PDA

View Full Version : Who were our best State Of Origins Players, by State

bulldogtragic
02-11-2022, 10:32 PM
For mainly the older posters, outside the guys like EJ, who were our best SOO players (or consistently selected) in the day by state:

Victoria
South Australia
Western Australia
Tasmania
QLD/NSW/ALLIES

From memory, toward the end of SOO through the 90’s we had some guns playing. Darcy for SA and Bubba I think was BOG for Victoria. Did Grant get many games? With so many gun forwards my memory is they seemed to overlook him more than he deserved.

I’m guessing guys back in the day like Doug, Hardie & Super got picked?

SquirrelGrip
02-11-2022, 10:58 PM
Chocco Royal showed his class in State of Origin.

jeemak
02-11-2022, 11:22 PM

In better teams Choco goes down as one of the all time greats.

GVGjr
02-11-2022, 11:49 PM

He's underrated by the Bulldog faithful. There were times when he was nothing short of brilliant.

GVGjr
03-11-2022, 12:05 AM
For mainly the older posters, outside the guys like EJ, who were our best SOO players (or consistently selected) in the day by state:

Victoria
South Australia
Western Australia
Tasmania
QLD/NSW/ALLIES

From memory, toward the end of SOO through the 90’s we had some guns playing. Darcy for SA and Bubba I think was BOG for Victoria. Did Grant get many games? With so many gun forwards my memory is they seemed to overlook him more than he deserved.

I’m guessing guys back in the day like Doug, Hardie & Super got picked?

Quinlan played both at CHB and at CHF for the Vics.
Super MacPherson played a few great games for Tassie
Glenn Coleman for NSW

GVGjr
03-11-2022, 12:06 AM
Twodogs, this is a thread for you

bornadog
03-11-2022, 12:16 AM
Gary Dempsey 1975 Brownlow Medalist was one of the greats for Victoria and an all time great of the club.

Played in 22 games for Victoria and starred in many.

Grantysghost
03-11-2022, 08:16 AM
Quinlan played both at CHB and at CHF for the Vics.
Super MacPherson played a few great games for Tassie
Glenn Coleman for NSW
I recall Rick Kennedy in the big v.

Sedat
03-11-2022, 10:26 AM
He's underrated by the Bulldog faithful. There were times when he was nothing short of brilliant.
Brad Hardie was awarded BOG in the 1986 SOO match against the Vics despite the resting rovers at forward pocket kicking a combined 9 goals directly on him (Flea kicked 5 and Choco kicked 4).

Choco was a brilliant player and hands-down my favourite from our Malthouse/Wheeler era. He missed a year of footy with a knee reco before he played his first game in 1983 which cost him a yard of pace - he was still an elite player, whether he was on-ball or resting in the forward pocket. Was a travesty that another knee injury stopped him at 199 games and 299 goals in his career.

Mantis
03-11-2022, 12:15 PM
Brad Hardie was awarded BOG in the 1986 SOO match against the Vics despite the resting rovers at forward pocket kicking a combined 9 goals directly on him (Flea kicked 5 and Choco kicked 4).

Choco was a brilliant player and hands-down my favourite from our Malthouse/Wheeler era. He missed a year of footy with a knee reco before he played his first game in 1983 which cost him a yard of pace - he was still an elite player, whether he was on-ball or resting in the forward pocket. Was a travesty that another knee injury stopped him at 199 games and 299 goals in his career.

I have in my mind that he snapped his achilles.

I can recall him being on crutches and getting a huge roar in our last game of his final year when he emerged from the players dugout.

Axe Man
03-11-2022, 12:19 PM
A lesser known one was Simon Atkins who played 4 games for Tassie between 1989 and 1993, including the win over the big V in 1990.

There were quite a few Bulldogs playing involved in that Tassie v Victoria B game - Super Mac, Atkins and Darren Davies for Tassie (plus future dog Paul Hudson), with Foster, Wallace, Libba and Wigney for Victoria (with future dogs Toohey and Romero).

Axe Man
03-11-2022, 12:21 PM

I can recall him being on crutches and getting a huge roar in our last game of his final year when he emerged from the players dugout.

Yep, it was an achilles. I can remember being at that game and being aware of the cruelty of 199 games and 299 goals.

The Doctor
03-11-2022, 12:33 PM
Choco & Hardie were stars.

jeemak
03-11-2022, 01:08 PM
What was the deal with Stuart Wigney?

Sedat
03-11-2022, 01:17 PM

You're right. I remember it was career-ending so I assumed it was the knee but it was his Achilles

Grantysghost
03-11-2022, 01:17 PM
You're right. I remember it was career-ending so I assumed it was the knee but it was his Achilles

Wasn't the phantom drink cart was it?

bornadog
03-11-2022, 01:35 PM

He wasn't much of a player

Axe Man
03-11-2022, 01:36 PM

But he had a magnificent curly blonde mullet.

jeemak
03-11-2022, 01:39 PM
How did he manage to get a game for Victoria?

Grantysghost
03-11-2022, 01:40 PM

Must've been a lot of injuries!

Mofra
03-11-2022, 01:41 PM

I remember that too - everyone in the crowd where I was was yelling out to give him one more game on the bench

Axe Man
03-11-2022, 01:42 PM

It was the B side, but still a surprise looking back.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-11-2022, 02:15 PM
Ted Whitten was the star of interstate games which were not necessarily state of origin. The crowds at the MCG for the games were incredible being one sided. I loved when the crowd lit up when Ted went near the ball, everything he did they adored. He loved the arena, the stage and flamboyantly played it up but still delivered.

