PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs Iconic moments

GVGjr
19-10-2022, 03:53 PM
For as long as you have followed the Dogs what are the iconic moments that really stand out for you?

The flag in 2016 obviously would be a standout
The fightback in 89 should also figure prominently

But what else is something that you are unlikely to forget or something you really cherish?
It doesn't need to be some of the big ticket offerings.

Mofra
19-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Peter Street bouncing the ball at Marvel, and the crowd erupting.
Galaxy Coleman knocking out the point post at Whitten Oval
Chris Grant's goal from the boundary line in that infamous game against Essendon in 2000
Bont's mark against Hodge in the 2016 Elimination final at the MCG

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 03:57 PM
Nathan Brown running into the goal square to kick a goal and showing the ball to the opposition.
Princes Park probably 97 ish.

GVGjr
19-10-2022, 03:58 PM
Peter Street bouncing the ball at Marvel, and the crowd erupting.
Galaxy Coleman knocking out the point post at Whitten Oval
Chris Grant's goal from the boundary line in that infamous game against Essendon in 2000
Bont's mark against Hodge in the 2016 Elimination final at the MCG

Where does the likes of Jimmy Edmond pointing to his head and letting Gubby Allen know all about it rate? :)

GVGjr
19-10-2022, 04:02 PM
I've written about it a couple of times but when I was a youngster seeing Bernie Quinlan and Bones McGhie plough into each other with a ferocious bump at the Whitten oval was impressive.

Templeton's 15 goal performance was an iconic moment.

Bulldog Revolution
19-10-2022, 04:04 PM
Kolyniuk's goal against the pies in the early 90s when the Great Southern Stand was still being built - super, super goal
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=360331524896239

GVGjr
19-10-2022, 04:05 PM
Kolyniuk's goal against the pies in the early 90s when the Great Southern Stand was still being built - super, super goal

Perfect example.

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 04:08 PM
I thought these were obscure examples I got it wrong.

But I'm going for another.

Libba elbowing Knights.

Gia taking out Kosi.

The Subiaco strangle on the back of the Wallis bump of the century.

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 04:10 PM
Perfect example.

Did Super MacPherson kick a goal at the G to draw a game v North in the 80s or early 90s.
I'll nominate that as my final answer.

bornadog
19-10-2022, 04:20 PM
Did Super MacPherson kick a goal at the G to draw a game v North in the 80s or early 90s.

Yes I went to that match.

Sitting in the Southern Stand, I couldn't see the scoreboard. When Super kicked that goal, I thought we won and I did a Nathan Brown and started jumping up and down, before I realised no one was celebrating.

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 04:22 PM
Yes I went to that match.

Sitting in the Southern Stand, I couldn't see the scoreboard. When Super kicked that goal, I thought we won and I did a Nathan Brown and started jumping up and down, before I realised no one was celebrating.

I was there too...! He was kicking to the Ponsford stand end I recall it well even though I would've been 12 or something.

soupman
19-10-2022, 04:27 PM
How has no one nominated the Bont goal against GWS yet?

I think it's my favourite ever football moment (maybe the final siren of that game pips it).

bornadog
19-10-2022, 04:27 PM
My favourite Iconic moments other than the GF, PF are:

In order and already mentioned by others:

1. Templeton Kicking 15.9
2. Grubby Allen's kick across the ground and Beasley's incredible mark/Goal - we trailed Collingwood all day and won on the siren
3. Chris Grant's goal in 2000 to beat undefeated Bombres

I will think of more and post

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 04:33 PM

I think it's my favourite ever football moment (maybe the final siren of that game pips it).

I remember the Macrae one more fondly for some reason.

Libba with the pass it was the moment I nearly passed out.

We have to remember Cordy in that game. Involved in the first goal to Smith, kicked the goal that put us in front in the last.

In Zaine!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2022, 04:33 PM

2. Grubby Allen's kick across the ground and Beasley's incredible mark/Goal - we trailed Collingwood all day and won on the siren

Yep the Gubby moment looms large in my memory of childhood Bulldog moments.

