PDA

View Full Version : Operation get Toby Geene

ReLoad
06-10-2022, 05:02 AM
I get that I’m about to be hauled to every cricket net in the state and have the tripe pummelled out of me but…..

Can you imagine a small forward of his calibre at the feet of our big forwards?

He’s getable. On the table. Available.

Let’s turn dunks into him.

If he played for us this year we Would have won 4-6 more games.

I’m not suggesting that we rush out and put his number on our duffel coats, but the guys a gun. An annoying a$$hole, but a gun.

SlimPickens
06-10-2022, 06:06 AM
100% behind this. In the conversation for best player in the league when he’s up and about. Superstar which would make us immediately better.

ReLoad
06-10-2022, 07:52 AM
So I thought I’d make an in person plea;

https://youtu.be/1qVQQh54o5A

jazzadogs
06-10-2022, 08:39 AM
I see your point, he is talented...but the thought of that Grub in a Dogs jumper makes me sick.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2022, 09:37 AM
No doubt he's a great player and would make us a better football team on field, but I think his character flaws would make us a worse football club overall.

Its a non starter for me and I recognise I'm, probably in the minority with that. It's an awesome conversation to be had though ReLoad. Nice work. I look forward to reading the respective viewpoints of poster's on this.

angelopetraglia
06-10-2022, 09:40 AM
I don't think this is a likely scenario.

But if Toby was to become a Bulldog. I would forgive all previous wrongdoings and worship at the altar of Toby Greene. One of those players you would hate playing against but love in your team. An absolute freak and an ability to create goals from nothing. He would solve massive issues for our forward line.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 09:40 AM

Hahaaaaa gold! The nets even gets a mention.

I think post of the year has a new leader.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 09:44 AM
Mentioning the Yarraville Nets got me.

Other than that, *!*!*!*! Toby Greene. Unless he ends up playing for us.

Mofra
06-10-2022, 09:45 AM
I can't see any senior GWS player coming to the Bulldogs.
If you're a small forward, why would you? We don't value them, we never draft them.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 09:46 AM
No issues for me, one of the best players in the league and off field he seems well liked and is a club leader.

He's done some average stuff on field which makes me think Bevo wouldn't entertain it though.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2022, 10:14 AM
If anyone on here says no to getting Greene, I demand a session in the nets.

If there's any possibility, I'd hope we are calling him on the hour, every hour.

Bulldog Joe
06-10-2022, 10:15 AM
I don't see how it is in anyway plausible.

1. How could we afford his salary
2. Bont would surely veto.

EasternWest
06-10-2022, 10:17 AM

This is one of the greatest things ever posted to this board.

I feel dirty but yes I would take him.

bornadog
06-10-2022, 10:31 AM
Just a reminder of the character of this bloke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJAk3pSCcZk

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 10:31 AM
"Love ya."

Gold.

Topdog
06-10-2022, 10:32 AM
If anyone on here says no to getting Greene, I demand a session in the nets.

If there's any possibility, I'd hope we are calling him on the hour, every hour.

I counter this with anyone wanting Greene has to have a session with him in the nets.

Axe Man
06-10-2022, 10:33 AM
“Toby Greene’s name came up today, the star Giant. I think several clubs are of the view he’s a bit frustrated that Hopper and Taranto have both gone, or will go, to the Tigers,” Tom Browne said.

However Browne immediately followed that up with: “I've checked with sources directly aligned to Greene tonight, there’s no prospect of a trade, there’s no prospect of a trade for Greene this period.

“He’s got four years to run on a deal worth north of a million dollars a year, he’s also the Giants' coveted co-captain.”

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/giants-superstar-one-of-three-named-in-shock-trade-reports-amid-salary-cap-drama/news-story/df70438523eb33f336d744b4bd5b0d34)

EasternWest
06-10-2022, 10:43 AM
Just a reminder of the character of this bloke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJAk3pSCcZk

Shrug.

Most on this board and more broadly in Bulldog supportership welcomed Barry Hall with open arms.

You know, "Have a bit of lick" Hall?

Also unquestionably we'd already have a number of dickheads and ratbags at our club. It's inevitable. I'm not a fan of ratbags and dickheads as a general rule, but they're here to stay.

Happy Days
06-10-2022, 11:09 AM
Greene is awesome, and should be everyone’s favourite player once you accept that life isn’t fair and bad things happen to bad people. I’d trade a lot to get him but it seems like a waste of time.

Daughter of the West
06-10-2022, 11:19 AM
“Toby Greene’s name came up today, the star Giant. I think several clubs are of the view he’s a bit frustrated that Hopper and Taranto have both gone, or will go, to the Tigers,” Tom Browne said.

