PDA

View Full Version : You get to pick....

bulldogtragic
26-10-2022, 06:09 PM
One retired club player, any club player in the history of the club of your choosing (at their absolute peak), to fit into the Round 1 2023 Team to make it as strong as possible. Who would you choose?

EJ? A little small by current standards for a KPP?
Doug fixing our wing issues?
Crofty or Lake to hold down full back?
Chris Grant anywhere?
Luke Darcy, maybe even 'GF' Tom Boyd in the ruck?
KT or Beaser up forward next to Naughton?
West to pair with Bonts in the centre?
Brad Johnson maybe?

But you only get to pick one player to add to the round 1 2023 Team to make it even stronger. So who do you choose and why?

josie
26-10-2022, 06:52 PM
I was toying up:

Assuming Jones’s body holds up I’ll go for Hawkins on wing. I only saw him at end of his career however I understand from those that saw him play in his prime he was able to attract the ball, quick, evasive, sure by hand & had a beautiful kick. Presuming he was pretty tough and unlikely to shirk a contest. Something I think we’ve been in short supply of. And if Jones’s body does not hold up I’d choose Lake.

However I changed my mind and will select Grant as he was an out and out champion and could play forward or back.

Never saw KT play however I understand many think he is one of best dogs’ players ever, but I’ll stick with Grant.

The Underdog
26-10-2022, 06:53 PM
What, no Ben Hudson?

My initial thoughts were Doug and Granty too, but Darcy would be tough to go past for an effective mobile ruck.

GVGjr
26-10-2022, 07:11 PM
Tough one BT, a real thought starter.

I'm leaning toward Brad Johnson or Brian Lake but wanting to say Bernie Quinlan.

I'll go with Lake for this side.

Lake because there is some doubts on Keath and I think he would compliment Jones and Gardner perfectly.

hujsh
26-10-2022, 07:13 PM
In terms of players I saw at their peak who I can remember well enough it'd probably be Lake. Remembering how he towled up Buddy in his prime he'd probably just about single handedly revolutionise our defence and I doubt there are many other players you could say that about.

Scorlibo
26-10-2022, 07:57 PM
Can't go past Johnno. Two big positional needs we have: small forward and wing, he was elite in both positions. Would bring much needed pace and kicking penetration, plus leadership.

Brian Lake would be my next pick, awesome reader of the ball in flight and we need interceptors.

Happy Days
26-10-2022, 07:59 PM
2009-2010 Lake is one of the best 3 players I’ve ever seen so I’m going with him.

Grantysghost
26-10-2022, 08:07 PM
Chris Grant then space.

GVGjr
26-10-2022, 08:09 PM
Chris Grant then space.

Where are you playing him and who comes out?

Grantysghost
26-10-2022, 08:10 PM
Where are you playing him and who comes out?

CHB. Keath.

He's the best I've seen ever, I remember every week he would come to the bench with a stinger after backing back into a pack and copping a knee to the head or shoulder.

Many forget his courage which was out of this world.

Fun topic! Can I add Bamblett for the forward line?

Testekill
26-10-2022, 08:13 PM
Either Chris Grant or Brian Lake. Take Keath out and put one of them in defence in his place.

GVGjr
26-10-2022, 08:31 PM
Ted Whitten would have been a star in this era as well but with all the camera's he would have to 'curb his enthusiasm' or he might only play 8 games a season.
Kelvin Templeton being paired with Naughton would have been something special
Simon Beasley wouldn't have missed many playing at Marvel
Grant forward or back would be huge
Johnson would still dominate, one the strongest marks especially for his size
Hawkins would dominate as well and not many read the game better than him

I'd add Quinlan and McGuinness would add so much to this team.

Rocco Jones
26-10-2022, 09:49 PM
Chris Grant for mine. He goes to CHB.

GVGjr
26-10-2022, 09:54 PM
Chris Grant for mine. He goes to CHB.

His field kicking as a defender was sensational

bornadog
26-10-2022, 10:09 PM
Chris Grant then space.

CHB. Keath.

He's the best I've seen ever, I remember every week he would come to the bench with a stinger after backing back into a pack and copping a knee to the head or shoulder.

Many forget his courage which was out of this world.

Fun topic! Can I add Bamblett for the forward line?

