PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - 2023 Finals Edition

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
21-08-2022, 05:06 PM
Lets be bold and brave and back that we will be playing in the first week of the finals

Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 23 match against Hawthorn in preparation for week one of the finals?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

Happy Days
21-08-2022, 05:08 PM
Drop Bruce for Schache call it Addition by subtraction

Grantysghost
21-08-2022, 05:10 PM
And Bailey Williams he was poor I thought defensively. Got caught wrong side of his opponent a lot.

First draft

In : Schache, McLean
Out : Bruce, Williams.

azabob
21-08-2022, 05:14 PM
IN: Garcia, Scott,

OUT: Bruce, VDM,

Depending who we play I’d consider KEATH for WILLIAMS

G-Mo77
21-08-2022, 05:14 PM
Drop Bruce for Schache call it Addition by subtraction

Bruce is just shot right now. All he did was act as a decoy and chop out a few ruck contests. Schache can do that and possibly be a bit more dangerous in front of goal.

Still need Pies to win, Carlton starting to look good.

Mofra
21-08-2022, 05:31 PM
I'm not sold on Schache but he normally does have one good game in him when he comes in.
I doubt the MC makes the call to drop Bruce though

G-Mo77
21-08-2022, 05:33 PM
I'm not sold on Schache but he normally does have one good game in him when he comes in.
I doubt the MC makes the call to drop Bruce though

Completely agree. I don't think they'll make any changes at all unless it's forced.

josie
21-08-2022, 05:38 PM
Scott for Williams

O’Brien or Khamis for Cordy (won’t happen though)

Schache for Bruce (won’t happen though)

West as sub not McComb or West for Vanders if injured and Cleary or Garcia as sub

G-Mo77
21-08-2022, 05:45 PM
Sorry Josie. In no way shape or form do I want to see O'Brien in a team playing finals. I'm not comfortable having him play in a regular season game.

Rocco Jones
21-08-2022, 05:46 PM
I want Darcy up forward. I actually see him as a defender long term but think his all or nothing approach down back atm hurts us a bit.

Idk if it's wise to throw Darcy into the ruck atm and he'd probably have to take over the R2/fwd role from Bruce but I'd go for it.

- Keath for Zaine
- Maybe smaller down back? Darcy goes forward and no Bruce?
- What Rhylee back in, VDM injured again? Scott or Tobias a chance as well.

chef
21-08-2022, 06:01 PM
Can we delete this thread before it's too late.

GVGjr
21-08-2022, 06:03 PM
Can we delete this thread before it's too late.

We will lock it down if the cards don't fall the way we would like.

josie
21-08-2022, 06:10 PM
I think we should delete this thread now. Sigh.

Mutz
21-08-2022, 07:11 PM
Blues 74 - Pies 75. Gotta leave this post up now.
I want to see Keath in for Cordy.
Also like to see West back in but not sure who, definitely McComb.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-08-2022, 07:15 PM
Out - Carltank
In - Western Bulldogs

Scraggers
21-08-2022, 07:17 PM
GVG … I love your positivity, you beat me to it. Love it !!!

josie
21-08-2022, 07:17 PM
Sorry Josie. In no way shape or form do I want to see O'Brien in a team playing finals. I'm not comfortable having him play in a regular season game.

Do you think Cordy’s better? Cordy’s knee is a force to be reckoned with though…..Forgot about Keath. He might be back in.

josie
21-08-2022, 07:18 PM
I think we should delete this thread now. Sigh.

My post aged rather well, like a well corked grange.

Testekill
21-08-2022, 07:22 PM
I do think that Cordy has been actually pretty alright since he came back in, people seem to have a tendency to have their eyes glaze over when he or Gardner have good efforts.

Out:

Bruce (he's just not offering much even as a decoy)
Vandermeer

In:

Schache: (you gotta reward 14 goals in 2 games and he honestly meshes better with Naughton)
West

G-Mo77
21-08-2022, 07:22 PM
Do you think Cordy’s better? Cordy’s knee is a force to be reckoned with though…..Forgot about Keath. He might be back in.

I think Cordy is better than O'Brien, yes.

josie
21-08-2022, 07:26 PM
Hey woofers- check out video on dog website of our players responding to Pies win. It’s a beauty!!

josie
21-08-2022, 07:27 PM
I think Cordy is better than O'Brien, yes.

Respect your decision in a finals we need tough nuts. What about Cordy vs 2022 Keath?

bornadog
21-08-2022, 07:28 PM
I do think that Cordy has been actually pretty alright since he came back in, people seem to have a tendency to have their eyes glaze over when he or Gardner have good efforts.

Out:

Bruce (he's just not offering much even as a decoy)
Vandermeer

In:

Schache: (you gotta reward 14 goals in 2 games and he honestly meshes better with Naughton)
West

I would go same

GVGjr
21-08-2022, 07:30 PM
Does anyone sort of envy the players boarding the plane knowing they have a week off and a chance to stick it up the competition again?

bornadog
21-08-2022, 07:31 PM
Does anyone sort of envy the players boarding the plane knowing they have a week off and a chance to stick it up the competition again?

I wonder if they watched the game

Happy Days
21-08-2022, 07:38 PM

Check out our Twitter BAD.

josie

Check out video on dog’s website - the team watched it all together for sure.

mjp
Should we at least work out who we are playing before we start selecting a side??

hujsh
21-08-2022, 07:39 PM
Hey woofers- check out video on dog website of our players responding to Pies win. It’s a beauty!!

Have a link? Don't see it in the video section

G-Mo77
21-08-2022, 07:39 PM
Respect your decision in a finals we need tough nuts. What about Cordy vs 2022 Keath?

I'd back in Cordy again. Keath is a shell of what he was this season.

josie
21-08-2022, 07:44 PM
Should we at least work out who we are playing before we start selecting a side??

Isn’t it Freo in Perth?

mjp
21-08-2022, 07:45 PM
Isn’t it Freo in Perth?

As long as Sydney win.

hujsh
21-08-2022, 07:45 PM
Isn’t it Freo in Perth?

Unless Sydney lose (not likely). Then it's Sydney over there

josie
21-08-2022, 07:46 PM
As long as Sydney win.

Yeah-just checked ladder. Who would we prefer to play-Swans SCG or Freo Perth?

mjp
21-08-2022, 07:49 PM
Yeah-just checked ladder. Who would we prefer to play-Swans SCG or Freo Perth?

Freo 'cos I can catch the train to watch that one.
:-)

hujsh
21-08-2022, 08:32 PM
Freo 'cos I can catch the train to watch that one.
:-)

I hope you have more fun than I did a few weeks ago. I'm sure we still owe you a few more finals wins to make up for all the losses

mjp
21-08-2022, 08:39 PM
I hope you have more fun than I did a few weeks ago. I'm sure we still owe you a few more finals wins to make up for all the losses

I still haven't recovered from the Grand Final. I'm actually not sure I ever will.

1eyedog
21-08-2022, 09:42 PM
Blues 74 - Pies 75. Gotta leave this post up now.
I want to see Keath in for Cordy.
Also like to see West back in but not sure who, definitely McComb.

I thought Cordy was solid today.

hujsh
21-08-2022, 09:50 PM
I still haven't recovered from the Grand Final. I'm actually not sure I ever will.

Oh yeah... I kind of forgot that was in Perth. Yeowch

Grantysghost
21-08-2022, 10:22 PM
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 1

Second elimination final
Brisbane v Richmond at The Gabba, 7.20pm AEST

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2

Second qualifying final
Melbourne v Sydney at the MCG, 7.50pm AEST

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 3

First qualifying final
Geelong v Collingwood at the MCG, 4.35pm AEST

First elimination final
Fremantle v Western Bulldogs at Optus Stadium, 6.10pm AWST

Grantysghost
21-08-2022, 10:23 PM
Saturday night.

angelopetraglia
21-08-2022, 10:27 PM
The first AFL tweet said we were playing Sunday night!!!!

Saturday night is much better.

Grantysghost
21-08-2022, 10:30 PM
The first AFL tweet said we were playing Sunday night!!!!

Saturday night is much better.

Yeah I've seen an image with Sunday think they bungled it.

What a surprise.

Dogs site says Saturday, plus to be fair they wouldn't have a Perth game that late so teams aren't disadvantaged.

Mitcha
22-08-2022, 12:15 AM
Does JJ come under consideration if he can get a solid training block in leading up to the game?

GVGjr
22-08-2022, 12:18 AM
Does JJ come under consideration if he can get a solid training block in leading up to the game?

Perhaps, he could replace VDM

SonofScray
22-08-2022, 08:05 AM
No selectors panel this finals series.

I am giving Bevo a free pass to go full Bevo. Legit unhinged, bat shit crazy stuff for the next four games towards a flag.

FIVE HEADED MONSTER

Bulldog Joe
22-08-2022, 08:29 AM

I am giving Bevo a free pass to go full Bevo. Legit unhinged, bat shit crazy stuff for the next four games towards a flag.

FIVE HEADED MONSTER

I much prefer he pick the best team that can win.

To pick the best team the name J Bruce MUST NOT be in it.

2 options that are better then Josh Bruce

1 - Straight swap for Josh Schache who deserves a go and can play the exact role Bruce has been asked to play.
2 - Alex Keath to play back releasing Sam Darcy to play the forward ruck role.

I would also prefer Vandermeer not play, but he was better against Hawthorn.
Roarke Smith did well and deserves to retain his place.

ReLoad
22-08-2022, 08:40 AM

FIVE HEADED MONSTER

I’m pretty certain that’s what he’s been doing anyway…..

GVGjr
22-08-2022, 09:25 AM
Pick the best team and it's hard to see Bruce being in that given his form but knowing that he will.

It's a genuine shame that he didn't return a few weeks earlier so he could have played a couple of weeks more at Footscray and got some form under his belt. You can see that he is trying but his timing is out.

Bulldog Joe
22-08-2022, 09:30 AM
Pick the best team and it's hard to see Bruce being in that given his form but knowing that he will.

It's a genuine shame that he didn't return a few weeks earlier so he could have played a couple of weeks more at Footscray and got some form under his belt. You can see that he is trying but his timing is out.

Playing Bruce on exposed form is insanity.

Insanity - Keep doing the same thing with an expectation (hope) of a different result.

If they play Bruce, they should request a bus on the field to carry the passengers.

Mantis
22-08-2022, 10:34 AM
I don't want Cordy or Bruce in the team to play Fremantle in 12 days time.

Neither are capable from a physical standpoint to play a capable role in the team.

bornadog
22-08-2022, 10:44 AM
I don't want Cordy or Bruce in the team to play Fremantle in 12 days time.

Neither are capable from a physical standpoint to play a capable role in the team.

Who should play in the backline as the talls?

