PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Kennel- Oskar Baker

Testekill
05-12-2022, 02:43 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1254865/

Oskar Baker will continue his AFL career in red, white and blue after signing as rookie for the upcoming 2023 season.

The 24-year-old officially put pen to paper on the opening day of the pre-season supplemental selection period, leaving one spot available on the Bulldogs’ playing list ahead of the new campaign.
Baker crosses to the Bulldogs after playing 15 games across five seasons for Melbourne, having been a part of the Casey Demons VFL flag this season.
The Queensland product will bring speed to the wing, and add further depth and versatility to the Dogs’ midfield.
Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power was pleased to welcome Baker to the Kennel.
“Oskar comes to us with really exciting attributes that complement the current make up of our midfield,” Power said.
“We felt it was important to add more speed to the group, particularly on the wing, and think Oskar will make an immediate impact.
“Oskar comes out of a successful program with five seasons of AFL experience and a fantastic work ethic. He is a great person that will be a welcome addition to our football program in the months to come.”

He's cheap and will probably only start off with a one year deal so minimal risk for maybe some reward.

G-Mo77
05-12-2022, 02:50 PM
Don't see anything worthwhile here, much like Tim O'Brien in the past. I personally would have preferred to take a pick in the ND or RD, Ithink we could have done better there. Hope I am so wrong but don't expect to be.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-12-2022, 02:52 PM
Don't see anything worthwhile here, much like Tim O'Brien in the past. I personally would have preferred to take a pick in the ND or RD, Ithink we could have done better there. Hope I am so wrong but don't expect to be.

Tend to agree.

Senior experience/depth is fine, but only if they can actually contribute.

He's played 15 games in FIVE years? Surely another pick in the draft would have been worthwhile.

I would have preferred Narkle if we wanted a discard.

Axe Man
05-12-2022, 02:55 PM
Baker is probably a low chance of being a success but with a contending list we need to strike a balance between development and having mature depth ready to be called upon during the year. Hopefully he goes well and provides a wing option for the team.

GVGjr
05-12-2022, 03:00 PM
We had flagged our intention to select him so fine but I wonder why we signed him now?
Why not wait to see if there are injuries we need to cover?

Happy Days
05-12-2022, 03:03 PM
Seems pointless and like a downgrade on Hunter but gotta sign someone I guess.

So we have one spot left now yes? Wonder if we can be bothered trying to develop someone or if we’re too scared they’ll end up bad.

Sedat
05-12-2022, 03:15 PM
Don't mind this. It's a moneyball play in a specific area of need. Baker's development has clearly stalled the last couple of years behind Ed Langdon, which is no disgrace - Langdon has probably been the best wingman in the competition in 2021-22.

bornadog
05-12-2022, 03:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjLmJJdVEAA8Zkp?format=jpg&name=medium

bulldogtragic
05-12-2022, 03:27 PM
Don't mind this. It's a moneyball play in a specific area of need. Baker's development has clearly stalled the last couple of years behind Ed Langdon, which is no disgrace - Langdon has probably been the best wingman in the competition in 2021-22.

Ditto. Not every signing is exciting and I’m not doing cartwheels. But we need some mature depth on the wing and the club thought from pre-ND he was the best option and convinced him to bypass the ND & RD. Assuming it’s a one year contract (being on the rookie list) it’s worth the move to grab him. I hope he goes well with more opportunity and a fresh start.

Grantysghost
05-12-2022, 03:31 PM

He's got a head straight from an 80s footy card.

24 going on 44.

chef
05-12-2022, 03:39 PM
He looks like a Prince Harry/Heath Shaw mash up.

Grantysghost
05-12-2022, 03:41 PM

Haha

Sedat
05-12-2022, 03:46 PM
One half inexhorably dull SIMP, one half mad as a cut snake but entertaining.

bornadog
05-12-2022, 04:11 PM
https://youtu.be/BNBD6H8N4XU?t=2

F'scary
05-12-2022, 04:19 PM
I think his nick name should be "Speedy"

GVGjr
05-12-2022, 04:21 PM
I think his nick name should be "Speedy"

Ox. B4Life should know why.

