PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Rory Lobb

Pages : [1] 2

bornadog
13-10-2022, 10:17 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfAUDccUcAIEAod?format=jpg&name=large

Rory Lobb is officially a Bulldog after the Club successfully brokered a trade deal with the Fremantle Dockers in the final moments of the 2022 Continental Tyres Trade Period.

The Bulldogs secured the key forward/ruck in exchange for pick 30 in the 2022 NAB AFL Draft, and their future second round selection.

Lobb will add significant scoring power for the Dogs’ emerging forward line, and offer strong ruck support.

The 30-year-old completed a career-best season for the Dockers in 2022, booting 36 goals from 21 games, including multiple majors on 11 occasions and a haul of five against St Kilda in Round 17.

Lobb has amassed 140 games over his career so far, after beginning with GWS in 2014 and moving across to the Dockers in 2018.

“We’re thrilled to bring in someone of Rory’s ability, who we believe will add significantly to our playing list over the coming seasons,” said Bulldogs General Manager of List & Recruiting, Sam Power.

“Players of Rory’s size, athleticism and experience, who can have an impact up forward and through the ruck, are difficult to find in the modern game.

“We can’t wait to see what Rory will bring to our Club.”

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2022, 10:21 AM
Great to have you on board Rory. There is absolutely no reason why your next 3+ years cant be the best of your career, and we cant wait to watch them.

bornadog
13-10-2022, 10:25 AM
Will be interesting how we use Rory. I would like to see him at least 30% of his time in the ruck.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2022, 10:30 AM
Welcome, now time to deliver.

WBFC4FFC
13-10-2022, 10:30 AM
Will be interesting how we use Rory. I would like to see him at least 30% of his time in the ruck.

Has he stopped with the Peroxide?!?!

This and Bevo letting go of the Mo are qualitative signals that the Dogs mean business!

GVGjr
13-10-2022, 10:33 AM

This and Bevo letting go of the Mo are qualitative signals that the Dogs mean business!

White King is one of our sponsors so that might help :)

The Underdog
13-10-2022, 10:33 AM
Looking forward to Rory, Naughts, Marra and Cody all flying for the same long bomb to the top of the square.

mjp
13-10-2022, 10:45 AM
Our team is MASSIVE.

How ironic is it that the club that went against the grain to recruit Caleb Daniel is now genuinely the land of the giants.

Happy Days
13-10-2022, 10:47 AM
https://youtu.be/MxdAWf6MIiA

Welcome Rory.

hujsh
13-10-2022, 10:50 AM
Apparently Rory entered the system late. Hopefully he lasts longer because of that

MrMahatma
13-10-2022, 11:05 AM
Welcome Lobster. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the fwd line gels and when it all clicks... woweee!

bornadog
13-10-2022, 11:23 AM

Welcome Rory.

I use to have that vinyl :D

Saw Lobby many many times

Axe Man
13-10-2022, 11:28 AM
Some background on Lobb before he was drafted:

Swan Districts ruckman Rory Lobb is an AFL draft long shot (https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/wafl/swan-districts-ruckman-rory-lobb-is-an-afl-draft-long-shot-ng-54284175b42b514fbbdbb4f7a30995be)

SWAN Districts big man Rory Lobb will complete a fairytale arrival into the AFL if he is recruited on Thursday after a rapid rise into the draft spotlight.

The exciting Lobb, 20, started the 2013 season in the WAFL reserves after an invitation to try his luck from his former amateurs coach Andrew Pruin, who handles the Swans' seconds

The athletic follower with a basketball upbringing completed his on-ball initiation attracting heavy interest from AFL talent scouts.

A distinct lack of big man appeal in Thursday's annual intake of new draftees, means he could even be taken somewhere inside the first 30 picks.

Lobb graduated to play 12 senior games with Swans, averaging 25 hitouts an outing after nine runs in reserve grade.

Happy Days
13-10-2022, 11:29 AM

I'm not really one for rabbit holes but one of my favourites is watching 1973 Sunbury footage. Can't believe that's the same country as the one we live in now.

bornadog
13-10-2022, 11:34 AM
I'm not really one for rabbit holes but one of my favourites is watching 1973 Sunbury footage. Can't believe that's the same country as the one we live in now.

I wanted to go but being a teen, parents forbid it. :mad:

How good was Billy Thorpe and Queen were booed off the stage :D

The Doctor
13-10-2022, 11:34 AM
Great to have Rory join the mighty Bulldogs. Can't wait to see him, Naughts & Jamarra tear teams apart.

Axe Man
13-10-2022, 11:39 AM

I assumed you were middle aged in the early 70s BAD.

My old man went apparently. You might as well say you were there BAD, I doubt anybody could verify it.

bornadog
13-10-2022, 11:44 AM
I assumed you were middle aged in the early 70s BAD.

My old man went apparently. You might as well say you were there BAD, I doubt anybody could verify it.

Really or joking. :D

Yeah, I could lie. :D

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2022, 12:01 PM
He better keep that peroxide hair.

I'm deadly serious. I rate it.

bornadog
13-10-2022, 12:33 PM
He better keep that peroxide hair.

I'm deadly serious. I rate it.

Here he is training :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pegfcTnphms

Bulldog4life
13-10-2022, 12:38 PM
Looking forward to Rory, Naughts, Marra and Cody all flying for the same long bomb to the top of the square.

One thing I noticed about Lobby is that he is a good leader for a forward which is a plus.

Twodogs
13-10-2022, 12:49 PM

I got told off by Lobby Loyde once. He caught me doing something I shouldn't have been doing at his studio on Richmond when he was producing a Painters and Dockers album and I happened to be hanging around.

bornadog
13-10-2022, 12:54 PM
I got told off by Lobby Loyde once. He caught me doing something I shouldn't have been doing at his studio on Richmond when he was producing a Painters and Dockers album and I happened to be hanging around.

Ok, what were you doing?

Bulldog4life
13-10-2022, 12:54 PM

I remember him from the "Wild Cherries".

josie
13-10-2022, 01:27 PM

My brother went. He died in 2015 and I miss him heaps. He loved Billy Thorpe. There was an excellent exhibition at arts centre - about Australian music history and they had a large booth you could enter and they played Sunbury festival footage with surround footage and audio. Might be still there. I spent time watching it a number of times and think I spotted my brother!! Also had countdown footage with Molly, that was fun too.

Twodogs
13-10-2022, 01:27 PM
Ok, what were you doing?

It involved a girl I'd met the night before and amphetamine.

He wasn't that stressed we were doing what we were doing per se, more the fact that the studio had been raided by the cops the week before and they'd promised they'd be back

josie
13-10-2022, 01:28 PM
Welcome Rory!! One if the few GWS players I could stomach. He was a different cat then and now. I think he’ll turn around the doubters. Go the Lobster.

Grantysghost
13-10-2022, 01:29 PM
Here he is training :D

Wrong guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SgZwt5xO3I

Happy Days
13-10-2022, 01:33 PM

I used to think that Lobby Loyde was one of those Skyhooks/Aztecs lame type musicians for like my entire teenage and early adult life. Then the Coloured Balls LP got re-issued a few years ago which I listened to without knowing the band members, which finally let me on to how good he was.

EasternWest
13-10-2022, 01:39 PM

Swan Districts ruckman Rory Lobb is an AFL draft long shot (https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/wafl/swan-districts-ruckman-rory-lobb-is-an-afl-draft-long-shot-ng-54284175b42b514fbbdbb4f7a30995be)

SWAN Districts big man Rory Lobb will complete a fairytale arrival into the AFL if he is recruited on Thursday after a rapid rise into the draft spotlight.

The exciting Lobb, 20, started the 2013 season in the WAFL reserves after an invitation to try his luck from his former amateurs coach Andrew Pruin, who handles the Swans' seconds

The athletic follower with a basketball upbringing completed his on-ball initiation attracting heavy interest from AFL talent scouts.

A distinct lack of big man appeal in Thursday's annual intake of new draftees, means he could even be taken somewhere inside the first 30 picks.

Lobb graduated to play 12 senior games with Swans, averaging 25 hitouts an outing after nine runs in reserve grade.

Did someone say basketball background?

Axe Man
13-10-2022, 01:41 PM

Apparently there are 1 or 2 other players in the league with a basketball background, but it's hardly ever mentioned.

Twodogs
13-10-2022, 01:42 PM
I don't think that there has ever been an AFL footballer with a basketball background. Certainly the commentators have never mentioned it.

SquirrelGrip
13-10-2022, 02:10 PM

Is he our first Swan Districts recruit since Simon Beasley?

Twodogs
13-10-2022, 02:15 PM
Is he our first Swan Districts recruit since Simon Beasley?

Paul Gow

And Riley Garcia started out there.

bornadog
13-10-2022, 02:21 PM
My brother went. He died in 2015 and I miss him heaps. He loved Billy Thorpe. There was an excellent exhibition at arts centre - about Australian music history and they had a large booth you could enter and they played Sunbury festival footage with surround footage and audio. Might be still there. I spent time watching it a number of times and think I spotted my brother!! Also had countdown footage with Molly, that was fun too.

Sorry to hear about your brother. I too loved Billy Thorpe. When I was in form 2, my school hired him for our school social. They played in a small gym, and had the amps up full blast. My ears were ringing for a week and I blame him for my tinnitus.

Sedat
13-10-2022, 02:21 PM
Paul Gow
He once conceded 7 goals in a quarter on Peter Sumich on a night as wet as today in Melbourne. I still don't know how he managed this feat.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2022, 02:29 PM

AFL draft bingo!

Axe Man
13-10-2022, 02:31 PM
He once conceded 7 goals in a quarter on Peter Sumich on a night as wet as today in Melbourne. I still don't know how he managed this feat.

I guess that explains why after 7 consecutive games from debut he never played again. Maybe we told him not to bother getting on the plane back to Melbourne?

bornadog
13-10-2022, 02:34 PM
https://youtu.be/bq3AnE_lDMY

BornInDroopSt'54
13-10-2022, 02:38 PM

Welcome Rory.