However Browne immediately followed that up with: “I've checked with sources directly aligned to Greene tonight, there’s no prospect of a trade, there’s no prospect of a trade for Greene this period.

“He’s got four years to run on a deal worth north of a million dollars a year, he’s also the Giants' coveted co-captain.”

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/giants-superstar-one-of-three-named-in-shock-trade-reports-amid-salary-cap-drama/news-story/df70438523eb33f336d744b4bd5b0d34)

*Checks notes* Griff was our Captain at the time he headed up that way…

Love your video work by the way Reload! ;)

Food for thought. Personally, I’m not sure I could stomach that food though.

The bulldog tragician
06-10-2022, 11:45 AM
Perhaps it’s irrational and it seems I’m in a minority. I can’t unsee the scratches on Bont’s face or forget the violent history of this guy. My connection with the club would die a little if I ever saw him in our colours.

bornadog
06-10-2022, 11:55 AM
Perhaps it’s irrational and it seems I’m in a minority. I can’t unsee the scratches on Bont’s face or forget the violent history of this guy. My connection with the club would die a little if I ever saw him in our colours.

BT, I am with you. His violence is unforgiveable and I don't understand the AFL and other supporters forgiving him due to his football talent.

#nodickheadpolicy

EasternWest
06-10-2022, 12:18 PM
BT, I am with you. His violence is unforgiveable and I don't understand the AFL and other supporters forgiving him due to his football talent.

#nodickheadpolicy

Were you ok with Barry Hall who actually knocked someone put cold, behind play, on the football field?

jeemak
06-10-2022, 12:30 PM
Were you ok with Barry Hall who actually knocked someone put cold, behind play, on the football field?

I'd like to think that we're a bit different in the way we view the world and sport in 2022 than we were in 2010. I assume you've evolved a bit as well over that time?

bornadog
06-10-2022, 12:30 PM

We had this discussion before and I showed you posts where I was against recruiting him.

Stevo
06-10-2022, 12:39 PM
We had this discussion before and I showed you posts where I was against recruiting him.
What were the specific reasons?

hujsh
06-10-2022, 12:45 PM
BAD with the reciepts

bornadog
06-10-2022, 12:49 PM
What were the specific reasons?

At the time, it was his age, and being a thug. However, he turned out ok kicking 80 goals in one year.

Greene is different. He has a criminal record for hitting a bouncer and making his life miserable and several on field discretions, with scratching the shit out of Bont's face, punching Caleb in the head, kicking Dahl in the face to name a few against us.

EasternWest
06-10-2022, 12:54 PM
I'd like to think that we're a bit different in the way we view the world and sport in 2022 than we were in 2010. I assume you've evolved a bit as well over that time?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

If it's a dig at me, then yeah I've definitely evolved. I didn't want Barry Hall but i was ambivalent about it. Historically I have hated Greene but I'd be fine with recruiting him because I want to win. We've already got Bailey Smith who's clearly on a road to knobness (albeit of a different variety), we've got Lachie Hunter. We've forgiven Libba his trespasses. We've got the "tennis balls in iso" scenario.

I still find these attributes off putting (although I've also made my feelings about recreational drug use clear as well), but it's clear there's no real moral high ground, we're just as chequered as other clubs, so let's just win.

Damn I do remember that. I hate when I have to admit you're right.

BAD with the reciepts

That's a snack down.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

If it's a dig at me, then yeah I've definitely evolved. I didn't want Barry Hall but i was ambivalent about it. Historically I have hated Greene but I'd be fine with recruiting him because I want to win. We've already got Bailey Smith who's clearly on a road to knobness (albeit of a different variety), we've got Lachie Hunter. We've forgiven Libba his trespasses. We've got the "tennis balls in iso" scenario.

It's not a dig at you, I can see how you thought it was due to the wording - apologies.

I just think at this point we collectively may have evolved beyond recruiting players on that basis when we know what type of people they are up front. That we know Greene molested and gouged one of our own, kicked another in the face, while punching one other who was much smaller in appalling opportunistic acts then we probably just don't need to take him on board. When we also think about how he puts himself before his team and misses key games because of it then again, I don't think we need to take him on.

The issues with our existing players are partially ours to own and manage. There's a difference between those and taking on someone like Greene.

EasternWest
06-10-2022, 01:31 PM
It's not a dig at you, I can see how you thought it was due to the wording - apologies.

I just think at this point we collectively may have evolved beyond recruiting players on that basis when we know what type of people they are up front. That we know Greene molested and gouged one of our own, kicked another in the face, while punching one other who was much smaller in appalling opportunistic acts then we probably just don't need to take him on board. When we also think about how he puts himself before his team and misses key games because of it then again, I don't think we need to take him on.

The issues with our existing players are partially ours to own and manage. There's a difference between those and taking on someone like Greene.

