PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 17 V Sydney At The SCG On Friday Night

Scraggers
17-06-2022, 05:03 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 16 match against Brisbane for our Round 17 match against Sydney at The SCG on Friday Night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 06:42 PM
Bump

Bullies
30-06-2022, 11:18 PM
Out: McComb, Crozier, Schache, O'Brien

In: English, Richards, Garcia, Cordy

G-Mo77
30-06-2022, 11:21 PM
Get McComb and Tim O'Brien out for good. We'll work on the rest after the VFL game.

josie
30-06-2022, 11:27 PM
Out: McComb, Crozier, Sweet, Williams
In: Garcia, Cleary, English, Richards

If English and Richards not ready then Sweet and Williams stay in. Cannot see Bevo playing both Sweet and English. If he does then Schache dropped.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 11:36 PM
Not sure with the ins and outs yet but Garcia and McNeil might be in the mix. Perhaps Cordy as well.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-06-2022, 11:44 PM
Out: McComb, Crozier, Schache, O'Brien

In: English, Richards, Garcia, Cordy

Good choices. We badly need Bailey Smith and Duryea as well back in the team when available. Sweet has done a lot better than expected and we need him working in tandem with English. It would also allow English to play more time forward instead of Schache.

bornadog
30-06-2022, 11:45 PM
Not sure with the ins and outs yet but Garcia and McNeil might be in the mix. Perhaps Cordy as well.

See how they go tomorrow.

Mantis
30-06-2022, 11:56 PM

What do you see with McNeil?… He tackles ok when close to a player, but isn’t (super) quick and doesn’t get much of the ball.

westbulldog
01-07-2022, 12:06 AM
In English Cleary
Out Crozier (cooked) Schache

GVGjr
01-07-2022, 12:13 AM
What do you see with McNeil?… He tackles ok when close to a player, but isn’t (super) quick and doesn’t get much of the ball.

Not a great deal but he's been the sub and around the mark for most of the season. A decent game with Footscray I think puts him back into the mix.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-07-2022, 07:54 AM
In. Richards and English

Out Krozier and Schacke

Gee we need Smith, Daniel, Bruce and Doc to be fit

Happy Days
01-07-2022, 10:16 AM
Lost in the generally listless and overly woke nature of our performance was Sweet having easily his best game ever. Schache on the other hand was just about the worst player on the ground.

In: English, Richards
Out: Crozier, Schache

Not at all convinced on Sweet in a role that will be predominantly forward but he’s at least earned a chance.

I might look for more outs after the VFL. Hunter’s game was pretty awful but can’t think of who would replace him.

MrMahatma
01-07-2022, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't drop Schache. He played well over the past few weeks and then had a down match.

In: English; Richards;
Out: McCombe, Crozier.

Means we're tall, but also much better.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2022, 02:21 PM
Apart from English and Richards who will strengthen the side after watching half on the VFL game today I would like for McLean, Cleary and Garcia to be considered. Outs not sure at the moment.

Danjul
01-07-2022, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't drop Schache. He played well over the past few weeks and then had a down match.

In: English; Richards;
Out: McCombe, Crozier.

Means we're tall, but also much better. Schache had a bad game, as bad as Weightman and he isn’t fully fit.

But Schache spent a lot of time in the ruck. He is not a ruckman so his time on ground was totally stuffed up. He was competing against an established ruckman for significant periods of time.

Why did Sweet disappear so often? He went to the bench early in quarters when he was playing ok. Does he ask to leave the game? He played 80% against Collingwood but only 70% last night. Why such a big change? He should have been left on the ground while the opposition ruckman was playing. Then our second ruck gets their second ruck.

Happy Days
01-07-2022, 03:34 PM
Do we have a look at turning Cody in to get his elbow fixed?

He's had a really feeble couple of weeks and last night was as bad as our forward pressure has been all year.

Mantis
01-07-2022, 03:42 PM
Do we have a look at turning Cody in to get his elbow fixed?

He's had a really feeble couple of weeks and last night was as bad as our forward pressure has been all year.

Cody spent a fair bit of the time on the wing last night... I really need to question why that's the case when our forward line was largely dysfunctional.

He hasn't been right since the elbow injury so agree he probably shouldn't be playing.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2022, 03:46 PM
Cody spent a fair bit of the time on the wing last night... I really need to question why that's the case when our forward line was largely dysfunctional.

He hasn't been right since the elbow injury so agree he probably shouldn't be playing.

