PDA

View Full Version : Injury List 2023

Pages : [1] 2

bornadog
08-12-2022, 09:41 AM
Please Pin

Thanks to Testekill for the update and kicking off the thread for next season

Some minor injuries and surgery news

*Adam Treloar had ankle surgery and is training away from the group with Chris Bell but is expected to come back for the new year.

* Sam Darcy is on a light program after suffering an infection in a knee due to an ingrown hair but is expected back before the Christmas break.

* Toby McLean had surgery on a hand after injuring it during training and is expected back when training returns after Christmas. He's currently training away from the group after crushing the endurace test.

* Rhylee West is nursing knee soreness and is projected to return to training next month.

bulldogtragic
08-12-2022, 09:50 AM
Busslinger meant to be back to full training by mid-late January after his shoulder surgery this year.

GVGjr
08-12-2022, 09:52 AM
Busslinger meant to be back to full training by mid-late January after his shoulder surgery this year.

Yes, he is a fair way off the mark.

Testekill
08-12-2022, 09:59 AM
Yes, he is a fair way off the mark.

We're not seeing him this year in the AFL unless a) he's in incredible form in the VFL or b) our injury list is dire.

GVGjr
08-12-2022, 10:12 AM
We're not seeing him this year in the AFL unless a) he's in incredible form in the VFL or b) our injury list is dire.

He is a mile off with his running at the moment. Definitely a longer term prospect.

1eyedog
13-12-2022, 05:38 PM

He's all of 65 kg as well he's definitely a long-term prospect.

bornadog
28-01-2023, 12:23 AM
* Treloar still dogged by ankle injury. Back running but complaining of soreness

* Alex Keath (ankle),

* Caleb Daniel (back spasm)

* Hayden Crozier (ankle)

* Bailey Smith General Soreness

bornadog
04-02-2023, 12:12 PM
Western Bulldogs (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/state-of-play-your-club-s-pre-season-injuries-20230126-p5cfo5.html)

The club’s main concern for round one is midfielder Adam Treloar who has experienced pain in his operated ankle each time he attempts to increase his training volume. He has moved into more skill drills but needs things to go his way to start the season.

Tim English felt a tight adductor late in last week’s match simulation and was restricted to running laps this week. Bailey Smith (soreness) is back in full training. Caleb Daniel (back) and Ryan Gardner (elbow) and Alex Keath (ankle) have only minor issues.

Grantysghost
04-02-2023, 12:49 PM
Western Bulldogs (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/state-of-play-your-club-s-pre-season-injuries-20230126-p5cfo5.html)

The club’s main concern for round one is midfielder Adam Treloar who has experienced pain in his operated ankle each time he attempts to increase his training volume. He has moved into more skill drills but needs things to go his way to start the season.

Tim English felt a tight adductor late in last week’s match simulation and was restricted to running laps this week. Bailey Smith (soreness) is back in full training. Caleb Daniel (back) and Ryan Gardner (elbow) and Alex Keath (ankle) have only minor issues.

Real worry Treloar.

bornadog
04-02-2023, 01:17 PM
Real worry Treloar.

Sounds like he needs time to get over it.

EasternWest
04-02-2023, 02:57 PM
Sounds like he needs time to get over it.

Dosh Junkley breakup? They can be difficult.

azabob
05-02-2023, 01:14 PM
Real worry Treloar.

You just don’t like him.

1eyedog
07-02-2023, 09:22 AM
He's a slow healer it's a worry I can see this stretching on, something isn't right. I guess if he does progress well he has a strong fitness base so should be able get up to speed quickly.

Grantysghost
07-02-2023, 09:39 AM
You just don’t like him.

There are other players I like more this is true.

I don't dislike him, however a guy with his talent should be pushing for All Australian more often than he is. He gets paid in the elite bracket (not his fault) so I expect elite output.

He's been very good for us so no complaints, just not sure if he's completely bought in to the club. All pure speculation and personal opinion/discussion starter.

MrMahatma
07-02-2023, 06:33 PM

I don't dislike him, however a guy with his talent should be pushing for All Australian more often than he is. He gets paid in the elite bracket (not his fault) so I expect elite output.