Axe Man
19-10-2022, 04:45 PM

https://youtu.be/HMLszFYRkSs

Sedat
19-10-2022, 04:47 PM
Shaggy perfect right cross onto the jaw of Heath Black. I was about 20m away, and he flushed it like a Lindsay Gilbee drop punt. Sparked one of the great melees in modern AFL history.

bornadog
19-10-2022, 04:55 PM

Thanks AM, that was a high scoring match, both teams kicking 18.17

bornadog
19-10-2022, 04:57 PM
Not much is ever said about this game - an incredible night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWsnlWas_TU

bulldogtragic
19-10-2022, 05:02 PM
Shaggy perfect right cross onto the jaw of Heath Black. I was about 20m away, and he flushed it like a Lindsay Gilbee drop punt. Sparked one of the great melees in modern AFL history.

Best me to it. Danny Southern on Sumich was scary, and iconic.

Monty kissing the bulldog jumper.

Booing GWS. Cameron soiling about it. Cordy knocking out Ward. Clay going harder than Griffen to get a crucial goal.

Everything to do with the last game at WO. Danny Southern again gets a mention.

Smashing Essendon and ‘Dwayne’s’ crack about them needing ‘a safe word’.

Mofra
19-10-2022, 05:05 PM
The Bubba chant in that infamous elimination final against Collingwood was gold.
He would have been stranded on 299 games had we lost that day.
Monty getting smashed at the opening bounce, getting up and kicking 4 that day was tough

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 05:05 PM

No way! Well done I looked for it. Legend.

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 05:11 PM
The Bubba chant in that infamous elimination final against Collingwood was gold.
He would have been stranded on 299 games had we lost that day.
Monty getting smashed at the opening bounce, getting up and kicking 4 that day was tough

That was one of the great Bulldogs days. I was somehow in the cheer squad, I was so hungover I think I was still drunk.

Just remember that new wave of Rocket kids coming good Gilbee et al.

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 05:12 PM
Best me to it. Danny Southern on Sumich was scary, and iconic.

Monty kissing the bulldog jumper.

Booing GWS. Cameron soiling about it. Cordy knocking out Ward. Clay going harder than Griffen to get a crucial goal.

Everything to do with the last game at WO. Danny Southern again gets a mention.

That Clay v Griffen moment I almost felt like Griff let us have it.

Mofra
19-10-2022, 05:14 PM
Matty Robbins' mark. Should have been MOTY

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 05:19 PM
Matty Robbins' mark. Should have been MOTY

https://youtu.be/CwZ4wwm4ws0
That was the start of the Rocket train that night.

EasternWest
19-10-2022, 05:36 PM
Dylan Addison gut running to put on a spoil from a kick out then recovering the ball and hitting up Johnson laces out directly in front.

Dylan Addison smashing the living daylights out if Brett Kirk in a battle of who was the hardest with Addison rightfully being found the hardest. Of course, he got suspended for it but had the roles been reversed we would have been talking about how Kirk was the toughest footballer ever.

Dylan Addison gasping like a landed fish before busting his gut to get to another contest.

Bonus: my friend getting the thumbs up from Stephen Tiller after he yelled out "Stevieeeee" after a final. That moment was such a highlight that I can't even remember who we just beat.

Sedat
19-10-2022, 05:41 PM
I'm still dirty that we didn't inflict the 'Reverse Arceri' on them and allowed them to kick 3 junktime goals in the last 3 minutes.

EasternWest
19-10-2022, 05:44 PM

I was at the footy one day with my partner and was describing that punch to her (as you'll see by the end, probably a little too accurately) and I was mimicking the punch to her just as she leant in to hear me better and I punched her square on the cheek.

And that's my story officer.

Sedat
19-10-2022, 05:46 PM
Michael Gardiner's "welcome to the kennel" in 1997

Sedat
19-10-2022, 05:51 PM
1992 was one of my absolute favourite seasons and had many memorable moments. We beat St Kilda 3 times that season, and the pinnacle was our gutsy win with a heap of injuries at Moorabbin against Lockett, Loewe, Winmar in their prime and with Del Re kicking a bag. Closely followed by Chris Grant's outstanding finals performance against them in the SF as a 19yo CHF, when he also kicked a bag of 5.

Same season we kicked 11 goals in the 3rd qtr to 0 against a pretty good Fitzroy team at Princes Park. It was a brutal quarter of football.

GVGjr
19-10-2022, 05:56 PM
Michael Gardiner's "welcome to the kennel" in 1997

Brilliant, that would have to be in the top 10.

comrade
19-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Johnno kicking that goal in the last qtr in his 300th and falling straight on his back in celebration.

