PDA

View Full Version : Welcome BACK to the Western Bulldogs Liam Jones

bornadog
13-10-2022, 10:22 AM
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2022/10/04/000f64a3-4520-4693-95db-b02c37d1928f/LiamJonesSignsWelcome-1920x1080-ART.jpg?width=952&height=592
Liam Jones is back where it all started, returning to the Western Bulldogs on a three-year deal as an unrestricted free agent.

The 31-year-old will call VU Whitten Oval home until at least the end of 2025, committing to the Club during the AFL Free Agency Period on Tuesday.

Jones joins the Dogs after spending seven seasons at Carlton, becoming a premier defender of the competition, after a five-year stint in the red, white and blue beginning in 2010.

The 199cm key defender averaged 12 touches and six marks per game in 2021 and was a member of Carlton’s leadership group for his past two seasons.

Taken at Pick 32 in the 2008 National Draft, the Tasmanian has played 161 games across his career and claimed a 2014 VFL Premiership with Footscray.

Jones was proud to pull on the red, white and blue once again.

“I’m just so grateful to have the opportunity to play at the highest level again,” Jones said.

“This Club gave me a chance all those years ago and I’m excited by the prospect of returning and helping this group continue to strive for success.”

“Having started my career at the Club, I feel a sense of belonging in the red, white and blue and can’t wait to meet all the players and staff over the coming weeks.

“I learnt plenty from my time at Carlton and hopefully I can bring some of that knowledge and experience over to the Dogs to help support the great players in our back half.”

Bulldogs General Manager – List & Recruiting, Sam Power couldn’t be more pleased to have Jones return to the fold at the Bulldogs.

“We’re thrilled to officially welcome Liam back into our colours,” Power said.

“Liam has some great relationships from his previous time at the Bulldogs, coupled with strong defensive attributes, we believe he will be a great fit for our football club.

“Having 161 games behind him, Liam brings a sense of leadership and stability to our back line, adding more depth in that area of the ground.”

bornadog
13-10-2022, 10:23 AM
A fresh thread for all Liam Jones discussions

MrMahatma
13-10-2022, 11:07 AM
Fresh thread for a fresh start.

Welcome back Jones-boy. You're going to be a star!

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2022, 05:03 PM
A fresh thread for all Liam Jones discussions

And abandoning, the Jones boy will be a star thread?

bornadog
27-10-2022, 04:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgDE0CnakAAAuEW?format=jpg&name=large

Scraggers
27-10-2022, 04:51 PM
I say it again ... This has the People's Beard (Mk2) written all over it !!

bulldogtragic
27-10-2022, 05:29 PM
Looks to be in ripping shape for a guy out the system a long while.

The club needs to live stream scratch matches. Jones vs Naughton could be up there with Neo vs Morpheous.

A back, turned forward. A forward turned back. And our best last two KPP’s who manically throw themselves into packs.

macca
27-10-2022, 09:08 PM
Is there talk of Liam turning on beast mode in the preseason yet ?

Welcome back, and I am glad you have completed your apprenticeship at Carlton.

Swoop
27-10-2022, 09:17 PM

I'd like to preorder a T-shirt please.

Happy Days
27-10-2022, 09:21 PM
Man he looks old as hell. Did he not go inside his entire stint in NQ.

1eyedog
27-10-2022, 09:35 PM

Lulz

1eyedog
27-10-2022, 09:36 PM

Have a look at the skin on his shoulders. My answer is a resounding no. He was sucking up every last particle.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
27-10-2022, 09:48 PM
I'd like to preorder a T-shirt please.
Me too

1eyedog
27-10-2022, 09:55 PM

It's a decent beard granted but, you know, thems big shoes to fill and that title can't be bandied about too readily.

Happy Days
27-10-2022, 09:57 PM
Hate to be negative again but that’s a clear dye job on the beard. Ben Hudson would never.

1eyedog
27-10-2022, 10:20 PM
You're being negative and that's 100% authentic. I can see the orange glow on the edges.

hujsh
27-10-2022, 10:52 PM
You're being negative and that's 100% authentic. I can see the orange glow on the edges.

Does that mean it's a dye job? I have dark brown hair but a lot of my beard is red and it's more noticeable as it grows out. Have some ginger genes in the family (don't worry everyone my partner is Asian so any kids we have will be safe from that cruel fate)

Axe Man
28-10-2022, 10:23 AM

A redhead from Tassie really doesn't belong in that climate.