F'scary
05-12-2022, 04:25 PM

Ox would derive from his first name Oskar. But it doesn't sound pacy enough.

kruder
05-12-2022, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure anyone is saying Baker is a Hunter replacement but the idea of having a winger that could potentially play next year makes sense for mine. Actually a lot of the recruitment in the off season has made a lot of sense, not sure we have much to complain about.

What next? Treloar in the midfield rd1?:D

hujsh
05-12-2022, 04:57 PM
Two ways to look at those highlights.

1. He doesn't do a lot

2. He's a good tackler and can bring a defensive edge to our wing

Maybe both are true

EasternWest
05-12-2022, 04:59 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/HxHDqpNS/images-43.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Bit of mini Alex Keath for mine.

1eyedog
05-12-2022, 05:00 PM
Looks like we're keen to move the ball faster. Hunter out Baker in may help.

Happy Days
05-12-2022, 05:13 PM

The inventor of the heart punch?

GVGjr
05-12-2022, 05:14 PM

Yes.

Happy Days
05-12-2022, 05:14 PM
Yes.

Gotta be careful with that thing.

jazzadogs
05-12-2022, 05:21 PM
Two ways to look at those highlights.

1. He doesn't do a lot

2. He's a good tackler and can bring a defensive edge to our wing

Maybe both are true

It would have been nice to see some highlights where he tucks the ball under his arm and uses his pace, but there were some nice glimpses in there regardless.

Snap on the right foot, snap on the left foot, some big defensive tackles, receiving the ball out wide. I don't expect him to be all Australian but I'm sure he can contribute something.

Bulldog4life
05-12-2022, 05:31 PM

Thanks HD and G just logged on now and have been thinking about it. Was on the past player's route. Good pick up guys.

1eyedog
05-12-2022, 11:23 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/HxHDqpNS/images-43.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Bit of mini Alex Keath for mine.

In Teacher speak he is Geography to Keath's P E.

F'scary
06-12-2022, 08:57 AM

I am going to have to google this

F'scary
06-12-2022, 09:00 AM

...please explain

Grantysghost
06-12-2022, 09:37 AM
...please explain
Ox Baker was a wrestler in the 80s had the heart punch finisher.

Happy Days
06-12-2022, 09:46 AM
I am going to have to google this

Okay but make sure you do it in incognito mode and have access to a defibrillator.

F'scary
06-12-2022, 10:56 AM
Okay but make sure you do it in incognito mode and have access to a defibrillator.

now you have made me too scared to do it.

weltschmerz
06-12-2022, 05:26 PM
He's the one who falconed Jake Bowey and thus cursed Melbourne, I'll take that.

Testekill
08-12-2022, 04:28 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1256356/oskar-baker-so-grateful-to-the-club-?videoId=1256356&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1670457495001

He seems like a good egg.

GVGjr
08-12-2022, 04:33 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1256356/oskar-baker-so-grateful-to-the-club-?videoId=1256356&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1670457495001

He seems like a good egg.

I had a quick chat to him last night. After seeing him at training I think he might be able to add some value.

Axe Man
09-12-2022, 12:48 PM
HOW WINGMAN LANDED AT BULLDOGS AFTER “STRONGEST SEASON” WITH DEMONS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/12/08/how-wingman-landed-at-bulldogs-after-strongest-season-with-demons/)

Oskar Baker enjoyed the most consistent season of his career in 2022 but has still found himself at a new club.

The 24-year-old was delisted by Melbourne in October after five seasons and 15 senior games in the red and blue.

Less than two months later the Queenslander was picked up by the Western Bulldogs as a rookie for the 2023 season via the pre-season supplemental period.

Baker, who played in the VFL premiership with the Casey Demons this season, admits there were “mixed emotions” in leaving the Dees but is keen to get started with the Bulldogs after his “strongest season” as a senior footballer.

“It was a bit of a mixed year,” Baker admitted on SEN Mornings.

