PDA

View Full Version : Clash Jumper

The Coon Dog
29-03-2008, 09:21 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/479/footscray2007clash1112fe5.gif

I was sitting on L2 behind the goals in the Ponsford Stand. There were many Doggies fans there, but what really struck me was just how many kids were wearing the clash jumper!

aker39
29-03-2008, 09:24 PM
and Melbourne is certainly one team that we should be wearing it against.

I like it. I have been big on the AFL pushing harder to bring in clash jumpers, and the dogs are one team that has got it right.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 09:37 PM
I like it but i get the feeling we usually dont play as well when we wear it.
Could be just because we play away more often when we wear it.

The Coon Dog
29-03-2008, 09:47 PM
I like it but i get the feeling we usually dont play as well when we wear it.
Could be just because we play away more often when we wear it.

We did today, tho my OP was more about the number of them seemingly being sold.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Gee Baz for a minute then i thought you were going to reveal next years design :)

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 10:15 PM
We did today, tho my OP was more about the number of them seemingly being sold.

I think you will find that kids like to have something bright and different.
Seems to be the trend:P

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2008, 11:57 PM
It's a simple but very effective design. They really got the look right with this one, it's one of the best looking jumpers IMO. Actually wouldn't mind one myself.

Sockeye Salmon
30-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Why do they have to be predominantly white? All the teams look the same. People from other clubs, codes or interstate don't know who they're watching. Is it just for TV? I don't know what the fuss is about. We didn't have them for many years and I never heard of people getting their teams mixed up. It's probably been discussed somewhere here before but I'm new to the forum. Can someone explain this?

The obvious reason is because most teams have dark(ish) colours and white gives the best contrast.

I love our clash strip and I think proper clash strips should be compulsory, even for minor jumper clashes.

BulldogBelle
30-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I think you will find that kids like to have something bright and different.
Seems to be the trend:P

l think your on the money here.

My son HAD to have one, he loves it.

Also good money spinner for the club because you need the home jumper as well!!

1eyedog
30-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I didn't like it at first but it has grown on me. I like the traditional design of the red and blue stripes.

Bulldog Revolution
30-03-2008, 01:48 PM
I think its a very good clash jumper - its far better than some of the white gear north have worn all over the year

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah i dont mind this jumper either, although i like it more in photos and hanging up in the shop(well hopefully there arnt many there, hopefully people have brought them) rather than game day, i mean i think its one of the best ones we've had, but yeah.

bornadog
30-03-2008, 03:48 PM
The absolute truth, I can't stand the clash jumper. With the white shorts its too much white.

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 03:53 PM
The absolute truth, I can't stand the clash jumper. With the white shorts its too much white.

Thats the point though

bornadog
30-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Thats the point though yes and it looks horrible, doesn't look like the dogs. The jumper needs the red and blue stripe to be even wider

ledge
30-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I always was impressed by the jumper i have on my avatar, it was originally a central districts one in Adelaide which i saw when i went over and watched a freind play for them many years ago in the Cowboy Neale coaching days.

katemeehan
30-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I hated it at first, gottena it sued to it, but I still much prefer the blue. So much nicer than some other teams clash jumpers!

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Dislike it with a passion. We look like like wusses in it. Much prefer the intensity and life that the blue brings. There is something regal about the blue...makes the players look strong and tough, whereas the white just makes us look insipid. JMHO.

katemeehan
30-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Dislike it with a passion. We look like like wusses in it. Much prefer the intensity and life that the blue brings. There is something regal about the blue...makes the players look strong and tough, whereas the white just makes us look insipid. JMHO.

Yeah I agree with the part bout them looking like wusses! White does that so easily. with the whole 'white flag' look about it.
I dont think Ill ever buy a clash jumper. im perfectly happy in my RED white & BLUE

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 06:34 PM
the 'blue' (regular) jumper is the best of course, blue is a great colour stands out. we have the best jumper in the competition, white sucks............but as far as the AFL and their rules go that we 'have' to have a clash jumper that apparently 'has' to be mostly white.........we have the best clash jumper in the comp too its a simple design, not like hawthorns with the crappy hawk down the front and the brisbane lions clash jumper etc

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 07:53 PM
the brisbane lions clash jumper etc

The one with wee stains across the bottom.

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 10:57 PM
The kids do love it - I've got my two putting the pressure on.

