PDA

View Full Version : NAB Rising Star Nominations

The Coon Dog
26-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I'll update this each week.

1. Bachar Houli - Essendon (Western Jets)
2. Josh Hill - Western Bulldogs (Claremont)
3. Rhys Palmer - Fremantle (East Fremantle)
4. Kieran Jack - Sydney (Pennant Hills)
5. Ben McKinley - West Coast (Northern Knights)
6. Cyril Rioli - Hawthorn (St. Mary's)
7. Austin Wonaeamirri - Melbourne (St. Mary's)
8. Kurt Tippett - Adelaide (Southport)
9. Garrick Ibbotson - Fremantle (East Fremantle)
10. Nathan Brown - Collingwood (Ballarat Rebels)
11. Matthew Kreuzer - Carlton (Northern Knights)
12. Trent Cotchin - Richmond (Northern Knights)
13. Jarryd Morton - Hawthorn (Claremont)
14. Colin Garland - Melbourne (Tasmanian Devils)
15. Jack Riewoldt - Richmond (Tasmanian Devils)
16. Kyle Reimers - Essendon (Peel Thunder)
17. Brad Ebert - West Coast (Port Adelaide Magpies)
18. Gavin Urquhart - North Melbourne (Morningside)
19. Shaun Grigg - Carlton (North Ballarat)
20. Cale Morton - Melbourne (Claremont)
21. Bradd Dalziell - Brisbane (East Fremantle)
22. Alipate Carlile - Port Adelaide (Murray Bushrangers)

hujsh
26-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Disappointing. Even Brown would have been better but i think they would have been eager to include the first muslim

mjp
27-03-2008, 02:12 AM
C'mon TCD. Surely you meant 'Former Western Jet, Bachar Houli'?

Before too many more cynics roll in, 26 possessions on the weekend was a pretty good return in game number 5. Not sure why he wasn't a worthy winner hujsh.

hujsh
27-03-2008, 02:51 AM

Before too many more cynics roll in, 26 possessions on the weekend was a pretty good return in game number 5. Not sure why he wasn't a worthy winner hujsh.

Didn't see him but heard that he got allot of handball recieves and then panicked with his disposal. His team was dominating most of the match.

Brown beat Pav in what I'm guessing is his first game which is more valuable that what Houli did especially considering Pav's record against the Pies. Saved them at least 5 goals

Hill...well we've all heard about Hill. Contested marks. Steady when the team was under pressure got tagged by McLeod.

Would have thought Brown but certainly Houli's performance would be worthy most weeks.

The Coon Dog
27-03-2008, 06:46 AM

Good point. I'll put in brackets where the player was recruited from.

Bulldog Revolution
27-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Houli has looked super impressive in the preseason to me, neat little left foot, and seems to have a very big engine, and hes clearly been doing some work in the weight room

It is great to see a few Jets getting through to the AFL and a credit to the coaching staff ;)

Lets hope Steve Kretiuk and the current coaches can keep that trend going

GVGjr
27-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Houli has looked super impressive in the preseason to me, neat little left foot, and seems to have a very big engine, and hes clearly been doing some work in the weight room

It is great to see a few Jets getting through to the AFL and a credit to the coaching staff ;)

Lets hope Steve Kretiuk and the current coaches can keep that trend going

We should have drafted Houli in my opinion. Just the sort of hard at it midfielder forward that we need.

Kretiuk was impressive for the Werribee 2nds so its a great step for him.

The Coon Dog
27-03-2008, 10:14 AM
We should have drafted Houli in my opinion.

He went at pick 42. Our only pick prior to that was pick 11 where we drafted Andrejs Everitt. Pick 45 was our second pick, but he was gone by then.

Desipura
27-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Good to see he recovered from the stoush he and a teammate had at training after their win against the Dogs.
Lets just say the player in question was voted BOG on the weekend and got a little personal which resulted in a full on punch up.

Topdog
27-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Didn't see him but

The rest of your post is now useless IMO. You cannot comment on someone you didn't see.

bornadog
27-03-2008, 02:05 PM
i think they would have been eager to include the first muslim

that is a strange comment. Also, he is not the first muslim to play AFL.

Go_Dogs
27-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I was a little disappointed that Hill didn't win the nomination this week as I watched both games pretty closely and had Hill ahead of Houli. Houli by no means played a bad game though, and his attack on the contest and ability to find the ball was pretty impressive. I'm still of the opinion Hill was a little unlucky, but he'll get other opportunities.

ledge
27-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Who are the judges of the rising star?
I think Bachar deserved it and i think he will be known as a good hard working 200 game player in the future, obviously Essendon is looking at him as part of theyre big engine room.
I always thought once he cracked it in the seniors he would only miss games through injury, big call maybe but some players you can just tell.

hujsh
27-03-2008, 04:44 PM
that is a strange comment. Also, he is not the first muslim to play AFL.