MrMahatma
28-10-2022, 10:59 AM
Hate to be negative again but that’s a clear dye job on the beard. Ben Hudson would never.

While he's clearly a specimen, I don't think he's the kind of guy to take his looks that seriously that he'd die his beard. Looks legit to me.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2022, 11:15 AM
Thinking we need to drum up some WOOF related merch.

With Jones, Bont, Naughty, Baz, Marra and co we have plenty of material!

Sedat
28-10-2022, 11:46 AM
Thinking we need to drum up some WOOF related merch.

With Jones, Bont, Naughty, Baz, Marra and co we have plenty of material!
The Brennan Stack A-Go-Go tees haven't aged well.

On the flipside, Doogs Droogs are a bonafide collectors item.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2022, 12:11 PM

On the flipside, Doogs Droogs are a bonafide collectors item.

G’O’K Rocks items only accessible for the very rich now.

bornadog
28-10-2022, 03:02 PM

I painted prison bars across mine :D

Scraggers
28-10-2022, 03:11 PM
I painted prison bars across mine :D

Too soon ... too soon

Sedat
28-10-2022, 03:18 PM
Too soon ... too soon
Innocently joking about the cult status of former players who weren't particularly good is not trivialising the seriousness of the crimes committed by Stack. We can all walk and chew gum at the same time.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2022, 03:23 PM
Innocently joking about the cult status of former players who weren't particularly good is not trivialising the seriousness of the crimes committed by Stack. We can all walk and chew gum at the same time.

I always felt Jayden Schofield was slighted by Rocco not creating him a fan group.

Sedat
28-10-2022, 03:24 PM
I always felt Jayden Schofield was slighted by Rocco not creating him a fan group.
Boumann also had his devotees and would have been a worthy (if small) fan group. But not as small as the Ed Barlow bandwagon :D

Mofra
28-10-2022, 03:28 PM
I met with him to set up a group but he walked out on me

bulldogtragic
28-10-2022, 03:39 PM
I met with him to set up a group but he walked out on me

Out *!*!*!*!ing rageous.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2022, 03:42 PM
Boumann also had his devotees and would have been a worthy (if small) fan group. But not as small as the Ed Barlow bandwagon :D

From memory Boumann had even more devotees when Hawthorn picked him up. Fun times.

Shame Luke Goetz didn’t spend more time doing nothing around the club for longer. His ‘public service’ or George Constanza approach to being an AFEL Player was truly special.

Happy Days
28-10-2022, 03:45 PM
There are people on this very website that will swear to you that Dylan Addison was a good footballer.

EasternWest
28-10-2022, 04:26 PM
There are people on this very website that will swear to you that Dylan Addison was a good footballer.

What kind of idiot would say that?

He was WAY better than just "good".

Grantysghost
28-10-2022, 04:37 PM
What kind of idiot would say that?

He was WAY better than just "good".

His brother Dylan Removison was a lot beter.

Grantysghost
28-10-2022, 04:53 PM

You know when you think something and say it and then think you shouldn't have.

This is not one of those times, still super proud of it and will argue it's comedic value 'til the cows come home.

jazzadogs
28-10-2022, 05:18 PM

This is not one of those times, still super proud of it and will argue it's comedic value 'til the cows come home.

I dunno, Subtractisson was the missed opportunity for me.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2022, 05:53 PM

Just Remove your original statement.

Oh wait delete was probably the better word.

EasternWest
28-10-2022, 06:19 PM

It was ok.

I guess I prefer when you're white out angry, then we see some quality Michael Douglas falling down work.

mjp
28-10-2022, 09:09 PM

That isn't his name.

His NAME is Dylan F&%@'n Addison

EasternWest
28-10-2022, 09:19 PM
That isn't his name.

This boy. This man.

F'scary
28-10-2022, 10:52 PM
That isn't his name.

named by Matt Boyd.

GVGjr
28-10-2022, 11:46 PM
named by Matt Boyd.

I could be wrong here but didn't Johnno give him the DFA name in his first game presentation?

bornadog
29-10-2022, 12:30 AM

Dylan who :D

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 08:20 AM
I could be wrong here but didn't Johnno give him the DFA name in his first game presentation?

He did.

Dylan who :D

I'd play along but since you're not talking to me I'll wait until you are.

Dogs 24/7
29-10-2022, 10:02 AM

You might need to be the bigger man. :D

azabob
29-10-2022, 11:27 AM
He did.