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 06:20 PM
Dylan Addison gut running to put on a spoil from a kick out then recovering the ball and hitting up Johnson laces out directly in front.

Dylan Addison smashing the living daylights out if Brett Kirk in a battle of who was the hardest with Addison rightfully being found the hardest. Of course, he got suspended for it but had the roles been reversed we would have been talking about how Kirk was the toughest footballer ever.

Dylan Addison gasping like a landed fish before busting his gut to get to another contest.

Bonus: my friend getting the thumbs up from Stephen Tiller after he yelled out "Stevieeeee" after a final. That moment was such a highlight that I can't even remember who we just beat.

How do you unlike a post.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2022, 06:48 PM

I was on a designated 'free weekend' from my boarding school in Yeppoon for that drawn game against North in 19dickety7. I was invited to stay with a school friend's family up in Sarina, near Mackay. It was too far away for it to be viable for me travel to my home in Isisford (out past Longreach) for a weekend. So I went up to Sarina on that occasion. I recall them being a very strong rugby league family, with my mate's Dad being a rugby league coach. He had a quizzical look on my face when I asked if I might be able to watch my Bulldog's play North on the TV in the pool room.

Back then in Queensland you got 1 Saturday game on TV, and it was rare the Bulldog's were featured. Even rarer at my rugby league obsessed boarding School St Brendan's that I was able to get access to a TV to even watch a game of footy.
So I was able to watch this at my mate's place, even though they all thought I was from another planet. I loved Supa, he was one of my favourites of that era.

Australian Rules Football was not seen as a socially acceptable sporting past time in those days deep into Rugby League heartland of North Qld.

EasternWest
19-10-2022, 06:53 PM
How do you unlike a post.

The sooner we all recognise the one true God, this boy, this man, Dylan *!*!*!*!ing Addison the sooner the rapture will be upon us.

Rocket Science
19-10-2022, 07:51 PM
The time-stamping may be a little screwy but kick back from the 35:30 mark friends and bask in the might and the glory of The Knee Of God.

https://youtu.be/zHunu-FRzUE?t=35m36s

chef
19-10-2022, 07:57 PM
Zainos knee into cement heads head.

Edit. Haha how did I miss the post above.

EasternWest
19-10-2022, 08:26 PM
Zainos knee into cement heads head.

Edit. Haha how did I miss the post above.

High on your own supply.

Jeanette54
19-10-2022, 10:35 PM
From the GWS pre-lim, Clay Smith's huge hit on Griffin, which resulted in a Bulldog Goal. So sad to think Clay's career was cut short by injury.

And one from the Western Oval vault. Simon Beasley's last-minute mark, from a magpie cross goal short pass, to deny Collingwood a win, in the dying minute.

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 10:39 PM
The sooner we all recognise the one true God, this boy, this man, Dylan *!*!*!*!ing Addison the sooner the rapture will be upon us.

Hahahaaaa

Grantysghost
19-10-2022, 10:43 PM
From the GWS pre-lim, Clay Smith's huge hit on Griffin, which resulted in a Bulldog Goal. So sad to think Clay's career was cut short by injury.

And one from the Western Oval vault. Simon Beasley's last-minute mark, from a magpie cross goal short pass, to deny Collingwood a win, in the dying minute.

J54 one of my most memorable moments was at a Ballarat game just after Clay announced his retirement.
He was waiting to do a lap of honour in the function room and I saw him standing there anxiously waiting for them to call him out.
I knew it was the moment, so I sidled over introduced myself, shook his hand and thanked him for 2016!
He was a bit taken a back but once we got chatting about the prelim (we never mentioned the granny) you couldn't stop him.
So glad I did that, and he was as genuine and humble as you would expect.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2022, 10:45 PM
Doug breaking EJ’s record, and starting the flick pass tradition to the new games holder was a good day at the footy.

On the flip side, Ian Collins going after, and getting, Chris Grant was pretty iconic.

Dale Morris playing with a broken back.

EasternWest
19-10-2022, 11:27 PM
Dale Morris playing with a broken back.

Yeah jokes aside, this is the most iconic moment for mine.

https://i.postimg.cc/T1GhD1tZ/images-31.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

1eyedog
19-10-2022, 11:37 PM
I was there too...! He was kicking to the Ponsford stand end I recall it well even though I would've been 12 or something.