He went off the ground and in the rooms early in the match and Garcia was warming up. Then Cody appears does his run throughs on the boundary and continued to play. Not sure what his problem was.

Grantysghost
01-07-2022, 03:48 PM
He went off the ground and in the rooms early in the match and Garcia was warming up. Then Cody appears does his run throughs on the boundary and continued to play. Not sure what his problem was.

He copped a big high hit very early in a contest on the wing. Think he was being checked for concussion.

SonofScray
01-07-2022, 05:35 PM
In:

SOS, wife of SOS, Daughter of SOS, Sister of SOS, Aunty of SOS, Cousin of SOS.

Out:

work this week and weekend

bornadog
01-07-2022, 05:49 PM
In: English, Richards

Out: Schache, McComb

azabob
01-07-2022, 06:11 PM
In: English, Richardson

Out: Schache, McComb

I’m very surprised you are selecting both English and Sweet.

Axe Man
01-07-2022, 06:20 PM

I'm more surprised to see Matthew Richardson get a game.

The bulldog tragician
01-07-2022, 07:26 PM
I'm more surprised to see Matthew Richardson get a game.

He’d be handy.

Vred
01-07-2022, 07:55 PM
Out: Rohan Smith

In: Ross Lyon

Seriously tho, Ed and English in for McComb/Whoever at this point.

Grantysghost
01-07-2022, 07:58 PM
In : McLean, English, Richards
Out : Weightman, Sweet, Williams

I think Weightman needs a spell. Otherwise McComb but he actually played ok later in game.
Hunter is taking Williams' wing spot.

The bulldog tragician
01-07-2022, 08:10 PM

I think Weightman needs a spell. Otherwise McComb but he actually played ok later in game.
Hunter is taking Williams wing spot.
Williams has done well there. He didn’t play well in the backline, as he hadn’t earlier this year before the switch. He looked natural, and gave us something different on that wing. It feels unfair that Hunter, after a long layoff, can just claim that spot as his right. I’m not sure what the answer is, with our half back line decimated, I can see why Bailey went back, just don’t feel he should be penalised for the one poor game.

I don’t want to beat up on McComb, lovely story, but the lack of skill is really painful. Commentary at one point said he was positioning and taking the Libba inside mid spot. If so @#@#!! I’m really confused as to what he provides.

We so badly need English and Richards back if we are to make any sort of run.

The Doctor
01-07-2022, 09:49 PM
B: Crozier, Gardner, Cleary

HB: Richards, Keath, Dale

C: Hunter, Libba, Williams

HF: Dunkley, Jamarra, JJ

F: West, Naughton, Weightman

R: English, Bont, Macrae

Int: Treloar, Bedendo, Schache, Scott

EMG: Sweet, Khamis, McLean

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-07-2022, 09:53 PM

Would be a first for Bevo to play two ruck men

Bullies
01-07-2022, 10:16 PM

Hunter is taking Williams' wing spot. The same McComb that was wearing the white boots and butchered it at every opportunity and has limited skill??

Grantysghost
01-07-2022, 11:06 PM
The same McComb that was wearing the white boots and butchered it at every opportunity and has limited skill??

I'm not his biggest fan, but I thought he was ok late and kept working hard all game.

He certainly butchered it early, however he's played 10 games or so he wasn't the issue.

bornadog
01-07-2022, 11:44 PM

We have no choice

comrade
02-07-2022, 10:25 AM
This year is a wash. Prepare for 2023 and play Bedendo, keep putting time into Marra, replace Crozier with Cleary and persist with a proper 2 man ruck structure.

Out: McComb, Schache, Crozier
In: English, Cleary, Garcia

Bullies
02-07-2022, 11:51 AM
I'm not his biggest fan, but I thought he was ok late and kept working hard all game.

He certainly butchered it early, however he's played 10 games or so he wasn't the issue. I think the point is he is 27 and is not going to improve. It is more staggering that he was elevated to the list as not sure if you watched much 2's over the past couple of years but he butchered the ball constantly at that level.

We had Jordan Boyd in the 2's at the same time and he has elite skill and pace. Why was he not elevated. He is now playing 1's with Carlton.

bornadog
02-07-2022, 11:53 AM
This year is a wash. Prepare for 2023 and play Bedendo, keep putting time into Marra, replace Crozier with Cleary and persist with a proper 2 man ruck structure.

Out: McComb, Schache, Crozier
In: English, Cleary, Garcia

Hopefully Ed is ready as well

comrade
02-07-2022, 11:59 AM
I think the point is he is 27 and is not going to improve. It is more staggering that he was elevated to the list as not sure if you watched much 2's over the past couple of years but he butchered the ball constantly at that level.

