PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Mitch Wallis

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2022, 10:39 AM
Thanks for being a great footballer, a beacon of positivity and the ultimate role model

Our club is better for having had you as part of it

Hope every one of your next steps is successful

bornadog
17-10-2022, 10:43 AM
Bulldogs farewell Wallis (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1238583/)

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2022/10/16/f422f761-2036-400e-8d92-b106289eda67/ThanksMW-1920x1080-ART.jpg?width=952&height=592

The Western Bulldogs have today farewelled heart and soul veteran Mitch Wallis after 12 seasons in the red, white and blue.

The popular Bulldog arrived at VU Whitten Oval in 2011, drafted with pick 22 as a father-son selection in the 2010 National Draft.

Making his debut early in 2011, Wallis became a staple of the Bulldogs’ midfield, consistently giving his all and playing selfless team football throughout his journey at the Kennel.

A professional on and off the field, Wallis found his career-best form in 2015, averaging 24 touches per game and kicking 15 goals, before settling into the forward line in the latter part of his career.

The move forward saw him prosper in 2020, kicking 25 goals to be the club’s leading goalkicker, before being name vice-captain of the side in 2021.

Wallis’ leadership qualities have been on show since the moment the 29-year-old walked through the door, guiding many of the young players during the formative years of their careers.

In total, Wallis played 162 games for the Bulldogs and kicked 109 goals.

“I’ve just got so much gratitude towards the Western Bulldogs Football Club,” Wallis said.

“Playing for the red, white and blue was a childhood dream and this club has been my second home for more than a decade.

“Despite the disappointment of finishing at the Bulldogs, I will weigh up what comes next for me over the coming weeks.

“I wouldn’t be the person I am today without the support of many people at the Bulldogs and their guidance, particularly over the past 12 months, and it’s something I will always cherish.

“I’ve got so many wonderful memories and friendships that I take with me, and I will be forever grateful to run out onto Marvel Stadium in front of the amazing Bulldogs fans.”

Senior Coach Luke Beveridge lauded the career of Wallis and the contribution he has made to the Club.

“Mitch has been a highly respected and professional Bulldogs person from the day he arrived. He has poured his heart and soul into his football,” Beveridge said.

“He has been a committed and supportive club man and an influential leader, having experienced the honour of being vice-captain.

“Unfortunately, he has been held back with injury at times, which has hindered his continuity and ability to influence on the field.

“Mitch has forged intimate bonds with all at our Club. We look forward to continuing our strong relationship with him whatever comes next.

“I would like to thank Mitch personally for being a great support for everyone at the Club, and we wish him, Emily, Charlotte and William all the best for the future.”

Mofra
Sad news, hope to see him at the club in some capacity next season.

cinder
What a shame, I thought he was a great leader and bled red, white and blue. I hope he gets picked up elsewhere. Thanks Mitch for your loyalty.

Ozza
17-10-2022, 10:47 AM
Hear hear.

Absolutely loved Wal. Always carried himself as a true pro. Great ambassador for the club always (having seen him at Auskick & kids clinics). And although I could understand reasons why he didn't play in the seniors at times, personally I always liked seeing him in the team, knowing what you'd get in a contest. Really didn't miss that many games before he broke his leg, so maybe a bit of what might have been. But seemingly without complaint, reinvented himself.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-10-2022, 10:48 AM
Such a shame. His injury in 2016 really did prove to hobble his him from reaching his full potential on field. He always carried himself with such professionalism and dignity and if not for injury I suspect he would've been a more influential figure in the team.

Grantysghost
17-10-2022, 10:49 AM
I wonder if he was shopped around during the trade period and didn't get any bites.

