PDA

View Full Version : Trade Strands Since 1999

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 05:57 PM
Out of curiosity i've been reviewing drafts and looking at trade strands. That is say we trade for 'player a', we later trade 'player a' for 'pick b', then use 'pick b'. So we can trace back the pick used back to original trade. A bit like a family trade. It's focussed on the incoming trades, not the outgoing trades. If you want to invest a few minutes of life in it, here it is:

2003 - Brown - Pick 6 (Veale/Rawlings) and 20 (Street)

>>>> Rawlings & 43 later into Pick 46 >>>> later into - Pick 46 (Travis Baird)

2006 - Birss - Pick 59 (Josh Hill)

>>>> Josh Hill - later into - Pick 49 (D. Pearce)

2007 - McMahon - Pick 19 (C. Ward)

>>>> Ward compo - into - Jack Macrae

2007 - Draft Pick 22 - Draft Pick 30 (on traded) and Pick 35 (Sam Reid)

>>>> Sam Reid - into - compo Pick 50 - into Josh Prudden

2008 - Farren Ray & 48 - Pick 31 (J. Roughead)

>>>> J. Roughead later into Collingwood for Pick 75 in 2018 (Will Hayes)

2012 - Brian Lake & Pick 27 - Pick 21 (Hrovat) & Pick 43 (traded for Koby Stevens)

>>>> Hrovat for future 3rd & 4th exchanges in draft 2017 from North >>> 3rd/Pick 40 into part of Schache

>>>> Stevens for 2016 with Pick 61 & Future North's 4th - for Pick 50 (Lewis Young)
>>>> Lew Young to Carlton in 2021 for Pick 52 = Points towards Sam Darcy

2015 - Talia & Pick 69 for Sydney's Future Fourth (Fergus Greene)
2015 - Pick 11 (Curnow) and Third, for Picks 20 (Josh Dunkley) & 21 (Collins)

>>>> Pick 11, into Dunkley, into 2022 Pick 21, 2023 First, 2023 Upgrade 3rd into 2nd, 2023 Round

2016 - Hamling, Pick 40 & 63 for Picks 35, 43 and 61
2016 - Picks 35 & 43 for Picks 26 (Lipinski) and 80 (not used)

>>>> Lipinski to Collingwood for Pick 43 = Hamling and Picks for 2021 Pick 43 (Draft Points towards Sam Darcy)

2017 - Stringer for Pick 25 & 30
2017 - Picks 28, 30 & Future 2nd - for Pick 16 (Richards) and Pick 40

>>>> Pick 25 & 40 for Schache
>>>> Schache for 2023 Fourth Rounder

>>>> Stringer and existing picks for Ed Richards and 2023 Fourth Rounder (via Schache trade)

2018 - Dahlhaus for 2nd Round compo (used for points towards Rhylee West)
2018 - Adams for Pick 32 (lost in points trade) and Future 3rd (towards trade on Bruce)

First Round (and just outside) Pick Trades Out - As Exhausted Trade Strands

PP = Premiership Player

1988 - Pick 7 - Cameron - into Hahn & Hargrave
1992 - Pick 17 - Koster - into - Pick 9 (Allen Jackovich)
1994 - Pick 14 - Martin - into - Trent Bartlett
1996 - Pick 10 - N. Brown - into Pick 6 - into - Veale/Rawlings - into Trav Baird
1997 - Pick 18 - Mark Alvey - into - Veale/Rawlings as above
1998 - Pick 14 - Penny - into - Faulkner
2000 - Pick 10 - McMahon - into - Ward - into Jack Macrae (PP)
2001 - Pick 10 - Sam Power - into - Boumann
2003 - Pick 1 - Cooney - into - Biggs (PP) and Hamilton
2003 - Pick 4 - Ray - into - Roughead (PP) - into - Will Hayes
2003 - Pick 6 - Rawlings and Trav Baird
2005 - Pick 11 - Higgins - into - Webb
2007 - Pick 19 - Ward - into - Jack Macrae (PP)
2007 - Pick 22 - part into Sam Reid - into Pick 50 - into D. Pearce
2010 - End of 1st compo - into - Sherman
2012 - Pick 5 - Stringer - into - parts of Schache and Richards - into 2023 4th for Schache
2015 - Pick 11 - into Collins & Dunkley (PP) - into - 2022 Pick 21, 2023 First and 4th, 2023 upgrade 3rd into 2nd
2016 - Pick 26 - into - Lipinski - into Pick 43, 2021 - into points for Sam Darcy

4 x Premiership Players acquired through trading out of First Round Players/Picks

First round/High Second round picked players values drop fasted than a BMW driving out of the dealership.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 07:07 PM
Great stuff BT and just goes to show that you win some, you lose some and you can't judge it straight off.

Funnily enough my son and I were talking about late '90s trades/draft picks this afternoon. The trading of Leon Cameron got us 384 games between Mitch Hahn and Ryan Hargrave while Richmond got 86 (?) games from Leon.

