PDA

View Full Version : Which clubs have been winning from the expansion teams:

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 07:27 PM
Decent (or well known player) trades out by GCS and GWS to existing clubs (not the full exhaustive list and not pick trades):

Richmond: Morris, Townsend, Prestia, Tom Lynch, Taranto, Hopper*

Geelong: Josh Caddy, Zac Smith, Gary Ablett, Jeremy Cameron, Bruhn, Bowes (with pick 7)

Collingwood: Andrew Krakouer, Ceglar, Jamie Elliott, Adam Treloar, Hoskin-Elliott, Bobby Hill, Adams

Fremantle: Mzungu, Bennell, Cam McCarthy, Nathan Wilson, Brandon Matera, Rory Lobb, Will Brodie, Corbett

Hawthorn: O'Rourke, O'Meara, Scrimshaw, Patton, Scully

St Kilda: Saad, Tom Lee, Tom Hickey, Josh Bruce, Jack Steele

Port Adelaide: Hombsch, Neade, Charlie Dixon, Finlayson

Melbourne: Dom Tyson, Sam Frost, Tom Bugg, May, K Kolo, Tomlinson

Essendon: Stewart, Devon Smith, Shiel, Saad, Peter Wright, Caldwell

Adelaide: Luke Brown, Hampton, Rankine

Carlton: Jaksch, Lamb, Phillips, Plowman, Sumner, Marchbank, Palmer, Jarrod Pickett, Matt Kennedy, Setterfield, Zac Williams

North: Ahern, Aaron Hall, Bonar, Corr

Brisbane: Lyons, Callum Ah Chee, Zorko

West Coast: Langdon

Western Bulldogs: Tom Boyd (retalitory strike for Griffen walking out as captain)

GCS: N/A

GWS: N/A

* (Sam Darley and his 7 games don't count)

angelopetraglia
11-10-2022, 07:59 PM
It hasn't really helped Carlton :)

Richmond a huge beneficiary.

The Dogs now have Treloar.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 08:30 PM
It hasn't really helped Carlton :)

Richmond a huge beneficiary.

The Dogs now have Treloar.

And Bruce. It’s seems quirky that we are the easily lowest volume trader with them. If not for Griffen, there’s no Boyd either. I can’t quite understand why.

The bigger clubs have done really well. Yah for strong clubs getting stronger.

azabob
11-10-2022, 10:49 PM
It is actually a pretty underwhelming list to be honest.
I’m quite surprised by it.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 10:58 PM
It is actually a pretty underwhelming list to be honest.
I’m quite surprised by it.

B: Mzungu May Bruce (was KPD then) / Tomlinson with good knees
HB: Wilson Marchbank Saad
C: Taranto Treloar Shiel
HF: Zorko Cameron Jamie Elliott
F: Rankine Tom Lynch Dixon
R: Lobb O’Meara Prestia
I: Adams Ablett Tom Boyd Hopper
E: Caddy Hopper Bruce/Tomlinson Hickey

azabob
11-10-2022, 11:03 PM
B: Mzungu May Bruce (was KPD then)
HB: Wilson Marchbank Saad
C: Taranto Treloar Caddy
HF: Zorko Tom Boyd Jamie Elliott
F: Rankine Tom Lynch Cameron
R: Zac Smith O’Meara Prestia
I: Hopper Lobb Dixon Ablett Shiel

Ah, I see the issue. Collingwood got Taylor Adams from GWS not Jamie Elliot.

In all seriousness considering the number of high draft picks I expected the 22 to be stronger.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 11:06 PM
Ah, I see the issue. Collingwood got Taylor Adams from GWS not Jamie Elliot.

In all seriousness considering the number of high draft picks I expected the 22 to be stronger.