Really? Who? Didn't Seven do all that pre-game stuff on him being the first?

Also being the first muslim means the AFL has a way to attract another group of people to the AFL. They would be wetting their pants at a chance to get people who would traditionally prefer soccer into an Essendon Jumper

hujsh
27-03-2008, 04:44 PM
The rest of your post is now useless IMO. You cannot comment on someone you didn't see.

Can still have my opinion

The Coon Dog
27-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Can still have my opinion
Sure can, but if preceded with 'Didn't see him, but...' it immediately lacks any credibility whatsoever.

hujsh
27-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Sure can, but if preceded with 'Didn't see him, but...' it immediately lacks any credibility whatsoever.

I don't think i have that much credibility anyway so I'm happy.

Mantis
27-03-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't think i have that much credibility anyway so I'm happy.

Well stick to BF then...

hujsh
27-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Well stick to BF then...

The second i finished that sentence i thought you'd have something to say.

So nice:rolleyes:

ledge
27-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Hujsh at this rate with everyone picking on you i doubt you will get the rising star on this website

hujsh
27-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Hujsh at this rate with everyone picking on you i doubt you will get the rising star on this website

Danm:D

ledge
27-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Or win the spelling bee!

LostDoggy
27-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I think Houli is a very worthy winner. 26 disposals in his 5th game is by no means an easy feat.

Did his nomination have to do with his preparation in the NAB Cup? He starred in those two televised matches and the judges have said that they like to go with players that arent just a once off. In that case, if Brown keeps Brown quiet on the weekend then i would imagine he would get a nomination aswell.

Bulldog Revolution
27-03-2008, 10:33 PM
We should have drafted Houli in my opinion. Just the sort of hard at it midfielder forward that we need.

He is exactly the typ we could use to compliment Higgins, Griffen, Cooney, Hill, Stack, Lynch, Harbrow etc

Obviously if we'd got the chance to draft him we might not have had all those guys, but he certainly compliments Essendons newfound speedsters well

The Coon Dog
30-03-2008, 09:32 PM
So, who are possibilities to be nominated this week? I didn't see all the games, but from what I have seen those to be considered are Nathan Brown - Coll, Josh Hill - WB, Harry Taylor - Geel, Rhys Palmer - Freo.

CraigW
30-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Collingwood supporters will create a lot of attention towards Brown which will help him. But he is a defender giving the more attacking Josh Hill an advantage

hujsh
30-03-2008, 09:57 PM
I wasn't as impressed with Brown this week so carn Hill

Bulldog Revolution
31-03-2008, 12:25 AM
I think its down to Hill and Brown this week, and being enormously biased I think Hill should get it

In his present form its going to be hard to stop him getting a nomination shortly, and I think he'll take it in his stride - I am loving how hard he is working without the footy

BulldogBelle
31-03-2008, 04:22 AM
Possible leaders after round 2 according to some stats I got from Footywire
AFL Rising Star Stats after Round 2 2008
Name Team DT SC
Josh Hill Bulldogs 178 218
Travis Tuck Hawks 163 171
Cameron Stokes Hawks 140 174
Ryan Gamble Cats 138 158
Cyril Rioli Hawks 136 181
Jarryn Geary Saints 135 164
Alipate Carlile Power 129 121
Kieran Jack Swans 128 151
Bachar Houli Bombers 127 120
Samuel Lonergan Bombers 117 129
Courtenay Dempsey Bombers 110 139
Tom Hawkins Cats 106 125
Simon Buckley Demons 104 84
Cale Morton Demons 100 128
Leroy Jetta Bombers 97 122

Josh Hill, way out in front.

aker39
31-03-2008, 09:58 AM
So, who are possibilities to be nominated this week? I didn't see all the games, but from what I have seen those to be considered are Nathan Brown - Coll, Josh Hill - WB, Harry Taylor - Geel, Rhys Palmer - Freo.

Don't know whether you saw the Freo v Hawks game TCD, but Rioli will go very close this week.

The Coon Dog
31-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Don't know whether you saw the Freo v Hawks game TCD, but Rioli will go very close this week.

And Travis Tuck too.

Bulldog Revolution
31-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Dont you think they are more likely to give it to someone whose been in form for a couple of weeks?

mjp
31-03-2008, 12:22 PM
And Travis Tuck too.

And Rhys Palmer.

The Coon Dog
31-03-2008, 12:24 PM
And Rhys Palmer.
I remembered him, good goal in the last quarter.

ledge
31-03-2008, 07:37 PM
2 good games in a row, got to be a bit of pressure there for them to give it to him.