Loved Lobby and his coloured balls.
We lived near him in Ferny Creek. My young kids unfortunately witnessed his pony being killed by a pack of domestic dogs, grabbing it by the nose and pulling the noble beast down. Brutal.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-10-2022, 02:41 PM
I remember him from the "Wild Cherries".

And with Billy Thorpe!
Sixteen yo me was disappointed if I did not see them, Chain or Max Merrett live on a Saturday night at Peppers, Box Hill town hall.

Twodogs
13-10-2022, 02:43 PM

I remember listening to it on the radio at a mate's place in Ballarat. We were sitting at his kitchen table and he thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. Then I reminded him how we sat up watching Arsenal and Liverpool play off for the first division title in 1989. It shut his Liverpool supporting mouth up quick smart.

Bulldog4life
13-10-2022, 02:50 PM
And with Billy Thorpe!

One of my other favourites was Max Merritt and the Meteors. First saw them at a disco/venue called Sebastians in Melbourne when I was 15. Sneaked in.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-10-2022, 02:53 PM
One of my other favourites was Max Merritt and the Meteors. First saw them at a disco/venue called Sebastians in Melbourne when I was 15. Sneaked in.

Haha I used to catch the train to Sebastians and miss the last train back. We had to break into the christian brothers hostel in Sydney Rd to get a bed.
You must've been an early developer to sneek in at 15.
Yesterday at the self checkout the machine wanted proof 68 me was over 18 to buy matches haha.

Twodogs
13-10-2022, 02:53 PM
Ian Williams was from Swan Distracts too. He made his debut the year after Simon Beasley I think.

hujsh
13-10-2022, 02:58 PM
https://youtu.be/bq3AnE_lDMY
Adding that mark on Zaine for good measure.

I will not miss seeing that.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-10-2022, 03:00 PM
Ian Williams was from Swan Distracts too. He made his debut the year after Simon Beasley I think.

What a kick of the footy! That impossible win at Moorabbin after his brilliant goal late in the game, unforgettable.

Axe Man
13-10-2022, 03:04 PM
Adding that mark on Zaine for good measure.

I will not miss seeing that.

I hope to see it when we play St Kilda next year.

Bulldog4life
13-10-2022, 03:22 PM
Haha I used to catch the train to Sebastians and miss the last train back. We had to break into the christian brothers hostel in Sydney Rd to get a bed.
You must've been an early developer to sneek in at 15.
Yesterday at the self checkout the machine wanted proof 68 me was over 18 to buy matches haha.

Yeah good times. That particular night it was a University High School year 12 end of the year night. My sister who was in year 12 had 2 tickets, a friend was a no show and then I was the friend. Went there many times over the years before 18 yo. Like you caught the last train home to Yarraville station. 'Erics milk bar" was still open so grab 2 pies and walked home to Bena street. Otherwise had a dozen dimmies at "Mas" take away caravan parked outside Flinders Street station. Memories.

EasternWest
13-10-2022, 04:27 PM
Apparently there are 1 or 2 other players in the league with a basketball background, but it's hardly ever mentioned.

I don't think that there has ever been an AFL footballer with a basketball background. Certainly the commentators have never mentioned it.

AFL draft bingo!

Yes. Give me more.

F'scary
13-10-2022, 09:50 PM
All Hail the English Lobster ruck combo, aka the Kray Twins:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.bNyI5LSQg5 4kRx9oEE9TNAHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=7b162d240fb03fcc4d0672d5bf67abc9f5467875f9d02ff2789e03b8 e6b6870a&ipo=images (https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.bNyI5LSQg5 4kRx9oEE9TNAHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=7b162d240fb03fcc4d0672d5bf67abc9f5467875f9d02ff2789e03b8 e6b6870a&ipo=images)

Twodogs
13-10-2022, 10:06 PM
What a kick of the footy! That impossible win at Moorabbin after his brilliant goal late in the game, unforgettable.

I'll never forget that day. For some reason me and my two mates were sitting in the Huggins stand and may well have been the only Footscray supporters there. We were jumping around when he kicked that goal until we realised that every other person was glaring at us.

I wanted to go home at 3/4 time but one of my mates said that we may as well see who kicked the first goal in the last quarter. It was Neil Cordy, he took a mark in the goal square and played on!

bornadog
14-10-2022, 05:56 PM
'You feel like you're on the outer': Lobb opens up on trade saga (https://www.afl.com.au/news/857007/-you-feel-like-you-re-on-the-outer-lobb-opens-up-on-trade-saga)

WESTERN Bulldogs recruit Rory Lobb played out the 2022 season feeling on the outer at Fremantle but confident he gave his all to the club after deciding he would again seek a trade at the end of the year.

Lobb, whose trade request 12 months ago was denied by the Dockers, successfully secured a move to the Bulldogs on Wednesday in a deal that went through in the final minutes of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

The forward/ruck, who crossed in exchange for pick No.30 and a future second-round selection, said it felt "unreal" to join his third club, having wanted to move east for the past 18 months.

And he questioned whether he would have been able to repeat his career-best season, which netted 36 goals from 21 games, if he'd been held to the final year of his contract in 2023 by the Dockers.

"I was always going to ask for another trade," Lobb said from Perth on Friday. "It's been a year-and-a-half I've wanted out, so it was good to get it done, finally.

"You do feel like you're on the outer at times. The boys had full faith that I'd go out every week and play my hardest and do what's best for the club.

"In the end we were able to play finals and win that first final against the Doggies, funnily enough, so it was good to have a good year with the boys considering I wanted out.

It was obviously really tough, but I kept my head down and did long distance with my partner, which made it a little bit harder."

The former Greater Western Sydney tall admitted he had been surprised and frustrated when Fremantle declared at the start of the trade period that he would be a required played in 2023.

Lobb said the Dockers had told him 12 months earlier, after his failed trade request to the Giants, to "just make sure you have a really good year and we'll go from there and look to facilitate a trade".

The Dockers' position is that Lobb was not guaranteed a trade when his first request was knocked back.

"I was obviously really surprised when it came to Trade Period this year and asked (for a move) and it was denied," he said.

"Considering I had one last year on my contract and the fact I had asked previously, it would be really hard on the group having me around again, feeling like I'm not as committed as I should be.

"Being a young group, they want to start going in a different direction."

Lobb said his approach to football in 2022 was about "getting in and getting my work done", knowing that his teammates were aware he would again be seeking a trade at the end of the season.

The 29-year-old said his relationship and other personal circumstances were behind the move.

"I need to do what's best for me and my mental state," Lobb said.

"I feel like I've changed as a person the last four years. I've really grown up and I feel what's best for me is to move to Melbourne with my partner."

Lobb said he's excited about teaming up with the Bulldogs' young forwards, including Aaron Naughton, and forming a partnership with ruckman Tim English.

He was attracted to the Bulldogs by their style of play and the bond he formed quickly with coach Luke Beveridge.

"I really like the way we move the ball ... just being able to play to my strengths and come hard at the ball with a lot of elite kicks coming off half-back," he said.

"The meeting that I first had with Bevo and the connection we had, I felt like I'd known him for a long time and it's just grown ever since.

"Having him show a lot of faith and say we're going to get you here and we're going to get it done, it was always going to be the Bulldogs."

josie
14-10-2022, 06:04 PM
Thanks for that article BAD. Makes you realise how important Bevo is to our club.

Let’s hope the team is inspired to do great things next year and that MC selections are less puzzling.

bornadog
14-10-2022, 06:05 PM
Thanks for that article BAD. Makes you realise how important Bevo is to our club.

Let’s hope the team is inspired to do great things next year and that MC selections are less puzzling.

MC selections are only puzzling because we don't know the inside workings.

Great that Rory wanted to come to us.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2022, 06:07 PM

Yep. How can you not love Bevo.

hujsh
14-10-2022, 06:24 PM
He mentioned forming a partnership with English. Hopefully having a good ruckman paired with him will make it easier for English to get feedback and advice from someone who can experience the same thing as English. Not only playing in the same game against the same rucks but being of similar build/style Lobb can tell English what's working for him against the opposing rucks and what typically doesn't work.

Even with Steph they're very different builds but I remember English's ruck work first showed a major sign of improving when playing paired with Martin. I hope a similar bump again occurs with Lobb in the team.

WBFC4FFC
14-10-2022, 06:44 PM
He mentioned forming a partnership with English. Hopefully having a good ruckman paired with him will make it easier for English to get feedback and advice from someone who can experience the same thing as English. Not only playing in the same game against the same rucks but being of similar build/style Lobb can tell English what's working for him against the opposing rucks and what typically doesn't work.

Even with Steph they're very different builds but I remember English's ruck work first showed a major sign of improving when playing paired with Martin. I hope a similar bump again occurs with Lobb in the team.

Lade surely would also be a big asset too.

hujsh
14-10-2022, 06:59 PM
Lade surely would also be a big asset too.

True. Though we had King until recently as well

F'scary
14-10-2022, 09:47 PM
This guy wants to play for us. That is a big deal with me. What's his number? I'm wearing it.

Sedat
14-10-2022, 10:30 PM
Love it when a new recruit refers to his new club as 'we'

Rocco Jones
14-10-2022, 10:39 PM
Love it when a new recruit refers to his new club as 'we'

Yep, noticed that too.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-10-2022, 10:43 PM
He can’t wait to get to Whitten Oval but we won’t be training there until the ground is re surfaced. I would love to hear him say he can’t wait to get down to Skinner Reserve

Eastdog
15-10-2022, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Rory. Looking forward to see what he can bring to the side. His goal scoring will be an asset.

bornadog
15-10-2022, 05:29 PM
https://youtu.be/mzz_9XCXuDQ

Go_Dogs
16-10-2022, 11:38 AM
Spoke well - copped a fair grilling. Lots of questions.