All the best Mitch, a great career at the Dogs and a great Bulldogs person.

bornadog
All the best to Mitch. So unlucky to have not played in the 2016 premiership team. As Ozza said, that broken leg really held him back in subsequent years.

bulldogtragic
I hope he’s not lost to the club. His career was chopped and changed about what was best for the team and what different coaches wanted. A professional team first man to the end. He honoured the #3. Such a shame that horrific broken leg cost him the chance to win a flag. May there be a third Wallis generation playing for us down the track. Thanks Mitch.

EasternWest
Understandable but still shattered by this.

EasternWest
17-10-2022, 10:50 AM
What a shame, I thought he was a great leader and bled red, white and blue. I hope he gets picked up elsewhere. Thanks Mitch for your loyalty.

Great to have you back, Cinder.

The Underdog
17-10-2022, 10:54 AM
A real heart and soul type guy who seemed a genuinely nice human being. Gave his all, went through some horrific injury luck and last year a horrendous family tragedy. It was time, but he's the kind of guy that is hard to let go of.

The Doctor
17-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Best wishes to Mitch. A truly great Bulldog who gave his all.

I hope he remains at the club. Seems a natural for coaching and development.

angelopetraglia
17-10-2022, 11:09 AM
Deep down I know this is the right decision, but I'm still so sad to see the call finally made. Great person and as others have said never really recovered from that horrific broken leg. A brief resurrection as a small marking forward in 2020 when we really bereft of other options, but unfortunately just doesn't have enough tricks or pace to have a real impact as a small forward in our current line up.

angelopetraglia
17-10-2022, 11:23 AM
Mitch Wallis Instagram. All class as you would expect.

Its with a fair amount of sadness that my journey with Western Bulldogs has come to its end.
It is the people at this club and our supporters that sets the Western Bulldogs apart from all other organisations.
Thanks to everyone that invested time, emotion and energy in making me a better person and player. Although not always easy, the memories and experiences over the past 12 years at the club have helped define me as a person.
I’m a passionate being and ill never stop caring and investing time into the people who have always had my back and believed in me.
Playing AFL for the bulldogs has given me so much happiness but also a hell of a lot perspective on what are the most important things my in life. My family has always been my greatest ever achievement, my purpose and the canvas for my biggest joys in life.

Finally, I love this place and am looking forward to seeing the club fight it’s way back to the top.

Up the dogs! @westernbulldogs

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjynbd5hzLH/?hl=en

Bulldog4life
17-10-2022, 11:25 AM
Well done Mitch. A very good career. Plus a true gentleman off the field. Hope he stays at the club in some capacity. A development coach?

Eastdog
17-10-2022, 11:26 AM
Loved Mitch. He was a true Bulldog and went about it always in a professional manner. A shame about 2016 with that horrific injury he couldn't be part of the premiership team. In the Covid year of 2020 I really enjoyed his season up forward.

Wishing Mitch all the best and be great to see him in the future back at the club in some capacity.

Bulldog4life
17-10-2022, 11:44 AM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/858600/former-dogs-vice-captain-departs-keen-to-continue-afl-career

Wally keen to continue his career.

josie
17-10-2022, 11:48 AM
Thanks Mitch. A role model of the highest order both on and off field. I hope he can continue his playing career or as a coach or support role elsewhere. I think he will make his way back to the dogs in the future, he is RWB through & through.

GVGjr
17-10-2022, 11:51 AM
Such a shame injuries slowed his career. All the best Mitch and we hope to see you back soon.

Ozza
17-10-2022, 11:59 AM
Few good performances in there;

25 and 3 goals the week before he broke his leg.
26, 7 tackles, 7 clearances in the final v Adelaide.
36 and a goal, and 3 brownlow votes in that 2015 win v GWS where we had a bunch of injuries and belted them .
And seemed to save his best for Geelong (26 and 2 goals twice, 29 & 2 another time and a 24 & 1).

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2022, 12:03 PM
All the best Mitch - a shame about the injuries, but there's a reason he's still a highly respected individual within the football club and will be for years to come. Well done mate.

chef
17-10-2022, 12:16 PM
Sad stuff, but its the right move.