“Obviously very frustrating not to have played AFL, but in saying that, I was pretty happy with how I played.

“It was probably the strongest season and most consistent season I’ve put together in the five years I was at Melbourne, which is pretty funny because obviously I didn’t play AFL.

“I got great enjoyment out of it as well because of how well we did with Casey in winning the premiership. It was a bit of a mixed emotions year but I learnt from that and I think that’s going to hold me in good stead for next year.”

Baker explained how the move came about with his lack of AFL game time with the Demons allowing him to see the writing on the wall doubled with serious interest from the Dogs.

He expects to be deployed on a wing after talks with head coach Luke Beveridge and list manager Sam Power, potentially filling the void left by premiership player Lachie Hunter who coincidentally joined the Dees in the trade period.

“There was a bit of interest there from about halfway through the year, those conversations got a bit deeper and I was lucky enough to end up here,” he added.

“When I was talking to Luke Beveridge and Sam Power in the meetings I had with them, they said there is an opportunity for me there on the wing and that really appealed to me.

“It’s funny how it’s all worked out really.

“Hopefully with things going well I might be able to line up on Lachie in Round 1 when we play the Dees. That would be pretty funny, but something I’m definitely striving for over the break.”

If Baker does happen to force his way into the Bulldogs lineup for the Round 1 clash with the Demons, he would love nothing more than to take on an old sparring partner.

“I’d love to run alongside Ed Langdon,” he said further.

“I didn’t get to play that much AFL footy with Ed, we only had a couple of games together, but I used to play on him a fair bit at training. We used to have a bit of banter and whatnot on the field, so I thoroughly would enjoy that.

“Fingers crossed it can happen.”

The speedy wingman loved his time at Melbourne and will be forever grateful for the opportunity the club gave him.

However, he is excited about a fresh start at the Whitten Oval where he is intent on making a significant contribution at senior level in the red, white and blue despite his rookie status.

“I’ll be forever grateful to Melbourne for giving me the opportunity to live out my dream and play AFL footy,” he added.

“It was never my intention to get delisted but I think it definitely was for the best. I definitely needed a fresh start to go on a new journey and I’m absolutely rapt to have landed at the Dogs.

“I think I’m really ready to go now. Going into my sixth year of AFL footy I really want to play consistent AFL footy, I don’t want to be playing VFL anymore.

“My body is in a really good position and my form over the past couple of years is in a really good spot now. I think I’ve got a lot to deliver at AFL level.

“I’m over the moon and couldn’t be happier.”

hujsh
09-12-2022, 12:55 PM
If all goes well this can be our version of Lipinski for Treloar and we can say how Oscar is actually better than Hunter

GVGjr
09-12-2022, 01:01 PM
I watched him at training and so far his kicking skills are standing up. I'm more optimistic on what he might be able to add for our playing list

bulldogtragic
09-12-2022, 01:27 PM
So we were into him 6 months ago (as a potential trade) and got him for free as a rookie in the SSP… that worked out well then!

BornInDroopSt'54
09-12-2022, 01:36 PM
I see viking.
A rhyming name remarkable for the k without a c.
Welcome viking legend.

Eastdog
23-12-2022, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Oskar.

Hope he becomes a solid contributor to our team.

jazzadogs
31-03-2023, 01:45 AM
Oskar has offered a real point of difference to our wing role. More physical, more penetration on his kicks, and more intent to move the ball forward than previous wingers. He has steadily improved week on week, and if he keeps up this form will be in the best 22 all year and for a few years to come.

angelopetraglia
31-03-2023, 01:47 AM
Oskar has offered a real point of difference to our wing role. More physical, more penetration on his kicks, and more intent to move the ball forward than previous wingers. He has steadily improved week on week, and if he keeps up this form will be in the best 22 all year and for a few years to come.

Agree. In our best tonight. Superb performance and selling that candy for the goal was a special moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2023, 01:51 AM
Impressive performance.

Ran hard and held his width which is important as a winger. Seemed to have quite a few I50s, great penetration in his kicking, and used it well. A couple of strong tackles and a great finish.

