PDA

View Full Version : I hate the trade period.

mjp
11-10-2022, 01:29 PM
That's the thread.

Every day sucks. In fact, every day is worse than the one before. And somehow I can't stop looking at what is happening and who is doing what (well - with regards the Dunkley/Lobb trades, I could care less about the other clubs) seventeen times every hour. So I guess the AFL have their way (by having everyone's attention).

This whole thing is rubbish. I just want to support my team and watch the games but it sucks you into a vortex of nothingness and the amount of thought I have given to an average ruck-forward (Lobb) and a 5th choice midfielder (sorry - prob doesn't help the trade request but Bont, Liber, Macrae, Treloar, DUNKLEY, Smith is my order) is simply ridiculous.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 01:33 PM
It's more like watching war coverage than reality TV

jeemak
11-10-2022, 01:38 PM
I tune out.

Only get my updates from here and it's so much better for the mental health.

josie
11-10-2022, 01:55 PM
I truly think power is the man for the job and I trust him to do the best by the club for longer term with Dunkley and Lobb trades (and whether they happen or not).

I’m more worried about our fringe players being kept on list longer than they should be hence us not turning over the list enough.

Also a little concerned we are unable to adequately fill roles we’ve been trying to fill for years with makeshift/sub-standard players and no depth when a player like Keath falls off a cliff or no replacement groomed to fill in well for an aging Duryea and no crumbing forwards, a slow midfield and makeshift wingers who are slow or poor disposers. These gaps have been around for years. I’m thinking we have not been proactive enough. Surely there are some reasonable VFL or state based players who would be worth a try (like we did with Adams).

hujsh
11-10-2022, 02:06 PM
I tune out.

Only get my updates from here and it's so much better for the mental health.

I think I would unalive myself in Minecraft if I had to listen to those trade radio ads for more than 5 seconds in a day

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2022, 02:16 PM
That's the thread.

Every day sucks. In fact, every day is worse than the one before. And somehow I can't stop looking at what is happening and who is doing what (well - with regards the Dunkley/Lobb trades, I could care less about the other clubs) seventeen times every hour. So I guess the AFL have their way (by having everyone's attention).

This whole thing is rubbish. I just want to support my team and watch the games but it sucks you into a vortex of nothingness and the amount of thought I have given to an average ruck-forward (Lobb) and a 5th choice midfielder (sorry - prob doesn't help the trade request but Bont, Liber, Macrae, Treloar, DUNKLEY, Smith is my order) is simply ridiculous.

Yes - couldnt agree more, its carcrash stuff - hate it, but cant ignore it, drives me mad - cant wait for it to be over

Dunkley has definitely contributed to that, and exacerbated those feelings - to the point, I dont care if we let him go to the preseason draft

Sedat
11-10-2022, 02:18 PM
Trade week peaked with the ultimate lose-lose trade of Shannon Gibson for Paul Sharkey. The only winner of that trade was the supplier of the fax paper.

MrMahatma
11-10-2022, 02:25 PM
***Refresh***

Mofra
11-10-2022, 02:27 PM
It's like putting your tongue on a 9 volt battery.
It sucks but I just can't tune out.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 02:41 PM
It's like putting your tongue on a 9 volt battery.
It sucks but I just can't tune out.

Same here. Have trade radio running in the background while I try to work. I have ordered two Reem Hot water units as well :D

Daughter of the West
11-10-2022, 02:44 PM
It's sucking bandwidth that I don't have. I should be studying for a mid semester test THAT IS OCCURING IN CLASS ON PAPER WHERE I ACTUALLY HAVE TO WRITE WITH A PENCIL LIKE IN THE DAYS BEFORE COVID AND I'M FREAKING OUT but instead I'm hitting refresh on Woof.

1eyedog
11-10-2022, 09:06 PM
Look I agree re Dunkley. He's not quick, he's ok above his head without being great and he's an ordinary kick, let's face it we never really know where it's going there's a fair bit of hope in there. He's a great pressure player and is consistent but this is the easiest skill set to train. We've already half trained Toby McLean in this role pre-ACLs.

Dunkley made our mids look good this year but our core mids really had a down year. Macrae uncharacteristically in and out of form, Bont hampered and Smith suspended etc.

Dunkley won't be greatly missed and out of all our midfielders is the one we can afford to lose. He's actually quite limited.

Brisbane know it and it's why they're not ponying up. They like him and he will make them better but he's a far cry from their best player or even their top 5 best players.

Let's just grab some some decent picks and move on.

Eastdog
11-10-2022, 09:13 PM
My brother (Pies fan) updates me throughout the day when I’m at work when an actual trade is confirmed officially so like those updates from him and also come onto woof daily but yeah the whole thing is a wankfest.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 09:17 PM
Look I agree re Dunkley. He's not quick, he's ok above his head without being great and he's an ordinary kick, let's face it we never really know where it's going there's a fair bit of hope in there. He's a great pressure player and is consistent but this is the easiest skill set to train. We've already half trained Toby McLean in this role pre-ACLs.

