PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs in talks to extend Luke Beveridge contract

angelopetraglia
10-11-2022, 09:48 PM
It looks like we are going to extend Bevo's contract ...

AFL 2022: Western Bulldogs in talks to extend Luke Beveridge contract

Three AFL coaches will be in the final year of their contract next season, but the Bulldogs are hoping to end any Luke Beveridge speculation before then, reports Mark Robinson.

Luke Beveridge and the Western Bulldogs will resume talks on a contract extension when the coach returns from leave next week.

Beveridge, 52, will be in charge in 2023 – his ninth season at the helm at the Bulldogs – but both Beveridge and the club are keen to extend the partnership beyond that.

Club insiders say talks before Beveridge went on leave were positive.

The Bulldogs believe Beveridge is a strong leader and is highly respected, and they also believe Beveridge is committed to continuing at the Dogs.

Football boss Chris Grant and chief executive Ameet Bains will make the recommendation to the board to extend the premiership coach.

A timeline is not in place, but it’s possible, because of the strong interest from both sides, that a deal could be announced over the summer break.

It’s not known if a one-year or two-year offer is in the pipeline.

What is known is the Bulldogs are finalising a three-year strategic plan, which will be announced next year, which will detail everything the club is trying to achieve, which includes both the men’s and women’s football programs.

The Whitten Oval precinct is being rebuilt and is expected to be completed in early 2025.

The Beveridge signature would be a significant addition to the strategic plan.

The football program has already changed with the signing of senior assistant coach Brendon Lade, who had previously worked at Richmond, Port Adelaide and St Kilda.

The Bulldogs believe his experience will be highly valuable in the coaching program.

The Lade appointment in late September came when the club had a three-week post-season review of all football matters.

Although the Dogs made the finals, it was a disappointing season for them, and their inconsistency was on show in the elimination final when Fremantle obliterated them in the second half.

If Beveridge is not re-signed before the season starts in March, he will join Port Adelaide’s Ken Hinkley and Brisbane’s Chris Fagan as the coaches not contracted beyond the 2023 season.

However, the Lions have begun talks on a new deal with Fagan.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2022-western-bulldogs-in-talks-to-extend-luke-beveridge-contract/news-story/a2e5872ff226be6e98c2ff3afb89db6e?amp

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2022, 10:34 PM
Even though he's achieved great things at and for our club, there's still been a number of unacceptable and disappointing years, culminating with a few bouts of poor player standards/behaviours.

Two Grand Finals, one Premiership, 6? Finals appearances is impressive.

But somehow we've also underdelivered, mainly in 2017 and 2022, and have never made top four.

He's also had some run ins with various players/staff and an ongoing battle with the media.

Personally, I'd rather wait before we commit. Which sounds... Weird, given what he HAS achieved, and there's always the question of 'well who do you replace him with', but for mine, 2023 is a BIG year for the playing group as much as it is for our coaching group and administration. Bevo included. Re-signing him now kind of screams of desperation in that a club who once struggled, is afraid of life-after-Bevo. At times, I wonder if he has too much control.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-11-2022, 10:38 PM
Now that Alastair Clarkson is under investigation and we did not previously approach him well I say fantasic, all the way with the Beveridge Bulldogs.

Vred
11-11-2022, 04:33 AM
Wouldn't be doing a St.K and signing too early, I'd be waiting to see where we are tracking mid season before pulling the trigger.

After this season my confidence in Bevo has dropped to a record low, team selection and game day tactics with the inability to adapt make my hair fall out, 2022 threw up one to many red flags for me to want to pull the trigger on a contract extension for him now.

Top 4 and a prelim next season is my benchmark, an extended contract should ride on something close to that.

bornadog
11-11-2022, 10:00 AM
Great move to extend Bevo, great coach, with a great record - best we have ever had.

With Lade coming in to assist, this will take some work load off Bevo and he will be able to be more effective.

GVGjr
11-11-2022, 10:11 AM
Wouldn't be doing a St.K and signing too early, I'd be waiting to see where we are tracking mid season before pulling the trigger.

After this season my confidence in Bevo has dropped to a record low, team selection and game day tactics with the inability to adapt make my hair fall out, 2022 threw up one to many red flags for me to want to pull the trigger on a contract extension for him now.

Top 4 and a prelim next season is my benchmark, an extended contract should ride on something close to that.

Bevo has been an excellent coach so I think we should extend his contract by 2 more years but you raise some valid concerns.
Lets hope a revamped football department clears his focus and the club starts to perform in line with the talent we have.

Testekill
11-11-2022, 12:28 PM
I'd wait until mid next season and see how we're going, we had two great years with him at the helm, one or two solid years and then three years where we massively under performed.

F'scary
11-11-2022, 02:03 PM
If we are going to extend for two years, I would do it before the start of 2023 and get it out the way so everyone knows where they stand and can focus on winning games.

For every viewpoint that says he has underachieved, there is another that says, maybe we in fact overachieved.

GVGjr
11-11-2022, 02:39 PM
If we are going to extend for two years, I would do it before the start of 2023 and get it out the way so everyone knows where they stand and can focus on winning games.

For every viewpoint that says he has underachieved, there is another that says, maybe we in fact overachieved.

I'm confident it will be done well before the start of next season.

bornadog
11-11-2022, 02:55 PM

Agree, we don't need distraction during the season.

SonofScray
11-11-2022, 07:07 PM
The timing to make a change doesn't feel right.

Personally, I'd not offer him another contract, but the wise thing to do is book him in on a minimum length now and make a longer term call at the end of 2023.

Dogs 24/7
11-11-2022, 07:17 PM

As much as he has done for us I agree there are some red flags but he was always going to be given another contract.
Top 5 should be the benchmark and we shouldnt accept soft excuses if we dont play the sort of football to get us there.

MrMahatma
11-11-2022, 08:04 PM
I’d give him 3 years. Not sure Hunter and Stringer (who have been moved on mind you) are Bevo’s fault.

Gun coach.

WBFC4FFC
11-11-2022, 08:19 PM
Agree, we don't need distraction during the season.

Would be highly destabilising.

Teams would be making approaches throughout the season.

The talk is for 2-yrs too, which is appropriate to show his worth. It's not like we're locking-in another long-term deal. He has a decent list on paper to coach who should be in the window now. If he underachieves over that 2-yr period, then the Club could easily attract another coach, knowing the side is still decent.

FrediKanoute
12-11-2022, 09:49 AM
Lock it in I say. If he has a bad, bad year then we spend money paying him off and getting someone else in. He will get poached - proven coach. Given there is no one remotely better available on the market why would you give the opposition a sniff.

Throughandthrough
12-11-2022, 10:06 AM
Great news!

Dogs 24/7
12-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Lock it in I say. If he has a bad, bad year then we spend money paying him off and getting someone else in. He will get poached - proven coach. Given there is no one remotely better available on the market why would you give the opposition a sniff.

We should not be scared to pay him out if we have a bad year in 23 because there has to be other coaches in waiting out there like McRae Kingsley and Longmuir. We should back Beveridge but if the results don't flow we should not keep him on because he has a big contract or we might get some bad press.

Hotdog60
12-11-2022, 10:41 AM
I give him two years and the option for a third if we are pointing in the right direction.
I have followed the dogs for 50 odd years and he has been the best coach we have had in my life time.

G-Mo77
12-11-2022, 11:41 AM
As much as he has done for us I agree there are some red flags but he was always going to be given another contract.
Top 5 should be the benchmark and we shouldnt accept soft excuses if we dont play the sort of football to get us there.