Axe Man
22-08-2022, 10:45 AM
What exactly is finals addition? The opposite of finals subtraction I guess? :D

Happy Days
22-08-2022, 10:46 AM
What exactly is finals addition? The opposite of finals subtraction I guess? :D

Was wondering when someone else was gonna say something. BAD you're slipping.

Mantis
22-08-2022, 10:52 AM

Not Cordy!!

Might depend on who Fremantle select, but either Gardner & Keath or O'Brien.

Cordy couldn't keep up with Gunston yesterday and was outpointed by Lobb a few weeks back so I can't see how he gets another crack.

bornadog
22-08-2022, 10:54 AM
Not Cordy!!

Might depend on who Fremantle select, but either Gardner & Keath or O'Brien.

Cordy couldn't keep up with Gunston yesterday and was outpointed by Lobb a few weeks back so I can't see how he gets another crack.

I tend to agree, but not sure who comes in. I guess it is only Keath, and he has had a bad year.

Axe Man
22-08-2022, 10:55 AM

I assume they will have Lobb, Logue and Taberner forward, although Taberner may be in some doubt. Fyfe will also likely be forward.

I don't really want to see Cordy on Lobb again, would prefer Gardner on him. Do we back Keath in to rediscover his form?

bornadog
22-08-2022, 10:58 AM
I assume they will have Lobb, Logue and Taberner forward, although Taberner may be in some doubt. Fyfe will also likely be forward.

I don't really want to see Cordy on Lobb again, would prefer Gardner on him. Do we back Keath in to rediscover his form?

I can't see Cordy being dropped, although, I don't think he is good enough. He should not be on Lobb. If Taberner is out, that would help us.

soupman
22-08-2022, 11:10 AM
In a weak field i think Cordy has been alright as a key defender. Thought he was burned as much from our ability to let Hawtjorn hurt us on the turnover than his own faults yesterday.

Bruce has to be dropped. He is worse than he was in 2020, and 2020 Bruce is the player I've least enjoyed watching play for us ever. I know we keep saying with talls like him you are just waiting for the game where it clicks again, but that's way too big a gamble when the likelihood of him not clicking is probable and the alternative is a complete liability. I don't really trust Schache either, but think his floor (which is already pretty low) is higher than Bruce's and at least he is in awesome form.

azabob
22-08-2022, 11:39 AM

Keath played against Fremantle recently instead of Gardner and was promptly dropped the next match.

With Gardner fit, does that change things up?

I'd be ok with Cordy on Logue.

westbulldog
22-08-2022, 11:46 AM
Out Bruce (surely he cannot be retained), Cordy, Vandermeer, McComb
In Schache (deserves his place, but...last chance), Keath, McLean. Scott

hujsh
22-08-2022, 11:48 AM
Out Bruce (surely he cannot be retained), Cordy, Vandermeer, McComb
In Schache (deserves his place, but...last chance), Keath, McLean. Scott

Is Scott the sub in this scenario?

westbulldog
22-08-2022, 11:56 AM
Scott or McLean, anyone but McComb

bornadog
22-08-2022, 11:58 AM
Scott or McLean, anyone but McComb

Do you think it is a risk to bring in Mclean, since he has been out for 12 months?

westbulldog
22-08-2022, 12:09 PM
I would reward good form, McLean is an experienced premiership player and he had 34 possessions and 9 clearances on Saturday. I hope we don't continue anymore bizarre Bruce selections.

GVGjr
22-08-2022, 12:13 PM
Do you think it is a risk to bring in Mclean, since he has been out for 12 months?

What do you think of his form so far at Footscray?

Scorlibo
22-08-2022, 12:16 PM

I can’t see Tobes coming back in… like you say too long out of the top level to be airdropped into finals. If we’re serious and ready to face reality we shouldn’t be playing Bruce either.

Scott would be a welcome addition, good team player who can run all day. JJ would also be on my radar, played some great footy up forward this year before tapering. Keath I feel is a strong possibility to return but probably hinges on the Darcy and Bruce dynamic. Schache would also be considered but it can’t be both he and Keath coming into an already tall side without two talls missing, and to that end I reckon we’ll stick with Cordy who had some really strong moments with the ball and wouldn’t be the first defender to get outfoxed by Gunston

Go_Dogs
22-08-2022, 12:18 PM
Early days, but would look at something like:

Daniel, Gardner, Richards
Dale, Keath, Treloar
B Smith, Macrae, Williams
Dunkley, Darcy, Hunter
JUH, Naughts, Weightman
English, Bont, Libba
Duryea, West, R Smith, Cordy

One of Cordy or Bruce probably have to play, they can spare parts ruck.

Schache despite his form surely doesn’t come in for a final?

West has been an important player this year and I would select him for the finals. He’s tough and we need that.

The only query I have is speed / defensive ability in the front half. No JJ, VDM, Garcia, McNeil… hmmm. Would be great to have one of them in too, but not sure who misses out. Hard to drop Roarke after yesterday and think he can potentially play a role against Freo.

bornadog
22-08-2022, 12:26 PM
What do you think of his form so far at Footscray?

He has been playing well at Footscray, and probably deserves a game, but, I would have played him yesterday to get a feeling at where he is at at senior level. Going into a final, need to consider whether it is a risk?

soupman
22-08-2022, 01:00 PM
I would be surprised to see McLean play. We've had ample opportunity since his comeback, and have neglected to use it, while giving games to a number of similarly ranked players with arguably worse form in the VFL. Also I think we really rate Scott and any role I see us picking McLean for I see Scott getting first dibs on anyway. Not sure what this means for McLean's future with us.

Grantysghost
22-08-2022, 01:04 PM

I don't think so he looks really comfortable to me.

Has to be better than Williams.

Scott will probably get first crack, but I think Toby has the inside and outside ability that is really useful and is a better player.

Grantysghost
22-08-2022, 01:05 PM
I would be surprised to see McLean play. We've had ample opportunity since his comeback, and have neglected to use it, while giving games to a number of similarly ranked players with arguably worse form in the VFL. Also I think we really rate Scott and any role I see us picking McLean for I see Scott getting first dibs on anyway. Not sure what this means for McLean's future with us.

It's odd isn't it. I was thinking they are giving him heaps of time to get right as he was injured quickly last time.

His form is good enough.

The bulldog tragician
22-08-2022, 01:50 PM
Apart from the selections, I wonder what will be done to tweak our response to the game plan Freo employed against us?

Bullies
22-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Do you think it is a risk to bring in Mclean, since he has been out for 12 months? Yet it is ok for them to play Josh Bruce who is playing like he had his reco just last week.

Bullies
22-08-2022, 02:02 PM
Apart from the selections, I wonder what will be done to tweak our response to the game plan Freo employed against us? Doesn't look like they will tweak anything as the last two games both GWS and Hawks have employed the same tactics and we haven't done anything about it. Freo won't let us play the way we want to that will be a certainty.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2022, 02:28 PM
Whoever we go with, the guys filling out the 22 will come with a bit of doubt, biggest issue is they might need to play big roles. The way I see it, we do what helps out our better players/strengths and just pick the best fits in fringe selections from that.

I see Sam Darcy as an intercept defender long term but whatever happens there, he looks better suited short term as a forward. He is easily pushed aside due to his side and is intercept mark or nothing. He can be a bit of a liability down back at this stage. Darcy look dangerous up forward. I think he would need to take on relief ruck duties which is a gamble with how slight he is and not playing there at senior level but I will it's a worthwhile risk. Unless we are up for moving Naughts back, it means Bruce has to miss. His form is nowhere near it and we have 3 good tall options. Even if we went radical, how un Bevo, and played Naughts back, I'd bring in Schache.

Down back I would bring in Keath for the spot Darcy opens up. Zaine is a tough one. I think he is the 'safer' bet over say Khamis but feel the latter would offer us more flexibility. Never a fan of Zaine and Gardy together and clearly Gardner the better player.

With the other selections, Vanders even if okay to play is such a risk of breaking down during a game, it's not worth it even if his output is slightly better than the next picked (which I don't think it is anyway). I'd have Rhylee in. Scott for Truck too.

Boots
22-08-2022, 02:55 PM
I don't care who comes in or out except please not Schache. I don't think I've ever seen him get the ball without me experiencing a sudden spike in anxiety (that is usually proven correct).

We ALWAYS get this way about him. "But he's kicked 7 in the VFL!" - it never transitions across to the senior side and he always ends up getting whacked in all sorts of positions he's awful in - ruck, defence, wing. It sucks for him but he's caught in that awkward space where he's too good for VFL but not good enough for AFL. I wanted him to be a magical steal, a #2 pick who had a bad time but we somehow reinvigorates. No harm in it, but he's all sunk cost fallacy.

He has zero confidence, he's slow, he makes bad calls, and doesn't even kick that well when he takes I50 marks. Please no.

bornadog
22-08-2022, 02:56 PM
Doesn't look like they will tweak anything as the last two games both GWS and Hawks have employed the same tactics and we haven't done anything about it. Freo won't let us play the way we want to that will be a certainty.

We beat GWS and Hawks. Hawks kicked 2.3 in the second half, so something has been tweaked and worked.

hujsh
22-08-2022, 03:04 PM
I don't care who comes in or out except please not Schache. I don't think I've ever seen him get the ball without me experiencing a sudden spike in anxiety (that is usually proven correct).

We ALWAYS get this way about him. "But he's kicked 7 in the VFL!" - it never transitions across to the senior side and he always ends up getting whacked in all sorts of positions he's awful in - ruck, defence, wing. It sucks for him but he's caught in that awkward space where he's too good for VFL but not good enough for AFL. I wanted him to be a magical steal, a #2 pick who had a bad time but we somehow reinvigorates. No harm in it, but he's all sunk cost fallacy.

He has zero confidence, he's slow, he makes bad calls, and doesn't even kick that well when he takes I50 marks. Please no.

Surprised to see he only goes at 60% for his career. Would have thought it would be a bit higher

azabob
22-08-2022, 03:14 PM
We beat GWS and Hawks. Hawks kicked 2.3 in the second half, so something has been tweaked and worked.

Yeah as I said in the upcoming Game Day thread I'm quietly confident we can get the job done.

Freo dominated every area statistically last time and yet they only won by 17 points.

All the pressure and build up will be on the dockers and hopefully it will get in their heads.

Lets not underestimate the Perth press have two weeks to inflate their egos ready for Bevo, Bont and co to deflate them just as quickly.

MrMahatma
22-08-2022, 03:15 PM

Yep. Reality is we completely dominated the Hawks, which we should've. We were missing some mid/fwd connection which has been the case for a while. It's also why I'd be all for bringing in a natural forward who finds space, in Schache.