We had Jordan Boyd in the 2's at the same time and he has elite skill and pace. Why was he not elevated. He is now playing 1's with Carlton.

Why we picked a 27 year old midfield battler instead of bringing in the types of players we actually need like key defenders and rucks, let alone burning an actual national draft pick over just selecting him late in the rookie draft…I will never know.

bornadog
02-07-2022, 12:02 PM
Why we picked a 27 year old midfield battler instead of bringing in the types of players we actually need like key defenders and rucks, let alone burning an actual national draft pick over just selecting him late in the rookie draft…I will never know.

Would have been better to rookie a young developing ruckman

Grantysghost
02-07-2022, 12:24 PM
I think the point is he is 27 and is not going to improve. It is more staggering that he was elevated to the list as not sure if you watched much 2's over the past couple of years but he butchered the ball constantly at that level.

Well yes that's a different issue and totally agree there.

We had Lipinski too.

I assume Bevo likes him as he's good at the stoppage and turnover game.

Happy Days
02-07-2022, 01:37 PM

You're still right, but McComb was picked in the rookie draft.

Shows that we at least learnt something from the Hayes selection, even if it wasn't the thing that we should have learnt.

GVGjr
02-07-2022, 01:45 PM

He was just about our best performed Footscray player and I suspect we were backing that becoming a full time footballer might have helped him improve. Clearly now it's been proven his kicking isn't of a senior standard so I'm not sure why we need to keep picking him.

Outside of a couple of high possession games I wonder what the attribute he possessed that we thought we could transition into an AFL standard player? We got it right with Anthony Scott who was under our nose for a couple of years so was it's reasonable to hope we could do it again?

Happy Days
02-07-2022, 01:49 PM
Boyd got sniped in the MSD before we could pick him, and althought I was high on him when he was at Footscray he's barely looked any better than McComb has. There's plenty of valid criticisms of McComb's selection but don't think that "missing" Boyd is one.

comrade
02-07-2022, 05:10 PM
You're still right, but McComb was picked in the rookie draft.

Shows that we at least learnt something from the Hayes selection, even if it wasn't the thing that we should have learnt.

Was he? There you go! I must have got him confused with our Hayes selection.

kruder
02-07-2022, 06:53 PM
Keath came off late looked uncomfortable wouldn't be surprised if he is out.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-07-2022, 07:24 PM
Biblical rain falling in Sydney after their defeat.
120mm predicted tomorrow then constant rain through to Saturday. Seriously challenging for groundstaff but the Swans will get practice in the conditions. This affects our prep and selections.
I wonder if Swans can get an oval prepared to be hacked up.

jeemak
02-07-2022, 07:36 PM
I reckon we'll see Toby Mac back this week (providing he pulls up fine) given he's played two at the lower level. I'd have him in for McComb, he just has more class.

Someone has to make way for English. I think it should be Sweet, giving Schache a reprieve after a game where he fluffed his lines pretty badly. I get it was two kicks, but if you're not a player who gets a lot of it you need to make the most of your opportunities - especially if doing so is your point of difference.

I'm not dropping Weightman after he's kicked one and had four tackles playing low-high throughout the day. After a quiet week last week possession wise he had eight and snagged a goal so is likely on the improve after injuring his elbow.

While I don't think Crozier is great, I don't think he's horrendous. It really sucks having Doc (albeit he's been patchy this year), Daniel and Richards out. Crozier stays for mine - unless Richards comes good which I hope he does.

In - English, McLean, Richards
Out - Sweet, McComb, Crozier

azabob
04-07-2022, 10:44 AM
I reckon we'll see Toby Mac back this week (providing he pulls up fine) given he's played two at the lower level. I'd have him in for McComb, he just has more class.

Someone has to make way for English. I think it should be Sweet, giving Schache a reprieve after a game where he fluffed his lines pretty badly. I get it was two kicks, but if you're not a player who gets a lot of it you need to make the most of your opportunities - especially if doing so is your point of difference.

I'm not dropping Weightman after he's kicked one and had four tackles playing low-high throughout the day. After a quiet week last week possession wise he had eight and snagged a goal so is likely on the improve after injuring his elbow.

While I don't think Crozier is great, I don't think he's horrendous. It really sucks having Doc (albeit he's been patchy this year), Daniel and Richards out. Crozier stays for mine - unless Richards comes good which I hope he does.