And we don't finish top 5, have an early exit and underachieve again we've got him locked in for another 2 years.

I'm in 2 minds, it would be a distraction off field had he not committed. There would be speculation all season on where he may be going or if we're going to sign him etc. Then there is the other side of the coin, we have another underachieving season and we'd either have to see out his contract or pay him out.

I don't lean ether way FWIW.

jeemak
12-11-2022, 11:46 AM
If we've had a review that's suggested he needed some support, and we've gotten him Lade at the same time the players have on multiple occasions put their hand up for the poor season then giving him an extension of two years says that we're backing him and we're good to go for a tilt.

Having him walk out now would be incredibly destabilising, and we don't need that when we're supposed to be primed.

G-Mo77
12-11-2022, 12:15 PM
If we've had a review that's suggested he needed some support, and we've gotten him Lade at the same time the players have on multiple occasions put their hand up for the poor season then giving him an extension of two years says that we're backing him and we're good to go for a tilt.

Having him walk out now would be incredibly destabilising, and we don't need that when we're supposed to be primed.

Do we think Lade is enough? Maple is gone and there was a rumor on Rohan Smith departing as well, although haven't heard anything since.

Webb and Spangher still there, no replacement for Maple. I don't think we've done enough personally.

jeemak
12-11-2022, 04:13 PM
Do we think Lade is enough? Maple is gone and there was a rumor on Rohan Smith departing as well, although haven't heard anything since.

Webb and Spangher still there, no replacement for Maple. I don't think we've done enough personally.

Perhaps we're not done, though it is getting a bit late in the year to be making substantial changes.

However, Maple was in a developmental role for his last years with us, and I think many believe it's the senior team preparation and match day stuff that needs attention.

GVGjr
12-11-2022, 04:16 PM
Perhaps we're not done, though it is getting a bit late in the year to be making substantial changes.

However, Maple was in a developmental role for his last years with us, and I think many believe it's the senior team preparation and match day stuff that needs attention.

My understanding is there are a few more changes and it might all have to wait until the replacement for Maple is appointed.

bornadog
12-11-2022, 06:43 PM

Last few years he has been Development and Operations Manager. Not sure what Operations Manager does.

jeemak
12-11-2022, 09:58 PM
Last few years he has been Development and Operations Manager. Not sure what Operations Manager does.

Manages operations.

EasternWest
12-11-2022, 10:23 PM
Manages operations.

Dewey knows more.

bornadog
13-11-2022, 12:19 AM
Manages operations.

Very funny

Logistically though? What is his every day job? I can understand the term in a manufacturing or retail environment, but struggle to see how it is part of coaching

jeemak
13-11-2022, 12:22 AM
Very funny

Logistically though? What is his every day job? I can understand the term in a manufacturing or retail environment, but struggle to see how it is part of coaching

Are you yanking my chain BAD?

A football club is purely "operational". It doesn't produce anything, it literally just operates.

FrediKanoute
13-11-2022, 09:57 AM
We should not be scared to pay him out if we have a bad year in 23 because there has to be other coaches in waiting out there like McRae Kingsley and Longmuir. We should back Beveridge but if the results don't flow we should not keep him on because he has a big contract or we might get some bad press.

Agree wholeheartedly with this!

bornadog
13-11-2022, 09:21 PM
Are you yanking my chain BAD?

A football club is purely "operational". It doesn't produce anything, it literally just operates.

Ok so he does nothing

Rocco Jones
13-11-2022, 09:25 PM
Being able to sack a coach and only paying out six months of the contract really takes out a lot of the risk with a longer term deal.

In effect, we could add two years to the contract and sack him even during this year and not pay out any/much more.

GVGjr
13-11-2022, 09:52 PM
Being able to sack a coach and only paying out six months of the contract really takes out a lot of the risk with a longer term deal.

In effect, we could add two years to the contract and sack him even during this year and not pay out any/much more.

That's only if the AFL are contributing directly to the club like StKilda and North etc so I'm not sure if we have that option but we might.

Rocco Jones
13-11-2022, 10:00 PM
That's only if the AFL are contributing directly to the club like StKilda and North etc so I'm not sure if we have that option but we might.

Ah, didn't know that. I'd prefer us not to use it regardless as I think it is wrong but if we are staring down a multi-year payout....

angelopetraglia
14-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Another piece in The Age today https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-beveridge-contract-debate-in-front-of-the-western-bulldogs-20221114-p5bxz1.html

Vred
14-11-2022, 01:39 PM
Another piece in The Age today https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-beveridge-contract-debate-in-front-of-the-western-bulldogs-20221114-p5bxz1.html

Really really still don't like the fact that we're seemingly only adding one additional coach this off season... With the huge increase to softcap you'd think we could fit another talented brain in the coaching box.

Bulldog Revolution
14-11-2022, 01:49 PM
FWIW We should have a fair idea if Beveridge is the right man to lead us forward.

I understand the rationale other personnel moves made to get resources into spots needed (e.g Lade) after we lost King and Hansen late in our buildup to 2022 - effectively putting us in a spot where we lost a lot of key people who had existing relationships with our playing group. Even when we replaced them, with new assistants, it takes time to build relationships and trust with players. I'd expect Spangher and Webb to be even better as assistants with us in year 2. I dont have reason to doubt the ability of Bevo to appoint people around him who bring their own strengths.

If we think Bevo is the right person, then I have no problem with giving him another 2 years.

I would be extremely disappointed if we then buckled to media pressure in 2023 if we dont have a great first 10 weeks etc. If we think we have the right person leading, then stay the course and back them in.

I'm backing in Bevo to be able to rennovate, restump and rewire this group. He has a track record that shows he can do this.

Yes, he hasn't historically been perceived as the hardarse that other head coaches have (e.g Clarko, Ross the Boss) but obviously there is strengths in his more relational approach - he tries to be understanding that the players arent robots but wants them to do the right things - perhaps sometimes they dont manage that responsibility well BUT generally a good team sets its own standards, and polices its own behaviours (Wheeler 90; 91; 92; 93; 94).

MrMahatma
14-11-2022, 04:21 PM
Really really still don't like the fact that we're seemingly only adding one additional coach this off season... With the huge increase to softcap you'd think we could fit another talented brain in the coaching box.

I guess it depends how much the 1 extra coach allows others to play to their strengths also.

Grantysghost
15-12-2022, 09:47 PM
Word on the street is a two year extension.

chef
15-12-2022, 10:03 PM
Just got a text from the club about it

whythelongface
15-12-2022, 10:06 PM
Good move. Happy about that and provides certainty for the next few years (if results are favourable). However we need to make top 4 and contend for the flag as a minimum next year.

hujsh
15-12-2022, 10:07 PM
I'm sure some will be annoyed but I think it's good to have it out of the way now.

Eastdog
15-12-2022, 10:13 PM
Just got a text from the club about it

Me too.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-12-2022, 10:19 PM
I've been a harsh critic at times, but he's still our best performing coach, and as long as he's motivated and energised there's probably no better fit for our club.

kruder
15-12-2022, 10:20 PM
Can you see the passion in his eyes? Got to love Bevo will go down as our best ever coach.

angelopetraglia
15-12-2022, 10:23 PM
Robbo with a piece in the Herald Sun saying that he knocked back offers from rival clubs. Great news for us to extend Bevo.

divvydan
15-12-2022, 10:25 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1258884/

GVGjr
15-12-2022, 10:39 PM
I mentioned on the preseason thread yesterday that Bevo was up an about. There was a rumour floating around yesterday

Grantysghost
15-12-2022, 10:47 PM
It's good news.