If we're to have any hope in finals, we need to take more I50 marks and that's not going to be from Naughton taking screamers all over the joint. We need more craft and better leads, as well as Naughton taking pack marks. JUH is a good lead, and so is Schache. If we don't, then we'll turn it over and get hurt the other way. We don't have the personnel to "fix" our defence, and we won't be making significant changes to our system... so we need to make better use of our I50s.

bornadog
22-08-2022, 03:41 PM
Does anyone feel Darcy gets dropped for Schache? He has only played 3 AFL games?

Go_Dogs
22-08-2022, 03:48 PM
Does anyone feel Darcy gets dropped for Schache? He has only played 3 AFL games?

No chance.

Happy Days

I don’t think Darcy will ever get dropped again for anyone.

Mantis

I would be extremely disappointed if Darcy was dropped before Bruce... Darcy is making an impact, Bruce isn't.

Grantysghost
22-08-2022, 03:54 PM
I don’t think Darcy will ever get dropped again for anyone.

First magnet on the board.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2022, 04:10 PM

.....Danjul has now entered the chat.

EasternWest
22-08-2022, 04:10 PM
First magnet on the board.

Laughs in Bontempelli.

bornadog
22-08-2022, 04:19 PM
I would be extremely disappointed if Darcy was dropped before Bruce... Darcy is making an impact, Bruce isn't.

I agree, Bruce is a bigger risk at this stage. Surely Schache comes in for Bruce

Grantysghost
22-08-2022, 04:21 PM

Now you've gone done it.

Danjul
22-08-2022, 04:34 PM
Now you've gone done it.
Are you suggesting more statistics. I had retired at the end of the home and away games.

But for you, one last time.

Boots
22-08-2022, 04:39 PM
Now you've gone done it.

Surely this sort of debate is what the next two weeks are for ;)

EasternWest
22-08-2022, 05:01 PM
Are you suggesting more statistics. I had retired at the end of the home and away games.

I love your work, give it to us.

Danjul
22-08-2022, 05:05 PM

At the end of last season Schache got 7 games. Some forward and some back. You didn’t see him get the ball 17 times against Melbourne in an almost best in team performance without worrying? I don’t believe it.

Well just for the record:

In those 7 games he averaged 12.5 disposals per game (none less than 10, even in the disaster against Essendon) and got 4 goals in the finals. For me most of that was worry free.

His contribution in his last 5 ( of 6) games this season has been double that of his replacement in every category.

Yes he has had some bad games over the years, but the number has been exaggerated to the point of being legendary at the club. anyone who wants to appear knowledgeable simply says Schache is always crap, and then disappears in the crowd of cheering onlookers. That’s all they need to hear.

When Bruce gets a total of two possessions in a game from 80% game time he doesn’t get dropped. That’s when I worry about the team’s chances next game. Fortunately the team is good enough to carry him until he makes a positive contribution. So far he is travelling well behind Schache this year, but he might come good in the west. But I’ll be worrying. Next year I don’t expect to have that problem, he will be fit and strong and kicking lots of goals again.

Grantysghost
22-08-2022, 05:09 PM

Yes please Danj !!

hujsh
22-08-2022, 05:12 PM
At the end of last season Schache got 7 games. Some forward and some back. You didn’t see him get the ball 17 times against Melbourne in an almost best in team performance without worrying? I don’t believe it.

Well just for the record:

In those 7 games he averaged 12.5 disposals per game (none less than 10, even in the disaster against Essendon) and got 4 goals in the finals. For me most of that was worry free.

His contribution in his last 5 ( of 6) games this season has been double that of his replacement in every category.

Yes he has had some bad games over the years, but the number has been exaggerated to the point of being legendary at the club. anyone who wants to appear knowledgeable simply says Schache is always crap, and then disappears in the crowd of cheering onlookers. That’s all they need to hear.

When Bruce gets a total of two possessions in a game from 80% game time he doesn’t get dropped. That’s when I worry about the team’s chances next game. Fortunately the team is good enough to carry him until he makes a positive contribution. So far he is travelling well behind Schache this year, but he might come good in the west. But I’ll be worrying. Next year I don’t expect to have that problem, he will be fit and strong and kicking lots of goals again.

I hope so but... he's 31 next year. Around the time you might expect him to start to drop off even without the recent knee injury. Might be spending some time in the VFL next year depending on the form of Darcy etc.

Boots
22-08-2022, 05:31 PM

To be fair to Schache, I will admit that the midfield's terminal lapse in the 3rd has overwritten any possible memory I have of how he played in the GF. I still don't like that we keep him on the list. Seems the best you can say about him is that he's inconsistent, which is a liability on a player expected to fill such key, high-impact roles.

And for the record I didn't say anything about Bruce. I irrationally like him a lot, but not so much that I can defend his continued presence in the team.

DOG GOD
22-08-2022, 06:17 PM
This is Bevo….

Cordy will play
Vanders will play
Bruce will play

Bulldog Joe
22-08-2022, 06:29 PM
This is Bevo….

Cordy will play
Vanders will play
Bruce will play

I can live with 2 of those 3 but Josh needs a pre-season before he plays again.

DOG GOD
22-08-2022, 06:36 PM
I can live with 2 of those 3 but Josh needs a pre-season before he plays again.
I agree, but Bevo won’t. He crashes packs and is aggressive. That’s why he will play ahead of Schache.

kruder
22-08-2022, 06:52 PM

My feel is that you have to play Darcy forward, I reckon where his inexperience will play against him in a final will be in defence particularly in this side.

The match committee have some interesting decisions coming up. I'm keen for JJ to come in for VDM, he is good off a spell and I think Optus suits his game.

jeemak
22-08-2022, 07:16 PM
I thought Vanders contributed a little more, though I need to see more tackling from someone who is supposed to be in the side to put actual pressure on the opposition and not just act like he is.

West averages double the amount of tackles and double the amount of goals per game, and I prefer him in the side.

If JJ is ready I think he will play. We need to get some speed on the ground and he is rated internally.

It won't happen but I want Bruce out and Schache in. I think we'll back the defence.

Danjul
22-08-2022, 07:47 PM
I thought Vanders contributed a little more, though I need to see more tackling from someone who is supposed to be in the side to put actual pressure on the opposition and not just act like he is.

West averages double the amount of tackles and double the amount of goals per game, and I prefer him in the side.

If JJ is ready I think he will play. We need to get some speed on the ground and he is rated internally.

It won't happen but I want Bruce out and Schache in. I think we'll back the defence.
I was surprised that West was dropped. The game against GWS was turning into a disaster and the forward line was ineffective all day. They got a total of three goals between them. For example,Weightman had 8 possessions and 1 goal (just a bad day). Goals came from backmen and midfielders.

Williams kicked a goal in the third quarter that got back the lead. Later in the quarter West fought hard for the ball in a pack, handballed to Williams who goaled from the boundary line to give a small buffer. West’s strength in the contest and Williams long kick we’re highlights that few In the team can repeat. The buffer wasn’t sufficient and GWS had the lead again until JUH kicked the winning goal ( his only one in the last 3 games). 3 quality contributions by players doing what they do best at critical times.

West was dropped after 13 strong possessions, I see people calling for Williams to be dropped after being our leading goal kicker in the game that got us into finals contention.

What needs to be dropped is the features of the game plan that got the team into a position that could end the season prematurely against the (seriously depleted) 16th team. Because our finals opponents won’t be as forgiving.

jeemak
22-08-2022, 07:53 PM
I was surprised that West was dropped. The game against GWS was turning into a disaster and the forward line was ineffective all day. They got a total of three goals between them. For example,Weightman had 8 possessions and 1 goal (just a bad day). Goals came from backmen and midfielders.

Williams kicked a goal in the third quarter that got back the lead. Later in the quarter West fought hard for the ball in a pack, handballed to Williams who goaled from the boundary line to give a small buffer. West’s strength in the contest and Williams long kick we’re highlights that few In the team can repeat. The buffer wasn’t sufficient and GWS had the lead again until JUH kicked the winning goal ( his only one in the last 3 games). 3 quality contributions by players doing what they do best at critical times.

West was dropped after 13 strong possessions, I see people calling for Williams to be dropped after being our leading goal kicker in the game that got us into finals contention.

What needs to be dropped is the features of the game plan that got the team into a position that could end the season prematurely against the (seriously depleted) 16th team. Because our finals opponents won’t be as forgiving.

Which features are those?

Danjul
22-08-2022, 09:06 PM
Which features are those?
Standing 5 to 10 metres back from the mark, seemed to help both Freo and particularly GWS move the ball into positions where they could set up forwards. Happened a number of times directly in front of me on the wing. It moved our players out of the line of play so that the kicks happened quicker and the final kick into the forward 50 was lower and harder for the backline to defend.

Cribbing on the mark would make the opposition game slower and 15 metres longer because they have to walk back from the mark.

In the Freo game Lobb was a disappointment generally, except for his 3 match winning goals ( all very low percentage shots so he has talent ), the other was relatively simple . From what I remember the delivery into him was was unhurried . I would like to see the opposition team put under more 1 on 1 pressure between the arcs so that they less able to do those precision kicks, and hopefully they would also be less able to chip the ball forward so easily.

This aspect really frustrated the crowd around me at those two games.

kruder
22-08-2022, 09:11 PM
This is Bevo….

Cordy will play
Vanders will play
Bruce will play

In fairness to Bevo, playing Roarke on the weekend may have been the difference between winning and loosing.

Grantysghost
22-08-2022, 09:11 PM
Standing 5 to 10 metres back from the mark, seemed to help both Freo and particularly GWS move the ball into positions where they could set up forwards. Happened a number of times directly in front of me on the wing. It moved our players out of the line of play so that the kicks happened quicker and the final kick into the forward 50 was lower and harder for the backline to defend.

Cribbing on the mark would make the opposition game slower and 15 metres longer because they have to walk back from the mark.

In the Freo game Lobb was a disappointment generally, except for his 3 match winning goals ( all very low percentage shots so he has talent ), the other was relatively simple . From what I remember the delivery into him was was unhurried . I would like to see the opposition team put under more 1 on 1 pressure between the arcs so that they less able to do those precision kicks, and hopefully they would also be less able to chip the ball forward so easily.

We have to have a plan B if Freo are beating us with the chip around and that has to be man on man.

We can't just keep letting it happen.

I'm ok with going the zone early as long as the right players are third man up (not Richards), but if it's getting busted apart again then I hope we try something.

We did it late in the Giants game so I think we did learn a bit from the last Freo contest.

jeemak
22-08-2022, 09:22 PM

The interesting thing is we have been able to squeeze the opposition between the arcs really well at different times, and did so on Sunday when deploying the outside five tactic. Collingwood and a few others have adopted it as well, so I think this is an easy one to blame when it might not be the real issue.