Well thought out INS and OUTS. Each one makes us stronger across the ground.

Mofra
04-07-2022, 06:36 PM

I'll go with this too, hard to fault the logic

bornadog
04-07-2022, 08:13 PM
I doubt Crozier will be dropped

Mantis
04-07-2022, 08:53 PM
I doubt Crozier will be dropped

He's been dropped a number of times this year already and is clearly the weakest link in our mid sized defender ranks... if Richards is good to go, Crozier has to be the one he replaces.

soupman
04-07-2022, 10:57 PM
He's been dropped a number of times this year already and is clearly the weakest link in our mid sized defender ranks... if Richards is good to go, Crozier has to be the one he replaces.

Agree. We may push Williams/Scott back up to the wings which would open up a spot for Richards without dropping Crozier but I'm hoping we prioritise the development of Bedendo in that role.

bornadog
04-07-2022, 11:36 PM
Agree. We may push Williams/Scott back up to the wings which would open up a spot for Richards without dropping Crozier but I'm hoping we prioritise the development of Bedendo in that role.

Bedendo in wing role, or back?

soupman
05-07-2022, 12:10 AM
Bedendo in wing role, or back?

Wing

Hotdog60
05-07-2022, 06:45 AM
I wouldn't say that Williams is all that safe either he hasn't had the best of years.

bornadog
05-07-2022, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't say that Williams is all that safe either he hasn't had the best of years.

Has been very poor the last few weeks.

bornadog
05-07-2022, 12:04 PM
Adam Treloar, Tim English and Ed Richards all expected to be available for the Bulldogs on Friday night, Luke Beveridge says

Topdog
05-07-2022, 12:47 PM
Adam Treloar, Tim English and Ed Richards all expected to be available for the Bulldogs on Friday night, Luke Beveridge says

We desperately need them. Lose this and it might be season over.

bornadog
05-07-2022, 01:55 PM
Good press conference today. Worth watching here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1165545/luke-beveridge-we-re-priming-ourselves-for-their-best-?videoId=1165545&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1656983675001)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Good press conference today. Worth watching here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1165545/luke-beveridge-we-re-priming-ourselves-for-their-best-?videoId=1165545&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1656983675001)

It really was BAD. Some nice insights into how looking at one or two data points in isolation isn't necessarily the best way to try and evaluate how good or bad we're going.

His point in response to a journo raising the number of uncontested marks the Lions took a case in point. As he said, the fact that we play a territory game, an opposition having more uncontested marks, can actually be a reflection of how good we're playing and how well we're defending up the ground, when you look at that with other variables. He said that we forced 11 forward half turnovers last week in the first quarter alone, and yet our output from that was 1 measly point... And that's quite telling about our connectivity and execution in the forward half.

bornadog
05-07-2022, 03:49 PM
It really was BAD. Some nice insights into how looking at one or two data points in isolation isn't necessarily the best way to try and evaluate how good or bad we're going.

His point in response to a journo raising the number of uncontested marks the Lions took a case in point. As he said, the fact that we play a territory game, an opposition having more uncontested marks, can actually be a reflection of how good we're playing and how well we're defending up the ground, when you look at that with other variables. He said that we forced 11 forward half turnovers last week in the first quarter alone, and yet our output from that was 1 measly point... And that's quite telling about our connectivity and execution in the forward half.

I thought that stat was really telling as we had them in that first quarter but didn't make them pay. Imagine if we had a 5 goal lead from those turnovers. It would have been a different game.

GVGjr
05-07-2022, 04:15 PM

One of his best ones in ages.

boydogs
06-07-2022, 12:15 AM
One of his best ones in ages.

I actually thought he got a bit wound up and let a bit of IP out of the bag trying to win the argument

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-07-2022, 10:55 AM
I actually thought he got a bit wound up and let a bit of IP out of the bag trying to win the argument

Which details do you think might've betrayed our IP? He quoted some stats, of which every club has access to (and would pour over in trying to counter) and its no great tactical secret to opposition what we're trying to do in general.

Grantysghost
06-07-2022, 11:30 AM
Which details do you think might've betrayed our IP? He quoted some stats, of which every club has access to (and would pour over in trying to counter) and its no great tactical secret to opposition what we're trying to do in general.

Can you DM me and let me know YHF !

Vred
06-07-2022, 11:50 AM
Out:
McComb
Sweet
Crozier

In:
McLean
English
Ed

DOG GOD
06-07-2022, 12:31 PM
Man am I hoping for a Dogs win to give me something for the week.

