PDA

View Full Version : AFL reaches in-principle agreement with Tasmania for 19th team

hujsh
18-11-2022, 04:01 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/866720/afl-reaches-in-principle-agreement-with-tasmania-for-19th-team

TASMANIA'S government and the AFL have reached an in-principle agreement on commercial terms of the state's bid for a 19th licence, but the timeline around a final decision remains unclear.
AFL boss Gillon McLachlan and Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockliff announced the agreement on Friday in Hobart, describing it as a "great step forward".

The Tasmanian government's funding commitment includes $12 million per year over 12 years, plus $60 million towards a high-performance and administration complex.
McLachlan indicated an announcement on Tasmania's bid was "close" but wouldn't specify a timeframe or commit to sealing the deal before his tenure as chief executive finishes at the end of the year.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2021/08/12/70b2afbd-953e-4d32-aec1-f05903c5c2ef/A-general-view-of-Blundstone-Arena-in-Hobart.jpg?width=1064&height=600

"The decision requires the support of our AFL clubs and we are having productive discussions there," he said.
"In recent days we've come a long way with our clubs.
"They've had detailed information around every aspect of the bid. We've got generally very positive feedback."
It appears the final piece of the puzzle is locking in funding for the construction of a new stadium on Hobart's waterfront, which could carry a price tag of $750 million.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2022/07/31/66d6e92a-89ea-48ac-ac36-5c50f7b535ff/UC703Fhp.jpg?width=1064&height=600

The state Liberal government has promised to fund half of the stadium, with the remainder of the cash to be sought from the federal government, private sector involvement and equity raising.
Rockliff said the state government had finalised a stadium business case and would soon take it to the federal government.

The stadium proposal does not have universal backing in Tasmania, with the state Labor opposition and the Greens among those opposed.
"Every change that we make in the AFL has people who have different views and I would ask them to look at the bigger picture. It's our obligation to lead," McLachlan said.
Meanwhile, Hawthorn has inked a new one-year deal to play home games in Tasmania.
The Hawks will host four matches in Launceston next season, having first played games in the Apple Isle in 2001.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2022/08/10/9f3cce56-bd6c-4527-860c-e5f9e2b9f4ce/10HaBr22SB5417326.JPG?width=1064&height=600

"We are delighted to be extending our time in Tasmania, while at the same time also continuing our support for their pursuit of their own AFL team," Hawthorn CEO Justin Reeves said.
"Having first played in Tasmania in 2001, this is a tremendous outcome for our passionate Tasmanian members.
"The relationship Hawthorn has with the Tasmanian Government is incredibly strong, and to extend our partnership for another season is a testament to those ties."

hujsh
18-11-2022, 04:02 PM
Big question if this goes ahead. Do we have weekly byes? Do we introduce a 20th team? Do we eliminate an existing team?

Happy for Tasmanians to get their own team and hopefully it props up the development of local footy and bring talent back into the pathways and the league itself

Rocco Jones
18-11-2022, 04:07 PM
Big question if this goes ahead. Do we have weekly byes? Do we introduce a 20th team? Do we eliminate an existing team?

Happy for Tasmanians to get their own team and hopefully it props up the development of local footy and bring talent back into the pathways and the league itself

My guess is we have byes at least for a bit, like with Suns/GWS. Surely a 20th team comes in sometime. Just might take a while. Think it's too late in the piece to relocate an existing club to Tassie.

Grantysghost
18-11-2022, 04:28 PM
My guess is we have byes at least for a bit, like with Suns/GWS. Surely a 20th team comes in sometime. Just might take a while. Think it's too late in the piece to relocate an existing club to Tassie.

Then we can have a completely unbiased draw with 20 rounds right !? Everyone plays each other once, alternate home games every 2 years.

Sedat
18-11-2022, 04:41 PM
Then we can have a completely unbiased draw with 20 rounds right !? Everyone plays each other once, alternate home games every 2 years.
19 game season has a lot of merit. Have a top 6 with a week off before finals, and 7-10 playing off in a wildcard finals round.

Who gets the 20th license?

Grantysghost
18-11-2022, 05:08 PM
19 game season has a lot of merit. Have a top 6 with a week off before finals, and 7-10 playing off in a wildcard finals round.

Who gets the 20th license?

Good question. Could WA/SA sustain a third side?

WBFC4FFC
18-11-2022, 05:37 PM
Rumour for a number of years has been for a third side in Perth, which makes total sense.

jazzadogs
18-11-2022, 05:51 PM
Is there anywhere to access a complete list of current AFL players from Tasmania? I certainly wouldn't be drafting one this year.

GVGjr
18-11-2022, 05:59 PM
Is there anywhere to access a complete list of current AFL players from Tasmania? I certainly wouldn't be drafting one this year.

I'm not sure where but I think there must be something around.

Grantysghost
18-11-2022, 06:23 PM

Here are the current AFL-listed Tasmanian players...

Adelaide
Chayce Jones

Brisbane
None.

Carlton
None.

Collingwood
Jeremy Howe
Brody Mihocek
Isaac Chugg

Essendon
Jye Menzie
Andrew Phillips

Fremantle
Alex Pearce

Geelong
Jake Kolodjashnij

Gold Coast
Lachie Weller

GWS
None.

Hawthorn
None.

Melbourne
Ben Brown

North Melbourne
Aaron Hall
Tarryn Thomas
Hugh Greenwood

Port Adelaide
None.

Richmond
Sam Banks
Toby Nankervis
Jack Riewoldt
Rhyan Mansell

St Kilda
Jimmy Webster

Sydney
Robbie Fox

West Coast
None.

Western Bulldogs
Ryan Gardner
Liam Jones

https://www.zerohanger.com/which-afl-players-are-from-tasmania-130042/

GVGjr
18-11-2022, 06:34 PM
Thanks GG, I don't think clubs will be overly concerned about the go home factor on this list.
Will it force a reconsider on Tassie players this year? I hope not.

Hotdog60
18-11-2022, 07:11 PM
I wonder if the NT would be the 20th team. The AFL would have to prop it up for quite a while one would think.

jazzadogs
18-11-2022, 08:46 PM
Thanks GG, I don't think clubs will be overly concerned about the go home factor on this list.
Will it force a reconsider on Tassie players this year? I hope not.

Agree there's not much to worry about although Richmond won't want to lose Nank. Shame for Riewoldt that he will likely miss out by a year or two, would have been an excellent inaugural captain for them.

I think clubs would have absolutely been considering the impact of a Tasmanian team on drafting Tassie boys. Why would you draft a guy who you would anticipate is highly likely to leave in a couple of years?

GVGjr
18-11-2022, 08:50 PM
Agree there's not much to worry about although Richmond won't want to lose Nank. Shame for Riewoldt that he will likely miss out by a year or two, would have been an excellent inaugural captain for them.

I think clubs would have absolutely been considering the impact of a Tasmanian team on drafting Tassie boys. Why would you draft a guy who you would anticipate is highly likely to leave in a couple of years?

The deal still has to get done. For a young person moving to one of the bigger cities could be very tempting for them.
I get it's a consideration for clubs but they should back their culture to keep them.

mjp
18-11-2022, 10:23 PM
Good question. Could WA/SA sustain a third side?

WA couldn't.

Corporate support from one morally bankrupt mining company or another (Freo have Woodside, West Coast have Mineral Resources) will be there but there isn't the on-the-ground support for another team. Optus holds what? 65k? 70K?? The 3rd team would need to play 'somewhere else' 'cos crowds would be in the 10-15 range.

SA would probs be the reverse - able to generate crowds but battling for the $ from corporates...

bornadog
19-11-2022, 12:28 AM
I wonder if the NT would be the 20th team. The AFL would have to prop it up for quite a while one would think.

Could be called North Australia and take in NT and Northern Qld. Split home games between Cairns, Alice and Darwin

Stevo
19-11-2022, 12:31 AM
WA couldn't.

Corporate support from one morally bankrupt mining company or another (Freo have Woodside, West Coast have Mineral Resources) will be there but there isn't the on-the-ground support for another team. Optus holds what? 65k? 70K?? The 3rd team would need to play 'somewhere else' 'cos crowds would be in the 10-15 range.

SA would probs be the reverse - able to generate crowds but battling for the $ from corporates...

Do we need a 20th team? I read somewhere that scheduling is still OK with 19.

Bulldog Joe
19-11-2022, 10:08 AM
Do we need a 20th team? I read somewhere that scheduling is still OK with 19.

Gives the 9 games per week plus a bye across the season in an 18 game season.

Probably works very well with the chance for some creative finals to get the season to 26 weeks in total.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2022, 10:11 AM

NT Government is lobbying hard for a team and putting up a promise of big cash. If GCS aren’t relocated into a Northern Australia team, then this would be #20 in time.

chef
19-11-2022, 10:19 AM
Are we diluting the competition too much?

GVGjr
19-11-2022, 10:22 AM

It's a conundrum, Tassie deserve a team but the AFL preferred position of relocating North isn't going to be accepted.
We will be moving very quickly towards a 20th team assuming Tasmania eventuates and I don't think we've done enough to strengthen the competitions under the AFL to support it.

F'scary
19-11-2022, 10:33 AM
this move by the AFL has a wiff of the Liz Truss's about it. I can see a Melbourne Club relocating/merging/morphing in the economic fallout.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2022, 10:52 AM

Yep. Assuming the list start bigger like other expansion clubs, say 50 at least for two new clubs. That’s 100 players taken from say the existing lists. Assuming we lost 4-5 good to ok players, and replaced them with DFA’s and state league players, and having our picks pushed way out for many drafts as the new clubs front load picks, then our list for top and mid talent drops off, and the depth is maybe 15-20% in probably Footscray players on our AFEL list. Or holding onto experienced players unlike to play (Wallis, Schache etc).

Diluting the talent pool also makes for a lesser product overall too.

What might be different is if the Tassie fans sell out home games, something GCS & GWS have never done, then maybe top draft picks won’t constantly walk out getting dick of playing in front of 5,000 ‘fans’. This might slow the churn of top kids feeding into Victorian clubs usually Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn & Collingwood.

Then issues of how clubs who play home games make up the lost cash (will the AFEL simply give them cash to transition to a new income stream?), and then if there’s new ‘zoning’ rights to stimulate local players going into them. That would mean the NGA map would need to be completely re-done. If not abandoned.

The plan with GWS was to give them way too many concessions to get them a flag, which didn’t work. So would they give even more concessions to new club/s to establish them?

I like Tassie, and even the NT getting their own teams as a matter of principle. What happens after that is a really delicate thing. Sure the TV rights is worth more, and the clubs and players should do well financially. But the fine print and the broader consequences are what I’d really like to understand.

In short, yes.

hujsh
19-11-2022, 11:56 AM
Gives the 9 games per week plus a bye across the season in an 18 game season.

