PDA

View Full Version : Trade hypotheticals

Mofra
13-08-2022, 11:40 AM
Would you do it?

Here's one - English for Barrass. Yay or nay?

anfo27
13-08-2022, 11:54 AM
Would you do it?

No way!

English had a great start to the year & hasn't quite been the same since the concussion. I feel he proved to me that he can be a first ruck & i like the Lobb interest. Thats when we looked our best last year with that forward/ruck being a genuine ruck option.

Waited so long to see English be the player we hoped he would be & we can't trade him now.

bornadog
13-08-2022, 11:57 AM
Would you do it?

Big no. We are short on ruck options, and English is starting to show why he is so valuable.

What about Barrass for Dunkley?

anfo27
13-08-2022, 12:20 PM
Big no. We are short on ruck options, and English is starting to show why he is so valuable.

Is committing to Jones mean that going after another KPD is not needed?

GVGjr
13-08-2022, 12:31 PM
Is committing to Jones mean that going after another KPD is not needed?

I don't think so, it helps but I would consider getting another KPD in.

anfo27
13-08-2022, 12:33 PM
I don't think so, it helps but I would consider getting another KPD in.

Is that with the thinking that we keep what we have now & add Jones & another or letting a Cordy go or someone else go & then add Jones & another?

GVGjr
13-08-2022, 12:41 PM
Is that with the thinking that we keep what we have now & add Jones & another or letting a Cordy go or someone else go & then add Jones & another?

If we were to land someone as good as Barrass along with Jones then you would have to think Cordy becomes surplus.
It's not out of the question that we could bring in 2 key position defenders.

DOG GOD
13-08-2022, 12:42 PM
If Keath retires, we will definitely need another QUALITY KPD…and even if he doesn’t, I have no confidence in Cordy, Gardner or O’Brien.

Stevo
13-08-2022, 12:44 PM

Gardner, Jones, Keath and O'Brien would give us plenty of depth. Barrass would gives us a leap in quality but failing that Cordy isn't a bad backup for another year.

Stevo
13-08-2022, 12:47 PM

If Barrass wanted to come here and it was effectively a straight swap I would do it. Easier to find another mid. Strong draft for midfielders so we could replace Dunkley.

anfo27
13-08-2022, 12:56 PM
Gardner, Jones, Keath and O'Brien would give us plenty of depth. Barrass would gives us a leap in quality but failing that Cordy isn't a bad backup for another year.

You're forgetting Darcy in that equation

chef
13-08-2022, 01:03 PM
Darcy isn't a KPD.

Twodogs
13-08-2022, 01:04 PM
Would you do it?

No. A ruckman like Tim only comes along once in a while. In ruckman terms he's still a baby and has a lot of growth in him. If he develops as we hope he could be on the most influential/top 5 players in the comp

He can play 80%+ time in the ruck, he can go forward and is a fair shot at goal and he can take relieving marks in defence. On top of that he's a natural footballer. There's nothing manufactured about him at all. As far as I'm concerned Tim stays for as long as he wants because he will continue to improve year on year

GVGjr
13-08-2022, 01:06 PM
You're forgetting Darcy in that equation

Good pick up but after one game have we determined he is a key defender? As chef said, he's not there yet.
Lets see how he goes today, GWS has a couple of players that might test him.

GVGjr
13-08-2022, 01:08 PM
Would you do it?

It's close but I'm leaning towards keeping English. Finding a replacement for English given Bevo is particular with his rucking requirements might be a challenge.

Bulldog4life
13-08-2022, 01:19 PM
No. A ruckman like Tim only comes along once in a while. In ruckman terms he's still a baby and has a lot of growth in him. If he develops as we hope he could be on the most influential/top 5 players in the comp

He can play 80%+ time in the ruck, he can go forward and is a fair shot at goal and he can take relieving marks in defence. On top of that he's a natural footballer. There's nothing manufactured about him at all. As far as I'm concerned Tim stays for as long as he wants because he will continue to improve year on year

Great post Td. Although I would say Tim is a reliable kick for goal rather than fair.

Flamethrower
13-08-2022, 01:23 PM
Tom Barrass is a Perth boy, just signed a 5 year contract extension, and will be the next captain of the West Coast Eagles.

Why would he give all that up to join a pissant club like the Bulldogs.

chef
13-08-2022, 01:24 PM
Would you do it?