What may be happening is a desire to protect the corridor and or own it has meant we're not defending narrow enough on the wings. This coupled with not being assertive enough or concentrating enough to come to the loose players bringing it forward has meant we've probably missed out on really good turnover opportunities (just a guess, haven't seen our turnover stats) and the chance to use some of the looser players in the middle of the ground. It's our intent and assertiveness I would focus on.

Bevo has alluded to the fact we're giving away too much easy ball and things are out of whack, so I reckon what we're seeing is probably a symptom of trying to manipulate other areas of the game with a byproduct being we're a bit loose. You might think it's game plan, I might think it's execution, both or neither of us could be right.

We have to have a plan B if Freo are beating us with the chip around and that has to be man on man.

I'm ok with going the zone early as long as the right players are third man up (not Richards), but if it's getting busted apart again then I hope we try something.

We won't ever deploy a genuine man on man defence, more so, just hang onto a man instead of handing over for longer periods if we're not tight.

The third man up is an issue, we seem to leave ourselves exposed on the deck when our smaller players fly to spoil and it's getting to the point where we actually need to trust the likes of Cordy and Gardner more and stay down while they spoil or mark the footy.

hujsh
22-08-2022, 09:37 PM
The interesting thing is we have been able to squeeze the opposition between the arcs really well at different times, and did so on Sunday when deploying the outside five tactic. Collingwood and a few others have adopted it as well, so I think this is an easy one to blame when it might not be the real issue.

What may be happening is a desire to protect the corridor and or own it has meant we're not defending narrow enough on the wings. This coupled with not being assertive enough or concentrating enough to come to the loose players bringing it forward has meant we've probably missed out on really good turnover opportunities (just a guess, haven't seen our turnover stats) and the chance to use some of the looser players in the middle of the ground. It's our intent and assertiveness I would focus on.

Bevo has alluded to the fact we're giving away too much easy ball and things are out of whack, so I reckon what we're seeing is probably a symptom of trying to manipulate other areas of the game with a byproduct being we're a bit loose. You might think it's game plan, I might think it's execution, both or neither of us could be right.

We won't ever deploy a genuine man on man defence, more so, just hang onto a man instead of handing over for longer periods if we're not tight.

The third man up is an issue, we seem to leave ourselves exposed on the deck when our smaller players fly to spoil and it's getting to the point where we actually need to trust the likes of Cordy and Gardner more and stay down while they spoil or mark the footy.

Out of curiosity, does anyone? I'd think all teams have some sort of zone defence now but I don't watch other teams especially closely so it's possibly I've missed it

Grantysghost
22-08-2022, 09:40 PM

Exactly right re the man on man it's more a shortening of the leash.

Against the Giants late there was a floater blocking the outlet and a more accountable setup.

Grantysghost
22-08-2022, 09:43 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone? I'd think all teams have some sort of zone defence now but I don't watch other teams especially closely so it's possibly I've missed it

Freo play the closest thing to it I've seen.

But I'm sure I'm missing some of the nuance to it.

We need MJP to explain it.

jeemak
22-08-2022, 09:44 PM

I haven't really seen it.

From what I can gather we do everything we can to try and avoid our defenders being left one on one.

mjp
22-08-2022, 11:39 PM

This made me laugh (a lot)...I think it was a bit of a 'crazy' laugh.

I have this theory that not only will we zone, but we will play some kind of 'uber-zone' that confuses not only the Dockers but everyone wearing R-W-B. I have no doubt we are going to see some stuff in the game vs Freo but I don't like your chances of it being a man-on-man defense or forward press.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-08-2022, 11:41 PM
8:10 on Saturday must mean free to air for us non Murdoch buyers.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2022, 12:26 AM
I'd like to try and get the likes of West and Garcia in.

Maybe Scott.

JJ if he's committed.

It'll be interesting at the selection table. Roarke should play, Bruce shouldn't.

Early thoughts;

Out - Bruce, Vandermeer, McComb, Cordy
In - Schache, Garcia/JJ, West, Keath

** Keath has been poor, but if he's ever going to play again, it's now.

Bullies
23-08-2022, 12:43 AM
We beat GWS and Hawks. Hawks kicked 2.3 in the second half, so something has been tweaked and worked. Both of their teams were very much depleted so could not maintain the standard needed to play the role for 4 quarters. Freo we never looked like beating them and they can maintain that standard. A bigger ground may assist us and harder for them to play keeping off.

jeemak
23-08-2022, 12:48 AM
Both of their teams were very much depleted so could not maintain the standard needed to play the role for 4 quarters. Freo we never looked like beating them and they can maintain that standard. A bigger ground may assist us and harder for them to play keeping off.

It's funny, a bigger ground should enable them more space to toy with us. However, we always struggle to adapt to the lack of space on the narrower grounds like Kardinia Park and the old Subiaco, where we'd continually give away space wide when we just never thought opposition teams would go, only to see them zig and zag close to the boundary and cut us up.

This isn't going to be a huge awakening to anyone, but to me it's all in the heads of our players. We can make some minor adjustments in mindset and proactiveness in how assertive we want to be when we don't have the footy and keep space closed out, no matter the size of the ground.

Bullies
23-08-2022, 04:54 AM
It's funny, a bigger ground should enable them more space to toy with us. However, we always struggle to adapt to the lack of space on the narrower grounds like Kardinia Park and the old Subiaco, where we'd continually give away space wide when we just never thought opposition teams would go, only to see them zig and zag close to the boundary and cut us up.

This isn't going to be a huge awakening to anyone, but to me it's all in the heads of our players. We can make some minor adjustments in mindset and proactiveness in how assertive we want to be when we don't have the footy and keep space closed out, no matter the size of the ground. the bigger ground makes it more taxing on the team trying to play keepings off. More chance of error and turnover as well.

Danjul
23-08-2022, 09:24 AM
I'd like to try and get the likes of West and Garcia in.

Maybe Scott.

JJ if he's committed.

It'll be interesting at the selection table. Roarke should play, Bruce shouldn't.

Early thoughts;

Out - Bruce, Vandermeer, McComb, Cordy
In - Schache, Garcia/JJ, West, Keath

** Keath has been poor, but if he's ever going to play again, it's now.

I watched about half of the vfl game and although the ball didn’t go into the backline often Keath seemed to be moving more freely than in his last 5 or 6 afl games (where he seemed to be hobbling)

The Doctor
23-08-2022, 09:35 AM
Schache for Bruce surely. Why play a man down?

Would like to see JJ return if fit.

GVGjr
23-08-2022, 09:39 AM
Schache for Bruce surely. Why play a man down?

Would like to see JJ return if fit.

Makes sense but who knows if we would make that change.

Do you think Schache will be with us next season?

bornadog
23-08-2022, 09:54 AM
A bigger ground may assist us and harder for them to play keeping off.

Optus Stadium is about the same size as Marvel

165m x 130 compared to 159.5 x 128.5

The Doctor
23-08-2022, 09:57 AM
Makes sense but who knows if we would make that change.

Do you think Schache will be with us next season?

If I was Schache and had an offer elsewhere I would take it.

Danjul
23-08-2022, 12:35 PM
If I was Schache and had an offer elsewhere I would take it.
Which clubs have a spot for him?

josie
23-08-2022, 02:35 PM
Which clubs have a spot for him?

Pies need another tall forward I reckon.

Axe Man
23-08-2022, 02:41 PM
Pies need another tall forward I reckon.

They are getting McStay.

hujsh
23-08-2022, 02:45 PM
If he's free maybe North? I might just be saying that because they're not very good.

azabob
23-08-2022, 03:17 PM
If he's free maybe North? I might just be saying that because they're not very good.

If Bevo and Schache are like oil and water; I can't see Clarkson wanting Schache on his team.

The bulldog tragician
23-08-2022, 04:24 PM
Nine pages of guesses and speculation, still nine days to go til selections drop … and yet we will almost certainly be stunned and confused by whatever Bevo pulls out of his…err…. hat!

I can’t even hazard a guess but my hope is that we don’t again pick a completely ineffective Bruce in the increasingly forlorn hope he will do “something” and that the McComb experiment is over. I want Darcy to play in the forward line - he’s too raw in defence as yet - and don’t see why he would be overawed. We won a flag with two 19 year olds.

Cordy is underwhelming in defence but Keath has been terrible so I have no idea what the right thing to do is there.

Rocco Jones
23-08-2022, 04:26 PM
Ok I am about to go more full Bevo than Bevo...

In: West, Schache, Scott, Keath
Out: Vanders, Bruce, Truck, Zaine
Sub: Tobias

Darcy right now is a bit all or nothing with his intercept mark attempts down back making his vulnerable to leaking goals. He looked instantly dangerous forward.

We've been desperately after an intercept defender, fair play to shout me down here, but I'd go with Naughts back. Massive risk but back Marra and Darcy forward more than our KPDs.

Obviously would need Naughts to been confident in making the change but idk not like we are organised anyway.

Mantis
23-08-2022, 04:29 PM
Ok I am about to go more full Bevo than Bevo...

In: West, Schache, Scott, Keath
Out: Vanders, Bruce, Truck, Zaine
Sub: Tobias

Darcy right now is a bit all or nothing with his intercept mark attempts down back making his vulnerable to leaking goals. He looked instantly dangerous forward.

We've been desperately after an intercept defender, fair play to shout me down here, but I'd go with Naughts back. Massive risk but back Marra and Darcy forward more than our KPDs.

Obviously would need Naughts to been confident in making the change but idk not like we are organised anyway.

I'll shout you down... that's not happening.

In 2-3 years time I'd be more than happy with Darcy and Marra as our targets up forward... but they'd get destroyed without a more mature player to assist.

Understand our key defenders generally suck, but it's too late to make this change.

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2022, 04:41 PM

In 2-3 years time I'd be more than happy with Darcy and Marra as our targets up forward... but they'd get destroyed without a more mature player to assist.

Understand our key defenders generally suck, but it's too late to make this change.

I actually like the idea of starting Naughton back and let him grab a few before sending him forward.

If we bring Schache in we could even alternate them and keep the opposition guessing.

I definitely want Darcy forward predominately. It is just a different dynamic to test Freo with his reach.

I also absolutely want Bruce to be not playing.

Rocco Jones
23-08-2022, 04:44 PM

Yeah and they'd have Schache or Bruce as the mature assistance.

I do think my idea is ridiculous, I just feel our KPDs suck, as you said. The issue is the one that's going well is the opposite of an intercept marking type too. Come back Lewy!!!

Rocco Jones
23-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Our best 3 KPFs are Naughts, Marra and Darcy. Is Sam okay to go in a relief ruck?

Grantysghost
23-08-2022, 04:47 PM
Yeah and they'd have Schache or Bruce as the mature assistance.

I do think my idea is ridiculous, I just feel our KPDs suck, as you said. The issue is the one that's going well is the opposite of an intercept marking type too. Come back Lewy!!!