I’ve just tested Covid positive ��

bornadog
06-07-2022, 12:51 PM

Hope you are ok and symptoms are mild.

Go Dogs!!

G-Mo77
06-07-2022, 12:59 PM

Good luck GD.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-07-2022, 01:00 PM

hope you get over it soon DG. All the best.

Grantysghost
06-07-2022, 01:02 PM

Argh all the best mate for a speedy recovery.

GVGjr
06-07-2022, 01:08 PM

Lets hope it's a mild version of it.

I also real want a Bulldogs win.

Jeanette54
06-07-2022, 01:13 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery Dog God. Hopefully you had the full course of the vaccinations and booster. I credit these as the reason my own dose of co-vid was relatively mild.

mjp
06-07-2022, 01:32 PM

Well, if that's the price we have to pay, then that's the price I guess. I appreciate the sacrifice.

(Before I get yelled at for joking about someone catching a deadly virus, this is a JOKE...I - of course - wish DG nothing but the best!).

Mantis
06-07-2022, 02:09 PM
Conditions are going to be heavy… do we need both Schache & JUH in those conditions?

Could we get an advantage in the clearances playing 2 ruckman?

MrMahatma
06-07-2022, 02:22 PM
Conditions are going to be heavy… do we need both Schache & JUH in those conditions?

Good question. And do we keep in someone like Bedendo who is both slight and very likely to tire, or chuck in Roarke who has a bigger body and much bigger tank?

Happy Days
06-07-2022, 02:27 PM
If it’s wet then bring in Roarke.

I’d drop him regardless but Schache’s best two games for the club have both been in the wet. They were also like 3 years ago but still food for thought.

DOG GOD
06-07-2022, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Hasn’t been mild unfortunately. 3 co workers have also tested positive the last few days. It’s hit me pretty hard. Luckily I’m 3 vaccines.

josie
06-07-2022, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Hasn’t been mild unfortunately. 3 co workers have also tested positive the last few days. It’s hit me pretty hard. Luckily I’m 3 vaccines.

Wishing you a speedy recovery DG. Let’s hope the doggies bring an uplift to start of weekend for you.

bornadog
06-07-2022, 05:45 PM

Take plenty of Panadol

jeemak
06-07-2022, 05:47 PM

Get well mate!

G-Mo77
06-07-2022, 08:58 PM

Good luck with it. Try and drink as much water as you can, it does help! I had a real rough dose of it about 3 - 4 weeks ago and I'm still recovering. I wouldn't wish it on anyone

1eyedog
06-07-2022, 09:26 PM

Don't know the answer to your question but i'm a bit devo that Caleb is out. These types of conditions really bring out his best.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2022, 10:33 AM

Get well soon buddy.

Scraggers
07-07-2022, 03:09 PM
Good luck with it. Try and drink as much water as you can, it does help! I had a real rough dose of it about 3 - 4 weeks ago and I'm still recovering. I wouldn't wish it on anyone

Same … I ended up with a hospital visit with my dose of the spicy cough. Mine was also 4 weeks ago and I’m still recovering.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-07-2022, 06:30 PM
Out:
McComb
Sweet
Crozier

In:
McLean
English
Ed

I would like to see Sweet retained as the good sides play two ruck men. It would also enable English to spend more time forward to ease the pressure off Naughton. Whether McLean's condition is good enough having missed so much football in the past year is questionable. The return of English and Richards is vital with the losses of both Duryea and Daniel impacting our back line against Brisbane.

angelopetraglia
07-07-2022, 07:21 PM
ROUND 17 TEAM
Sydney Swans v Western Bulldogs
Friday 8 July, 7.50pm AEST
SCG

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Anthony Scott
HB: Bailey Williams, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae, Dom Bedendo
HF: Jason Johanissen, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Tom Liberatore
F: Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
R: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Rhylee West, Mitch Hannan, Riley Garcia, Josh Schache
Emer: Tim O’Brien, Robbie McComb, Luke Cleary, Jordon Sweet.

In: Mitch Hannan, Tim English, Ed Richards, Riley Garcia
Out: Jordon Sweet, Tim O’Brien, Robbie McComb, Hayden Crozier (omitted)

Hotdog60
07-07-2022, 07:22 PM
In:
Ed Richards,
Mitch Hannan,
Tim English

Out:
Hayden Crozier (Omitted),
Jordon Sweet (Omitted),
Robbie McComb (Omitted),
Tim O'Brien (Omitted)

https://c.tenor.com/VH02d8-kLD4AAAAM/get-smart.gif

angelopetraglia
07-07-2022, 07:23 PM
English for Sweet

Richards for Crozier

Garcia for McComb

Hannan for O'Bien? Does that mean Shaq plays back?