Class act who I hope still has a role at the club.

Mitcha
17-10-2022, 12:37 PM
As a long term member of the footy club you see a lot of players come and go but some are remembered for more than their footballing ability. Following on from his father who was an absolute gentleman off the ground but a fierce competitor on it, Mitch didn't fall far from the tree. Hope whatever it is that are in his plans moving forward is a success but I for one don't really want to see him running around anywhere else (particularly if it is around the Tullamarine area). I want his career remembered as a Bulldog only and hope he would be offered the captaincy at VFL level where he can continue to impart his knowledge on the next level of talent and allowing him some additional time to spend with his family. Well played Wall.

MrMahatma
17-10-2022, 12:45 PM
All the best Mitch. A really great team guy, arguably cut down in his prime with a brutal injury. Never gave up.

I hope he’s not lost to the game.

Mofra
17-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Such a shame injuries slowed his career. All the best Mitch and we hope to see you back soon.
Everyone talks about the leg, but he copped a really bad ankle too when he was really forging himself as an excellent run-with player. Shut down Heppell for 3/4ers until he did it on field.

Topdog
17-10-2022, 01:18 PM
All the best Mitch. Always loved watching him play.
Even though i expected and from a purely list management perspective wanted it to happen I'm still fairly upset that he is officially gone.

G-Mo77
17-10-2022, 01:40 PM
Oh what a shame, it's not surprising but a dam shame. Hopefully he's involved with us in some way if he doesn't play elsewhere.

F'scary
17-10-2022, 01:40 PM
Hope he is not lost to the club. Would love to see him in a coaching or footy operations type of role with us.

Murphy'sLore
17-10-2022, 01:47 PM
Had a feeling this was coming, but still a sad moment. Always gave his heart and soul, thoroughly professional, and was always polite and patient every time my husband accosted him off the field (though he did back away slowly down his driveway one time...)
One of my favourites, all the best with whatever comes next, Mitch.

Ghost Dog
17-10-2022, 02:09 PM
Considering the average AFL footballer plays just 60 games, Mitch had a great run.
Forever loved.

Twodogs
17-10-2022, 02:12 PM
An honourary bullgod. Very few players leave the club with so many best wishes.

If it's what he wants them I really hope that Wally finds himself on an AFL list next year. I think he still has some petrol left in the tank

EasternWest
17-10-2022, 02:22 PM
Mitch Wallis Instagram. All class as you would expect.

Its with a fair amount of sadness that my journey with Western Bulldogs has come to its end.
It is the people at this club and our supporters that sets the Western Bulldogs apart from all other organisations.
Thanks to everyone that invested time, emotion and energy in making me a better person and player. Although not always easy, the memories and experiences over the past 12 years at the club have helped define me as a person.
I’m a passionate being and ill never stop caring and investing time into the people who have always had my back and believed in me.
Playing AFL for the bulldogs has given me so much happiness but also a hell of a lot perspective on what are the most important things my in life. My family has always been my greatest ever achievement, my purpose and the canvas for my biggest joys in life.

Finally, I love this place and am looking forward to seeing the club fight it’s way back to the top.

Up the dogs! @westernbulldogs

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjynbd5hzLH/?hl=en

Goddamn stupid, sexy Mitch Wallis.

Considering the average AFL footballer plays just 60 games, Mitch had a great run.
Forever loved.

Welcome back, Doug.

merantau
17-10-2022, 02:40 PM
Fine player and champion person. I really hope there is a future role for him at the Club because people of his stamp have a lot to offer others.

cinder
17-10-2022, 03:19 PM
Great to have you back, Cinder.

Many thanks EW! I've been lurking here and there ;)

bornadog
17-10-2022, 03:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJz88D1wr5c

EasternWest
17-10-2022, 04:38 PM
Many thanks EW! I've been lurking here and there ;)

https://i.postimg.cc/xCBnZd8N/49d26d07-0d6e-48ee-9814-a26fd9bae3c1-text.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Mantis
17-10-2022, 04:59 PM
Congrats on the career that you've had with us and the professionalism & passion that you've shown.