Happier and happier to have him on board.

kruder
16-10-2022, 11:52 AM
One things for sure, if you're tall at the WO in 2023 you gotta perform to get get a game. I reckon that's a first!

Bulldog Joe
16-10-2022, 12:00 PM

MC selections are puzzling because they are PUZZLING and defiant of logical assessment.

bornadog
16-10-2022, 01:20 PM
MC selections are puzzling because they are PUZZLING and defiant of logical assessment.

Yep supporters are the experts

Jeanette54
16-10-2022, 01:36 PM
I wanted to go but being a teen, parents forbid it.

Yeah, it was always easier to say nothing and apologise later.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 11:19 PM
Yeah, it was always easier to say nothing and apologise later.

"Oh, you didn't want me to go? That makes so much more sense now that I think about it. I thought it was weird how laid back you were about me going to a party at an outlaw bikie clubhouse"

Axe Man
02-12-2022, 07:19 PM
The chat that sealed Lobb's move, Logue's fear for ex-teammate (https://www.afl.com.au/news/870602/the-chat-that-sealed-lobb-s-move-logue-s-fear-for-ex-teammate)

A new documentary series airing in 2023 will track some of the biggest stories to come from the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

RORY Lobb says his meeting with Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge was a key factor in his decision to seek a trade from Fremantle during this year's hectic trade window.

The Fremantle big man's departure to the Bulldogs, as well as that of teammate Griffin Logue's move to North Melbourne, will be detailed in Show Me The Money II, a feature-length documentary tracking three management companies and a series of major storylines through the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

In a follow-up to the previous series, the documentary will track player agencies Corporate Sports Australia, Connors Sports Management and Hemisphere Management Group as they negotiate deals in the off-season.

Lobb and Logue's manager Colin Young will again be a central storyline, with excerpts showing Young discussing with Lobb his trade request to the Bulldogs with a year to run on his contract at Fremantle.

"Obviously [I] had a really good connection with 'Bevo'. Like I feel like he'd really coach me the way I need to be coached and give me that sort of licence to play the way that I should be played," Lobb says in the documentary.

"At times I feel like I haven't played to my best of my ability, but I … feel like sometimes the coaching sort of put me the wrong direction."

In 2021, Lobb had been keen to join Greater Western Sydney but that trade request fell over, with Young seen telling Lobb before the trade period this year that he was much more confident of getting it done.

"Last year we probably had about a one per cent chance of getting this done this year. We're obviously on the other end with 60 per cent hopefully going forward," Young said.

With the out-of-contract Logue seeking a move to North Melbourne, Fremantle said publicly it was not prepared to let Lobb go. In a separate conversation featuring Young with both of his clients, Logue joked he might have cost his teammate the chance to be traded.

"I've cost him. I've cost Lobb," Logue said.

In that conversation, the trio discuss Luke Jackson's impending arrival at Fremantle from Melbourne and why Logue was looking for a move.

"I would have never thought that this time like two years ago, or whatever, I would never thought it would come to this, to be honest," Logue said.

While Logue's trade to the Kangaroos was sorted early in the trade period, Lobb's move to the Dogs was not sorted until the final moments of the trade period, with the deadline drama captured amid the last-minute wheeling and dealing.

Show Me The Money II, from Jam TV, will be released in February next year, with a number of star players' trades being tracked, including Jacob Hopper's move from Greater Western Sydney to Richmond.

Dry Rot
23-12-2022, 03:34 PM
Something to look forward to next year. He is a beautiful long kick.

Leading Goalkickers: Every Rory Lobb goal in 2022

https://www.afl.com.au/video/870734/leading-goalkickers-every-rory-lobb-goal-in-2022?videoId=870734&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1671739200001

F'scary
23-12-2022, 09:57 PM
Something to look forward to next year. He is a beautiful long kick.

Leading Goalkickers: Every Rory Lobb goal in 2022

https://www.afl.com.au/video/870734/leading-goalkickers-every-rory-lobb-goal-in-2022?videoId=870734&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1671739200001

I am right into this guy. Great recruitment coup - and he wanted us!!!

Dry Rot
23-12-2022, 11:18 PM
Ok these are only highlights and we don't see the other 99% o the time he is on the field.

But...

To my eye, these goals show a range of tall forward skills, including even bit of crumbing. And sublime long range goals.

So should he range around the half forward line and leave Naughton in the goal square?

hujsh
24-12-2022, 10:36 AM
Ok these are only highlights and we don't see the other 99% o the time he is on the field.

But...

To my eye, these goals show a range of tall forward skills, including even bit of crumbing. And sublime long range goals.

So should he range around the half forward line and leave Naughton in the goal square?

It sounds like we're setting up for Naughton to roam more and JUH and Lobb to play deeper.

That said we know Lobb is also a great down the line get out of jail free free card so that is also an option the MC has

Happy Days
24-12-2022, 11:22 AM
Lobb is a really good player but I hope we have him pegged to do more ruck work than we are all expecting. I want his recruitment to be a catalyst for turning Tim into an ostensible ruck rover.

Stevo
24-12-2022, 04:55 PM
Lobb is a really good player but I hope we have him pegged to do more ruck work than we are all expecting. I want his recruitment to be a catalyst for turning Tim into an ostensible ruck rover.

God you are a visionary. I want Lobb spending as much time forward as we can spare. If I was a small forward Id try and work out where the ball might spill if he gets doubled team.
There will be goals he kicks and goals he creates and we need players that can make the most of it.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-12-2022, 01:57 PM
God you are a visionary. I want Lobb spending as much time forward as we can spare. If I was a small forward Id try and work out where the ball might spill if he gets doubled team.
There will be goals he kicks and goals he creates and we need players that can make the most of it.
Cody, West, Garcia for starters.

F'scary
27-12-2022, 04:35 PM
Lob it to Lobb. Simples.

GVGjr
27-12-2022, 06:13 PM
Lob it to Lobb. Simples.

:)
The way we are training it appears we are not going to kick the long bomb too often.

GVGjr
27-12-2022, 06:15 PM
Given Lobb will play a lot more frequently at Marvel I wonder if that should result with a few more goals on his performances last season?

F'scary
27-12-2022, 09:26 PM
The way we are training it appears we are not going to kick the long bomb too often.

then there is not much point to having Naughton, JUH and Lobb/English in the forward line.

I think there will be plenty of Scud missiles (long and low) and howitzers (up and over) when the real thing starts.

Bulldog Joe
28-12-2022, 11:05 AM
then there is not much point to having Naughton, JUH and Lobb/English in the forward line.

I think there will be plenty of Scud missiles (long and low) and howitzers (up and over) when the real thing starts.

While it helps to have players capable of taking strong pack marks, it is enhanced if the ball is delivered to advantage minimising the chances of the opposition intercepting or spoiling.

F'scary
28-12-2022, 02:53 PM
While it helps to have players capable of taking strong pack marks, it is enhanced if the ball is delivered to advantage minimising the chances of the opposition intercepting or spoiling.

just as long as we get it into shot taking range, really fast next season. Too much keepings off and your opponent has 18 players between you and the goal.

Bulldog Joe
28-12-2022, 05:49 PM
just as long as we get it into shot taking range, really fast next season. Too much keepings off and your opponent has 18 players between you and the goal.

I am intrigued about how the game plan may evolve.

We need to utilise the strengths of the playing group.

If we do that properly we absolutely can win the whole thing.

merantau
29-12-2022, 08:07 PM
It's been a long time since we had so many big, tall, options.
In 1976 we fielded teams that included Dempsey, Hampshire, Quinlan, Salmon, Templeton, Welsh and Sandilands.

1eyedog
29-12-2022, 11:26 PM
It's been a long time since we had so many big, tall, options.
In 1976 we fielded teams that included Dempsey, Hampshire, Quinlan, Salmon, Templeton, Welsh and Sandilands.

And still couldn't win a bloody game.

Actually we went aight in 76 but man the late 70s early 80s were a graveyard.

bornadog
30-12-2022, 12:32 AM
And still couldn't win a bloody game.

Actually we went aight in 76 but man the late 70s early 80s were a graveyard.

1976 Geelong beat us in the elimination final by 7 points

Late 70s, early 80s we lost alot of those big men. Dempsey to North, Quinlan to Roys, Round to Sydney, Salmon retired, Sandlilands to Collingwood, Welsh retired.

Mofra
30-12-2022, 11:17 AM

If we can set up to facilitate our midfield not being the most defensive going around, I think we'll be ok.

In most seasons we've been susceptible to opposition intercept marking defenders killing us. I really can't see that happening next season, or for a while. If/when Lobb starts to decline, Sam Darcy will be primed to take over as a forward/ruck type.

GVGjr
30-12-2022, 03:12 PM
If we can set up to facilitate our midfield not being the most defensive going around, I think we'll be ok.

In most seasons we've been susceptible to opposition intercept marking defenders killing us. I really can't see that happening next season, or for a while. If/when Lobb starts to decline, Sam Darcy will be primed to take over as a forward/ruck type.

I think that is where Darcy eventually plays for us but in the next 2 years he will play in a number of roles for us.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-12-2022, 03:22 PM

Like Big Kev,
I'm excited.
With JUH & Sam Darcy ready to play a full season, Lobb and English well seasoned and ready, Dunkley gone and the new game plan being drilled this preseason, I'm excited.

Mantis
30-12-2022, 04:43 PM
Like Big Kev,
I'm excited.
With JUH & Sam Darcy ready to play a full season, Lobb and English well seasoned and ready, Dunkley gone and the new game plan being drilled this preseason, I'm excited.

1/ What makes you think that Sam Darcy is ready to play a full season? Given he has taken no part in any main sessions so far you would think he's a fair way off from being ready for rd 1.

2/ What is our new game plan?

GVGjr
30-12-2022, 07:06 PM
1/ What makes you think that Sam Darcy is ready to play a full season? Given he has taken no part in any main sessions so far you would think he's a fair way off from being ready for rd 1.

2/ What is our new game plan?