Same I was right behind the goals he was kicking to. I thought we'd won.

jazzadogs
19-10-2022, 11:42 PM
Two strong memories from games I was at:

Johnnos stumbling goal to get us over the line against North in Canberra, 2004. I was a young fella and got to hold up the banner, we were sitting right behind the goals so had a great view of the stumble and fumble, and then we got to watch them sing the song through a big glass viewing window. Plus Cam Faulkner played as close to Andrew McLeod as he could ever hope to get.

Second one is a bit random - against Melbourne at Etihad, McCartney years I think, we were well up at half time but then there was a big melee break out after the half time siren. The members wing went wild with huge roars and a big BULLDOGS chant. Great theatre and one of those rare moments where a Dogs home crowd gets REALLY loud.

Twodogs
20-10-2022, 12:23 AM
Nathan Brown running into the goal square to kick a goal and showing the ball to the opposition.
Princes Park probably 97 ish.

Against North. It ended up costing us the game. Pagan showed the footage to the North players at half time and asked them if they were going to put up with it. They came out frothing at the mouth and rolled right over the top of us.

Speaking of North my nomination is the game where we came from 40 points down at 3/4 time and pipped them at the post. The game came down to one marking contest deep in time on, Carey v Matty Croft in the North Melbourne goal square. Jexy Croft outmarked Carey and we won the game.

Another one I remember was in 1978 at Western Oval v Carlton. Carlton had a shocker of a start to the season and Jezza had taken over as (captain) coach from Ian Stewart and they went on a 7 or 8 game winning streak that lifted them off the bottom of the ladder to inside the top 5.

Anyway we played them at Western Oval and just before 1/2 time Carlton were almost 5 goals up and were doing it easy. Jezza and Terry Wheeler went for the same ball and Wheels hit him with a perfect hip and shoulder. Jezza was carried off on a stretcher and we beat a startled Carlton by 5 goals

Bulldog Revolution
20-10-2022, 12:26 AM

The passage of pay that led to it and the goal are right up there as the most iconic moments

Bulldog Revolution
20-10-2022, 12:29 AM
I'm still dirty that we didn't inflict the 'Reverse Arceri' on them and allowed them to kick 3 junktime goals in the last 3 minutes.

That Carlton game is worthy of a mention also

Eastdog
20-10-2022, 12:35 AM
Not much is ever said about this game - an incredible night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWsnlWas_TU

That was a fun night out at Marvel.

Eastdog
20-10-2022, 12:36 AM
The win against the Lions in the Semi final at the Gabba in 2021 was great.

josie
20-10-2022, 12:58 AM

Also in that 2000 game the Libba tackle on a tall Bomber player - was it Alessio? Great rundown from behind by Libba. Crowd went nuts. And in same game Johnno falling to ground head down after I think a Wallis bump with a melee ensuing. I think Johnno was possibly playing possum if I recall correctly, as through binoculars I think I can recall seeing him turning his head sideways to see what was going on.

boydogs
20-10-2022, 01:08 AM
Matthew Boyd soccering the ball from the defensive half all the way through for a goal v Richmond circa 2005

Shane Biggs never forget

Boyd's kicked a goal, from inside the centre square! ****!!

Scraggers
20-10-2022, 03:55 AM
I was at the game in Sydney … 2015. In the wet. That win still sends chills. We knew something was brewing

merantau
20-10-2022, 07:55 AM

Best match winning goal ever kicked at the "G".

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-10-2022, 08:07 AM
The win against the Lions in the Semi final at the Gabba in 2021 was great.

Yep that was the best feeling I've had leaving a football ground. So good to do it in front of the Lion's fans as a Brisbane based Bulldog!
It almost erased the memory of being at the same ground and right in front of Alastair Lynch when he delivered his infamous choke signal to Scott West in a final in the late 90's.

comrade
20-10-2022, 08:54 AM
Bont’s goal of the year against Melbourne when he was a pup (I know he didn’t win but he should have). After a few years of utter dross, it was a moment of genius that signalled that with this kid on board, things were going to be ok.

Mofra
20-10-2022, 10:10 AM

I always found it a bit of a misnomer that Morris' most iconic career moment actually occurred forward of the centre.

Mofra
20-10-2022, 10:12 AM
The Swans game in the early part of the 2015 season. Wood & JJ's late efforts spectacular, and Bevo hugging Murph in the race.
It was a real turnaround story from the last few years. "Holy crap, this Bevo guy can coach!"