The Underdog
31-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I've always been fairly clueless as to how they pick the nominees each week. It rarely seems to be the best performance but usually a guy who has built up a few good games. I'm not a huge fan of this award to be honest. I think the criteria is fairly random and not a big believer in the judges.

ledge
31-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Who are the judges?

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 08:23 PM
2 good games in a row, got to be a bit of pressure there for them to give it to him.

Well if they don't we'll organise a riot down at NAB HQ and demand that Hill be given the nomination. We'll take hostages and give them a list of demands....Sorry guys I got a bit carried away there!!

RORY
31-03-2008, 08:56 PM
The first 5 rounds are fairly difficult to pick up a rising star nomination because 2nd or 3rd year players are coming in after huge preseasons and are looking to impress as well as the 1st round draft picks from the year before playing in the opening rounds.

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 09:44 PM
And Rhys Palmer.

and Cam Stokes and Ryan Gamble.

westdog54
01-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Its only round 1 and the number of potential nominees, all very worthy nominees, being discussed is phenomenal.

Could this be the most hotly contested Rising Star ever?

dogman
01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Just Heard on SEN, Josh Hill is this weeks Nominee. Great News.

Congratulations to Hill, hope he keeps up the great work during the year and looking forward to next few years, getting fitter, stronger and bigger.

Go_Dogs
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Yes, well done to Josh for getting the nomination this week - well deserved. Hopefully he can continue the same standard throughout the year and have a real crack at winning the award.

bornadog
01-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Well if they don't we'll organise a riot down at NAB HQ and demand that Hill be given the nomination. We'll take hostages and give them a list of demands....Sorry guys I got a bit carried away there!!

You can put away the amo they heard you.:D

The Coon Dog
02-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Bulldog Josh Hill is Round 2 Rising Star nominee (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23465137-19742,00.html)

FOOTBALL continues to be full of surprises for Western Bulldogs teenager Josh Hill.

The 19-year-old made his debut last year out of the blue and today was named the Round 2 NAB Rising Star nomination for his performance against Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday in what was just his third AFL game.

"It was a pretty big shock to find out, especially watching all the other players like Cyril Rioli," Hill said today.

Hill's fortunes are rising fast. He kicked a goal and gathered 16 possessions in the narrow three-point win over Adelaide in Round 1 and booted three goals among 17 possessions in the Western Bulldogs’ 95-point demolition of the Demons.

Hill said improved fitness after a big pre-season was the key reason for his improved form after he played the majority of last year for VFL side Werribee. He played one game in Round 17 against the West Coast Eagles.

"I was surprised to get picked (last year)," he said. "It was good to get picked. I didn't think my form deserved it, but to see the Eagles play was good for me."

Coach Rodney Eade said Hill had grabbed his chance to play AFL footy with both hands following the chance selection late last year to fill in for veteran Scott West.

“Josh is an example of what hard work can do. He didn’t really deserve his selection in that game last year but he jumped at it and worked extremely hard over the pre-season," Eade said.

“He has done well in our first two games because he has continued to train hard and focus on what the coaches are advising him to do. His form thus far has been encouraging and his work rate off the ball is very pleasing to see."

Hill was recruited from Claremont and the Kingsley Leopards in Perth. While not invited to the 2006 AFL draft camp, he impressed at the state screening and was the Bulldogs’ fourth selection (61 overall) in the draft that year. He represented Western Australia in the 2006 national under-16 championships.

Desipura
02-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I hope this inspires other pups who may not have the right attitude to turn things around and give themselves every opportunity to play AFL.

The Coon Dog
09-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Well done to Rhys Palmer from Freo who was the round 3 NAB Rising Star nominee. He can seriously play this kid. Well done to him, gettting nominated in the pressure cooker that is the derby.

mjp
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Well done to Rhy Palmer from Freo who was the round 3 NAB Rising Star nominee. He can seriously play this kid. Well done to him, gettting nominated in the pressure cooker that is the derby.

Especially after getting 20 staples stuck in his head after a first quarter collision...I wasn't a fan of his pre-draft, but his running ability (willingness?) is certainly something to be reckoned with.

The Coon Dog
09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Malthouse slams Rising Star criteria (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23511606-19742,00.html)

COLLINGWOOD coach Mick Malthouse has delivered a broadside at the AFL for relying on eye-catching performances to select their best young player each round.

In an open criticism of the selectors, Malthouse said high-possession winners usually won the NAB Rising Star award while defenders were generally overlooked.

He implied Collingwood's 18-year-old key defender Nathan Brown would have been a worthy winner of a nomination for the award after a brilliant start to his debut season.

