PDA

View Full Version : Our early draft picks

Stevo
04-12-2022, 03:44 PM
Hopefully this is the right board.
Ive been impressed with the draft picks we have brought in over the last few years and I wonder if we are strictly sticking to the best available?

2022 - Busslinger (13) Clarke (24) and Gallagher (39)
1 key position player, 1 small forward and 1 small defender

2021 - Darcy (2) A.Jones (43) and Cleary (61)
1 key position, 1 small midfielder, 1 mid sized defender

2020 - Ugle-Hagan (1) Bedendo (55)
1 key position, 1 tall midfielder

2019 - Weightman (15) Butler (53*) Garcia (62) Gardner (6) mid season
1 key position, 2 small forwards, 1 small defender who has been already been delisted

Three things stand out and they are we have been grabbing key position players but have avoided ruckman, its a lot more balanced in terms of positional coverage and we havent been been churning over the list that much.
How do you think we have done because it looks impressive to me?

GVGjr
04-12-2022, 06:05 PM
We've done well but I suspect we should have been turning the list over a bit more. 4 KPP in the last 4 years isn't bad either. Throw in a decent ruck over the last couple of years and I'd say we had invested wisely.
A lot will depend on how Garcia, Bedendo, Jones and Cleary develop.

hujsh
04-12-2022, 06:07 PM
In terms of early picks it's hard to judge because we have Weightman (a success), Jamarra and Darcy (freebies) and Busslinger/Clarke this year (too early to judge) with picks sub 25 is probably the cutoff for 'early'.

After the early picks you'd expect the success rate to fall.

I'd probably categorise them as:

Failures: Butler

Some Doubts: Bedendo, Jones

Promising: Cleary, Garcia

Success: Gardner

Gallagher also obviously needs more time to get a feel of where he's at.

If of those 6 draftees who are mostly after pick 50 we can say that 3 became AFL quality players then it's a pretty good strike rate.

However if only Gardner is on the list in 2025 you'd probably have to wonder if we're identifying or developing these speculative picks well enough.

hujsh
04-12-2022, 06:09 PM
We've done well but I suspect we should have been turning the list over a bit more. 4 KPP in the last 4 years isn't bad either. Throw in a decent ruck over the last couple of years and I'd say we had invested wisely.
A lot will depend on how Garcia, Bedendo, Jones and Cleary develop.

Normally I'd agree with you... but looking at the above list there are a lot of later picks. With the reduction in the soft cap during Covid would we have had the capacity to give more speculative/later picks the attention and development focus they'd need to have a chance at becoming AFL quality players? Did we even have that capacity for the players we did draft?

mjp
04-12-2022, 06:19 PM
Nice post.

We've done well - no doubt helped by the access to Jamarra and Darcy. BUT - I am concerned at the amount of draft capital we have given up to get those two players and think there is a bit of a void in that u21 part of our list...basically we haven't brought in any players in 2020/2021, Butler already delisted from 2019 draft and Gardner a mature recruit in that same year (mid season).

I don't know. I just wish we had 2-3 more young runners on the list. Jones still seems 2 years away (we knew that when we picked him), Bedendo a pick 50 roll of the dice and this year when we had the chance to pick a runner we chose Clarke at 24...I don't mind it I guess but there were mids and running half-backs on the board...who takes Clarke if we didn't??

GVGjr
04-12-2022, 06:49 PM
Normally I'd agree with you... but looking at the above list there are a lot of later picks. With the reduction in the soft cap during Covid would we have had the capacity to give more speculative/later picks the attention and development focus they'd need to have a chance at becoming AFL quality players? Did we even have that capacity for the players we did draft?

This was the year we could have corrected that though and there were some good players taken after Gallagher and there is some good players that were overlooked. If we end up a top 5 side it becomes harder to say we haven't gotten it right but if we are just competitive we could have some pain in front of us.

hujsh
04-12-2022, 06:58 PM
This was the year we could have corrected that though and there were some good players taken after Gallagher and there is some good players that were overlooked. If we end up a top 5 side it becomes harder to say we haven't gotten it right but if we are just competitive we could have some pain in front of us.

