PDA

View Full Version : Thought he might end up a good player...champion?

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2022, 04:16 PM
Ok, so in the lead up to the Bulldogs 2022 first final against Freo we covered cult figure bulldogs but now I'm interested in people nominating the players they really thought were going to end up really good players for us - perhaps not champions, but if you thought someone was going to be a champion let us know.

This is a safe space, and other members should not be ridiculed for thinking player X could make it, or become a star.

I will nominate Scott Taylor

Played 1 game for us in 1996 - Id been watching him intently in the VFL from the first year we got him, and he was a small forward who was talented overhead, had a good spring, jumped on backs and good at snapping a goal. Played some really exciting VFL footy at the start of his career and I thought he was going to end up a good senior player.

Ended up having a long career with Willy, but also

Who were yours? The guys you thought were gonna, coulda, shoulda

GVGjr
14-10-2022, 04:22 PM
I had high hopes for Hugh Reimers. We needed a tall defender, we pulled off a complicated trade with Fremantle who had pre-listed him and he joined us with Brad Wira while we lost Kym Koster.

He was tall, mobile and nice skills but kept getting short term injuries that kept halting his progress.

He was in the wine business and still is and I don't think footy was a high enough priority for him.

F'scary
14-10-2022, 04:37 PM
Brodie Moles. Burly forward/mid. Good first season and then just could not get a game except to be first dropped.

Avoid the rush
14-10-2022, 04:43 PM
I had high hopes for Hugh Reimers. We needed a tall defender, we pulled off a complicated trade with Fremantle who had pre-listed him and he joined us with Brad Wira while we lost Kym Koster.

He was tall, mobile and nice skills but kept getting short term injuries that kept halting his progress.

He was in the wine business and still is and I don't think footy was a high enough priority for him.

I can remember a kid called Rod Coutts, in the early 60's, I think was from Kaniva or around there, and his family had a farm up that way. He looked as though he would be anything I thought, but ended up going back to work on the farm. I recall him kicking a lazy half a dozen one day, then we never heard from him again.

bornadog
14-10-2022, 04:48 PM
I actually thought Tim Walsh would be the tall forward we were looking for. His first kick in AFL: footy he kicked a goal, but the umpire called it back.

Career:

1 game, 3 marks, 1 kick 2 handballs :(

hujsh
14-10-2022, 04:52 PM
Everitt looked a special player for that one year off half back.

Ol' microphone head looked to have real talent too

Bulldog4life
14-10-2022, 05:03 PM
I can remember a kid called Rod Coutts, in the early 60's, I think was from Kaniva or around there, and his family had a farm up that way. He looked as though he would be anything I thought, but ended up going back to work on the farm. I recall him kicking a lazy half a dozen one day, then we never heard from him again.

You stole my thunder. Thinking about him too. Played 1963 to 1964. Kicked 22 goals and no behinds. An unusual stat.

SquirrelGrip
14-10-2022, 05:15 PM
I thought....

Adrian Campbell up forward was going to be our best full forward since Beasley.

At the other end of the ground, Tom Williams looked like an athletic defensive pillar that we'd never seen the like of.

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2022, 05:15 PM

Definitely belongs in those tall prospects we had high hopes for

But did he show much when we actually got him to the club?

I thought he always looked a state league player - not quite athletic enough etc

But maybe he broke a leg early in his time with us, that knocked him out for 10 and he just never really going going

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2022, 05:19 PM
I thought....

Adrian Campbell up forward was going to be our best full forward since Beasley.

He really had some skills Campbell - mobile, good on both sides

Was it just a lack of intensity that led to his downfall?

Seemed to ooze talent and potential

GVGjr
14-10-2022, 05:20 PM
Definitely belongs in those tall prospects we had high hopes for

But did he show much when we actually got him to the club?

I thought he always looked a state league player - not quite athletic enough etc

But maybe he broke a leg early in his time with us, that knocked him out for 10 and he just never really going going

I saw him when he first arrived and he was moving around the ground and taking high marks and thought he's tall enough for a KP but could also play off a flank. His kicking skills looked solid.
The injuries played a big factor in his struggles.

EasternWest
14-10-2022, 05:22 PM
Ok, so in the lead up to the Bulldogs 2022 first final against Freo we covered cult figure bulldogs but now I'm interested in people nominating the players they really thought were going to end up really good players for us - perhaps not champions, but if you thought someone was going to be a champion let us know.