The former elite basketballer has coped impressively this year holding three of the most prolific forwards in the competition - Fremantle's Matthew Pavlich, Brisbane's Jonathan Brown and Richmond's Matthew Richardson.

And he is set to stand Brendan Fevola in this Sunday's blockbuster against Carlton at the MCG. e Malthouse said he was unable to understand the formula the league's football operations department used in selecting the rising Star nominee.

"I get a little bit mystified why players who don't get a lot of football seem to get ignored in the NAB Rising Star award," Malthouse said.

"I think you have to have 30 possessions or 20 possessions before you get looked at.

"I don't know whether they actually take into consideration the calibre of the opponent they're playing on.

"Nathan's first three games anyway have been good enough to be one of our better players."

Of the 15 winners since the Rising Star award began in 1993 just one has been a dedicated defender - Melbourne's Jared Rivers in 2004.

Magpie defender Tyson Goldsack, voted the club's best first-year player last year, was not nominated for the award until round 21.

"I never get surprised at NAB Rising Star nominees, given that I think it was very late in the (2007) season that (Tyson) Goldsack got nominated," Malthouse said.

He said Brown was set to take on Fevola this weekend in yet another major test as he did not believe in easing players into games. pe "He's a key back. Fevola's a key forward. I'm not going to hide players. If they're good enough to play, they're good enough to play," Malthouse said.

"I don't go for easing players in, I don't go for soft options.

"If the player matches up he plays on that player."

Sockeye Salmon
09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I've got another theory Mick, he hasn't been as good as Houli, Hill and Palmer.

Whinge loud enough, though, and you can be sure he'll get it this week.

I hope Fev kicks 10 on him just to spite Malthouse.

Mantis
09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I've got another theory Mick, he hasn't been as good as Houli, Hill and Palmer.

Whinge loud enough, though, and you can be sure he'll get it this week.

I hope Fev kicks 10 on him just to spite Malthouse.

Here here... Brown has been impressive, but no more impressive than those already nominated.

Bulldog Revolution
10-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Especially after getting 20 staples stuck in his head after a first quarter collision...I wasn't a fan of his pre-draft, but his running ability (willingness?) is certainly something to be reckoned with.

Very impressive indeed

If I remember correctly it was his disposal that attracted the most question marks pre-draft

How have his skills by foot been?

Go_Dogs
10-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Here here... Brown has been impressive, but no more impressive than those already nominated.

Agreed. He looks to be a very promising type though...should come close this week if he performs well.

The Coon Dog
13-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Some more players out their hands up for a nomination this week.

Matthew Leuenberger appears the favourite to me. Along with Nathan Brown, others who have played well this week include Ben McKinley, Cyril Rioli, Kieron Jack & Tom Hawkins.

LostDoggy
13-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Along with Nathan Brown, others who have played well this week include Ben McKinley, Cyril Rioli, Kieron Jack & Tom Hawkins.

I have no idea how he played but when Fev kicked 8 and he was made to look silly on the last goal, some how I doubt he deserves it.
Is he another Collingwood 4 game champion? Just like Jon Ballantyne and a heap of others were?

The Coon Dog
13-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I have no idea how he played but when Fev kicked 8 and he was made to look silly on the last goal, some how I doubt he deserves it.
Is he another Collingwood 4 game champion? Just like Jon Ballantyne and a heap of others were?
Sometimes they award it to someone who might not have been a standout in that particular week, but have been playing well consistantly.

LostDoggy
13-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Sometimes they award it to someone who might not have been a standout in that particular week, but have been playing well consistantly.
Not disputing that he hasn't been consistent, more that if he played for most other clubs he would be a no name still.
Rioli seemed good for what i saw.

hujsh
13-04-2008, 09:45 PM

I didn't watch the match but it looked like Harry O'Brien was with Fev.

It wouldn't surprise me if Brown was on Cloke.

Rioli for me as well. Leuenberger was good but needs one or two more solid preformances before he deserves it.

mjp
13-04-2008, 11:02 PM
White and Reiwoldt were both very good for Richmond.

westdog54
14-04-2008, 02:59 AM

TBH I reckon that's how Adam Cooney got his nomination in his debut season. He seemed to be on the verge of being nominated but seemed to always get edged out.

I think the headline on the afl website story was "Finally, Adam Cooney gets his rising star nomination"

Go_Dogs
14-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Brown spent the majority of the game forward for the Pies, did some nice things and kicked a couple. He moved onto Fev for a few patches but it wasn't his best game.

I think Rioli is a lock this week. His defensive workrate was outstanding and a big part of the Hawks good win against a pretty decent quality side.