More please, he was very damaging tonight.

Vred
31-03-2023, 02:12 AM
Very welcomed addition to the team, love the energy, great fwd 50 entries and is running hard both ways. Great pick up for nothing

MrMahatma
31-03-2023, 02:18 AM
Some doubted his foot skills and he giggled at them.

Good match. More to come. Bake on baker.

bornadog
31-03-2023, 10:04 AM
Good game and a pleasant surprise that he can actually play. Has some aggression as well.

Bulldog4life
01-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Full marks to our recruiters for signing up Baker. A great addition.Good kick for goal too. Making the wing position his own.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 12:19 PM
I thought Baker was terrific last night linking the back and forwards. Had 7 marks and 20 disposals and used his pace well down the wing.

bulldogtragic
09-04-2023, 01:21 PM
Any time you pick up a delisted free agent and they play the first four weeks and average nearly 16 touches, 6 marks, 4 I50s and a goal a game (& .5 GA) you’d be more than happy. Add 388 metres averaged a game on the wing and even more so.

In the big wash to/with Melbourne, we put in Hunter, F3 (Bris), Schache and come out with a F2 (Bris), F4 & Baker (plus huge salary saving). If Baker can really take his opportunity from here out, this could be a far stronger win-win outcome than what it could have been looking at it last year.

macca
09-04-2023, 02:27 PM
His played 4 more games than Schache this year. Baker has been a good return . The fact that Melb are playing VanHoen means Schache is there for insurance

The club made the right call to move Schache on last yeat I feel we may have kept him 1 year too long , and should have kept Young instead who now lools to be permenant in the Carlton backline .

jeemak
09-04-2023, 09:46 PM
His played 4 more games than Schache this year. Baker has been a good return . The fact that Melb are playing VanHoen means Schache is there for insurance

The club made the right call to move Schache on last yeat I feel we may have kept him 1 year too long , and should have kept Young instead who now lools to be permenant in the Carlton backline .

I'm sure Schache's doing everything right and he's just being marginalised and treated unfairly.

EasternWest
09-04-2023, 09:58 PM
I'm sure Schache's doing everything right and he's just being marginalised and treated unfairly.
https://i.postimg.cc/cJBmMCFz/asian-baby-finger.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Danjul
09-04-2023, 10:21 PM
A low blow.Schache has had concussion.

EasternWest
09-04-2023, 10:55 PM

His entire career?

jazzadogs
09-04-2023, 11:25 PM

He was also no chance of getting picked regardless of his concussion. Brown, McDonald, van Rooyen all ahead of him. Weideman played 10 games for the Dees last year and I doubt Shack even gets to that many.

ledge
10-04-2023, 12:10 AM
Why are we comparing Shache and baker?
A better comparison would be Hunter and Baker and I would say they have both been good.
Lobb and Scache would be a better comparison in which Lobb might not have lived up to expectations yet but at least he is showing something and last night he was a lot better.

hujsh
10-04-2023, 01:47 AM
His entire career?

I think Schache just retired once you finished typing that.

jeemak
10-04-2023, 02:22 AM

I feel sorry for him if he does, and was only being silly with my post with no offence intended.

Danjul
10-04-2023, 09:52 AM
I feel sorry for him if he does, and was only being silly with my post with no offence intended.
I did think that was the case.

Apparently he was concussed a couple of weeks ago and resumed in the vfl on the weekend. one of their better players so hopefully he is OK. Wish the same for Keath, it?s a risky game.

Danjul
10-04-2023, 10:10 AM
Why are we comparing Shache and baker?
A better comparison would be Hunter and Baker and I would say they have both been good.
Lobb and Scache would be a better comparison in which Lobb might not have lived up to expectations yet but at least he is showing something and last night he was a lot better.

Yes, that?s a better comparison.

Lobb is starting to gel with the rest of the team and knows he will get selected, so he can focus on the ball instead of looking over his shoulder for criticism. He will get every opportunity to be a focal point in a very successful team.

He is responding to the faith shown in him (after averaging 1 possession every 17 minutes in the first two games- and half a hitout) by having an ordinary game.