I'm happy enough to see 2023 as another development season for Darcy as he needs a slow build and should not be rushed.
Who knows how many games he might play for us but I can't see it being north of 10 games unless a lot of things go right for him.
Bevo also seems to be trying to temper expectations on him.

He could potentially learn a lot from Lobb next season.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-12-2022, 11:56 AM
I'm happy enough to see 2023 as another development season for Darcy as he needs a slow build and should not be rushed.
Who knows how many games he might play for us but I can't see it being north of 10 games unless a lot of things go right for him.
Bevo also seems to be trying to temper expectations on him.

He could potentially learn a lot from Lobb next season.

Agree with this.

Reality is Darcy got games this year because Keath was awful, Cordy was awful, and we had nobody else. Then we realised Bruce wasn't going to cut it in a final and needed him forward.

Fast forward to now and Keath looks in much better shape, Jones has been recruited and Lobb plays a pivotal second KPF/ruck role.

Darcy looks a special talent, as good as any we've seen, but he's a baby and needs time.

GVGjr
31-12-2022, 01:12 PM
Agree with this.

Reality is Darcy got games this year because Keath was awful, Cordy was awful, and we had nobody else. Then we realised Bruce wasn't going to cut it in a final and needed him forward.

Fast forward to now and Keath looks in much better shape, Jones has been recruited and Lobb plays a pivotal second KPF/ruck role.

Darcy looks a special talent, as good as any we've seen, but he's a baby and needs time.

I know this will sound harsh but it didn't appear to me that Darcy had knocked the door down for selection but he did perform well with the chances he got. Just needs some continuity with his football next season and we will see where that takes him.

The Underdog
31-12-2022, 01:20 PM
I know this will sound harsh but it didn't appear to me that Darcy had knocked the door down for selection but he did perform well with the chances he got. Just needs some continuity with his football next season and we will see where that takes him.

He had been pretty good at VFL level, showing some really nice signs, but let’s face it, by Round 22, Josh Bruce had set fire to the door, vomited on the carpet and passed out in someone’s bed.Sam didn’t need to knock the door down, he just needed to walk in and not piss himself to be an improvement. The fact he did some positive things at AFL level was enough. Agree that getting games into him at either level is the aim for this year.

Mofra
31-12-2022, 01:42 PM
He did judge the ball in flight really well (from what I saw).
I don't think that's a trait that can be developed too much once you're in the system - you're either a natural at it, or not.

Kicking what was damn close to VFL goal of the year was a pretty neat trick too.

I'm not sure he plays round 1 but what he did last year after growing 7cm and having no pre-season was remarkable. 2024 he should be playing regularly, perhaps by the end of 2023.
Lobb seems the perfect age for a transition to where I think a developed Sam Darcy plays - forward/ruck. Might be an intercept defender for a while first though.

josie
31-12-2022, 03:21 PM
He had been pretty good at VFL level, showing some really nice signs, but let’s face it, by Round 22, Josh Bruce had set fire to the door, vomited on the carpet and passed out in someone’s bed.Sam didn’t need to knock the door down, he just needed to walk in and not piss himself to be an improvement. The fact he did some positive things at AFL level was enough. Agree that getting games into him at either level is the aim for this year.

Oh Underdog, thanks for this wonderful je ne sais quoi turn of phrase. Made me smile. Straight talkin’ no sugar coatin’. Thank you.

The Underdog
31-12-2022, 06:21 PM
Oh Underdog, thanks for this wonderful je ne sais quoi turn of phrase. Made me smile. Straight talkin’ no sugar coatin’. Thank you.

No probs Josie. Much like the Dogs, I achieved very little this year, but glad I could come up with something on the siren

dog town
31-12-2022, 07:14 PM

I am not expecting anything at all from Darcy. He is a kid who is having another delayed pre season and is starting from a fair way back. I tend to think it is the media pushing Darcy forward at a quicker rate and it is probably to get a rise out of Bevo.

I really hope Darcy is everything we are hoping for but I do think some of the hype is a bit much, he has taken a handful of clunks but we really don’t even know what type of player he will be. If forward can he create separation? If back is he able play on more mobile players to intercept because that’s how most of them play.

More time at VFL level will not be the worst thing for Darcy and will help refine some parts of his game. At the moment he is very reliant on contested marking, this will always be his best asset but he needs more footy to understand what he can do at the level. If he is dominant in the VFL as he gains fitness we can bring him in as roles open up with some confidence.

The Underdog
31-12-2022, 08:09 PM
Now, back to pinning our hopes for 2023 on…checks notes, Rory Lobb?

EasternWest
31-12-2022, 09:26 PM
Now, back to pinning our hopes for 2023 on…checks notes, Robbie McComb

Fixed it for you, TU.

jeemak
31-12-2022, 10:10 PM

Super talented talls don't need to knock the door down to be given games. They just need to be given games.

jeemak
31-12-2022, 10:13 PM
Fixed it for you, TU.

Ideal swap for Dunks......!

The Underdog
01-01-2023, 08:41 AM
Fixed it for you, TU.

Gonna be a breakout season. Can replace Dunks grunt and field kicking. Just need to get him a mattress sponsorship.

Go_Dogs
02-01-2023, 11:44 AM
I am not expecting anything at all from Darcy. He is a kid who is having another delayed pre season and is starting from a fair way back. I tend to think it is the media pushing Darcy forward at a quicker rate and it is probably to get a rise out of Bevo.

I really hope Darcy is everything we are hoping for but I do think some of the hype is a bit much, he has taken a handful of clunks but we really don’t even know what type of player he will be. If forward can he create separation? If back is he able play on more mobile players to intercept because that’s how most of them play.

More time at VFL level will not be the worst thing for Darcy and will help refine some parts of his game. At the moment he is very reliant on contested marking, this will always be his best asset but he needs more footy to understand what he can do at the level. If he is dominant in the VFL as he gains fitness we can bring him in as roles open up with some confidence.

In some of the VFL I saw last year, his work once the ball hit the ground was his biggest asset for a bloke his size, as was the fluid movement at ground level. His ability to pluck marks from a standing / small leap position at the highest point is a good skill but will really be best one v one deep. His intercept work a highlight too.

Ideally he plays 5-10 games This year at senior level when form of others (or injury / rest for some of our older talls) allows.

Back on the Lobbster, I’m increasingly excited to see him play. As a second fiddle forward who spends time in the ruck, working with a few other studs, I think we can unlock a lot more than what Freo did last year. Playing under the roof should also suit. The most interesting element is how we structure our forward line, transition and ball movement to play to our new strengths.

Mofra
02-01-2023, 05:33 PM
Back on the Lobbster, I’m increasingly excited to see him play. As a second fiddle forward who spends time in the ruck, working with a few other studs, I think we can unlock a lot more than what Freo did last year. Playing under the roof should also suit. The most interesting element is how we structure our forward line, transition and ball movement to play to our new strengths.
While he plays, either Lobb or Naughton will get the 2nd tall. Both attracted the no 1 defender last year. There is the real possibility that one of them finds 2023 easier that 2022.

If we can really nail down that mobile 3rd marking option (JUH how badly do you want it?) then we have some proper structure in the F50.

bornadog
01-02-2023, 03:15 PM
IMPRESSED BY RECRUIT’S PRE-SEASON IMPACT (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/01/31/theyre-rapt-with-him-bulldogs-impressed-by-recruits-pre-season-impact/)

https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/4bdUO6elHYGc8RHxPBRnYw/7b4bfaaea2a1650b30fd2dab49e44ae8/TR120123MW0037.jpg?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

The Western Bulldogs are “rapt” with how recruit Rory Lobb has looked this pre-season according to AFL Media’s Josh Gabelich.
Lobb joined the Bulldogs for pick No. 30 and a future second-round selection in the trade period following a career-best season with Fremantle where he kicked 36 goals.

According to Gabelich, the Bulldogs have seen why the Dockers were so reluctant to let him go with his teammates “raving” about what he’s already brought to the line-up in training.

With a key role inside 50 beckoning for the 29-year-old, Gabelich expects his mere presence to help out the club’s other tall forwards.

“They’re rapt with him (Lobb) so far,” Gabelich told SEN WA.
“He had a little scare a couple of weeks ago with his ankle, but he actually never missed a session in the end.
“They’ve partnered him with Aaron Naughton and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan so far across the summer.

“I think we’ll see Aaron Naughton and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (improve) - speaking to a lot of people around the club over the last couple of days - the benefit of Rory Lobb isn’t just what he brings in terms of his output, but what he does for Naughton and Ugle-Hagan.

“I spoke with Naughton and he was just raving about Rory Lobb and what he’s brought to that forward line.
“I just think you’ll see it in those two because they’re still quite young, Naughton especially and Ugle-Hagan, I think Naughton will bring plenty.”

With a three-pronged tall forward line, Gabelich expects there to be a selection squeeze at the Bulldogs with players like Josh Bruce trying to earn a place in the team down back.

After also adding Liam Jones in the off-season, Gabelich expects Luke Beveridge’s biggest selection headache to surround the club’s tall timber.

“But the question is how do they fit all of these talls into the same side? it was only a few years ago that they struggled for depth at either end,” Gabelich said.

“They bring in Rory Lobb and bring in Liam Jones as a free agent, all of the sudden there’s pressure for spots.”
The Bulldogs open their 2023 season with a Round 1 clash against Melbourne at the MCG on March 18.

EasternWest
01-02-2023, 04:44 PM
He's borderline flying, really training the house down and the boys are getting around him.

Did I miss anything?

Mofra
01-02-2023, 05:15 PM
He's borderline flying, really training the house down and the boys are getting around him.

Did I miss anything?
Has he unveiled a shithouse stomach tattoo as yet?

Honestly, Lobb is a great get for us and he'll drop off just as Darcy is ready for regular time forward. Arguably, for what we need him for there is probably no other player in the competition who is a better fit. Even the fact he can kick 60m bombs stretches the opposition defensive zone by an extra 5-10m, meaning we should find more holes to lead into if we're in a slow play.

bulldogtragic
09-04-2023, 01:10 PM
While Lobb has been hampered by injury, how do you see his impact of the game day side so far?