How did you manage that?

F'scary
29-10-2022, 09:38 PM

That was just my memory. Maybe you are correct.

Bulldog4life
30-10-2022, 08:00 PM
He did.

C'mon this definitely is nets worthy. I'd fly down for that.

EasternWest
30-10-2022, 08:16 PM

No way, BAD would smash me.

Twodogs
30-10-2022, 08:28 PM

Hd definitely did. It was while he was presenting his jumper on the ground before his debut at the MCG.

This boy. This man.

EW has the quote right.

bornadog
31-10-2022, 12:05 AM

Trouble maker

bulldogtragic
31-10-2022, 11:23 AM
From a Fox Footy article last year as Jones retired:

…. Jones was eventually traded to the Blues in exchange for Pick 46 – the draft selection the Bulldogs used to acquire Caleb Daniel, who became a premiership player, All-Australian, best and fairest winner and one of the league’s best kicks. Meanwhile, Jones struggled to cement his spot in the Blues’ best 22 as a key forward, leading to extended stints in the VFL.

Then came a career-defining switch, with Jones moved from the forward line to the backline midway through 2017. And it paid massive dividends, clamping the likes of Tom Lynch, Taylor Walker, Jesse Hogan and Jarryd Roughead during the back-end of the season as spoiling, one-on-one strength and intercept marking became key features of his game.

By the end of 2021, Jones had developed a terrific rapport with Jacob Weitering and developed into one of the league’s best key backmen, ranking first for average intercept marks (4.2). Among tall defenders, he was ranked No. 1 for contested one-on-one loss rate (11.8%) – despite Carlton being ranked seventh-last for inside 50 differential – as well as sixth for intercept possessions (8.4) and seventh for spoils (7.3).

So after such a celebrated turnaround, Jones leaves a significant chasm.

F'scary
31-10-2022, 02:44 PM
I am now satisfied with this recruitment.

bornadog
03-11-2022, 09:06 PM
Good interview here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1244296/liam-jones-there-s-an-instant-connection-?videoId=1244296&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1667435927001)

Axe Man
12-01-2023, 01:46 PM
'Nowhere near a finished product': Ex-Blue has plenty more to give (https://www.afl.com.au/news/872014/-nowhere-near-a-finished-product-ex-blue-has-plenty-more-to-give)

After more than 12 months away from the game, Liam Jones is back where it all started at the Western Bulldogs

WHITTEN Oval looks immensely different to the last time Liam Jones parked his car at the Western Bulldogs' headquarters every day.

It's not just due to the $77 million redevelopment that has transformed the iconic suburban ground into a largescale worksite. The people have changed.

Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore and Jack Macrae are the only players still at the club since Jones departed for Carlton at the end of 2014, following 66 games across six seasons in Footscray.

Luke Beveridge, who signed a two-year contract extension late last year that locks him in at the kennel until the end of 2025, was still weeks away from joining the Western Bulldogs when Jones moved to Princes Park. He had just left Hawthorn and was yet to spend that single day as St Kilda's director of coaching.

But while plenty has changed, both on and off the field, some things inside the club haven't. Mark Kimpton is still the facility manager, still organising carpark passes among a myriad of daily tasks that keeps the club running smoothly. And Anissa Groves is still the beloved head trainer, still strapping Jones' ankles at 31 years of age, just like she was when he was a 17-year-old schoolboy.

The people matter to Jones.

After more than 12 months away from the game, the star defender is back from a season playing for Palm Beach Currumbin in the QAFL, back from the brink of being lost to the game, and back in the No.19 he wore in his first stint at the club.

Cody Weightman has moved to the iconic No.3, worn by club greats Ted Whitten, Arthur Olliver, Chris Grant and most recently Mitch Wallis. It didn't take the livewire forward long to approach Jones in the gym and suggest the defender wears his old number again.

"It is something that never crossed my mind because Cody is such a good player and has played so many good games in the No.19 – I didn't think it would be available," Jones told AFL.com.au.

"I would have been happy to wear any number, I just wanted the opportunity to play at the highest level again.

"To get the tap on the shoulder from Cody to say he was moving to No.3 and No.19 had opened back up. It's pretty cool to continue my footy here in the jumper I started in.

"To get back in it and potentially play 100 games in the jumper, and continue my career at the Bulldogs in the same jumper is pretty cool."

