:40pm is about right.

The later start wasn't a problem pre-COVID etc. I reckon this is all about getting two Friday night games on TV and more eyes on screens than it is about getting people to the games.

Grantysghost
25-06-2022, 02:21 PM
What did people think of the 7pm start?

Notice all the media/ footy people who are all media/ footy people think it's great, but really how many deadlines are they needing to hit on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

Guess it's good for the AFL and their vendor partners at the ground. More people in a rush needing to eat their shit overpriced food once at the game.

For me, needing to get home from work in Sth Melbourne to Richmond after work, walk the pooch and get into the ground, it was much too rushed and I think about 7:20pm to 7:40pm is about right.

The later start wasn't a problem pre-COVID etc. I reckon this is all about getting two Friday night games on TV and more eyes on screens than it is about getting people to the games.

It was tough. I didn't finish my last meeting until 5.30. Got to the game about 15 prior to start so did feel very rushed.

Agree another 20 mins maybe better.

The bulldog tragician
25-06-2022, 02:26 PM
The lights were absolutely appalling last night. Worse than usual.

I keep getting club emails about rating my match day experience but clearly no one reads them.

Who needs that stupid mindless never ending razzmatazz. The crowd’s tremendous roar when our heart and soul Libba kicked a last qtr goal after he had played such a key role in us fighting back is what I’m there for.

jeemak
25-06-2022, 03:06 PM

I keep getting club emails about rating my match day experience but clearly no one reads them.

Who needs that stupid mindless never ending razzmatazz. The crowd’s tremendous roar when our heart and soul Libba kicked a last qtr goal after he had played such a key role in us fighting back is what I’m there for.

The whole rev up before each quarter/ half where we get screamed at about making noise is pitiful. The example you mention is all that's required to get the noise going, the footy should just talk for itself.

Grantysghost
25-06-2022, 03:10 PM

Don't think less of me Trag...

But I like the lights. *hides*

I hate the noise, but like the lights.

bornadog
25-06-2022, 03:14 PM
What did people think of the 7pm start? .

Missed last night's game as I was at a conference and the plane was delayed 30 min, so landed at 6:45. However, I don't like 7:50 start, it is too late to finish. I think a 7:20 would be just right.

The Underdog
25-06-2022, 03:23 PM
It was tough. I didn't finish my last meeting until 5.30. Got to the game about 15 prior to start so did feel very rushed.

Agree another 20 mins maybe better.

Dude, you need talk to whoever is scheduling meetings that finish at 5:30 on a Friday. That’s some high level bullshit right there.

Grantysghost
25-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Dude, you need talk to whoever is scheduling meetings that finish at 5:30 on a Friday. That’s some high level bullshit right there.

Haha so true. Supposed to finish at 430, never does.

Flamethrower
25-06-2022, 03:29 PM
I hate the way the AFL have adopted so many fan experience ideas from the NBA and NBL. Get rid of the sensory overload - all the epilepsy inducing flashing lights, the incessant noise pollution, kiss cam, "make some noise".

Basketball NEEDS this garbage as it is arguably the worst, most boring sport on the planet. You score, we score, you score, we score, then an hour of time outs to get through the last 30 seconds of game time.

AFL football is one of the best - the action on the field doesn't need anything to enhance the spectator experience 99% of the time.

azabob
25-06-2022, 03:33 PM
Haha so true. Supposed to finish at 430, never does.

Meeting finishing at 4.30 still ain’t cool. That is an anchor right there.

The bulldog tragician
25-06-2022, 04:02 PM
Don't think less of me Trag...

But I like the lights. *hides*

I hate the noise, but like the lights.

Is it really possible to think less of you GG? *ducks*

I’m not just talking about the flashing lights, but the spotlights from the top deck. Maybe it depends on where you are sitting but we are on an angle which means they are in our eyes the whole time. My sister brings a cap to prevent the glare.

Also what gives with opposition fans being able to sit in “our” sections? This is becoming common. What are we paying premium $$ for?

Just as well we won, and the Bombres lost in humiliating style, or I’d be very Alex-Keath-level-grumpy today.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-06-2022, 04:02 PM
The article is actually spot on.