Fair enough, see your point.

I guess I'm thinking we've got dickheads anyway might as well get one who's also a match winner. But I don't disagree with the crux of what you said.

soupman
06-10-2022, 01:39 PM
No thanks. Genuinely amazing player, might even be the best player in the league at times, but has done some revolting things on field including many against us and while i think he is not irredeemable i think that's a tough road to put yourself and our supporters on.

Please don't put too much effort into this hypothetical, it's never gonna happen.

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2022, 01:45 PM
Great thread ReLoad! Stirs the emotions and evokes plenty of freedom of expression.

is there a current player that Bulldog supporters dislike more than Toby Greene? I doubt it. Who would be the Top 10?

EasternWest
06-10-2022, 02:00 PM
Great thread ReLoad! Stirs the emotions and evokes plenty of freedom of expression.

is there a current player that Bulldog supporters dislike more than Toby Greene? I doubt it. Who would be the Top 10?

GREAT conversation topic. I love it.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 02:29 PM

Dangerfield. He's crap and obnoxious.

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2022, 02:47 PM
Surely Stephen May is in top 10.

bornadog
06-10-2022, 02:51 PM
Damn I do remember that. I hate when I have to admit you're right.

Noted :D

jazzadogs
06-10-2022, 05:17 PM

Might start a 'Top 10 Biggest Flogs' thread later.

Bailey Fritsch should be sweating.

Twodogs
06-10-2022, 08:00 PM
Might start a 'Top 10 Biggest Flogs' thread later.

Bailey Fritsch should be sweating.

I saw Bailey Fritsch in a supermarket the other day. If it wasn't him then it was a bloke who'd gone out of his way to look exactly like him including the haircut and Melbourne sponsor's gear.* It was only 100 metres from Yarraville nets too.

*I couldn't work out why he'd be in a supermarket in Yarraville either.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 08:13 PM
I saw Bailey Fritsch in a supermarket the other day. If it wasn't him then it was a bloke who'd gone out of his way to look exactly like him including the haircut and Melbourne sponsor's gear.* It was only 100 metres from Yarraville nets too.

*I couldn't work out why he'd be in a supermarket in Yarraville either.

Clear sign gentrification has gone too far!

josie
06-10-2022, 10:30 PM

Greene numero uno by a loooong stretch

Some others that annoy me:
K.Pickett
Cameron
Whitfield

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 10:45 PM
I think TG is destined to live a long life of regret for not jumping ship and chasing money and premierships at a real club like his smarter former teammates. All the best with that TG. I hope the moral posturing, admittedly worse by Phil Davis, makes up for the being of nothing other than a pile of cash and being a former footballer that most people in NSW would still have no idea about.

SonofScray
06-10-2022, 11:02 PM
Banned.

boydogs
07-10-2022, 12:56 AM
Barry Hall and Toby Greene are completely different. Barry had a temper. Toby intentionally agitates

EasternWest
07-10-2022, 08:14 AM
Barry Hall and Toby Greene are completely different. Barry had a temper. Toby intentionally agitates

Deleted

Topdog
07-10-2022, 08:33 AM
Deleted

Hall is very far from a Saint but is also well above Toby Greene as a human.

EasternWest
07-10-2022, 08:51 AM

I deleted my comment because I couldn't believe I've descended into defending one big piece of swill over another.

Bulldog Joe
07-10-2022, 09:33 AM

Well Barry did start off his AFL career as a Saint, just not a well behaved one.

bornadog
07-10-2022, 10:37 AM

Hall was reported 17 times

Greene to date -22

GVGjr
07-10-2022, 10:48 AM

Greene to date -22

Awful reflection on both of them.

Grantysghost
07-10-2022, 10:56 AM

Greene to date -22

Crikey - that's just terrible. Both pretty ordinary. Except that one time Barry got Scott Thompson in a headlock and then elbowed every North player in the head coming off the ground. That was ok.

hujsh
07-10-2022, 11:05 AM
For the most part Hall seemed to mature with his on field behaviour with the one Scott Thompson exception IIRC.

Not sure Green has shown that change yet

EasternWest
07-10-2022, 12:06 PM
For the most part Hall seemed to mature with his on field behaviour with the one Scott Thompson exception IIRC.

Not sure Green has shown that change yet

Sure, though I'll refer you to the "have a lick" statement made in his well retired years.

Still a dickhead.

Though in his defense it could be argued throttling Scott Thompson is actually a community service.

hujsh
07-10-2022, 12:24 PM
Sure, though I'll refer you to the "have a lick" statement made in his well retired years.

Still a dickhead.

Though in his defense it could be argued throttling Scott Thompson is actually a community service.

I knew there was probably something post footy that he did that was dickheadish. Just couldn't remember what