Beveridge also wore No.19 during his three-season, 31-game stint in the red, white and blue in the early 90s. The 2016 premiership winning coach has helped Jones transition back into life at the Western Bulldogs, life back in a full-time environment.

"He has been great through the whole process. Even before I signed here, he was very open and we started to build our relationship then," Jones said.

"It's more just been connecting, chatting and getting to know each other. I'm sure when training starts there will be a lot of learning, getting back into the system, he has been a great influence so far."

Jones' AFL career looked like it might be over when he chose not to comply with the AFL's vaccine mandate at the end of 2021, walking away from a lucrative deal and prominent role in Michael Voss' project at Carlton.

The intercept defender headed north to the Gold Coast and looked set to sail off into the sunset, before the AFL changed course and dropped the mandate midway through the year.

Now he has returned to where it all started, choosing the Dogs over several other suitors to sign a three-year deal as an unrestricted free agent in October.

"It is funny how things work out. I'm just super grateful the club is putting its trust in me to give the opportunity," he said.

"It's always been my dream to play AFL football so to continue that dream where it started is really special to me. I don't want to leave any stone unturned.

"I feel like every year since I moved to defence I've improved every year and I’ll continue wanting to improve. I'm nowhere near a finished product."

After struggling for multiple options in the key posts at either end in 2022, the Western Bulldogs now have depth that will cause selection headaches next year if everyone is available for selection.

While Alex Keath found himself out of the best 22 at times in the second half of the season, the former Crow has been reliable in defence, Ryan Gardner produced a career best campaign and Sam Darcy showed he is the future.

Despite a year out of the game, and the fact he will turn 32 before the 2023 season starts, Jones feels like he has quickly adjusted to the speed of training, laying the foundations the year with an impressive block ahead of Christmas.

"I feel really great. I thought the tempo and intensity of training (might take some time to adjust to), but in saying that I feel like I've stayed in really good shape, kept myself really fit," he said.

"I touched base with the weights coach and running coach here, so prior to pre-season training starting I was going for about three months. I feel like I'm in as good as shape as I’ve ever been in."

Jones is back at the Western Bulldogs, back in the No.19 and back to finish what he started as a teenager in 2008.

GVGjr
17-01-2023, 06:00 PM
After reading the Saints fans comments about Cordy is anyone overly concerned with the 3 year deal with Jones?

To me he has rocked up with a very professional mindset, he has formed a friendship with Lobb and they travel into the training sessions together plus he always seems to have a kick to kick and a chat with Arty Jones at the start of the sessions at Skinner reserve.

I get that given his age and the fact he missed a full season it may not be smooth sailing but the early signs are very positive from my perspective.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-01-2023, 06:07 PM
After reading the Saints fans comments about Cordy is anyone overly concerned with the 3 year deal with Jones?

To me he has rocked up with a very professional mindset, he has formed a friendship with Lobb and they travel into the training sessions together plus he always seems to have a kick to kick and a chat with Arty Jones at the start of the sessions at Skinner reserve.

I get that given his age and the fact he missed a full season it may not be smooth sailing but the early signs are very positive from my perspective.

Not from my end.

Players with FAR less ability get 2-3 year deals, and over the years we've been as guilty as any for handing out inflated contracts to players who weren't up to the level. We know what Jones brings, in a position of need, and he's a leader. I'm plenty fine with a 3-year deal.

bornadog
17-01-2023, 06:09 PM

Not worried about the three years because we spread his salary over the three. We were going to give him two years, but he wanted more money as I understand, so negotiations ended up with 3 years

bulldogtragic
17-01-2023, 07:37 PM

Was more concerned about not getting any compo from the AFEL makey upey.

Pretty happy with the nothing we got from the reports. Pretty clear winners as of today with Saints/AFEL.

azabob
22-01-2023, 11:52 AM

Hugely concerned.

For mine Jones is more athlete than footballer.

He has a poor tank and will need to spend most of his time in D50 as he will struggle to transition back.

If we don’t improve our defensive mindset all over the ground, Jones like our other defenders will struggle.

Having said all that, I’m ok taking the risk in recruiting him, and the 3rd year would’ve been needed to get him over the line.

1eyedog
22-01-2023, 12:56 PM
Hugely concerned.

He has a poor tank and will need to spend most of his time in D50 as he will struggle to transition back.

If we don’t improve our defensive mindset all over the ground, Jones like our other defenders will struggle.

Having said all that, I’m ok taking the risk in recruiting him, and the 3rd year would’ve been needed to get him over the line.