Same here, still the best ever Bulldog with Bont closing in

Dogs 24/7
26-10-2022, 10:14 PM
In a very close race it's Braddy Johnson on a wing or up forward.

Mofra
26-10-2022, 10:21 PM
Chris Grant, plays CHB or interceptor if we want to go with three talls.
Super football brain, field kicking is outstanding let alone for a big guy.

Left field choice - Minson in his AA year, absolute monster who our mids would love playing with.

jazzadogs
26-10-2022, 10:40 PM
As a forum we seem to have identified 3 key holes in our list - elite defender, elite two-way wing, elite small forward.

If it was a defender, I would choose Lake as I remember his impact most strongly.

If it was a wing, I would choose Griffen (BLASPHEMY!! NETS!!).

If it was a small forward, it would be Akermanis.

But the one player from the history of the club I would choose to have in the round 1 team, is a second Bontempelli.

Topdog
26-10-2022, 10:46 PM
To fix our current team I'd bring back Scott Wynd

hujsh
26-10-2022, 10:47 PM
I get Grant was a great player but is he what THIS team needs?

I doubt he's tall enough for BAD either

The Doctor
26-10-2022, 11:52 PM
All nice players nominated but we have too much nice in the current team. Give me Morris or Picken or Easton, Matty Boyd or Foster even Danny Southern. The team needs some steel.

hujsh
27-10-2022, 12:14 AM
All nice players nominated but we have too much nice in the current team. Give me Morris or Picken or Easton, Matty Boyd or Foster even Danny Southern. The team needs some steel.

Damn. He would be amazing if set to play on the mid/small forwards

Dancin' Douggy
27-10-2022, 01:15 AM
Yeah after a lot of thought I think Chris Grant. CHB. A big solid presence with genuine gravitas and leadership by example.

Dogs 24/7
27-10-2022, 09:40 AM
In a team that lacks some leadership and a hard edge I agree with Doc that we need to overlook the star players and bring in a Matt Boyd or Jose Romero. We have enough talented players and we now need some hard arses.

comrade
27-10-2022, 10:14 AM
Grant to CHF so we can send Naughton back into defence where he truly belongs ;)

EasternWest
27-10-2022, 10:15 AM
In a team that lacks some leadership and a hard edge I agree with Doc that we need to overlook the star players and bring in a Matt Boyd or Jose Romero. We have enough talented players and we now need some hard arses.

Point of order, 292 games, 3 time all Australian, 3 time Sutton medalist, Captain and premiership player Matthew Boyd was a star.

comrade
27-10-2022, 10:23 AM
Point of order, 292 games, 3 time all Australian, 3 time Sutton medalist, Captain and premiership player Matthew Boyd was a star.

Yep, you look at that record and he really is one of the most underrated and under appreciated Dogs of all time.

Dogs 24/7
27-10-2022, 10:30 AM

Fair point but I am guilty of taking him for granted but I never did truly regard him as elite.

bornadog
27-10-2022, 10:33 AM
What about players from other sides as per the OP?

We are looking at current needs so someone like an Eddy Betts would be handy.

Mofra
27-10-2022, 11:11 AM
I get Grant was a great player but is he what THIS team needs?
Grant walks into any team from any club that has ever taken the field. He was that good.

hujsh
27-10-2022, 11:17 AM
Grant walks into any team from any club that has ever taken the field. He was that good.

I'm not suggesting he's not best 22. I'm asking if he'd give us the most bang for our buck. If it was Grant it'd be Grant as a defender (unless you're Comrade and want Naughton down back). I honestly don't remember peak defender Chris Grant and I couldn't find any highlights that weren't just goals he kicked but would he be the full forward smothering, intercept king that Lake was?

Obviously the big advantage Grant has over Lake is Grant was a fantastic kick and Lake was Lake

Dogs 24/7
27-10-2022, 11:50 AM

He's a team of the century player so yes he walks into any Bulldog team. Its curious that most are nominating him as a defender when he be would ahead of all of current forwards. It should be Grant for Ugle-Hagan.

hujsh
27-10-2022, 11:51 AM
He's a team of the century player so yes he walks into any Bulldog team. Its curious that most are nominating him as a defender when he would be ahead of all of current forwards. It should be Grant for Ugle-Hagan.

Is that the BEST use of our magic pick of any past player though? I'd think tall forwards is one of the things we don't need.