If we had Grundy and Lobb in in another trades, yay.

anfo27
13-08-2022, 01:43 PM
Good pick up but after one game have we determined he is a key defender? As chef said, he's not there yet.
Lets see how he goes today, GWS has a couple of players that might test him.

His hands suggest he is already good enough at the level. Is he defender? I don't know. Thats the first time i saw him last week & watching on tv is not the same live. Maybe he turns into the intercepter defender that we need next year.

GVGjr
13-08-2022, 01:47 PM
Tom Barrass is a Perth boy, just signed a 5 year contract extension, and will be the next captain of the West Coast Eagles.

Why would he give all that up to join a pissant club like the Bulldogs.

It doesn't make any sense to me other than chasing finals. For some reason there is some speculation or perhaps just wishful thinking.

Bulldog4life
13-08-2022, 01:58 PM
It doesn't make any sense to me other than chasing finals. For some reason there is some speculation or perhaps just wishful thinking.

Hit the nail on the head G.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-08-2022, 10:29 PM
How did we let Lewis Young go. He has played pretty well for Carlton tonight and is not on much coin. Now here we are looking for a Big body defender. Go figure Deja Ve. Another Roughead situation

1eyedog
13-08-2022, 10:39 PM
How did we let Lewis Young go. He has played pretty well for Carlton tonight and is not on much coin. Now here we are looking for a Big body defender. Go figure Deja Ve. Another Roughead situation

Been good all year.

Grantysghost
13-08-2022, 10:48 PM
Melbourne getting the rub of the green umpire wise but might not be enough.

May could get an Oscar for his work tonight.

Bullies
13-08-2022, 11:07 PM
How did we let Lewis Young go. He has played pretty well for Carlton tonight and is not on much coin. Now here we are looking for a Big body defender. Go figure Deja Ve. Another Roughead situation Would be the perfect fit for us. Unbelievable after all the work we put into him. He always showed talent as a backman. Will never understand why we never gave him the opportunity. Now we are in the mix to see if we can get another Lewis Young.

Bullies
13-08-2022, 11:11 PM

What about Barrass for Dunkley? Eagles won't release Barrass. Even in rebuilds the bookends are the first positions you build on. They have Oscar Allen returning next year who will play full forward with a few others returning so won't be down the bottom for to long.

westbulldog
13-08-2022, 11:28 PM
"Someone" at WB thought Young was a ruckman just as they thought Dunkley was a ruckman. That same "someone"
thinks McComb, McNeill and Cordy are best 22 and Bruce (this week "managed") will be an automatic walk up after three grossly underwhelming games.

azabob
13-08-2022, 11:34 PM
How on earth has the Lewis Young debate ended up in this thread? At least propose a trade to get him back to the club.

Whilst I’m here, what about Sean Darcy for Tim English. Yay or nay?

Bullies
13-08-2022, 11:38 PM
How on earth has the Lewis Young debate ended up in this thread? At least propose a trade to get him back to the club.

Whilst I’m here, what about Sean Darcy for Tim English. Yay or nay? i think he got mentioned as he is the type of player we need.

Grantysghost
13-08-2022, 11:43 PM
i think he got mentioned as he is the type of player we need.
A striker ?

MrMahatma
13-08-2022, 11:52 PM
"Someone" at WB thought Young was a ruckman just as they thought Dunkley was a ruckman. That same "someone"
thinks McComb, McNeill and Cordy are best 22 and Bruce (this week "managed") will be an automatic walk up after three grossly underwhelming games.

Just wish we could get a premiership coach who could take us to another GF.

hujsh
14-08-2022, 12:12 AM
A striker ?

Best header in the game

bornadog
14-08-2022, 12:53 AM
wrong thread

Twodogs
14-08-2022, 05:50 PM

We offered him a contract, he said no. I don't know what else we are supposed to do.

GVGjr
14-08-2022, 05:57 PM
We offered him a contract, he said no. I don't know what else we are supposed to do.

If you take a step back from that position the answer might have been as simple as "we see you as the CHB for this club in 2022 and we will give you an extended run at it to prove your worth". "Your days of filling in with the rucks and forward spots are behind you".