Understand he'll try his luck at another AFL club, but I would love for him to be captain of Footscray in 2023.

Bulldog4life
17-10-2022, 05:02 PM
Had a feeling this was coming, but still a sad moment. Always gave his heart and soul, thoroughly professional, and was always polite and patient every time my husband accosted him off the field (though he did back away slowly down his driveway one time...)
One of my favourites, all the best with whatever comes next, Mitch.

That's close to stalking Murph..:)

angelopetraglia
17-10-2022, 05:07 PM
WALLIS LEFT “A LITTLE BIT BITTER” BY NATURE OF DELISTING, WILL GO ANYWHERE TO CONTINUE AFL DREAM

Delisted Bulldog Mitch Wallis is keen to continue his AFL career after being left a “little bit bitter” by the club’s decision to move him on.

The Western Bulldogs announced Wallis would not be offered a new contract on Monday morning, farewelling the 29-year-old after 12 seasons and 162 games.

Wallis was the club’s vice-captain in 2021 and was one of the Dogs’ best players through a period that saw the club claim the 2016 premiership, despite the midfielder missing with a broken leg.

But after spending most of the past two seasons out of the best 22, Wallis was disappointed his time at Whitten Oval ended as it has.

“You could call it a surprise. There wasn’t a contract per se on the table but more of a wait-and-see type approach,” he told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“I’m an optimistic person so I thought it would happen. The club’s had a fair bit of movement this off-season. I was hoping to stay on because I’ve still got a fair bit of fire in the belly, the last few seasons haven’t really played in my favour with injuries and the like.

“It didn’t fall my way but in saying that, I’m obviously very grateful for the time. 12 years is a long time at one club and the game so I can’t be more grateful for the opportunities I was given there.

“But it ends abruptly… you sever ties quite quickly and probably the only regret is I didn’t get to do it in front of my teammates and some of the staff members who have been so important to my journey and invested a lot of time, energy and emotions into me.

“To sort of be on holidays and have to make the call is something that leaves me a little bit bitter but at the end of the day it’s a ruthless industry and I look forward.”

Wallis admitted that one of the great mysteries of his career is why he spent the prime of his footy years out of Luke Beveridge’s 22.

After being elevated to Marcus Bontempelli’s deputy, Wallis played six games in 2021 before five in 2022.

It came after he reinvented himself as a forward in 2020, but has consistently found himself out of the midfield and forward mix.

When asked why he’s been left out of the team in recent years, Wallis replied: “good question.

“It’s one of those things I’ll never fully understand and I’ll grapple with it… as long as I think about footy.

“Obviously would have loved a little bit more opportunity to play and show my worth, but that’s just the way the match committee and Luke went.

“He’s the senior coach, he’s in control and he makes decisions at the end of the day that you have to live with.

“I was never going to fight it, but I just wanted to do everything and train as hard as I could to prove I was worthy of a game.

“I only played a handful of games this year but I felt like I turned it around a little bit before I got injured, unfortunately, but that’s footy.”

Nevertheless, Wallis is keen to continue his AFL career.

He’s completely recovered from foot surgery in June this year and added he was prepared to move anywhere to keep the dream alive.

“It’s still pretty raw, I haven’t totally moved on from the Bulldogs yet... we’ll explore (the interest) over the coming weeks and see what’s out there,” the ex-Bulldog offered.

“I’m keen to keep playing but at the end of the day, we’ll let the dust settle and acknowledge a club that’s been so kind to me and take the next step in due course.

“I love footy… I’m open to all offers and all ideas, but it’s only been a few hours and a few days that I’ve come to terms with not playing in the red, white and blue.”