The reasoning is sound, problem is Naughton is such an amazing forward.
How on earth have the Bulldogs got too many tall forwards??
It's unheard of.
Bruce played back at the Giants.

Mantis
23-08-2022, 04:53 PM
The reasoning is sound, problem is Naughton is such an amazing forward.
How on earth have the Bulldogs got too many tall forwards??
It's unheard of.
Bruce played back at the Giants.

And wasn't great at it so they shifted him forward... plus he's moving poorly so it's impossible to see how he could help our defence.

soupman
23-08-2022, 05:23 PM
And wasn't great at it so they shifted him forward... plus he's moving poorly so it's impossible to see how he could help our defence.

And one of his biggest issues atm is that he has nfi where the ball is going to land.

bornadog
23-08-2022, 05:27 PM
How on earth have the Bulldogs got too many tall forwards?? It's unheard of.

I have followed the Dogs for a long time and never have we had so many options with tall forwards.

Naughton has kicked 51 goals and is the most dangerous forward we have. Must stay in the forward line.

I would move Darcy forward, drop Bruce, and bring in TOB - we don't have much choice. I don't even trust Keath, he has been shocking this year. The other alternative is Schache goes back and don't bring in TOB.

DOG GOD
23-08-2022, 05:37 PM
I dont think we have much choice than to play Cordy and Gardner, with Darcy.
Bruce isn’t going to be dropped
And Bevo is not going to bring in Schache.
Keath is a chance but his body is shot.

comrade
23-08-2022, 06:15 PM
What I’d give to have a 27 year old Dale Morris right about now.

Rocco Jones
23-08-2022, 07:16 PM
The added thing with Bruce for mine is Darcy. It's clear he shouldn't play anyway but Darcy looks a much better options forward short term. If we play him there, have Naughts forward and play Bruce, that's clearly top heavy.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-08-2022, 09:49 PM
The added thing with Bruce for mine is Darcy. It's clear he shouldn't play anyway but Darcy looks a much better options forward short term. If we play him there, have Naughts forward and play Bruce, that's clearly top heavy.

Outside of Naughton, we have lacked another quality tall forward and Darcy has emerged as the best available given Bruce’s poor year.
Rourke Smith in kicking 3 goals against Hawthorn again highlighted our lack of smaller forwards apart from Weightman who kick goals.
Playing Darcy forward still leaves a void at CHB as both Keath and O’Brien have struggled and this becomes an urgent requirement for Sam Power and our recruiting team.

azabob
24-08-2022, 08:39 AM
Outside of Naughton, we have lacked another quality tall forward and Darcy has emerged as the best available given Bruce’s poor year.
Rourke Smith in kicking 3 goals against Hawthorn again highlighted our lack of smaller forwards apart from Weightman who kick goals.
Playing Darcy forward still leaves a void at CHB as both Keath and O’Brien have struggled and this becomes an urgent requirement for Sam Power and our recruiting team.

Where do you see Jamarra Ugle-Hagan?

Bullies
25-08-2022, 07:16 AM
And one of his biggest issues atm is that he has nfi where the ball is going to land. And he looks like a big turtle trying to get up when he hits the ground. The trainer needs to roll him over.

Bullies
25-08-2022, 07:19 AM
Where do you see Jamarra Ugle-Hagan? He will no doubt be a freak of a player but he is a year or 2 off doing it consistently. You can see he oozes talent.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2022, 10:02 AM
And he looks like a big turtle trying to get up when he hits the ground. The trainer needs to roll him over.

This gave me a good laugh.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-08-2022, 09:42 PM

There is still a role for Jamarra to play alongside Darcy and Naughton. This would enable us to play Darcy as a back up ruck man to English. Prefer to see Naughton at centre half forward with Jamarra at full forward and Darcy changing with English in the forward pocket. This would free up Naughton whose class and aerial marking would open up our attack.

FrediKanoute
25-08-2022, 11:47 PM

I see him as more of a Nicky Winmar/Micky O'Loughlin type player than a Lance Franklin type. He will get better, but I don't think he will star in this year's finals.

Re Bruce - he should not be playing v Freo. I would go with Schache. Has kicked goals and you know what you will get with him forward.

angelopetraglia
26-08-2022, 02:13 PM
Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli insists he has recovered from an adductor issue and will be fit for an elimination final against Fremantle next weekend.

Bontempelli has been battling a groin issue while still taking to the field but said on Friday he will make the trip west to Optus Stadium.

“It wasn’t as bad as what was put out - it was more of an overload result from a corkie the previous week,” Bontempelli said.

Bontempelli had been in doubt for the round-22 clash against Greater Western Sydney because of injury but played, and took on Hawthorn last weekend, when the Bulldogs edged into the top eight after Carlton’s demise at the MCG.

Coach Luke Beveridge had said Bontempelli had been dealing with various “niggles” through the season.

“He [Beveridge] was correct in the fact that we had a bit of a sit down and a chat about it,” Bontempelli said.

“I know where my body’s at, so it was a good discussion around it, but I’m feeling pretty good and I’m definitely over the adductor stuff now, which is good.”

The pre-finals break could not have come at a better time for the champion midfielder, as the Bulldogs again mount a premiership run from outside the top four, having made grand finals in 2016 and 2021 respectively from seventh and fifth on the ladder.

“The pre-finals bye does present that opportunity to freshen your mind and your body up and get set to go for another finals series,” Bontempelli said.

Full article: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/definitely-over-the-adductor-bontempelli-to-make-trip-west-20220826-p5bcxa.html

bornadog
27-08-2022, 12:12 AM
Stevo thinks one change. Out Bruce, in Keath and Darcy forward

MrMahatma
27-08-2022, 12:31 AM

Better team

GVGjr
27-08-2022, 09:37 AM

It's a reasonable suggestion, not sure if it has a lot of merit though. We seem committed to Bruce and there has to be a question on if Keath is better now than when he was dropped.

westbulldog
27-08-2022, 10:51 AM
Surely Bruce cannot be selected.

MrMahatma
27-08-2022, 11:42 AM
It's a reasonable suggestion, not sure if it has a lot of merit though. We seem committed to Bruce and there has to be a question on if Keath is better now than when he was dropped.

Surely it’s a net gain though?

GVGjr
27-08-2022, 11:55 AM
Surely it’s a net gain though?

I think so but I could also see us dropping Bruce for Hannan and using him to tag Ryan.

kruder
27-08-2022, 06:20 PM
Hopefully Keath has had a chance to freshen up a little, it does sounds like Taberner will play.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2022, 06:44 PM
I wonder if Hannan will be a chance as a forward.

He hasn't had a run at it mainly due to the concussion, and then a change of position, but our forward half has looked uncompetitive at times.

Does he give us more than a Vandermeer/Garcia/McNeil? Probably.

GVGjr
27-08-2022, 06:59 PM

He hasn't had a run at it mainly due to the concussion, and then a change of position, but our forward half has looked uncompetitive at times.

I don't think we could squeeze all of Bruce, Naughton, Marra, Darcy and Hannan in and even if Darcy played in the back line it would be a taller forward line than we would normally see.

Could Hannan mark Ryan?

bornadog
28-08-2022, 12:09 AM
I don't think we could squeeze all of Bruce, Naughton, Marra, Darcy and Hannan in and even if Darcy played in the back line it would be a taller forward line than we would normally see.

Could Hannan mark Ryan?

Hannan was not impressive in the last VFL game where we thrashed GWS. I would not bring him in.

azabob
28-08-2022, 09:50 AM
IN: Biggs, M.Boyd, T.Boyd, Hamling, C.Smith, Picken,

I just finished watching 2016 EF, gee it would be nice bringing in a smattering of those players.

Boots
28-08-2022, 10:49 AM

serious question - if we keep pushing emerging defenders forward how will we ever cover the backline?

but also, what’s the point of Darcy forward if it just means we have the same problem in the forward line as we do in the midfield (ie too many players)?

I can see the merit in ditching Bruce, but it still leaves us with a very raw forward line of Naughton, Darcy, Marra, Cody, and two other spots that will be hotly contested but I’m not sure we have the talent for? Darcy forward actually makes us more unbalanced because we end up with two marking talls and two marking mediums but no defensive pressure forwards or crumbers.

I was going to say that crumbers and an intercept defender are more important to our game plan than another tall forward but then I realised I don’t know what it is any more. I guess if the forward line can take clean marks and the midfield can get enough centre clearances it obviates the need to defend at all, and our defence doesn’t have to compress forward (which is tiring) or create repeat entries (which they aren’t good at anymore). But even with Darcy forward that feels like a big set of ifs.

I didn’t see Darcy up forward in the Hawthorn game. But I really liked him in defence.

1eyedog
28-08-2022, 11:01 AM
Tend to agree to a point and for this reason I'd also be trying to get West in as a defensive forward option. Naughts and Cody are badass on the ground we kill two birds with one stone with them, Jamarra is ok it's just Darcy who is a one trick pony but that one trick netted us two important goals last week. Not sure Darcy makes us unbalanced if Bruce comes out though?

The trouble is we simply don't have the type of player you want forward, it is what it is. Personally, I look at Jamarra, Naughton, Darcy and Weightman and think there are some big headaches down there for Freo.
In three years time that will be the dominant forwardline in the comp.

In terms of the backline I can see Darcy being swung back there as an inceptor if needed. Naughts as well if it's tight late in the game. Once again, our backline is what it is. One big positive is Doc is fit. He makes a difference. Very under-rated player when fit and our best small defender.

We have options.

soupman
28-08-2022, 05:50 PM
I'd start Darcy down back. We lack any aerial quality there aside from Gardners spoiling, and while Darcy is lacking in his ability one on one if we can apply enough pressure that it doesn't come in quick then I think his height and marking ability at least offer something of value back there.

I like everyone else enjoyed his foray forward and do think he probably is destined to play most of his career there but I think doing it this week is maybe setting him up to fail? Freo's defence is a lot better than Hawthorns checked out one, we will be wanting our forwards to deliver a pretty high pressure game and not sure his pace nor fitness is up to that, and realistically if you exclude a 2 minute purple patch he was pretty quiet up there in his break out game.

I'd play him back, and then swing him forward if it isn't going too well.

F'scary
28-08-2022, 05:54 PM
I like the idea of retiring Bruce and playing Darcy deep FP.

Just not sure about who to replace Darcy with down back. I am completely and utterly scared shirtless of playing Schache but Keath was moving like Robby the Robot before they relegated him. Maybe move Truck Williams to pinch hit as third tall and rely on Cordless and Gardiner as the tall defensive timber.

West should be brought in as a forward, he will have had a rocket up his backside being dropped and will play like he did against the MAGApies.

Weightman worries me a bit. But please, no more Hannan. God no.

So only one change for mine. Bruce out for West.