GVGjr
07-07-2022, 07:23 PM
I'm glad they stuck with Schache. Bit of a surprise that Hannan came back so quickly.

Hotdog60
07-07-2022, 07:24 PM
Do we think the heavy track has made some of the calls

GVGjr
07-07-2022, 07:25 PM
Do we think the heavy track has made some of the calls

It should play a role in the selection.

Grantysghost
07-07-2022, 07:27 PM
English for Sweet

Richards for Crozier

Garcia for McComb

Hannan for O'Bien? Does that mean Shaq plays back?

Hannan was playing back for a bit in the twos.

Another Bevo master stroke! Prepare thyself.

azabob
07-07-2022, 07:29 PM
Extremely happy and comfortable with those changes.

Happy Days
07-07-2022, 07:31 PM
Yeah those changes are great. O’Brien as the sub with any luck.

Smads57
07-07-2022, 07:33 PM
In the open training session the other day, they had a short game simulation and Hannan played in defence in that exercise.

Grantysghost
07-07-2022, 07:35 PM
In the open training session the other day, they had a short game simulation and Hannan played in defence in that exercise.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ItM3AhhM0rj57w1JxF/giphy.gif

The Underdog
07-07-2022, 07:42 PM
In:
Ed Richards,
Mitch Hannan,
Tim English

Out:
Hayden Crozier (Omitted),
Jordon Sweet (Omitted),
Robbie McComb (Omitted),
Tim O'Brien (Omitted)

https://c.tenor.com/VH02d8-kLD4AAAAM/get-smart.gif

Do I like these changes? I think I really do

merantau
07-07-2022, 07:45 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery DG.

bornadog
07-07-2022, 07:47 PM
Good line up, but is Hannan ready?

jeemak
07-07-2022, 07:47 PM
I don't expect the track to be that heavy, and the centre should have been covered during the heavy rain from earlier in the week.

After a sunny day and 16 degrees tomorrow the surface should be playing pretty well.

Happy with the changes. Missed that Hannan had returned for Footscray so didn't include him in my ins and had selected Toby over him.

GVGjr
07-07-2022, 07:48 PM
Good line up, but is Hannan ready?

Hopefully the MC has it right but it seems to be a week early.

josie
07-07-2022, 07:50 PM
If Hannan can become a reliable backman to replace Williams/Crozier/injured Doc I’m all for it. I’d prefer to keep who we have in forward line rather than squeeze him in there.

angelopetraglia
07-07-2022, 07:52 PM
SYDNEY

In: J.Amartey, P.Ladhams
Out: L.McDonald (omitted), R.Clarke (Medi-Sub), T.Hickey (illness)

Hickey out is a big bonus.

FrediKanoute
07-07-2022, 07:53 PM
See this is where I lose it with the MC. Hannan has played one game in about 3 months. Yes he was good in that game, but he should be given the quality of VFL football. Hannan couldn't crack agame at Melbourne yet he is and has been a walk up start with us. Says everything you need to know.

kruder
07-07-2022, 08:02 PM
If Hannan can become a reliable backman to replace Williams/Crozier/injured Doc I’m all for it. I’d prefer to keep who we have in forward line rather than squeeze him in there.

His speed on the smaller types could be handy. Not easy to play a few quarters in the twos and impact straight away but maybe we are having a look to the future but I wanna see us persist rather than chop n change.

kruder
07-07-2022, 08:04 PM
See this is where I lose it with the MC. Hannan has played one game in about 3 months. Yes he was good in that game, but he should be given the quality of VFL football. Hannan couldn't crack agame at Melbourne yet he is and has been a walk up start with us. Says everything you need to know.

Fredi i agree he isn’t a walk up start but one thing out fitness staff are good at is getting a player ready off a long term injury.

FrediKanoute
07-07-2022, 08:09 PM
His speed on the smaller types could be handy. Not easy to play a few quarters in the twos and impact straight away but maybe we are having a look to the future but I wanna see us persist rather than chop n change.