100% agree with that. At least the players we did pick were all before pick 40 though

Go_Dogs
04-12-2022, 07:50 PM
I agree that we’ve drafted well in the first and second rounds, really over a number of years.

On the comment re more runners / early picks - well, I’m sure that’s what most clubs would say they wanted more of. It’s interesting in that our strength / area of most depth (midfield) is now perhaps the area we need to heavily invest in next draft. We’ve got some stars there, however we haven’t got any <20 game player who you just know is going to be a star. We also don’t have a huge amount of pace. Hopefully 2023 is the year we address this with a couple of first round selections giving us options.

F'scary
04-12-2022, 11:09 PM
I think Darcy is really a ruck recruit. Once he puts on a bit of weight, he's too tall to play any other position.

GVGjr
04-12-2022, 11:24 PM
I think Darcy is really a ruck recruit. Once he puts on a bit of weight, he's too tall to play any other position.

He is about the same size as Lobb so if Rory can play more as a forward, Darcy should be able to do something similar.

I'd hope we haven't used an early pick on a player that has never been a ruckman to play him as a ruckman. If he gets there then fine but lets not rush him.

Grantysghost
05-12-2022, 10:54 AM

Forward/Ruck definitely.

His nous around goal is pretty amazing for a guy his size. He could certainly play as the #1 ruck in time.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-12-2022, 11:37 AM
Nice post.

We've done well - no doubt helped by the access to Jamarra and Darcy. BUT - I am concerned at the amount of draft capital we have given up to get those two players and think there is a bit of a void in that u21 part of our list...basically we haven't brought in any players in 2020/2021, Butler already delisted from 2019 draft and Gardner a mature recruit in that same year (mid season).

I don't know. I just wish we had 2-3 more young runners on the list. Jones still seems 2 years away (we knew that when we picked him), Bedendo a pick 50 roll of the dice and this year when we had the chance to pick a runner we chose Clarke at 24...I don't mind it I guess but there were mids and running half-backs on the board...who takes Clarke if we didn't??

I think we're going about it the right way. Whilst I agree with the above, mids can impact games from 18-22 so if we draft x2 next year then I think that balances the list almost perfectly.

I would be more concerned if our 'gap' was KPPs, because they take much longer to develop, and are largely ineffective from 18-22.

Feels like we say it every year but next year's draft is important. The two first round picks need to be two good mids. I know some will throw up trade targets, but I think we badly need to hit the draft.

2023 should be 'fun' - if we suck, we get access to two early picks and should get two good players. If we contend, excellent. Perhaps we then package the two first rounders to move into the top 10.

Bulldog Joe
05-12-2022, 12:27 PM
I think we're going about it the right way. Whilst I agree with the above, mids can impact games from 18-22 so if we draft x2 next year then I think that balances the list almost perfectly.

I would be more concerned if our 'gap' was KPPs, because they take much longer to develop, and are largely ineffective from 18-22.

Feels like we say it every year but next year's draft is important. The two first round picks need to be two good mids. I know some will throw up trade targets, but I think we badly need to hit the draft.

2023 should be 'fun' - if we suck, we get access to two early picks and should get two good players. If we contend, excellent. Perhaps we then package the two first rounders to move into the top 10.

If we suck I will not be a pleasant chap and it definitely will not be fun.

EasternWest
05-12-2022, 01:15 PM
If we suck I will not be a pleasant chap.

So no difference:).

bornadog
05-12-2022, 01:21 PM

Next year with two first rounders we can achieve this.

Bulldog Joe
05-12-2022, 04:32 PM
So no difference:).

Well may you jest but the performance of the Bulldogs make a huge difference in my demeanour.

bulldogtragic
05-12-2022, 05:29 PM
Just based on the 2022 ladder as indicative, our natural 2023 picks are:

11, 15, 33, 65, 68, 72

Plus $1M++ in salary cap. Not just the $650,000 Dunkley didn’t accept, or even if we’re paying/saving $350,000 on Hunter going, but Keath, Crozier, Bruce & Hannan are unlike to either be on the list or paid the ‘overs’ of their current contract to get them from their old clubs. Plus delisting savings. While some extensions will draw extra out of the cap. But ‘banking‘ the 2023 $650,000 and rolling it forward with the temporary ongoing hole of $650,000 plus huge savings is a huge asset for Sam Power to go buy some talent. (Not counting if there’s trades out with salary savings either)

FA’s: McKay, Himmelberg, Menegoa, Parish, Fiorini, Gresham

Also, we asked of Brisbane players. We made it clear to them, we rated them and wanted them. Brisbane wouldn’t budge. If those guys for any reason want to move next year, they know they have a club that rates them. And will trade in good faith for them.