Reckon he will crack the top 4 in the next 3 seasons.

bulldogtragic
15-12-2022, 10:50 PM
All good, but no excuses.

Jones, Lobb, Buss, Clarke, Gallagher, Baker, one spot spare, 2 x F1, F2, 3 x F4 and millions in cash.

Minimum prelim by 2025 is a generous expectation. Although I think another GF with this list and opportunities next off season is the litmus test. Hopefully a flag. He’s got the cattle, gun players, exciting kids and future list opportunities. Time to bring it home again Bevo, don’t worry about your contract it’s sorted. Time to bring it altogether again.

The Doctor
15-12-2022, 11:06 PM
Great news. Hope he gets his mojo back now and the club have built a better support network around him.

GVGjr
15-12-2022, 11:10 PM
Great news. Hope he gets his mojo back now and the club have built a better support network around him.

It's really noticeable how many coaches are at the training sessions now. Bevo gets around with the players and from my limited exposure to it he just seems to have a lot more bounce about him.

Prince Imperial
15-12-2022, 11:25 PM
Robbo with a piece in the Herald Sun saying that he knocked back offers from rival clubs. Great news for us to extend Bevo.

I heard from someone who knows him personally that Essendon were right into him but he didn't want to go there because he hates them!

SonofScray
15-12-2022, 11:34 PM
The only reasonable decision and he is right, it’s a great show of faith, without being silly.

Get cracking Bevo.

bornadog
15-12-2022, 11:47 PM
I heard from someone who knows him personally, that Essendon were right into him but he didn't want to go there because he hates them!

Love him even more just for that. Hate that club with a passion

GVGjr
16-12-2022, 07:55 AM
The only reasonable decision and he is right, it’s a great show of faith, without being silly.

Get cracking Bevo.

Signing him early meant a shorter deal but I think everyone would be happy with that. 2 extra years was the right number.

SquirrelGrip
16-12-2022, 09:18 AM
Luke Beveridge tell-all interview: The Western Bulldogs coach opens up to Mark Robinson

Everyone has their view, but who is the real Luke Beveridge? In an exclusive interview, Mark Robinson sits down with the Bulldogs coach to find out.

Who is the real Luke Beveridge?
In an exclusive tell-all interview, the Bulldogs coach – who has just re-signed until the end of 2025 – opens up to Mark Robinson about the truth, lies and everything in between.

Mark Robinson: You probably want to look towards 2023, but can we talk about 2022? How did you deal with the season and the finals loss?

Luke Beveridge: It’s important you pick up your group and take your group into the future, especially when things finish in quite a dark spot at the end, and the past two years have been that way for us. So, it’s part of my job to reassure them we can go to greater heights. That’s my mandate and that’s what I’m doing at the moment. But there’s no doubt I still think about it (2022). Year on year when you don’t win the flag you always ask yourself the question whether or not you went as far as you thought you were capable of. And when games are so close, and especially when they’re elimination finals and the possibilities after that … I said way back in ‘15, I thought we could win it in our first year, and we got beaten by the Crows by seven points, and people were surprised at that. But when you think about how things turn on a dime, especially in a finals series, there’s always missed opportunities along the way. And last year, I think there was absolutely a missed opportunity to go further.

MR: I looked at the Dogs at different times through 2022 and asked: Who is this mob? Where are they? Fair questions?

LB: These days people look at names on paper and reputations through a midfield and think, why aren’t they winning the flag every year? But we all know you need a broader spectrum than just some names on paper. My overwhelming belief in my time is we’ve squeezed a lot out of ourselves. We’ve had some challenges on and off the field like any club does, but what we haven’t been able to do is sustain anything. There are reasons for that, there’s no excuses, just reasons for it. That’s been a frustration. But when you’re thinking about core football philosophy and the way your program runs, the way you teach, the blend you want the team to achieve in the main phases of the game, it’s been about sustaining it. Last year, and I’m not a big stats person, I don’t put up KPIs on the boards or around the rooms, but if we are to point to what really fell down it was the defensive principles of the game. The previous year, defending from our forward 50 to the whole length of the ground we were No. 1 …

MR: From No. 1 to what?

LB: No. 16. It’s a dramatic fall.

MR: In the elimination final, you were up by seven goals and couldn’t defend in the second half. A microcosm of your season?

LB: Yep. The players will tell you there’s differing match-day plans from week to week, but they all revolve around your core principles and style, and what we’ve done at different times is move away from the things that have served us well. And in the final we did that. We were really territory based in the early part of that game coming out of the back half, but then we started to look for things that weren’t there, and made fundamental errors which gave Fremantle momentum. And I think the crowd was louder than the grand final the year before, and we didn’t manage it well enough at all.

MR: How much responsibility do you take for the second half?

LB: I take full responsibility.

MR: So, what did you learn this year?

LB: It’s one of those questions where you’d like to speak off the record … but what I’ve learnt is the blends across the lines need to be on point to achieve that balance in the phases and we haven’t had it. We don’t feel like (because of injury) we had the scope to work hard enough in the main two phases of the game.

MR: How are you going to balance the abundance of talls you have in the squad: English, Naughton, Lobb, Ugle-Hagan, Bruce, Jones, Keath, Gardner? Is Darcy going to play forward and is the young fella from the most recent draft, Jedd Busslinger ready to play back?

LB: I think the young guys need a separate category. Sam Darcy hasn’t done a pre-season. He’s come back and he’s not ready now, he hasn’t done a main session. We all think in the future he will be a forward-ruckman or a ruck-forward, but while he’s trying to find his feet at AFL level we have to make sure he can play four quarters. He wasn’t ready for that last year. And he’s a long way away from being anywhere near the footballer he’s going to be, even for next year. Jedd Busslinger is going to be a slow burn. He’s a long way away from playing AFL footy. He’s a project. But, yeah, we’ve got a lot of depth with our keys.

MR: And Naughton, forward or back? He was banged up in the back half wasn’t he?

LB: He’s got legacy sort of injuries that hamper him a little bit. But he will still play front end. He’s kicked over 50 goals in the past two years and he just turned 23 last month. He’s another very young key forward. No one asks anyone to consider that before they work out whether we’re absolutely in the slot. Because I think every year we’re a chance to be the best, but it’s on the premise those kinds of guys do shoot the lights out. So with him, Rory and Jamarra, and then working out who plays around them, it’s going to be a big challenge for us.

MR: So, Bruce has some work to do? Could he go back?

LB: He’s going to play a bit of back through the pre-season, but I’ve said to Josh, he hasn’t lost his position outright, it was just that he came back from injury and it was tough to re-emerge after a long period out. He’s had a good pre-Christmas period, so we will get him ready just in case we need him down back, knowing full well he can play forward. But with Liam Jones, Ryan Gardner, Sam Darcy possibly, Tim O’Brien is still there as a back-up and Alex Keath is still there, there’s a lot of options. We just have to step up through other areas. The wingers are an open book. We think Oskar Baker will be good for us.

MR: Is Bailey Smith an inside mid for good?

LB: He has been. He might start forward at a centre bounce, and he might not always be in at the centre bounce but it doesn’t mean he’s not playing in the midfield.

MR: How injured was Bontempelli at different times through 2022?

LB: He doesn’t look like he’s quick but he is powerful, and he had a niggle or two which were holding him back with his power, which affected his whole game. He’s not going to make excuses, but in the end, at the pointy end, he started to play some of his best footy. But for a time he got frustrated with himself but he’s in good order now.