Schache was dropped after 12 possessions and 2 goals against Adelaide last year, but Lobb is a superstar after 10 possessions and 1 goal this year. That?s a fair comparison.

Danjul
10-04-2023, 10:16 AM
He was also no chance of getting picked regardless of his concussion. Brown, McDonald, van Rooyen all ahead of him. Weideman played 10 games for the Dees last year and I doubt Shack even gets to that many.
I can?t understand why Melbourne wanted him. Seems to be the last person they needed. Like you, I do not see him getting a game.

I thought Collingwood was the only team that could use him and they weren?t interested.

DOG GOD
10-04-2023, 10:41 AM
I can?t understand why Melbourne wanted him. Seems to be the last person they needed. Like you, I do not see him getting a game.

I thought Collingwood was the only team that could use him and they weren?t interested.

I thought Saints might’ve been interested but went the Cordy route instead.

Danjul
10-04-2023, 10:55 AM
I thought Saints might?ve been interested but went the Cordy route instead.
Cordy seems to have fitted in well at his new club. Played well against us. I hope he enjoys his footy there. He certainly was valiant for us. I can still remember when our backline was Cordy and a few assistants.

Happy Days
10-04-2023, 12:56 PM

I guess that he isn’t as far behind McDonald and Brown as he was Naughton, Lobb and Jamarra?

It wasn’t a horrible read to look at their key forwards and think Schache could be a better player. Van Rooyen coming on wouldn’t have helped him as well.

azabob
10-04-2023, 03:53 PM
For a guy who was in the system for five years and only fifteen games prior Baker certainly backs himself in with his pace and disposal.

Clearly a case of being at the wrong club at the wrong time.

So far has been a solid pickup.

DOG GOD
10-04-2023, 04:54 PM
The thing I like about Baker is that when he gets the ball he looks fwd in a positive way. No grab the ball, turn a few circles, handball it backs like Hunter was prone to. He looks like he wants it. Wants to succeed. I hope he does well this year and beyond.

ratsmac
10-04-2023, 05:24 PM
After the round 1 game against Melbourne I wasn't overly impressed with Baker. He seemed a bit of a panic merchant. But thinking back he had about 21 team mates doing the same. After that he has settled in really good the role on the wing. Good pace, hard at the ball and a pretty neat kick. He hopefully keeps improving.

Losing Hunter was leaving a bit of a hole on a wing, even though Hunter would frustrate the crap out of me a times, but one thing he always excelled at was work rate helping out in defense and always seemed to find space for a get out of trouble kick. Oscar has so far been good enough to not miss Hunter so far.

Hotdog60
10-04-2023, 06:13 PM
He has a bit of Phil Maylin look about him :)

https://www.blueseum.org/show_image.php?id=38349https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Players/ChampIDImages/AFL/2023014/1008855.png?im=Scale,width=0.6,height=0.6

azabob
10-04-2023, 06:16 PM
The thing I like about Baker is that when he gets the ball he looks fwd in a positive way. No grab the ball, turn a few circles, handball it backs like Hunter was prone to. He looks like he wants it. Wants to succeed. I hope he does well this year and beyond.

Yep. Very Melbourne like. We need more of it.

MrMahatma
10-04-2023, 10:18 PM

Very good call.

I’m enjoying his work and reckon he’ll continue to improve with confidence.

He’s a master, this Baker.

Danjul
10-04-2023, 11:29 PM
Good observation.

ratsmac
11-04-2023, 02:01 AM

What a horrible thing to say, but it's true. I just hate Melbourne that much

DISHLICKERS
11-04-2023, 03:02 PM
Oscar has surprised me. So far so good seems to have an urgency in everything he does in a game.

bornadog
11-04-2023, 04:23 PM
From the Interview with Oscar

HOW BEVERIDGE GAVE DELISTED DOGS RECRUIT THE CONFIDENCE HE BELONGS AT AFL LEVEL

BY LACHLAN GELEIT A DAY AGO

https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/2Ethr4je6qRFUrLaeM69gN/0e7d24d2189fe20762753d682996cdf9/02WBSt23DB1815.jpg?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

Western Bulldogs recruit Oskar Baker is loving his start to life at the Whitten Oval.
After being delisted by Melbourne at the end of 2022, Baker was offered a lifeline by the Dogs as a Pre-Season Supplemental Selection and he?s already begun repaying the club?s faith.