Sedat
20-10-2022, 11:23 AM
The Swans game in the early part of the 2015 season. Wood & JJ's late efforts spectacular, and Bevo hugging Murph in the race.
It was a real turnaround story from the last few years. "Holy crap, this Bevo guy can coach!"
Also JJ's kick for goal the year after at the SCG right before the final siren to win us the game. Even Dunstall, who kicked 1,254 of them in his career, was impressed with the kick and commented "he's flushed it".

EasternWest
20-10-2022, 11:24 AM
I always found it a bit of a misnomer that Morris' most iconic career moment actually occurred forward of the centre.

Nothing sums up the beauty of sport and the AFL more than that moment and the players in it.

Think about it, a workmanlike guy with limited skill who only made it by sheer determination, playing with a broken back and at the limits of his physical capacity finds the reserves and the grit for one last effort.

He brings down the highest profile, most dangerous, probably highest paid player in the game just as he's about to turn onto his killer left boot before no doubt sprinting off to get ahead of the ball.

Then the ball spills to Boyd. A kid that had the weight of the world on his shoulders but for one game played like a free man. One moment in time where he had to put all his aspirations, all his fears, all his frustrations into one kick.

It was never going to miss.

The moment is gone in the blink of an eye, but the analysis lasts a lifetime. I still get shivers thinking about it.

In all the shittiness around footy and bureaucracy and boys clubs and gambling, that moment was just about sport and about beauty.

How can it not be the most iconic?

Mofra
20-10-2022, 11:25 AM
Another one.
Matthew Boyd - still wearing 42 I believe - running more than half the length of Marvel kicking the ball along the ground to eventually kick a goal

Twodogs
20-10-2022, 12:06 PM
There was one more iconic moment in that Essendon 2000 game. The footage of a bulldog supporter (his name was Con, he was a mate of mine and is sadly no longer with us) giving the players a rev up as they walked up the players' race at halftime. The footage isbat about 2.30 in the video I've linked above.

Sedat
20-10-2022, 12:13 PM
Trent Bartlett, questionable free kick, deep in time-on in the last qtr, Optus Oval. 2000. Ending Carlton's 13 game winning steak. Pure poetry.

Same season, Matthew Croft beating Wayne Carey in a crucial goal square one-on-one in the dying minutes to preserve our slender lead. We came back from 42 points down in the 3rd qtr of that match against the reigning premier. Wallace had his faults as a coach, but my God he could coach the lights out and change things up in-game better than just about anyone.

Twodogs
20-10-2022, 12:24 PM
Trent Bartlett, questionable free kick, deep in time-on in the last qtr, Optus Oval. 2000. Ending Carlton's 13 game winning steak. Pure poetry.

Speaking of iconic moments. I have a picture of Bubba Smith and Trent Bartlett walking off the ground in that game. There are Carlton supporters hanging over the fence hurling abuse while Bubba shows them the Bulldog on his jumper and Bartlett has his arms raised in triumph. I love that photo. If the house caught fire it's the first thing I'd grab.

bornadog
20-10-2022, 12:31 PM
Also in that 2000 game the Libba tackle on a tall Bomber player - was it Alessio? Great rundown from behind by Libba. Crowd went nuts. And in same game Johnno falling to ground head down after I think a Wallis bump with a melee ensuing. I think Johnno was possibly playing possum if I recall correctly, as through binoculars I think I can recall seeing him turning his head sideways to see what was going on.

Josie the memory is slipping. Libba ran down Scott Lucas, twice. Johnno got bumped by Barnes, and lying down turning his head, I am not sure as I was on the opposite wing.

I do recall when Gia bumped Kosi and they both fell, and Gia turned his head towards Kosi while lying on his stomach to see Kosi lying next to him knocked out. The was a ripper bump.

bornadog
20-10-2022, 12:35 PM
Matthew Boyd soccering the ball from the defensive half all the way through for a goal v Richmond circa 2005

Matthew Boyd - still wearing 42 I believe - running more than half the length of Marvel kicking the ball along the ground to eventually kick a goal

This was the same game.

I recall it was a close match and all 36 players were in one half of the ground when the ball came out and Boyd ran 3/4 of the length of the ground and they couldn't catch him. I think it was the quickest he ever ran.