Probably works very well with the chance for some creative finals to get the season to 26 weeks in total.

Would you be happy with the Bulldogs getting a scheduled a bye round 1? Because someone will have to bite that bullet.

mjp
19-11-2022, 12:25 PM
This is great for Tassy and great for the long-term.

It's going to suck short term.

As for the bye's, I would be happy with having a bye in Round 1 if we could play Collingwood as a Bulldogs home game the Thursday or Friday night of Round 2. I would not be happy with a bye round 1 if we were scheduled to play the Giants or Suns AWAY on Sunday of Round 2. It's all swings and roundabouts right??

bornadog
19-11-2022, 01:00 PM
Since the last teams to come in to the AFL, Australia's population has grown by about 3 million. This means the pool must be getting bigger, so you would think the AFL should be able to attract more players. However, the conumdrum is whether Aussie rules is growing amongst male atheltes or are other sports attracting them, such as Soccer, Basketball.

AFL really needs to spend more on grass roots footy.

lemmon
19-11-2022, 01:18 PM
From the perspective of a new Tasmanian - I moved down here 12 months ago and live in a small rural community - I am incredibly excited about what this will do for the state.

There's a level of tribalism that I had no idea about before I moved down. If you're from Tassie, there are 'Tasmanians' and than there are 'Mainlanders' and they're very different things.

I think a lot of that comes from life being a bit more of a struggle for people that are born and bred Tasmanian. There's less work down here, education levels are some of the worst in the country, young people leave as soon as they can, health care is poor, there's not much public transport and locals have been largely priced out of the property market in the last 5 years...even the weather is harsher and wilder. It's a beautiful place and the people are warm and generous, but there's definitely a feeling that they've been given less and had to do more.

There's a huge desire for something that belongs to the state and a new club is absolutely the right way to go. The Jack Jumpers are massive down here and the NBL has nailed it by getting in first and giving the state a team that belongs to it. In saying that, this is a pure footy state in the same way that Victoria is, and this team will be successful and be something for people down here to rally around and be proud of. I think it'll unite the state in the same way the Cats unite Geelong.

I think one key thing will be making sure it's a team that belongs to Tassie and not to Hobart, and that means playing games in Launceston. There's a big north/south divide down here that exists because most of the state's wealth and facilities are Hobart-centric, so you do risk alienating the rest of the state if games are only played in Hobart.

Really excited about this, glad it's happening and I hope the Northern Territory are next. Footy is a game for the people and this is a terrific move towards recognising that.

jeemak
19-11-2022, 10:00 PM
I've said it previously about Tassie, there's something about the place that could trigger if they were just shown some respect and treated somewhere close to equally in Australia's sporting and social construct. An AFL team would help do this.

I'd happily make a five day trip out of it, head to the game on the weekend, off to Barnbougle/ Lost Farm for a few days with wineries along the way.

And a season with one forced bye and one for rest, alongside a single game against each opponent would be perfect for everyone. As for the talent pool, if there was a higher focus on drafting skill rather than athletics then the gap wouldn't look as bad.

Bulldog Joe
20-11-2022, 11:59 AM
From the perspective of a new Tasmanian - I moved down here 12 months ago and live in a small rural community - I am incredibly excited about what this will do for the state.

There's a level of tribalism that I had no idea about before I moved down. If you're from Tassie, there are 'Tasmanians' and than there are 'Mainlanders' and they're very different things.

I think a lot of that comes from life being a bit more of a struggle for people that are born and bred Tasmanian. There's less work down here, education levels are some of the worst in the country, young people leave as soon as they can, health care is poor, there's not much public transport and locals have been largely priced out of the property market in the last 5 years...even the weather is harsher and wilder. It's a beautiful place and the people are warm and generous, but there's definitely a feeling that they've been given less and had to do more.

There's a huge desire for something that belongs to the state and a new club is absolutely the right way to go. The Jack Jumpers are massive down here and the NBL has nailed it by getting in first and giving the state a team that belongs to it. In saying that, this is a pure footy state in the same way that Victoria is, and this team will be successful and be something for people down here to rally around and be proud of. I think it'll unite the state in the same way the Cats unite Geelong.

I think one key thing will be making sure it's a team that belongs to Tassie and not to Hobart, and that means playing games in Launceston. There's a big north/south divide down here that exists because most of the state's wealth and facilities are Hobart-centric, so you do risk alienating the rest of the state if games are only played in Hobart.

Really excited about this, glad it's happening and I hope the Northern Territory are next. Footy is a game for the people and this is a terrific move towards recognising that.

As a native Tasmanian I really have to disagree with this point.

While there is a Hobart centric bureaucracy that leads to a Hobart based facility mindset, the wealth of the state is much more decentralised.

Launceston and the North feel more connection financially to Melbourne than Hobart, while the Southern residents project an unalienable right for everything to be Hobart based.

Solving the tribal nature is difficult as it emanates from the first settlement at Port Dalrymple (North) in 1804 as Australia's 3rd European Settlement.

lemmon
20-11-2022, 12:41 PM
As a native Tasmanian I really have to disagree with this point.

While there is a Hobart centric bureaucracy that leads to a Hobart based facility mindset, the wealth of the state is much more decentralised.

Launceston and the North feel more connection financially to Melbourne than Hobart, while the Southern residents project an unalienable right for everything to be Hobart based.

Solving the tribal nature is difficult as it emanates from the first settlement at Port Dalrymple (North) in 1804 as Australia's 3rd European Settlement.

Thanks for your insight. It's really interesting to hear the historical context. I'll DM you to learn further, if you don't mind.

Bulldog Joe
20-11-2022, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your insight. It's really interesting to hear the historical context. I'll DM you to learn further, if you don't mind.

I seem to be having trouble replying at the moment but will get back to you soon.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-11-2022, 10:22 PM

This is a very good summation of football in Tasmania with the risk of it being too Hobart centric at the peril of Tasmanian football. Hawthorn has been very successful in its promotion of AFL football in Launceston and to ignore both the North and the North West of Tassie, would be at the peril of an AFL Tasmanian team. The huge cost in building a new Stadium in Hobart, when current football Stadiums, could be upgraded at minimal cost would appear illogical, given Tasmania’s small population. The arrival of Hawthorn and North Melbourne has seen the Tasmanian Government spend millions of dollars in the sponsorship of both Clubs to the detriment of local Tassie football where the standard of local football has dropped off alarmingly. Tasmania being a wonderful feeder in the past of quality players such as Baldock Stewart Tassie Johnson, Royce Hart, Crosswell Davis, Matthew Richardson, Colin Robertson and Scratcher Neale to name a few is quite significant.
Being an Australian Rules State it deserved representation before Gold Coast Suns and GWS where the almighty National TV rights won precedence over Tasmania.
Justice has finally been achieved.

boydogs
22-11-2022, 12:50 AM
$750 million for a stadium is ridiculous. It just needs to be Ballarat level and there are already two of those here

GVGjr
22-11-2022, 08:48 AM
$750 million for a stadium is ridiculous. It just needs to be Ballarat level and there are already two of those here

The time it takes in Australia to complete building works is where and why the costs spiral.
The construction costs for Brentford FC in the premier league to build a new stadium was £71 million and it fits 17,500 fans and they funded it by buying and selling players. It's quite an impressive smaller stadium.

A Mars level stadium would not be good enough to set-up a new team in Hobart. It works for us because we only go there 2 weeks for season.
This needs to be a significant investment but I agree 750 million is way too much. A great multi purpose stadium should be able to be built for half of that.

bornadog
22-11-2022, 10:18 AM
The time it takes in Australia to complete building works is where and why the costs spiral.
The construction costs for Brentford FC in the premier league to build a new stadium was £71 million and it fits 17,500 fans and they funded it by buying and selling players. It's quite an impressive smaller stadium.

A Mars level stadium would not be good enough to set-up a new team in Hobart. It works for us because we only go there 2 weeks for season.
This needs to be a significant investment but I agree 750 million is way too much. A great multi purpose stadium should be able to be built for half of that.

The cost is high beacuse they want a roof over it due to weather.

GVGjr
22-02-2023, 08:24 PM
Gil is heading down to Tas tomorrow so we might find out if Tassie get the venue and the 19th side down there.

750M is way too much though and given how unproductive our projects are and the fact that typically large scale projects in Australia blow out by about 40% we need to budget for at least a Billion.

I wonder what could be done to get the costs down? This should be able to be built for 400M and no wonder it's not getting more of the Tassie public behind it.

Bulldog Joe
22-02-2023, 08:31 PM
Gil is heading down to Tas tomorrow so we might find out if Tassie get the venue and the 19th side down there.

750M is way too much though and given how unproductive our projects are and the fact that typically large scale projects in Australia blow out by about 40% we need to budget for at least a Billion.

I wonder what could be done to get the costs down? This should be able to be built for 400M and no wonder it's not getting more of the Tassie public behind it.

The requirement for a new stadium is beyond unreasonable.

There are 2 stadiums already that will accommodate the fans. At most an upgrade on one of those for way less money would suffice.

If a new stadium is required it is just the out for the AFL

GVGjr
22-02-2023, 08:56 PM
The requirement for a new stadium is beyond unreasonable.

There are 2 stadiums already that will accommodate the fans. At most an upgrade on one of those for way less money would suffice.

If a new stadium is required it is just the out for the AFL

Upgrades aren't sexy enough to attract substantial investment. We should have and could have renovated what we already had at the Whitten Oval to bring them up to speed but to be able to spruik big spends we had to go into a whole disruption of the club to get it done. Still for many people they'll be able to add the achievement of spending a substantial sum of tax payers money to their resume.

Bulldog Joe
22-02-2023, 11:06 PM
Upgrades aren't sexy enough to attract substantial investment. We should have and could have renovated what we already had at the Whitten Oval to bring them up to speed but to be able to spruik big spends we had to go into a whole disruption of the club to get it done. Still for many people they'll be able to add the achievement of spending a substantial sum of tax payers money to their resume.

That is a separate issue.

The money required for a new stadium in Tassie is unlikely to ever generate sufficiently as a commercial return.

soupman
23-02-2023, 11:33 PM
Imagine spending $750M on a stadium that's going to host maybe 8 AFL games a year and specifically not host other sports. God professional sports leagues are so entitled.

GVGjr
23-02-2023, 11:37 PM
Imagine spending $750M on a stadium that's going to host maybe 8 AFL games a year and specifically not host other sports. God professional sports leagues are so entitled.

It's a lot of money isn't it? You have to wonder where it all goes.

Axe Man
24-02-2023, 10:09 AM

Call the Qataris, they have some pretty good efficiencies around stadium construction. I believe slave labour and not being concerned with pesky safety standards are the keys. ;)

bornadog
24-02-2023, 10:31 AM
Call the Qataris, they have some pretty good efficiencies around stadium construction. I believe slave labour and not being concerned with pesky safety standards are the keys. ;)

That is what they do in Singapore as well.