The Underdog
15-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Kieran Jack it is. Making his name as a tough little run with player and starting to get a bit of it himself.

hujsh
15-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Well the Malthouse speech worked, just not for his player.

Cyril is really having to work for his.

The Coon Dog
22-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Well done to West Coast youngster Ben McKinley who is the round 5 NAB Rising Star nominee.

lowedog
22-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Has to be Cyril Rioli soon, surely?

GVGjr
22-04-2008, 04:49 PM

He has been sensational hasn't he?

hujsh
22-04-2008, 04:57 PM

He has been sensational hasn't he?

My only regret in not starting him in my DT every week

lowedog
22-04-2008, 04:58 PM
It is a mockery if he doesnt get it this week. The AFL says it doesnt have to be just one game. If thats the case, it has to be junior boy this week!

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but missing out on this guy will hurt a few teams images in my opinion and prossibly ours as well. Thats no knock on Grant but Rioli is a super talent and given what Dog Town has written about our lack of depth with runners, having the Junior boy in our team would be very exciting.

hujsh
22-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but missing out on this guy will hurt a few teams images in my opinion and prossibly ours as well. Thats no knock on Grant but Rioli is a super talent and given what Dog Town has written about our lack of depth with runners, having the Junior boy in our team would be very exciting.

A bigger lack of depth than key forwards?;)

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 08:00 PM
A bigger lack of depth than key forwards?;)

But Grant can't play that for us at the moment. Even if he plays a few games soon, at best he will be a flanker. Junior boy could play 16 games or more at a higher level this season for the Hawks. I know key position players take more time but I'm trying to say that Rioli has that star quality about him at the moment.

hujsh
22-04-2008, 08:17 PM
But Grant can't play that for us at the moment. Even if he plays a few games soon, at best he will be a flanker. Junior boy could play 16 games or more at a higher level this season for the Hawks. I know key position players take more time but I'm trying to say that Rioli has that star quality about him at the moment.

But no doubt if we overlook Grant for a small with our first choice there would be a riot. Especially if a top 20 tall came on (Henderson would be the other one i think)

The Coon Dog
29-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Cyril Rioli has won the NAB Rising Star nomination this week. It was just a matter of time, tho I thought Garrick Ibbotson & Tom Hawkins both played well on Friday night.

The opening post in this thread is updated weekly as each nomination is announced.

westdog54
29-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Ibbotson was unlucky, but Cyril has been more than deserving.

Go_Dogs
29-04-2008, 10:52 AM

It is interesting isn't it. I think the fact that we got a 'first round runner' in Ward will offset it a little a bit. Would love to have either Rioli or Krakouer (from the year before) on the list though, thats for sure, sadly we can't have everyone.

Well done to Cyril for his nomination this week. I'm proud to say he's been a part of my supercoach team from day dot.

Bulldog Revolution
29-04-2008, 02:00 PM
It is interesting isn't it. I think the fact that we got a 'first round runner' in Ward will offset it a little a bit. Would love to have either Rioli or Krakouer (from the year before) on the list though, thats for sure, sadly we can't have everyone.

I agree on both of them but surely we cant be giving Clayton anymore reasons to draft lightly built running types

The list needed some balancing, although maybe Grant is just that; a lightly built flanker type but we have to hope that Clayton knows what he is doing

The Coon Dog
06-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Congrats to Demon's rookie listed player Austin Wonaeamirri who is the round 7 NAB Rising Star nominee.

Not bad, 2 weeks in a row St. Mary's Football Club in the NT have produced the Rising Star.

GVGjr
06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Congrats to Demon's rookie listed player Austin Wonaeamirri who is the round 7 NAB Rising Star nominee.

Not bad, 2 weeks in a row St. Mary's Football Club in the NT have produced the Rising Star.

Our own Griffen#16 was talking him up before the draft last year. He looks like an exciting players and it will be a shame if he has to go back to the rookie list once Neitz is OK.

Dancin' Douggy
06-05-2008, 09:32 PM
I agree on both of them but surely we cant be giving Clayton anymore reasons to draft lightly built running types

The list needed some balancing, although maybe Grant is just that; a lightly built flanker type but we have to hope that Clayton knows what he is doing

Remember how skinny Chris Grant was?

Go_Dogs
07-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Our own Griffen#16 was talking him up before the draft last year. He looks like an exciting players and it will be a shame if he has to go back to the rookie list once Neitz is OK.

Has been pleasing to see Austin do well - he still looks a little on the chubby side to me, but his game on the weekend was fantastic from all reports. 4 goals and 2 assists, and some great defensive efforts to go with it. Once he builds his motor a little more, he'll be very good for the Dees for years to come. Just a talented player.