He's been very good for us so no complaints, just not sure if he's completely bought in to the club. All pure speculation and personal opinion/discussion starter.

Paid in the elite? Isn't he like, $600k per year but on more currently due to back ending?

1eyedog
07-02-2023, 08:18 PM

I don't care if he's not a natural Bulldog-type or hasn't fully embraced the club. He's a professional like him or not. When on the park he's been one of our better player across the past two years and I have zero beef with him.

I think he'll be important this year and he'll come more into focus due to the vacuum created by Hunter and Dosh. It's kinda his time to shine.

Jasper
07-02-2023, 08:58 PM

I know you have acknowledged his elite level pay isnt his fault so I dont see this as an issue. We should only judge him on what we are paying for him and I think he breaks even there. You have previously made some comments about his buy in to the Dogs and is that based on his social media activity or the departure of Dunkley or something else? If its social media activity is it a fair to assess a player that way?

Jasper
07-02-2023, 09:07 PM
I don't care if he's not a natural Bulldog-type or hasn't fully embraced the club. He's a professional like him or not. When on the park he's been one of our better player across the past two years and I have zero beef with him.

I think he'll be important this year and he'll come more into focus due to the vacuum created by Hunter and Dosh. It's kinda his time to shine.

Same here but I suspect that face he is getting questioned more because he was buddies with Darth Vader Dunkley.
It doesnt matter in the slightest because he is a professional.

bornadog
07-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Same here but I suspect that face he is getting question more because he was buddies with Darth Vader Dunkley.
It doesnt matter in the slightest because he is a professional.

I know what GG means about buy in to the club.

This is just perception:

* He seemed like he latched on to Dunks and no one else
* He kept talking about his old team mates and Collingwood throughout his first year, and still does sometimes.
* When he stops playing, I wonder what team he will align himself. 4 years at GWS, 5 at Pies and 5 with us,

Despite all that, I like Adz, and prefer him playing in the midfield and not a wing. He did well to fill in last year in the backline when we had injuries, but his bets footy is played in the middle.

Grantysghost
07-02-2023, 09:24 PM
I know you have acknowledged his elite level pay isnt his fault so I dont see this as an issue. We should only judge him on what we are paying for him and I think he breaks even there. You have previously made some comments about his buy in to the Dogs and is that based on his social media activity or the departure of Dunkley or something else? If its social media activity is it a fair to assess a player that way?

Fair call Jasper. No I don't think that's a fair way to assess a player agree there.
I like Treloar don't get me wrong, he's been a very good player for us.
BAD's post sort of covers some of what the sentiment from me is.
I guess I'll have to get used to the fact for some players it's a job and that's OK.

My interactions with him have always been good ones.

I hope he can push for an All Australian squad spot this season, the death of the bromance has me concerned though.

Jasper
07-02-2023, 09:28 PM

This is just perception:

* He kept talking about his old team mates and Collingwood throughout his first year.
* When he stops playing, I wonder what team he will align himself. 4 years at GWS, 5 at Pies and 5 with us, and still does sometimes.

Despite all that, I like Adz, and prefer him playing in the midfield and not a wing. He did well to fill in last year in the backline when we had injuries, but his bets footy is played in the middle.

Perceptions about what players do on their social media or who they are friends with or for that matter if they carry a bit of weight is not how we should judge players because its not relevant and highly speculative. I dont give a hoot if Treloar wants to be a Pie follower after his time with us is over and Ill judge him on how he plays and trains.

1eyedog
07-02-2023, 10:02 PM

This is just perception:

* He kept talking about his old team mates and Collingwood throughout his first year.
* When he stops playing, I wonder what team he will align himself. 4 years at GWS, 5 at Pies and 5 with us, and still does sometimes.

Hopefully he helps us win a flag and that will be all she wrote.

Grantysghost
07-02-2023, 10:28 PM
Hopefully he helps us win a flag and that will be all she wrote.

That's it exactly, if he's pushing for AA then we are going to be right up there.

1eyedog
07-02-2023, 10:35 PM
That's it exactly, if he's pushing for AA then we are going to be right up there.

