PDA

View Full Version : Our most improved player - 2022

GVGjr
17-07-2022, 10:58 AM
In a season where we haven't quite hit our straps as a team there has also been a few of our players putting in strong performances.

Who has impressed you the most this year and has really improved on previous seasons?

Grantysghost
17-07-2022, 11:32 AM
I went West. He’s gone from not looking likely to a permanent fixture and probably our best small forward in no time. His footy smarts are clearly inherited and I am really surprised how well he marks above his head.

Still has some work to do on his kicking but he’s starting to look like a long term prospect.

How well have we done with father sons ?

The Doctor
17-07-2022, 12:34 PM
I went with West just over Richards. I felt Richards had the game for AFL but hadn't been convinced by West to date. Both players have been terrific and have really developed well. Credit to both.

Jamarra probably 3rd. Think he is coming along nicely now. That mark off the boot laces v Saints! Who else takes that mark?

hujsh
17-07-2022, 01:44 PM
I think pre-concussion it's probably English. Even post concussion it's a big deal IMO that he won the hitouts against Marshall and Ryder. The other parts of his game will return.

Grantysghost
17-07-2022, 01:48 PM
I think pre-concussion it's probably English. Even post concussion it's a big deal IMO that he won the hitouts against Marshall and Ryder. The other parts of his game will return.

I thought he looked OK but sometimes it's harder at the match.
He had a brain fade out on the wing when he get corralled and then kicked it out on the full.

Looked like a giraffe who'd escaped from the zoo and didn't know which way to go next.

Mofra
17-07-2022, 01:51 PM
Has to be West, although he arguably didn't quite get the chances he deserved last year

MrMahatma
17-07-2022, 02:23 PM
There’s been some real improvement in a few.

I guess the “steepest drop off” would be similarly difficult to pin down, given how much poorer the team is than last year.

I went West for most improved. Really love what he’s bringing. Richards and English have both also improved a lot.

GVGjr
17-07-2022, 04:28 PM
21 votes in so far and I'm a bit surprised it's essentially a 2 horse race, I really thought Tim English would have a lot more votes headed his way and a few more Marra. Smith had really taken a step forward as well.

GVGjr
17-07-2022, 04:29 PM
There’s been some real improvement in a few.

I guess the “steepest drop off” would be similarly difficult to pin down, given how much poorer the team is than last year.

I went West for most improved. Really love what he’s bringing. Richards and English have both also improved a lot.

I'll start that one next week :) Good suggestion.

hujsh
17-07-2022, 05:23 PM
21 votes in so far and I'm a bit surprised it's essentially a 2 horse race, I really thought Tim English would have a lot more votes headed his way and a few more Marra. Smith had really taken a step forward as well.

I'd you'd done it a few rounds ago he'd have more votes for sure. Recency bias playing a part.

Grantysghost
17-07-2022, 05:30 PM
I'd you'd done it a few rounds ago he'd have more votes for sure. Recency bias playing a part.

Most improved I guess for me is a guy that wasn't playing ones or even looking like it becoming a welded on member of the team.

Primacy recency maybe a factor, I'd go:

West, English, Richards probably as my top 3

bornadog
17-07-2022, 06:20 PM
Most improved I guess for me is a guy that wasn't playing ones or even looking like it becoming a welded on member of the team.

I voted Ed for those reasons

hujsh
17-07-2022, 07:05 PM

Yeah if the criteria is around someone being outside the team and working their way in then West for sure. Richards I don't actually think is improved so much as he is fit. He looked good last year too we just didn't see enough of him.

English for me has gone from an ok 3rd tall/second ruck (not the best in the game like some people here have said he is) and an average ruck overall (poor ruckwork but good around the ground) to being talked up as one of the best ruckmen in the game and our best performer earlier in the the year. His ruckwork is much better and his around the ground impact was Cox-ish.

It's him or West for sure for me.

EasternWest
17-07-2022, 07:21 PM
West ahead of Richards.

Richards always looked like he had the goods, West looked like he was never going to make it.

Credit to him.