Dogs 24/7
27-10-2022, 11:56 AM
Is that the BEST use of our magic pick of any past player though? I'd think tall forwards is one of the things we don't need.

Grant, Naughton and Lobb would be our best tall forward combination so given we do go missing with our scoring it gives us the best chance of kicking winning scores.

1eyedog
27-10-2022, 12:00 PM
KT but we don't need him with Naughton and Marra so I'd choose Grant at CHB. Hard to go past Johnno in the forwardline during his AA Captain season though.

1eyedog
27-10-2022, 12:04 PM
I'm not suggesting he's not best 22. I'm asking if he'd give us the most bang for our buck. If it was Grant it'd be Grant as a defender (unless you're Comrade and want Naughton down back). I honestly don't remember peak defender Chris Grant and I couldn't find any highlights that weren't just goals he kicked but would he be the full forward smothering, intercept king that Lake was?

Obviously the big advantage Grant has over Lake is Grant was a fantastic kick and Lake was Lake

Grant could do everything Lake could do and more with no brain fades.

hujsh
27-10-2022, 12:09 PM
Grant, Naughton and Lobb would be our best tall forward combination so given we do go missing with our scoring it gives us the best chance of kicking winning scores.

If we can't score with Naughton, Lobb, Weightman and one of JUH or fit Bruce the problems are probably upfield.

New suggestion. Libba Snr. His job is to replace any mid who can't tackle until they can tackle.

hujsh
27-10-2022, 12:09 PM
Grant could do everything Lake could do and more with no brain fades.

Fair enough. Like I said I don't really remember his best year as a defender

Axe Man
27-10-2022, 12:11 PM

He should have won a Brownlow at CHB, Goodes is the only other player who wasn't a pure midfielder to win a Brownlow since. He could do it all - defend, intercept and then launch attacks with his exceptional disposal.

Grant forward would give us an incremental improvement, Grant back would transform us completely.

Mofra
27-10-2022, 02:23 PM
He's a team of the century player so yes he walks into any Bulldog team. Its curious that most are nominating him as a defender when he be would ahead of all of current forwards. It should be Grant for Ugle-Hagan.
He's a leader, organiser and one of the most inspiring players we've ever had. It's not just his ability as a player that helps us.
Yes you could swap him for Naughton and play Grant forward - which I'd do late in the game if we were struggling to score.

Scraggers
27-10-2022, 03:47 PM
The OP is a great question, but given our current side, our deficit is in the wings. Our best ever winger was Dougie, so he would be my choice. Grant or Wynd would also fit into this side well, but staying true to the OP, the greatest ever number 7 gets to play the wing one more time.

Jeanette54
27-10-2022, 06:42 PM
Ted Whitten would have been a star in this era as well but with all the camera's he would have to 'curb his enthusiasm' or he might only play 8 games a season.

Ted also had the ability to lift those around him to a higher level, something I see only in Libba or Bont in the current era. Drop anybody and replace them with EJ, it would only be to the team's overall improvement.

The Underdog
27-10-2022, 06:50 PM
The OP is a great question, but given our current side, our deficit is in the wings. Our best ever winger was Dougie, so he would be my choice. Grant or Wynd would also fit into this side well, but staying true to the OP, the greatest ever number 7 gets to play the wing one more time.

Imagine Dougie delivering to our forward line?

Flamethrower
27-10-2022, 08:28 PM
There is a rumour going around on another forum that we may be fixtured against the Giants in round 1 next year.

If that is true, I am selecting either Barry Hall or Charlie Sutton and lining them up on number 4 and telling them to shop early, shop often, and to deliver the shopping with extreme prejudice.

SquirrelGrip
27-10-2022, 11:43 PM
My top 4 choices:

1. Chris Grant at CHB with Naughton at CHF gets me very excited. Then switch Chris forward for the last quarter.
2. EJ could play anywhere today - I’d stick him in the middle or alternatively as that experienced loose defender (a combination of Matt Boyd, Luke Hodge and Scott Pendlebury)
3. Paul Hudson to create goals, pass to our leading forwards, be front and Centre, and just be that natural forward
4. And Dale Morris because he’s just my favourite of all time.

I’d be happy with any of them.

1eyedog
27-10-2022, 11:50 PM
Choco would be pretty awesome to have as well. What a player!