F'scary
28-08-2022, 06:10 PM

Hannan is too soft, perhaps. He is scared to tackle and he only pretends to chase lest he actually catch up with anyone. He also frequently overruns the ball so he won't cop a heavy tackle and he changes directions to gutto out of contests. I prefer Vandermeer because he is one of those straight ahead not-real-clever guys, like most of the Geelong players and look where they are on the ladder.

GVGjr
28-08-2022, 06:26 PM
Hannan is too soft, perhaps. He is scared to tackle and he only pretends to chase lest he actually catch up with anyone. He also frequently overruns the ball so he won't cop a heavy tackle and he changes directions to gutto out of contests. I prefer Vandermeer because he is one of those straight ahead not-real-clever guys, like most of the Geelong players and look where they are on the ladder.

Welcome back F'scary,
Regarding Hannan, I've never really noticed him being soft. Vandermeer has disappointed from my perspective but he does have a lot of upside.

F'scary
28-08-2022, 06:41 PM
Welcome back F'scary,
Regarding Hannan, I've never really noticed him being soft. Vandermeer has disappointed from my perspective but he does have a lot of upside.

Well, if they play Hannan ever again, we can compare notes, I'll concede he has skills.

bornadog
28-08-2022, 06:50 PM
Weightman worries me a bit.

Why?

He has kicked 35 goals which is a big effort

dog town
29-08-2022, 12:10 AM
Why?

It’s not him it’s that we are lining up like Weightman can win ground balls when he can’t. Smalls that don’t play small present as many issues as talls that don’t play tall.

Bullies
29-08-2022, 09:28 AM
It's a reasonable suggestion, not sure if it has a lot of merit though. We seem committed to Bruce and there has to be a question on if Keath is better now than when he was dropped. We were committed to Bruce but I don't think they would have expected the output he has produced. You can't take someone with that form into an Elimination Final.

Mantis
29-08-2022, 10:47 AM
We were committed to Bruce but I don't think they would have expected the output he has produced. You can't take someone with that form into an Elimination Final.

That’s the issue though, we’ve played our cards by playing him when we shouldn’t have so it would be a huge turnaround to omit for this week.

He can’t play based on output, but I 100% expect him to be selected.

F'scary
29-08-2022, 10:59 AM
Why?

His best is great but...he is a hot and cold player. Goes missing for weeks

mjp
29-08-2022, 11:00 AM
He can’t play based on output, but I 100% expect him to be selected.

So do I.

westbulldog
29-08-2022, 11:46 AM
If VDM is selected he should tag and negate Young. VDM isn't a goalkicker anyway but has the closing speed to do a tagging job on their best defender.

GVGjr
29-08-2022, 11:55 AM
If VDM is selected he should tag and negate Young. VDM isn't a goalkicker anyway but has the closing speed to do a tagging job on their best defender.

Good suggestion, Fremantle have some very creative players in their back line and if we can quieten one or two of them without impacting our scoring it will certainly improve our chances.

Mantis
29-08-2022, 12:20 PM

Has he ever played a negating role?

No better time than a final to test out a theory!

bornadog
29-08-2022, 01:03 PM
It’s not him it’s that we are lining up like Weightman can win ground balls when he can’t. Smalls that don’t play small present as many issues as talls that don’t play tall.

Give me two players that have kicked 86 goals between them (one tall- Naughton, one Mid size- Flea) every day of the week. Yeah, he does fly for some marks when he shouldn't but overall, take another look at old games like I did on the weekend and he rarely got in anyone's way

His best is great but...he is a hot and cold player. Goes missing for weeks

He has kicked goals in all but 4 games this season.

Give me Weightman any time.

Axe Man
29-08-2022, 01:04 PM
Still 5 days out but do we look to go smaller if it's wet?

https://i.postimg.cc/q7wPz8Bp/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Mofra
29-08-2022, 01:15 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/q7wPz8Bp/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)
I'd be tempted to go smaller if it wasn't wet - the way Freo pretty much walked the ball from their backline to HF last time was embarrassing.
Anybody who can run and stop those easy kicks needs to be considered.
I wouldn't be shocked if JJ gets rushed back. One less tall (with Darcy swinging to both ends) might just work.

I know we like to laud our side for the 2016 EF win against West Coast, but let's not forget for some inexplicable reason they brought the immobile Mitch Brown back into an already tall side to impersonate a statue for most of the game.

GVGjr
29-08-2022, 01:19 PM
Give me two players that have kicked 86 goals between them (one tall- Naughton, one Mid size- Flea) every day of the week. Yeah, he does fly for some marks when he shouldn't but overall, take another look at old games like I did on the weekend and he rarely got in anyone's way

As has been discussed, he is not a goal crumbing forward and I think there is a tendency for some of us to have that expectation for him. As you point out he should be judged on being a goal kicking forward and he is doing that quite well.
He's a young player so will have some challenges with consistency especially given that small/mid forward role he plays.

Axe Man
29-08-2022, 01:23 PM
As has been discussed, he is not a goal crumbing forward and I think there is a tendency for some of us to have that expectation for him. As you point out he should be judged on being a goal kicking forward and he is doing that quite well.
He's a young player so will have some challenges with consistency especially given that small/mid forward role he plays.

Jamie Elliott is a pretty similar player to Cody, they are the same size and play the same way yet I don't see any criticism of Elliott for flying for marks or not crumbing enough.

azabob
29-08-2022, 01:24 PM
I'd be tempted to go smaller if it wasn't wet - the way Freo pretty much walked the ball from their backline to HF last time was embarrassing.
Anybody who can run and stop those easy kicks needs to be considered.
I wouldn't be shocked if JJ gets rushed back. One less tall (with Darcy swinging to both ends) might just work.

I know we like to laud our side for the 2016 EF win against West Coast, but let's not forget for some inexplicable reason they brought the immobile Mitch Brown back into an already tall side to impersonate a statue for most of the game.

Our team was also extra undersized.

Our backline that night was Hamling, Morris, Wood, Boyd, Biggs and JJ.

Hawks also waltzed the ball out of our F50.

GVGjr
29-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Jamie Elliott is a pretty similar player to Cody, they are the same size and play the same way yet I don't see any criticism of Elliott for flying for marks or not crumbing enough.

Good comparison.

Axe Man
29-08-2022, 01:56 PM
Dogs ponder Darcy's best role for Freo showdown (https://www.afl.com.au/news/832291/dogs-ponder-darcy-s-best-role-for-freo-showdown)

Having impressed both forward and back in his short AFL career to date, Sam Darcy's role against Fremantle is yet to be determined

AARON Naughton hopes to have Sam Darcy alongside him in attack as the Western Bulldogs weigh up their best mix of tall forwards for their elimination final against Fremantle.

Father-son recruit Darcy debuted in defence when the two sides last met in round 21 but shone at the other end of the ground in the Bulldogs' round 23 win over Hawthorn.

The 19-year-old kicked two goals and Naughton added three, while fellow talls Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (0.2) and Josh Bruce (0.0) went goalless.

The quartet's availability gives Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge plenty to ponder ahead of Saturday night's knockout final at Optus Stadium.

Naughton is in no doubt about where he thinks the 205cm Darcy should line up.

"I'd like him down there with me," Naughton said on Monday.

"He takes another big defender away so I'd be pretty happy with that.

"We've only really had the one game (together) and he was really impressive.

"His sheer height and being able to stand under high balls is something not many blokes can do.

"He's only going to get a lot better and it's pretty exciting to play hopefully alongside him this weekend with Jamarra down there.

"The three of us are still pretty young but pretty exciting."

Naughton leads the Bulldogs' goal-kicking with 51 majors this season, almost triple the tally of the next most productive tall forward (Ugle-Hagan, 18).

The 22-year-old was drafted as a defender but said there is no chance he will be sent to the Dogs' backline, which needs to keep Dockers tall Rory Lobb in check after his match-winning four-goal haul the last time they met.

Naughton added that missing round 18 with a bout of COVID-19 had turned out to he a blessing in disguise, given it will him to play his 100th game for the Bulldogs in front of family and friends in his home state.

The powerful forward made good use of the pre-finals bye, relaxing in Anglesea with teammates after a tough home-and-away season in which he battled a nagging knee injury.

"I'm probably one for the bye this year. I'm a little bit sore so it was good to freshen up and I think a lot of boys were like that," Naughton said.

"(My body) is a lot better than halfway through the year. I managed to get rid of the knee tape, which is nice.

"It's feeling really good now."

1eyedog
29-08-2022, 02:20 PM

yer but Collingwood doesn't have an Aaron Naughton or a Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (or possibly even a Sam Darcy) down there. Flea is good at hangers but stick to lead ups, creating seperation on your opponent and ground ball opportunities from here please.

EasternWest
29-08-2022, 02:24 PM

Weightman is a gun and has already proven he can win games off his own boot.

He's simply not a crumbing small forward so we need to get over it.

bornadog
29-08-2022, 03:01 PM

He is a mid sized forward.

I just don't get the criticism?

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 03:24 PM

Not sure he's gun level yet.

Straight kick that's for sure.

I think there's always going to be a comparison with Pickett, and the move Melbourne made to get in front of us and nab him so that's possibly where any criticism stems from.

Pickett is better than Weightman at the moment and also suits an area of need for us.

I won't compare them any more however as they're different types.

jeemak
29-08-2022, 03:54 PM
Would we be happier with Weightman as a crumber who kicked less goals and do we think him changing his game to focus on that would have a material impact on whether we win or lose?

Or do we want that because the player we really wanted as a crumber was nabbed before we could select him?

Does anyone have any stats for ground ball gets and goals kicked from ground ball gets and goal assists from ground ball gets to use to compare Cody against other players his size and position in these areas?

It'd be really cool if this information was available.

Mofra
29-08-2022, 03:59 PM
He is a mid sized forward.

I just don't get the criticism?
He's also a natural forward which helps - everyone else under 6 4 in our front half are re-purposed mids (or occasionally defenders)

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 04:00 PM
Would we be happier with Weightman as a crumber who kicked less goals and do we think him changing his game to focus on that would have a material impact on whether we win or lose?

Or do we want that because the player we really wanted as a crumber was nabbed before we could select him?

Does anyone have any stats for ground ball gets and goals kicked from ground ball gets and goal assists from ground ball gets to use to compare Cody against other players his size and position in these areas?

I almost think Schache would play the same role as good if not better.

I mean what is the role?

Lead mark forward with questionable pressure acts. Shit.

Happy Days
29-08-2022, 04:10 PM
Cody’s a fantastic pressure player, what are we talking about here?

EasternWest
29-08-2022, 04:14 PM
Not sure he's gun level yet.

Straight kick that's for sure.

I think there's always going to be a comparison with Pickett, and the move Melbourne made to get in front of us and nab him so that's possibly where any criticism stems from.