He hasn't ever played as a backman. What makes us suddenly think you can elevate him against Sydney at the G to be that versitile lockdown player. We saw how hard it was with Scott on Cameron. I have no faith in Hannan. In the 18months he's been with us he has played maybe 2 to 3 good games of footy. I get the "role" player, but we have so many of these now that to me it seems as we have the stars and a support crew and the support crew are there just making up numbers, but not really impacting the overall performance (in a positive way)

boydogs
07-07-2022, 09:27 PM

There would be so much data available these days it would be overwhelming. It was more letting on which stats are our focus points like forward half turnovers as our key measure of defensiveness. I would hear that and think we’re inclined to press too high and prone to over the back goals like our first half v Geelong

G-Mo77
07-07-2022, 09:50 PM

I think that is a sign on how poorly we're doing.

Tim O'Brien dropped makes me happy. Don't see anything in him at all and still have 2 years and 6 games left on his contract.

Happy to see Schache get another week and they weren't so quick to pull the rug out on him. With Sweet out he had to play that role that divides us in here, although Hannan is back so Beveridge may play those stupid games again.

whythelongface
07-07-2022, 10:07 PM
Mostly happy with the ins though like others slightly baffled by the Hannan inclusion. Hopefully it is an experiment that works.
Glad to see Schache still in the team but not many chances left - he needs a decent game.

Good that Hickey is not playing.

GVGjr
07-07-2022, 10:41 PM
Mostly happy with the ins though like others slightly baffled by the Hannan inclusion. Hopefully it is an experiment that works.
Glad to see Schache still in the team but not many chances left - he needs a decent game.

Good that Hickey is not playing.

We just have to trust the MC that they've made the correct call with Hannan. I agree that Hickey being out might be a bonus for us.

Swoop
07-07-2022, 11:19 PM
Hannan going back is an experiment worth trying. I know Bevo has his critics but he did throw Dale back with relative success. Clearly they've identified the importance of having a 3rd taller type that can be versatile and play tall or short so why not give him a crack?

With regards to his fitness, obviously there's a lot of data that they have access to and if they deem him match fit who am I to disagree.

I am pleased for Shache to receive another opportunity and hopefully he benefits from the confidence shown in him. He's probably on his last chance.

I'm keen to see Garcia crack in. I've seen some recent negative comments around him being delisted but I see a future for him. He brings tenacity and intensity in a team that's lacking a bit of grunt. I'm looking forward to him showing the football world what he's capable of.

kruder
07-07-2022, 11:21 PM
He hasn't ever played as a backman. What makes us suddenly think you can elevate him against Sydney at the G to be that versitile lockdown player. We saw how hard it was with Scott on Cameron. I have no faith in Hannan. In the 18months he's been with us he has played maybe 2 to 3 good games of footy. I get the "role" player, but we have so many of these now that to me it seems as we have the stars and a support crew and the support crew are there just making up numbers, but not really impacting the overall performance (in a positive way)

Yep its called desperation stakes( I'm talking about the longer term approach with Hannan don't see a role for him as a forward and our smalls down back have been disappointing defensively).

Make no mistake, no matter what Bevo said publicly about our defence he knows its been our biggest issue this year. Keath and O'Brien both should be dropped they have been bloody awful the last month of footy, he is having a crack at a different mix again potentially ,we can't keep going the way we have down there.

I still hold out some faith that if we can win tomorrow night, then get Baz back and hopefully Bruce soon we could gain some momentum. However I still think it might be best to split the season here finish 9-10 which would force us to have a real hard look ourselves internally. I think if we do, utilise the trade period well then we can really bounce next year and take that next step to the top 4.

GVGjr
07-07-2022, 11:24 PM
Hannan going back is an experiment worth trying. I know Bevo has his critics but he did throw Dale back with relative success. Clearly they've identified the importance of having a 3rd taller type that can be versatile and play tall or short so why not give him a crack?

With regards to his fitness, obviously there's a lot of data that they have access to and if they deem him match fit who am I to disagree.

I am pleased for Shache to receive another opportunity and hopefully he benefits from the confidence shown in him. He's probably on his last chance.

I'm keen to see Garcia crack in. I've seen some recent negative comments around him being delisted but I see a future for him. He brings tenacity and intensity in a team that's lacking a bit of grunt. I'm looking forward to him showing the football world what he's capable of.

To be honest, we don't know that Hannan will line up as a defender but it does look likely. Maybe he is the 2nd ruck.
Agree about Schache as well but he needs to bounce back this week. Glad he isn't the yo-yo player.

MrMahatma
07-07-2022, 11:46 PM
Rather Hannan back than fwd to be honest. Not sure how he was ever a “best 22”. Worth a shot.

Team is much stronger with English and Richards in, and McComb out.