Axe Man
28-10-2022, 10:19 AM
3. Paul Hudson to create goals, pass to our leading forwards, be front and Centre, and just be that natural forward

Interesting choice. In a similar vein there are quite a few medium type forwards from the past 30 years alone that would be pretty handy now. Obviously Johnson has been mentioned, but also Osborne, Dickson, Nathan Brown and even 2015-16 Stringer.

SquirrelGrip
28-10-2022, 10:56 AM
Interesting choice. In a similar vein there are quite a few medium type forwards from the past 30 years alone that would be pretty handy now. Obviously Johnson has been mentioned, but also Osborne, Dickson, Nathan Brown and even 2015-16 Stringer.

I love Johnno but didn't choose him, because he really played as a marking forward rather than a crumber, sharp shooter or passer to our other leading forwards. I feel Hudson was a better fit with our current crop. Also considered Nathan Brown, but he remains a traitor for eternity.

hujsh
28-10-2022, 11:03 AM
I love Johnno but didn't choose him, because he really played as a marking forward rather than a crumber, sharp shooter or passer to our other leading forwards. I feel Hudson was a better fit with our current crop. Also considered Nathan Brown, but he remains a traitor for eternity.

Yeah Johnno is great but if you complain about Weightman going for marks you can't then say you want Johnno forward (wing is fine though)

Axe Man
28-10-2022, 11:15 AM

Yet you are ok with Hudson who by not shepherding Grant in the Prelim probably cost us the 1997 flag? ;)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-10-2022, 11:17 AM
Chris Grant then space.

I'm landing with Grant as well. AT CHB, and I'll let the Match Committee sort out what that means in terms of who comes out.
I just think his versatility in the modern era would be a great combo for someone like Bevo who values positional flexibility. I think we know from his body of work that he could hold down any key post role, but I also reckon his field kicking would be a real bonus further upfield.

Scorlibo
28-10-2022, 11:29 AM
Yeah Johnno is great but if you complain about Weightman going for marks you can't then say you want Johnno forward (wing is fine though)

The point is fair but in his defence he played forward during a time when we had very limited tall forward options, his aerial ability was innate but it was also required at that point in time. I remember Johnno being more than handy when the ball hit the deck.

Left field suggestion on the topic of small forwards - for a truly smart forward who'd register as many score assists as goals, and was as good on the snap as the set shot, Gia might be a good pick.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2022, 11:43 AM
EJ for me. He could play anywhere on the ground. Played some great games as ruck rover. Let's get the flick pass back..;)

jeemak
29-10-2022, 12:25 AM
I think Grant is the player who out of all of them could do the most in all areas of the ground. Though it's particularly as a defender where he'd help us most due to his courage, marking ability, defencive capabilities and directional kicking with each foot that would stand out.

Veterans of this site would know I consider him the best CHB I've seen. You just can't get robbed of a Brownlow due to a Mecuri goal in that position and not be the best ever. I know the AFL luddite community calls out Jackovic as the annointed one, and Silvagni as the full back of the century, but there was nobody in the competition who was as good as Chris Grant at dominating defence and the ground because of it.

Oh, and then he could go forward and actually do enough to win a Brownlow without winning it. So that just makes him all the more appealing as a versatile option.

The way I see Bulldog greats are as follows:

Olden/ Glory Days - Whitten
Dark Ages - KT
Modern - Grant

To me there isn't a world in which Chris Grant isn't the best player for us or just about anyone. He's the most underrated player in AFL history. His handling of the ball, his instincts and his feet were just so far above anyone.

jeemak
29-10-2022, 12:34 AM
Whatever you see here in this, is completely unusual. Imagine anyone today came close to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLGXQMPY75w

bornadog
29-10-2022, 12:53 AM
Whatever you see here in this, is completely unusual. Imagine anyone today came close to this.

Absolute Freak

jeemak
29-10-2022, 01:05 AM
Absolute Freak

It's like how everyone was going crazy remembering how awesome Larry Bird was a few years ago because people stopped and actually remembered.

Chris is the same. It's a shame the highlights show goals mainly, because what he used to do at half back was next level good.

macca
29-10-2022, 04:57 AM

Thanks Jeemak

That’s was a pleasure to watch . For some reason I never recognised how agile Grant was, maybe because I only started to watch the doggie play from 97 onwards , and a big gap missing from 2003 whilst I was overseas

The younger Grant , balance and agility was phenomenal for a big man . His foot skills , are sublime even on the left

I remember a game in 2006 agains the eagles , he started down back and then went fwd and ended up kicking 5 goals

What a champion

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 08:21 AM

Super player, the best I've seen with my own eyes.

