PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 18, 2022 vs St Kilda

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-07-2022, 01:44 PM
This is the Round 18, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against St Kilda is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
15-07-2022, 10:48 PM
Bump

azabob
15-07-2022, 11:44 PM
Bankers
1. Ugle-Hagan kicked 3 goals and stayed in the game. He is building each week.
2. Gardner took King out of the game, couldn’t have asked much more of him tonight.
3. Bontempelli started well; finished well; possibly his best game for the year

Anchors
1. English second poor game in a row. He really needed to stand up against Ryder/Marshall. Luckily saints were woeful for 3 quarters
2. Smith gets so much footy and runs hard but gee whiz he can turn over the footy
3. Last quarter; couldn’t slow down the saints or stop their run on.

The bulldog tragician
16-07-2022, 12:17 AM
Bankers:

Bont was superb and reminded us what we have been missing

Jamarra just a little bit more assured each week, and his attack on the ball was terrific

Libba. The heartbeat. It so often all starts with him.

Anchors

We have a lot of out of form players. English, Bailey Williams, Weightman and Keath come to mind. And others that seem to totally disappear for a quarter or two even while we’re on top. Add Bazlenka’s kicking, and Bruce still way back in his recovery, and I’m not sure how we won..ok, see Banker One.

That last quarter. Brought back the scars of 2015. And took the gloss of a win that I’d otherwise have been happy with.

I’m still not sold on Hannan in the backline.

Bulldog4life
16-07-2022, 01:31 AM
Bankers
1. Ugle-Hagan kicked 3 goals and stayed in the game. He is building each week.
2. Gardner took King out of the game, couldn’t have asked much more of him tonight.
3. Bontempelli started well; finished well; possibly his best game for the year

Anchors
1. English second poor game in a row. He really needed to stand up against Ryder/Marshall. Luckily saints were woeful for 3 quarters
2. Smith gets so much footy and runs hard but gee whiz he can turn over the footy
3. Last quarter; couldn’t slow down the saints or stop their run on.

English had the most hit outs than the other 3 ruckmen.

SonofScray
16-07-2022, 01:37 AM
B

Bont looked more fresh than he has all year brilliant game.
Buku was really solid across HB
JUH strong performance, really adding the requisite elements to his game. There’s a big bag coming.

A
Dunkley is sand bagging. He is a poor leader.

merantau
16-07-2022, 09:24 AM
1. Bont's game was so good.
2. Jamarra took another step forward. He has shown some more of his tricks
3. Buku, Richards, Dale, Gardner and Treloar down back.

Anchors.
1 Turnovers inside our forward 50.
2. Missing easy goals
3. Going missing in the last quarter.

westbulldog
16-07-2022, 09:37 AM
Bankers
Bontempelli - a masterclass
Liberatore - close to the best midfielder in the AFL on his recent form.
West ,Richards and Garcia - they all bring some energy to the contest.

Anchors
Bruce - may as well have not been there.
Hannan and McNeill why we are putting games into them is mystifying.
The last 1/4 fadeout - lost %.

Bullies
16-07-2022, 12:47 PM
Bankers:

Bont was superb and reminded us what we have been missing

Jamarra just a little bit more assured each week, and his attack on the ball was terrific

Libba. The heartbeat. It so often all starts with him.

Anchors

We have a lot of out of form players. English, Bailey Williams, Weightman and Keath come to mind. And others that seem to totally disappear for a quarter or two even while we’re on top. Add Bazlenka’s kicking, and Bruce still way back in his recovery, and I’m not sure how we won..ok, see Banker One.

That last quarter. Brought back the scars of 2015. And took the gloss of a win that I’d otherwise have been happy with.

I’m still not sold on Hannan in the backline. Excellent summary. The last quarter was always going to happen. The first 3 quarters were very taxing due to the zone we put in place. Hard to keep that up for 4 quarters particularly with a number of players who were under done and needed the hit out ie: Bruce/Smith/English/Garcia/Hannan. Prior to the game I would have been than happy with a 28 point win.

boydogs
17-07-2022, 10:25 PM
We were more fired up before the game than usual to avoid being jumped like against Sydney. I think we wore out a bit