F'scary
03-11-2022, 02:28 PM
Doug Hawkins giving Dunstall and Lockett silver service at the MCG.

Mantis
03-11-2022, 02:39 PM

He had one quite good season playing as a roaming CHF which coincided with him playing for Victoria, but when teams played him more physically his form dropped away.... quickly!

Rocket Science
03-11-2022, 04:07 PM
Fondly recall one of our senior assistants having some influence off half back for the Big V in the late 90s.

Y'know, back before our number fives rolled without a team of stylists.

Avoid the rush
04-11-2022, 09:11 AM
Jack Collins played every key position for Victoria and excelled at them all. As already mentioned Brian Royal was elite in these games and John Schultz was a star for Victoria in his day. Who would get a game for the Vics out of our current line up?

bulldogtragic
04-11-2022, 10:31 AM
Jack Collins played every key position for Victoria and excelled at them all. As already mentioned Brian Royal was elite in these games and John Schultz was a star for Victoria in his day. Who would get a game for the Vics out of our current line up?

Bonts gets in. I'd expect a fight over Naughton. Initially grew up in the early years in Victoria, but moved to WA where he played his U/18's footy. I enjoyed the haggling over players and 'state's rights'.

We're pretty diverse. Bonts and and potentially Jack or Smith at the Big V (very hard midfield to crack). Naughton (probably) and English for WA. Daniel for SA.

Axe Man
04-11-2022, 10:55 AM
Bonts gets in. I'd expect a fight over Naughton. Initially grew up in the early years in Victoria, but moved to WA where he played his U/18's footy. I enjoyed the haggling over players and 'state's rights'.

We're pretty diverse. Bonts and and potentially Jack or Smith at the Big V (very hard midfield to crack). Naughton (probably) and English for WA. Daniel for SA.

Libba way ahead of Smith on their most recent seasons and he probably wouldn't get in either. Bailey Dale a chance in the backline.

bulldogtragic
04-11-2022, 11:10 AM
Libba way ahead of Smith on their most recent seasons and he probably wouldn't get in either. Bailey Dale a chance in the backline.

It’s a rediculous midfield at the Big V. I wonder which other state would be the best match up? WA maybe?

Jeanette54
04-11-2022, 12:01 PM

Speaking of Big Vee backline, I seem to remember both Ray Walker and John Jillard gained selection for Victoria, back in their heyday. Also, John Schutz was a regular along wth EJ for a number of years.

Axe Man
04-11-2022, 12:06 PM
Speaking of Big Vee backline, I seem to remember both Ray Walker and John Jillard gained selection for Victoria, back in their heyday. Also, John Schutz was a regular along wth EJ for a number of years.

David Darcy played 4 games as well.

EasternWest
04-11-2022, 01:18 PM

Welcome back mate.

Bulldog4life
04-11-2022, 02:29 PM

Apart from Ray Walker playing in the back pocket for Victoria we also had Charlie Evans and Ian Bryant who both also represented Victoria playing in the back pocket too. All played in the 60's. John Schultz played 21 times for the Big V and he and EJ were our best in my mind playing for Victoria.

Bullies
04-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Simon Beasley for WA

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-11-2022, 02:07 PM
Apart from Ray Walker playing in the back pocket for Victoria we also had Charlie Evans and Ian Bryant who both also represented Victoria playing in the back pocket too. All played in the 60's. John Schultz played 21 times for the Big V and he and EJ were our best in my mind playing for Victoria.

John Schultz represented Victoria every year in his first 10 years at the Club. The only other League player to achieve this feat was Fred Flanagan who Captained Geelong, in their 2 Premiership flags in 1951/ 2

bornadog
08-11-2022, 02:30 PM
John Schultz represented Victoria every year in his first 10 years at the Club. The only other League player to achieve this feat was Fred Flanagan who Captained Geelong, in their 2 Premiership flags in 1951/ 2

Was John the best ruckman to ever play for the club?

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-11-2022, 02:42 PM
Was John the best ruckman to ever play for the club?

John Schultz and Norman Ware , both Brownlow Medallist’s and are 2 of 7 Club Legends rate very highly.
Gary Dempsey would also be another as would Scott Wynd.

Bulldog Revolution
08-11-2022, 02:50 PM

One of the all time interesting players jeemak

Ended up being listed by four AFL clubs - Bulldogs, Sydney, Adelaide Richmond

My argument would be that its unlikely you get listed by four clubs unless you have a level of talent

I seem to remember him having a very good patch for Richmond - half season and a bit

Clearly a great head of hair

BornInDroopSt'54
09-11-2022, 01:23 PM
Simon Beasley for WA
He and Roach played in the same WA team I think.

bornadog
09-11-2022, 02:29 PM
Luke Darcy played for SA because he was born in Adelaide. I thought his father played for Vic but can't find that anywhere.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-11-2022, 06:18 PM
Luke Darcy played for SA because he was born in Adelaide. I thought his father played for Vic but can't find that anywhere.

David Darcy played 4 games for Victoria and was an outstanding Full Back. Was recruited originally from Sunshine which also produced Alan Stoneham, John Nuttall who was part of our 20 in the 1954 Premiership. Ron Howard was another that played with us from Sunshine.

Axe Man
09-11-2022, 06:19 PM

Apart from when I said it a few posts up?

Stevo
09-11-2022, 06:25 PM

Check Post #32

bornadog
09-11-2022, 11:44 PM
Apart from when I said it a few posts up?

Check Post #32

Yes, sorry I meant to say SA, after he went back there for a few years, but looks like he didn't.

Bullies
10-11-2022, 09:52 AM
He and Roach played in the same WA team I think. I'm pretty sure Roach represented TAS