SquirrelGrip
16-12-2022, 09:19 AM
MR: Luke, why have so many players left this footy club? Your best and fairest winner in Josh Dunkley for example? Why do they leave when they seem to be good players or have good footy left in them?

LB: We’d have to go through each one and there’s probably a different reason for each one.

MR: Anything to do with you and your relationship with them?

LB: No. As far as instigating anything, the only one I’ve ever instigated is Jake Stringer. Everyone else, I always had a really strong relationship with. Lewis Young is a good example. Lewis was always on the fringe of being first-pick key back. We were criticised for how we used Lewis at the end of 2021, but when your key forward goes down with an ACL (Bruce) and you need another key forward to have any chance of winning the flag, you’ve got to make a pretty significant decision. Because Tim English wasn’t necessarily dominant in the ruck but was probably our next best key forward, we had to make a decision. Lewis is not a ruckman, but we had to find a way to get there, and he only went out of the side when Stefan (Martin) came back. Youngy just got a better offer and a promise of more opportunity and that’s what happened with a few players and that happens at every club.

MR: Dunkley?

LB: It’s a challenge to answer that question.

MR: Why? How was your relationship with him?

LB: Terrific. Strong. Always close.

MR: So, you weren’t the reason why he wanted to leave. What was the reason?

LB: He would’ve been offered a better deal, but we still offered him a lucrative contract.

MR: Do you know why he left?

LB: Probably the Essendon approach highlighted to him how much he could’ve possibly earned at another club, and that would’ve been part of it. I think it’s a combination of maximising your opportunity, and leveraging good form, and we haven’t been able to satisfy him as far as his contractual demands go. We did our utmost to keep him during the Essendon negotiation, and he was pretty comfortable with that but ultimately we weren’t able to stop this one.

MR: The footy world always saw Lachie Hunter as a Bulldogs person, but then he lost his way with life. Did he simply need a new somewhere or did he want to desperately leave?

LB: We all felt it might be good for him. He needed to implement some change in his life more than just his footy, and he’s been quite public with that. Initially, he absolutely wanted to stay, but he came around to the idea that maybe it would be good for him and his wellbeing to pursue the next part of his career somewhere else. What happened with Lachie is he had so many challenges along the way, then in your own environment people start to worry about whether or not you can trust the man and the person. He was sensitive to that and he wanted to make sure the crew over at the Demons off a new start would be able to trust him and he wanted to start on a new frontier. But if Lachie said, ‘no, no, I want to stay’, he would still be here.

MR: So you put a man’s mental health over his football career?

LB: Always put their own personal wellbeing and life over their footy, always do. It has to be that way. It’s part of the challenge of sustaining your run in this role. If you don’t, you can lose the rest of the group pretty quickly.

MR: Ever feel you’ve lost the group, Bevo?

LB: I would have to say I’ve never lost them.

MR: What’s the greatest misconception about you, Bevo, bearing in mind people said there were issues with you when your assistants, Steven King and Ash Hansen, departed at the end of 2021?

LB: The problem is people just drum up ideas and rationale that are just fiction. And this is a prime example. We come out of the hub in 2020, and Kingy thinks he needs a sea change. While he’s up there, he speaks to Mark Evans (Suns chief executive), and says ‘if you need a coach, I’ll move the family up here’. I was so supportive of that because I was really grateful for what he’d done. He’d been with me from the start and been an enormous contributor. That’s how that happened. Ash got a terrific offer from Carlton and we should’ve been able to match it financially. But if you’ve got aspirations to be a senior coach, it’s good to go and work in another environment, and Ash felt that way. We were supportive, but again, do we lose a good contributor and a great person, absolutely. But we got in two sensational people in Marc Webb and Matthew Spangher who have been outstanding.

MR: How do you feel the coaching industry is going when a bloke like Brett Ratten is sacked after being recently reappointed?

LB: It’s disturbing, absolutely disturbing for Brett and his family, but to think the people who initially backed him and contracted him, and who did a backflip …. there had to be pressure from certain divisions for that to happen I would’ve thought on the people who initially made the decision. I’m really sad for Brett but also for the Saints that they weren’t able to see that through and say ‘we’re still backing Brett in regardless of an opinion here and an opinion there’.

MR: How much did you need a Brendon Lade type to join the club as a senior assistant?

LB: We believed we wanted to bring someone in who could help nurture our rucking players. We did need another full-time coach, so when we discovered Brendon might have itchy feet at St Kilda, we dived in pretty quickly to coach our midfield but also the opportunity to spend some time with our rucks.

MR: Is it a misconception you don’t like the media or is it in fact that you don’t like parts of the media?

LB: It’s a misconception. I had a conversation with one of my players the other day and I said, what you’ve got to understand is for 100 journos or media personalities, 99 might write a negative piece if you’re not going so well, but they will equally want to write a positive piece when you’re going well. Occasionally, you will get one or two who will get nasty, but the advice I gave was don’t treat them all like the one or two you’re filthy with. And I’m exactly that way, I respect everyone’s role in the media. But what I am is paranoid about what my players think of me, absolutely paranoid. So the less I do, the less outspoken I am, the better off I am here. That’s the way I feel. Even with this piece, I’m reluctant to do them because they are about me. My life is public enough, I don’t want it to be any more public. And the other thing that happened is when the pandemic hit, the AFL made decisions around budgets and most of us had to re-prioritise and what I didn’t have time for was the narrative that wasn’t necessarily true or time spent with people close to me who go through the daily and weekly struggle of being emotional around my situation, so the less media I do the better it is for everyone.

MR: Did you ever give the Tom Morris spray any thought a week after it happened or did you actually go into some depth about what happened?

LB: I still think about it.

MR: Do you regret it?

LB: I regret the way it was done, where it was done, how it was done, I regret all of that. The one thing that conflicts with those regrets is the protective nature of my personality, and how I felt at the time about the seriousness of what had happened. If I had my time again, if we had known the circumstance of what was happening in the door when I walked in, we would’ve been more prepared. But absolutely it was the one time in my eight years when I felt I let my club down, myself down, because others had to wear some of that criticism, not just me, and that’s what I felt most guilty about.

MR: I wrote an article the next day asking: RUOK? Were you?

LB: I get that and the perception of my wellbeing at the time. No doubt there was a build-up of emotion. It wasn’t as though I was struggling in any significant way other than the frustration around some of that stuff that was going on. I was totally fine, but I was significantly hampered afterwards with the fallout. And I’m just hoping that people have some level of appreciation for how I was feeling based on what happened in the aftermath to the other party. But I get that every media person in the land thought ‘hey, if he’s having a go at one of us, what’s to stop him from having a go at someone else’. That’s not the way I roll.

MR:Try not to take offence with this next question, but coincidences in this world can be quite unbelievable. Did you know anything of the Tom Morris audio before it was released the next day?

LB: No. I didn’t know anything about it.

MR: Have you spoken to Tom since?

LB: No.

MR: Will you?

LB: No. You always give people chances when you’ve known them for a while. I’ve found it hard, when people have gone hard, to forgive and move on unless someone has come to me later on and said let’s work this out. But, no, there’s no need for me to be in contact.

MR: Some observers say Beveridge is a good coach, but he’s never finished top four. Does that annoy you or do you even care?