So far, Baker has played every game in 2023 for his new club, for two wins and two losses, averaging almost a goal a game to go along with a solid 16 disposals per outing on the wing.

Now that he?s starting to cement his spot, Baker says he feels like he?s getting more confident by the week as his performances begin to track in the right direction.

?I?ve absolutely loved my time so far at the Dogs,? Baker told SEN Crunch Time.
?I feel like I?ve fit in really well, the fresh start has done wonders for me.

?With the way I?ve started the year, I?m just getting more confidence week-in, week-out.
?I?m just really trying to cement my spot in the team and contribute every week.

?I?m loving every minute of it, hopefully, I can continue to grow and become the player I want to and I think I?m capable of.?

While Baker is coming off a year where he failed to break through for a senior game with Melbourne, the 24-year-old believes it was his best year in the system.

He reflected on the importance of playing a strong game in Casey?s VFL Grand Final win over Southport, an outing that proved he was capable of playing above the state-league level.
?Looking back on it, I think it (the VFL Grand Final) was pretty important,? Baker said.

?But not just that game, looking back on it now as weird as it is because I didn?t play an AFL game last year, I almost found it my strongest AFL season to date.

?I thought my form was really consistent and that was going to hold me in really good stead if I had another opportunity to perform again this year.
?I think that?s really set me up with the way I?ve started this year and play my footy.

?But yeah, I do think that Grand Final performance last year nailed me to get another opportunity with the Dogs.?
With his time at Melbourne seemingly coming to an end following 15 games for the club midway through last season,

Baker spoke about how he ended up a Bulldog and his relationship with new coach Luke Beveridge.
?I found out through my manager there was a bit of interest from the Dogs midway through last year,? Baker said.
?Then as the season went on and I got delisted by Melbourne, those conversations continued to grow.

?I caught up with Luke Beveridge and Sam Power in the off-season and those conversations got deeper.
?Lucky enough I was able to make my way to the club ? from day one I?ve walked in Bevo has really backed me in.

?He?s encouraged me to use my strengths, my run and carry and speed with the ball to try and create offence for us.
?He?s filled me with confidence to get out there, play to my strengths and give me the belief that I do belong and that I can be a real role player for our team.?

After starting the season 0-2, the Bulldogs go in search of their third-straight win when they face Port Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

hujsh
11-04-2023, 04:36 PM
He's slotting in nicely. More touches each week, impacting the game. May the trend continue

FrediKanoute
11-04-2023, 10:40 PM
I like him. Was a bit sceptical, but can now see the value he brings. An upgrade on Rourke Smith

macca
11-04-2023, 10:56 PM
Baker , fantastic moneyball pick ,
Credit to the recruting team for trawling through otber clubs list

He was behind Langdon ( very under rated ) , Bowey and Sparrow

Can we find someone like this in the vfl ?

Mitcha
15-04-2023, 11:43 AM
Has been surprisingly good thus far, Wasn't expecting a lot but has more than justified his place. Has some nice speed and gives us some much needed outside run. Looks to have fully bought in to the club and shows some real spirit and passion for our jumper.

angelopetraglia
11-07-2023, 03:24 PM
Two year extension for Oskar.

Bullies
11-07-2023, 09:11 PM
Two year extension for Oskar. One would have been sufficient. Not sure many clubs would be chasing him.

FrediKanoute
11-07-2023, 11:21 PM
Reckon it spells the end for Rourke Smith

Mofra
12-07-2023, 08:39 AM
Reckon it spells the end for Rourke Smith
Sadly, yes. Given we signed Baker and Poulter and Poulter will surely get a contract too based on last week's performance. He shows there's something there to work with,