Wouldn't have been much good in the good old days when we played real footy on real waterlogged / muddy grounds. Then again sometimes trying to work out who was who from just a few yards away was difficult on some days.

mjp
31-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Blue Jumper. Red strip. White stripe. No collar.

Keep the FFC on the back. Sack the 'bulldog' face thing - it looks stupid.

I know we need some kind of clash guernsey, but I hate the white one. I still think for a clash with Melbourne (the most obvious one), if we wore blue with the two stripes - including a much bigger than normal white stripe as the top stripe - the clash as it is would not be an issue at all.

If I had any of TCD's ability I would draw it up.

aker39
31-03-2008, 03:16 PM
The whole idea of the clash jumper is to avoid a clash of colors.

We have certainly clashed with Melbourne in the past.

On Saturday there was absolutely no clash.

The people that designed the clash jumper should be congratulated. They have acheived the purpose, not to clash with similar colors. And the best way to acheive that was to have a white base.

End of story.

mjp
31-03-2008, 03:38 PM

The people that designed the clash jumper should be congratulated. They have acheived the purpose, not to clash with similar colors. And the best way to acheive that was to have a white base.

End of story.

No reason we have to wear such a horrible looking jumper. Using a white base was the EASIEST way to remove the clash - who is to say it was the BEST way?

Brisbane, Freo and ourselves have all gone 'White' as a clash - and they all look shocking. Perhaps the same people designed all of them and simply re-used the first design they came up with and charged the same 'design' fee?

Our jumper doesn't clash with too many others - Melbourne. Maybe West Coast (blue). Who else? We wear that white abomination at least half a dozen times a year...if it was a true 'clash' jumper, why would we do this? It isn't. The main reason for having the jumper is for marketing purposes, and that is that.

As an aside, I agree with the whole idea of clash jumpers and think that every side should have them. I just hate the way our one looks.

aker39
31-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I also think we clash with Freo.

My point is, with this white jumper, we don't even come close to clashing with any other team.

If there is any hint of a clash, then I say wear it, but I agree with your point about only wearing it for clashes. I was pissed off last year when we wore it against Richmond.

The Coon Dog
31-03-2008, 04:10 PM
The main reason for having the jumper is for marketing purposes, and that is that.

This was what I think my OP alluded to, it seems to be working.

The Bulldogs Shop are roughly selling a similar number of each jumper to kids.

aker39
31-03-2008, 04:18 PM
So it's achieved two purposes.

It solves any of our clashes, and it's a good seller.

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 04:27 PM

End of story.

You forgot to mention how good the the bulldog face looks!

Dry Rot
31-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm in the really hate the clash jumper camp. I dunno why, but I really don't enjoy watching us play in it.

Maybe because I live in Swans country - had a gutful of mostly white jumpers.

Rocket Science
31-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Sack the 'bulldog' face thing - it looks stupid.

This has always irked me and I couldn't agree more...It might appeal to 8 year olds but for the rest of us it's silly in the extreme and cheapens both the jumper and the club's broader identity...banish the bloody thing for good.

As for the clash jumper, while they're a necessary evil of sorts I have a philosophical problem with white being the predominant colour in any aussie rules uniform..it's just not kosher, and while I'm probably just projecting, frankly we look soft in them.

Why not make red the base colour?

GVGjr
31-03-2008, 07:17 PM
This has always irked me and I couldn't agree more...It might appeal to 8 year olds but for the rest of us it's silly in the extreme and cheapens both the jumper and the club's broader identity...banish the bloody thing for good.

As for the clash jumper, while they're a necessary evil of sorts I have a philosophical problem with white being the predominant colour in any aussie rules uniform..it's just not kosher, and while I'm probably just projecting, frankly we look soft in them.

Why not make red the base colour?

I have just about given up on the clash jumpers but I can live with the bulldog emblem on the jumper even though I see no real value in it however the white jumper does nothing for me. I agree it looks sickly and weak. The Central Districts jumper looks like a good alternative to me.

mjp
31-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Don't mind it GVGjr - kind of what I envisaged in my post before...if blue remains the base and a big white stripe goes at the top followed by some blue then a red strip...there will be no clash with Melbourne.

GVGjr
31-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Don't mind it GVGjr - kind of what I envisaged in my post before...if blue remains the base and a big white stripe goes at the top followed by some blue then a red strip...there will be no clash with Melbourne.