LB: If the glass is half empty, or if you’re trying to pick at someone and that’s the angle you want to take, well, OK, take that angle. I don’t get emotional about it. But we want to finish top two and we haven’t been able to do it. And that gets back to your capacities and capabilities of that year. Do you believe if you squeeze everything out of yourself you can get there? I always start with that belief that we can, and it’s always disappointing when you don’t. I expect to finish high up, I expect that we’re going to play off in a grand final, and they’re thoughts I want to put in my players’ heads.

MR: When, after the elimination final loss, did you pick up your players emotionally and begin to take them forward.

LB: Day two back here.

MR: Sorry, after the actual game. Was it Monday, Tuesday?

LB: The Wednesday afternoon was when we really spoke about it as a group, about the year and about the game included. It was a pick-me-up exercise but a realistic talk about the future and what the expectations were when they left the building, of each other more than anything. I don’t believe in rubbing anyone’s noses in it because it’s your own nose you’re rubbing in it.

MR: Misconception or truth that you have too much power at the Bulldogs?

LB: Who says that? You know who says it, just the one journalist. It’s made up. Over the years, you strike a balance of delegating responsibility which I feel like I’ve done pretty well. When Marcus Bontempelli or Jack Macrae or Ed Richards get up at the presentation night, they thank the people they’ve worked closely with, they don’t thank me. And when they do that, I think it’s fantastic.

MR: The “Real Luke Beveridge’’ is not a bad headline, separating the lies from the truth.

LB: People who know me say, how are you going? Because they know it’s just bulls***.

MR: So, people make a lot of stuff about you?

LB: Maybe because I’ve struggled with my life being a bit more public and maybe at times I’ve tried to make it less public when you can’t. And maybe it’s forced people to start a different narrative.

MR: Where’s footy heading in 2023?

LB: There’s no doubt the appetite around the financial pieces to the game have influenced the spike in performance. The AFL will tell you they are about two things, the broadcast and who’s watching, and the gate, and everything else matters but not compared to those two. So, when it comes to your own club, what matters is your membership and your supporter base, and what sort of football they’d like you to play, and your corporate partnerships and whether they are proud to be on your apparel and be worn by your constituents. When I first started, I already had that appetite of risk (football), we played a pretty ballistic style, and clubs have just continued to push the boundaries on that. Everyone is influencing each other, and each year one or two teams are doing it better than the others.

MR: So, what’s next?

LB: Clubs will continue to challenge each other with speed, and that’s what people like to watch.

azabob
16-12-2022, 09:46 AM
Thanks for posting SG.

I didn't mind that read. Nothing too ground breaking but good to hear Luke's thoughts on things.

bornadog
16-12-2022, 10:18 AM
Really enjoyed that read and thank you for posting as I don't read that paper.

For me the interview and answers reinforces how good a person Bevo is and how lucky we have been to have him since 2015.

Top 2 is the aim - I will take it :)

hujsh
16-12-2022, 10:21 AM
It feels pretty forthright and shows a fair bit about what Bevo thinks about things (seems to consider Jones and Gardiner our two main key defenders, also has no idea who will step up on the wing, is preparing for Bruce to play either position). Also his views on why players have left are interesting

bornadog
16-12-2022, 10:25 AM
It feels pretty forthright and shows a fair bit about what Bevo thinks about things (seems to consider Jones and Gardiner our two main key defenders, also has no idea who will step up on the wing, is preparing for Bruce to play either position). Also his views on why players have left are interesting

We all assumed that Dunkley wanted to be King and earn the money that Bont Treloar are getting. Everything else Dunkley has said is just an excuse. Shame about Lewis Young, but can't blame him wanting more opportunity.

Also said Darcy will end up either Fwd/Ruck or Ruck/Fwd.

MrMahatma
16-12-2022, 10:52 AM
I wish he asked about processing the 21GF. Apart from that I really enjoyed that. Bevo seemed pretty honest throughout. Even the comment about Stringer.

Classic question about the Tom Morris tape! Ha!

hujsh
16-12-2022, 11:11 AM
We all assumed that Dunkley wanted to be King and earn the money that Bont Treloar are getting. Everything else Dunkley has said is just an excuse. Shame about Lewis Young, but can't blame him wanting more opportunity.

Also said Darcy will end up either Fwd/Ruck or Ruck/Fwd.

Oh yeah that was also interesting to see.

mjp
16-12-2022, 11:33 AM
I wish Bevo did more of this stuff.

bornadog
16-12-2022, 11:43 AM

Sounded like he wants to be more private, but that is not possible in the AFL

Sedat
16-12-2022, 12:13 PM
I liked his pointed reference at Caro without mentioning her by name. She is one of the biggest pieces of shit in footy journalism and a massive coward who always hides behind gender all the while slinging mud at everyone in the industry. As an example of her pure poison, look no further than what she did to Seb Ross and Tim Membrey and their partners during the lockdown. It was as low and disgusting as it gets, yet predictably she played the victim in the aftermath.

I hope Bevo never gives one second of airtime any of her media employers - there's plenty of other media outlets to ensure our profile is strong enough.

azabob
16-12-2022, 12:57 PM
I liked his pointed reference at Caro without mentioning her by name. She is one of the biggest pieces of shit in footy journalism and a massive coward who always hides behind gender all the while slinging mud at everyone in the industry. As an example of her pure poison, look no further than what she did to Seb Ross and Tim Membrey and their partners during the lockdown. It was as low and disgusting as it gets, yet predictably she played the victim in the aftermath.

I hope Bevo never gives one second of airtime any of her media employers - there's plenty of other media outlets to ensure our profile is strong enough.

I am 99% certain Caro also went to Europe to help support her daughter through her pregnancy etc. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

azabob
16-12-2022, 12:58 PM

Oh, which bit was aimed at Caro? I thought it was aimed at Barret.

SonofScray
16-12-2022, 01:12 PM
There's some tone in there that says to me he's in a good space and ready to go. Can't say I've always felt that way about Bevo.

mjp
16-12-2022, 01:29 PM
I liked his pointed reference at Caro without mentioning her by name.

No doubt there are issues there between Bevo and Caro.

Caro was swinging her sword at him early last year because of his mo saying she couldn't take him seriously...wasn't she the same person who was (justifiably) mortified when Sam Newman made her personal appearance into a running joke on the bad old days of the 'Footy Show'??? Same. THING.

She's there to commentate on his coaching, not the length or otherwise of his 'stache...that's literally none of her concern or business.

Sedat
16-12-2022, 01:46 PM
Maybe he is referencing Barrett since their infamous run-in 7 years ago, but Caro has consistently been an outspoken critic of his for many years and on many occasions - to me it felt like she was the specific target of his reference, because Barrett has praised Bevo and the club quite often since their run-in. In any event, she is the ring-leader of the cabal of clickbait scribes (such as Barrett and Cornes) who frame the narrative to suit the agenda without much thought for factual evidence or ramifications of their weasel words on others.

Sedat
16-12-2022, 01:49 PM
I am 99% certain Caro also went to Europe to help support her daughter through her pregnancy etc. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Equal parts hypocrisy and cowardice. She is quite a reprehensible and vitriolic person.

SquirrelGrip
16-12-2022, 01:50 PM

And here's me thinking it was aimed at Kane Cornes!

Bulldog4life
16-12-2022, 02:25 PM

He is right up there with the worst SG.

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 02:36 PM

I thought it was Morris!

aker39
16-12-2022, 02:55 PM
The reference to the one person, was in response to Robbo's question about Bevo having too much control at the club.

That is definitely aimed at Caro.

PS - I thought Robbo actually asked some good questions

hujsh
16-12-2022, 03:08 PM
The reference to the one person, was in response to Robbo's question about Bevo having too much control at the club.