Elliott was actually pre-listed and traded. I will add in Adams.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 11:40 PM
Richmond have done very well this trade period to bolster their midfield. On top of Taranto and Hopper they have Prestia, Dusty and Bolton.

boydogs
12-10-2022, 12:08 AM
Richmond, Geelong, Melbourne, Essendon & Collingwood have done well

Carlton not so much, they got it in their heads that even the picks GWS reject must still be good given their high pick riches, but its the clubs that have poached established players that have done best

Bulldog4life
15-10-2022, 02:44 PM
Richmond have done very well this trade period to bolster their midfield. On top of Taranto and Hopper they have Prestia, Dusty and Bolton.

No quality draft picks as a consequence.

Twodogs
15-10-2022, 07:02 PM
Add Lobb to the list.

Happy Days
18-10-2022, 11:29 AM
Just noticed the Sam Darley mention at the top. I was excited when we got him because of how his kicking was spoken about on that other forum next door. He might have just about been pound for pound (leaving out like those Fijian guys or whatever) the worst kick we’ve ever had.

Apparently he’s a top 10 player in the world at NBA 2K though. I guess everyone really does have that one special thing.

bulldogtragic
30-10-2022, 12:21 AM
Add Lobb to the list.

If you want to count indirect moves to us from GWS (through Aints, Pies & Freo), and between the two clubs:

GWS - Dogs

Ward - Tom Boyd
Griffen - Lobb
Reid - Bruce
Addison - Treloar
(List vacancy - Darley)

Marchbank - Macrae (Pick 6 with Griffen - compo pick for Ward) (Marchbank pick used on Deledio)
- Prudden (compo pick for Reid)

GWS from Collingwood:

Taranto & Kennedy (both trades out, picks 12 & 19 and pick used on Sam Taylor)

GWS from Freo:

Hately (quit to PSD), O’Halloran

GWS from Aints:

Passed on using the pick they got

From 2011 - Between the clubs activities directly and indirectly:

Now Dogs: Macrae, Lobb, Treloar, Bruce (Prelim win in 2016 and Premiership) (GF loss)
Now GWS: Ward, Taylor, O’Halloran, Pick 12 & 19 this year (2016 Prelim loss) (GF loss)

Twodogs
30-10-2022, 02:56 AM
That's a decent list of players we've got around and about from GWS.

I wonder how it is that we haven't managed to convince anyone to move from the Gold coast to sunny Footscray?

jeemak
30-10-2022, 03:13 AM
We won a flag partly due to expansion. So I reckon we're winners.

jazzadogs
30-10-2022, 11:59 AM
We won a flag partly due to expansion. So I reckon we're winners.

I remember at the time I thought we would struggle to recover from being bad at the same time as expansion - it pushed back what should have been good draft picks (e.g. Clay Smith being pick 15, when in a normal season we would have had pick 5), and I thought it would make it a lot harder to bring in quality players.

When you look back at the 2012 ladder, the bottom 7 spots were (starting in 12th) Richmond, Brisbane, Port, Dogs, Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS. Those teams have now contributed for 5 flags, 7 grand final appearances and a lot of prelim finals. So my fears were not really justified at all.

jeemak
30-10-2022, 05:02 PM
I remember at the time I thought we would struggle to recover from being bad at the same time as expansion - it pushed back what should have been good draft picks (e.g. Clay Smith being pick 15, when in a normal season we would have had pick 5), and I thought it would make it a lot harder to bring in quality players.

When you look back at the 2012 ladder, the bottom 7 spots were (starting in 12th) Richmond, Brisbane, Port, Dogs, Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS. Those teams have now contributed for 5 flags, 7 grand final appearances and a lot of prelim finals. So my fears were not really justified at all.

I think a few clubs were jolted into action and figured they'd be cooked if they didn't get their acts together.

azabob
01-11-2022, 05:25 PM
I think a few clubs were jolted into action and figured they'd be cooked if they didn't get their acts together.

Interestingly Hawthorn cited the reason they traded hard was because of Tassie coming in. Not sure they made the right move though.