What are the three teams we are supposed to clash with?
Melbourne, Freo and ?????

My guess is a design like the Central Districts one will be sufficiently different and more easily identfied by our fans with our normal design.

By the way there was one of the heritage jumpers from a few seasons back that I thought was a good alternative as well.

Sockeye Salmon
31-03-2008, 09:50 PM
What are the three teams we are supposed to clash with?
Melbourne, Freo and ?????

My guess is a design like the Central Districts one will be sufficiently different and more easily identfied by our fans with our normal design.

By the way there was one of the heritage jumpers from a few seasons back that I thought was a good alternative as well.

The purpose of a clash jumper is to be different. Not a little bit different, that defeats the purpose, but properly different.

I love it and would like to see us wear it against Melbourne, Freo, West Coast and Adelaide.

Hell, I'd even like to see it against Brisbane, Carlton and Essendon. I'd even like to see all of our games against North with us wearing white and North in their blue and silver.

All clubs should have two jumpers with the biggest difference being worn.

bornadog
01-04-2008, 12:09 AM
The purpose of a clash jumper is to be different. Not a little bit different, that defeats the purpose, but properly different.

I love it and would like to see us wear it against Melbourne, Freo, West Coast and Adelaide.

Hell, I'd even like to see it against Brisbane, Carlton and Essendon. I'd even like to see all of our games against North with us wearing white and North in their blue and silver.

All clubs should have two jumpers with the biggest difference being worn.

I don't think we are saying that we shouldn't have a clash jumper, its the predominant white combined with white shorts that just looks so bad.

Dogs 24/7
01-04-2008, 12:16 AM
I don't think we are saying that we shouldn't have a clash jumper, its the predominant white combined with white shorts that just looks so bad.

We need a clash jumper because it is the right thing to do but who says it has to be that different. It's about providing player and team clarity to the supporters and while the white colour does that I'm sure something else more traditional would as well.

Rocket Science
09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Further to this:

Clash is not for cash

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/fanforce/index.php/heraldsun/comments/clash_is_not_for_cash

No mention of the Dogs specifically, but Greg Swann strikes a chord therein with his take on the Blues' clash jumper;

“I don’t care what they say, we’re not wearing it any more (after Round 5),” Swann said. “We are the Navy Blues, not the Insipid Whites,” he said.

Hear hear!...and might thee take heed Dogs heirarchy.

Mantis
09-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Further to this:

Clash is not for cash

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/fanforce/index.php/heraldsun/comments/clash_is_not_for_cash

No mention of the Dogs specifically, but Greg Swann strikes a chord therein with his take on the Blues' clash jumper;

“I don’t care what they say, we’re not wearing it any more (after Round 5),” Swann said. “We are the Navy Blues, not the Insipid Whites,” he said.

Hear hear!...and might thee take heed Dogs heirarchy.

He got the insipid part right.

And I disagree with you on this one. Clash jumpers make for easier viewing for the fans and our's is very distinguishable which is the sole purpose.

GVGjr
09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
He got the insipid part right.

And I disagree with you on this one. Clash jumpers make for easier viewing for the fans and our's is very distinguishable which is the sole purpose.

But it doesn't have to be the white strip either. I'd still prefer something like the Central Districts jumper.

Rocket Science
09-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Fair enough, they may well fulfil the "distinguishable" criteria, but they fail the taste test for mine.

Our uniform is a key plank of our identity...might as well stick em in fluoro orange if the sole purpose is to avoid confusion...they make the chaps look like they're out for a leisurely spot of tennis.

Debonaire?...sure.

Dogs?...not a chance.

The Coon Dog
09-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Fair enough, they may well fulfil the "distinguishable" criteria, but they fail the taste test for mine.

Our uniform is a key plank of our identity...might as well stick em in fluoro orange if the sole purpose is to avoid confusion...they make the chaps look like they're out for a leisurely spot of tennis.

Debonaire?...sure.

Dogs?...not a chance.

Don't disagree at all, furthermore, it wouldn't worry me. Seems alot of people get bent out of shape if there's any suggestion about changing colours. As long as it's the team I support, they could play in flouro orange for all I care. Agree with Mantis too about the distinguishable bit. Again, works for me.

gohardorgohome
10-04-2008, 09:10 AM
It is just OK for a clash jumper. Use it for away games against Freo, Melbourne and West Coast. I love out Blue jumper. It looks great and we should wear it whenever we can.