English growing into the season really well. With genuine actual support.
Marra getting the lesser defender. Until he kicks a bag.
Bruce moved into defence and has since played every game there.
Darcy being forced to develop at VFL and earn a spot on form not potential.
Haven?t yet seen what Weightman might add/change yet either.

While we wait for him to get fully match fit.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 02:30 PM
Agree BT, Lobb is starting to get use to how we play and is a terrific backup for Tim. I would like to see him hold more contested marks, but I think we are looking dangerous up forward and lots of teams will struggle with the match ups.

macca
09-04-2023, 02:38 PM
While Lobb has been hampered by injury, how do you see his impact of the game day side so far?

English growing into the season really well. With genuine actual support.
Marra getting the lesser defender. Until he kicks a bag.
Bruce moved into defence and has since played every game there.
Darcy being forced to develop at VFL and earn a spot on form not potential.
Haven?t yet seen what Weightman might add/change yet either.

While we wait for him to get fully match fit.

Great points @BT and they are all positives that Lobb has brought to the team . We are not getting exposed in the ruck when English has a rest . Also we dont need to use a makeshift ruckman which deprives our players from playing their designated positions.

Lobb stepped up in important moments yesterday . His marking let him down due to slippery conditions but he held his own

Go_Dogs
09-04-2023, 03:47 PM
If he kicks a couple each week it will be a good season. Nearly plucked a few good marks last night. Building.

GVGjr
09-04-2023, 04:01 PM
He's a long way off from delivering on my expectations of him but the next 3 weeks will start to tell the story. For a player who kicked 36 goals last season and was effective in the back up ruck role I'm expecting a similar type return this year.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 04:55 PM
He's a long way off from delivering on my expectations of him but the next 3 weeks will start to tell the story. For a player who kicked 36 goals last season and was effective in the back up ruck role I'm expecting a similar type return this year.

I am not expecting 36 goals, because unlike Freo, we are sharing the goals around with Naughton and JUH. If he can provide support in the forward line as well as in the ruck - something like last night, then he has done his job.

GVGjr
09-04-2023, 05:01 PM
I am not expecting 36 goals, because unlike Freo, we are sharing the goals around with Naughton and JUH. If he can provide support in the forward line as well as in the ruck - something like last night, then he has done his job.

I certainly want 30 goals from him as he should be more lethal with his goal kicking by playing more games at Marvel.
I definitely want to see a better output in the ruck as well. Both of these standards are very achievable. We didn't recruit a spare parts player and my expectations are much higher than that.

ledge
09-04-2023, 05:40 PM
He has definitely got better than his first two weeks, hopefully he keeps improving.

jeemak
09-04-2023, 06:01 PM
I certainly want 30 goals from him as he should be more lethal with his goal kicking by playing more games at Marvel.
I definitely want to see a better output in the ruck as well. Both of these standards are very achievable. We didn't recruit a spare parts player and my expectations are much higher than that.

I'm a bit with you here. I want him to hit the scoreboard consistently, be strong when relieving in the ruck, but also get off the chain from time to time when we need him to if JUH and Naughton aren't contributing how we'd like.

He's an experienced and talented player who if he works hard can deliver good results.

GVGjr
09-04-2023, 06:22 PM
I'm a bit with you here. I want him to hit the scoreboard consistently, be strong when relieving in the ruck, but also get off the chain from time to time when we need him to if JUH and Naughton aren't contributing how we'd like.

He's an experienced and talented player who if he works hard can deliver good results.

He's had a terrific preseason as well and it's a shame that the injury he copped was right before round one.
I don't think we should be lowering expectations on him. He was brought in to play alongside of Naugthon and if Bruce can get 48 goals in a season doing that role as well as helping in the ruck from time to time Lobb has to be able to get 30+.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2023, 10:04 PM
I was just playing through the trade. Right now we are offering up Pick 30 (2022) & 31 (2023 currently).

In 2021 we did a live trade with North to get Pick 39 for our 3rd.
In 2022 we traded two late 3rds for a 2nd, circa 35-38.

If you accept the minor downgraded of 30-to-39 last year and then say 31-to-35-38 this year. Then these very minor downgrades and 3 x Late Third Rounders secured Lobb. Say Picks 46, 47 & 53 and the minor downgrades (still keeping picks in the mid-high 30?s). Equal to about Pick 20 in Draft Points spread over two years (getting Rory last off season).

So we have a genuine second ruck, tall target letting Marra break out, also kicking over a goal a game so far, for three late draft picks (if not for shrewd trading by Sam Power). From this perspective, it?s a very reasonable cost.

comrade
20-05-2023, 11:41 PM
Having him in the team is clearly helping Timmy and it?s increasingly helpful to our other tall forwards, which is helping us win. We finally have balance and we?re playing better for it.

SonofScray
21-05-2023, 09:31 AM
Interesting use of him again yesterday.

He was at stoppages, about 5 meters off the initial contest almost at every bounce. Playing a sweeper sort of role.

Threw out the big pincers a few times to intercept the scrappy ball out of the stoppage and was a decent physical presence in the clinches.

Keeps finding the goals more weeks than not, which is a great sign.

GVGjr
21-05-2023, 09:48 AM
I get the balance that he brings us but he hasn't measured up to my expectations of him so far.
He's poor at taking overhead marks and while his ruck work is a a bit of an upgrade on some of our makeshift options of the past it's not as effective as I hoped.

1eyedog
21-05-2023, 09:49 AM
I was just playing through the trade. Right now we are offering up Pick 30 (2022) & 31 (2023 currently).

In 2021 we did a live trade with North to get Pick 39 for our 3rd.
In 2022 we traded two late 3rds for a 2nd, circa 35-38.

If you accept the minor downgraded of 30-to-39 last year and then say 31-to-35-38 this year. Then these very minor downgrades and 3 x Late Third Rounders secured Lobb. Say Picks 46, 47 & 53 and the minor downgrades (still keeping picks in the mid-high 30?s). Equal to about Pick 20 in Draft Points spread over two years (getting Rory last off season).

So we have a genuine second ruck, tall target letting Marra break out, also kicking over a goal a game so far, for three late draft picks (if not for shrewd trading by Sam Power). From this perspective, it?s a very reasonable cost.

Wha?

bulldogtragic
21-05-2023, 10:17 AM
Wha?

Put another way. If Sam Power didn’t do smart trades with North & Brisbane, we would’ve had picks 48 (2022), (currently) 49 & 50 to try to secure Lobb.

Sam turned them into 39 & 33-36. Which meant in 2022 & 2023 we had two picks each year in the 30-40 range. Which allowed us to trade one from both years whilst maintaining draft order presence.

So we downgraded our first picks here effectively from 30 to 39, and say 31 to 34. Small shuffle.

So we’ve kept presence in 2022 & 2023 in the 30-40 pick range ourselves, by turning what was say 48, 49 & 50 into the Picks 39 & 34 for us to secure Lobb with 30 & 31.

Basically, you could argue we got Lobb for a slight shuffle down the order and ‘natural’ picks say 48, 49 & 50. It’s just that Sam Power managed to turn them into two picks in the 30’s to cover Freo ‘S demands without sacrificing our presence in that draft order range.

Clear as mud? :D

Testekill
21-05-2023, 10:21 AM
I do like what we're doing with pushing Lobb further up the wings, our forward line was initially just too crowded with all three tall options there but now we've got more balance. Lobb is also hitting the scoreboard which is just a bonus.

Scraggers
22-05-2023, 11:46 AM
I do like what we're doing with pushing Lobb further up the wings, our forward line was initially just too crowded with all three tall options there but now we've got more balance. Lobb is also hitting the scoreboard which is just a bonus.

What impressed me most about his game on the weekend was his tackling. 6 Tackles for the game, one behind Bailey Smith, and he had no hesitation throwing his weight around. For a big man, this was very impressive.

Sedat
22-05-2023, 12:04 PM
Lobb's form cannot be judged solely on his own personal output. His arrival has coincided with massive improvement in output and especially impact from Tim English, and this is precisely what we have desperately lacked for the previous 4 years (save for a 6 week run from Stef Martin before his body failed him).

Pedro Sanchez
22-05-2023, 04:43 PM
Lobb's form cannot be judged solely on his own personal output. His arrival has coincided with massive improvement in output and especially impact from Tim English, and this is precisely what we have desperately lack for the previous 4 years (save for a 6 week run from Stef Martin before his body failed him).

Side note, is Stef Martin still coaching at the club? Dont recall seeing at all since some pre-season pics.

GVGjr
22-05-2023, 04:52 PM
Side note, is Stef Martin still coaching at the club? Dont recall seeing at all since some pre-season pics.

Yes, he's one of the development coaches reporting to Stewart Edge and he's also an assistant coach of Footscray.

GVGjr
22-05-2023, 05:10 PM
Lobb's form cannot be judged solely on his own personal output. His arrival has coincided with massive improvement in output and especially impact from Tim English, and this is precisely what we have desperately lack for the previous 4 years (save for a 6 week run from Stef Martin before his body failed him).

I understand the role of a structure player isn't purely measured on their output but I'm not seeing the real value in Lobb at the moment mainly because he doesn't seem to be able to hold enough high marks like I thought he could. I remain hopeful that some things start to click for him and his output improves.

Rocco Jones
22-05-2023, 05:21 PM
To adequeatly judge if he has been a good get so far, I would want to know how much we are paying him.

If he is taking 'role player' money, great.

If he is taking star player money, he is going below par.

hujsh
22-05-2023, 05:27 PM
To adequeatly judge if he has been a good get so far, I would want to know how much we are paying him.

From the sounds of things he's somewhere between the two.

He was on star player money at Freo and he IIRC extended his contract at the Dogs so it's less money per year over an extra year.

