PDA

View Full Version : Willy report

hujsh
29-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Werribee Tigers 1.4 5.7 7.10 10.13 (73)
Williamstown 8.6 13.10 16.13 19.15 (129)

GOALS:
Werribee Tigers: Obst 4 Davies Riggio Eddy Gleeson Rockefeller Podsiadly
Williamstown: Urch 5 Grant 4 Tiller Cloke Lyons Lockwood O'Keefe Skipper Picken Jolley Rose Stretton

BEST:
Werribee Tigers: Ross Warren Henderson Eddy Podsiadly Obst
Williamstown: Jolley Urch Street Johnson Meyer Cloke

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Werribee Tigers: B. Warren for bumping or making forceful contact to P. O'Shea
Williamstown: Charging M. Rockefeller

Grant with 4= awesome

Go_Dogs
29-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Grant with 4= awesome

Yes good news to see that he kicked a few. I gather no one would have made it out today - wonder if there will be any decent reports posted on the Dogs site this year?

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Good to see we are keeping Rockefeller close to our chest. IIRC he was rated around draft time last year or the year before and it will be interesting to watch his development during the season.

Also good to hear that Grant kicked 4. Although he musnt have done much else if he didnt get in the bests with 4.

Bulldog4life
29-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I posted this on another inferior site guys :)

Unfortunately Willy are only on television....before the finals of course ...twice this season. The first time next Saturday 5th April. Looking forward to watching it...after we beat the Saints!

hujsh
29-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I posted this on another inferior site guys :)

Unfortunately Willy are only on television....before the finals of course ...twice this season. The first time next Saturday 5th April. Looking forward to watching it...after we beat the Saints!

hmmmm:o

I'm still pumped about Grant though:D

Scorlibo
30-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Thats great news about Grant kicking four, so happy, and of course the win is also fantastic.:)

hujsh
30-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Thats great news about Grant kicking four, so happy, and of course the win is also fantastic.:)

I actually don't care about the win if it means our players perform well even if the team isn't doing well.

eg Can Grant kick goals when they don't win by 60 points?

Scorlibo
30-03-2008, 02:05 AM
eg Can Grant kick goals when they don't win by 60 points?

V true but exciting none the less that he kicked four when Urch, the highest goalkicker, kicked 5 and Tiller, Skipper got just one. Hopefully Jarrad can back it up next week and give some consistent performances over the next few weeks.

bornadog
30-03-2008, 03:53 PM
I wonder how McDougall performed, we may need another tall against the Saints.

BulldogBelle
30-03-2008, 05:09 PM

l think you might be right.

We will need the height, hopefully he is playing OK

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 07:59 PM

How about we play our game and let worry about us? We aren't going to win the game if we turn the ball over as we have done against the Saints a number of times in the past 3 years.
We could have 6 tall defenders but if we aren't winning the ball in midfield it wouldn't make a difference.
Most important is a replacement runner for Higgins.

Mantis
30-03-2008, 09:39 PM
How about we play our game and let worry about us? We aren't going to win the game if we turn the ball over as we have done against the Saints a number of times in the past 3 years.
We could have 6 tall defenders but if we aren't winning the ball in midfield it wouldn't make a difference.
Most important is a replacement runner for Higgins.

Fair enough Ernie, but they line up with Gehrig, Riewoldt and Kosi up forward. I think we need to trust that Lake, Morris and Wight can do the job, but if that fails we have no flexibility.

Sockeye Salmon
30-03-2008, 09:46 PM
We need Ben Harrison to stitch up Reiwoldt.