The Bulldogs also delisted Louis Butler and Charlie Parker later on Monday morning.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/17/wallis-left-a-little-bitter-by-nature-of-delisting-will-go-anywhere-to/

hujsh
17-10-2022, 05:32 PM
I wonder if Wallis really is in the dark or if it's just not good to say out loud when you're looking for job somewhere else?

bornadog
17-10-2022, 06:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfPfWgiakAU9PRE?format=jpg&name=small

The bulldog tragician
17-10-2022, 06:15 PM
I don’t like to think he was left in the dark, if true. In the “face-to-face” interview with Jonno, he expressed confidence that talks had been positive, and that he would get another year.

What might have been but for that horrific broken leg. It’s another reason to feel great disappointment that the young 2016 group fragmented and that heart and soul players such as Wal didn’t ever get that opportunity.

AshMac
17-10-2022, 06:21 PM
Thanks Mitch. Absolute clubman and champion bloke.

Grantysghost
17-10-2022, 06:23 PM
I don’t like to think he was left in the dark, if true. In the “face-to-face” interview with Jonno, he expressed confidence that talks had been positive, and that he would get another year.

What might have been but for that horrific broken leg. It’s another reason to feel great disappointment that the young 2016 group fragmented and that heart and soul players such as Wal didn’t ever get that opportunity.

I get the sentiment trag but I honestly believe we've given him longer than most would get because of the person he is.

I recall a game in Cairns and I was in a section with Steve.

It was free drinks, and he came to an intersection with me and I stopped and bowed and said "bulldog royalty first"....

He scoffed at me as you'd expect in a humble way and we had a good laugh.

I spoke to him a few times during the night and it made me realise how lucky we are to have the Wallis family associated with our club.

It was the night Jake kicked a massive goal and celebrated towards our section (I'll try and find it).

Go to 3 mins 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/VEB0tSkwBns?t=190

I think what I'm trying to say is we've looked after Mitch for sure.

The bulldog tragician
17-10-2022, 06:47 PM
I get the sentiment trag but I honestly believe we've given him longer than most would get because of the person he is.

I recall a game in Cairns and I was in a section with Steve.

It was free drinks, and he came to an intersection with me and I stopped and bowed and said "bulldog royalty first"....

He scoffed at me as you'd expect in a humble way and we had a good laugh.

I spoke to him a few times during the night and it made me realise how lucky we are to have the Wallis family associated with our club.

It was the night Jake kicked a massive goal and celebrated towards our section (I'll try and find it).

Go to 3 mins 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/VEB0tSkwBns?t=190

I think what I'm trying to say is we've looked after Mitch for sure.

Not necessarily against the decision per se, more commenting on the idea that he felt “in the dark.” And he had the perception, as in the Johnno interview, there would be a place for him. It must be awful to handle these difficult conversations with a guy like Wally. Maybe he didn’t hear what we tried to tell him. maybe we shirked it.

This time of year can be tough for the footy sentimentalist, we’ve lost Father-sons Hunter, Cordy and Wallis in a week. But I’m the person who never quite got over Daniel Cross’s delisting and claimed I’d never love another player wearing number 4 EVER AGAIN.

lemmon
17-10-2022, 08:09 PM
Thanks Wal.

There was no one I wanted to 'make it back' again more on our list than Mitch. Bleeds bulldog, incredible character, left everything on the field - just a shame he didn't get the fairytale ending his work and commitment deserved.

Would love to see him back at the club in some capacity when he feels he's ready. He's a Bob Murphy 'fabric of the club' type of character in my mind.

angelopetraglia
17-10-2022, 08:22 PM
Wallis on 3AW https://www.3aw.com.au/mitch-wallis-opens-up-on-western-bulldogs-exit-leaves-little-doubt-about-his-future-plans/

Jasper
17-10-2022, 09:17 PM
I cant do enough justice in describing my admiration for Wallis but he has exhibited class and dedication during his time with us.
I wish him all the best and Id welcome him back in the future.