I'm sure Bailey is hoping (in the nicest way) one of the many passengers go down with a long term injury and allow Austin to stay on the senior list for the duration of the year. Will be great for his development.

The Coon Dog
27-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Well done to Freo's Garrick Ibbotson who won this weeks NAB rising star award. Tough to choose this week as Sharrod Wellingham from Collingwood & Nathan Brown from Collingwood all performed well.

Any thoughts on a winner thus far?

For mine it appears to be a race in two, Palmer or Rioli.

Sockeye Salmon
27-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Well done to Freo's Garrick Ibbotson who won this weeks NAB rising star award. Tough to choose this week as Sharrod Wellingham from Collingwood & Nathan Brown from Collingwood all performed well.

Any thoughts on a winner thus far?

For mine it appears to be a race in two, Palmer or Rioli.

Palmer, easily.

Go_Dogs
27-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Palmer will be disadvantaged by the fact he's playing in a hopeless team. I'll vote for Cyril. He's just outstanding.

hujsh
27-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Palmer.

Dominating the middle in a hopeless team which would make it harder.

Rioli has been great but being a crumbing forward for Hawthorn when you've got Franklin and Roughead isn't the hardest job in the world

Scorlibo
27-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Palmer atm, but Rioli is right up there, as is Ibbotson - who has been consistent enough not to attract a nomination till now. Very good user of the ball from what I've seen. Cotchin is a chance. McKinley's been good aswell.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-05-2008, 10:11 PM
The fact that Fremantle have an average midfield betters his chance, not weakens. He's one of their main mids and it's only his first year - if he were at a club like ours, despite his talent, I highly doubt he'd be given the same opportunities. He's showed a lot so far, I think he'd be in front by some way, and he deserves to be.

He'll be a star in a couple of years time.

The Coon Dog
03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Pies fans finally got their wish this week as Nathan Brown has been awarded the NAB Rising Star nomination for round 10.

Sockeye Salmon
03-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Pies fans finally got their wish this week as Nathan Brown has been awarded the NAB Rising Star nomination for round 10.

Despite getting pwned by Josh Kennedy in a side that won by 100 pts?

The Coon Dog
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Despite getting pwned by Josh Kennedy in a side that won by 100 pts?

I think they were waiting for a week when there was no standout & gave it to him based on his form early in the season, which was pretty good, given some of the tasks he was given.

LostDoggy
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
What about Addison or Tiller? Can they be nominated?

Sockeye Salmon
03-06-2008, 04:56 PM

Addison has played too many games but Tiller can be nominated.

The Coon Dog
03-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Can only have played 10 games or less in prevoius seasons to be eligible. Addison had played 13, so no he doesn't qualify. Tiller had played 5, so yes he does qualify.

The Coon Dog
10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Wasn't that difficult a decision this week to award the NAB Rising Star Nomination to Carlton's Matthew Kreuzer.

The Coon Dog
17-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Trent Cotchin of Richmond becomes the 3rd former Northern Knight to receive a NAB Rising Star Nomination this season.

Go_Dogs
17-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Trent Cotchin of Richmond becomes the 3rd former Northern Knight to receive a NAB Rising Star Nomination this season.

Well done to Cotchin, seems he has done well coming back from a pre-season injury and looks a very likely type.

Going to be a fairly hard decision come end of season I think.

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Addison has played too many games but Tiller can be nominated.

He's been on the list longer than Scott West!

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Round 13 NAB Rising Star Nominee is the Hawks Jarryd Morton, brother of Mitch at Richmond & Cale at Melbourne.

bornadog
24-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Can only have played 10 games or less in prevoius seasons to be eligible. Addison had played 13, so no he doesn't qualify. Tiller had played 5, so yes he does qualify.

What about Everitt, can he be nominated again this year? I thought he was terrific on the week end and watch this space in the next month as he ramps up.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 05:28 PM
What about Everitt, can he be nominated again this year? I thought he was terrific on the week end and watch this space in the next month as he ramps up.
Yes, he'd only played 8 games prior to this season.

Sedat
24-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Round 13 NAB Rising Star Nominee is the Hawks Jarryd Morton, brother of Mitch at Richmond & Cale at Melbourne.
Good nomination this week. I was impressed with him against us in Tassie...knows how to find the footy.

The Coon Dog
08-07-2008, 05:38 PM
The NAB Rising Star nominee for Round 14 is Melbourne's Colin Garland. Has been playing well for a few weeks now.

aker39
08-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Callan Ward will still be eligible next year.

The Coon Dog
08-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Callan Ward will still be eligible next year.

Depends. If he comes back into the side & we play finals he may not. If you play more than 10 games then you become ineligible. He has played 3 so far, so another 8 will rule him out. There are 8 games left plus finals.

ledge
08-07-2008, 06:08 PM
This must be one of the best talented NAB stars lists in a year looking at the names and consistency with a lot of them.