I don't understand why Tassie's inclusion in the AFL is dependant on a swish stadium. Why can't the two current stadiums (Hobart/Launceston) be renovated. Wouldn't cost much.

Either the AFL want a 19th team or they don't.

Bulldog Joe
24-02-2023, 10:52 AM
That is what they do in Singapore as well.

I don't understand why Tassie's inclusion in the AFL is dependant on a swish stadium. Why can't the two current stadiums (Hobart/Launceston) be renovated. Wouldn't cost much.

Either the AFL want a 19th team or they don't.

The 2 current stadiums already host matches.
They are ready to play without renovation.

GVGjr
24-02-2023, 10:57 AM

The concern I keep hearing is that if they don't build a great facility then much like Gold Coast the player retention will be a challenge.

bornadog
24-02-2023, 10:59 AM

The concern I keep hearing is that if they don't build a great facility then much like Gold Coast the player retention will be a challenge.

The renovation can include state of the art training facilities, most likely in Hobart.

GVGjr
24-02-2023, 11:14 AM

And remember both grounds host games not host a team full time. They're going to need something more.

hujsh
24-02-2023, 11:46 AM

I mean... it's a challenge for Adelaide too but they get to be in the competition.

Bulldog Joe
24-02-2023, 11:58 AM

Player retention will be a challenge regardless..

The age group of AFL players consistently leave Tassie for more excitement and return later in life,

Bulldog Joe
24-02-2023, 12:38 PM
And remember both grounds host games not host a team full time. They're going to need something more.

Yes
They do need top class training facilities, but that hardly warrants the proposed expenditure for the stadium,

Bulldog Legend
24-02-2023, 04:15 PM

I doubt TAS would have the same go home factor, one of Tasmania’s issues has been retaining their young people

Bulldog Legend
24-02-2023, 04:22 PM
I've said it previously about Tassie, there's something about the place that could trigger if they were just shown some respect and treated somewhere close to equally in Australia's sporting and social construct. An AFL team would help do this.

I'd happily make a five day trip out of it, head to the game on the weekend, off to Barnbougle/ Lost Farm for a few days with wineries along the way.

And a season with one forced bye and one for rest, alongside a single game against each opponent would be perfect for everyone. As for the talent pool, if there was a higher focus on drafting skill rather than athletics then the gap wouldn't look as bad.
I hear what you are saying but bottom line is their population is around 550k compared to VIC 7 million. I am unsure that long term they can be financially viable and they certainly do not have the population to sustain an AFL list so a lot of their players will have to come from interstate and the will face the same go home issues as GC and GWS.
Happy for them to have a go but not sure it will be a success

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-03-2023, 11:36 PM
I hear what you are saying but bottom line is their population is around 550k compared to VIC 7 million. I am unsure that long term they can be financially viable and they certainly do not have the population to sustain an AFL list so a lot of their players will have to come from interstate and the will face the same go home issues as GC and GWS.

The arrival of North Melbourne and Hawthorn with Tasmanian State Government sponsorship of $20 million dollars has effectively killed off the quality and interest in its local 3 major competitions.
We shouldn’t forget Tassie’s amazing number of quality players that have gone on to play with other League Clubs.
These include Royce Hart, Peter Hudson, Daryl Baldock, Ian Stewart, Brent Crosswell, Steve and Rod McPherson,
Scratcher Neal, Colin Robertson, John Greening, John Bonney, Barry Lawrence and many others. It is going to take enormous dollars as the AFL hasl done with GCS and GWS to become competitive coupled with a huge input of good players from other League Clubs to make it competitive. It will be a monumental task. In fairness it should have happened years ago at the expense of Gold Coast Suns and GWS,
but thanks to the almighty dollars from National TV rights it required the AFL to have 2 Clubs in both Sydney and Queensland.

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2023, 11:51 PM
The arrival of North Melbourne and Hawthorn with Tasmanian State Government sponsorship of $20 million dollars has effectively killed off the quality and interest in its local 3 major competitions.
We shouldn’t forget Tassie’s amazing number of quality players that have gone on to play with other League Clubs.
These include Royce Hart, Peter Hudson, Daryl Baldock, Ian Stewart, Brent Crosswell, Steve and Rod McPherson,
Scratcher Neal, Colin Robertson, John Greening, John Bonney, Barry Lawrence and many others. It is going to take enormous dollars as the AFL hasl done with GCS and GWS to become competitive coupled with a huge input of good players from other League Clubs to make it competitive. It will be a monumental task. In fairness it should have happened years ago at the expense of Gold Coast Suns and GWS,
but thanks to the almighty dollars from National TV rights it required the AFL to have 2 Clubs in both Sydney and Queensland.

unfortunately the quality in/from Tasmania has declined significantly over the last 20 plus years.

While we can point to Baldock, Stewart, Hudson, Crosswell, Roach and even Rocket Eade through the 60s to 80s the nimbers of high class players has seriously.

We have the Riewoldt cousins (and Queensland even claim Nick) but I can't think of any others since we had Hawthorn as a regular team playing in Tas since the calendar ticked into the 2000s

jeemak
03-03-2023, 12:34 AM

I understand, though I'd counter it with the comment that Tassie is actually awesome and would be a bit like Geelong for players rather than the GC or Western Sydney, and it only 1.5 hours travel to Melbourne which isn't a huge impost.

Everyone talks about what Tassie can't do, and not what it potentially can do. The issues we see with Tassie's current football state are born out of neglect. Half the love attributed to Sydney, GWS or GCS and Brisbane will see the team thrive and new generations developed in a genuine football state as supporters of the local team rather than legacy teams from a state/ city that fills them with resentment.

The population argument interests me, it's as if the Victorian clubs think there's some version of support that assumes every person in the state follows a footy team. And it's bullshit. Sure, ask a Victorian who they support these days and they'll nominate a team, but dig a little deeper and you might find that less and less people actually follow the game closely and plenty of people nominate a team just because that's who their parents or grandparents followed. With that in mind, the division of clubs vs. Victorian population is only ~80K people more than population per club in Tassie, but it doesn't account for people moving from interstate in huge numbers to Melbourne or international migration. Both of which likely come with previous biases towards sporting codes and teams supported that will take generations to change, much like Tasmania's will.

If the AFL continues to ignore 550K people who have football in their culture/ heritage then it will be to their detriment, and a sign of gross negligence, hubris and arrogance combined. Ignoring captive markets and throwing shitloads of money into development markets that are culturally different and likely to always be is one of the dumbest things I can think the AFL could do. So I guess that's what they will do.

FrediKanoute
03-03-2023, 01:08 AM
Player retention will be a challenge regardless..

The age group of AFL players consistently leave Tassie for more excitement and return later in life,

COuld have a veterans team - the Tassie Hasbeens

bornadog
03-03-2023, 10:03 AM
unfortunately the quality in/from Tasmania has declined significantly over the last 20 plus years.

While we can point to Baldock, Stewart, Hudson, Crosswell, Roach and even Rocket Eade through the 60s to 80s the nimbers of high class players has seriously.

We have the Riewoldt cousins (and Queensland even claim Nick) but I can't think of any others since we had Hawthorn as a regular team playing in Tas since the calendar ticked into the 2000s

Ryan Gardner, Liam Jones, Ben Brown, Jeremy Howe, to name a few

DOG GOD
03-03-2023, 04:57 PM
Imo Gill has never wanted a Tassie team. His stake on having to have a brand new roofed stadium to get a team over the line is laughable when you have 1 ground in Launceston with one of the best surfaces in the AFL.

The whole thing is becoming a farce.

Why build a 28,000 seat stadium when you’re never going to get more than 15,000 there.

Last night, Collingwood who have a huge following in Tassie and hawthorn played at UTAS in Launceston. Tickets were FREE and there would’ve been no more than 4000 there. So who’s going to watch Tassie vs GC at the new stadium in Hobart ?

GVGjr
03-03-2023, 05:09 PM
Imo Gill has never wanted a Tassie team. His stake on having to have a brand new roofed stadium to get a team over the line is laughable when you have 1 ground in Launceston with one of the best surfaces in the AFL.

The whole thing is becoming a farce.

Why build a 28,000 seat stadium when you’re never going to get more than 15,000 there.

Last night, Collingwood who have a huge following in Tassie and hawthorn played at UTAS in Launceston. Tickets were FREE and there would’ve been no more than 4000 there. So who’s going to watch Tassie vs GC at the new stadium in Hobart ?

I'm not so sure he doesn't want a team down there and as far as the stadium is concerned, I do think it's preferential to have a stadium you can grow into not out of. The last thing you want to do in Australia is try and justify extending or renovating a stadium a few years later as it will cost a fortune. Perhaps they could get the stadium capacity down to something more like 22K.

bornadog
03-03-2023, 05:17 PM
I'm not so sure he doesn't want a team down there and as far as the stadium is concerned, I do think it's preferential to have a stadium you can grow into not out of. The last thing you want to do in Australia is try and justify extending or renovating a stadium a few years later as it will cost a fortune. Perhaps they could get the stadium capacity down to something more like 22K.

Gill wants a stadium with a roof on. Not worth spending money on a roofed stadium with a capacity of only 22k

I tend to agree with Dog God, the population is just not there in Tassie to warrant a team.

GVGjr
03-03-2023, 06:22 PM
Gill wants a stadium with a roof on. Not worth spending money on a roofed stadium with a capacity of only 22k

I tend to agree with Dog God, the population is just not there in Tassie to warrant a team.

Then why have they been going through this again and again for a few years now?
Dunedin in NZ has an multi purpose indoor stadium and a population of about 130K albeit the roof isn't retractable.
When it was originally built it had a capacity of 20K but they planned that it could be reconfigured to 30K which they currently can configure for concerts etc. This is what they could do in Hobart and configure it for 22K with and be able to reconfigure it later.
AFL is a vastly bigger playing surface but I think something similar could suffice.
I think the bigger challenge for TAS is the distance between Hobart and Launceston. If it was a comfortable 45 minute train ride or drive the combined population would be more than sufficient. The population is there but perhaps a question on if people want to go and watch games there.

Neglecting the AFL state competition has eroded peoples love of the AFL game but I do think it could be recaptured because the Jack Jumpers have done well.

Bulldog Legend
04-03-2023, 11:06 AM
That’s true but those players did not all play at the same time they simply do not have the population to sustain a AFL list on their own and will definitely need to draft Vics, SA, WA talent
Wheteher they deserve it is another question

mjp
04-03-2023, 03:39 PM
Neglecting the AFL state competition has eroded peoples love of the AFL game but I do think it could be recaptured because the Jack Jumpers have done well.