Scorlibo
20-10-2022, 12:55 PM
Two strong memories from games I was at:

Johnnos stumbling goal to get us over the line against North in Canberra, 2004. I was a young fella and got to hold up the banner, we were sitting right behind the goals so had a great view of the stumble and fumble, and then we got to watch them sing the song through a big glass viewing window. Plus Cam Faulkner played as close to Andrew McLeod as he could ever hope to get.

Second one is a bit random - against Melbourne at Etihad, McCartney years I think, we were well up at half time but then there was a big melee break out after the half time siren. The members wing went wild with huge roars and a big BULLDOGS chant. Great theatre and one of those rare moments where a Dogs home crowd gets REALLY loud.

Iconic moments for me too. I grew up in Canberra and was at that game as a teen, very special to have the Dogs play at Manuka, and what a win. Johnno looked as if he'd got a full body cramp the moment he tried to pick up the ball in the goal square.

Big Will getting his jumper ripped off in that Melbourne brawl was all we needed to really get loud in the crowd. At the time it felt like a line in the sand moment for the club.

Twodogs
20-10-2022, 01:21 PM
Stringer gets a free kick on the half back flank at the MCG. He looks down the line and Bont is there but he's covered by two Sydney players. He looks around and kicks it sideways to a grinning Tom Liberatore. Firstdog slaps me with his footy record and says "can you believe this? We are running down the clock in a *!*!*!*!ing GRAND. FINAL!!!!!! Then he whoops in joy.

October 1, 2016

Bulldog4life
20-10-2022, 01:40 PM
Thought hard about this. It was EJ's last game as captain/coach for me. We won by 3 points at what was called the Western Oval in those days. Beat Hawks. Crowd went nuts after the final siren went and stormed the ground. The 3 quarter time speech EJ gave was INSPIRING. Great memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxEWPAfa_OI

chef
20-10-2022, 01:41 PM
The Wallace spew up speech.

Grantysghost
20-10-2022, 01:46 PM
The Wallace spew up speech.

If I have 1 more of chef's magnificent macaroons I'll spew up!

Happy Days
20-10-2022, 03:09 PM
Jakey Boy burying Kyle Hartigan on the half forward flank at Marvel as he sidestepped him straight to hell to kick his 5th goal in about 30 minutes. May he Rest In Peace.

There’s been “better” moments but don’t know if there’s been many sicker.

soupman
20-10-2022, 03:14 PM
What about the time Shaun Higgins had a set shot for North and as he was doing his breathing exercises in the centre square his 30 seconds ran out and Stringer came flying in and killed him.

That moment had it all, the characters, the anticipation, the excitement of seeing it unfold and then the payoff of it all going as hoped. It was beautiful.

boydogs
20-10-2022, 03:19 PM
This was the same game.

I recall it was a close match and all 36 players were in one half of the ground when the ball came out and Boyd ran 3/4 of the length of the ground and they couldn't catch him. I think it was the quickest he ever ran.

It was a great game. Matthew Richardson at his best on the lead marking low to the ground like he was Jason Dunstall to beat a fast closing Brian Lake. Ryan Griffen outshining Brett Deledio just after he lost the rising star to him. Farren Ray shepherding Matthew Boyd's 100m metre soccer goal

Eastdog
20-10-2022, 03:40 PM

Would be one of the greatest photos in Bulldog history!

bornadog
20-10-2022, 03:40 PM
It was a great game. Matthew Richardson at his best on the lead marking low to the ground like he was Jason Dunstall to beat a fast closing Brian Lake. Ryan Griffen outshining Brett Deledio just after he lost the rising star to him. Farren Ray shepherding Matthew Boyd's 100m metre soccer goal

Enjoy - Richmond up by a point with 30- sec to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDuSmfrpMo

Jeanette54
20-10-2022, 06:12 PM

Pretty hard to go past this one.

soupman
20-10-2022, 06:42 PM
Enjoy - Richmond up by a point with 30- sec to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDuSmfrpMo

Absolute classic Mitch Hahn kick.

merantau
20-10-2022, 07:37 PM
2017 v Swans at Marvel. Liam Picken takes possession inside defensive 50 and launches an audacious, almost sideways, kick to the open side, we keep possession., ball ends up with Travis Cloke who boots it forward where LIAM PICKEN marks on the 50mt line spots Bont streaming forward, (he was close to Picken in defensive 50 at the start of the play) kicks to the square where Bont calmly out marks his Swans opponent, without breaking stride, saunters on and kicks a goal. "Just like that."

merantau
20-10-2022, 07:39 PM
Steve Kretiuk road testing Matthew Lloyd's hand guard. Quite legitimate in my view.

merantau
20-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Absolute classic Mitch Hahn kick.