If we get the rub of the green and our young players live up to their potential, our vets stay on the park and Bont goes through injury free, we should as members expect to finish in the top half of the 8. I know the comp is incredibly even but the talent on the list is undeniable.

Easier said than done though.

bornadog
07-02-2023, 10:39 PM
Perceptions about what players do on their social media or who they are friends with or for that matter if they carry a bit of weight is not how we should judge players because its not relevant and highly speculative. I dont give a hoot if Treloar wants to be a Pie follower after his time with us is over and Ill judge him on how he plays and trains.

Football is a team sport and you have to have mates, at the club and buy into the club, otherwise you won't achieve your best for the team.

Adz has been terrific for us, but like GG I worry with the bromance broken what happens this year.

Bulldog Joe
07-02-2023, 10:49 PM
If we get the rub of the green and our young players live up to their potential, our vets stay on the park and Bont goes through injury free, we should as members expect to finish in the top half of the 8. I know the comp is incredibly even but the talent on the list is undeniable.

Easier said than done though.

If we get all you are asking for top 4 is not enough.

Jasper
07-02-2023, 11:07 PM
Football is a team sport and you have to have mates, at the club and buy into the club, otherwise you won't achieve your best for the team.

Adz has been terrific for us, but like GG I worry with the bromance broken what happens this year.

Ive got the feeling you are conjuring up something that isnt there and there is nothing factual about this speculation.
Im done with this.

bornadog
07-02-2023, 11:54 PM
Ive got the feeling you are conjuring up something that isnt there and there is nothing factual about this speculation.
Im done with this.

Not conjuring up anything, just worried that's all.

Dogs 24/7
08-02-2023, 08:38 AM
Not conjuring up anything, just worried that's all.

Did you say you were worried when we traded for him and his wife and daughter were in queensland? Are people feigning concern or worry to justify an active imagination? Nothing I have read on the preseason reports has me concerned about his professional standards.

Grantysghost
08-02-2023, 09:35 AM
Did you say you were worried when we traded for him and his wife and daughter were in queensland? Are people feigning concern or worry to justify an active imagination? Nothing I have read on the preseason reports has me concerned about his professional standards.

I'm with you I've changed sides.

BAD what are you on about?

bornadog
08-02-2023, 10:00 AM

Thanks GG after all I have done for you

Axe Man
08-02-2023, 10:12 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/c4vfxQDc/homer.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Grantysghost
08-02-2023, 10:25 AM
Thanks GG after all I have done for you

Gold.

When I first started in the public service many many many moons ago, a wise man said to me remember this phrase : A strong opinion loosely held.

It's a great way to generate discussion / disrupt etc without making it a part of your soul.

Of course there are core principals that we all have like leave Adz alone, otherwise it's an interesting mindset. (I don't completely subscribe to it personally)

1eyedog
08-02-2023, 10:48 AM
If we get all you are asking for top 4 is not enough.

I'd be happy with 7th and a flag.

bornadog
08-02-2023, 11:17 AM
Gold.

When I first started in the public service many many many moons ago, a wise man said to me remember this phrase : A strong opinion loosely held.

It's a great way to generate discussion / disrupt etc without making it a part of your soul.

Of course there are core principals that we all have like leave Adz alone, otherwise it's an interesting mindset. (I don't completely subscribe to it personally)

All in good fun.

Mantis
24-02-2023, 02:33 PM
Report on AFL.com states that VDM has a leg fracture (hairline fracture of his fibula) and will miss up to 2 months.

F'scary
24-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Report on AFL.com states that VDM has a leg fracture (hairline fracture of his fibula) and will miss up to 2 months.

Nay, 'tis but a flesh wound.