Let's see what happens if they sit near the bottom of the table for a few seasons...

bulldogtragic
25-04-2023, 09:20 PM
Leaks/rumours being reported that the Federal Budget may have very sizeable lump sum to help build the Tasmania stadium, and thus Tasmania getting their licence.

jazzadogs
25-04-2023, 11:07 PM
Gee we (Australian governments of all persuasions) love to throw money at non essential stadiums.

Jasper
25-04-2023, 11:20 PM
Leaks/rumours being reported that the Federal Budget may have very sizeable lump sum to help build the Tasmania stadium, and thus Tasmania getting their licence.

Makes a mockery of tightening the fiscal belt but hey it gives Gil his legacy that hes after.

The Underdog
26-04-2023, 02:20 PM
Gee we (Australian governments of all persuasions) love to throw money at non essential stadiums.

Maybe people can live in it during the week.

Hate it.

Sedat
26-04-2023, 03:13 PM
I hope you're not casting aspersions at "Regional Pissant Pork-Barrell Toy Ground with No Wings" Park. Stage 6 is coming along beautifully :rolleyes:

Tasmania at least is a full state, not some isolated regional marginal electorate, and being a brand new stadium it will at least provide an incremental asset to the entire community that didn't previously exist, and not be just some plaything for AFEL. But gee there are incredible amounts of tax-payer funds every year by all 'shades' of politics (they are all the same shade of turd IMO) thrown at organisations that are already filthy rich. Begs the question why we all bother paying tax when we don't get any say as to where our money is spent. Kerry Packer might have been a ruthless, greedy businessman but he was bang-on the money when he told Senate Estimates all those years ago that every Australian should tax-minimise as much as possible because the money is only wasted by those in charge.

hujsh
26-04-2023, 03:33 PM
I hope you're not casting aspersions at "Regional Pissant Pork-Barrell Toy Ground with No Wings" Park. Stage 6 is coming along beautifully :rolleyes:

Tasmania at least is a full state, not some isolated regional marginal electorate, and being a brand new stadium it will at least provide an incremental asset to the entire community that didn't previously exist, and not be just some plaything for AFEL. But gee there are incredible amounts of tax-payer funds every year by all 'shades' of politics (they are all the same shade of turd IMO) thrown at organisations that are already filthy rich. Begs the question why we all bother paying tax when we don't get any say as to where our money is spent. Kerry Packer might have been a ruthless, greedy businessman but he was bang-on the money when he told Senate Estimates all those years ago that every Australian should tax-minimise as much as possible because the money is only wasted by those in charge.

We should Steel ourselves for more fun times ahead

Grantysghost
26-04-2023, 03:38 PM

Sedat as a 25 year Federal Government employee...

How dare you ;)

I reckon I've got enough stories of wasted tax payer money to actually literally for surelynessley make your head implode.

bornadog
26-04-2023, 03:51 PM
Not sure how it will play out in Tassie because of the North/South situation. I just hope if all goes ahead and a new stadium and team come on board that all Tasmanians embrace it, otherwise it will fail.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-04-2023, 04:00 PM
An extra team is the last thing the comp needs.

They should move gold coast down there.

bornadog
26-04-2023, 04:08 PM
An extra team is the last thing the comp needs.

They should move gold coast down there.

or Hawthorn ;)

EasternWest
26-04-2023, 04:57 PM

Ha ha ha.

Sedat as a 25 year Federal Government employee...

How dare you ;)

I reckon I've got enough stories of wasted tax payer money to actually literally for surelynessley make your head implode.

How very dare he.

DOG GOD
26-04-2023, 05:36 PM
Not sure how it will play out in Tassie because of the North/South situation. I just hope if all goes ahead and a new stadium and team come on board that all Tasmanians embrace it, otherwise it will fail.

And this is the thing Bornadog. I live in Launceston and I could not be bothered driving 2.5 hours to Hobart to watch Tassie vs Freo with 12,000 others in a stadium that’s half full. I’ve spoken to friends about this and they all agree with me. It’s a complete waste of money, and the last thing the AFL needs is another team to thin the talent pool out even more, where very mediocre VFL/league players are going to be on AFL lists just to fill them. I’m expecting Tassie draft concessions to be that of GWS where they get 7 of the top 10 picks for their first 3 years or so.

Yes, people have got onboard the Jack jumpers and crowds have been good, but it’s a basketball court. A bit different to an AFL stadium.

bornadog
26-04-2023, 05:40 PM
And this is the thing Bornadog. I live in Launceston and I could not be bothered driving 2.5 hours to Hobart to watch Tassie vs Freo with 12,000 others in a stadium that?s half full. I?ve spoken to friends about this and they all agree with me. It?s a complete waste of money. And the last thing the AFL needs is another team to thin the talent pool out even more, where very mediocre VFL/league players are going to be on AFL lists just to fill them. I?m expecting Tassie draft concessions to be that of GWS where they get 7 of the top 10 picks for their first 3 years or so.

Yes, people have got onboard the Jack jumpers and crowds have been good, but it?s a basketball court?bit different to an AFL stadium.

The AFL are being pricks in insisting a new stadium be built before they would allow a Tassie team.

Why not upgrade Hobart and Launceston and play 5, 6 games in each. It would be cheaper, and satisfy the North/South divide.

DOG GOD
26-04-2023, 05:43 PM
The AFL are being pricks in insisting a new stadium be built before they would allow a Tassie team.

Why not upgrade Hobart and Launceston and play 5, 6 games in each. It would be cheaper, and satisfy the North/South divide.

Absolutely. The new Perth stadium didn’t have to have a roof.
The Launceston ground has one of the best surfaces in the AFL.
Part of me thought Gil’s demand for a new stadium was a way of killing off the Tassie bid.

Grantysghost
26-04-2023, 05:45 PM
That's interesting DG.

How do you think it could work?

I'm not sure why they're insisting on a new stadium either.

azabob
26-04-2023, 05:49 PM
Absolutely. The new Perth stadium didn?t have to have a roof.
The Launceston ground has one of the best surfaces in the AFL.
Part of me thought Gil?s demand for a new stadium was a way of killing off the Tassie bid.

Doesn't Tassie have some of the best soil and growing conditions in the country?

PS, DG; would you drive 2.5 hours to watch the dogs v tassie?

bornadog
26-04-2023, 05:54 PM
I wonder if a lot of players would think like this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FunjFGwaQAAfB1G?format=jpg&name=medium

Grantysghost
26-04-2023, 06:14 PM
I wonder if a lot of players would think like this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FunjFGwaQAAfB1G?format=jpg&name=medium

Makes sense the afl is trying to give clubs more facility to trade players against their wishes.

GVGjr
26-04-2023, 06:58 PM

I hate the way money is wasted in this country on Government projects that you can almost guarantee will blow by 30 to 40%.
You absolutely need to build things but until Governments learn how to deliver them close to being on time and on budget they shouldn't be flippant with tax payers money.
Tassie deserve a a team and a stadium but the costs being projected are excessive to say the least.

I don't agree it's as simple of splitting games between Hobart and Launceston as BAD and BG suggest either as no team should have two home bases so far apart.

DOG GOD
26-04-2023, 07:07 PM
Doesn't Tassie have some of the best soil and growing conditions in the country?

PS, DG; would you drive 2.5 hours to watch the dogs v tassie?

Yes I would Azabob. I’ve flown to Melb to see the dogs, so would certainly drive to Hobart to see the dogs. I’m sure every Tassie AFL fan would hug a Tassie team as their 2nd team, but when push comes to shove, what % of those would actually support the team with their feet and not just their mouths.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-04-2023, 07:10 PM
Team would start 2027 apparently. We don't want to be bottoming out between then and 2030.

Sedat
27-04-2023, 11:13 AM
I hate the way money is wasted in this country on Government projects that you can almost guarantee will blow by 30 to 40%.
You absolutely need to build things but until Governments learn how to deliver them close to being on time and on budget they shouldn't be flippant with tax payers money.
Tassie deserve a a team and a stadium but the costs being projected are excessive to say the least.

I don't agree it's as simple of splitting games between Hobart and Launceston as BAD and BG suggest either as no team should have two home bases so far apart.
Hence why I despise and have utter contempt for all politicians without exception - it's all too easy spending other people's hard-earned money.

lemmon
27-04-2023, 12:28 PM
And this is the thing Bornadog. I live in Launceston and I could not be bothered driving 2.5 hours to Hobart to watch Tassie vs Freo with 12,000 others in a stadium that?s half full. I?ve spoken to friends about this and they all agree with me. It?s a complete waste of money, and the last thing the AFL needs is another team to thin the talent pool out even more, where very mediocre VFL/league players are going to be on AFL lists just to fill them. I?m expecting Tassie draft concessions to be that of GWS where they get 7 of the top 10 picks for their first 3 years or so.

Yes, people have got onboard the Jack jumpers and crowds have been good, but it?s a basketball court. A bit different to an AFL stadium.

I live in Launnie as well and feel the same way about the stadium.

I'm excited for the state to have a side, but the better outcome would've been improving and using what's already there, not wasting money on another stadium.

The state's hospitals and schools could desperately use a chunk of that funding.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-04-2023, 12:54 PM
Yes I would Azabob. I’ve flown to Melb to see the dogs, so would certainly drive to Hobart to see the dogs. I’m sure every Tassie AFL fan would hug a Tassie team as their 2nd team, but when push comes to shove, what % of those would actually support the team with their feet and not just their mouths.

That's what intrigues be most DG. How many serious AFL fans in Tassie already have a team they support and how many of them would switch to a new Tassie team? I can't imagine you'd switch from the dogs.

SquirrelGrip
27-04-2023, 02:47 PM
That's what intrigues be most DG. How many serious AFL fans in Tassie already have a team they support and how many of them would switch to a new Tassie team? I can't imagine you'd switch from the dogs.

That's what they said in every other non-Victorian state before they had AFL teams too. It won't be an issue and supporters will still have a "second" team.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-04-2023, 03:07 PM
That's what they said in every other non-Victorian state before they had AFL teams too. It won't be an issue and supporters will still have a "second" team.

But which team will be the "second" team for most people? I don't think a Tasmanian team can survive if most fans have it as their "second" team.

bornadog
27-04-2023, 03:25 PM
But which team will be the "second" team for most people? I don't think a Tasmanian team can survive if most fans have it as their "second" team.

I think you will find the Tassie team will be well supported

Grantysghost
27-04-2023, 03:31 PM

Ifa Gold Coast team can "survive" surely a Tassie team will?

DOG GOD
27-04-2023, 05:51 PM

I would certainly not swap from Dogs to Tassie. Tasmanians are very partial to their teams. I don?t know many people that DONT support an AFL club, and I know none of my family, friends or work colleagues (by what they have said) will change to support Tassie as their #1.