Hotdog60
17-07-2022, 09:05 PM
I would have to go with West last year he seemed selfish and trying to do too much fast forward to this year and things have clicked more team orientated and he's decision making is a lot better and has shown a lot of courage.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-07-2022, 09:08 PM
I went Richards as he has really developed but West probably has had a more dramatic improvement.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-07-2022, 09:28 PM
West's improvement has clearly been the most significant.

Richards has improved his consistency but was always a best 22 player when fit, had a bad run with it last year.

English had a good first couple of months but has been off the pace since.

Marra is improving steadily now, if he keeps it up it could be good to revisit this thread at seasons end.

boydogs
17-07-2022, 10:09 PM
No one else on Bailey Smith? Was in Brownlow contention half way through the year

Bulldog4life
18-07-2022, 10:59 AM
I have gone for Ryan Gardner. Going from Woof's whipping boy to the reliable defender he is now has been a huge step. He also plays against the other team's big forwards. One of the hardest positions, if not the hardest position, on the ground. Well done Ryan.

Scorlibo
18-07-2022, 01:47 PM
I've gone with Richards because he's clearly improved in the same role we always envisioned him playing. West I see more as a 'found his position' type improvement. He's bringing the same great attributes we saw in the VFL midfield to our AFL forward line. Both are killing it, keep it up fellas.

ps. English would probably win this poll if he'd had an uninterrupted season.

Mantis
18-07-2022, 02:02 PM

He is certainly winning more of the ball, but has his ability to hurt the opposition with his touches improved?

soupman
18-07-2022, 03:04 PM
Considering I had very openly written him off Rhylee Wests emergence as a genuinely good player is the winner for mine.

GVGjr
18-07-2022, 03:06 PM
He is certainly winning more of the ball, but has his ability to hurt the opposition with his touches improved?

His kicking skills have certainly dropped off.

Mantis
18-07-2022, 03:21 PM
His kicking skills have certainly dropped off.

I think it's same/ same.... his ability to hit the scoreboard through the final series in 2021 was brilliant, but lots on here (I was near the front of the queue) shared frustrations with his ball use/ decision making last year and it certainly hasn't gotten any better this year. He is already a very damaging player with his elite running power, but to take it to the next level he needs to improve his ability to hit targets.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-07-2022, 10:07 PM
Has to be West. Richards close behind but we all knew he was a jet but playing out of position. West playing in the hardest role of footy totally deserves the accolades

jazzadogs
19-07-2022, 11:26 AM
I think West's conversion from VFL player to best 22 is more impressive to me than Ed moving from 'injured' to best 22. Ed would not have missed many games that he was fit for.

Rhylee has not only shown his ability to be a great small forward, but he has shown he can impact the game when higher up the ground/in the midfield.

JUH, Gardner and English have all showed good signs this year as well.

AshMac
20-07-2022, 08:33 PM
West for me, he’s an automatic best 22 now which he’s wasn’t in a very short time. I remember it just clicked for his old man and he never looked back.

Richard honourable mention as others call out though I think it mostly has to do with him playing his natural and preferred position. Who’d have thought he was good at it….

AshMac
20-07-2022, 08:35 PM
This was supposed to be a reply to GVGJnr starting thread on player gone back the most. Didn’t hit reply properly:

I’m getting in early with Bailey Williams. Few brilliant games on the wing but largely a huge drop from his impact over last year

GVGjr
20-07-2022, 08:59 PM
This was supposed to be a reply to GVGJnr starting thread on player gone back the most. Didn’t hit reply properly:

I’m getting in early with Bailey Williams. Few brilliant games on the wing but largely a huge drop from his impact over last year

I'll start a thread and poll a bit later

ratsmac
22-07-2022, 08:50 AM
I picked English. If you think back 12 months, Lewis Young was getting picked as 1st ruck before English. Rightly or wrong that's a fact and there were reason's for it. Losing Bruce contributed but English was getting beaten in the ruck by part timers. Have a read through the "well ruck me" posts from last year for some background of how we thought he was going. His improvement this year is such that he was being compared to with Max Gawn at one point who is the best ruckman in the comp. He's been off a bit since the concussion but still a massive improvement.