Pickett is better than Weightman at the moment and also suits an area of need for us.

I won't compare them any more however as they're different types.

Yeah he's a gun. He's still got work to do, but players that can actually win games don't just come along.

I don't care about the Pickett/Weightman argument. They're both really good, but they're not the same style of player so they don't really compare.

I'm happy with him as he is. I don't think he could/should reinvent himself. If we want a crumbing forward we should recruit one to play alongside him.

Madness

GVGjr
29-08-2022, 04:24 PM

There is a tendency for many supporters to want players to turn into a different version of how they naturally play.
Our recruiters would have known that Weightman wasn't a genuine small crumbing forward and we still picked him. I would imagine we are very happy with that selection as well.
He may add some more strings to his bow but at the moment he creates some match-up challenges for the opposition and with a 35 goal haul for the season he's hitting the score board enough.
There is always room for improvement and I'm sure that will come.

I've mentioned this a few times before, he see's himself as a forward not a mid and he's certainly doing his job.

Bulldog4life
29-08-2022, 04:32 PM
Dogs ponder Darcy's best role for Freo showdown (https://www.afl.com.au/news/832291/dogs-ponder-darcy-s-best-role-for-freo-showdown)

Having impressed both forward and back in his short AFL career to date, Sam Darcy's role against Fremantle is yet to be determined

AARON Naughton hopes to have Sam Darcy alongside him in attack as the Western Bulldogs weigh up their best mix of tall forwards for their elimination final against Fremantle.

Father-son recruit Darcy debuted in defence when the two sides last met in round 21 but shone at the other end of the ground in the Bulldogs' round 23 win over Hawthorn.

The 19-year-old kicked two goals and Naughton added three, while fellow talls Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (0.2) and Josh Bruce (0.0) went goalless.

The quartet's availability gives Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge plenty to ponder ahead of Saturday night's knockout final at Optus Stadium.

Naughton is in no doubt about where he thinks the 205cm Darcy should line up.

"I'd like him down there with me," Naughton said on Monday.

"He takes another big defender away so I'd be pretty happy with that.

"We've only really had the one game (together) and he was really impressive.

"His sheer height and being able to stand under high balls is something not many blokes can do.

"He's only going to get a lot better and it's pretty exciting to play hopefully alongside him this weekend with Jamarra down there.

"The three of us are still pretty young but pretty exciting."

Naughton leads the Bulldogs' goal-kicking with 51 majors this season, almost triple the tally of the next most productive tall forward (Ugle-Hagan, 18).

The 22-year-old was drafted as a defender but said there is no chance he will be sent to the Dogs' backline, which needs to keep Dockers tall Rory Lobb in check after his match-winning four-goal haul the last time they met.

Naughton added that missing round 18 with a bout of COVID-19 had turned out to he a blessing in disguise, given it will him to play his 100th game for the Bulldogs in front of family and friends in his home state.

The powerful forward made good use of the pre-finals bye, relaxing in Anglesea with teammates after a tough home-and-away season in which he battled a nagging knee injury.

"I'm probably one for the bye this year. I'm a little bit sore so it was good to freshen up and I think a lot of boys were like that," Naughton said.

"(My body) is a lot better than halfway through the year. I managed to get rid of the knee tape, which is nice.

"It's feeling really good now."

Naughty mentions Darc and Marra being in the forward line with him but not Brucey. He might know something.

F'scary
29-08-2022, 05:38 PM

Another 6 games, he kicked only one goal. Let's exclude the game where he did his elbow, there are 9 games out of 19 where he has kicked one goal or less. He is also a low possession forward. He does not do a lot more with his possessions than take shots at goal.

I wonder which Cody we will get this Saturday night? The guy who only gets a few possessions but kicks multiple goals or the guy who only gets a few possessions and doesn't bother the scoreboard either. I also think he is hot and cold with his pressure acts, some games he is a terrier, others you just don't see him doing any of that much.

Axe Man
29-08-2022, 05:40 PM
Dogs mid set to play in do-or-die clash (https://www.afl.com.au/news/832360/live-blog-big-swan-offered-three-match-ban-for-crude-hit-on-young-dee)

Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith is expected to face Fremantle in Saturday night's do-or-die elimination final despite training away from the main group in recent sessions.

The gun midfielder was on light duties at Dogs training on Monday and didn't train with the main squad at their last session last Friday.

However the club expects him to face the Dockers, with Wednesday's session set to be a key one for Smith who will be a crucial part of the Bulldogs' hopes of heading to Optus Stadium for another elimination final win.

Smith was central to the Dogs' push from an elimination final last year through to the Grand Final, with the 21-year-old averaging 24 disposals and two goals in last year's finals series.

He has played 16 games this season after enjoying a career-best first half of the year prior to his off-field suspension.

The Dogs could head into the Freo clash unchanged, with the club having a relatively fit list with Jason Johannisen and Hayden Crozier expected to be available after their respective ankle complaints.

Coach Luke Beveridge has flipped around the magnets in his backline at stages this year, but ended the season with Ryan Gardner, Zaine Cordy and youngster Sam Darcy as his key position backmen. - Cal Twomey

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 06:10 PM

By what metric?

hujsh
29-08-2022, 06:17 PM
Another 6 games, he kicked only one goal. Let's exclude the game where he did his elbow, there are 9 games out of 19 where he has kicked one goal or less. He is also a low possession forward. He does not do a lot more with his possessions than take shots at goal.

I wonder which Cody we will get this Saturday night? The guy who only gets a few possessions but kicks multiple goals or the guy who only gets a few possessions and doesn't bother the scoreboard either. I also think he is hot and cold with his pressure acts, some games he is a terrier, others you just don't see him doing any of that much.

Pickett is 10/21.

I suspect it's pretty common for forwards who aren't the key focus to be a bit feast or famine.

Axe Man
29-08-2022, 06:23 PM

You are excluding the game where he kicked 5? Is this some sort of Josh Bruce rule? ;)

I assume you mean his return game where he pretty much didn't touch it. You could probably argue he took 2 or 3 games to return to something like his normal self.

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 06:25 PM
You are excluding the game where he kicked 5? Is this some sort of Josh Bruce rule? ;)

I assume you mean his return game where he pretty much didn't touch it. You could probably argue he took 2 or 3 games to return to something like his normal self.

He's had some very very ordinary games and survived the chop.

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 06:47 PM
Yeah he's a gun. He's still got work to do, but players that can actually win games don't just come along.

I don't care about the Pickett/Weightman argument. They're both really good, but they're not the same style of player so they don't really compare.

I'm happy with him as he is. I don't think he could/should reinvent himself. If we want a crumbing forward we should recruit one to play alongside him.

Madness

Yes he's not comparable with Pickett.

Fritsch, Elliot type.

I really like Cody, I do have some concerns that he's that in between type but he seems to make it work.

bornadog
29-08-2022, 06:48 PM
By what metric?

Not yours :D

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 06:57 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3vR9SBbFhakc6zmg/giphy.gif

Axe Man
29-08-2022, 07:08 PM
By what metric?

Funnily enough Cody and McNeil average about the same for pressure acts this season.

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 07:19 PM
Funnily enough Cody and McNeil average about the same for pressure acts this season.

Universally known as a beyond useless metric.

F'scary
29-08-2022, 08:20 PM
Pickett is 10/21.

I suspect it's pretty common for forwards who aren't the key focus to be a bit feast or famine.

Fair enough, perhaps I am expecting too much...

F'scary
29-08-2022, 08:22 PM

One has an elite skill set including taking an overhead mark. The other one is McNeil.

jeemak
29-08-2022, 08:36 PM
I almost think Schache would play the same role as good if not better.

I mean what is the role?

Lead mark forward with questionable pressure acts. Shit.

Stop trying to trigger me.

Bullies
29-08-2022, 08:39 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/q7wPz8Bp/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/) West would have to come into consideration. Those conditions would suit him.

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 08:41 PM
Stop trying to trigger me.

What about this :

https://i.postimg.cc/j2Mnky3f/Screenshot-20220829-193650-AFL.jpg (https://postimg.cc/bS2vZShY) https://i.postimg.cc/0jkJfVnx/Screenshot-20220829-193819-AFL.jpg (https://postimg.cc/62P36LF1)

jeemak
29-08-2022, 08:57 PM
What about this :

https://i.postimg.cc/j2Mnky3f/Screenshot-20220829-193650-AFL.jpg (https://postimg.cc/bS2vZShY) https://i.postimg.cc/0jkJfVnx/Screenshot-20220829-193819-AFL.jpg (https://postimg.cc/62P36LF1)

Thanks.

Cody averages 0.6 contested marks a game, Pickett 0.1 a game.

They each average 1.8 goals a game which for their respective ages is excellent going.

I think Cody would do more to stay involved in games, and possibly focusing on the impact he can have when he doesn't have the ball and also being a bit better on the ground ball are a means of doing so.

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 09:13 PM
Thanks.

They each average 1.8 goals a game which for their respective ages is excellent going.

I think Cody would do more to stay involved in games, and possibly focusing on the impact he can have when he doesn't have the ball and also being a bit better on the ground ball are a means of doing so.

I love how 0.9 ground ball gets a game is the diff bw below and above average.

jeemak
29-08-2022, 09:15 PM
I love how 0.9 ground ball gets a game is the diff bw below and above average.

What is the league average?

kruder
29-08-2022, 09:25 PM
Any idea of what is wrong with Smith?

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 09:27 PM
What is the league average?

91.2 /team

Check out this site its pretty good.

https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_stats.html

azabob
29-08-2022, 09:46 PM
Any idea of what is wrong with Smith?

That caught my eye also.
Gone under the radar hasn’t it?

Grantysghost
29-08-2022, 09:50 PM
That caught my eye also.
Gone under the radar hasn’t it?

Training away from the group is a little cryptic.

Considering his battles in the past it does make you question if it's non injury related.

Hope he's OK.

azabob
29-08-2022, 10:01 PM

Considering his battles in the past it does make you question if it's non injury related.

Hope he's OK.

Unfortunately that is were my mind went also.

Bulldog Joe
29-08-2022, 10:27 PM

He does excel with his pressure even when he is not getting the ball.

Schache is not even in that postcode.

F'scary
29-08-2022, 10:34 PM

oops, you are correct, I was looking for the reason for near clean sheet game that followed. I wasn't implying that he only got 5 goals because he is a flat track bully who only turns it on against the bottom sides or anything.;)

F'scary
29-08-2022, 10:39 PM

Hope he's OK.

what? training alone so he can go fishing when no-one is watching?

hujsh
29-08-2022, 10:49 PM
Thanks.

Not just for their age. Near 40 goals as a small forward has to be in the elite category. Especially for Weightman given our team has been nowhere near as good as the Dees

Bulldog4life
30-08-2022, 10:23 AM

Hope he's OK.