Good to see you back

bornadog
16-12-2022, 03:27 PM

Good to see you back

Yeah about time

MrMahatma
16-12-2022, 03:33 PM

His interview on the website is good also. https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1259100/luke-beveridge-discusses-extension?videoId=1259100&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1671155872001

GVGjr
16-12-2022, 03:44 PM

Welcome back Aker39.

Axe Man
16-12-2022, 05:49 PM
Dogs need to ‘suck it up’ after losing Good Friday game: Beveridge (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dogs-need-to-suck-it-up-after-losing-good-friday-game-beveridge-20221216-p5c6zb.html?fbclid=IwAR2FRhvfLGyYkiOVtxJEnQIU1MiMELj4ixX5XIY u-AZnVR5i5m2uDDGgfq0)

Freshly re-signed Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says his side must play an “appealing” brand of football to avoid losing primetime fixtures such as Good Friday in the future.

North Melbourne will continue to host the Good Friday game, but the AFL replaced the Bulldogs with big-drawing Carlton for the 2023 clash after a modest 32,162 people turned up to this year’s match.

It is the second time in five years the league stripped the marquee timeslot from them, with Beveridge pointing to the reality of the respective fan bases: the Blues boasted 88,776 members in 2022 compared to the Dogs’ 50,941.

“The Good Friday game was a good opportunity for a great cause to be involved in but, look, what can you do? The AFL made a decision, and you just move on. It’s unfortunate,” Beveridge said.

“But our ambition is to play a brand of footy that is appealing, that wins games of footy, that’s attractive to our supporters first and foremost – and then the broadcast and the AFL as a peak body that wants to make money.

“I think the decision to do it was probably broadly made around the dollar, so we’ve got to understand that and work out that if Carlton are going to get another 5000 or 10,000 through the gate, we’ve just got to suck that up.

“As we move into the future, (we need to) continue to have that appeal, so we’re the club that gets an extra 5000 or 10,000 to the game.”

The Bulldogs conceded a 22-point second-half lead to bow out of the first week of finals to Fremantle in September, a year after comprehensively losing a grand final to Melbourne that they led by 19 points in the third quarter.

They added Liam Jones and Rory Lobb in the off-season, while losing club champion Josh Dunkley to Brisbane, and are ready to ascend the ladder again.

“Year-on-year, we just aim to be the best team,” Beveridge said. “So that’s our objective – to push the boundaries and challenge the Geelongs, Brisbanes and Melbournes, and every other team that comes our way, and create a mystique around how well we can play.

“I’ve never shied away from that. If we’re not the best team; I always walk away disappointed. I think the players do because they really get caught up in it and believe it.

“Whether we can or not remains to be seen, but that’s where we want to go. If you don’t start with that belief; you’re going to get nowhere.”

Beveridge has inked a two-year extension that ties him to the kennel until the end of 2025, after which he will have coached the Bulldogs for 11 years. He already led the club to its second premiership in 2016 and has coached the most wins (104), finals appearances (12) and finals wins (seven), and has 43 games to go to pass Ted Whitten’s record in charge.

Beveridge insists he never considered leaving for a rival, including St Kilda, where he finished his 118-match playing career and where his father John is a recruiting legend.

“There was a time, probably before I signed my last contract, where the club was in a position to make a decision on whether to re-appoint me and keep going,” he said.

“That was about five years ago, where there were some possibilities, but ultimately, I’ve always wanted to stay here as long as I can and push the boundaries on what we can achieve and see it through.

“A lot has changed since I started, so you feel like you’ve really got your hands in the clay. I don’t want to walk away before I’ve totally expended what I can. I feel like I’m just getting started.”

The Dogs are suddenly stacked with key-position talent after once being bereft of those types.

Usual forward Josh Bruce started his backline experiment in match simulation at Skinner Reserve on Friday, spending time on Aaron Naughton and Lobb, with Jones and Alex Keath filling the other key defensive posts.

How that situation shakes out remains to be seen, given fellow talls Ryan Gardner (wrist), Tim O’Brien (calf) and Sam Darcy (knee infection) did not take part.

Others on limited duties included Adam Treloar (ankle), as well as Cody Weightman and Lachie McNeil, who are being managed, while Rhylee West (knee) was absent but is expected to ramp up his activity post-Christmas.

Delisted ex-AFL pair Tyler Brown and Caleb Poulter played in the Bulldogs’ match simulation and are set to play for Footscray in the VFL next season.

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 05:51 PM
Because that's what Norf do right?

Bruce kicked 10 goals ffs!

bornadog
16-12-2022, 06:02 PM
Because that's what Norf do right?

Bruce kicked 10 goals ffs!

If Good Friday is up for grabs, then all marque games should be

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 06:09 PM
If Good Friday is up for grabs, then all marque games should be

Melbourne kept Queens Birthday for years when they were putrid.
Something smells that we were kicked out. Not really sure what the heck Bevo is talking about.
#growbackthemo

bornadog
16-12-2022, 06:16 PM
Melbourne kept Queens Birthday for years when they were putrid.
Something smells that we were kicked out. Not really sure what the heck Bevo is talking about.
#growbackthemo

It is North Melbourne whinging about the crowd attendance. They should look at themselves and not blame other teams.

mjp
16-12-2022, 06:44 PM
I'll say it again - Good Friday vs North is a crap fixture...we're well rid of it.

GVGjr
16-12-2022, 06:47 PM
I hope we all understand how far off Sam Darcy is at the moment. Luke is pretty clear that next season is still very much a development one for him.

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 07:02 PM
I'll say it again - Good Friday vs North is a crap fixture...we're well rid of it.

The club is very keen to be a part of it. I'm not sure why you think this MJP?
From a promotional point of view I think it's a great game to be a part of. Especially considering how revered the Good Friday Appeal is here.

hujsh
16-12-2022, 07:20 PM
From a promotional point of view I think it's a great game to be a part of. Especially considering how revered the Good Friday Appeal is here.

Among who though? I never watched it. Even in the olden days before mobile telephones and Tic Taks. Is it going to get more attention and bring young fans to the club an grow the membership base? Or will people be on holiday and not notice it until they come back Monday and see the Hawks and Cats are on TV?

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 07:31 PM
Among who though? I never watched it. Even in the olden days before mobile telephones and Tic Taks. Is it going to get more attention and bring young fans to the club an grow the membership base? Or will people be on holiday and not notice it until they come back Monday and see the Hawks and Cats are on TV?

I don't get this view hujsh.

If we are saying no footy in Good Friday yep propably agree, however most footy heads I know watch the game religiously.
Some still refer to the Stringer bunny ears.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jake-stringer-reveals-beautiful-reason-behind-bunny-ears-goal-celebration/news-story/f08518df8795e380ea14f4fa4644d757
This is bad how?

hujsh
16-12-2022, 07:52 PM
I don't get this view hujsh.

If we are saying no footy in Good Friday yep propably agree, however most footy heads I know watch the game religiously.
Some still refer to the Stringer bunny ears.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jake-stringer-reveals-beautiful-reason-behind-bunny-ears-goal-celebration/news-story/f08518df8795e380ea14f4fa4644d757
This is bad how?