I have no doubt that Tassie deserves a team. It’s been far too long coming. They should’ve had a team before GC and GWS. It’s a football state FFS and people LOVE their football. I just don’t see the point in having a 28,000 roofed stadium half empty most of the time. A lot of wasted money when there is not too much wrong with the 2 AFL standard grounds we have already.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-04-2023, 06:52 PM
Ifa Gold Coast team can "survive" surely a Tassie team will?

Well....
Gold Coast is probably barely surviving without the AFEL propping it up.

They also probably had new fans junp on who previously weren't really interested in AFL until they got a local team.

The media market is also much larger in the Gold Coast region.

How much $$$ are tasmanians going to invest in their second team in a tiny media market? We can't have the comp propping up multiple teams. I do agree if anyone should have one it's Tassie. The AFEL should be relocating Gold Coast or north instead of having a 19th team. The player talent pool is shallow enough with 18 teams.

ratsmac
27-04-2023, 09:44 PM
If this Tassie team gets the nod you can bet ya balls we'll get pillaged. They'll come for a Bailey Smith, Naughton, English or the like

bulldogsthru&thru
27-04-2023, 10:07 PM
If this Tassie team gets the nod you can bet ya balls we'll get pillaged. They'll come for a Bailey Smith, Naughton, English or the like

I know Siciliy got slammed for it, but really, how many young footballers are going to want to be based in Tassie?

Grantysghost
27-04-2023, 11:02 PM
Bont coming out and saying he likes old El paso is probably a decent comparison to the Sicily gaffe

hujsh
27-04-2023, 11:19 PM
Bont coming out and saying he likes old El paso is probably a decent comparison to the Sicily gaffe

It's probably even more direct than that. Like if Bont said his Mission wraps had a toenail in them

bulldogsthru&thru
28-04-2023, 12:14 AM

Well yeah.....from that angle it was all kinds of stupid.

bornadog
29-04-2023, 03:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fu160p5aQAApcKx?format=jpg&name=large

Grantysghost
29-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Sicily inaugural captain?

bornadog
29-04-2023, 05:03 PM
Sicily inaugural captain?

Angry ant coach

bulldogtragic
29-04-2023, 06:25 PM
$240,000,000 from the Feds.

chef
29-04-2023, 06:54 PM
Another team is just going to dilute the quality of football more, there is already too many teams. Bit crazy for mine.

azabob
29-04-2023, 08:26 PM
Another team is just going to dilute the quality of football more, there is already too many teams. Bit crazy for mine.

Yep. Spot on. Already 100 odd players who shouldn’t be on a list.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-04-2023, 08:52 PM

Yep....the game is going to get even harder to watch. Not a great move for mine either.

whythelongface
29-04-2023, 11:47 PM
The games tonight clearly indicated that there is not enough depth to consider a 19th team. Relocation is the only answer.

jeemak
02-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Here's an update, apparently the club presidents endorsed the Tassie side today:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/club-presidents-give-tasmanian-team-the-green-light-20230502-p5d4yc.html

The new Tasmanian team, set to join the AFL most likely from 2028, will have the right to bid for the sons of any former Tasmanian AFL player, as well as a $1 million pool to fund sign-on bonuses to attract players.

The new Tasmanian team will become a reality after the 18 AFL clubs on Tuesday agreed to the entry of a new 19th team.

Under AFL plans for building the team, the new club will have the right to bid for the sons of any former Tasmanian.

Grantysghost
02-05-2023, 09:44 PM
We can't have a bye can we?

Can we have 20 teams.

Southport look pretty good xD

D Mitchell
02-05-2023, 09:55 PM
Did I read it correctly ? A headline in today's www.news,com, McGuire wants 2 Vic clubs to move to Tasmania ? E'don and C'wood ?

bornadog
02-05-2023, 10:28 PM

Can we have 20 teams.

Southport should be merged with Gold Coast

GVGjr
02-05-2023, 10:44 PM

Can we have 20 teams.

A 3rd team in WA was being speculated on last week.
A lot of people think Southport could be an option.

macca
02-05-2023, 10:44 PM
Or North merge with suns. Call them the sunny kangaroos
This 19th team is going to dilute the draft pool, Again !
Now they want to pickup ex-tasmanian father and sons

Sedat
02-05-2023, 11:20 PM
I hope Jesse Wells has a budding son emerging.

MrMahatma
02-05-2023, 11:50 PM
I?m an optimist. It?ll work out. They need to be competitive from day 1 though. Don?t waste a decade like Bears, Suns, Swans, Dockers?

jeemak
03-05-2023, 12:07 AM
What I'd really like to see is a commitment for development of football and talent pathways outside of the private school systems. Not sure we'd have a talent pool issue if kids who didn't go to private schools were given more opportunities to develop their talents in the middle to late teenage years and experienced exposure to recruiting personnel after some intensive coaching/ skills development.

GVGjr
03-05-2023, 10:53 AM
Huge day for the code and the State. There is plenty of work ahead of everyone concerned.
Has to be the Devils doesn't it?

EasternWest
03-05-2023, 10:55 AM
Huge day for the code and the State. There is plenty of work ahead of everyone concerned.

Must be.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 11:06 AM
Good luck prising that registered Trade Mark from out of Warner Bros hands. I hope they have a contingency plan in place for the name.

If Gil is the master negotiator everybody seems to say he is, I'd love to see him rock up to Warner Bros HQ in Burbank California and start these discussions with a 100 year old global multi-faceted entertainment company and their plethora of intellectual property attorneys. The entire net worth of City Hall would be a rounding error on Warner Bros books.

Ironically, this is an area that KW-W would absolutely excel in and I would trust her 100% to get the best possible result. Not so much Polo Gil.

GVGjr
03-05-2023, 11:07 AM
Good luck prising that Trade Mark from Warner's hands.

Surely they own the cartoon character not the Tassie Devil animal image?

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 11:15 AM
To keep them afloat I'd have a rotating nickname as advertising space.

Tasmanian Amazon's for eg.

Yes the apostrophe is on purpose.

Hold on would they be state named? That would be a first.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 11:18 AM
They'll be called the tigers when it's all said and done.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 11:21 AM
Surely they own the cartoon character not the Tassie Devil animal image?
Warner Bros are the intellectual property owners of the name, which is really everything. And they would have registered the Trade Mark in all relevant commercial classifications of consumer products and services that the AFEL would require for the name to be used and commercialised.

AFEL will have to negotiate with Warner Bros for the current and future commercial value of this intellectual property. It won't be easy and it will be costly.

hujsh
03-05-2023, 11:23 AM
They'll be called the tigers when it's all said and done.

That would be funny just as a further FU to Richmond

hujsh
03-05-2023, 11:29 AM
From the add riddled nightmare hellscape that is the Daily Mail

(https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/afl/article-12036093/Tasmania-not-able-call-AFL-team-Devils-Warner-Brothers-owns-trademark.html#comments) Fans hoping that the new AFL (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/afl/index.html) franchise in Tasmania (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/tasmania/index.html) will be called the Devils may end up disappointed with the league set to clash with Warner Bros over the use of the name, which is also a cartoon character owned by the entertainment company.

Tasmania will have an AFL team after the presidents of the 18 existing clubs unanimously agreed to grant the state the league's 19th licence on Tuesday.

In the wake of Saturday's announcement of federal government funding for a new waterfront stadium in Hobart, existing club presidents met and unanimously ticked off Tasmania's entry into the league.

A brief AFL statement, quoting outgoing chief executive Gillon McLachlan, confirmed that the AFL Commission has ratified the decision for a 19th team to be formed.
'See you in Tassie tomorrow,' McLachlan said.

The AFL has filed for a trademark on the use of the name Tassie Devils while an under-18s side on the Apple Isle is already using the moniker

The Tasmanian Devil is a carnivorous marsupial native to the island state - and also a beloved Warner Brothers cartoon character

The Tasmanian Devils is the fan-favourite name for the new team, along with other options including the Apples, Mariners and Mountaineers.
However, the AFL would need to broker a deal with Warner Brothers Entertainment to use the Devils moniker.

The National Basketball League (NBL) featured the Hobart Devils from 1983-1986 and the Hobart Tassie Devils from 1987?1995, with the Hobart Devils name returning for the franchise's final season in 1996.

When the club folded, Warner Brothers quickly trademarked the character and registered the name Tasmanian Devil in 1997.

When the NBL announced that Tasmania would be returning to the league in the 2021/22 season, the name was unavailable because a request for the name 'Tassie Devils' to be trademarked had been filed by the AFL with the Federal Government (https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/view/2009842?q=tassie+devils).

That application has been sitting in limbo since 2019 with a final determination to be made by July 17 this year.
The AFL had intended to use the name for a potential VFL side from the Apple Isle, instead using it for an under-18s side (https://www.facebook.com/tasmaniadevilsfc) called the Tasmania Devils, while the Tasmanian basketball side ultimately became the Jackjumpers.

I'm no lawyer but I can't imagine that WB can trademark the concept of an animal anymore than Disney can trademark the concept of a mouse.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 11:35 AM
I'm no lawyer but I can't imagine that WB can trademark the concept of an animal anymore than Disney can trademark the concept of a mouse.
They can't but they can absolutely trademark the name, which they have done. There is a commercial value for this intellectual property and the current owner will need to be adequately compensated (for its present day value and for its future value in consumer products and services). Sharing the intellectual property of the name is an option but that won't be easy or cheap either, and it will be messier. Anyway, I'm sure the boffins at City Hall would have factored this in and have a plan in place accordingly because it is not a simple nor an inexpensive process.

As I said, KW-W has the perfect experience to manage this negotiation (although she is president of the biggest direct competitor to Warner Bros, which would make it complicated for different reasons).

It really is the only name the new team should have - anything else will be an inferior substitute.

hujsh
03-05-2023, 11:56 AM
They can't but they can absolutely trademark the name, which they have done. There is a commercial value for this intellectual property and the current owner will need to be adequately compensated (for its present day value and for its future value in consumer products and services). Sharing the intellectual property of the name is an option but that won't be easy or cheap either, and it will be messier. Anyway, I'm sure the boffins at City Hall would have factored this in and have a plan in place accordingly because it is not a simple nor an inexpensive process.

As I said, KW-W has the perfect experience to manage this negotiation (although she is president of the biggest direct competitor to Warner Bros, which would make it complicated for different reasons).

It really is the only name the new team should have - anything else will be an inferior substitute.