The retention of players doesn't stop with a contract offer. That's the easy part and you need to sell the vision of support and development.

bornadog
14-08-2022, 06:22 PM
If you take a step back from that position the answer might have been as simple as "we see you as the CHB for this club in 2022 and we will give you an extended run at it to prove your worth". "Your days of filling in with the rucks and forward spots are behind you".

The retention of players doesn't stop with a contract offer. That's the easy part and you need to sell the vision of support and development.

We don't know what was said, but he was offered a contract - means Lewis didn't want to be at the Dogs.

chef
14-08-2022, 06:27 PM
We don't know what was said, but he was offered a contract - means Lewis didn't want to be at the Dogs.

I guess we cant blame him after how he was used. He needed a fresh start and seems to be loving it, he made the right choice.

bornadog
14-08-2022, 06:30 PM
I guess we cant blame him after how he was used. He needed a fresh start and seems to be loving it, he made the right choice.

Young and English were asked to sacrifice their games for the good of the team. English forward, Young to ruck - a temporary measure to help the team. I guess Young couldn't hack it.

chef
14-08-2022, 07:17 PM
Young and English were asked to sacrifice their games for the good of the team. English forward, Young to ruck - a temporary measure to help the team. I guess Young couldn't hack it.

Or he just got sold a better future at a club that'd use him in a position he wants to play. It was a no brainer for him.

Let's not beat around the bush, he was never hard enough for Bevo and his future was always elsewhere. Schache will be the same.

Danjul
14-08-2022, 07:19 PM
In 2018 Young got 2 games
in 2019 he got 5.
In 2020 he got 1.

In three seasons he missed selection in over 50 games- for a team that was often dysfunctional.

In 2021 he was overlooked for most of the season. Then got a few games in the ‘ruck crazies’ era.

Any player who can hack that treatment is an imbecile.

Danjul
14-08-2022, 07:24 PM
Or he just got sold a better future at a club that'd use him in a position he wants to play. It was a no brainer for him.

Let's not beat around the bush, he was never hard enough for Bevo and his future was always elsewhere. Schache will be the same.

Will Collingwood’s inability to get goals today improve Schache’s chances of getting selected there? They could get him for nothing.

josie
14-08-2022, 08:11 PM
Will Collingwood’s inability to get goals today improve Schache’s chances of getting selected there? They could get him for nothing.

If that happens I’ll be quietly cheering for him, as I have with Young and Lippy (except when they play us). I’d really thought Schache was showing some good signs towards end of last season and this season incl VFL. Bevo clearly disagrees and yes it is likely to do with timidity. I look at players like Aish who’ve forged a pretty good career without being courageous and feel we could have been more supportive of all 3 and possibly reaped the benefits whilst still in RWB. It is what it is though and I know the MC know way more than we do, including synergy with other players, non-negotiables etc. Hopefully with Darcy, English, Naughts and Marra (and whatever other KPP we bring in) we will not regret losing reasonable backup talls. No-one can convince me (on current or past form) Cordy or Gardner could have done better then Young last night. I thought he did well in a pressure cooker environment against Brown who is a reasonable forward and good mark.

Dancin' Douggy
14-08-2022, 08:16 PM
I almost wouldn't trade him for anyone. Anyone at all.

No way!

English had a great start to the year & hasn't quite been the same since the concussion. I feel he proved to me that he can be a first ruck & i like the Lobb interest. Thats when we looked our best last year with that forward/ruck being a genuine ruck option.

Waited so long to see English be the player we hoped he would be & we can't trade him now.

Bullies
15-08-2022, 03:54 AM
In 2018 Young got 2 games
in 2019 he got 5.
In 2020 he got 1.

In three seasons he missed selection in over 50 games- for a team that was often dysfunctional.

In 2021 he was overlooked for most of the season. Then got a few games in the ‘ruck crazies’ era.

Any player who can hack that treatment is an imbecile. The other point with what you say there is that in 2019 they made a concerted effort with Young to play him in the 2's and teach him the trade down back. He was told to forget about being the intercept defender but learn the trade on how to play on key forwards. Then in 2020/21 for whatever reason he wasn't given a key defender role. Our loss because he looks such a better player who can now play man on man as well as intercept.

Mofra
15-08-2022, 09:32 AM
By all accounts he didn't exactly keep himself in the best shape during the Covid years. You can't promote a guy if they don't deserve it.
Sometimes a change of clubs is needed for a player to really knuckle down.

bornadog
15-08-2022, 09:36 AM
By all accounts he didn't exactly keep himself in the best shape during the Covid years. You can't promote a guy if they don't deserve it.
Sometimes a change of clubs is needed for a player to really knuckle down.