Disagree with most of this. There is no need for Jones to leave defensive 50 and he's done a dozen preseasons his tank is fine for the role he'll play. He has elite decision making knowing when to help out as third man up and when he is well placed to intercept.

He was in the top handful of full backs in 2021 and having a year off to let his body recover will only add to his longevity I believe. He'll be way more effective than most think and will help us enormously. He's immediately our best key back.

Agree with you that we needed to offer 3 years. I don't really mind if that's that kind of deal we needed to put forward to entice him back. He was the best established key back that was available and I'm more than happy to pay him the 3 to get two good years out of him.

I spoke to him at Skinner a few weeks ago and he is feeling and looking a million bucks and has a huge appetite to make a difference.

mjp
22-01-2023, 01:44 PM
Hugely concerned.

Me too. He's not young, hasn't played for a long time and if it goes wrong...

I totally get the counter argument, just not sure what contribution we will be hoping for from a 35 year old KPP in 2025. Anyway, what's done is done. Go Jonesy!

bornadog
22-01-2023, 02:52 PM
Me too. He's not young, hasn't played for a long time and if it goes wrong...

I totally get the counter argument, just not sure what contribution we will be hoping for from a 35 year old KPP in 2025. Anyway, what's done is done. Go Jonesy!

One thing - Cost is Zero (or place on list), upside bigger than downside.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-01-2023, 05:55 PM
I honestly not concerned at all. I would be rapt if he played 16 games and we managed him to be cherry ripe for finals. We gave the luxury of rotating Jones, Keith, Lobster, Gards, Darcy. With this list we should win the flag this year. The following two years it’s back up and development that he will share while Gardner and Darcy take the mantle

GVGjr
22-01-2023, 06:06 PM
If we can afford to keep a list spot open like we have we aren't that tight for them so no real problem there.
If it's essentially Jones for Cordy I think we are ahead in that scenario.
Spreading the deal over 3 years shouldn't stretch the salary cap.

But the questions are on his durability and the fact he is not vaccinated which will be answered over the course of the next year or two.

Stevo
22-01-2023, 11:25 PM
Hugely concerned.

The reports might be varied on his running capacity at the moment but we arent going to expect to be running up the wing like the Dale or Richards dashes are we? Intercepting and one on one contests will be more of his one wood and chipping the ball out to the runners.
Some concerns but not huge ones for me.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2023, 01:40 PM
If we can afford to keep a list spot open like we have we aren't that tight for them so no real problem there.

But the questions are on his durability and the fact he is not vaccinated which will be answered over the course of the next year or two.

I know you are just highlighting a point G but I really don't see what the question / issue is with this personally or professionally. The former is opinion based, the latter is factual unless government restrictions are at some point reinforced. Which IF they are, then we all have far bigger issues to deal with than this.

GVGjr
23-01-2023, 01:58 PM
I think it exposes him to a longer recovery period if he does get it by being vax resistant.

Grantysghost
23-01-2023, 02:50 PM
I think it exposes him to a longer recovery period if he does get it by being vax resistant.

Bleach though.

hujsh
23-01-2023, 03:25 PM
Bleach though.

ivermectin way better. Got rid of my worms too.

Mofra
23-01-2023, 04:31 PM
Hugely concerned.

I was far more concerned previously than I am now.
I'm still wary of the 3 year deal, but how many fringe runners do we keep on the list for a year too long? Jones is at very least a position of need and if we get a dozen games out of him this year and in 2024, that gives us time to find a KPD and develop Buss at the same time.

Dry Rot
23-01-2023, 10:59 PM
I know you are just highlighting a point G but I really don't see what the question / issue is with this personally or professionally. The former is opinion based, the latter is factual unless government restrictions are at some point reinforced. Which IF they are, then we all have far bigger issues to deal with than this.

I wouldn't be worried about Jones.

According to the recent Cleveland Clinic study of 50k healthcare workers, the rest of the team is 3.8 times more likely to get Covid than Jones.

Dry Rot
23-01-2023, 11:01 PM

I am a bit confused. Was it a three year deal, or a two year deal with an option for another year?

hujsh
24-01-2023, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't be worried about Jones.

According to the recent Cleveland Clinic study of 50k healthcare workers, the rest of the team is 3.8 times more likely to get Covid than Jones.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2023/jan/20/ron-desantis/gov-ron-desantis-falsely-claims-bivalent-booster-v/

And probably the more important aspect rather than if a player gets covid.