Number one on that list is the ticketing debacle where you have to book your seat, or download your ticket via digital membership. There are lots of people in the past who decided to go to the footy the last minute, and now they find themselves having to try and get a ticket the new way, instead of just rocking up and either buying one at the ticket box, or swiping their membership card.

Everything combined on the list in the article chips away at lowering crowds.
This has been a disaster by the AFL to do away with Club membership tickets which has led to confusion and a source of annoyance to traditional loyal members. It has forced the League to change back.

Grantysghost
25-06-2022, 04:05 PM
Is it really possible to think less of you GG? *ducks*

I’m not just talking about the flashing lights, but the spotlights from the top deck. Maybe it depends on where you are sitting but we are on an angle which means they are in our eyes the whole time. My sister brings a cap to prevent the glare.

Also what gives with opposition fans being able to sit in “our” sections? This is becoming common. What are we paying premium $$ for?

Just as well we won, and the Bombres lost in humiliating style, or I’d be very Alex-Keath-level-grumpy today.

Ahh ok that makes sense, if they're in your eyes then that's just not on at all.
I'm on level 2 behind the goals/pocket at the Footscray end these days so I don't get blinded.

Im totally on board with the sentiment the game sells its self.

Grantysghost
25-06-2022, 04:22 PM
This has been a disaster by the AFL to do away with Club membership tickets which has led to confusion and a source of annoyance to traditional loyal members. It has forced the League to change back.

The problem was the cut over. They didn't phase it in.

With any major system change during the planning phase that's always a major consideration.

Considering the legacy depth of plastic tickets a phased in approach (both plastic and digital) should've been done over say 3 years with a clear message that plastic is being removed as an option.
Personally I prefer the digital card, I don't carry a wallet anymore everything is on my phone.

Happy Days
25-06-2022, 07:57 PM
Its the umpiring. The ridiculous 50s at the drop of a hat, the stupid stand rule, reading free kicks into every key contest from umpires off the ball, the dissent nonsense. It just kills the contest and makes it such a frustrating experience.

dalek
25-06-2022, 10:34 PM
Another reason crowds are down is the "Cashless" payments for everything including the record.

I've gotten into the habit of buying the Record at my local newsagent seeing as they are no longer game specific.

EasternWest
25-06-2022, 10:41 PM
Basketball NEEDS this garbage as it is arguably the worst, most boring sport on the planet. You score, we score, you score, we score, then an hour of time outs to get through the last 30 seconds of game time.

I know you're angry right now, so I'm going to pretend you didn't say this.

Also, may I introduce you to NFL/MLB?

Its the umpiring. The ridiculous 50s at the drop of a hat, the stupid stand rule, reading free kicks into every key contest from umpires off the ball, the dissent nonsense. It just kills the contest and makes it such a frustrating experience.

It's this, but this is only part of the issue. To really improve crowd numbers and match day experiences, it would take a fair bit of self reflection and ain't nobody at the AFL got time for that.

Grantysghost
25-06-2022, 10:48 PM
I know you're angry right now, so I'm going to pretend you didn't say this.

Also, may I introduce you to NFL/MLB?

It's this, but this is only part of the issue. To really improve crowd numbers and match day experiences, it would take a fair bit of self reflection and ain't nobody at the AFL got time for that.

And bring back the bluebirds.

Grantysghost
25-06-2022, 11:12 PM

Bert loved the Blue Birds

https://i.postimg.cc/Jzqyrr8H/Screenshot-20220625-221147-Samsung-Internet.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

jeemak
25-06-2022, 11:24 PM
It's fair to say it's everything but the players and the coaches and the clubs themselves, and funnily enough that's not where the noise about this bullshit is directed towards or coming from.

COVID really needed to strip the game of the superfluous rubbish that multiplied around it, but it seems that stuff has only gotten stronger and louder.

Bulldog4life
26-06-2022, 10:36 AM

Don't forget the swanettes with Dr.Edelstein and glamorous wife Leanne.

ratsmac
26-06-2022, 11:00 AM
We also had our own Charlie's Angel's too

Grantysghost
26-06-2022, 11:16 AM

Really? I didn't know that; what era?

bornadog
26-06-2022, 11:17 AM

Yeah, that was funny and a little ridiculous and unnecessary.