GVGjr
22-05-2023, 05:42 PM

I think this year he is on about 750K, I'm not sure what the other two years are like.

Axe Man
22-05-2023, 06:05 PM
From the sounds of things he's somewhere between the two.

He was on star player money at Freo and he IIRC extended his contract at the Dogs so it's less money per year over an extra year.

I think this year he is on about 750K, I'm not sure what the other two years are like.

As Hujsh says it was reported as a 3 year deal worth around $1.5 million.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2023, 06:21 PM
As Hujsh says it was reported as a 3 year deal worth around $1.5 million.

We restructured the cash over three years, if I remember correctly. Could be wrong.

ratsmac
22-05-2023, 08:40 PM
If we kick the ball properly to him he'd be a chance to hold more marks. He gets more ordinary balls kicked to him than good ones. I would still like to see him clunk some more pack marks that he gets his hands to. He does look like he's starting to fit in our style more than he did earlier in the season

jeemak
22-05-2023, 09:10 PM
He'll take a while to fit in, but it's good that he's contributing. I noticed his physicality around the contest on the weekend, and while he didn't take any marks he managed six tackles which shows he's buying in.

Mofra
23-05-2023, 09:18 AM
Does anyone have stats on opposition intercept marks in our F50 this year, compared to previous years?
I suspect that's a helpful indicator on Rory Lobb's impact

bornadog
27-05-2023, 06:01 PM
Lobb playing his 150th game today. Good luck - have a big game

jeemak
27-05-2023, 06:59 PM
A loyal Bulldog servant through and through! Congratulations Rory!

bulldogsthru&thru
27-05-2023, 07:54 PM
A loyal Bulldog servant through and through! Congratulations Rory!

Wow where has the time gone? 150 already for the dogs.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2023, 11:09 PM
We’ve turned a club leading goal kicker from Freo into an ineffective winger. For two Pick 30’s. Great plan.

jeemak
03-06-2023, 11:14 PM
We’ve turned a club leading goal kicker from Freo into an ineffective winger. For two Pick 30’s. Great plan.

And when he is forward he has to put up with Naughton, Jamarra and Weightman jumping all over him.

Our tall forwards are unbelievably selfish and do not work for each other in any way. Someone like Lobb gets in good position and he's surrounded.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2023, 11:15 PM

But he's a mastermind right?

Bevo owns this club and we have no leadership to pull it back. He's a ****ing lunatic.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2023, 11:16 PM
And when he is forward he has to put up with Naughton, Jamarra and Weightman jumping all over him.

Our tall forwards are unbelievably selfish and do not work for each other in any way. Someone like Lobb gets in good position and he's surrounded.

It’s literally ****ing insane. Like no Cisco even thought about what to do with the forward line. It was the right trade, but we are killing it.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2023, 11:17 PM
Let's not forget turning another 40+ goal kicker (Bruce) into a VFL defender.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2023, 11:18 PM
But he's a mastermind right?

Bevo owns this club and we have no leadership to pull it back. He's a ****ing lunatic.

No one is going to sack him. So enjoy the ride of the 747 into the ground. This should’ve been a great trade. But as Jee says, for those reasons and Bevo, we ****ed it up.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2023, 11:19 PM

Also a club leading goal kicker. We can recruit them for top picks. We can get them to the club. Then we destroy them.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2023, 11:21 PM
Also a club leading goal kicker. We can recruit them for top picks. We can get them to the club. Then we destroy them.

Yep.

There's one man responsible. As you said, we won't sack him, and that's because we just don't have the fortitude to hold him to account

bulldogtragic
03-06-2023, 11:23 PM
Yep.

There's one man responsible. As you said, we won't sack him, and that's because we just don't have the fortitude to hold him to account

Sam Power. Bringing in two club leading accurate goal kickers? For just second rounders. Bit harsh. He didn’t kill/try to kill their careers. They’re capable of 60-80 goals between them. Going to maybe get 25 this year. Whoo!

Bulldog4life
04-06-2023, 12:11 PM

That was Bruce's own idea. Wasn't Bevo's.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 12:15 PM

I think that’s a nice and convenient narrative… But it might be time to undo this now.

Bulldog4life
04-06-2023, 12:17 PM
I think that’s a nice and convenient narrative… But it might be time to undo this now.

No not convenient I am just saying the truth of what happened BT.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 12:19 PM
No not convenient I am just saying the truth of what happened BT.

I know that’s what was reported, not intention to have a dig or anything. Im suggesting it didn’t exactly go down like that, that’s all I can say.

kruder
04-06-2023, 12:25 PM
Lobb was making good space in the forward line last night, he leads well but the kicker ignores him a lot for some reason.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 12:27 PM
Lobb was making good space in the forward line last night, he leads well but the kicker ignores him a lot for some reason.

Who were they going to most of the time? (My memory fails me - thanks in advance if you know)

GVGjr
04-06-2023, 12:35 PM

Bruce apparently suggested it and Bevo saw some merit in it.

Mofra
04-06-2023, 12:38 PM
The way Bruce finished last year, he's lucky to be on the list.

mjp
04-06-2023, 12:47 PM
Lobb didn't play well (and really hasn't played that well) but his numbers are much the same as they've always been. We've gotten a forward-ruck - the forward-ruck position we have been trying to fill - and even at his current level of performance (or non-performance) Lobb is still amongst the better players in the comp filling this position...they simply don't exist.

GVGjr
04-06-2023, 01:00 PM
Lobb didn't play well (and really hasn't played that well) but his numbers are much the same as they've always been. We've gotten a forward-ruck - the forward-ruck position we have been trying to fill - and even at his current level of performance (or non-performance) Lobb is still amongst the better players in the comp filling this position...they simply don't exist.

He's like a lot of Australian cricket all-rounders before Green arrived that could bat and bowl but really not be in the best 7 batsman or top 15 bowlers. Lobb provides some structure for us so we can accept a slightly lesser performance but what the numbers might be saying doesn't really measure up on how poorly he has performed.
If we compared him to Bruce of 2021 he's nowhere near as effective up forward and only marginally better in the ruck and I find that disappointing. I watched him a few times last year and I think the concern is that he's gone from being the number #1 forward target for Freo to the #3 target with us and that might be what we didn't allow for when we traded for him.

kruder
05-06-2023, 02:01 AM
Who were they going to most of the time? (My memory fails me - thanks in advance if you know)

Generally long to a contest, first crack showed a number of our entries that either ignored the leading player or kicked it to the disadvantage of Naughty.

bornadog
05-06-2023, 02:05 AM
He's like a lot of Australian cricket all-rounders before Green arrived that could bat and bowl but really not be in the best 7 batsman or top 15 bowlers. Lobb provides some structure for us so we can accept a slightly lesser performance but what the numbers might be saying doesn't really measure up on how poorly he has performed.
If we compared him to Bruce of 2021 he's nowhere near as effective up forward and only marginally better in the ruck and I find that disappointing. I watched him a few times last year and I think the concern is that he's gone from being the number #1 forward target for Freo to the #3 target with us and that might be what we didn't allow for when we traded for him.

i much prefer Lobb in the ruck than Jong, Dunkley, Bont, Hannan, and even Bruce

Stevo
05-06-2023, 10:26 AM
i much prefer Lobb in the ruck than Jong, Dunkley, Bont, Hannan, and even Bruce

Doesnt he get bonus points for crashing packs? Lobb cant

bulldogtragic
01-07-2023, 03:44 PM
I really backed this trade.

I might have been terribly wrong.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2023, 03:59 PM

Ditto.

It's at the point where he should be dropped.

hujsh
01-07-2023, 04:23 PM
Throw Bruce forward in the VFL and see how he goes

bulldogtragic
01-07-2023, 05:24 PM
Looked angry after 3/4 time. Impacted the game too. But a worrying first three quarters.

dalek
02-07-2023, 12:09 PM
I am disappointed in what Rory has shown us so far, this season.

Bulldog4life
02-07-2023, 12:14 PM
If Spanger can direct Lobb to lead to the 50 metre arc or just hang around there and the players are aware of this he will kick more goals. Like he did with Freo. We don't need him in the goal square.

jazzadogs
02-07-2023, 12:14 PM
In the vital last quarter he had 4 disposals, a huge goal and 6 hitouts from 9 ruck contests. Admittedly it was against Treacy, but those were the periods of games where we have been known to collapse.

I only watched the kayo mini of the first 3 quarters, but I thought he was really important in the last.

SonofScray
02-07-2023, 12:18 PM
He is mediocre, but often finds a way to hit the scoreboard or have a few important involvements.

Different eras and iterations of the team, but I wonder how people think he stacks up against what Daniel Bandy offered us back in the day? That’s the player he seems most similar too, to me.

hujsh
02-07-2023, 01:00 PM
What's the pass mark for him in terms of goals? Is it 30? He's kinda on track for that. It's not the 36 he kicked last year as a near permanent forward for Freo and the focal point of their attack but are we maybe a bit delusional if we expect the same output?

I agree he has looked poor at times this year but looking at the total goals (14 at the halfway point) maybe he's not doing as bad as we imagined based on the eye test. Or maybe the issue is his ruck work?

jeemak
02-07-2023, 01:07 PM
On the eye he really annoyed me yesterday because he refused to impact contests he should have. It really pissed me off. Then in the last he delivered what I want from him, intent and execution from his limited opportunities.

Anyone expecting the same output from him as last year would have to advocate for Marra and Naughton to step aside. Nobody's going to do that (nor am I), so it means the contests he does get to/ opportunities he does get need to really count and that's not too much to ask of someone of his ability and pay grade.

Hotdog60
02-07-2023, 01:17 PM
At 3 quarter time I wonder if Bevo put it to him that we needed a bit more from him.

D Mitchell
02-07-2023, 01:39 PM
In the vital last quarter he had 4 disposals, a huge goal and 6 hitouts from 9 ruck contests. Admittedly it was against Treacy, but those were the periods of games where we have been known to collapse.

I only watched the kayo mini of the first 3 quarters, but I thought he was really important in the last.