GVGjr
24-02-2023, 02:41 PM

That's a shame he was grimacing at times when he was running on Wednesday

bornadog
24-02-2023, 02:46 PM
That's a shame he was grimacing at times when he was running on Wednesday

Weightman also recovering from adductor and won't play this weekend

Dazza
24-02-2023, 02:59 PM
Sucks about Laith. Hopefully he can return to senior footy this year

bornadog
24-02-2023, 03:56 PM
JJ won't play tomorrow either

GVGjr
28-02-2023, 04:05 PM
Off Twitter
·
42m
Ryan Gardner will miss the start of the AFL season after suffering an elbow injury.

bornadog
28-02-2023, 04:22 PM
Off Twitter
·
42m
Ryan Gardner will miss the start of the AFL season after suffering an elbow injury.

from Club Website

Bulldogs defender Ryan Gardner will miss the start of the AFL season after suffering an elbow injury.

“Ryan sustained a small crack to one of the bones in his elbow and we’ve decided that the best course of action to fix the injury is to undergo minor surgery,” Head of Sports Medicine Chris Bell said.

“This operation will repair the area of bone damage and be completed this afternoon.”

The Club will monitor Gardiner over the next 2-3 weeks to determine his exact return to play plan.

Even the club can't get it right :D

dog town
28-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Why did he go back on Saturday? Acknowledge it was an injury he was already battling and wanted to work through it but it would seem there wasn’t much to gain.

On review he struggled a bit as the game wore on so maybe he has just decided he can’t get through the season without getting it fixed.

GVGjr
28-02-2023, 04:46 PM
Why did he go back on Saturday? Acknowledge it was an injury he was already battling and wanted to work through it but it would seem there wasn’t much to gain.

On review he struggled a bit as the game wore on so maybe he has just decided he can’t get through the season without getting it fixed.

You would have to think we've read it wrong but perhaps going back on wasn't the issue anyway.

dog town
28-02-2023, 04:48 PM
You would have to think we've read it wrong but perhaps going back on wasn't the issue anyway.

Nah he has been carrying it for a while so I don’t think it’s made it worse. Just as a general principal in a scratch match I would have thought he stays off until he is assessed.

bornadog
28-02-2023, 04:49 PM
Nah he has been carrying it for a while so I don’t think it’s made it worse. Just as a general principal in a scratch match I would have thought he stays off until he is assessed.

Wasn't it assessed at half time?

dog town
28-02-2023, 04:51 PM
Wasn't it assessed at half time?

Pretty limited with your assessment at the ground. Just think it should be a risk free approach when there isn’t points on the line.

bornadog
28-02-2023, 05:06 PM
Pretty limited with your assessment at the ground. Just think it should be a risk free approach when there isn’t points on the line.

Yes, agree. Often the player wants to keep going.

Axe Man
01-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Dogs forward overcomes niggle, first-round pick back to full fitness (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1276754/dogs-forward-overcomes-niggle-first-round-pick-back-to-full-fitness)

Western Bulldogs young gun Cody Weightman is on track for round one after overcoming a late niggle in the pre-season, while first-round pick Jedd Busslinger is back to full fitness following a shoulder reconstruction last year.

Weightman didn't feature in the club's intraclub at Mars Stadium in Ballarat on Saturday due to a recent adductor strain he suffered at training.

But after completing Wednesday's main training session at Skinner Reserve, the 22-year-old is likely to bank some minutes in Saturday's practice match against North Melbourne ahead of the Bulldogs' season-opener against Melbourne on March 18.

Jason Johannisen also completed training to put himself in contention to face the Kangaroos at Ikon Park this weekend, after overcoming a calf issue in recent weeks.

After arriving at the Whitten Oval via pick No.13 in last November's NAB AFL Draft, Busslinger has gradually built his workload across the summer, with the Dogs' high performance team taking a slow and steady approach with the 196cm key defender.

Busslinger hasn't played since his final season of underage football was ended prematurely when he required surgery last July.

The 18-year-old was still named in the All-Australian side despite missing the final two games of the national championships.

But after passing another hurdle on Wednesday, the West Australian is set to build his training load over the next month and be ready to play in the VFL inside the first few rounds of the season.

Wingman Roarke Smith is set to miss the start of the season due to a plantar fascia issue, increasing the chances of delisted free agent Oskar Baker facing his old side in round one following an impressive summer.

Ryan Gardner will miss the opening round after undergoing surgery on Tuesday to repair a crack in one of the bones in his elbow.