This is a safe space, and other members should not be ridiculed for thinking player X could make it, or become a star.

Played 1 game for us in 1996 - Id been watching him intently in the VFL from the first year we got him, and he was a small forward who was talented overhead, had a good spring, jumped on backs and good at snapping a goal. Played some really exciting VFL footy at the start of his career and I thought he was going to end up a good senior player.

I remember one discussion with a person who may or may not have started this thread about how bullish he was that Ayce Cordy was going to be a star.

Rocket Science
14-10-2022, 05:23 PM
Dad Collins. Our heir apparent to Brian Lake in the making.

I can still remember him hauling down a rampaging Jonathan Patton on the boundary line in his sad, solitary game for the club.

Talk about being blinded by wishful thinking.

hujsh
14-10-2022, 05:34 PM
I remember one discussion with a person who may or may not have started this thread about how bullish he was that Ayce Cordy was going to be a star.

I think narking should be allowed for this thread. Call out bad takes, did up old posts and threads. Let it all out

EasternWest
14-10-2022, 05:36 PM
I think narking should be allowed for this thread. Call out bad takes, did up old posts and threads. Let it all out

Ahem

mjp
14-10-2022, 05:36 PM
Dad Collins. Our heir apparent to Brian Lake in the making.

Vic Country waltzed to victory in the National Champs on the back of Josh Schache kicking goals and Kieran Collins stopping them (with the help of some bloke called Weitering). I reckon Rhys Matheison was in that same team...

I am reluctant to go back and look at the posts around that time but I THINK I want to say "Don't say I didn't warn you!"

Happy Days
14-10-2022, 05:39 PM
I thought Lukas Webb was going to be pretty much what Bailey Dale is now. Thought Hrovat was going to be really good too.

I also burned a lot of bandwidth defending Jarrad Grant but feel vindicated enough by his Koschitzke-like run as the best player in the world for a month in 2013.

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2022, 05:52 PM

Did everything but the actual big man stuff well - amazing below his knees, agile etc, but didnt put on size or do the real bash and crash stuff well enough - a lesson for those of us in the cheap seats

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2022, 05:54 PM

So at the end of this friend nobody has a friend left?

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2022, 05:56 PM
Vic Country waltzed to victory in the National Champs on the back of Josh Schache kicking goals and Kieran Collins stopping them (with the help of some bloke called Weitering). I reckon Rhys Matheison was in that same team...

I am reluctant to go back and look at the posts around that time but I THINK I want to say "Don't say I didn't warn you!"

Clayton Oliver also in that Vic Country team I presume

Kieran seemed a classic case of a very strong young man, built like a 25 year old 18, being very hard for kids to play against, but not having the agility or athleticism to do it at the top level

chef
14-10-2022, 06:06 PM
Clayton Oliver also in that Vic Country team I presume

Kieran seemed a classic case of a very strong young man, built like a 25 year old 18, being very hard for kids to play against, but not having the agility or athleticism to do it at the top level

Clarry didn't get picked for Vic Country

hujsh
14-10-2022, 06:16 PM
Ahem

I'm aware. I was encouraging more of it/advocating for you not to be called a nark for this thread

hujsh
14-10-2022, 06:17 PM
So at the end of this friend nobody has a friend left?

We'll all be better friends

Jeanette54
14-10-2022, 06:25 PM
I seem to remember a young centre half forward prospect, Richard Hargraves. Looked like he had the goods, and pretty much won a game for us at the cattery off his own boot. Hugely popular with our fans, but eventually disappeared quietly into the ether.

KT31
14-10-2022, 06:27 PM

Great kids too, was our apprentice at the time, we were all very excited when he got named in the senior side.

bornadog
14-10-2022, 06:39 PM
Who can forget the debut of Georgiades, yes Dad to the Port player. 8 goals on debut, an injury a couple more goals and then disappeared.

jazzadogs
14-10-2022, 07:08 PM
When we drafted Cam Faulkner, I was telling all our mates "we've got the next Andrew McLeod" because I read it in Inside Football or something.

Only 300 games and 2 norms shy of matching him.

AshMac
14-10-2022, 07:48 PM
I had high hopes for Tom Williams m. I remember him as a competitive beast one week against Buddy and thought he’d be a star.

Got to the point i didn’t want him near the ball as I was scared he’d get injured.