Good trade for us although I was pretty annoyed we had let Cameron walk at the time.

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 07:13 PM
We used pick 9 on Allen Jakovich?!

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 07:20 PM

Different times.

Each club's drafting/trading/recruitment team was one bloke who did all of his research in half an hour on the night before the draft.

bornadog
16-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Much appreciated and unbelievable analysis.

Picking out young 17/18 as future stars is so difficult. All sorts of changes happen to 17 year olds bodies and it can effect the way they move, or compete against grown men.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 07:54 PM
Great stuff BT and just goes to show that you win some, you lose some and you can't judge it straight off.

Funnily enough my son and I were talking about late '90s trades/draft picks this afternoon. The trading of Leon Cameron got us 384 games between Mitch Hahn and Ryan Hargrave while Richmond got 86 (?) games from Leon.

Good trade for us although I was pretty annoyed we had let Cameron walk at the time.

Yep, I didn’t like the trade at the time. But history says it’s a great trade.

I found it nerdy interesting that Lake turned into Hrovat & Stevens. They left and turned into in part Lewis Young & Schache. Who trade out for points for Darcy (who never leaves), and Schache goes another go round with the pick next year.

While with Dunkley this year, we turned that pick 11 in a two time grand final player with one premiership and B&F and now turned Pick 11 into 2022 Pick 21, 2023 1st, 2nd upgrade and 4th. In this view, the return on Pick 11/Dunkley isn’t too bad a return at all forgetting what that pick 11 turned out to be. This trade strand with so many picks attached will be again nerdy interesting to see where it lands in many years.

I guess there’s a ‘long view’ to a lot of trading that can take decades to play out beyond the sense of a trade in the ‘moment’.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 08:03 PM
Yep, I didn’t like the trade at the time. But history says it’s a great trade.

I found it nerdy interesting that Lake turned into Hrovat & Stevens. They left and turned into in part Lewis Young & Schache. Who trade out for points for Darcy (who never leaves), and Schache goes another go round with the pick next year.

While with Dunkley this year, we turned that pick 11 in a two time grand final player with one premiership and B&F and now turned Pick 11 into 2022 Pick 21, 2023 1st, 2nd upgrade and 4th. In this view, the return on Pick 11/Dunkley isn’t too bad a return at all forgetting what that pick 11 turned out to be. This trade strand with so many picks attached will be again nerdy interesting to see where it lands in many years.

I guess there’s a ‘long view’ to a lot of trading that can take decades to play out beyond the sense of a trade in the ‘moment’.

Speaking of premiership players how did the Montgomery trade work out in the long run for us?

Please and thank you.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 08:04 PM
Much appreciated and unbelievable analysis.

Picking out young 17/18 as future stars is so difficult. All sorts of changes happen to 17 year olds bodies and it can effect the way they move, or compete against grown men.

My first sense was, imagine all those awful prelim losses over 14 seasons if we nailed our first rounders or blow high picks. Our mid range and late range drafting is really good and rookie drafting unbelievable. The good news is that the club has been crushing the firsts in recent times. With four picks inside the top 21 picks across the next two drafts, if the club can continue to nail our high picks (and keep the good ones at the club) the trajectory is very optimistic.

Splitting that pick 11 for Dunkley & Collins looked/looks pretty bad. But if the club nails those picks and the overall accumulation of picks allows Lobb to get to the club. Then it might be a different perspective. A decade and multiple picks and players down the line after splitting the pick.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 08:08 PM
Speaking of premiership players how did the Montgomery trade work out in the long run for us?

Please and thank you.

From memory that was the Nathan Eagleton trade. That trade analysis depends on if you liked Eagleton, or loved whipping him. But he came back and won us a final.

Kind of like Liam Jones coming back, playing alongside Daniel. Hopefully there’s a massive final in Liam too.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 08:15 PM
From memory that was the Nathan Eagleton trade. That trade analysis depends on if you liked Eagleton, or loved whipping him. But he came back and won us a final.

Kind of like Liam Jones coming back, playing alongside Daniel. Hopefully there’s a massive final in Liam too.

I like to count the value in terms of games played but I guess if one the players goes on to play in a premiership with a club then you need to ascribe a separate, higher value to that as well.

GVGjr
16-10-2022, 08:25 PM

GG, do yourself a favor

Forward Planning (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?1953-Forward-Planning-The-Age-1995&highlight=jackovich)

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 08:29 PM
Just looking at the Monty/Eagleton trade we gave up pick 28 to Port as well as Monty. #28 became Brent Guerra who was traded to St Kilda for #49 after a few years. Port took Rob Forster-Knight with #49 and he didn't play a game with Port. That pick's history ran out as far as we were concerned after it left Port even though Guerra played 125 more games and 2 premierships with two more clubs.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 08:50 PM
Just looking at the Monty/Eagleton trade we gave up pick 28 to Port as well as Monty. #28 became Brent Guerra who was traded to St Kilda for #49 after a few years. Port took Rob Forster-Knight with #49 and he didn't play a game with Port. That pick's history ran out as far as we were concerned after it left Port even though Guerra played 125 more games and 2 premierships with two more clubs.