We win. By plenty.

bornadog
08-07-2022, 12:29 AM
To be honest, we don't know that Hannan will line up as a defender but it does look likely. Maybe he is the 2nd ruck.
Agree about Schache as well but he needs to bounce back this week. Glad he isn't the yo-yo player.

Maybe Schache goes back and Hannan forward

Bullies
08-07-2022, 08:51 AM
Maybe Schache goes back and Hannan forward Hannan played a lot down back in the 2's last week.

Mantis
08-07-2022, 10:10 AM
I don't expect the track to be that heavy, and the centre should have been covered during the heavy rain from earlier in the week.

After a sunny day and 16 degrees tomorrow the surface should be playing pretty well.

They've had 600mm of rain this week and it only stopped raining yesterday.. Sure the centre square wicket area would've been covered, but that's a shit load of rain.

Happy Days
08-07-2022, 10:18 AM
I wouldn’t hate Hannan doing a job on that weird looking bastard Blakey. He’s probably our only guy with the speed and size to go with him.

Axe Man
08-07-2022, 10:23 AM
Tim O'Brien dropped makes me happy. Don't see anything in him at all and still have 2 years and 6 games left on his contract.

Only because I have read this twice in 2 days on here - Tim O'Brien signed a 2 year contract, out of contract at the end of 2023.

Axe Man
08-07-2022, 10:27 AM
Swans playing 3 fairly tall forwards in Buddy, Reid and Amartey. Will we go undersized on one with Williams or Hannan or does Schache play back?

Heeney and Papley are concerns as well. Richards seems a good match for Heeney with his size and speed, Scott might have to take Papley.

bornadog
08-07-2022, 10:28 AM
Swans playing 3 fairly tall forwards in Buddy, Reid and Amartey. Will we go undersized on one with Williams or Hannan or does Schache play back?

I would go with Schache and leave Hannan forward. Why experiment now?

Mantis
08-07-2022, 10:30 AM
Posted the same question as Axe.

To bad's point why experiment with Schache back when we've been playing him forward?

I'm actually sick to death of picking line-ups that have us guessing where we're going to have players playing... what chance do our players have when we are consistently shuffling the deck?

Axe Man
08-07-2022, 10:35 AM
I would go with Schache and leave Hannan forward. Why experiment now?

Schache could play on whoever their relief ruck is (Amartey or Reid) and follow them into the ruck. English can ruck whenever Ladhams is in there. Makes sense so no way it happens.

bornadog
08-07-2022, 10:40 AM

To bad's point why experiment with Schache back when we've been playing him forward?

I'm actually sick to death of picking line-ups that have us guessing where we're going to have players playing... what chance do our players have when we are consistently shuffling the deck?

I think Schache is less of an experiment back than Hannan. Schache has played quite a few games in the VFL in the backline, Hannan one.

But, as you say, who knows.

The other concern for tonight is three players are coming back from concussion.

azabob
08-07-2022, 10:54 AM

It is all part of GVGjr plan to keep the posting traffic on woof.

G-Mo77
08-07-2022, 11:26 AM

That's where Beveridge lets himself down, he tries to get too cute with selections and IMO is that it's to keep opponents guessing. It rarely works, they select their best lineup and blow us away for a quarter or completely, then we play catch up.

You're right, for players to learn a position they need stability. Schache plays VFL defensive, 1 game back, scrap it after a quarter and into the forward line, dropped next week. Now returns as a Ruck/Fwd. It's one or the other! This is just one player as an example, there are quite a few more over the years.

Bulldog4life
08-07-2022, 11:57 AM
I wouldn’t hate Hannan doing a job on that weird looking bastard Blakey. He’s probably our only guy with the speed and size to go with him.

His nick name is Lizard.

jeemak
08-07-2022, 02:36 PM
They've had 600mm of rain this week and it only stopped raining yesterday.. Sure the centre square wicket area would've been covered, but that's a shit load of rain.

It's physics. Pretty sure SCG has one of these installed:

https://blog.sporteng.com.au/what-is-perched-water-table#:~:text=A%20perched%20water%20table%20solution%20bring s%20various%20benefits%20to%20your,to%20a%20resilient%20turf %20surface.

It will be softer than usual but not a complete bog I wouldn't have thought, while any surface water should be dried out by today's weather.

Well, in theory anyway! As usual, I could be FoS and proved wrong once the game commences!

Scraggers
08-07-2022, 07:59 PM
The inclusion of Amartey worries me. He always seems to play well against us.