The 25-year-old has dealt with an elbow issue across the pre-season but aggravated the injury in a contest in the Bulldogs' intraclub.

With Josh Bruce and Alex Keath fighting for a spot down back alongside free agency signing Liam Jones and young gun Sam Darcy – if he remains in defence – the injury to Gardner can be covered by the increased level of key-post depth at the kennel.

bornadog
04-03-2023, 05:32 PM
A couple of injuries today:

Doc Duryea in neck brace

Richards - Corky

Crozier - dislocated finger

Scott - could be a corky not confirmed as it happened at end of play

bornadog
04-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Good News:

Taylor Duryea and Hayden Crozier were injured in the Bulldogs’ practice match win over North Melbourne but have been cleared of serious injury

bulldogfan
04-03-2023, 08:26 PM
And Ed is fine also .😁

The Bulldogs Bite
04-03-2023, 10:50 PM
Great news.

Eastdog
04-03-2023, 10:51 PM
Great to hear.

Scraggers
04-03-2023, 11:00 PM
So who is unavailable round 1?

I’m pretty happy with the general level of fitness for the whole group. We seem to have more to choose from this beginning of season compared to the last few seasons.

1eyedog
05-03-2023, 05:09 PM
It looks like Gardner (elbow) and JJ (match fitness) might be the only two best 22 players not available for Round 1. Is there anyone else? Cody's ommission looked like a precaution?

TOB, VDM and Roarke the other injuries that are outside best 22.

Wouldn't be surprised to see JJ line up for round 1 though.

azabob
05-03-2023, 05:12 PM
It looks like Gardner (elbow) and JJ (match fitness) might be the only two best 22 players not available for Round 1. Is there anyone else? Cody's ommission looked like a precaution?

TOB, VDM and Roarke the other injuries that are outside best 22.

Wouldn't be surprised to see JJ line up for round 1 though.

Agree.
JJ seems to be best 22 when fit. If he can get his match fitness up I expect him to play.

bornadog
08-03-2023, 12:51 PM
“I’M NOT A LOCK”: BULLDOGS FORWARD OFFERS INJURY UPDATE AHEAD OF ROUND 1 (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/07/im-not-a-lock-bulldogs-forward-offers-injury-update-ahead-of-round-1/)

Western Bulldogs forward Cody Weightman is no certainty for Round 1 after suffering an adductor strain this summer.

While reports had Weightman in line for a return after completing a main training session last week, the small forward didn’t play in the club’s practice match win over North Melbourne.

Weightman says he hopes his adductor comes good before Round 1 to give himself the chance to be picked for the club’s season-opener against Melbourne.

“It looked like the boys gelled together really nicely (against North Melbourne) and the forwards filled their boots a bit, which is nice preparation going into the clash against the Dees,” Weightman told SEN Sportsday.

“I’m excited about (that game against Melbourne) even though I’m not a lock to be playing in it, I’m still looking forward to it.
“The adductor is coming along well, I think I’m starting to get on top of it which is good.

“They can be tricky these types of niggles, there’s no particular deadline like a broken arm where you know it’ll be healed at a certain time.

“I’m just being patient and letting it heal to come good when it feels like it.

“Hopefully that’s prior to Round 1 and I can be out there.”

While from the outside looking in a fit Weightman appears to be a walk-up starter for coach Luke Beveridge, the 22-year-old doesn’t share that mindset.

The energetic goalsneak says he doesn’t want complacency to creep in by believing a spot has his name on it as he feels that gives him an edge to compete hard each and every game.

“I’ve always tried to hold onto that mindset, even when I was pretty confident that my spot was going to be sustained throughout last year and a bit the year before,” Weightman said.

“I think going into games feeling like you have to play for your spot and you have to maintain that you’ve earned that.

“If you get complacent you get found out pretty quickly in the AFL, so going in with an edge and feeling like your spot is never secured and always earned is important for me.

“I think when we review my game that sort of comes out in my edits that I play with desperation.
“My teammates feel they can feed off that (energy) which is obviously good as well.”

Weightman will hope to be passed fit and be named to play when the Western Bulldogs face Melbourne in a Round 1 clash at the MCG on March 18.