2020 in the Hub he was out of condition and therefore didn't get games.

1eyedog
15-08-2022, 11:18 AM

I've discussed this elesewhere. I was told by an ex-player close to Young that Young was told he had a contract in his exit meeting and that it would be sorted following the trade period but he wanted out for more opportunities.

1eyedog
15-08-2022, 07:40 PM
My kid and I just re-watched the 2018 Grand Final if we're not all over Willie Rioli I'll spew up.

jazzadogs
15-08-2022, 08:08 PM
My kid and I just re-watched the 2018 Grand Final if we're not all over Willie Rioli I'll spew up.

Love Willie Rioli. Not sure why he would leave WCE/why they would give him up, but he is definitely better than any/all of our current small forwards, and James Rowe who we are reportedly looking at.

bornadog
15-08-2022, 11:54 PM
Love Willie Rioli. Not sure why he would leave WCE/why they would give him up, but he is definitely better than any/all of our current small forwards, and James Rowe who we are reportedly looking at.

Willie gives 100% effort - get him in

kruder
15-08-2022, 11:56 PM
Rioli for Vandermeer? Yes please!

Bullies
16-08-2022, 04:18 AM
2020 in the Hub he was out of condition and therefore didn't get games. So was Bruce but he got games

bornadog
16-08-2022, 09:42 AM
So was Bruce but he got games

Not like Young

Mantis
16-08-2022, 11:00 AM
Not like Young

Don't kid yourself on how ineffective Bruce was in 2020.

He played 17 games and had 5 or more kicks in only 3 of those games... and went goalless in more than 50% of games played.

He was a complete bust and I think he only played as many games as he did as he was a ''big name'' recruit.

bornadog
16-08-2022, 11:04 AM

He played 17 games and had 5 or more kicks in only 3 of those games... and went goalless in more than 50% of games played.

He was a complete bust and I think he only played as many games as he did as he was a ''big name'' recruit.

No doubt, however, Young was completely unfit and didn't even perform well in the scratch matches, so had no hope in the seniors.

Grantysghost
16-08-2022, 11:58 AM

The lesson is, don't recruit from the Saints. Their culture doesn't seem to be as professional as ours.

Axe Man
16-08-2022, 12:08 PM
The lesson is, don't recruit from the Saints. Their culture doesn't seem to be as professional as ours.

Feels like we have sent a lot more players the Saints way than vice versa over the years.

Happy Days
16-08-2022, 12:12 PM
Young played in round 1 of 2020 (was horrendous but he wasn’t alone). I wonder what sort of condition he turned up in after the second break to not be featured at all afterwards. Must’ve been pretty bad given the noticeable extra weight some others were carrying.

Danjul
16-08-2022, 01:33 PM
Young played in round 1 of 2020 (was horrendous but he wasn’t alone). I wonder what sort of condition he turned up in after the second break to not be featured at all afterwards. Must’ve been pretty bad given the noticeable extra weight some others were carrying.

Young played in the forward pocket and the ball rarely entered the forward line. Bruce was CHF and Naughton FF. The dogs kicked 1 goal in the second half, making a total of 5 for the game.

Grundy played close to a career best performance, destroying English. As the AFL website reports:

Brodie Grundy started 2020 as he ended 2019 with an outstanding performance to set up Collingwood's win tonight. 37 hitouts, including 12 to-advantage, a game-high nine score involvements from 19 disposals is a great way to start the new season.

Young was irrelevant. But dropped for the season? (Naughton had 2 disposals)

Happy Days
16-08-2022, 01:40 PM
Young played in the forward pocket and the ball rarely entered the forward line. Bruce was CHF and Naughton FF. The dogs kicked 1 goal in the second half, making a total of 5 for the game.

Grundy played close to a career best performance, destroying English. As the AFL website reports:

Brodie Grundy started 2020 as he ended 2019 with an outstanding performance to set up Collingwood's win tonight. 37 hitouts, including 12 to-advantage, a game-high nine score involvements from 19 disposals is a great way to start the new season.

Yeah at the time I definitely thought it was curious. That game was actually about as low as the football world has ever seemed to me, what with the impending doom of what was to follow.