GVGjr
14-10-2022, 08:09 PM
When we drafted Cam Faulkner, I was telling all our mates "we've got the next Andrew McLeod" because I read it in Inside Football or something.

Only 300 games and 2 norms shy of matching him.

Was that mantel given too him by James Fantasia who was the recruiting manager of Adelaide at the time?

From memory everything was a bit out of whack for us in that draft.
We thought we had found a gem than other teams weren't aware of in Andrew Mackie and considered taking him at pick 4 (Tim Walsh) but we were confident he would be there at 17 which was the Faulkner pick. Geelong scouted him in the state trail and jumped on him at pick 7. Walsh who was a good mark in the U18 level couldn't transition that at the AFL level.

I can also recall calling into whoever had Shifter Sheehan on the radio and asking him about Will Minson because I could find nothing on and instead of saying he didn't know anything about him he blurted out some nondescript rubbish that made no sense.
He had no idea he was a ruckman.

Hotdog60
14-10-2022, 08:13 PM
I thought Shane Loveless was going to be the next best forward in the comp.

EasternWest
14-10-2022, 08:15 PM
I'm aware. I was encouraging more of it/advocating for you not to be called a nark for this thread

Thanks for having my back

azabob
14-10-2022, 08:47 PM
I seem to remember a young centre half forward prospect, Richard Hargraves. Looked like he had the goods, and pretty much won a game for us at the cattery off his own boot. Hugely popular with our fans, but eventually disappeared quietly into the ether.

Daniel?

jazzadogs
14-10-2022, 09:15 PM
A mate and I were reminiscing about Kieran McGuinness the other day. 3 goals on debut, I was a young fan who was very confident he was gonna be a star.

I don't think I was alone in thinking Cam Wight was going to be a 10 year CHB for a short while.

Happy Days
14-10-2022, 10:24 PM
A mate and I were reminiscing about Kieran McGuinness the other day. 3 goals on debut, I was a young fan who was very confident he was gonna be a star.

I don't think I was alone in thinking Cam Wight was going to be a 10 year CHB for a short while.

McGuinness is the first player I can remember thinking was really bad if that counts.

hujsh
14-10-2022, 10:30 PM

Tall and quick enough = sure success as a defender

boydogs
14-10-2022, 10:31 PM
Not Bulldogs but Kent Butcher took some of the best speccies I’ve ever seen. Career didn’t last long though. I guess as a 9 year old most impressed by high marking, I didn’t have a full appreciation of the game lol

Sedat
14-10-2022, 10:40 PM
Ed Barlow. It was never a big bandwagon but I rode that train until the wheels fell off.

Jeanette54
14-10-2022, 11:50 PM
Daniel?

OOps, sorry. Thankyou Azabob.

Grantysghost
15-10-2022, 01:05 AM
Daniel?
That’s him, played for Freo (3 games) then the sanfl after us. How good was the kit. (Found on Facebook)

https://i.postimg.cc/bNNN1SKx/A6-F1-D6-B9-C3-B3-400-E-BC5-D-9-F718-B2-F6-FE7.jpg (https://postimages.org/) https://i.postimg.cc/QdF8yGNV/F6507-ADD-893-D-4-F3-A-83-CA-683-A5-AFAF7-B0.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

The bulldog tragician
15-10-2022, 01:08 AM
OOps, sorry. Thankyou Azabob.

Terry Wallace once said he reminded him of a young Dermott Brereton so we’re not the only ones who get it wrong

jazzadogs
15-10-2022, 02:00 AM
McGuinness is the first player I can remember thinking was really bad if that counts.

I think there was also a link to my high school so there was a glow of familiarity. Don't judge me.

Twodogs
15-10-2022, 04:02 AM
He really had some skills Campbell - mobile, good on both sides

Was it just a lack of intensity that led to his downfall?

Seemed to ooze talent and potential

Campbell did his knee in a reserves final at VFL park in 1990. They took him to the Monash Medical Centre where they said the trauma to his knee was so bad that at first they compared it to the damage that's done in a fairly horrific motorcycle accident. The fact that he even got back to play senior league football was nothing short of a miracle and a huge mark to his hard work and determination. He never played in the seniors with us again and we traded him to Melbourne at the end of 1991 for a tough midfielder called Luke Beveridge.