Early CDC research (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm715152e2.htm?s_cid=mm715152e2_w) shows that people who got the booster were 84% less likely to be hospitalized from COVID-19.

GVGjr
24-01-2023, 07:58 AM
Please lets not get too focused on Covid

EasternWest
24-01-2023, 04:35 PM
Please lets not get too focused on Covid

Why would we focus on something that's not real anyway (I kid, I kid don't ban me).

Back on track: I have zero concerns about Liam or his contract right now. It was definitely the right decision.

It could go to pot any second, but then again Naughton could blow out his knees any second too (touch wood), but if Liam can get near to doing what he was doing for Carlton then he'll make our backline instantly better.

I'm actually most interested to see how much his inclusion helps our most improved player, Ryan Gardner.

azabob
24-01-2023, 04:37 PM
Why would we focus on something that's not real anyway (I kid, I kid don't ban me).

Back on track: I have zero concerns about Liam or his contract right now. It was definitely the right decision.

It could go to pot any second, but then again Naughton could blow out his knees any second too (touch wood), but if Liam can get near to doing what he was doing for Carlton then he'll make our backline instantly better.

I'm actually most interested to see how much his inclusion helps our most improved player, Ryan Gardner.

Seriously EW. take yourself to the nets. Seriously....

azabob
24-01-2023, 04:39 PM
Seems that the Liam Jones topic is much broader than just good ol woof.

OLD DOG – NEW TRICKS
HB MEYERS·JANUARY 24, 2023
AFL SEASON 2023
Every year, there are stories that are lost within the hustle and bustle of the preseason and all the action out on the track. An injury, a new face that is “flying” at training, time trial wins, and the hopes and expectations of teams in general tend to dominate headlines as we inch closer to the start of a new season.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2023/2023/01/24/old-dog-new-tricks/

EasternWest
24-01-2023, 04:41 PM
Seriously EW. take yourself to the nets. Seriously....

I'll need a sparring partner Aza. Could you be my man?

I'm not sure whether you're angry at me for my obvious sarcasm or my earnest response. Either way let's punch it out.

Grantysghost
24-01-2023, 04:47 PM

Gardner sucks though yeah (am I doing it right?)

bornadog
24-01-2023, 04:52 PM

nah Gardiner sucks (lions :D )

Grantysghost
24-01-2023, 04:52 PM
Seems that the Liam Jones topic is much broader than just good ol woof.

OLD DOG – NEW TRICKS
HB MEYERS·JANUARY 24, 2023
AFL SEASON 2023
Every year, there are stories that are lost within the hustle and bustle of the preseason and all the action out on the track. An injury, a new face that is “flying” at training, time trial wins, and the hopes and expectations of teams in general tend to dominate headlines as we inch closer to the start of a new season.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2023/2023/01/24/old-dog-new-tricks/

Does anyone proof read this stuff. So many spelling errors. /ocd

EasternWest
24-01-2023, 04:53 PM

Nets.

bornadog
24-01-2023, 04:58 PM
Nets.

I will watch from here:

https://i2.wp.com/stadiumbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Yarraville_Oval_stand_1a-scaled.jpg?fit=2560%2C1707&ssl=1

1eyedog
24-01-2023, 05:28 PM
I will watch from here:

https://i2.wp.com/stadiumbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Yarraville_Oval_stand_1a-scaled.jpg?fit=2560%2C1707&ssl=1

Pad up ya wimp.

bornadog
24-01-2023, 06:00 PM
Pad up ya wimp.

Haha, not my fight - watching EW and Aza, should be fun

Grantysghost
24-01-2023, 06:04 PM
Nets.

I still have my Dean Jones County so...

Pre

Pared.

1eyedog
24-01-2023, 06:07 PM
I still have my Dean Jones County so...

Pre

Pared.

sounds like a good nicker

Grantysghost
24-01-2023, 06:09 PM
sounds like a good nicker

The edges are worn.... ;)

azabob
24-01-2023, 07:06 PM
I'll need a sparring partner Aza. Could you be my man?

I'm not sure whether your angry at me for my obvious sarcasm or my earnest response. Either way let's punch it out.

I’m not a superstitious person, but gee, some words should not ever be written down or spoken out loud. Tempting fate with #33

1eyedog
24-01-2023, 07:19 PM
A redhead from Tassie really doesn't belong in that climate.