If he had 6 hitouts in the last quarter, then he must have had 7 in the first 3, I'd have thought more. I thought he was good in his ruck stints all game. Frankly, whatever headquarters says and whatever he might prefer, I think he was brought to the club to provide an immediate utility ruckman to back up English (remember Roughead and Boyd ?), presumably Bev regarding Sweet as too one dimensional. He allows English to drop back in defence to take intercepts, go forward and snag a goal and/or take a spell on the bench. In Bev's eyes, that makes him valuable.

mjp
02-07-2023, 01:46 PM

You can't be right all of the time! You go pretty close.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2023, 08:40 PM
For your Lobb-Position bingo cards,

You can mark off

Ruck
2nd Ruck
FF
CHF
Wing
And today, defence, despite a former FB being in the side not doing much today
VFL x 2

I’m sure when we sold the vision to Lobb having a career best year, this was exactly it.

chef
29-07-2023, 10:22 PM
For your Lobb-Position bingo cards,

You can mark off

Ruck
2nd Ruck
FF
CHF
Wing
And today, defence, despite a former FB being in the side not doing much today
VFL x 2

I’m sure when we sold the vision to Lobb having a career best year, this was exactly it.

Was weird Naughton wasnt sent back.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2023, 10:23 PM
Was weird Naughton wasnt sent back.

Made zero sense. Naughton as at least played there before and Taylor was owning him. Rediculous idea by whomever suggested it.

The bulldog tragician
29-07-2023, 10:39 PM
I thought Naughton should have gone back. But I don’t think Lobb has any reason to feel aggrieved about where he is played or that we haven’t delivered on his “vision.” He is on very good money, was happy to burn Freo when coming to us, and hasn’t represented good value so far. He might not have been happy being thrown around, but I’m not happy that his form was so poor that he ended up in the twos either.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2023, 10:41 PM
I thought Naughton should have gone back. But I don’t think Lobb has any reason to feel aggrieved about where he is played or that we haven’t delivered on his “vision.” He is on very good money, was happy to burn Freo when coming to us, and hasn’t represented good value so far. He might not have been happy being thrown around, but I’m not happy that his form was so poor that he ended up in the twos either.

Probably not best to look at the extra pick in the high 20’s we will be sending to Freo then…

Mantis
01-08-2023, 02:52 PM
Made zero sense. Naughton as at least played there before and Taylor was owning him. Rediculous idea by whomever suggested it.

Taylor was probably beating Naughton, but the notion he was owning him is factually incorrect as it was a pretty even contest. And even though Naughton has played in defence previously when he went back against North earlier this year he was poor.

I?m comfortable with the move of Lobb to defence? it didn?t cost us the game and we were limited in alternatives.

JanLorMill
01-08-2023, 07:06 PM
Taylor was probably beating Naughton, but the notion he was owning him is factually incorrect as it was a pretty even contest. And even though Naughton has played in defence previously when he went back against North earlier this year he was poor.

I?m comfortable with the move of Lobb to defence? it didn?t cost us the game and we were limited in alternatives.
We only had to prevent 1 less goal or kick 1 more. We only kicked 3? goals after Bruce went down. Was Naughton involved in any of them?

1eyedog
01-08-2023, 08:30 PM
Taylor does whatever he likes if Naughton goes back. Naughton was almost playing as a defensive forward on him at times.

Danjul
01-08-2023, 09:27 PM
Taylor does whatever he likes if Naughton goes back. Naughton was almost playing as a defensive forward on him at times.
Naughton contributed almost nothing.
Weightman ditto.
JUH ditto.
As a forward Lobb contributed nothing.

All were there simply to kick goals. If they had different names they would be dropped.

Jj and Dale contributed as many goals as those 4 experienced forwards combined.

Mantis
01-08-2023, 09:46 PM
Naughton contributed almost nothing.
Weightman ditto.
JUH ditto.
As a forward Lobb contributed nothing.

All were there simply to kick goals. If they had different names they would be dropped.

Jj and Dale contributed as many goals as those 4 experienced forwards combined.

But names (and previous performances) matter don’t they?

I think it’s ridiculous to suggest the likes of Naughton, Marra and Weightman would be dropped based off one poor game… it was shit they all were down at the same time, but they aren’t immune to poor performances.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2023, 11:24 PM
Best game for the club. When it flies in quick he’s looks like another player.

Grantysghost
04-08-2023, 11:26 PM
Balta not worst on ground.

He's been superb. I take it all back.

Rocket Science
05-08-2023, 12:58 AM
Look I don't want to be that guy after a feel good win but one game against a deeply disinterested opponent does not nearly square the ledger with this bloke.

Give me a month of worthwhile contributions and some influence in finals and I'll gladly simmer down.

GVGjr
05-08-2023, 01:09 AM
Look I don't want to be that guy after a feel good win but one game against a deeply disinterested opponent does not nearly square the ledger with this bloke.

Give me a month of worthwhile contributions and some influence in finals and I'll gladly simmer down.

He's got a long way to go before he repays the investment we've made with him and one very good game doesn't change that.

D Mitchell
05-08-2023, 01:25 AM
With 1 minute to go, 9 goals up, my unruly mate declares, "I've seen us lose from here".

bulldogtragic
05-08-2023, 08:08 AM

I agree for 2 x Pick 30’s he owes us heaps, just merely stating it was his best game so far. Hopefully he can build from here and we see that under a pack he’s ineffective. But quick entry to him on the lead helps him and team. Let’s see.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 12:01 PM
We needed a second ruck and someone that can play forward and Lobb fills that role.

Yes he could have done more in the season, but I think he was worth pursing. Darcy will fill this role when Lobb retires.

Bulldog4life
05-08-2023, 12:47 PM
We needed a second ruck and someone that can play forward and Lobb fills that role.

Yes he could have done more in the season, but I think he was worth pursing. Darcy will fill this role when Lobb retires.

Hearing what Goldy said the other night on Fox Footy I wouldn't be in a hurry to ruck Darcy again until he has put on some beef. Goldy said corkies happen all the time when rucking. I didn't like to hear that when thinking about Darc.

GVGjr
05-08-2023, 12:57 PM
Hearing what Goldy said the other night on Fox Footy I wouldn't be in a hurry to ruck Darcy again until he has put on some beef. Goldy said corkies happen all the time when rucking. I didn't like to hear that when thinking about Darc.

It's the point I've been trying to make. He's not ready to ruck and might be 12 months or more away from being able to handle it. We should be in no hurry to throw him into the ruck.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 01:04 PM

It's the point I've been trying to make. He's not ready to ruck and might be 12 months or more away from being able to handle it. We should be in no hurry to throw him into the ruck.

Well I did say when Lobb retires which could be 3 years away

Bulldog4life
05-08-2023, 01:10 PM
Well I did say when Lobb retires which could be 3 years away

Yes but surely Darc will be a regular next year. Backline?

jeemak
05-08-2023, 01:57 PM

I just want him to get a full preseason in and some continuity at the lower level. The senior chances will come.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2023, 02:06 PM

This is the confusing thing. Preseason Bevo said he’s a forward, second ruck. In last nights presser Bevo talked about our KPDs being out and name checked Darcy.

I dunno?

D Mitchell
05-08-2023, 07:26 PM
Who in his right mind would ever want to play ruck ? At centre bounce, the ball's in the air, you have to keep your eye on it, meanwhile there's a malevolent monster with knees the size of Uluru aimed straight at the family jewels. Goldstein's corkies ? the least concern. What sadist brought the line across the circle into the game ?

GVGjr
05-08-2023, 07:36 PM
Who in his right mind would ever want to play ruck ? At centre bounce, the ball's in the air, you have to keep your eye on it, meanwhile there's a malevolent monster with knees the size of Uluru aimed straight at the family jewels. Goldstein's corkies ? the least concern. What sadist brought the line across the circle into the game ?

It's a hard job isn't it? Very specialized.

D Mitchell
05-08-2023, 07:44 PM
It's a hard job isn't it? Very specialized.

Thanks ancestors, for keeping sufficient flanker-size bases DNA in the gene pool.

Bulldog Joe
05-08-2023, 09:27 PM

Wasn't this an anti Luke Darcy rule like the repealed clean take being prior opportunity.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 10:00 PM
Wasn't this an anti Luke Darcy rule like the repealed clean take being prior opportunity.
yes it was

jeemak
05-08-2023, 10:30 PM

yes it was

It's almost like BAD's origin story as a crusader against rule changes. Every year since then he's been in the shadows railing against rule changes day and night, rain, hail and shine.

He's more machine than man now......

D Mitchell
05-08-2023, 10:37 PM

Gary Dempsey and Peter Moore. 1979 Prelim. They lined up side by side and wrestled, like a boundary throw in.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 11:35 PM
It's almost like BAD's origin story as a crusader against rule changes. Every year since then he's been in the shadows railing against rule changes day and night, rain, hail and shine.

He's more machine than man now......

They changed that one back after working out it was a stupid change.

I am still working on reversing the Hocking rules. :D

jeemak
05-08-2023, 11:42 PM
They changed that one back after working out it was a stupid change.

I am still working on reversing the Hocking rules. :D

I imagine tirelessly as well, under the cover of darkness.

Bulldog4life
05-08-2023, 11:49 PM
Gary Dempsey and Peter Moore. 1979 Prelim. They lined up side by side and wrestled, like a boundary throw in.
That is the one.

bornadog
06-08-2023, 12:10 AM
That is the one.

Actually the Darcy one was a different rule change

JanLorMill
06-08-2023, 09:16 AM
Grabbing the ball straight from the ruck was deemed prior opportunity. Ridiculous.
Darcy was also part of the rules committee that made rucks start from a bigger circle so weren?t crashing into each other.

Bulldog4life
06-08-2023, 10:49 AM

Ok. Better memory than me.