1. How many of those footy heads are changing their team to the Dogs?

2. I have completely forgotten the bunny ear thing.

It's 'fine' to play Good Friday but I'm asking if it would help us grow the brand/supporter base. Ultimately a 'blockbuster' between us and North is Whocaresville and we need something against one of the bigger clubs (BOY A ROUND 1 GAME AGAINST COLLINGWOOD SURE WOULD BE A GRAND IDEA)

GVGjr
16-12-2022, 07:54 PM

For whatever reason a North vs Bulldogs game wasn't drawing enough supporters and viewers on Good Friday for the AFL who are very focused on game attendances and TV viewers. It's how they measure their performance.
My guess is neither club really had a plan on how to increase the gate so the logical and heartless decision was to add Carlton at our expense who a lot of supporters will be keen to see early in the season.

I don't agree with the decision but it was hardly a blockbuster game for us.

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 07:58 PM
For whatever reason a North vs Bulldogs game wasn't drawing enough supporters and viewers on Good Friday for the AFL who are very focused on game attendances and TV viewers. It's how they measure their performance.
My guess is neither club really had a plan on how to increase the gate so the logical and heartless decision was to add Carlton at our expense who a lot of supporters will be keen to see early in the season.

I don't agree with the decision but it was hardly a blockbuster game for us.

None of this makes any sense to me or clearly the club who want to be involved.
So Carlton are just there because... Why?

I think there's a bit of an echo chamber in here that's a tad short sighted to the clear fact its a stand alone game the club wants to be a part of.

Personally Dogs v Dons a western suburbs Derby makes absolute sense to me.

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 07:59 PM
1. How many of those footy heads are changing their team to the Dogs?

2. I have completely forgotten the bunny ear thing.

It's 'fine' to play Good Friday but I'm asking if it would help us grow the brand/supporter base. Ultimately a 'blockbuster' between us and North is Whocaresville and we need something against one of the bigger clubs (BOY A ROUND 1 GAME AGAINST COLLINGWOOD SURE WOULD BE A GRAND IDEA)

I think it does help. We need somehting.

GVGjr
16-12-2022, 08:00 PM
None of this makes any sense to me or clearly the club who want to be involved.
So Carlton are just there because... Why?

I think there's a bit of an echo chamber in here that's a tad short sighted to the clear fact its a stand alone game the club wants to be a part of.

Personally Dogs v Dons a western suburbs Derby makes absolute sense to me.

We have to moan to the AFL about losing the game because we will get something back if we do it right but did the club really go out of it's way to advertise it and get our supporters excited to attend?

Now an Essendon vs Bulldogs game could be something the AFL gets behind.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-12-2022, 08:04 PM
At this point we need to convince the AFL of our own blockbuster.

But for what occasion? It's pretty saturated.

And against who?

Clearly we need to pick someone like Carlton, Essendon, or possibly Geelong. We tried R1 v Collingwood and then it just... Faded?

hujsh
16-12-2022, 08:05 PM
I think it does help. We need somehting.

We do, I'm not sure the North game is it though. North also clearly don't want us to have any part in it which probably doesn't help

hujsh
16-12-2022, 08:06 PM
At this point we need to convince the AFL of our own blockbuster.

But for what occasion? It's pretty saturated.

And against who?

Clearly we need to pick someone like Carlton, Essendon, or possibly Geelong. We tried R1 v Collingwood and then it just... Faded?

Melbourne got what they want instead.

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 08:26 PM
Anzac day probably wasn't a popular choice for a game early doors?
You have to build it up. Why north gets this leg up us beyond me.

GVGjr
16-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Anzac day probably wasn't a popular choice for a game early doors?
You have to build it up. Why north gets this leg up us beyond me.

They bitched and moaned that they were owed something due to them being the pioneers of Friday night football but it has to work now or they will be shunted out of it.
We will get something back if moan and groan loud enough.

hujsh
16-12-2022, 08:46 PM
They bitched and moaned that they were owed something due to them being the pioneers of Friday night football but it has to work now or they will be shunted out of it.
We will get something back if moan and groan loud enough.

I'm all for moaning and groaning

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 08:52 PM
I'm all for moaning and groaning

Me too. It's called advocating.

mjp
16-12-2022, 09:24 PM

Because it’s a game vs North @ Marvel.

You care and I care but overall no one cares...vs Essendon at the MCG? Well, you might just be onto something.

There are 3x opportunities here:
-Alternating fixtures with west coast, Sydney or Adelaide. Pick one.
- Give it a name and concept. It won’t be hard.
- The prize here is tv...it doesn’t matter supporters can only attend every 2nd year.
- Those 3 clubs will guarantee an audience on tv AND a crowd...and the west coast and Adelaide supporters would love to have a trip to Melbourne every 2nd year.

Can we stop trying to follow the ANZAC Day model because we aren’t that club...

MrMahatma
16-12-2022, 09:36 PM
I actually don’t care. I love the club but it’s a crap fixture. I get why the bean counters want it but give me a Thurs/Fri/Sat night any day.

North are horrible to watch. I don’t mind distancing us from them. It doesn’t need to be the “poor team cup”. We need to keep the GWS hate up and build that. Upside there is big.

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 09:54 PM
It's not about North or Marvel.

It's about a fixture.

Good Friday is now a fixture.

Not sure why we aren't seeing that maybe I'm missing something but I think this is our fixture.

Grantysghost
16-12-2022, 10:04 PM
I actually don’t care. I love the club but it’s a crap fixture. I get why the bean counters want it but give me a Thurs/Fri/Sat night any day.

North are horrible to watch. I don’t mind distancing us from them. It doesn’t need to be the “poor team cup”. We need to keep the GWS hate up and build that. Upside there is big.

So going back to pre Anzac day I reckon most people would've said the same.
Sacred day. Crap fixture.

jeemak
16-12-2022, 11:48 PM
So going back to pre Anzac day I reckon most people would've said the same.
Sacred day. Crap fixture.

There's a massive difference between ANZAC Day and Good Friday, in terms of who is going to be around and ready to go to a game of football.

With ANZAC Day you have an entire major event scheduled immediately preceding the game in the parade, which also happens to be in close proximity to the MCG. On Good Friday everything is shut and people are out of town for an extended long weekend.

I'm happy enough to get as much Friday night exposure as we possibly can, and not worry about Good Friday. If we win and play good/ exciting footy then that's our best chance of getting the main prime time slot and our path to the highest exposure consistently.

bornadog
17-12-2022, 12:06 AM
According to this website http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=136820 The most watched AFL team in 2022 appears to have been Melbourne, followed by Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs.

We are very watchable and already have a huge TV audience. Hopefully we will build on this and kids watching may want to be future members. The one thing I hate about the Good Friday fixture is the AFL just kicking us off and not settling two teams to create something bigger like other marque games.

bornadog
17-12-2022, 12:07 AM
There's a massive difference between ANZAC Day and Good Friday, in terms of who is going to be around and ready to go to a game of football.

True, many people go away for Easter, whereas ANZAC day is a one off holiday and people are around.

jazzadogs
17-12-2022, 12:10 AM
I have not attended or watched live a Good Friday game because I've been away camping every time. I'm sure I'm not alone.

hujsh
17-12-2022, 12:26 AM

With ANZAC Day you have an entire major event scheduled immediately preceding the game in the parade, which also happens to be in close proximity to the MCG. On Good Friday everything is shut and people are out of town for an extended long weekend.

I'm happy enough to get as much Friday night exposure as we possibly can, and not worry about Good Friday. If we win and play good/ exciting footy then that's our best chance of getting the main prime time slot and our path to the highest exposure consistently.

It's also lost a lot of the appeal now that they have a Friday night game after the GF game. The selling point was you should let this one game be played on GF and tie it into the GF appeal and there'd be nothing else good to watch. If there's a Friday night game after it's just another Friday game but at a weird time.