Dunkley made our mids look good this year but our core mids really had a down year. Macrae uncharacteristically in and out of form, Bont hampered and Smith suspended etc.

Dunkley won't be greatly missed and out of all our midfielders is the one we can afford to lose. He's actually quite limited.

Brisbane know it and it's why they're not ponying up. They like him and he will make them better but he's a far cry from their best player or even their top 5 best players.

Let's just grab some some decent picks and move on.

Let's be real. Dunkley out leaves us with 5 a-grade mids. It means less time forward (or defence) for Treloar, Smith and Bont and no time watching Macrae sooking on a wing.

If we need to replace the best asset Dunkley brought (defensive pressure) that can be replaced with better buy in and more responsive set ups at stoppages (thanks Lade). There's a reason a trade Dunkley thread was started. We can lose him and theoretically be better balanced and better performing without replacing him.

jazzadogs
11-10-2022, 11:40 PM
Let's be real. Dunkley out leaves us with 5 a-grade mids. It means less time forward (or defence) for Treloar, Smith and Bont and no time watching Macrae sooking on a wing.

If we need to replace the best asset Dunkley brought (defensive pressure) that can be replaced with better buy in and more responsive set ups at stoppages (thanks Lade). There's a reason a trade Dunkley thread was started. We can lose him and theoretically be better balanced and better performing without replacing him.

hujsh is jeemak confirmed.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 11:43 PM

I'm all of WOOF. I'm just putting on an elaborate play for your benefit

jeemak
11-10-2022, 11:44 PM

Ha....Only 230 odd pages and people are finally coming around to the idea!

The Doctor
12-10-2022, 01:26 AM
I love the trade period!

It's like a silly soap opera with lots of drama, twists and turns and you can't wait to find out what happens next. Whether we admit it or not most of us are glued to the screen.

I've especially enjoyed it since Sam Power took over. When J-Mac was in charge I watched with trepidation that we were going to get screwed. But with Sam it's different. He is an intellect with a double degree in law and commerce. A practiced lawyer now with plenty of football admin experience. He took down Dodoro because he doesn't play the man he plays the ball. He doesn't fear his opponent as he is most likely a lot smarter. If he says Dunkley can go to the PSD he means it. He will fight for what is fair for us because that's in his training and I can't see him capitulating (like J-Mac on the Hopper deal). Compromise probably, Capitulate unlikely.

My opinion is that we probably over trade when we should invest more in the draft. I don't see the point in trading for middle of the road types and have been critical of the club for many years for doing this. Some supporters just want a trade done so that it looks like we are doing something, anything. I don't subscribe to that.

But whatever we do during trade time I can't wait to find out what happens next.

jeemak
12-10-2022, 02:39 AM
I love the trade period!

It's like a silly soap opera with lots of drama, twists and turns and you can't wait to find out what happens next. Whether we admit it or not most of us are glued to the screen.

I've especially enjoyed it since Sam Power took over. When J-Mac was in charge I watched with trepidation that we were going to get screwed. But with Sam it's different. He is an intellect with a double degree in law and commerce. A practiced lawyer now with plenty of football admin experience. He took down Dodoro because he doesn't play the man he plays the ball. He doesn't fear his opponent as he is most likely a lot smarter. If he says Dunkley can go to the PSD he means it. He will fight for what is fair for us because that's in his training and I can't see him capitulating (like J-Mac on the Hopper deal). Compromise probably, Capitulate unlikely.

My opinion is that we probably over trade when we should invest more in the draft. I don't see the point in trading for middle of the road types and have been critical of the club for many years for doing this. Some supporters just want a trade done so that it looks like we are doing something, anything. I don't subscribe to that.

But whatever we do during trade time I can't wait to find out what happens next.

I imagine due to his background Sam would feel really hamstrung going into the different meetings and having to put up with idiots who have no training in how to negotiate properly, like he would have received during his training at law firms.

The consulting firm I work with has a property arm, and they're smart enough but the key differentiator between them and the average person in business is they enjoy HEAPS of training in the finer arts of negotiation and how to put a deal together (or they did before we get them on our books). Any hint of unprofessionalism or time wasting is batted away almost to the point where it's gone from their consciousness and they move onto the next thing. It's actually amazing to watch in action.

People who have gone through specific types of contract law also enjoy that type of development.

The footy industry is full of footy people, and they just don't have the pedigree. This commentary isn't meant to disparage them, rather, just point out the difference between the game Power is playing versus those he's coming up against. He must really love footy, because if he didn't it'd all give him the absolute shits.

What we're seeing with Brisbane is a case in point. They can do one on one trades just fine, but they have bitten off a shit tonne this trade period when it comes to needs and wants and it's affecting the way they are engaging. They have behaved like hacks.