Maybe Young didn’t even go to the hub. Not like the club made any effort to keep us updated save for 3 hours once a weekend at that time.

Grantysghost
16-08-2022, 02:08 PM
Feels like we have sent a lot more players the Saints way than vice versa over the years.

What about Bruce Duperouzel!

bornadog
16-08-2022, 02:18 PM
What about Bruce Duperouzel!

Is he the only one we ever got from the Saints?

azabob
16-08-2022, 02:20 PM

Nicky Winnmar

GVGjr
16-08-2022, 02:21 PM
Josh Bruce

Grantysghost
16-08-2022, 02:22 PM

Winmar.

bornadog
16-08-2022, 02:24 PM
Nicky Winnmar

Josh Bruce

How can I forget :o

Grantysghost
16-08-2022, 02:26 PM
Barry Hall (kind of)

azabob
16-08-2022, 02:31 PM
Gee a few have gone the other way; Beveridge, Powell, Penny, Ray, Stevens and I'm sure there is more.

soupman
16-08-2022, 02:52 PM
Gee a few have gone the other way; Beveridge, Powell, Penny, Ray, Stevens and I'm sure there is more.

Tom Campbell is there now. Shane Birss is another.

Mantis
16-08-2022, 02:56 PM

Dean Chiron... played 1 (amazing) game for us and was then shipped off to Melbourne.

bornadog
16-08-2022, 02:59 PM
Dean Chiron... played 1 (amazing) game for us and was then shipped off to Melbourne.

Can't even remember him

jeemak
16-08-2022, 05:37 PM

You're aware that after round one the players had to train away from the club and the view from our official arbiter of acceptable playing weights and heights was Young came back well and truly out of condition/ unfit to play, right?

The way you've typed it makes it seem as if round one happened, and then round two and the rest of the season happened immediately afterwards when the reality is there was a two and a half month break between rounds one and two!

Grantysghost
16-08-2022, 05:48 PM
You're aware that after round one the players had to train away from the club and the view from our official arbiter of acceptable playing weights and heights was Young came back well and truly out of condition/ unfit to play, right?

The way you've typed it makes it seem as if round one happened, and then round two and the rest of the season happened immediately afterwards when the reality is there was a two and a half month break between rounds one and two!

And many many many pies.

azabob
16-08-2022, 05:50 PM

BAD finds a way, he always, finds a way... except in maybe this instance.

bornadog
16-08-2022, 05:51 PM
BAD finds a way, he always, finds a way... except in maybe this instance.

actually had Inside info on that one ;)

azabob
16-08-2022, 05:53 PM
actually had Inside info on that one ;)

And you still let it happen!!

jeemak
16-08-2022, 05:56 PM
And you still let it happen!!

He's not one to interfere, just comment.

bornadog
16-08-2022, 06:02 PM
He's not one to interfere, just comment.

exactly

kruder
16-08-2022, 11:34 PM
What would people give up for Barrass? Say we have to give up 2 first rounders for him would woofers be prepaid to do it?

Considering we have used a lot of pics in the last 2 drafts on Darcy and Marra, would this set us back longterm?

How would Barrass go in our defensive system right now? Is it as simple as adding a player? MJP raises good points that's for sure.

bornadog
17-08-2022, 09:59 AM
What would people give up for Barrass? Say we have to give up 2 first rounders for him would woofers be prepaid to do it?

Considering we have used a lot of pics in the last 2 drafts on Darcy and Marra, would this set us back longterm?

How would Barrass go in our defensive system right now? Is it as simple as adding a player? MJP raises good points that's for sure.

You know he is contracted till end of 2026

azabob
17-08-2022, 10:00 AM
You know he is contracted till end of 2026

Not sure why you are being so dismissive?

Contracts don't stop trades occuring.

kruder asks and raises some valid points.

MrMahatma
17-08-2022, 10:07 AM

I’d happily pass on what we get for Dunks. Would love to keep 1 first rounder, but ours might be pick 18 after we catch fire in the next 6 weeks so… maybe.

mjp
17-08-2022, 10:13 AM

No-one loves Tom more than me. He took the intercept mark in 2013 and kicked it to Cam McCarthy who kicked a goal after the siren to ... anyway, I digress.