Grantysghost
17-10-2022, 09:29 PM
I cant do enough justice in describing my admiration for Wallis but he has exhibited class and dedication during his time with us.

Hear hear Jasper.

whythelongface
17-10-2022, 09:41 PM

Well said.
An absolute champion bloke. The club will miss having him around. Good luck with his future endeavours

Go_Dogs
17-10-2022, 09:46 PM
A sad day.

Mitch has been an incredible soldier for our club for a long time. He played some great football and reinvented himself a few times in different roles and positions. His leg break was horrific and definitely impacted the footballer he could’ve become as he didn’t have the pace and agility to lose.

Well done on your career Mitch - a story of perseverance and resilience.

KT31
17-10-2022, 10:24 PM
Great role model for the club and AFL, being so poor, not giving a toss and not giving Bob and Wally a crack at a flag in 2017 still really p1sses me off.

Testekill
17-10-2022, 10:57 PM
Wallis is beloved around the club and had some great games for us but honestly this would have been three years late if he wasn't a FS. A good leader off the field and on the field but he can't play midfield minutes at AFL level anymore and he got passed as a forward, best of luck to him and hopefully for him there's a club wanting someone to help develop kids.

SonofScray
17-10-2022, 11:04 PM
Sad day, but one that was coming from a way off.

I’ll always respect Wally for what he brought to the table and how he handled both his heart breaking injury in 2016, and his change in role at the club in recent years. Not everyone gets the career they envisage, and while he certainly has had a good career, I am sure he has some frustrations and stuff in the basement. Not that we’d ever know. He’s been loyal, honest and humble.

A hard day for him. No easy way to take it.

Jeanette54
18-10-2022, 01:39 PM
Mitch would have so much to offer Footscray as a VFL captain, I wonder if that was ever seriously discussed.

Mantis
18-10-2022, 01:48 PM
I ran into Mitch and his family at Melbourne airport this morning.

I passed on my thanks for his time in the Bulldogs colours and congratulated on the way he has carried himself.

I hope we can keep him on in some capacity as he's a good egg.

Topdog
18-10-2022, 02:32 PM
Mitch would have so much to offer Footscray as a VFL captain, I wonder if that was ever seriously discussed.

I bloody well hope we've offered that, suspect he will look to make it onto another AFL list 1st though

FrediKanoute
20-10-2022, 01:40 AM
Mitch Wallis is the very definition of a guy who has given his all for this football. Whether is all was good enough or not is something we can debate, but he is a guy who left no stone unturned to improve and prove he was AFL standard. It's tragic that he missed out on the 2016 GF team (yes Dunks that medal may not have been yours) and proof that football is not fair.

I wish him the best of luck whether its in retirement or whether he plays on at another club. Will always be a Bulldog.

Daughter of the West
22-10-2022, 01:33 PM
Always a class act. Thank you Mitch.

bulldogtragic
05-12-2022, 04:11 PM
Can’t see anything online about Mitch Wallis getting a gig at another AFEL club. But with Mitch being somewhat unhappy about his exit, and Martin taking on a development role now, has the time passed for Mitch to have some sort of Footscray VFL role?

bornadog
05-12-2022, 04:14 PM
Can’t see anything online about Mitch Wallis getting a gig at another AFEL club. But with Mitch being somewhat unhappy about his exit, and Martin taking on a development role now, has the time passed for Mitch to have some sort of Footscray VFL role?

Captain of VFL side?

GVGjr
05-12-2022, 04:16 PM

I hope not. Wallis should not be lost to football. I wonder if there is room at Footscray for an assistant coach or player?

bulldogtragic
05-12-2022, 04:17 PM
Captain of VFL side?

Dropping the current captain and reigning B&F? Or co-Captains?

bornadog
05-12-2022, 04:21 PM
Dropping the current captain and reigning B&F? Or co-Captains?

maybe Co.