I was at that game. Pearler.

jazzadogs
20-10-2022, 08:59 PM
It was Scott Lucas that Libba bought down. One second he's running into goal and about to kick the sealer next second he's laying on the ground looking at Libba about to take the free kick and thinking "where the *!*!*!*! did he come from?"

John Barnes was the player who heroically hit Johnno with a fly by right on half time. The siren goes and there were fights everywhere. On the field, in the crowd, it was brilliant. Scott Wynd decided that if Barnes wanted to thump someone then he should try someone his own size. Johnno was so concussed that he tried to punch the club doctor Gary Zimmerman. There's no way he would have been allowed to play on these days.

https://youtu.be/0HCxJFgd36w

I was working in a hospital and Barnes was a patient. Was helping him back to bed and he dropped the foulest fart I have ever heard or smelt. But he Did. Not. React. At. All. I was honestly impressed more than anything.

jeemak
20-10-2022, 09:58 PM
I remember this Murphy goal being one of my favourite ever moments live.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/171599/bob-brings-bulldog-fans-to-their-feet?videoId=171599&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1502448608001

jeemak
20-10-2022, 10:16 PM
It was Scott Lucas that Libba bought down. One second he's running into goal and about to kick the sealer next second he's laying on the ground looking at Libba about to take the free kick and thinking "where the *!*!*!*! did he come from?"

John Barnes was the player who heroically hit Johnno with a fly by right on half time. The siren goes and there were fights everywhere. On the field, in the crowd, it was brilliant. Scott Wynd decided that if Barnes wanted to thump someone then he should try someone his own size. Johnno was so concussed that he tried to punch the club doctor Gary Zimmerman. There's no way he would have been allowed to play on these days.

https://youtu.be/0HCxJFgd36w

It's like watching modern day Rugby League commentary and analysis.

EasternWest
20-10-2022, 10:52 PM
I was working in a hospital and Barnes was a patient. Was helping him back to bed and he dropped the foulest fart I have ever heard or smelt. But he Did. Not. React. At. All. I was honestly impressed more than anything.

He was probably thinking "this guy is supposed to be helping me and he lets rip like that?"

jazzadogs
20-10-2022, 11:07 PM
He was probably thinking "this guy is supposed to be helping me and he lets rip like that?"

As I walked out I flipped him the bird and gave him an absolute tirade of abuse.

Grantysghost
20-10-2022, 11:22 PM
As I walked out I flipped him the bird and gave him an absolute tirade of abuse.
Legend

Bulldog4life
21-10-2022, 10:02 AM

Bloody hospital food.

bornadog
21-10-2022, 10:15 AM

Deserved it too by the sounds.

Wasn't he suing the AFL for his own concussion issues?

Bulldog Revolution
21-10-2022, 04:05 PM
Nothing sums up the beauty of sport and the AFL more than that moment and the players in it.

Think about it, a workmanlike guy with limited skill who only made it by sheer determination, playing with a broken back and at the limits of his physical capacity finds the reserves and the grit for one last effort.

He brings down the highest profile, most dangerous, probably highest paid player in the game just as he's about to turn onto his killer left boot before no doubt sprinting off to get ahead of the ball.

Then the ball spills to Boyd. A kid that had the weight of the world on his shoulders but for one game played like a free man. One moment in time where he had to put all his aspirations, all his fears, all his frustrations into one kick.

It was never going to miss.

The moment is gone in the blink of an eye, but the analysis lasts a lifetime. I still get shivers thinking about it.

In all the shittiness around footy and bureaucracy and boys clubs and gambling, that moment was just about sport and about beauty.

How can it not be the most iconic?

Its the most eloquently made case to date - and because of the compelling nature outlined its hard to disagree

Mantis
21-10-2022, 05:25 PM
Its the most eloquently made case to date - and because of the compelling nature outlined its hard to disagree

This is the first time in any lifetime that something that EW has produced has been described as eloquent.

For that reason, and that reason alone I second this nomination.

EasternWest
21-10-2022, 09:41 PM

Thumbs up from STEVIEEEEE a close second.

This is the first time in any lifetime that something that EW has produced has been described as eloquent.

For that reason, and that reason alone I second this nomination.

I have words.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FArZxLj6DLk