Okay but surely if I trademark the name of an existing animal that really has no legal weight unless the copy something from the character itself. Micky Mouse or Tony the Tiger is one thing but if I made a character named Wombat there's no way that would stop someone naming a team the Wombats.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 12:08 PM
Okay but surely if I trademark the name of an existing animal that really has no legal weight unless the copy something from the character itself. Micky Mouse or Tony the Tiger is one thing but if I made a character named Wombat there's no way that would stop someone naming a team the Wombats.
All iterations of the name (ie: Tassie Devil, Tasmanian Devil) are owned by Warner Bros and the trademark of this name has been registered by its owner for commercial use purposes in all classifications of consumer goods and services. There could be a legal argument mounted that the name is in the public domain (being an existing animal) and can therefore be used by multiple parties, but I don't think that will fly because the AFEL are fully intending to commercialise the name through this team and not through the existing animal.

I suspect the AFEL are going to have to come to the table and negotiate with Warner Bros for the formal release of the name (or to share usage of the name in a commercial capacity). Or they will go the cheap option and use an inferior name for the new team.

MrMahatma
03-05-2023, 12:14 PM
All iterations of the name (ie: Tassie Devil, Tasmanian Devil) are owned by Warner Bros and the trademark of this name has been registered by its owner for commercial use purposes in all classifications of consumer goods and services. There could be a legal argument mounted that the name is in the public domain (being an existing animal) and can therefore be used by multiple parties, but I don't think that will fly because the AFEL are fully intending to commercialise the name through this team and not through the existing animal.

I suspect the AFEL are going to have to come to the table and negotiate with Warner Bros for the formal release of the name (or to share usage of the name in a commercial capacity). Or they will go the cheap option and use an inferior name for the new team.

Hopefully WB look at it as an opportunity and put some sponsor $ behind them, rather than limiting it.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Hopefully WB look at it as an opportunity and put some sponsor $ behind them, rather than limiting it.
That's a possibility but Warner Bros completely holds the whip hand here - I could possibly see it working in a co-branded capacity (for example, Taz being the official club mascot would be quite tempting for them), but Warner Bros effectively having partial ownership of the new team through commercial application means they have the AFEL in their pockets. Also how would the new team feel about playing games at Marvel Stadium, unless of course Warner Bros coerces the AFEL to change the name to DC Comics Stadium ;)

Daughter of the West
03-05-2023, 12:43 PM
The Tasmanian Devils is the fan-favourite name for the new team, along with other options including the Apples, Mariners and Mountaineers.
However, the AFL would need to broker a deal with Warner Brothers Entertainment to use the Devils moniker.

Who are the fans that want to be known as apples?!? The Mariners or Mountaineers sure, but how intimidating is piece of fruit??

Flamethrower
03-05-2023, 12:52 PM
WB has trademarked Tasmanian Devil, the Coyote and the Roadrunner.

NHL team Arizona are the Coyotes, and University of Texas at San Antonio are the Roadrunners.

AFLs new club should be the Hobart Devils.

And tell the Seppos to worry about their own hole of a country that is heading for idiocracy.

And I forgot about the NHL's New Jersey Devils - the nickname is already used in Seppo land.

bornadog
03-05-2023, 12:53 PM
The name of the new club doesn't necessarily have to have the Name Tasmania, or Tassie in it, does it?

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 12:54 PM
Who are the fans that want to be known as apples?!? The Mariners or Mountaineers sure, but how intimidating is piece of fruit??

Can you imagine their mascot? You'd think you'd have gone to a health education lesson for kids.

What would their club song be??

hujsh
03-05-2023, 12:57 PM
Can you imagine their mascot? You'd think you'd have gone to a health education lesson for kids.

What would their club song be??
They say an apple a day
keeps the doctor away
but you'll need a doctor
when the apples are done with you

GVGjr
03-05-2023, 12:57 PM
The name of the new club doesn't necessarily have to have the Name Tasmania, or Tassie in it, does it?

Good point, the devil's might clash with the demons though.

bornadog
03-05-2023, 01:01 PM

yeah I wouldn't have devils because of that.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 01:06 PM

That's what I always thought with the devils. Surely melbourne wouldn't be ok with it. Would we be OK if they called themselves the houndogs? Or even the poodles?

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 01:07 PM
They say an apple a day
keeps the doctor away
but you'll need a doctor

It writes itself

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 01:08 PM

That all depends on where they're based doesn't it? Given they'd want to cover the whole state, I'm sure they'll be called Tasmania.

hujsh
03-05-2023, 01:13 PM
That's what I always thought with the devils. Surely melbourne wouldn't be ok with it. Would we be OK if they called themselves the houndogs? Or even the poodles?

Well you see devils and demons are actually quite distinct. While both originate from the lower evil planes the Devils are lawful while demons are chaotic. Demons don't discriminate with who they attack and why thus they constantly invade the 9 Hells through the river Styx. The devils are the first line of defense against Demons and thus many see them as a necessary evil including the Celestial forces.

Nothing like the similarities between breeds of dogs.

hujsh
03-05-2023, 01:14 PM
Well you see devils and demons are actually quite distinct. While both originate from the lower evil planes the Devils are lawful while demons are chaotic. Demons don't discriminate with who they attack and why thus they constantly invade the 9 Hells through the river Styx. The devils are the first line of defense against Demons and thus many see them as a necessary evil including the Celestial forces.

Just to save everyone the trouble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Rocket Science
03-05-2023, 01:55 PM
Stuff Warner. If concerns about buy-in given the north / south divide are real, 'Islanders' could be a unifying cry.

Lean into those 'us against those uppity mainlanders' vibes.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 01:55 PM
Why would they deliberately reduce the size of their overall market (which is not huge to begin with) and also reinforce the north-south divide which has thwarted their previous bids? This is a whole of Tasmania team and the bid has been prepared and promoted accordingly - if it wasn't they would not be granted a license.

Before I Die
03-05-2023, 01:58 PM

Eagles, Hawks, Magpies and Swans

Lions and Tigers

I think that precedent has already been set.

EasternWest
03-05-2023, 02:15 PM
Good luck prising that registered Trade Mark from out of Warner Bros hands. I hope they have a contingency plan in place for the name.

If Gil is the master negotiator everybody seems to say he is, I'd love to see him rock up to Warner Bros HQ in Burbank California and start these discussions with a 100 year old global multi-faceted entertainment company and their plethora of intellectual property attorneys. The entire net worth of City Hall would be a rounding error on Warner Bros books.

Ironically, this is an area that KW-W would absolutely excel in and I would trust her 100% to get the best possible result. Not so much Polo Gil.

It'll be as effective as the hill folk protesting the McDonald's being built in Tecoma by going to McD's head office in the US.

Result: Macca's has been operating there for 6 or 7 years now.

josie
03-05-2023, 02:16 PM
Tasmanian Devils - just has to be. I don?t think there will be any confusion with Melbourne Dees as long as logo and mascot are based more so on the native animal.

Something like the looney tunes Taz, without breaching copyright there either!!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_Devil_(Looney_Tunes)

EasternWest
03-05-2023, 02:18 PM

Just to save everyone the trouble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

I love both of these comments, you union busting capitalist pig nerd.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 02:21 PM
It'll be as effective as the hill folk protesting the McDonald's being built in Tecoma by going to McD's head office in the US.

Result: Macca's has been operating there for 6 or 7 years now.
They should have gone the McDowell's route from 'Coming to America'

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 02:21 PM
I say their colours be black and red like the animal. Maybe they could have a black jumper and a red sash.

hujsh
03-05-2023, 02:28 PM
I love both of these comments, you union busting capitalist pig nerd.

I think you'll find I'm actually so pro-union that I hate big unions in the proud tradition of leftist infighting.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 02:45 PM
They should have gone the McDowell's route from 'Coming to America'

They have the big Mac, we have the big mick!

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 03:10 PM
I think you'll find I'm actually so pro-union that I hate big unions in the proud tradition of leftist infighting.

Apes together strong.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 03:26 PM
https://twitter.com/SENBreakfast/status/1653604794899263490?t=MIGvTUG9OQ6Rqkd-gMKt5Q&s=19

This exchange on SEN this morning pretty much covers off everything discussed on this thread around the current impasse with Warner Bros. Not 100% sure of the credentials of the expert that Mitch Cleary used for his info - might be worth getting a 2nd opinion against a global behemoth like WB

GVGjr
03-05-2023, 03:46 PM
Stuff Warner. If concerns about buy-in given the north / south divide are real, 'Islanders' could be a unifying cry.

The Islanders isn't a bad option but it has to be the Tassie Devils. Stuff Warner Bros.

If they were smart Warner Bros could be the naming rights partner for the new venue.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 03:52 PM
So officially stated they will enter in 2028.

Does this impact clubs' plans regarding rebuilds/refreshers? You don't want to be finishing near the bottom in 2027 or have any guns out of contract.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 03:55 PM

Someone reading woof?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tassie-islanders-greats-solution-to-new-afl-teams-devils-issue/news-story/4f15d42247c7c6fa9df77065f7e38f20

Axe Man
03-05-2023, 03:56 PM
The Carlton Draft have a few alternatives to Devils:

https://i.postimg.cc/xjW3JkjM/toads.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Link (https://carltondrafttshirts.com/search?q=Tasmania&fbclid=IwAR3w-lLhj2XHzsPKxRkrNxQcjVE4i-VYYTNhwnzF0BaKFVS-WhY4wHzG2uI)

bornadog
03-05-2023, 03:59 PM
Funny Tweet from AFL Integrity Unit @IntegrityUnit (parody account)

Current Tasmanian team jumper concept: stripes representing the thylacine, black and white of the famous Tassie devil, combining to evoke the state?s convict heritage. Iconic. Can?t see anybody objecting.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvKOe_6aMAAh12w?format=jpg&name=small

Daughter of the West
03-05-2023, 04:00 PM
They say an apple a day
keeps the doctor away
but you'll need a doctor

Sammy J is onto it:

"Apples might seem harmful to women and men, but apple pips are poisonous if you eat enough of them"

I got it wrong, fruit is terrifying!

https://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/programs/breakfast/the-tassie-apples-theme-song/102297404

bornadog
03-05-2023, 04:03 PM
Sammy J is onto it:

"Apples might seem harmful to women and men, but apple pips are poisonous if you eat enough of them"

I got it wrong, fruit is terrifying!

https://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/programs/breakfast/the-tassie-apples-theme-song/102297404

Good one.. Love Sammy J saw him at the comedy festival

Before I Die
03-05-2023, 04:04 PM
How about - The Maps

I’ll let myself out.

Dogs 24/7
03-05-2023, 04:07 PM
They should enlist the services of Bulldogtragic and The Doctor to help recruit the right players to the club.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 04:29 PM
The Islanders isn't a bad option but it has to be the Tassie Devils. Stuff Warner Bros.

If they were smart Warner Bros could be the naming rights partner for the new venue.
WB didn't get obscenely rich over the last 100 years by being altruistic or generous - they will drive a hard bargain, and rightly so for being proactive and showing the foresight to register the commercial application for the trademark many years ago (if only the AFEL showed as much foresight). It is currently their name and brand when it comes to commercial application, and the AFEL needs to come to the table with some bread.