Grantysghost
26-06-2022, 11:23 AM
Yeah, that was funny and a little ridiculous and unnecessary.

My subtle point was the US has cheer leaders and we follow everything they do, ergo bring back the Angels!

Bulldog4life
26-06-2022, 11:31 AM
Found this when I was looking up Charlies Angels. About the Spargo family.

https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/7443026/charlies-angels-to-cheer-him-on-from-afar-in-afl-grand-final/

GVGjr
26-06-2022, 12:02 PM

Didn't we have the Bulldog Belles for a couple of years?

Bulldog4life
26-06-2022, 12:19 PM
Found this when I was looking up Charlies Angels. About the Spargo family.

https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/7443026/charlies-angels-to-cheer-him-on-from-afar-in-afl-grand-final/

I had forgotten about the 3rd brother Ray who had played reserves with us. Remember Bob and Ricky.

Twodogs
26-06-2022, 01:49 PM
I hate the way the AFL have adopted so many fan experience ideas from the NBA and NBL. Get rid of the sensory overload - all the epilepsy inducing flashing lights, the incessant noise pollution, kiss cam, "make some noise".

AFL football is one of the best - the action on the field doesn't need anything to enhance the spectator experience 99% of the time.

100% agree with all you've said. I used to take a guy with high level autism to games. It was the only place he could handle big crowds and lots of external stimulation and also scream and yell as much as he wanted to and still be accepted and encouraged to be himself. But he's also epileptic and now he can't go because of the stupid unnecessary lights.

And you're right about basketball (especially NBA). A bit like 50 overs cricket it needs all the distraction it can get from the repetitive nature of the game. Footy doesn't. It actually suffers from all the sickening screaming and yelling because that just distracts from the spectacle of the game itself which, after all, is what we've come to see.

bornadog
26-06-2022, 01:53 PM
And you're right about basketball (especially NBA). A bit like 50 overs cricket it needs all the distraction it can get from the repetitive nature of the game. Footy doesn't. It actually suffers from all the sickening screaming and yelling because that just distracts from the spectacle of the game itself which, after all, is what we've come to see.

American sports are so boring. Gridiron doesn't flow, they stop every few minutes, Baseball is boring as hell, to watch and play, and basketball is fun to play but boring to watch.

EasternWest
26-06-2022, 05:51 PM
100% agree with all you've said. I used to take a guy with high level autism to games. It was the only place he could handle big crowds and lots of external stimulation and also scream and yell as much as he wanted to and still be accepted and encouraged to be himself. But he's also epileptic and now he can't go because of the stupid unnecessary lights.

American sports are so boring. Gridiron doesn't flow, they stop every few minutes, Baseball is boring as hell, to watch and play, and basketball is fun to play but boring to watch.

You're both off my "erudite and refiend men I'd like to share a red wine with" list.

bornadog
26-06-2022, 05:54 PM
You're both off my "erudite and refiend men I'd like to share a red wine with" list.

I was going to bring along this: but you have now missed out :D

https://www.newideafood.com.au/media/19034/screen-shot-2019-09-08-at-74802-pm.png

EasternWest
26-06-2022, 06:18 PM
I was going to bring along this: but you have now missed out :D

https://www.newideafood.com.au/media/19034/screen-shot-2019-09-08-at-74802-pm.png

It's swill anyway. Andrew Fox once offered me an entire box and I knocked it back. True story.

Twodogs
26-06-2022, 07:04 PM

Look I'm a bit of a sport savant in that I really lose myself in all sorts of team sports from all the footballs and bat and ball games. I've always loved baseball and NFL has turned the corner again after a few so so years so 've started watching it again thanks mainly to a couple of extraordinary Superbowls over the last few years but NBA has always been a bit Meh! for me.

As I say it's a bit like 50 overs cricket in that 99% of the time they may as well not bother with the middle 2/3rds of the game. I don't mind watching Olympic basketball though. They seem to be more willing to let it run.

And I don't really drink wine. Or anything apart from water. The most exciting I get is maybe tipping a bit of cordial in.

jeemak
26-06-2022, 07:17 PM

They're great if you're into the strategic side of them.