With the Dunkley compo being Pick 21, F1 & F2 (upgraded) and the huge salary cap space (likely banked), I think we need to look at the two years of list management together for comprehensive analysis.

Hypothetically, say next year we use three spots (a FA, a trade and a F1 pick) say we get a good free agent, a round one pick trade player and a round one draftee. Now let’s say we use the F2 pick at draft and dream big and think Croft is a later pick (or NGA) and the late points mop him up.

Of the main three AFEL quality players say two are first round quality mids and a first round quality KPD. Then we’ve stocked up the midfield with two very good mids (one fresh, one mature) a KPD to cover our aging KPD stocks, gone best available in Round 2 and in the Croft scenario picked up another KPP to develop.

Plus we can trade various 2024 ND Picks too if aggressiveness is the order of the day.

For ease of reading I’ll pick names: McKay/Himmelberg, Cam Rayner (inc. future pick added) & R1 draftee (or similar quality players)

Over two years that’s:

KPD: Jones, Busslinger, McKay/Himmelberg
Mids: Rayner, R1 Draftee
Flanks/wing: Baker, Gallagher, R2 (always need a flanker)
KPF: Lobb, Croft or like his dad go into defence
SF: Clarke

(1 x 2023 spot still open)

I have no doubt we can and will re-stock our mids and address other areas at the same time. We can put as many as THREE First Rounders on the draft/trade table (2 x 2023 plus F1 in 2024) in addition to Free Agency. With the cash to try to get good players out of their clubs. The test I think is a good-to-very good season where outside talent sees a premiership soon. We have the tools to succeed in 2023. This time next year, if we can use our picks and cash well we will be even stronger again.

The more I think on Dunkley, the more it feels like a Chris Judd kind of trade. Let Brisbane chase the flag with the new gun midfielder, but we’ve got Charlie Clarke, a F1 (say to pursue a good mid even attacking a future pick to it) and a F2 with $650,000 banked this year from Dunkley (plus say $350,000+ from Hunter) to roll over and the space ongoing after 2023 for reallocation. If we can execute the right trades/free agency (with cash) from the picks and cash left then our window looks better in the medium term, like WCE’s after Judd left.

Don’t lose any sleep, things look very good. Good mids and good players are coming in 10-12 months.

Edit: Hunter salary savings not added in which make the salary cap space huuuge. Even if we paid half for 2023.

On picks: Using both 2023 & 2024 First, then it’s something like a Taranto type mid gun (Brisbane 2023 First & F1), draft without first and buy the best Free Agent possible. Addressing midfield and a KPD ideally.

Still leaving the 2023 Second, 3 x Fourths, and 2024 F2, F3 & F4. So plenty of draft picks too.

Bulldog4life
05-12-2022, 05:41 PM
Nice post.

I read somewhere Collingwood were all over Clarke at their pick 19 I think but Allan fell into their lap.

Pedro Sanchez
05-12-2022, 08:22 PM
I read somewhere Collingwood were all over Clarke at their pick 19 I think but Allan fell into their lap.

Already with Clarke you get a gauge that he's a real character. Someone that if he's footy output can match it will become a super fan fav... Kinda similar to old boy Jakey Stringer... Just with a bit more luck he performs more regularly, holds a grab using his hands and doesn't create all the off field sheet.

Dogs 24/7
07-12-2022, 05:37 PM
All 4 players from the 2016 National Draft are still on senior lists. One has worked his way back on but 3 of them are playing for other sides.

English, Lipinski, Young and Greene.

Its a fair draft effort.

Go_Dogs
07-12-2022, 10:53 PM
All 4 players from the 2016 National Draft are still on senior lists. One has worked his way back on but 3 of them are playing for other sides.

English, Lipinski, Young and Greene.

Its a fair draft effort.

Good stat.