It's easy in the brilliance of Bontempelli to forget that.

GVGjr
29-10-2022, 08:38 AM
Super player, the best I've seen with my own eyes.

It's easy in the brilliance of Bontempelli to forget that.

I still recall his first game with us and we were pitted against the Saints and he was wearing the number 29.
He couldn't kick it much past 35mtrs but he was leading out and taking chest marks again and again.
He didn't look like he was overawed by the experience but probably was and I can remember thinking how did we find this bloke. The commentators didn't know much about him but they would have mentioned 'The boy from Daylesford' multiple times in their glowing summaries of his first up performance.
Grant was a special talent and 51 goals in year one was an outstanding effort that underlined his quality.
Barry Standfield also played his first game that day and even spent a few minutes on Lockett.

Glenn 'Galaxy' Coleman was a good player to have around Grant in those early years as he often made sure over zealous defenders couldn't rough him up.

Grantysghost
29-10-2022, 09:36 AM
It's like how everyone was going crazy remembering how awesome Larry Bird was a few years ago because people stopped and actually remembered.

Chris is the same. It's a shame the highlights show goals mainly, because what he used to do at half back was next level good.

He is criminally under rated by the footy world at large.

He was always compared with Carey and Hird and personally I think he is on equal footing with Carey and better than Hird

There was a pack mark he took against Freo? out at Princes Park I'll never forget.

I remember the record breaking game too at the MCG v the Tigers when he got to 330 I believe, I was running late and sprinted what felt like 2ks to get there (was probably 100 metres).

Mitcha
29-10-2022, 11:17 AM

To emphasise the point about his balance and kicking ability is that half of those ten goals shown were on his non dominant left side.
Gun.

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 11:25 AM

Also, just a ridiculous highlights package.

bornadog
29-10-2022, 12:14 PM
Thanks Jeemak

That’s was a pleasure to watch . For some reason I never recognised how agile Grant was, maybe because I only started to watch the doggie play from 97 onwards , and a big gap missing from 2003 whilst I was overseas

The younger Grant , balance and agility was phenomenal for a big man . His foot skills , are sublime even on the left

I remember a game in 2006 agains the eagles , he started down back and then went fwd and ended up kicking 5 goals

What a champion

His first year as a 17 year old when he kicked 50 plus goals was an insight into how good he was going to be. He was also drafted at something like 103rd pick (on memory) - what a find.

Happy Days
29-10-2022, 01:27 PM

That goal against West Coast is absolute filth. It’s like one of those movies that you’ve seen a million times and see something new every time you watch it.

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 01:46 PM
That goal against West Coast is absolute filth. It’s like one of those movies that you’ve seen a million times and see something new every time you watch it.

The blind turn on the shinboner of the century oh my.

jeemak
29-10-2022, 01:54 PM

Yeah, it's next level good. Just put whichever obstacle in front of that you like, I'm still kicking it.

mjp
29-10-2022, 02:47 PM
Those are amazing highlights...

I think we all love Chris Grant but there were times when I thought he was simulataneously:

1/. The best field kick - left foot, right foot, it didn't matter - in the game.
2/. The least likely player to kick a goal from a set shot in the game.

Watching those 1990's/early 2000's highlights though with people standing in the crowd etc...sometimes I watch this stuff and I just feel 'how much have we LOST in this era'. The game is amazing (or can be), the coverage is incredible...but there is definitely an element of passion/emotion that we have lost somewhere along the way.

SonofScray
29-10-2022, 02:48 PM
The Great Man, at CHB.

I could be swayed towards Brian Lake for the current squad and their needs, but Grant for his leadership and skills as a big key position defender adds a little bit more than just the position specific needs that Lake addresses.

jeemak
29-10-2022, 02:52 PM
Those are amazing highlights...

I think we all love Chris Grant but there were times when I thought he was simulataneously:

1/. The best field kick - left foot, right foot, it didn't matter - in the game.
2/. The least likely player to kick a goal from a set shot in the game.

Watching those 1990's/early 2000's highlights though with people standing in the crowd etc...sometimes I watch this stuff and I just feel 'how much have we LOST in this era'. The game is amazing (or can be), the coverage is incredible...but there is definitely an element of passion/emotion that we have lost somewhere along the way.