Dancin' Douggy
30-03-2008, 10:39 PM

I remember that game very well. Riewoldt would have torn Harrison apart but for some reason none of the Saints players kicked it to him. In history it goes down as a win to Harrison but from the stands it was the first time I realised what a great player Riewoldt is. If St. Kilda had honoured Riewoldts leads that day he would Have Kicked 10 goals. Harrison couldn't keep up with him. Riewoldt lead strong hard and fast to the right spot every time but for some reason the Saints midfielders just ignored him.:confused:

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Otherwise we make him cry or get a guy from city link as a tunnel expert in for week as a consultant.
Fair dinkum the club did him no favours.

hujsh
30-03-2008, 11:35 PM
I remember that game very well. Riewoldt would have torn Harrison apart but for some reason none of the Saints players kicked it to him. In history it goes down as a win to Harrison but from the stands it was the first time I realised what a great player Riewoldt is. If St. Kilda had honoured Riewoldts leads that day he would Have Kicked 10 goals. Harrison couldn't keep up with him. Riewoldt lead strong hard and fast to the right spot every time but for some reason the Saints midfielders just ignored him.:confused:

He'd really need to beat someone badly to kick 10.

He'd need about 20-30 shots

bornadog
30-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Fair enough Ernie, but they line up with Gehrig, Riewoldt and Kosi up forward. I think we need to trust that Lake, Morris and Wight can do the job, but if that fails we have no flexibility.

Exactly my point. In last years draw we had Williams and I thought he did a reasonable job, but the first meeting, we got killed when we only had Lake, Morris, Wight and Hargrave to battle it out with the Saints tall forward line. As usual, Hargrave and Morris had to play on bigger opponents, and I really don't think it works.

Mofra
30-03-2008, 11:44 PM

There is one single back-up - Hargrave to Riewoldt. Yes Roo has height & strength on his side, but Hargrave broke him in 04 at the G, and knows every legal dirty tactic in the book to bring anyone down to his level. Will be an important 3rd man up in the defensive 150.

The Coon Dog
30-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Will be an important 3rd man up in the defensive 150.

Can anyone tell me why they paint one end green & the other end red?

hujsh
31-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Can anyone tell me why they paint one end green & the other end red?

Aren't they blue and red?

becmatty
31-03-2008, 05:32 AM
Eagleton will come in for Higgins, and absolutely, as Mantis comments - it would be a massive risk not to bring in another key defender this week. McDougall must return to the side regardless of his form for Willy (though, can someone please tell us how he went on the weekend). Callan is the likely (unlucky) player to make way for him, though Acker is pretty sore and may miss this week.

We will be stretched this week to cover the saints and if one of Lake, Wight, Hargreave or Morris went down, then we would have no choice than to send Welsh or even Hudson back there. McDougall is handy and in my opinion, at least an equal to Wight.

Skipper returns to Willy this week also and will be a good understudy if we get desperate later in the season. But, this really highlights the importance of Williams' fitness and our light stocks in the key player department...

Go Doggies!

Sockeye Salmon
31-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Eagleton will come in for Higgins, and absolutely, as Mantis comments - it would be a massive risk not to bring in another key defender this week. McDougall must return to the side regardless of his form for Willy (though, can someone please tell us how he went on the weekend). Callan is the likely (unlucky) player to make way for him, though Acker is pretty sore and may miss this week.

We will be stretched this week to cover the saints and if one of Lake, Wight, Hargreave or Morris went down, then we would have no choice than to send Welsh or even Hudson back there. McDougall is handy and in my opinion, at least an equal to Wight.

Skipper returns to Willy this week also and will be a good understudy if we get desperate later in the season. But, this really highlights the importance of Williams' fitness and our light stocks in the key player department...

Go Doggies!

Skipper played on the weekend (and I think he also played in the last practice match)

Sockeye Salmon
31-03-2008, 10:46 AM

They all kicked to him but no-one could hit him. They kicked it at his feet, over his head, 5 metres to each side - anywhere but somewhere he could mark it.

Dancin' Douggy
31-03-2008, 10:48 AM
He'd really need to beat someone badly to kick 10.

He'd need about 20-30 shots

Yup. That would about do it........;)

GVGjr
31-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Skipper played on the weekend (and I think he also played in the last practice match)

Yes he played in the game against the Casey Scorpions.

He must have copped an injury against Werribee.

dogman
01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Just found this report on the Seaguls Website. Some great signs with Grant. So Doogs has been injured. And also great to see Easton Wood for his first game and be named in the best, maybe we have found a real smokey.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10459-0-0&sID=54954&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=5256431&sectionID=54954

Williamstown opened its 2008 campaign with a convincing 56 point win over Western Suburbs rivals Werribee at Bartercard Oval on Saturday.