Most redheads have strong roots tied deep into climates in Northern Europe, reminiscent of the Tasmanian climate.

I love redheads and have a few in my footy team. Not always the best players but you can build an 'us a against them' gameplan based on pressure and DILLIGAF.

EasternWest
24-01-2023, 07:43 PM
I’m not a superstitious person, but gee, some words should not ever be written down or spoken out loud. Tempting fate with #33

I'm trying to goad you into fighting me you chicken.

jeemak
25-01-2023, 12:38 AM
If Jones could become one of the better defenders in the competition during his time at Carlton under their one way structure then I don't see him having an issue within ours, particularly if we rebound to our 2021 standards in defending the ground.

As for his vaccination status and ability to deal with COVID infections, using macro trends to determine how specific cases may deal with things is just as silly as using specific cases to counter arguments around macro trends.

doggies ftw
28-01-2023, 02:26 PM
The flow on effect to our whole defence from having Jones take the number 1 forward is going to be huge, he’s a gun at his best so if he gets anywhere near there it’ll completely open up Gardner and Keath in particulars games - Keath having already slimmed down as we know. Gardner gets the 2nd/3rd tall, Keath gets to play a bit looser which is his natural role. Then when Darcy gets his turn he also gets to ease in as a 3rd tall and focus on his ridiculous intercept marking ability (which will be unmatched league wide)

The form of Jones is key in all this!

Grantysghost
28-01-2023, 02:30 PM
The flow on effect to our whole defence from having Jones take the number 1 forward is going to be huge, he’s a gun at his best so if he gets anywhere near there it’ll completely open up Gardner and Keath in particulars games - Keath having already slimmed down as we know. Gardner gets the 2nd/3rd tall, Keath gets to play a bit looser which is his natural role. Then when Darcy gets his turn he also gets to ease in as a 3rd tall and focus on his ridiculous intercept marking ability (which will be unmatched league wide)

The form of Jones is key in all this!

For mine he's a future ruck forward but considering how (somehow it's a miracle) we have a glut of tall forwards it's logical to have Sam in defence.

Totally agree DFTW, there's a lot to like about our defence this season.

bulldogtragic
04-03-2023, 08:42 PM
From a Fox Footy article last year as Jones retired:

…. Jones was eventually traded to the Blues in exchange for Pick 46 – the draft selection the Bulldogs used to acquire Caleb Daniel, who became a premiership player, All-Australian, best and fairest winner and one of the league’s best kicks. Meanwhile, Jones struggled to cement his spot in the Blues’ best 22 as a key forward, leading to extended stints in the VFL.

Then came a career-defining switch, with Jones moved from the forward line to the backline midway through 2017. And it paid massive dividends, clamping the likes of Tom Lynch, Taylor Walker, Jesse Hogan and Jarryd Roughead during the back-end of the season as spoiling, one-on-one strength and intercept marking became key features of his game.

By the end of 2021, Jones had developed a terrific rapport with Jacob Weitering and developed into one of the league’s best key backmen, ranking first for average intercept marks (4.2). Among tall defenders, he was ranked No. 1 for contested one-on-one loss rate (11.8%) – despite Carlton being ranked seventh-last for inside 50 differential – as well as sixth for intercept possessions (8.4) and seventh for spoils (7.3).

So after such a celebrated turnaround, Jones leaves a significant chasm.

Hasn’t missed a beat…

bornadog
04-03-2023, 09:07 PM
Was terrific today

alwaysadog
04-03-2023, 09:32 PM
Re: Welcome BACK to the Western Bulldogs Liam Jones
Was terrific today

Too early to be too definitive, but agree with you about today's performance.

We looked great having someone anticipating attacks and filling them in.

bulldogtragic
04-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Essentially swapped in Jones for Cordy via free agency. Got to be feeling pretty good being Sam Power today.

MrMahatma
04-03-2023, 10:24 PM
Tore up some pretty average opponents. Really hope he keeps that kind of form against the top teams. Looks like he might just be what we all hoped he’d be.

jeemak
04-03-2023, 11:30 PM
He looked great out there today.

Needs support so that he doesn't have to kick it, not as much support as Bruce does, but support nonetheless.

It's good to have him back, seems mature and able to stay out of his own head when things aren't perfect which is something he struggled with early in his career. The head doesn't drop, the shoulders don't slump.

Go_Dogs
04-03-2023, 11:40 PM
Sensational today. Won’t get it that easy every week though…