It's incredibly sanitised as a game day experience, and there's no time to enjoy it as you're being blinded by advertising lights, told to gamble responsibly even if you hadn't considered gambling at all, and screamed at to kiss the person next to you even though she's your married friend who also goes for the Doggies.

Garbage.

SonofScray
29-10-2022, 02:55 PM
To emphasise the point about his balance and kicking ability is that half of those ten goals shown were on his non dominant left side.
Gun.

I remember that goal v Richmond, and noticing at the time he kicked it on his opposite. My dad said to me, that’s close to the best he’s ever kicked. Something about the awe in his statement really lit a fire in me. I started using my opposite all the time after that and ended up playing a lot better through u16s heading into into senior footy as a result.

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 03:23 PM

GREAT point.

I had a similar thought and really loved going to the footy in those days. I remember all our players from that era fondly, even the not so good ones.

Now I still love the game but am definitely way less invested in the being there.

GVGjr
29-10-2022, 04:00 PM
Just throwing out a lesser name for consideration but how would Lindsay Gilbee go now with the new kick in rules?
He could really add some extra spark for us.

Rocket Science
29-10-2022, 04:10 PM

Much to like here but that savage shepherd laid by Kolynuik on that first goal against the Saints. Ooofff.

bornadog
29-10-2022, 11:00 PM
It's incredibly sanitised as a game day experience, and there's no time to enjoy it as you're being blinded by advertising lights, told to gamble responsibly even if you hadn't considered gambling at all, and screamed at to kiss the person next to you even though she's your married friend who also goes for the Doggies.

Garbage.

Don't forget the game has changed because of rule alterations - and in my opinion not for the better.

hujsh
29-10-2022, 11:08 PM
Don't forget the game has changed because of rule alterations - and in my opinion not for the better.

Le Gasp!

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 11:19 PM

You've never mentioned that before.

bornadog
30-10-2022, 11:16 AM
You've never mentioned that before.

Just a reminder incase you missed it. :D

Bulldog Joe
30-10-2022, 12:03 PM

We would never have guessed this could be a viewpoint of yours :cool:

Twodogs
03-11-2022, 01:10 AM
A couple of left field nominations.

Peter Foster. Could play at CHB and CHF and was one of the meanest guys ever to pull a boot on. Opposition players worried where he was when they ran to contests.

Les Bamblett. Lal made good players look foolish with his ball skills and would make our current forward line complete. Park him at the feet of our talk forwards and he'd kick 60-70 goals a year at a conservative estimate.

jeemak
03-11-2022, 02:22 AM

Peter Foster. Could play at CHB and CHF and was one of the meanest guys ever to pull a boot on. Opposition players worried where he was when they ran to contests.

Les Bamblett. Lal made good players look foolish with his ball skills and would make our current forward line complete. Park him at the feet of our talk forwards and he'd kick 60-70 goals a year at a conservative estimate.

Well Lally's a left field call out for you mate.

:)

I don't remember much of 1985 outside of being at the G during finals and seeing some great moments, but that bowl of jet black hair running amok was one of the things that stands out to me.

The other is just this talk and excitement around Doug Hawkins. This guy, Doug Hawkins who was having an amazing year and ripping the competition apart.

Onto Douggie, it'd be interesting to see what a 178cm kid with his skills and natural stamina could do today in the junior ranks. The boy from Braybrook would in all likelihood be a robot like all the others are, and probably on a scholarship at Toorak Tech or some other low level but expensive private school in his draft year, going top ten, maybe twenty.

He'd be dead on the inside, saying the right things when asked.

bornadog
03-11-2022, 10:39 AM

Didn't realise you nominated Lally when I wrote about him in another thread this morning. He was fantastic in 1985.

I have told this story before how we recruited him. He was tied to Melbourne but not getting games and he ended up in Perth living in a caravan park. When Shane O'Sullivan was in WA picking up all the great recruits he got, like Purser, Sewell, Shorty Daniels, etc etc he popped into the Caravan Park, knocked on the door, and Lally's Girl friend opened the door and said to Shane - what do you want. Shane asked if Lally was there, and she said why? Shane said I want to offer him a spot at Footscray, and before Lally could say anything, she said , we will take it.

Some highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPnOVLSvmKw