PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 16, 2022 vs Brisbane

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2022, 06:17 PM
This is the Round 16, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Brisbane is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-07-2022, 09:00 AM
Bankers

1. Libba - he was doing what he has been these last few weeks, leading from the front, urging his teammates to follow his lead, alas they didn't pick up on what he was laying down.
2. JUH - first time I've seen him play in person, and I liked what I saw. He looks strong and fit, and seemed to understand the off the ball stuff he needs to do. He must play the remainder of the season.
3. Well done to Bedendo slotting his first goal. Has some tools to work with.

Anchors

1. Our forward entry was horrifying to watch, so many kicks delivered to defenders advantage and players open being ignored. Ball carriers were just not scanning the horizon to see what options were on the table to consider. So many balls to the pockets when there were more dangerous options to exploit. Very Naughton centric, and maybe too much faith in his ability to grab balls in crowds of players.

2. McComb. I thought he'd been trending up in recent weeks, but tonight was a return to his first handfull of games where he just totally incapable of hitting any targets either by hand or foot, and on at least 2 occasions I can remember he seemed to do his best impression of dry pasta attempting to tackle a cannon ball.

3. Umpires were shocking all night. Lions supporters nearby were laughing their heads off, saying it was umpires evening up from last year's finals game. 3 Times Cameron illegally pushed Scott, and was only pinged for one of them.

azabob
01-07-2022, 09:32 AM
Bankers

1. Liberatore
2. Bontempelli
3. JUH had a good game, beat his opponent who was often undersized, but hey he presented and took marks. Shame he couldn't convert his opportunities. Should have had 2-3 goals.

Anchors

1. Our entire ground defense was very ordinary. Truth be told I'm not sure if it was any worse or better than the last two weeks; only difference this week is we could not score.

2. We got absolutely nothing out of our small forwards. Weightman, West, JJ, McComb. I'm not sure what Treloar role is anymore. I wonder if he does?

3. Our forward set up was all wrong. Watching from the couch Brisbane outcoached us big time.
Naughton was matched with Adams.
Schache was matched with Andrews
Ugle-Hagan had either Rich or a similar undersized player.
Andrews time and time again was allowed to zone off and double team Naughton.
Brisbane smartly played an undersized defender on JUH and allowed JUH a lot of ball outside 50.
We really should have had Schache as the lead up forward with Naughton and JUH as the stay at home forwards.

bornadog
01-07-2022, 10:40 AM
YHF already said what I wanted to say, so I will pick some moments from the game:

Bankers

1. Dom's first AFL goal - looked cool carm and collected when he went back and slotted it through.

2. Libba's great goal from the boundary on his left foot on the left side of goals - brilliant

3. JUH taking some really strong marks.

Anchors

1. McComb's lack of skills. I watched him play VFL the week before his debut and he butchered the ball several times, so I was surprised he was picked. Last night he really butchered it. Needs to go back to VFL and work on his disposals as he is killing us.

2. Hipwood - pushing Gardner into the ump and then running down and marking and goaling. - Bloody Cheat

3. Schache - running into an open goal - twice and fluffing it

bornadog
01-07-2022, 10:42 AM
bankers

3. jhu had a good game,

brisbane smartly played an undersized defender on jhu and allowed jhu a lot of ball outside 50.
We really should have had schache as the lead up forward with naughton and jhu as the stay at home forwards.

juh. :)

azabob
01-07-2022, 11:03 AM

thanks teach

westbulldog
01-07-2022, 11:08 AM
Bankers
Liberatore - set the example, few followed.
Ugle-Hagan - some more glimpses of the talent he has.
Sweet - worth persisting with, had a good game imo.

Anchors
Club management - GF last year, new inexperienced assistant coaches this year and look where we are when Bob Murphy, Matt Boyd and Joel Corey are at Freo and Dale Morris not involved at all (?).
Crozier and Schache - goodbye.
The last 1/4 capitulation - was it the 5 day break and travel or just an unacceptable effort ?

EasternWest
01-07-2022, 11:11 PM

You wouldn't believe it but I saw some guy on Twitter today say "counter mount" when he meant to say "tantamount"!!!

bornadog
01-07-2022, 11:41 PM
You wouldn't believe it but I saw some guy on Twitter today say "counter mount" when he meant to say "tantamount"!!!

What a dickhead, but has that got to do with this?

EasternWest
02-07-2022, 09:34 AM
What a dickhead, but has that got to do with this?

Shrug. Just helping out someone who helped out someone else.

The Doctor
02-07-2022, 10:33 AM
Anchors
Club management - GF last year, new inexperienced assistant coaches this year and look where we are when Bob Murphy, Matt Boyd and Joel Corey are at Freo and Dale Morris not involved at all (?).

an unacceptable effort

I strongly agree with this.