BulldogBelle
10-04-2008, 09:15 PM
White Clash jumper is very popular with younger supporters. I don't mind it at all. The centrals jumper looks like some sort of coloured candy.

MikeSheahan
11-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Whether you like clash jumpers or not, there here to stay. I personally like them, and the Bullies have got theirs right. Only the Freo jumper is the better clash guernsey in my opinion, but your jumper is a close second. Some shockers though, include Port, Crows and Brisbane. If the kids are wearing them, then they must be good.

LostDoggy
12-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Whether you like clash jumpers or not, there here to stay. I personally like them, and the Bullies have got theirs right. Only the Freo jumper is the better clash guernsey in my opinion, but your jumper is a close second. Some shockers though, include Port, Crows and Brisbane. If the kids are wearing them, then they must be good.

The issue is not if we should have a clash jumper its about what it should look like.
The current one is weak and doesn't represent the club as well as it should.
I don't think just because children are wearing the jumper is an indication of it is represents the club well.

LostDoggy
13-04-2008, 09:08 PM
The issue is not if we should have a clash jumper its about what it should look like.
The current one is weak and doesn't represent the club as well as it should.

How doesn't it represent the club? Its red, white and blue, has a bulldog on it and it was issued by the club.
Its not the blue one but its not suppose to be.

LostDoggy
13-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Even though I prefer the blue jumper, I do not see what some people have against it. It looks good and it resembles our real jumper, unlike a lot of other clubs clash jumpers, that look nothing like their original jumpers. The Bulldogs clush jumper is one of the best in the AFL.

LostDoggy
15-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah I agree with the part bout them looking like wusses! White does that so easily. with the whole 'white flag' look about it.
I dont think Ill ever buy a clash jumper. im perfectly happy in my RED white & BLUE

White makes teams look like wusses? :rolleyes:

Soccer/Hockey: West Germany/Germany (scary, scary team for a long time), Real Madrid, the Magical Magyars (Hungary 1950s), Holland (alternate strip, with orange trim), Italy (alternate strip, blue trim)...

Basketball: Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls (alternate strip), Utah Jazz, Yugoslavia, Russia...

Did the West Indian fast bowlers look like wusses in their whites in the Tests in the 80s and early 90s?

I'm missing out on a whole lot of teams here, but just trying to maybe give a different perspective on our alternate strip?

---

ps. okay, agreed that the English soccer team look like wusses

pps. there are studies that show a very high proportion of successful teams whose primary colour is actually RED. Also, a team in red has something like a 70% higher probability (based on historical precedent) of winning in a final against a non-red team. There are many different theories on why this is the case (historical coincidence that some of the stronger teams in the history of world sport -- Manchester United, Arsenal, AC Milan, Chicago Bulls, Essendon etc. -- happen to be red, rather than any psychological advantage etc etc... -- the most successful international team in the history of world sport happens to wear a yellow strip, in any case).. just thought this was interesting as we were talking about jumper colours.

GVGjr
15-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Did you happen to see the Lions jumper on the weekend? Shocking

The Underdog
15-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Did you happen to see the Lions jumper on the weekend? Shocking

Yeah but that's more about the design than anything, majority white with yellow and blue shading? Why they were wearing it is a mystery. At what point do they clash with Port?
Anyway I've got no problem with our clash jumper, it's logical and retains the basic elements of our standard jumper. Maybe white isn't overly menacing but I'd say we've won in it as much as we've lost so I don't think it's the thing holding us back from a premiership. It actually looks pretty good in night games, especially at the G. Don't ask me why?

Sockeye Salmon
15-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Soccer/Hockey: West Germany/Germany (scary, scary team for a long time), Real Madrid, the Magical Magyars (Hungary 1950s), Holland (alternate strip, with orange trim), Italy (alternate strip, blue trim)...

Basketball: Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls (alternate strip), Utah Jazz, Yugoslavia, Russia...

Did the West Indian fast bowlers look like wusses in their whites in the Tests in the 80s and early 90s?

I'm missing out on a whole lot of teams here, but just trying to maybe give a different perspective on our alternate strip?