I just think we MUST DRAFT this year. If we don't, we are going to end up as the team with a whole heap of players 27+ and another whole bunch of players under 22 and NOTHING in the middle.

On an unrelated note, players start becoming consistently useful around 22/23 and peak at 26/27.

GVGjr
17-08-2022, 10:13 AM

From my perspective 2 first rounders is a big ask for a defender. I know it's an area we have struggled with but I'm leaning towards no.
Perhaps if a deal could be struck for 1st and 2nd rounder might change my mind.

I think he is at long odds to be heading out of the Eagles.

Danjul
17-08-2022, 11:10 AM

Young got 3 games between round 1 in 2020 and round 16 in 2021. In one of those he had 40% game time (injury, sub, don’t remember). That’s more than one and a half years. Took a long time to get fit.

He has had more games in the last 5 months than in 5 years with the dogs. Our loss.

Grantysghost
17-08-2022, 12:26 PM
Young got 3 games between round 1 in 2020 and round 16 in 2021. In one of those he had 40% game time (injury, sub, don’t remember). That’s more than one and a half years. Took a long time to get fit.

He has had more games in the last 5 months than in 5 years with the dogs. Our loss.

It is possible he realised this is his last chance and knuckled down and worked harder at his new club.

Bevo is the most player focussed coach, he goes into bat for them when many wouldn't so I'm sure he gave Lewis every chance when he was with us.

Glad he's doing well at the Blues.

mjp
17-08-2022, 12:46 PM
I usually care little about threads going off topic but since I think we can all agree we wont be trading for Young can we move onto a different topic?

Sorry but I am genuinely fatigued by the "Young was mistreated" story line. Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't. In any case, he's moved on and seems to be happy at Carlton. Can we let bygones be bygones and focus on what might be next instead?

bornadog
17-08-2022, 12:52 PM
I usually care little about threads going off topic but since I think we can all agree we wont be trading for Young can we move onto a different topic?

Sorry but I am genuinely fatigued by the "Young was mistreated" story line. Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't. In any case, he's moved on and seems to be happy at Carlton. Can we let bygones be bygones and focus on what might be next instead?

Here Here.

Every week we seem to discuss how he went in the game that week and why we should have given him more games.

azabob
17-08-2022, 01:20 PM
I asked about this trade earlier on page 2, when funnily enough cracking shits about Lewis Young being mentioned again.

What about Tim English for Sean Darcy?

English game is built around "being the extra midfielder" and not as a ruck. This means OUR game is also built around it.

If English is poor around the ground (which frankly has been a 50/50 proposition in the second half of 2022) we are disadvantaged in two positions (ruck and the extra midfield number).

Bring in a skilled ruckman, give our midfielders something to work with in the center square and around the ground.

I think Darcy would also add the defensive hardness needed at stoppages.

>>>> Ducks for cover<<<<

Happy Days
17-08-2022, 01:41 PM
I asked about this trade earlier on page 2, when funnily enough cracking shits about Lewis Young being mentioned again.

English game is built around "being the extra midfielder" and not as a ruck. This means OUR game is also built around it.

If English is poor around the ground (which frankly has been a 50/50 proposition in the second half of 2022) we are disadvantaged in two positions (ruck and the extra midfield number).

Bring in a skilled ruckman, give our midfielders something to work with in the center square and around the ground.

>>>> Ducks for cover<<<<

Darcy has been not good this year though? He's regressed pretty badly, doesn't really offer much between stoppages, and BAD will not miss his waistline. English bodied him in that game against Freo a couple of weeks ago that otherwise didn't happen.

I think he's for the most part a pretty good player and would've been on board at the start of the year (especially after the GF), but now I think English is way past Darcy and I'd want extras.

GVGjr
17-08-2022, 01:42 PM
Aza, We are chips in committed to English. I couldn't see that changing but given this is a hypothetical the genuine ruckman option does have some appeal.

Wouldn't a combination of English and Jackson be hard to combat?

azabob
17-08-2022, 02:37 PM
Darcy has been not good this year though? He's regressed pretty badly, doesn't really offer much between stoppages, and BAD will not miss his waistline. English bodied him in that game against Freo a couple of weeks ago that otherwise didn't happen.

I think he's for the most part a pretty good player and would've been on board at the start of the year (especially after the GF), but now I think English is way past Darcy and I'd want extras.