It is injury related. Was on Fox Footy news last night. Dogs pretty open about it.

azabob
30-08-2022, 10:51 AM
It is injury related. Was on Fox Footy news last night. Dogs pretty open about it.

Did they say what type of injury?

jeemak
30-08-2022, 11:15 AM

I have just read he was rested over the weekend, should be fine to play.

Given he trained at the club and just away from the main group I'm not too concerned about it being mental health related and if it is, then it's good he's able to attend the club still.

azabob
30-08-2022, 11:33 AM
I have just read he was rested over the weekend, should be fine to play.

Given he trained at the club and just away from the main group I'm not too concerned about it being mental health related and if it is, then it's good he's able to attend the club still.

Thanks jeemak.

I love your half glass full approach compared to my half glass empty approach. That is what I'm going to work on for the rest of the year and during the off season.

Bulldog4life
30-08-2022, 11:43 AM

No just showed him with a fitness staff doing slow run throughs

Bulldog4life
30-08-2022, 11:44 AM
Appeared to be thigh related as he was touching it

Grantysghost
30-08-2022, 11:59 AM
Thanks jeemak.

I love your half glass full approach compared to my half glass empty approach. That is what I'm going to work on for the rest of the year and during the off season.

Does anyone actually fill a glass?

You wouldn't be able to carry it with out spillage.

Therefore it's always closer to half empty.

My services are available to all who need some inspiration.

Or..

Now Ive thought for more than 5 seconds, if the glass itself has half its rated volume then you've taken less than half and it's more than half full.

Then again if we are just visually looking at the glass we may not be taken into account the taper or the magnification, or the pressure of the atmosphere.

I'll talk to someone at work and see if we can setup an experiment.

Actually : https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/1-min-glass-half-empty-full-scientific-response-chang-liu-

BornInDroopSt'54
30-08-2022, 01:36 PM
Does anyone actually fill a glass?

You wouldn't be able to carry it with out spillage.

Therefore it's always closer to half empty.

My services are available to all who need some inspiration.

Or..

Now Ive thought for more than 5 seconds, if the glass itself has half its rated volume then you've taken less than half and it's more than half full.

Then again if we are just visually looking at the glass we may not be taken into account the taper or the magnification, or the pressure of the atmosphere.

I'll talk to someone at work and see if we can setup an experiment.

Actually : https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/1-min-glass-half-empty-full-scientific-response-chang-liu-

A claret glass also should be considered. Less likely to spill with its negative gradient and more in it than you thought there was.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2022, 02:36 PM
Bulldogs’ predicted 22

B: Richards, Gardner, Keath

HB: Daniel, Darcy, Dale

C: Macrae, Liberatore, B.Smith

HF: Johannisen, Naughton, Dunkley

F: Weightman, Ugle-Hagan, Schache

FOLL: English, Bontempelli, Treloar

I/C: Duryea, Hunter, Williams, R.Smith

IN: Johannisen, Schache, Keath

OUT: Vandermeer, Bruce, Cordy

Team Tips: The Dogs are virtually at full strength and have had a settled line-up in recent weeks. But Luke Beveridge loves to throw the magnets around, so we’re forecasting a few changes. Jason Johannisen (ankle) replaces Laitham Vandermeer irrespective of the forward suffering a minor knee issue last week, while Josh Bruce has struggled to make an impact upon returning from his ACL injury — opening the door for Josh Schache, who’s booted 17 goals from his last three VFL games, to come in. Hayden Crozier is also pushing to return from his own ankle issue, but the likes of Roarke Smith and Lachie Hunter, who’d been out of favour, played well against Hawthorn. Stefan Martin and Tim O’Brien are also waiting in the wings and could come in instead of Keath or Schache.

Link: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-finals-2022-teams-predicted-lineups-for-week-1-finals-selection-ins-and-outs-injuries-fixture-news/news-story/3ea7f8932f5d63a42ee4d36e3963758d

bornadog
30-08-2022, 03:26 PM
Stef Martin is cooked - retire now

azabob
30-08-2022, 04:37 PM
IN: JJ, Scott

OUT: Bruce, VDM, (McComb)

SUB: Garcia

We need skillful players and pace more so than height this weekend.

Assuming Johannisen is fit he is an upgrade on Vandermeer. JJ adds a bit of class and pace in the forward 50.

Scott has versatility can play wing or forward and has good foot skills.

Bruce out is self explanatory and Vandermeer is quick but is messy with his disposal.

Garcia's contested game suits being a medical sub and won't need a quarter or two to warm into the game like VDM might.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2022, 04:50 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: E. Richards, A. Keath, Z. Cordy

HB: C. Daniel, R. Gardner, B. Dale

C: J. Macrae, T. Liberatore, B. Smith

HF: L. Hunter, A. Naughton, J. Dunkley

F: C. Weightman, J. Ugle-Hagan, S. Darcy

R: T.English, M. Bontempelli, A. Treloar

Int: T. Duryea, J. Johannisen, B. Williams, R. Smith, R. West

IN: J. Johannisen, R. West, A. Keath

OUT: R. McComb (omitted), L. Vandermeer (omitted), J. Bruce (omitted)

MATCH committee at Whitten Oval is typically the toughest to predict. The Bulldogs could easily enter unchanged. Or they could load up with Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen, Rhylee West and Alex Keath. Suspect JJ or West might start as the substitute instead of Robbie McComb, who wore the vest in round 23. The dilemma is what to do with Josh Bruce. Bruce started forward against Hawthorn. But Sam Darcy was thrown into attack in the second quarter and swung the match. So does Darcy take Bruce’s spot in front of the sticks and then Alex Keath replace Darcy in defence, where he started that day? Or is Zaine Cordy vulnerable? And do the Dogs need to play Keath, Cordy and Ryan Gardner, given Matthew Taberner is unlikely to return from injury? Roarke Smith might appear a fringe player, but he was influential against the Hawks - Smith polled four votes from the coaches - and is certain to stay.

-Sam Landsberger

Link: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-week-one-finals-predicted-teams-full-selection-news-and-expert-tips/news-story/84c91eece8406d2fcdfa0b63456497ae?amp

(Sam's mail at the Bulldogs is normally not too far off the mark.)

Bulldog Joe
30-08-2022, 06:01 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: E. Richards, A. Keath, Z. Cordy

HB: C. Daniel, R. Gardner, B. Dale

C: J. Macrae, T. Liberatore, B. Smith

HF: L. Hunter, A. Naughton, J. Dunkley

F: C. Weightman, J. Ugle-Hagan, S. Darcy

R: T.English, M. Bontempelli, A. Treloar

Int: T. Duryea, J. Johannisen, B. Williams, R. Smith, R. West

IN: J. Johannisen, R. West, A. Keath

OUT: R. McComb (omitted), L. Vandermeer (omitted), J. Bruce (omitted)

MATCH committee at Whitten Oval is typically the toughest to predict. The Bulldogs could easily enter unchanged. Or they could load up with Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen, Rhylee West and Alex Keath. Suspect JJ or West might start as the substitute instead of Robbie McComb, who wore the vest in round 23. The dilemma is what to do with Josh Bruce. Bruce started forward against Hawthorn. But Sam Darcy was thrown into attack in the second quarter and swung the match. So does Darcy take Bruce’s spot in front of the sticks and then Alex Keath replace Darcy in defence, where he started that day? Or is Zaine Cordy vulnerable? And do the Dogs need to play Keath, Cordy and Ryan Gardner, given Matthew Taberner is unlikely to return from injury? Roarke Smith might appear a fringe player, but he was influential against the Hawks - Smith polled four votes from the coaches - and is certain to stay.

-Sam Landsberger

Link: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-week-one-finals-predicted-teams-full-selection-news-and-expert-tips/news-story/84c91eece8406d2fcdfa0b63456497ae?amp

(Sam's mail at the Bulldogs is normally not too far off the mark.)

I would be pretty happy with that as the selected side.

1eyedog
30-08-2022, 06:08 PM
Lachie Hunter said that Bailey has some groin soreness and was walking laps of the pool on Monday when the main group was training at Port. My daughter asked him when he was signing her footy after training. Don't worry all the girls were asking all the players where Bailey was.

bornadog
30-08-2022, 06:20 PM
Lachie Hunter said that Bailey has some groin soreness and was walking laps of the pool on Monday when the main group was training at Port. My daughter asked him when he was signing her footy after training. Don't worry all the girls were asking all the players where Bailey was.

Hope he is right to go

DOG GOD
30-08-2022, 06:21 PM
I would be pretty happy with that as the selected side.

So would I, but would Bevo ?

MrMahatma
30-08-2022, 10:42 PM
Bevo mentioned on AFL360 Smith had a load related injury and should be fine.

1eyedog
30-08-2022, 10:43 PM
Hope he is right to go

We really need him.

GVGjr
31-08-2022, 09:18 AM
Just noticed this

Sam Edmund
@Sammy__Edmund
·
A real blow for the Western Bulldogs with Tom Liberatore now in major doubt for the elimination final with a hamstring injury. Fyfe ruled out yesterday and now Libba in strife with his own hamstring issue. Cruel game at times. Liberatore had played every game this year.

The Underdog
31-08-2022, 09:24 AM
Just noticed this

Sam Edmund
@Sammy__Edmund
·
A real blow for the Western Bulldogs with Tom Liberatore now in major doubt for the elimination final with a hamstring injury. Fyfe ruled out yesterday and now Libba in strife with his own hamstring issue. Cruel game at times. Liberatore had played every game this year.

That is….not great. Does West come in as a forward who can take a few midfield rotations?

Scorlibo
31-08-2022, 09:25 AM
Just noticed this

Sam Edmund
@Sammy__Edmund
·

Devastating. If there's one player we could least afford to miss in a final it would be Libba

angelopetraglia
31-08-2022, 09:42 AM
Bevo just confirmed in the presser. Libba will not make the trip to Perth and will be in doubt after that if we were to progress.

DISASTER.

Grantysghost
31-08-2022, 09:45 AM
Dunks might have one special series left for us.

I'm backing him, he's ready.

Real shame for Tom.

Garcia in for me, even McLean. .

GVGjr
31-08-2022, 09:46 AM
Bevo just confirmed in the presser. Libba will not make the trip to Perth and will be in doubt after that if we were to progress.

DISASTER.

West should come into calculations now but there is no easy replacement for someone like Liberatore.

Happy Days
31-08-2022, 09:47 AM
Horrendous news. Libba’s been easily our best player this year.

kruder
31-08-2022, 09:55 AM
I reckon we will play Mcomb or Scott.

Happy Days
31-08-2022, 09:57 AM
From the presser sounds like McLean. Bevo had to really think to come up with West and Garcia as alternates.