I guess the knock on The Bald Eagle was like many, many of his teammates, he didn’t turn up to win finals. I still have a great deal of respect for his service to the club. Even last year playing Port in the Prelim, he was publicly backing us to win against the grain of SA media types. Showed his true colours for the club when he could have just given a vanilla answer.

But Port would be happy with the trade. Monty was great for them.

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 08:53 PM
I guess the knock on The Bald Eagle was like many, many of his teammates, he didn’t turn up to win finals. I still have a great deal of respect for his service to the club. Even last year playing Port in the Prelim, he was publicly backing us to win against the grain of SA media types. Showed his true colours for the club when he could have just given a vanilla answer.

The only guy that celebrated goals as soon as they left his foot.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 08:55 PM
The only guy that celebrated goals as soon as they left his foot.

That left foot could be deadly. His right foot was only there to stop him falling over.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 08:58 PM

He did play 180 more games with us than them.

I liked him. He was the best gut runner I've seen play with us.

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 09:06 PM

Plus he had Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 09:08 PM
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/nsw/nathan-eagleton-still-standing-the-test-of-time-ng-37bea5814592192ab2ea9a38942ca8bd.amp

EasternWest
16-10-2022, 09:08 PM

Let's hear what Mantis thinks.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 09:12 PM

I'm looking forward to hearing his POV

boydogs
17-10-2022, 12:34 AM
Going to be very complicated doing these threads in future given how complex trades have become

1eyedog
18-10-2022, 12:44 AM

Didn't mind Eagleton and he did play 277 more games than Mantis.

EasternWest
18-10-2022, 08:37 AM
Didn't mind Eagleton and he did play 277 more games than Mantis.

Do you know for a fact that Mantis isn't Chris Grant?

Dogs 24/7
18-10-2022, 08:49 AM
Great thread Bulldogtragic.

Mantis
18-10-2022, 12:33 PM

I'm stuck at Sydney airport with a bit of time on my hands... what better way to fill it than a thesis on the Bald Eagle!

Sedat
18-10-2022, 01:27 PM
I'm stuck at Sydney airport with a bit of time on my hands... what better way to fill it than a thesis on the Bald Eagle!
You didn't like his junktime 60m bombs post high under no pressure?

Mantis
18-10-2022, 01:57 PM
You didn't like his junktime 60m bombs post high under no pressure?

They made our victories that much sweeter!

I've done it to death, but given I was prompted I really struggled with taking my pleasure in Eagleton's work. My frustrations are really encapsulated by his performance in the 2008 final series.

Smoked through 2 junktime goals in the last quarter in our SF win against Sydney from 55m... and then in the PF the next week he didn't make the distance with a set shot from 40m straight in front at an absolutely critical time in the last qtr when we were making a run.

He was no doubt very talented, but he frustrated the hell out of me.

Sedat
18-10-2022, 03:46 PM
They made our victories that much sweeter!

I've done it to death, but given I was prompted I really struggled with taking my pleasure in Eagleton's work. My frustrations are really encapsulated by his performance in the 2008 final series.

Smoked through 2 junktime goals in the last quarter in our SF win against Sydney from 55m... and then in the PF the next week he didn't make the distance with a set shot from 40m straight in front at an absolutely critical time in the last qtr when we were making a run.

He was no doubt very talented, but he frustrated the hell out of me.
In legal parlance, I am 100% guilty of leading the witness :D

Bulldog Revolution
18-10-2022, 04:00 PM
fascinating thread bulldogtragic

Some of these trades keep going and going in terms of turning a player into a pick into a player into a pick etc

I never liked that Farren Ray trade in terms of giving them a ready made senior player for a pick upgrade, but we did select Roughy with it, and it was a pretty spectacular grand final he played including the best mark of his career

EasternWest
18-10-2022, 05:48 PM
fascinating thread bulldogtragic

Some of these trades keep going and going in terms of turning a player into a pick into a player into a pick etc

I never liked that Farren Ray trade in terms of giving them a ready made senior player for a pick upgrade, but we did select Roughy with it, and it was a pretty spectacular grand final he played including the best mark of his career

That mark.

1eyedog
19-10-2022, 11:57 AM
Do you know for a fact that Mantis isn't Chris Grant?

Yes I met Mantis at a WOOF social club function maybe in 2009/2010. He was decidedly shorter than Chris and less 'Turtle-like'.

EasternWest
19-10-2022, 05:38 PM
Yes I met Mantis at a WOOF social club function maybe in 2009/2010. He was decidedly shorter than Chris and less 'Turtle-like'.

Have you considered that that's what Turtle wanted you to think?