Campbell played two games with Melbourne and kicked five goals at the end of 1992. There's no doubt that he could play but he missed all of 1993 with wonky ankles and was delisted at the end of the season.

His daughter Georgia Campbell was drafted by Melbourne last year as a father/daughter recruit even though he played 30 games with us and only 2 with Melbourne. She hasn't played a game with them yet

GVGjr
15-10-2022, 11:20 AM
I'm going to claim this one as my own. When Rohan Smith first arrived at the club I was super impressed with him not so much the mega mullet. We used him as a half forward and mid in the reserves and his kicking skills and pace really stood out. I was going to footy with a mate who just couldn't see it in him but he had a tendency to rate the scrappers more than the gifted types.
Of course Smith has a wonderful career with us as a player and now as a coach but the first time I saw him being promoted to the seniors team was for a game at the Skinner reserve for a practice game and he came off the bench. When he played his first senior game he got rid of the mullet. Happy to claim him even though I probably have no right to. :)

Mofra
15-10-2022, 11:27 AM
He also kicked 3 on Brian Harris on an intra-club. I thought he'd make it, just never could cover enough ground at AFL level.

I thought Jayden Schofield would be a long term player for us. Arguably would have, had he not run back to WA.
I also liked Tim Callan and thought he'd play more football for us than he did. Genuine hard bastard

Swoop
15-10-2022, 12:12 PM
I remember being a staunch defender of Liam Jones for a long period of time. I always thought he had what it took to lead our forward line but he never quite put it all together. I'm glad he's been able to come back and hopefully finish on a real high in our colours.

Sam Power was another that I was big believer in. He carved out a solid career but never quite reached the heights that we'd hoped for. I always felt there was another level to his game which he showed in small patches but he tended to take safe options. I always wanted him to play with more dare and use his kick as a weapon. Neither were failures but didn't go on to be the champions I'd hoped for.

Fortunately, they both still have the ability to become champions!

Twodogs
15-10-2022, 01:42 PM
I'm going to claim this one as my own. When Rohan Smith first arrived at the club I was super impressed with him not so much the mega mullet. We used him as a half forward and mid in the reserves and his kicking skills and pace really stood out. I was going to footy with a mate who just couldn't see it in him but he had a tendency to rate the scrappers more than the gifted types.
Of course Smith has a wonderful career with us as a player and now as a coach but the first time I saw him being promoted to the seniors team was for a game at the Skinner reserve for a practice game and he came off the bench. When he played his first senior game he got rid of the mullet. Happy to claim him even though I probably have no right to. :)

I remember him wearing #31 and kicking a goal from the boundary line about 50 metres out at the Barkly street end v St Kilda in his first game at Whitten oval.

I'd known how good he was for years. He grew up around the corner and everyone's mum wanted the rest of us to be like "more like little Rohan"

whythelongface
15-10-2022, 09:35 PM
I always thought Wayde Skipper would make it. He teased us a few times with some good games where he kicked multiple goals. If I recall a game against the Saints was one. Unfortunately he was too inconsistent and he never really got going and faded away as fast as Liz Truss’ prime ministership.

F'scary
15-10-2022, 09:55 PM
I always thought Wayde Skipper would make it. He teased us a few times with some good games where he kicked multiple goals. If I recall a game against the Saints was one. Unfortunately he was too inconsistent and he never really got going and faded away as fast as Liz Truss’ prime ministership.

I used to look forward to him playing because you got to yell out "Skip-per" like Gilligan did.

macca
16-10-2022, 03:23 AM
SKIPPER i recalled he kicked 5 goals once and then got into a terrible onfield collision of some sort and ended up in Hospital with a punctured lung

He never seem to recover his form and was delisted short after. The fact that Hawks picked him up in the PSD and played him in a dozen games during their run up to the finals era shows he had talent .

He was one i hoped would make it and become the next Corey McKernan

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 10:14 AM
Skipper I always remember for that free kick that wasn’t there v the Demons at the G that cost us the game.

Think it was Jeff White that got it and kicked the winning goal, bloody Melbourne.

Go_Dogs
16-10-2022, 11:12 AM
Webby is one for me.

A clean user, good decision maker and read the play well. He had all the tools but unfortunately never quite got going after his first (?) season where he showed a lot of promise. Probably should’ve been left to develop as a back flanker…

BornInDroopSt'54
16-10-2022, 12:06 PM
Shane Loveless. Nuff said.