We have let a lot of coaching experience walk out of the club. Monty, Gia, King, Corey, Hansen and not brought a lot back in when we are a contending side. Bevo has been cranky all year and it seems like he is trying to carry the club on his shoulders alone. Something isn't right. The Football dept needs to pull it's finger out and get some highly experienced coaching support for our senior coach.

Bulldog4life
02-07-2022, 11:06 AM

We have let a lot of coaching experience walk out of the club. Monty, Gia, King, Corey, Hansen and not brought a lot back in when we are a contending side. Bevo has been cranky all year and it seems like he is trying to carry the club on his shoulders alone. Something isn't right. The Football dept needs to pull it's finger out and get some highly experienced coaching support for our senior coach.

A lot of it was due to the soft cut being dramatically cut which Bevo was extremely vehemently opposed to.

Sedat
02-07-2022, 11:17 AM

Our president is in the witness protection program, and Bains/Grant are seemingly allergic to doing media, so the entire messaging from the club has been thrust onto Bevo's shoulders.

bornadog
02-07-2022, 11:55 AM
Our president is in the witness protection program, and Bains/Grant are seemingly allergic to doing media, so the entire messaging from the club has been thrust onto Bevo's shoulders.

Peter use to be more out there protecting the club

GVGjr
02-07-2022, 02:05 PM
A lot of it was due to the soft cut being dramatically cut which Bevo was extremely vehemently opposed to.

The cuts have hit us hard leaving a bit more on Bevo than is reasonable.

Chris Maple should be a bit more involved
Chris Grant needs to be more visible and of course the coaching assistants should be fronting the media more.
It can't be all left to Luke Beveridge to deal.

GVGjr
02-07-2022, 02:08 PM
Peter use to be more out there protecting the club

Does the club need protecting? I think we have well and truly passed that stage.
I'd like to see more of Kylie Watson-Wheeler because she presents well but I don't think she needs to be protecting the club.
What do we need protecting from?

bornadog
02-07-2022, 05:51 PM
Does the club need protecting? I think we have well and truly passed that stage.
I'd like to see more of Kylie Watson-Wheeler because she presents well but I don't think she needs to be protecting the club.
What do we need protecting from?

Maybe the wrong word protecting, maybe sticking up for the club.

If there is nothing to protect or stick up for, then people should not have a go at Bevo who is trying to protect his players from stupid media people.

GVGjr
02-07-2022, 06:13 PM
Maybe the wrong word protecting, maybe sticking up for the club.

If there is nothing to protect or stick up for, then people should not have a go at Bevo who is trying to protect his players from stupid media people.

But there is a big difference between sticking up for and protecting the club. You've clarified that now.
Do you think the Prez needs to be jumping in more to help Bevo? I would have thought it's more of a job for Grant and Bains.

To me we've had all those fights with City Hall years ago and the Prez needs to be focusing more on how the club is being managed, keeping it profitable, growing the membership base and improving the income streams more than dealing with a difficult media.
Now if others can't control that she may need to step in but I think Bevo just needs more visible and vocal support from the footy department more than from the Prez.

bornadog
02-07-2022, 06:27 PM
But there is a big difference between sticking up for and protecting the club. You've clarified that now.
Do you think the Prez needs to be jumping in more to help Bevo? I would have thought it's more of a job for Grant and Bains.

To me we've had all those fights with City Hall years ago and the Prez needs to be focusing more on how the club is being managed, keeping it profitable, growing the membership base and improving the income streams more than dealing with a difficult media.
Now if others can't control that she may need to step in but I think Bevo just needs more visible and vocal support from the footy department more than from the Prez.

Should be Bains, not Grant.

I was just saying Peter was more hands on.

jeemak
02-07-2022, 07:57 PM
Bankers:

1. Dom Bedendo - watching a first gamer kick a goal and celebrate is enough for me to enjoy a night

2. Our start - sure we dropped away badly but at least we started with some alertness and intensity. Just need to keep the effort up for longer

3. Rhylee West - finding a way to impact the game even if it wasn't all going his way. Two goals and five tackles in a predominantly small forward role on a tough night wasn't too bad at all

Anchors:

1. Between the arcs. Just put pressure on and don't allow easy uncontested marks

2. Forward ball use. Take it easy, lower the eyes, kick to advantage, and if you're going to have a crack at goal actually kick it like you mean it

3. Thursday night drinking. Jesus Christ I am no longer built for boozy football games followed by bar hopping around Richmond drinking dry martinis, single malt whiskies and shots of tequila. I actually don't think anyone is or should be, but I used to be reasonably close to being so. *!*!*!*!