MrMahatma
08-03-2023, 01:21 PM
A fit Cody is pretty important to our team. Emphasis on "fit".

Hopefully we take a conservative approach so we have him fully firing for the majority of the season. Of course, hopefully he's 100% in a week and can play against the Dees.

bornadog
09-03-2023, 12:02 AM
Mitch Hanan to play VFL this week after being ill last weekend and missing the practice match

BornInDroopSt'54
09-03-2023, 12:35 PM

I know how he feels. A ruby player tackled me after I scored the goal of my life, a swinginging torp that when I kicked on the side of me boot with maximum follow through it went dramatically right spinning like a missile then rose and swung hard left, just over outstretched fingers of the pack on the goal line, finally spunning right again like a contolled missile, our only goal of the first quarter.
Then the rugger player tackled me hard but I played the four quarters. Had a fractured tibula.
Missed the next game, which we lost by a point, the only game we lost all year. Whitefriars College 1969.

bornadog
14-03-2023, 05:19 PM
VU Medical Room l Round 1 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1282088/vu-medical-room-l-round-1)

Western Bulldogs livewire forward Cody Weightman has been ruled out of this weekend’s round one clash against Melbourne on Saturday night.

Weightman has experienced some groin soreness over the past fortnight, missing the pre-season clash against the Kangaroos in early March.

“After having a really solid pre-season, Cody experienced some groin muscle overload two to three weeks ago,” Head of Sports Medicine Chris Bell said.

“These injuries can be notoriously volatile and persistent, so to make sure we prepare him for the long season ahead, we will need to be patient to wait for these overload symptoms to settle down.”

“We will look to confirm Cody’s return to playing plan when he is symptom free.”

Utility Dom Bedendo remains in a similar position to Weightman, battling a groin complaint and will be assessed in the coming week.

Arthur Jones will be another to miss the opening rounds of the season, suffering a groin injury late last week.

“Unfortunately, after getting a taste of AFL football in the practice game against North Melbourne, Arthur Jones has suffered a groin muscle strain,” Bell said.

“This won’t keep Arthur out for long, we are expecting him to be putting his hand up for selection in the first few rounds of the season.”

Ryan Gardner is recovering well from surgery earlier in the pre-season and is on track to return in the early rounds of the home-and-away campaign.

“Gardner had a fall during a football session and cracked a bone in his elbow,” Bell said.

“We decided that surgical management would accelerate his recovery. This surgery was successfully completed a couple of weeks ago.”

“He will remain in a brace for another week and we expect to see Ryan back playing footy in the next 3-4 weeks.”

Laith Vandermeer is continuing his rehabilitation from a crack in his fibula bone, tracking for a round six return in the red, white and blue.

“During training a number of weeks ago, Laith received a heavy knock to his lower leg,” Bell said.

“This direct contact caused a small crack in the fibula bone. We are optimistic that this bone will heal in the next two weeks and we can get him back up and running.

“At this stage we expect Laith to be back playing football around rounds five to six.”

Tim O’Brien (hamstring) and Roarke Smith (foot) remain in the rehab group, with their training plans expected to put them into playing calculations a month into the season.

Injury List

Arthur Jones (groin): 1-2 weeks
Ryan Gardner (elbow): 3-4 weeks
Tim O’Brien (hamstring): 4-5 weeks
Laith Vandermeer (leg): 4-6 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot): 4-6 weeks
Cody Weightman (groin): TBC
Dom Bedendo (groin): TBC

1eyedog
14-03-2023, 05:19 PM
Gee whiz no Cody or Arty available this week. Hope we have sticky fingers up forward.

bornadog
14-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Duryea and Richards not on list which is good news.

The Doctor
14-03-2023, 06:05 PM
So disappointed for Arty, especially, and Flea. Was really looking forward to see how our forward line was going to function with them and the big boys.

comrade
14-03-2023, 06:40 PM
Laith Vandermeer’s paper legs.