---

ps. okay, agreed that the English soccer team look like wusses

pps. there are studies that show a very high proportion of successful teams whose primary colour is actually RED. Also, a team in red has something like a 70% higher probability (based on historical precedent) of winning in a final against a non-red team. There are many different theories on why this is the case (historical coincidence that some of the stronger teams in the history of world sport -- Manchester United, Arsenal, AC Milan, Chicago Bulls, Essendon etc. -- happen to be red, rather than any psychological advantage etc etc... -- the most successful international team in the history of world sport happens to wear a yellow strip, in any case).. just thought this was interesting as we were talking about jumper colours.

??? The St. Kilda Pura Milk jumper from a few years back?

ledge
15-04-2008, 08:58 PM
So if we change to red white and yellow we are improving our chances to win a premiership?? im all for it!!

mighty_west
16-04-2008, 08:27 PM
But it doesn't have to be the white strip either. I'd still prefer something like the Central Districts jumper.

I also love the Centrals jumper, but that would make it too similar to theirs, and the white jumper does make it so much easier to see from a distance when watching two similar jumpers - ie Melbourne, Freo etc.

It's a bit like that pre-season jumper from the 70's, white with the red & blue stripes running down, and makes our players look bigger imo.

I like it.

ledge
16-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I still would like my avatar one

SonofScray
16-04-2008, 11:34 PM

IMO that'd be a terrific jumper design should they deviate from the current clash jumper. It reminds me of Lyon's strip, very distinctive.

LostDoggy
17-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I can not remember us playing in that jumper, when did we wear it?

gohardorgohome
17-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I can not remember us playing in that jumper, when did we wear it?

It would have been in the night series when Ian Dunstan and Alan Stoneham played. about 1979. I like it too.

ledge
17-04-2008, 07:40 PM
It would have been in the night series when Ian Dunstan and Alan Stoneham played. about 1979. I like it too.

Gee will you people stop making me look old!!
Thats Coon Dogs job

The Coon Dog
21-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Funny thing happened on the weekend in the EPL. Aston Villa hosted West Ham. Both sides wear claret & blue.

Because the game was played at Villa Park, West Ham had to wear their away strip, which was predominantly light blue.

Referee Rob Styles thought they still looked similar to Villa's home kit & ordered West Ham to wear another strip. The Hammers unfortunately had only brought the one kit with them so the ref decided that Villa would have to change.

Now, Villa's away strip looked more like West Ham's away kit!

The ref then ordered Villa to wear their 3rd all white strip. To enable the game to commence on time Villa officials had to 'borrow' the shirts (minus sponsors logo & players names) which they wore until half time, which by then the club shop had hastily arranged to have them appropriately kitted out for the second half, complete with sponsors logo & players names.

If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable.

craigsahibee
21-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Funny thing happened on the weekend in the EPL. Aston Villa hosted West Ham. Both sides wear claret & blue.

Because the game was played at Villa Park, West Ham had to wear their away strip, which was predominantly light blue.

Referee Rob Styles thought they still looked similar to Villa's home kit & ordered West Ham to wear another strip. The Hammers unfortunately had only brought the one kit with them so the ref decided that Villa would have to change.

Now, Villa's away strip looked more like West Ham's away kit!

The ref then ordered Villa to wear their 3rd all white strip. To enable the game to commence on time Villa officials had to 'borrow' the shirts (minus sponsors logo & players names) which they wore until half time, which by then the club shop had hastily arranged to have them appropriately kitted out for the second half, complete with sponsors logo & players names.

I have one of those horrendous grey strips that Man Utd wore against Southampton at "The Dell" back in 95/96. The players complained of not being able to pick each other out from the background of the crowd and they changed to a blue and white strip at half time.

aker39
21-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I saw some footage of that game TCD and was wondering why Aston Villa were wearing white as the home team.

I thought West Ham must have paid them off like Collingwood do to North.

Sockeye Salmon
21-04-2009, 12:48 PM

They still handle it more professionally than the AFL do.

I don't see Newcastle using a 'white with black stripes' away strip.

bornadog
21-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Still hate our clash jumper, this obsession by the AFL, with using predominantly white is ridiculous.

The Coon Dog
21-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Still hate our clash jumper, this obsession by the AFL, with using predominantly white is ridiculous.

No it's not. It serves a very useful purpose, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's ridiculous.