AshMac
08-08-2023, 09:08 PM
thought Lobb was good on friday, his physique and general softness to compete suited the fast flowing one out entries into our 50. When he has the ball, you want him to take a shot if he's on or inside 50. If we can master that style of ball movement against the best teams he could be a 2-3 goals a game player.

Still maintain he is by far our second best ruckman

Happy Days
02-04-2024, 09:59 AM
So, has anyone else seen Rory’s partners recent TikTok activity?

Bulldog4life
02-04-2024, 10:01 AM

Too busy watching Rock talking to mama Rhodes.

hujsh
02-04-2024, 10:30 AM

Well I had to look

hujsh
02-04-2024, 10:33 AM
Looks like they're taking it well

https://www.tiktok.com/@lexiimary/video/7349689943830170882

azabob
02-04-2024, 10:50 AM
Looks like they're taking it well

https://www.tiktok.com/@lexiimary/video/7349689943830170882

For those dumb enough to be in an office environment can you provide some context?

hujsh
02-04-2024, 10:56 AM
She's just having some fun with the fact he's in the VFL in a couple of videos

Happy Days
02-04-2024, 10:59 AM
Too busy watching Rock talking to mama Rhodes.

In this forum we acknowledge the Tribal Chief.

mighty_west
02-04-2024, 03:54 PM
Well in fairness in regards to his partner, we would have worked hard sweet talking him selling the clubs dreams and pumping up his tyres massively to get him to sign, a year later he's actually hit some more than decent form (pre season and VFL) and can't get a game, whilst most of us (me included) prefer Darce getting a game ahead of him, you still have to look at situations from both sides.

jazzadogs
02-04-2024, 06:20 PM
Do we actually think Lobb cares whether he's playing AFL or VFL? He's getting paid either way.

Great to see him playing well and putting pressure on the selectors, but I don't think he's crying into his money.

Bulldog4life
02-04-2024, 06:28 PM
In this forum we acknowledge the Tribal Chief.

Where is the love button

EasternWest
02-04-2024, 06:39 PM
Do we actually think Lobb cares whether he's playing AFL or VFL? He's getting paid either way.

Great to see him playing well and putting pressure on the selectors, but I don't think he's crying into his money.

I watched the video, looked to me like they was just 'avin a bit of a laff.

Rocket Science
02-04-2024, 08:11 PM

An unkind soul might suggest Rory's been doing that for the bulk of his career and I am that soul.

Twodogs
02-04-2024, 08:56 PM

https://youtu.be/nKUGSlv0Bo8?si=aWFSn7lATskz4j-a

kruder
02-04-2024, 09:05 PM
There is a fine line between pleasure and pain.

I know we have paid up for the lobster but Timmy goes down and our list management team look genius. He is lengths ahead of Schache and Sweet for mine, I still think we get get significant value out of him.

EasternWest
02-04-2024, 09:17 PM
An unkind soul might suggest Rory's been doing that for bulk of his career and I am that soul.

One ticket to that train ride please.

macca
03-04-2024, 12:37 AM
I was going to write a statistically anaylsis on Lobb's career, but I am short of time.

if his a player on 800K, he should be dominating games like a Charlie Dixon type and just monstering sides with his size, agility and strength. His barely providing 50% of that output. His best year for Disposals was in 2019( high hit outs) and 2021( more time HF)

I like to compare him against Casboult ( probably on half of Lobbs contract, with 1 year contract renewal)

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--rory-lobb

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-gold-coast-suns--levi-casboult

Casboult has been in footy 2 years longer. Lobb has had 2 better season than Casboult , but I would pick Levi ahead of him , just on heart , effort and being a team player. If Lobb thinks he can stay in the team based on pathetic first half against Melbourne, he needs to seriously ask himself if his prepared to go 110% , in every effort, every game to take the team to a GF and perform on the day. That is every moment, every contest, he gets his hands on the ball and rips it away from the opposition.

Every time his up for a contract year his stats are up. The last 2 seasons at GWS where he was on estimate 800k. He had 1 good season at Freo ( where he kicked 4 against us , in a 36 goal season in 2022, his only time above 30). Yeah he can dominate at the VFL as the players there are part time.

The challenge for Lobb is, can he be the best ruck forward in the competition and keeps the likes of Darcy and even JUH out of team ?

hujsh
03-04-2024, 12:51 AM
I was going to write a statistically anaylsis on Lobb's career, but I am short of time.

if his a player on 800K, he should be dominating games like a Charlie Dixon type and just monstering sides with his size, agility and strength. His barely providing 50% of that output. His best year for Disposals was in 2019( high hit outs) and 2021( more time HF)

I like to compare him against Casboult ( probably on half of Lobbs contract, with 1 year contract renewal)

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--rory-lobb

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-gold-coast-suns--levi-casboult

Casboult has been in footy 2 years longer. Lobb has had 2 better season than Casboult , but I would pick Levi ahead of him , just on heart , effort and being a team player. If Lobb thinks he can stay in the team based on pathetic first half against Melbourne, he needs to seriously ask himself if his prepared to go 110% , in every effort, every game to take the team to a GF and perform on the day. That is every moment, every contest, he gets his hands on the ball and rips it away from the opposition.

Every time his up for a contract year his stats are up. The last 2 seasons at GWS where he was on estimate 800k. He had 1 good season at Freo ( where he kicked 4 against us , in a 36 goal season in 2022, his only time above 30). Yeah he can dominate at the VFL as the players there are part time.

The challenge for Lobb is, can he be the best ruck forward in the competition and keeps the likes of Darcy and even JUH out of team ?

But... he's not. He's closer to half of that.

GVGjr
13-04-2024, 10:12 AM
I think Lobb is a required player at the Dogs despite the rapid progress of Sam Darcy but there are a lot of media comments indicating we should shop him around at the end of the season or that he will request a trade.

What are your thoughts on Lobb going forward? Assuming English re-signs with us is Lobb still a required player or should he be shopped around?

1eyedog
13-04-2024, 11:15 AM
Shop English around and keep Lobb.

angelopetraglia
13-04-2024, 11:19 AM
I think Lobb is a required player at the Dogs despite the rapid progress of Sam Darcy but there are a lot of media comments indicating we should shop him around at the end of the season or that he will request a trade.

What are your thoughts on Lobb going forward? Assuming English re-signs with us is Lobb still a required player or should he be shopped around?

Why would Lobb stay? We should keep him as backup if the money isn't too much of an impact on our salary cap. But at his age he wants to play senior footy and there would be teams where he would be getting a game.

With the trajectory of Sam Darcy, I can't see how Lobb plays if both English and Darcy are fit. Whether we should be offering English a long, lucrative contract is a another key discussion point.

G-Mo77
13-04-2024, 11:24 AM

I'm letting English go and use Lobb/Darcy as our rucks going forward. English showed yet again he's not worth paying the most in our club. Worst case we can get cheap vet cover until Darcy is ready.

Mofra
13-04-2024, 11:48 AM
Shop English around and keep Lobb.
I'm actually on board with this.

English is the best 'link up' ruck in the competition but I think we're better served with two 50/50 rucks and although English might be the 'better' player, moving him on and going into 2025 with a Lobb/Darcy pairing. Use that cash to sign Marra & Darcy.

I don't think Lachie Smith is ready as a back-up so I'd look to pick up mature VFL ruck as support. Gardner isn't my idea of a plan B. We could probably rookie list someone like Sam Conway (assuming Tom Downie doesn't want to come back into the AFL system as he would be my first choice).

ledge
13-04-2024, 11:50 AM
Lobb is very under rated IMO he runs all day, he is very much the player who is assigned to blocking out the opposition so our forward can take marks, he is quite a selfless team player.
His ruck work is better than English when up against body work rucks.

1eyedog
13-04-2024, 11:57 AM
I'm actually on board with this.

English is the best 'link up' ruck in the competition but I think we're better served with two 50/50 rucks and although English might be the 'better' player, moving him on and going into 2025 with a Lobb/Darcy pairing. Use that cash to sign Marra & Darcy.

I don't think Lachie Smith is ready as a back-up so I'd look to pick up mature VFL ruck as support. Gardner isn't my idea of a plan B. We could probably rookie list someone like Sam Conway (assuming Tom Downie doesn't want to come back into the AFL system as he would be my first choice).

It's what I'd do as I think we'd benefit far more in a trade with what comes back our way.

westdog54
13-04-2024, 12:04 PM
Lobb's ankle was heavily iced last night at full time. Hopefully he doesn't have too long on the sidelines.

G-Mo77
13-04-2024, 12:13 PM
Lobb's ankle was heavily iced last night at full time. Hopefully he doesn't have too long on the sidelines.

Yeah. Didn't finish the game. Started the 2nd half but didn't last long.

bulldogtragic
27-04-2024, 11:11 PM
Gotta feeling this is going to be an expensive mistake.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-04-2024, 11:14 PM
Gotta feeling this is going to be an expensive mistake.

Hey did you know he has two more years to go!? Masterstroke... at least if English or JUH leave at the end of the year, we've still got tall coverage in Rory.

JanLorMill
28-04-2024, 12:15 AM
How likely is he going to be our no.1 ruck next year?

bornadog
28-04-2024, 12:18 AM
Hey did you know he has two more years to go!? Masterstroke... at least if English or JUH leave at the end of the year, we've still got tall coverage in Rory.

he can still be traded with his contract

Grantysghost
28-04-2024, 12:19 AM
he can still be traded with his contractOh god so we will have to pay him to play for Casey!

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2024, 12:20 AM
How likely is he going to be our no.1 ruck next year?

Probably the only chance he has of still being with us next year.

Been a big fail.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2024, 12:24 AM
Oh god so we will have to pay him to play for Casey!

While Freo giggle over the 2 x Pick 30 we paid.

bornadog
28-04-2024, 12:28 AM
We needed a second ruck, but should have thought about Darcy, Croft coming through.

Sweet 2023 playing with English would have worked, and Sweets trade value would have increased. Yeah Sweet not good around the ground, one year playing in the best 22, would have been better than Lobb's efforts