I suspect they will promise absolutely nothing to the AFEL other than "to enter discussions in the spirit of goodwill" and screw down hard to ultimately get exactly what they want - naming rights to the new stadium is a pretty good starting point, at a discounted rate for their "spirit of goodwill".

josie
03-05-2023, 05:14 PM
I say their colours be black and red like the animal. Maybe they could have a black jumper and a red sash.

Made my day. Whatever it takes. Thanks BTT.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 05:22 PM
WB didn't get obscenely rich over the last 100 years by being altruistic or generous - they will drive a hard bargain, and rightly so for being proactive and showing the foresight to register the commercial application for the trademark many years ago (if only the AFEL showed as much foresight). It is currently their name and brand when it comes to commercial application, and the AFEL needs to come to the table with some bread.

I suspect they will promise absolutely nothing to the AFEL other than "to enter discussions in the spirit of goodwill" and screw down hard to ultimately get exactly what they want - naming rights to the new stadium is a pretty good starting point, at a discounted rate for their "spirit of goodwill".

Warner Bros don't know what's about to hit them Sedat. Slobbo Robbo is ready to march all over them. They'll be out of their depth.

“That’s crap (Warner Bros has the commercial trademark). I know they do, but that’s rubbish,” Robinson said.

“There’s got to be goodwill in this world, if we run out of goodwill, we’re all in trouble.

“(Warner Bros) only got the name because of Tasmania. If Tasmania wants to call their football team the Tasmanian (Devils), they do it.”

“If Warner Bros says: ‘You’ve got to pay us money,’ all of Australia boycotts all Warner Bros movies,” he said.

“This can’t happen, and it won’t happen. I’ve still got faith in this world there’s enough goodwill around.”

DOG GOD
03-05-2023, 05:27 PM
If they have the boring state jumper with the map and the ?T?, the marketing dept need to be shot. Come up with something original PLEASE!!!! No way it won?t be called ?Tasmania?. Games will be played in both Launceston and Hobart. They need unity. Call it Hobart and it?s dead in the water.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 05:33 PM
Warner Bros don't know what's about to hit them Sedat. Slobbo Robbo is ready to march all over them. They'll be out of their depth.

?That?s crap (Warner Bros has the commercial trademark). I know they do, but that?s rubbish,? Robinson said.

?There?s got to be goodwill in this world, if we run out of goodwill, we?re all in trouble.

?(Warner Bros) only got the name because of Tasmania. If Tasmania wants to call their football team the Tasmanian (Devils), they do it.?

?If Warner Bros says: ?You?ve got to pay us money,? all of Australia boycotts all Warner Bros movies,? he said.

?This can?t happen, and it won?t happen. I?ve still got faith in this world there?s enough goodwill around.?
God they are screwed. I bet they didn't bank on incurring the wrath and searing intellect of Slobbo. I think the only way Warner Bros can get out of this is to sign a contra deal with Robbo and have his alter ego Slobbo featured as the lead character in the next DC Comics movie franchise.

Comments like the above from Robbo (and from Loinchop and Tim Watson on the SEN grab earlier in the thread) only reinforce just how out of touch the AFEL bubble is from the real world. Warner Bros could crush the AFEL in a nanosecond, such is their immense wealth, global power and reach. They own the name and the AFEL will have to bring knee pads to the negotiation table.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 05:38 PM
God they are screwed. I bet they didn't bank on incurring the wrath and searing intellect of Slobbo.

I think the only way Warner Bros can get out of this is to sign a contra deal with Robbo and have his alter ego Slobbo featured as the lead character in the next DC Comics movie franchise.

Comments like the above from Robbo (and from Loinchop and Tim Watson on the SEN grab earlier in the thread) only reinforce just how out of touch the AFEL bubble is from the real world. Warner Bros could crush the AFEL in a nanosecond, such is their global power and reach. They own the name and the AFEL will have to bring the knee pads to the negotiation table.

Oh boy we need a RocketScience photoshop on this.

EasternWest
03-05-2023, 05:44 PM
Oh boy we need a RocketScience photoshop on this.

Seconded.

Axe Man
03-05-2023, 05:44 PM
If they have the boring state jumper with the map and the ?T?, the marketing dept need to be shot. Come up with something original PLEASE!!!! No way it won?t be called ?Tasmania?. Games will be played in both Launceston and Hobart. They need unity. Call it Hobart and it?s dead in the water.

How about Woodbury? Google tells me it's halfway between Hobart and Launceston. The Woodbury Woodpeckers!

Oh wait, Universal Studios already own that one apparently.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 05:45 PM
God they are screwed. I bet they didn't bank on incurring the wrath and searing intellect of Slobbo. I think the only way Warner Bros can get out of this is to sign a contra deal with Robbo and have his alter ego Slobbo featured as the lead character in the next DC Comics movie franchise.

Comments like the above from Robbo (and from Loinchop and Tim Watson on the SEN grab earlier in the thread) only reinforce just how out of touch the AFEL bubble is from the real world. Warner Bros could crush the AFEL in a nanosecond, such is their immense wealth, global power and reach. They own the name and the AFEL will have to bring knee pads to the negotiation table.

They aren't out of touch at all, they know their base.

They are riling them, emotion = clicks /listens.

Sedat
03-05-2023, 05:47 PM
They aren't out of touch at all, they know their base.

They are riling them, emotion = clicks /listens.
There's that, but they genuinely believe the AFEL is the big fish in this battle.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 05:48 PM
Don't they have the jack jumpers?
Tassie Amphisbaenas

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 05:49 PM
There's that, but they genuinely believe the AFEL is the big fish in this battle.

You're avin' me on.

Axe Man
03-05-2023, 05:50 PM

Surely you aren't questioning Robbo's legal chops? I heard he's seen The Castle at least twice.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 05:57 PM
Surely you aren't questioning Robbo's legal chops? I heard he's seen The Castle at least twice.

*Sedat round house kicks a punching bag in the background*

Sedat
03-05-2023, 06:09 PM
*Sedat round house kicks a punching bag in the background*
Eric Bana's character and I share the same first name ;)

Axe Man
03-05-2023, 06:17 PM

Chopper? ;)

Sedat
03-05-2023, 06:19 PM
Chopper? ;)
I wish it was Neville - would also be happy with Sammy the Turk, seeing as he's a Footscray supporter ;)

jeemak
03-05-2023, 06:26 PM
Tassie Salmon/ Seals.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 06:37 PM
So we have to get rid of the top 8 now right.

Too many miss out.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 06:51 PM
So we have to get rid of the top 8 now right.

Too many miss out.

Yep. How a top 10 will look will be interesting as it's more difficult to avoid odd numbers.

Maybe the wild card week might work with 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 whilst the top 6 have a bye. Then go to the current top 8 system.

jeemak
03-05-2023, 07:00 PM
Or....we just keep it as top eight and the finals as a four week block at the end of an already long season.

More teams making the finals than not is silly to me.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 07:03 PM
Or....we just keep it as top eight and the finals as a four week block at the end of an already long season.

Imagine the non games. Doubt they can do it.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2023, 07:05 PM
Imagine the non games. Doubt they can do it.

Exactly. Interest needs to be maintained so more teams being in contention is needed. This is with a view of a 20 team comp which will happen shortly after Tassie come in. AFL won't want weekly byes for long.

With 20 teams id prefer the season is shortened to 19 rounds or 20 including the cash rivalry round. But the AFEL won't do it having already gone up to 23 rounds.

jeemak
03-05-2023, 07:17 PM
Are non-games at the end of the season better than routes in finals?

And how much of a compounding impact would one team have on actual non-games at the end of the season? Are we talking one or two more a year?

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 07:21 PM
Are non-games at the end of the season better than routes in finals?

And how much of a compounding impact would one team have on actual non-games at the end of the season? Are we talking one or two more a year?

11 teams missing out just seems a bit off to me.

jeemak
03-05-2023, 07:30 PM
11 teams missing out just seems a bit off to me.

Yeah, and more teams making it than missing out seems perfectly normal.....

hujsh
03-05-2023, 07:33 PM

Add a 20th team and have everyone play eachother once. One year home, the other away. If you play Freo away you play WCE home. It won't be perfectly fair (which would need 38 games or something) but it's about as unmolested by other interests as possible and as close as is realistic.

You can still get all your state mandated 'blockbusters' too.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 07:34 PM
Yeah, and more teams making it than missing out seems perfectly normal.....

Don't like that either.

Come up with a plan Jee.

Top 9? Can that be a thing?

jeemak
03-05-2023, 07:35 PM
Don't like that either.

Come up with a plan Jee.

Top 9? Can that be a thing?

Top eight. Same format. That's my plan, anyone who says otherwise can get stuffed. :)

jeemak
03-05-2023, 07:36 PM
Add a 20th team and have everyone play eachother once. One year home, the other away. If you play Freo away you play WCE home. It won't be perfectly fair (which would need 38 games or something) but it's about as unmolested by other interests as possible and as close as is realistic.

You can still get all your state mandated 'blockbusters' too.

I think we'll see the relocation argument come about again prior to going to twenty teams. Or, the removal of one of GWS or GCS.

EasternWest
03-05-2023, 08:50 PM

Poida?

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 08:59 PM
Poida?

Haha... Swoit!

bornadog
03-05-2023, 11:56 PM
What happens to gather round, one team misses

jeemak
04-05-2023, 12:02 AM

You just clocked the internet.

jeemak
04-05-2023, 12:06 AM

Seriously though, by then it will be held in Victoria so we'll get the bye and have to travel to Perth each side of it. Which is only fair.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 08:31 AM

20 teams probably - they maybe have one year where a team just goes and does clinics or something before the 20th team comes in.

jazzadogs
04-05-2023, 09:04 AM
I believe the indigenous name for Tasmania is Iutruwita.

How about some other indigenous fauna, combined with Iutruwita...The Iutruwita Dragons? The Iutruwita Wombats? The Iutruwita Bandicoots? The Iutruwita Scrubtits?

Or if Iutruwita is too much, google tells me (and the people in charge would need to do more research!) that the indigenous name for the Tassie Devil is purinina. So the Tasmanian Purinina, with an emblem of a 'Tassie Devil'.

As a country we do a poor job of promoting and learning the indigenous languages, and the history of genocide in Tasmania in particular is shocking. This could be used as a stepping stone to larger conversations and appreciation of first nations culture.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 09:10 AM
Love it.

I personally like the idea of having both the indigenous and current names.

Like Iutruwita Tasmania Wombats.

Although it's probably not practical in terms of length.

Also love the idea of Wombats.

Totally under appreciated marsupial. I mean they have square crap. You can't top that.

GVGjr
04-05-2023, 09:33 AM

While it's still a few years away there was some talk that a home team might play on a Thursday and then front up again on the following Wednesday.