Happy Days
16-10-2022, 05:42 PM
Skipper I always remember for that free kick that wasn’t there v the Demons at the G that cost us the game.

Think it was Jeff White that got it and kicked the winning goal, bloody Melbourne.

Yeah but then karma got White in the finals when Steven King punted him in the face. His brain is still scrambled from that judging by his instagram account.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-10-2022, 06:25 PM
I used to look forward to him playing because you got to yell out "Skip-per" like Gilligan did.

Also Gilbee little buddy, Maryanne (Jordan McNahon), Kingsley Hunter the Third

EasternWest
16-10-2022, 06:47 PM
His brain is still scrambled from that judging by his instagram account.

I just looked it up. I can't really hate on it because he's aiming for positivity, but it is certainly odd.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 08:12 PM
The next Andrew McLeod.

Sedat
16-10-2022, 08:33 PM
The next Andrew McLeod.
He had a great game in Canberra when we came from 7 goals down at 3/4 time to beat the Roos by 1 point. Looked like he could have be len anything that day.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 08:41 PM
He had a great game in Canberra when we came from 7 goals down at 3/4 time to beat the Roos by 1 point. Looked like he could have be len anything that day.

How many in this thread can you say that about. Cam, KMac, Tutty, Reid etc. Even Rawlings first game, only really good one, too.

That’s the hardest part. All the parts were there, but never enough for long enough.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 08:42 PM
Liam Jones if he hasn’t been mentioned. Dogs and first 18 months at Carlton version. I hope his next dogs stint erases the missed talent of the first stint.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 08:44 PM
Liam Jones if he hasn’t been mentioned. Dogs and first 18 months at Carlton version. I hope his next dogs stint erases the missed talent of the first stint.

Jones had a fairly good season playing alongside Barry Hall in 2010 from memory.

*I checked on AFLTABLES. It was 2011.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 08:53 PM

I remember that game. Brad Johnson picked the ball up in the goal square to kick the winner and managed to miss his foot with the ball the first time he tried to kick it. Luckily he managed to soccer it through the second time.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-10-2022, 08:56 PM
Was that the game where David Smorgon and some tinny waving supporters were dancing on the boundary line after we won?

Sedat
16-10-2022, 09:21 PM
As a 10yo kid in the early 80's, I had a plethora of options for my first footy jumper number. Was going to go with KT but he just left the club. I ended up going with the number 5 of Ian Williams, which was a decision that aged like fine milk.

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 09:33 PM
As a 10yo kid in the early 80's, I had a plethora of options for my first footy jumper number. Was going to go with KT but he just left the club. I ended up going with the number 5 of Ian Williams, which was a decision that aged like fine milk.
I went the 10 Michael Egan on the duffel coat, but think Geoff Jennings was my fav.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 10:45 PM
I went the 10 Michael Egan on the duffel coat, but think Geoff Jennings was my fav.

I had Michael Egan on my duffle coat too. He played at the same cricket club I played at

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-10-2022, 08:32 AM
MEgan was a good player

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2022, 10:26 AM
Webby is one for me.

A clean user, good decision maker and read the play well. He had all the tools but unfortunately never quite got going after his first (?) season where he showed a lot of promise. Probably should’ve been left to develop as a back flanker…

Yes, he did start pretty well with us in the VFL

Often played centre square VFL and then was thrown into other roles in the AFL team, often half forward. The terrible neck/spinal injury clearly destroyed any momentum he might have had

SonofScray
18-10-2022, 12:01 AM
Christian Macri and Anthony Aloi for the double trouble champ status

Testekill
18-10-2022, 12:28 AM
I really rated Josh Prudden when we picked him up, I saw a couple of VFL reserves matches where he just looked like a star. Then injuries started adding up and he couldn't get his body right until it was too late.

Testekill
18-10-2022, 12:31 AM
I had high hopes for Tom Williams m. I remember him as a competitive beast one week against Buddy and thought he’d be a star.

Got to the point i didn’t want him near the ball as I was scared he’d get injured.

I remember an interview with Tom where he said that his mum hated watching him play because she was terrified that he was going to injure himself and put himself out for another month or two.

Dogs 24/7
18-10-2022, 08:52 AM
Does James Podsiadly count? Many peoplethat saw him for Werribee knew he was an excellent player but we were stubbornly resistant to picking him.