The Pie Man
21-04-2009, 02:27 PM
One thing I noticed on the weekend - West Coast wore their Blue/White/Yellow St Kilda style strip and we wore our clash. Whenever WC play us in Melbourne, that's the exact jumper they play us in (and they got fined for wearing their older mainly royal blue jumper that they wore in the two GF's vs Sydney in one game, so they won't be wearing that against us again)

So my question is....why did we have to wear a clash jumper? West Coast won't be wearing a predominantly white strip when they play us in Melbourne.

I personally don't like our clash strip, but it does the job of creating sufficient contrast - I still like the stripes down one side that's part of TCD's avatar.

Oh and TCD, I also noticed the Villa/West Ham circus, that was bizarre.

craigsahibee
21-04-2009, 02:45 PM
One thing I noticed on the weekend - West Coast wore their Blue/White/Yellow St Kilda style strip and we wore our clash. Whenever WC play us in Melbourne, that's the exact jumper they play us in (and they got fined for wearing their older mainly royal blue jumper that they wore in the two GF's vs Sydney in one game, so they won't be wearing that against us again)

So my question is....why did we have to wear a clash jumper? West Coast won't be wearing a predominantly white strip when they play us in Melbourne.

I personally don't like our clash strip, but it does the job of creating sufficient contrast - I still like the stripes down one side that's part of TCD's avatar.

Oh and TCD, I also noticed the Villa/West Ham circus, that was bizarre.

The heat in Perth may have been the reason for the white strip. We have worn it on one occasion in Darwin when we were the "home" team.

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 03:01 PM
The heat in Perth may have been the reason for the white strip. We have worn it on one occasion in Darwin when we were the "home" team.

Now that would be a bizarre reason.

It would also explain why Germany always make it to the finals of every other tournament they play.

But not why England are so $hite.

Sockeye Salmon
21-04-2009, 06:04 PM

Clash jumpers are fantastic and ours is the best in the league. Love it.

I wish the AFL would grow some goulies and force every club to have them.

AndrewP6
21-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Prefer the traditional blue...but I do like the clash strip. I think every team should have to design one. INCLUDING Eddie Everywhere's Magpies...white with black stripes or black with white stripes doesn't cut it. I like ours. I think what Port wore on the weekend looked awful. Don't even know if it was the home or clash guernsey. Just looked terrible.

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 07:20 PM
What about the new Swans jersey? I couldn't believe what i was seeing, but it grew on me. Really retro.. probably a bit TOO simple at the end of the day...

LostDoggy
21-04-2009, 07:32 PM
How bad is Port Power's away strip?

ledge
21-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I have one of those horrendous grey strips that Man Utd wore against Southampton at "The Dell" back in 95/96. The players complained of not being able to pick each other out from the background of the crowd and they changed to a blue and white strip at half time.

And what a fantastic day that was, what was the score again , care to remind me?

azabob
21-04-2009, 07:39 PM
What about the new Swans jersey? I couldn't believe what i was seeing, but it grew on me. Really retro.. probably a bit TOO simple at the end of the day...

Ah Lantern Retro is an understatement. It was the jersey South Melbourne wore when the beat Carlton in the 1909 Grand Final.
Or have I missed your sarcasim????

craigsahibee
21-04-2009, 08:50 PM
And what a fantastic day that was, what was the score again , care to remind me?

Ledge, I think the damage had already been done by half time IIRC. The world's first Wardrobe Malfunction, long before Janet at the Superbowl.

It's a shame to see the SAINTS in the predicament they are in now. Matt Le Tissier was one of my favourite players. Had a cracking shot on him.

craigsahibee
21-04-2009, 09:04 PM
The Dell - 13th April 1996

SOUTHAMPTON 3
Monkou (11)
Shipperley (23)
Le Tissier (43)

MANCHESTER UNITED 1
Giggs (89)

Can't believe it was 13 years ago already.

bornadog
22-04-2009, 12:18 AM
No it's not. It serves a very useful purpose, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's ridiculous.

True I don't like it but what I am saying is the AFL has forced every one to use predominantly white, so I find that ridiculous. Have a look at the EPL and see all the colours they use.

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2009, 01:12 AM
How bad is Port Power's away strip?

It's all about the white socks :). Sales of that hideous combo aren't going to solve their financial problems.