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 03:42 AM
The Lions guy is a real estate person isn’t he, or a business graduate or something I heard.

Probably not a complete idiot, but I’m happy to run with it too!

jeemak
12-10-2022, 03:59 AM
The Lions guy is a real estate person isn’t he, or a business graduate or something I heard.

Just talking about my experience to be honest.

azabob
12-10-2022, 07:44 AM

He's actually an ex bulldog recruiter.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 08:34 AM
He's actually an ex bulldog recruiter.

Yes, he and Clayton joined GC at the start and didn't they do well there with all those early picks?

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 09:27 AM
Just talking about my experience to be honest.

Made a lot of sense. Some of this stuff does feel like amateur hour, and as most have alluded to that first offer was actually insulting which I’ve come to realise was pretty poor form.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2022, 09:44 AM
And just to put an exclamation post on this thread - the AFL stage manages the announcements of trades between 3-7.30pm

bornadog
12-10-2022, 10:00 AM
I imagine due to his background Sam would feel really hamstrung going into the different meetings and having to put up with idiots who have no training in how to negotiate properly, like he would have received during his training at law firms.

The consulting firm I work with has a property arm, and they're smart enough but the key differentiator between them and the average person in business is they enjoy HEAPS of training in the finer arts of negotiation and how to put a deal together (or they did before we get them on our books). Any hint of unprofessionalism or time wasting is batted away almost to the point where it's gone from their consciousness and they move onto the next thing. It's actually amazing to watch in action.

People who have gone through specific types of contract law also enjoy that type of development.

The footy industry is full of footy people, and they just don't have the pedigree. This commentary isn't meant to disparage them, rather, just point out the difference between the game Power is playing versus those he's coming up against. He must really love footy, because if he didn't it'd all give him the absolute shits.

What we're seeing with Brisbane is a case in point. They can do one on one trades just fine, but they have bitten off a shit tonne this trade period when it comes to needs and wants and it's affecting the way they are engaging. They have behaved like hacks.

Here is a video on negotiation

https://youtu.be/paeQkMFcP3E

mjp
12-10-2022, 10:32 AM

I couldn't like this comment enough. When you trade for players who aren't getting a game, guess what...they aren't going to get a game.

Murphy'sLore
12-10-2022, 11:25 AM
Today is the last day, though, right? Then the agony is over for another year...

Please tell me today is the last day.

mjp
12-10-2022, 11:26 AM
Today is the last day, though, right? Then the agony is over for another year...

Yeah - but nothing announced until the live broadcast later...this is going to be excruciating.

Mofra
12-10-2022, 11:29 AM

Yes - but pick swaps are allowed up to an including draft day, so the AFL can still try and fill some news void

bornadog
12-10-2022, 11:49 AM
Yes - but pick swaps are allowed up to an including draft day, so the AFL can still try and fill some news void

Pick trades isn't as fun watching players being traded all over the country.

Bulldog4life
12-10-2022, 01:33 PM
My brother (Pies fan) updates me throughout the day when I’m at work when an actual trade is confirmed officially so like those updates from him and also come onto woof daily but yeah the whole thing is a wankfest.

Wash your mouth out Easty.:D

Eastdog
12-10-2022, 02:39 PM
Wash your mouth out Easty.:D

Sorry B4L :D

Axe Man
13-10-2022, 02:43 PM
Had to laugh at Trade Radio yesterday when SOS (who unbelievably was in charge of list management at 2 clubs) claimed Dunkley could go to the national draft and be picked up by Brisbane at pick 21.

Sure SOS, so long as they forgo Ashcroft and Fletcher.

hujsh
13-10-2022, 03:14 PM
Had to laugh at Trade Radio yesterday when SOS (who unbelievably was in charge of list management at 2 clubs) claimed Dunkley could go to the national draft and be picked up by Brisbane at pick 21.

Sure SOS, so long as they forgo Ashcroft and Fletcher.

So this is the scenario as I understanding from the Brisbane perspective. APPARENTLY Brisbane has lots of cap room. So much Dunkley can put his price as something silly like 1.5 mil for one year. No one will pick him up for that. (I think that part requires changing contracts though which you can't do at this time of the year for this reason but let's overlook that and say he ups his contract to 850K or something)

Now here's the tricky part. Their picks get eaten up by bids so they need to trade future picks to get back into the draft once the bids are done. They have a future first and 2 future seconds. One or both of them (the future first and ONE future second because rules stop you trading more than that) would have to be traded to get back into the first round/early second round before someone takes a chance on Dunkley.

To me the silly part of this was always... why not save the trouble and send those picks in a trade anyway if you're just going to lose them? At least when Collingwood took Luke Ball they drafted him with the pick they offered St.Kilda in a trade. Brisbane weren't even offering us 21+future first without kickbacks when this was being discussed.

You are right though Axe that it's still funny SOS mentioned using pick 21 specifically which would not be there unless they organised a trade with another club to act as a bank of sorts