The Underdog
04-05-2023, 10:11 AM
I believe the indigenous name for Tasmania is Iutruwita.

How about some other indigenous fauna, combined with Iutruwita...The Iutruwita Dragons? The Iutruwita Wombats? The Iutruwita Bandicoots? The Iutruwita Scrubtits?

Or if Iutruwita is too much, google tells me (and the people in charge would need to do more research!) that the indigenous name for the Tassie Devil is purinina. So the Tasmanian Purinina, with an emblem of a 'Tassie Devil'.

As a country we do a poor job of promoting and learning the indigenous languages, and the history of genocide in Tasmania in particular is shocking. This could be used as a stepping stone to larger conversations and appreciation of first nations culture.

If you think the Channel 7 commentary team are going to be able to pronounce Iutruwita or say Scrubtits without giggling like 11 yo boys you just don't know them. Besides, doing this would be more like action rather than lip service, and that's not how the AFL works.

Sedat
04-05-2023, 10:50 AM
If you think the Channel 7 commentary team are going to be able to pronounce Iutruwita or say Scrubtits without giggling like 11 yo boys you just don't know them. Besides, doing this would be more like action rather than lip service, and that's not how the AFL works.
I thought the Iutruwita Footy Factory was almost as strong as the Calder Cannons?

GVGjr
04-05-2023, 11:00 AM
It's great that a heartland state will now have a team but the hard work is now in front of all concerned
For starters they'll need to fix and strengthen the local competition and develop a strong junior football program.
Then set-up a VFL side and in time start drafting and recruiting players.

5 years sounds like a lot of time but there is so much to get done and they'll need to get things set-up quickly.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 11:05 AM

It's true.

I like Wurundjeri Footscray Bulldogs as a name. I focus grouped it with some bogans I know (good ones) and they said it's too long.

Probably right.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-05-2023, 11:21 AM

You mean like how Tom Browne said last night that it'd be wonderful to have the 20th team in the NT as an indigenous all-star team would be fantastic?

The Underdog
04-05-2023, 11:27 AM
You mean like how Tom Browne said last night that it'd be wonderful to have the 20th team in the NT as an indigenous all-star team would be fantastic?

It's well known that all indigenous players are from the NT and would be happy to go back there to play. Tom is very smart.
Of course Eddie Maguire mentioned that it will be difficult due to the current social upheaval in the NT, because he watches lots of Sky after Dark.

The Underdog
04-05-2023, 11:32 AM
Tasmania Forests, Tasmania Loggers, Tasmania Bob Browns, just spit balling.

Or (stay with me here)...the Lambies

jazzadogs
04-05-2023, 11:32 AM

I did have a giggle to myself about how bogan white Australia would react - 'woke culture GONE MAD' - but I think we can do better than Melbourne renaming themselves Naarm for one week each year.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 11:38 AM
I did have a giggle to myself about how bogan white Australia would react - 'woke culture GONE MAD' - but I think we can do better than Melbourne renaming themselves Naarm for one week each year.

Melbourne :

https://media.giphy.com/media/YYfEjWVqZ6NDG/giphy.gif

jeemak
04-05-2023, 01:06 PM
Has anyone asked indigenous people whether they're cool with white establishment institutions appropriating indigenous names for things?

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 01:29 PM
Has anyone asked indigenous people whether they're cool with white establishment institutions appropriating indigenous names for things?

You would really hope so.

hujsh
04-05-2023, 01:35 PM

Gil speaks to lots of indigenous people and he says they all say it's the best thing to ever happen

bornadog
04-05-2023, 01:40 PM
AFLPA PRESIDENT DANGERFIELD BACKS RULE FOR TASSIE TO RECRUIT CONTRACTED PLAYERS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/04/aflpa-president-dangerfield-backs-rule-for-tassie-to-recruit-contracted/)

Geelong superstar and AFLPA President Patrick Dangerfield believes the newly announced Tasmanian team should have access to contracted players from rival clubs ahead of their inaugural 2028 season.

To have Tasmania competitive straight away, Dangerfield believes the new franchise should be able to recruit one player from every club - no matter their contract status - if they choose to join the AFL?s 19th side.

On top of draft concessions, Dangerfield feels a move like this would allow the AFL to build up their new club properly.

?My view is that the Tasmanian team should have access to contracted players,? Dangerfield told SEN Mornings.

?One from every club, regardless of contract, if they choose to join Tasmania, then they should be able to do that.

?Whether there's a mechanism for reimbursement to those clubs, I'm not really sure. I don't think it really makes much sense (to do that).

?I think if we're going to do this and do this properly, then Tasmania should have access to not only the best talent, but the best possible people in order to create something that's truly unique and truly special.

?Quite clearly generating a really strong culture is part of that.

?So I think having the ability to choose whoever you like, regardless of contract status would be a really important part of that.?

When asked whether clubs should receive any kind of protection for losing contracted players to Tasmania, Dangerfield believes that should come by simply creating a strong enough environment ahead of 2028 so that none of your players want to leave their current clubs to join the new franchise.

?Your level of protection is providing an environment for your players that they don't want to leave,? Dangerfield said.

?So I think what it does is promote clubs to provide the best possible environment, so they don't want to leave because the environment they're in is successful.

?I think it generates competition with the existing clubs to provide a great framework for their players to enjoy and not want to leave.

?That is what I would say would make sense.?

With critics of the 19th side suggesting there?s not enough talent at the top level to support a new club, Dangerfield believes the AFL doesn?t need to add more players than the amount that are currently listed by clubs.

The AFLPA President believes the competition should instead cut list sizes to allow the talent level to stay the same with clubs potentially having access to VFL, SANFL or WAFL players instead.

?I think you probably keep it the same (the overall number of AFL players),? Dangerfield said.

?What you might do is reduce (list sizes) from every club in order to try and maintain that talent pool ? it can get shallow towards the end.

?I think it probably makes sense, but then you've got to look at the levers of players being able to come from the SANFL, from the WAFL, from the VFL from the clubs that you are aligned to in that second-tier competition.

?There are huge opportunities to look at the way that the game is structured currently.?

The AFL is yet to announce what draft concessions and player recruitment policies the new side will have access to.

hujsh
04-05-2023, 02:10 PM
More like Patrick Dumberfield amiright

bulldogsthru&thru
04-05-2023, 02:21 PM

That's a whole field of dumb right there.

But I couldn't help but just agree with everything the great man was saying. They should give him an advisory role to the new CEO.

SquirrelGrip
04-05-2023, 02:45 PM

What an absolute goose!

Axe Man
04-05-2023, 03:12 PM
First signing for Tassie can be Sam De Koning then, fresh off signing a 99 year contract with the cats.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 03:28 PM
He's thinking of his future.

Lots of job opportunities for Danger.

Contracted player from each club what a flog... With no reimbursement!

jazzadogs
04-05-2023, 04:03 PM
It will be interesting if they go the Gold Coast route (try to bring in good players in their prime to improve on field fortunes, trade some high picks) or the GWS route (stockpile high picks, bring in older heads to help build culture).

Could the free agent compo come out of their allocated extra picks?

jazzadogs
04-05-2023, 04:24 PM

I would definitely hope so. My suggestion is coming from a white background, so would definitely need further consultation to check that the words are even correct!

But I've made the point elsewhere that other countries are great at incorporating their first nations languages into everyday life (e.g. Wales, NZ) and we should be doing a lot more on this front, lead by our first nations people.

Rocket Science
04-05-2023, 07:06 PM

Not least of all one with an active track record of jibbing it every time they're asked to exercise leadership and accountability by its Indigenous cohort.

Stevo
04-05-2023, 07:48 PM
I mean they are good footballers but why do we care if Corey and Chad Warner dont want Tassie to use the Devils logo? :)

jeemak
04-05-2023, 07:55 PM
I mean they are good footballers but why do we care if Corey and Chad Warner dont want Tassie to use the Devils logo? :)

I'm hanging around for Candice's opinion on it more than anyone else's.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 08:00 PM
I'm hanging around for Candice's opinion on it more than anyone else's.

As long as it's on an LG plasthmavision it's ok.

hujsh
12-05-2023, 02:25 PM
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-12/tasmania-liberal-government-in-minority-mps-defect-over-stadium/102333446

Not a great endorsement. Have to imagine if the MPs quit the party there’s a fair amount of feedback from the public they need to be seen to react to

westdog54
13-05-2023, 09:45 AM
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-12/tasmania-liberal-government-in-minority-mps-defect-over-stadium/102333446

Not a great endorsement. Have to imagine if the MPs quit the party there’s a fair amount of feedback from the public they need to be seen to react to

Add to that that the opposition won't back the new stadium (politically speaking they'd be mad to right now) and all of a sudden a Tasmanian team is no longer a sure thing.

GVGjr
13-05-2023, 10:47 AM
Add to that that the opposition won't back the new stadium (politically speaking they'd be mad to right now) and all of a sudden a Tasmanian team is no longer a sure thing.

I think Gil mentioned that there was a chance the ground wouldn't be completed before 2028, and seeing how long projects and road works take in Victoria I'd say that is a real chance, so he more or less indicated that year one might be out of UTAS stadium.
That would be a huge mistake and essentially it would be working temporary or disjointed facilities.
Tend to agree that there is a lot more to play out before this becomes a sure thing.

It's a massive infrastructure investment in Tas and it will be huge for the economy etc but it currently hasn't won over enough of the public down there.

Bulldog Joe
13-05-2023, 11:14 AM
I think Gil mentioned that there was a chance the ground wouldn't be completed before 2028, and seeing how long projects and road works take in Victoria I'd say that is a real chance, so he more or less indicated that year one might be out of UTAS stadium.
That would be a huge mistake and essentially it would be working temporary or disjointed facilities.
Tend to agree that there is a lot more to play out before this becomes a sure thing.

It's a massive infrastructure investment in Tas and it will be huge for the economy etc but it currently hasn't won over enough of the public down there.

There has been no business case revealed to justify the expense.
Even the MPs that have defected have stated that a transparent view can get them onboard.
I believe that view is shared by a large part of the Tasmanian population

GVGjr
13-05-2023, 11:25 AM
There has been no business case revealed to justify the expense.
Even the MPs that have defected have stated that a transparent view can get them onboard.
I believe that view is shared by a large part of the Tasmanian population

I wonder how the very likely risk of a massive cost blow out has shaped peoples views down there? Given there is also a lack of transparency no wonder people as skeptical. A 700M cost projection will be more likely 1.2B.

Bulldog Joe
13-05-2023, 01:48 PM
I wonder how the very likely risk of a massive cost blow out has shaped peoples views down there? Given there is also a lack of transparency no wonder people as skeptical. A 700M cost projection will be more likely 1.2B.

Particularly if any blowout becomes the sole responsibility of Tasmanian taxpayers