The Coon Dog
15-07-2008, 12:13 PM
For the second week running a Tassie Devil has won the NAB Rising Star nomination. Richmond's Jack Riewoldt is the round 15 nominee.

The Coon Dog
22-07-2008, 12:47 PM
He of the orange boots, Kyle Reimers of Essendon is the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 16.

ledge
22-07-2008, 01:39 PM
He has had a good year, deserves it.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 02:06 PM
It's interesting -- he has had far better weeks than last week, where he didn't play all that well. Looks like with Reimers and that Collingwood kid earlier in the year the Rising Star nomination is now awarded to players who have built up some brownie points if there are no standout nominees that particular week.

The Coon Dog
22-07-2008, 02:37 PM
It's interesting -- he has had far better weeks than last week, where he didn't play all that well. Looks like with Reimers and that Collingwood kid earlier in the year the Rising Star nomination is now awarded to players who have built up some brownie points if there are no standout nominees that particular week.

They've always done that Lantern.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh.

Shows how much attention I pay to the Rising Star. Thanks Coon Dog.

Scorlibo
23-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I thought Bradd Dalziell on debut would get it with his 32 disposals - the record on debut:confused: Paul Hasleby got a fair few in his debut. Reimers has been consistent though.

Mantis
23-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I thought Bradd Dalziell on debut would get it with his 32 disposals - the record on debut:confused: Paul Hasleby got a fair few in his debut. Reimers has been consistent though.

You would have thought so, but as you pointed out they have tended to pick players who have been consistent over 3 or 4 weeks (or longer) rather than reward guys who play one exceptional game.

The Coon Dog
23-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Dean Greig for St.Kilda holds the record for disposals on debut. He racked up 39 disposals at Waveley against Carlton in R21, 1991.

GetDimmaBack
23-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Do you have a footy encyclopedia in your head, TCD?

ledge
23-07-2008, 01:36 PM
TCD has a photographic memory and GOOGLE eyes, bloody legend as far as footy facts go, more so with the Western Bulldogs of course.
If they had a rising star in 1896 TCD would have pictures of him, his stats and his autograph.
No doubt Dalziell will get it next week if he plays a reasonable game.

Happy Days
23-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Another good Peel Thunder boy getting the job done at the highest level..

Go_Dogs
23-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Another good Peel Thunder boy getting the job done at the highest level..

Are you by any chance an old Peel lad?

Bulldog Revolution
26-07-2008, 01:16 PM

This has been in the back of my head for at least two months - I thought he was awesome last night and he really is an incredible talent

If Rhys Palmer is not playing for the rest of the year its going to be hard stopping Cyril from winning

GVGjr
26-07-2008, 02:25 PM
This has been in the back of my head for at least two months - I thought he was awesome last night and he really is an incredible talent

If Rhys Palmer is not playing for the rest of the year its going to be hard stopping Cyril from winning

Rhys has been selected this week hasn't he?
I would have Palmer a slight leader at the moment but with Cyril holding his spot in a strong team it must rate his performance even higher.

The Coon Dog
29-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Brad Ebert from West Coast is the round 17 NAB Rising Star nomination. Looks a quality player.

Go_Dogs
29-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Brad Ebert from West Coast is the round 17 NAB Rising Star nomination. Looks a quality player.

I'm sure Crows supporters are happy - the pressure on Dangerfield mounts.

Happy Days
29-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Are you by any chance an old Peel lad?

Lived over in WA when they started up...don't follow them too much these days.

The name was a dead give-away huh? :)

Sockeye Salmon
29-07-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm sure Crows supporters are happy - the pressure on Dangerfield mounts.

The Crows have made some strange draft decisions and Dangerfield over Ebert was one, Meeson over Wood was another.

One day they are going to have to realise that for those of us who weren't born in Adelaide really don't like the place. The sooner they concentrate on local talent the better it will be for them (not that I care if they don't).

The Coon Dog
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
North Melbourne's Gavin Urquhart is this weeks Rising Star Nominee.

hujsh
05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Dalziel? 32 possies first game and 34 second game are fairly impressive

The Coon Dog
12-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Shaun Grigg of Carlton is the round 19 NAB Rising Star nominee.

Here are the 19 nominated so far this season:

Scorlibo
12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Grigg has been playing very well all year, a worthy nominee.

Go_Dogs
12-08-2008, 10:21 PM
How does everyone think this years class of NAB nominees compares to last years (from the apparent super draft)?

hujsh
12-08-2008, 10:28 PM
How does everyone think this years class of NAB nominees compares to last years (from the apparent super draft)?