Grantysghost
17-12-2022, 08:52 AM
I have not attended or watched live a Good Friday game because I've been away camping every time. I'm sure I'm not alone.

That is interesting JD, to me the club is keen as are other clubs so that's all I need.
It can be built into something special, it's been forgotten mainly due to North being a basket case.

Grantysghost
17-12-2022, 08:55 AM

That's all true agree, I guess I was comparing sacred days there.
The Hawks v Cats Easter game generally does well.

The issue is it needs time, and consistency. North have been the basket case and somehow keep it.

Dogs v Dons every year, build it up and in ten or so you'll have a normalised blockbuster.

Good discussion thanks woof!

ReLoad
17-12-2022, 09:26 AM
Happy that the distraction has ended before it started.

If he’s switched on and fully mentally invested then awesome. If he’s worried about what the media think about him, then we’re in the wrong place.

He’s a flawed genius, no doubt, but he’s our greatest ever. One more flag please Bevo, this list is too good not to.

GVGjr
17-12-2022, 09:40 AM
Happy that the distraction has ended before it started.

If he’s switched on and fully mentally invested then awesome. If he’s worried about what the media think about him, then we’re in the wrong place.

He’s a flawed genius, no doubt, but he’s our greatest ever. One more flag please Bevo, this list is too good not to.

I think Bevo is a man on a mission. He got a few things wrong last season but with some extra support and a show of faith I'm confident he sees a lot of potential in our group

jazzadogs
17-12-2022, 09:50 AM
That Bevo interview was fantastic in my view. He addressed a lot of questions that people on this forum have raised over the past few years - he's never going to give much away about gameplans, but the rest was really well done. I think these types of interviews are when Robinson does his best work as well - when he has to provide the content it gets a bit cloudy.

Grantysghost
17-12-2022, 09:52 AM
He was really intense at training when the match sim was on. Running around the outside of the match almost like he was playing at times. Came over near me and was talking to Grace (the vfl coach) and was really quite an intense interesting conversation about the VFL players time on ground, how they were going etc.

He looks rejuvenated. Can see why the list is looking pretty amazing.

GVGjr
17-12-2022, 10:24 AM
He was really intense at training when the match sim was on. Running around the outside of the match almost like he was playing at times. Came over near me and was talking to Grace (the vfl coach) and was really quite an intense interesting conversation about the VFL players time on ground, how they were going etc.

He looks rejuvenated. Can see why the list is looking pretty amazing.

I concur with this, he actually arrived a bit late (I assume he as doing some interviews) and was briskly making his way onto the ground acknowledging some well wishers. Once he got onto the ground he started talking to a few of the players.
It was a real roll the sleeves up and get stuck in session for Bevo and his coaching colleagues. We even had one from the development team umpiring the match simulation.

Mofra
17-12-2022, 12:20 PM
Ditto - we should aim for a big TV-audience round every year.
We should get creative and pitch a 'new' game to the AFL rather then go cap in hand to another club and ask if we can play

bornadog
17-12-2022, 12:31 PM
Ditto - we should aim for a big TV-audience round every year.
We should get creative and pitch a 'new' game to the AFL rather then go cap in hand to another club and ask if we can play

What are some ideas?

Grantysghost
17-12-2022, 12:44 PM
What are some ideas?

Something multi cultural and a nod to our working class roots.
Get the unions involved! Cfmeu cup v the pies.

hujsh
17-12-2022, 02:19 PM
Something multi cultural and a nod to our working class roots.
Get the unions involved! Cfmeu cup v the pies.

Maybe the nurses instead. Incorporate a red cross symbol on the jumpers.

Or do something domestic violence related. If there's a group of people that could do with growing up aware of that particular issue it's young men. Could do it around or on the Domestic Violence remembrance day (1st Wed of May)

Grantysghost
17-12-2022, 03:12 PM
Maybe the nurses instead. Incorporate a red cross symbol on the jumpers.

Or do something domestic violence related. If there's a group of people that could do with growing up aware of that particular issue it's young men. Could do it around or on the Domestic Violence remembrance day (1st Wed of May)

Like it.

jeemak
18-12-2022, 12:13 AM
A volunteer/ community/ front line services themed round would be good, but I wonder how you get the corporates around it?

Or generate enough interest in a blockbuster stacked calendar where the non-VIC teams play each other twice a year and the Melbourne based blockbuster games are in addition to games between those rivals mostly under normal fixturing conditions.

It's kind of why with Good Friday hit and miss we just try and get as many standalone Thursday and Friday night games as possible. The calendar is almost saturated.

hujsh
18-12-2022, 12:25 AM
A volunteer/ community/ front line services themed round would be good, but I wonder how you get the corporates around it?

Or generate enough interest in a blockbuster stacked calendar where the non-VIC teams play each other twice a year and the Melbourne based blockbuster games are in addition to games between those rivals mostly under normal fixturing conditions.

It's kind of why with Good Friday hit and miss we just try and get as many standalone Thursday and Friday night games as possible. The calendar is almost saturated.

What better image rehab if you're a booze or gambling company than being associated with fighting domestic violence (hypocrisy aside)

jeemak
18-12-2022, 12:34 AM
What better image rehab if you're a booze or gambling company than being associated with fighting domestic violence (hypocrisy aside)

It'd be worse than the sport washing/ association they already have and I think the public is waking up to it.

Respect round sponsored by Bundaberg Rum!

jeemak
18-12-2022, 01:02 AM
Back to the signing and Q&A with Bevo.......

I think he is an amazing coach, but like a lot of others can see his flaws and really hope he can make a few tweaks to his attitude in how he is publicly and move on from the siege mentality he builds about himself or at least seems to.

What I will say though, is he actually does answer media question and instead of pretending things are more complicated or mystical than they are mostly answers them clearly. While Sheedy, the great media performer actually never said anything of value about the game in front of him and tried to make it more cryptic and magical than it really was and was lauded for his media performances Luke won't because doesn't do that. He's dry but to the point and only gives up a good headline if his dry and to the point comments are able to be construed in a negative way. Any time he tries to deviate away from that he seems like a bit of a dork.

He can turn his media profile around easily enough though, and that's just by ignoring the ignorance and not being a smartarse. Nobody likes a smartarse, and if he wants to be as private as he can be then explaining things he's already explained over and again is a great way to avoid going any deeper.

Interesting that he took responsibility for what would have been a club wide and player wide decision about Stringer. Interesting he didn't mention Talia as being in the same boat.

Go_Dogs
19-12-2022, 07:30 AM
I’m very glad this is done ands won’t be a distraction into 2023.

Bevo is still the best man to coach us, and with more support, it bodes well for an improved performance. The Q&A article was great to read too, and like others, it would be good if Bevo could show some development in this area.

SquirrelGrip
19-12-2022, 02:19 PM
What are some ideas?

Good Friday has potential still if we celebrate our Protestant roots against a club with Catholic roots - such as North or Richmond - a great religious rivalry!

WBFC4FFC
19-12-2022, 07:40 PM
Good Friday has potential still if we celebrate our Protestant roots against a club with Catholic roots - such as North or Richmond - a great religious rivalry!

Might as well get Celtic v. Rangers out here too as the warm-up, if we are going to play the sectarian card!

Better yet, double-down with a bit of a Crusade!!!!

Grantysghost
19-12-2022, 07:51 PM
Might as well get Celtic v. Rangers out here too as the warm-up, if we are going to play the sectarian card!

That's v Qatar.

SquirrelGrip
20-12-2022, 10:17 AM

Love it!