I'm not sure he has regressed badly. I've only seen half a dozen dockers games and I've like what I've seen.

Statwise he seems to have averaged very similar to last year.

Extras can be Lobb and Bailey Banfield.

azabob
17-08-2022, 02:39 PM
Aza, We are chips in committed to English. I couldn't see that changing but given this is a hypothetical the genuine ruckman option does have some appeal.

100% agree we are all in on English - literally boom or bust.

Through good management or design I'm ok with English signing a two year deal; it certainly gives both parties the flexibility at the end of his contract.

Just on Jackson, is he mainly hype and potential at the moment? Or he is a rolled golded #1 ruck?

GVGjr
17-08-2022, 03:07 PM
100% agree we are all in on English - literally boom or bust.

Through good management or design I'm ok with English signing a two year deal; it certainly gives both parties the flexibility at the end of his contract.

Just on Jackson, is he mainly hype and potential at the moment? Or he is a rolled golded #1 ruck?

Jackson is an exciting prospect but I'm not convinced he could be the number 1 ruckman just yet. He's an excellent number 2 at the moment but he's not worth the money that has been speculated he will receive but in a couple of years he should.

bornadog
17-08-2022, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure he has regressed badly. I've only seen half a dozen dockers games and I've like what I've seen.

Statwise he seems to have averaged very similar to last year.

Extras can be Lobb and Bailey Banfield.

Darcy is ranked 3rd in overall hitouts, but his average disposals per game have dropped from last year.

I really prefer English, especially his work around the ground.

Twodogs
17-08-2022, 07:42 PM

English is the sort of ruckman who relishes being the only ruckman in the team. That's why if we get Lobbe he will have to be prepared to play 90%+ time forward.

Twodogs
17-08-2022, 07:51 PM

>>>> Ducks for cover<<<<

Yeah/nah. There's hardly a player in the comp I'd swap Tim for. That's how valuable he is IMO.

Twodogs
17-08-2022, 08:06 PM

Russell Tweedale, Con Gorozides, Max Crow, Jon Bennett, Bill Cubbins, Mark Kellett, Phil Cronan

bornadog
17-08-2022, 08:21 PM
Russell Tweedale, Con Gorozides, Max Crow, Jon Bennett, Bill Cubbins, Mark Kellett, Phil Cronan

I knew you would remember

Twodogs
17-08-2022, 08:38 PM
I knew you would remember
I remember most of them for different reasons.

Russell Tweedale -took a piss off the top step of the Whitten stand into the carpark because Royce Hart wouldn't let him take a break from running up and down the stairs for disciplinary reasons.

Con Gorozides-taking speccies and kicking goals for fun when he felt like it. One of the biggest wastes of talent I can remember.

Max Crow-losing a testicle after being crunched in a pack.

Jon Bennett-nearly beating Essendon off his own boot on the wettest day I've seen at Whitten oval (and that's saying something)

Bill Cubbins -coached us to our first ever season that we won more games than we lost back on the 1930s
Also kicked 20+ goals in a reserves game for st Kilda after cracking the shits for being dropped.

Max Crow-first player I ever saw to use the 'dont argue' in a game

Phil Cronan-first player I saw to wear a helmet

EasternWest
17-08-2022, 08:47 PM
I remember most of them for different reasons

Bill Cubbins -coached us to our first ever season that we won more games than we lost back on the 1930s

Geez I knew you were old I didn't know you were Nosferatu old.

Twodogs
17-08-2022, 08:50 PM
Geez I knew you were old I didn't know you were Nosferatu old.

There are these things called books and they have stuff called information in them.

Having said that I saw the Tweedale piss and that must have been nearly 45 years ago.

boydogs
18-08-2022, 12:21 AM
English is the sort of ruckman who relishes being the only ruckman in the team. That's why if we get Lobbe he will have to be prepared to play 90%+ time forward.

It seems to me English plays with much more vigour when he has proper ruck support i.e. the Sweet effect

Mofra
18-08-2022, 08:44 AM
If the choice was Barrass for 2 x first rounders or Jack Payne for a second and our early third, who do you choose?
TBH I'd take Payne and bank the picks. Payne's second half last week was excellent and he's still got upside given his lack of continuity this year.

Happy Days
18-08-2022, 09:36 AM
I don’t wanna trade two firsts. That’s a lot!