If it's comparing draft the NAB nominees won't work cause players from 2-3 years ago can be nominated as well

Sockeye Salmon
12-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Shaun Grigg of Carlton is the round 19 NAB Rising Star nominee.

Here are the 19 nominated so far this season:

6 of last years top 10 missed out.

3 - Masten
5 - Grant
6 - Myers
8 - Henderson
9 - McEvoy
10 - Dangerfield

The Coon Dog
12-08-2008, 11:55 PM
6 of last years top 10 missed out.

3 - Masten
5 - Grant
6 - Myers
8 - Henderson
9 - McEvoy
10 - Dangerfield

Make that 7, the #3 pick Cale Morton hasn't received a nomination (his brother got one for Hawthorn in round 13) either.

Go_Dogs
13-08-2008, 10:40 AM
If it's comparing draft the NAB nominees won't work cause players from 2-3 years ago can be nominated as well

I understand that, but generally I think it's still a relatively OK comparison.

mjp
14-08-2008, 12:53 AM
It doesn't really matter does it?

Cotchin was the best player in last years draft (apart from Grant, Ward, Boumann, Wood etc etc of course) and he has been nominated, so all is good with the world. As for Dangerfield missing out, well, I am pretty sure he is still playing one-out in the forward line for the Falcons in the TAC Cup!

Does the award really mean anything? I am pretty happy with what Ward has shown and he hasn't been nominated...

The Coon Dog
19-08-2008, 06:23 PM
You were a week early Sockeye. Cale Morton won the round 20 NAB Rising Star Nomination. That's 3 players from Claremont this season.

hujsh
19-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Dalziel still just waitin'

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 10:11 PM

In the game one of the commentators said he was ineligible cos he is already 21?

The Coon Dog
19-08-2008, 10:16 PM
In the game one of the commentators said he was ineligible cos he is already 21?

The commentator was wrong, he turned 21 in March. To be ineligible you had to have turned 21 before January 1.

The Coon Dog
26-08-2008, 02:56 PM

The waiting's over. Brisbane's Bradd Dalziell is the round 21 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

hujsh
26-08-2008, 05:23 PM
The waiting's over. Brisbane's Bradd Dalziell is the round 21 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

had to happen

The Coon Dog
01-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Alipate Carlile from Port Adelaid is the final NAB Rising Star nominee for 2008.

Here are all the nominees.

So who wins? Palmer or Rioli?

hujsh
01-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Surprising Carlile's eligible. Feels like he's been around for ages

The Bulldogs Bite
02-09-2008, 12:30 AM

I thought he'd been around for a little while too.

He's a quality improving player, he'll be a good defender.

Go_Dogs
02-09-2008, 10:44 AM

I think he played 9 or so games last year, this was his first full year. Played every game as a key defender, not bad for a kid. Thought he would've got a nomination earlier.

Tough to decide this year, seen a bit more of Palmer recently, and his attack and ability to find the ball (especially in tough areas of the ground) is impressive. I've been super impressed with Cyril too.

westdog54
11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Alipate Carlile from Port Adelaid is the final NAB Rising Star nominee for 2008.

Here are all the nominees.

So who wins? Palmer or Rioli?

Having not looked at any other forums to see if anyone else has had a go:

B: Ibbotson Carlile Urquhart
HB: Jack Brown C. Morton
C: Houli Palmer Hill
HF: Dalziell Riewoldt Reimers
F: Ebert McKinley Rioli
R: Kreuzer Grigg Cotchin
INT: Tippett Wonaeamirri J. Morton Garland

Don't know a heap about most of these players so I've probably butchered this, but feel free to comment/criticize

hujsh
11-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Don't know a heap about most of these players so I've probably butchered this, but feel free to comment/criticize

Doubt you could get closer to a real side than that.

LostDoggy
11-09-2008, 08:13 PM

AMAZING!
That really is something Westdog54, welldone!

Happy Days
11-09-2008, 08:17 PM

Very nice work.

The only thing I would change would be to switch Grigg and C.Morton.

westdog54
11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Very nice work.

The only thing I would change would be to switch Grigg and C.Morton.

On face value perhaps, but I was going from the angle that Kreuzer and Grigg could be a combo in coming years. As could Kreuzer and Murphy, Kreuzer and Judd, Kreuzer and Gibbs, whoever, just felt that Grigg fit better than Morton.

Only just.

westdog54
11-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Doubt you could get closer to a real side than that.

I think this year we're quite fortunate in that there are nominees from all positions. You've got midfield machines, key forward prospects, pure goal kickers like Rioli and McKinley, the athletic ruckman Kreuzer, and born and bred defenders like Carlile and Brown.