PDA

View Full Version : That player number?

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 09:49 AM
Growing up there were a couple of player numbers I really wanted to wear with regards to what my favorite Footscray player wore.

As a kid it was Bernie Quinlan's number 2. I had a Bulldogs jumper with the #2 on the back of my Footscray jumpers for a couple of years.

Did you used to wear Bulldogs jumpers with your favorite players number on the back?

1eyedog
20-10-2022, 09:56 AM
I started and finished my guernsey career on number 31.

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 09:58 AM
I started and finished my guernsey career on number 31.

Nice one. I can remember some of my mates had a strong interest in the Dogs because of KT.

bornadog
20-10-2022, 10:02 AM
Mine was number 3 due to Teddy Whitten, although I was very young when he was playing in the 60s. When my daughter got her first jumper, I stuck 3 on (chris Grant) as she was too young to know one player from another. As she grew up and got to know the players, she thought Shaggy was "hot" so she switched to 25. Also got Shaggy to sign it for her at the family day events.

Axe Man
20-10-2022, 10:21 AM
I had number 18 - Simon Beasley.

The Doctor
20-10-2022, 11:40 AM
When I was a kid growing up in Tassie I wasn't able to have a Footscray Jumper. Neither of my parents knew what a Footscray was so I had to have a knitted North Hobart Jumper. I had Number 3 on it for John Devine. If I was able to have a Footscray jumper I would have had number 3 on it for Alan Stoneham.

When I grew up a bit and could afford to buy jumpers of my own I bought proper North Hobart & Footscray jumpers (80's style). Both are still waiting for my to put a no.3 on them!

GVGjr
20-10-2022, 11:43 AM
When I was a kid growing up in Tassie I wasn't able to have a Footscray Jumper. Neither of my parents knew what a Footscray was so I had to have a knitted North Hobart Jumper. I had Number 3 on it for John Devine. If I was able to have a Footscray jumper I would have had number 3 on it for Alan Stoneham.

When I grew up a bit and could afford to buy jumpers of my own I bought proper North Hobart & Footscray jumpers (80's style). Both are still waiting for my to put a no.3 on them!

Stoneham was a terrific player and he would have been a good choice for you.

I also like Featherby and Stephen Power and would have enjoyed wearing those numbers.

Twodogs
20-10-2022, 12:51 PM
My first Footscray jumper was knitted by my mum. It had #24 for Gary Dempsey (it may have started out with #3 but I only remember it having #24) I have a couple of old black and white photos of me wearing it. In one I'm looking towards the camera and the sun must be in my eyes because I'm squinting like Clint Eastwood (or maybe I'd just seen The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?) In the other I've got my back to the camera so you can see the #24.

When I was old enough to choose I went with #31 for the jumper and #10 (Mick Egan) for the duffle coat

Bulldog4life
20-10-2022, 01:54 PM
Mine was number 3 due to Teddy Whitten, although I was very young when he was playing in the 60s. When my daughter got her first jumper, I stuck 3 on (chris Grant) as she was too young to know one player from another. As she grew up and got to know the players, she thought Shaggy was "hot" so she switched to 25. Also got Shaggy to sign it for her at the family day events.

Think I have said this before. One of my daughters did and said the same thing ha ha. I still have the jumper signed by a lot of players from those days. She used to call him sexy legs.

Bulldog4life
20-10-2022, 02:08 PM
I had number 28 when I was a kid. I went for the smallest player in the team John Clegg who was 5 foot 4 inches tall or short. I only discovered later in life that he had switched from number 4 to 28 which is unusual. Later Charlie Evans wore number 28.

Smads57
20-10-2022, 06:29 PM
Had the knitted jumper on as a toddler with number 3 (Whitten), then 31 on my duffle coat (Templeton) as an older teenager….

Mofra
20-10-2022, 07:09 PM
8 - Rick Kennedy
So glad that number 8 generally goes to a 'tough bastard' on our list - Daniel Southern, Bernard Toohey, Mitch Hahn, Stef did it justice the first year he joined us.

Axe Man
20-10-2022, 07:19 PM
8 - Rick Kennedy
So glad that number 8 generally goes to a 'tough bastard' on our list - Daniel Southern, Bernard Toohey, Mitch Hahn, Stef did it justice the first year he joined us.

I bet you pulled it back out with pride when Veszpremi was dominating in it.

Twodogs
20-10-2022, 07:56 PM
I bet you pulled it back out with pride when Veszpremi was dominating in it.

I'd keep it handy. Pat is stil a huge chance to come good. Next season maybe?

bornadog
20-10-2022, 11:21 PM
8 - Rick Kennedy

who gets it now?

Danny the snakeman
21-10-2022, 04:01 AM
who gets it now?

Someone good i hope as my bulldog number plate is 8.

Ozza
21-10-2022, 10:01 AM
I got my first footy jumper/started going to VicKick in 1989....so there was only one number to have.

The Hawk's #7.

Those first few years at VicKick - it was

Essendon supporters with #32
North supporters with #35 (Longmire won the Coleman in 1990 as a 19/20 year old).
Carlton supporters with #1
Collingwood with #35
And Dogs in #7.

Mofra
21-10-2022, 10:10 AM
who gets it now?
Wait until after the draft I guess.
If no obvious candidate emerges retire it for a year (although if Sweet improves he'd at least do it justice in the few times he does play)

Mofra
21-10-2022, 10:10 AM
Someone good i hope as my bulldog number plate is 8.
Quality choice

Scraggers
21-10-2022, 12:25 PM
My first jumper had #7 for Dougie. My second was #43 for Rocket Rod McPherson. I was devastated that both went on to play for other clubs.

soupman
22-10-2022, 07:02 PM
I had 15 for Wynd given to me on a woollen jumper, which was cool I guess. Then switched to 16 for Griffen with my next one, and finally a 2 for Murphy before I decided i don't wear guernsey's anymore.

However I really wanted a 35 jumper for Kretiuk. I think I liked his sticker the most in my sticker book, plus Dad told me he was a tough defender which is what i fancied myself as despite actually being a very very soft u11s half back flanker.

Flamethrower
22-10-2022, 08:36 PM
My 1st jumper had the number 31 on the back for the great Kelvin Templeton. Next it was number 18 for the Pieman, and the last time I had a number on my FFC jumper it was number 15 for Murray Rance. I liked my key forwards.