Andrew McDougall was a late withdrawal with a back complaint but should return this week. Williamstown debuted two teenagers in Nathan Lyons and Mitchell Keddell whilst Ben Jolley, Callum Urch and Jason Cloke played their first VFL games as a Willi listed player. Young Western Bulldogs draftees Callan Ward, Jarrad Grant and Guy O'Keefe played their first official VFL game.

First Quarter

Williamstown opened the game in blistering form as the midfield took advantage of Peter Street's ruck dominance to kick four goals in the first 7 minutes of the game. Jason Cloke, Callum Urch, Jarrad Grant and Stephen Tiller were prominent up forward. Williamstown's defence was rock solid although Werribee Captain James Podsiadly kicked his sides only major for the quarter. Nathan Lyons, Cameron Lockwood and Wayde Skipper all provided further impetus off the bench as Coach Brad Gotch utilised all of his players.

¼ Time: Williamstown 8.6 (54) Werribee 1.4 (10)

Second Quarter

Williamstown continued its dominance early in the second quarter as its tackling was clearly rattling its Werribee opponents. Ben Jolley was outstanding in the middle of the ground and young Bulldogs Jarrad Harbrow, Callan Ward and Guy O'Keefe were prominent. Up back Scott Meyer, Adam Cook, Paul O'Shea and James Beaumont were providing plenty of rebound out of defence. Werribee were able to find a marking forward with Alan Obst kicking a couple of goals but Willi extended its lead to 51 points at the main break.

1/2 time: Williamstown 13.10 (88) Werribee 5.7 (37)

Third Quarter

The third quarter begun with the threatening skies finally bursting open with torrential rain and hail lashing the ground. The changing conditions certainly evened up the contest as the game became a slog. Cameron Lockwood was reported for charging and the resultant melee seemed to give Werribee a boost. Captain Brett Johnson was gathering many possessions and Liam Picken, Patrick Rose and David Stretton were prominent.

¾ Time: Williamstown 16.13 (109) Werribee 7.8 (50)

Fourth Quarter

The final quarter begun with Liam Picken hurt after a clash of heads and he was carried from the ground. Urch and Grant continued their dominance up forward whilst Cloke controlled the backline. Peter Street continued his dominance and the Seagulls midfield continued to dominate the game. Werribee kicked a couple of consolation goals but the result was never in doubt after the first quarter onslaught.

Final Scores: Williamstown 19.15 (119) Werribee 10.13 (73)

Goalkickers- Urch 5, Grant 4, Rose 1, Jolley 1, Skipper 1, Picken 1, Stretton 1, Lockwood 1, O'Keefe 1, Cloke 1, Tiller 1, Lyons 1

Best Players - Jolley, Urch, Street, Johnson, Cloke, Meyer

Reserves Wrap

Williamstown obliterated Werribee at Reserves level by 112 points in a practice game.

Josh Young was prominent for the Seagulls throughout the midfield picking up touches at will and using his foot skills to great effect. Dean Galea was a force up forward after missing the Seniors game through a one week suspension. Timmy Jenkins was dangerous around the packs as was Anthony Chiu. Sam Toulmin, Nathan Black, Mick Tanner and Matthew Cravino were solid in defence. Murray Boyd and Brant Dickson provided marking targets around the ground. Easton Wood played his first game after his Shoulder Reconstruction, Brennan Stack and James Mulligan also returned from injury. Jarrad Boumann, Sam Reid and Henry White also played in the match.

Williamstown 7.5 16.12 18.14 19.16 (130)

Werribee 1.2 1.2 1.2 2.6 (18)

Goalkickers: Galea 4, Jenkins 3, Dickson 2, Boumann 2, Wood 2, Boyd 1, Reid 1, Cravino 1, Mulligan 1, Young 1, Knight 1

Best Players: Young, Galea, Wood, Toulmin, Black

Go_Dogs
01-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the report dogman.

Sockeye Salmon
01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
That's a lot better report than the Werribee one's.

"xxxxx played a very good game despite not actually touching the ball."