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 09:55 AM
If the choice was Barrass for 2 x first rounders or Jack Payne for a second and our early third, who do you choose?
TBH I'd take Payne and bank the picks. Payne's second half last week was excellent and he's still got upside given his lack of continuity this year.

I haven't looked at Payne closely enough this year but did have a closer look at him the other day based on you recommendation.
I'd certainly be interested in getting him but Brisbane shouldn't let him go.

I'm just a little concerned at paying overs for someone like Barrass when he is more of a game saver than a game winner.
If we could get him for a 1st and 3rd rounder, which is very unlikely, then he would be a great addition. West Coast signed him to a long term deal for very good reasons so an opposition club would need to pay overs though to get him.

Mofra
18-08-2022, 10:42 AM
I haven't looked at Payne closely enough this year but did have a closer look at him the other day based on you recommendation.
I'd certainly be interested in getting him but Brisbane shouldn't let him go.

I'm just a little concerned at paying overs for someone like Barrass when he is more of a game saver than a game winner.
If we could get him for a 1st and 3rd rounder, which is very unlikely, then he would be a great addition. West Coast signed him to a long term deal for very good reasons so an opposition club would need to pay overs though to get him.
Yeah I just think West Coast, having him under LT contract and knowing how tight the market is for KPDs, will ask for a massive trade deal as we did for Dunks. As they are well within their rights to do.
He may even be their next captain.

Happy Days
18-08-2022, 10:53 AM
I think Barrass is probably their only real asset in terms of trade value, age and contract dollars remaining. They’re in a really bad spot and they’d surely to look at clearing off some other guys before him.

azabob
18-08-2022, 11:29 AM
I think Barrass is probably their only real asset in terms of trade value, age and contract dollars remaining. They’re in a really bad spot and they’d surely to look at clearing off some other guys before him.

Just for laughs and not football ability we really should get Bailey Williams from them.

mjp
18-08-2022, 12:40 PM

West Coast will be fine.

It sounds stupid but players like Sheed and Yeo are only 27/28...they'll actually play footy next year and they will improve. I think they understand enough to realise that a player like Barrass is a pillar to build around vs an asset to sell off...

EasternWest
18-08-2022, 02:37 PM
West Coast will be fine.

It sounds stupid but players like Sheed and Yeo are only 27/28...they'll actually play footy next year and they will improve. I think they understand enough to realise that a player like Barrass is a pillar to build around vs an asset to sell off...

Let's move on from Barrass talk.

I'll let Happy Days lay hands on me at the Yarraville nets if the Eagles trade Barrass to any team.

It'd be equivalent to us trading Naughton. It's just not going to happen.

jeemak
18-08-2022, 02:49 PM
Let's move on from Barrass talk.

I'll let Happy Days lay hands on me at the Yarraville nets if the Eagles trade Barrass to any team.

It'd be equivalent to us trading Naughton. It's just not going to happen.

The day we find out Happy Days is one of those skinny white kids who can actually fight.

EasternWest
18-08-2022, 02:53 PM
The day we find out Happy Days is one of those skinny white kids who can actually fight.

Are you saying he's Jake Melksham? Because as surprising as that might be it also wouldn't be.

jeemak
18-08-2022, 02:57 PM
Are you saying he's Jake Melksham? Because as surprising as that might be it also wouldn't be.

It really jumps off the page as soon as you see it.

Happy Days
18-08-2022, 03:05 PM

I’ve actually never lost a fight so this could well be true.

Grantysghost
18-08-2022, 03:10 PM

Same. That I remember.

EasternWest
18-08-2022, 03:14 PM

Can't lose if you run away.

That's my philosophy anyway.

Grantysghost
18-08-2022, 03:56 PM

Nailed it.

Flight or flight.

Mitcha
18-08-2022, 04:27 PM

I've also never lost a fight, won each of them by at least 5-10 metres

EasternWest
18-08-2022, 07:49 PM

Are you a slow runner, Mitcha?

Twodogs
18-08-2022, 07:57 PM

I've heard it's the best result.

Twodogs
18-08-2022, 08:04 PM
It seems to me English plays with much more vigour when he has proper ruck support i.e. the Sweet effect

I'll have a look on AFLtables but I reckon most ruckman are like pack animals in that the more work you expect from them the better they tend to perform. Not all of them maybe but a lot of them.