Hotdog60
14-03-2023, 06:45 PM
Garcia not list could he get a nod?

josie
14-03-2023, 06:50 PM
At least Arfer’s injury is (x fingers) only a few weeks. Was hoping Bedendo makes it this year so a bit concerned its TBC (and similarly worried Cody’s sideline stint could be a long one). Could be worse though. C’mon footy gods do us a favour this year.

josie
14-03-2023, 06:58 PM
For those of you that know about groin injuries-could they be contributed to by hard surfaces? If yes what is surface of Skinner Reserve like? With Marvel hard surface challenges especially for our senior men’s team added into equation I’d hate to see a spate of these amongst our women’s and more so our men’s senior (and vfl sides).

GVGjr
14-03-2023, 07:11 PM
Duryea and Richards not on list which is good news.

Both boys trained well on Monday, I think they're good to go.

Mantis
15-03-2023, 10:02 AM
All of Flea, A.Jones and Dom have groin issues (OP??) which is concerning... could this be linked to training conditions (ground firmness) or load?

GVGjr
19-03-2023, 07:29 PM
Josh Gabelich
@JoshGabelich
·
3h
Scans have cleared Liam Jones of structural damage to his neck. Remains a chance to face St Kilda next Saturday night, but will be assessed closer to the game. Similar incident to Taylor Duryea in the pre-season, who returned in two weeks. More on @AFLcomau

Axe Man
20-03-2023, 05:50 PM
VU Medical Room | Round 2 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1287534/?fbclid=IwAR0xj50hSNWi1F3CGO9Cz-L_kUtB1x3Fk01jYKjxdGXJIyPrxNq-o6ebVro)

Bulldogs’ forward Rory Lobb will miss this weekend’s clash with St Kilda after minor surgery on his ankle this afternoon.

The 30-year-old has recently suffered some ankle joint pain with the club opting for the small procedure.

“Rory Lobb has developed some catching pain in his ankle, relating to some small loose bodies in the joint that have intermittently caused him issues in the last few years,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“To minimise risk of him having recurrent issues, we have decided to be proactive and wash the loose bodies out with an ankle arthroscopy this afternoon.”

“We will determine Rory’s return to play plan following the procedure, but don’t expect it to keep him out for too long.”

Defender Liam Jones continues to recover from his neck injury during the second quarter of the weekend’s game, with availability to be decided later in the week.

“Liam Jones suffered a heavy impact to his head that caused his neck to overstretch,” Bell said.

“Immediately following, he had some referred pain and spasm into his shoulder. With any injury of this nature, we need to make sure that we clear any serious structural damage – so Liam was sent to hospital for scans.”

“Those scans came back with positive results.”

“As expected Liam still has some pain and muscle spasm associated with the injury, so we are working overtime to get him back on track and will determine his availability as the week progresses.”

Injury List

Liam Jones (neck): test
Rory Lobb (ankle): TBC
Arthur Jones (groin): 1-2 weeks
Ryan Gardner (elbow): 1-2 weeks
Tim O’Brien (hamstring): 1-2 weeks
Cody Weightman (groin): 3-5 weeks
Laith Vandermeer (leg): 4-5 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot): 4-5 weeks
Dom Bedendo (groin): Indefinite

GVGjr
20-03-2023, 05:56 PM
Great to see improvement in TOB and Gardner by closing their likely availability but it's a real shame to see that Cody might be another 4 weeks or so before he is available.

MrMahatma
20-03-2023, 05:59 PM
9 blokes on the list already is a bit sucky.

JanLorMill
20-03-2023, 06:06 PM
Tell me we did a medicial on Lobb?

GVGjr
20-03-2023, 06:18 PM

Coming off the track early twice last week including removing the boots wasn't a great sign.

bornadog
20-03-2023, 06:20 PM
From Mark Stevens:

Believe Rory Lobb was very close to being a late out v Dees with ankle soreness … Buku Khamis on standby. In end, played, and Dogs now going for surgery and long term fix.

bornadog

Do you think the club is unprofessional?

JanLorMill
Coming off the track early twice last week including removing the boots wasn't a great sign.
Sorry I meant prior trading for him.

JanLorMill
20-03-2023, 06:21 PM
Do you think the club is unprofessional?
Long time ago but we didn't do a medical on Rawlings

Axe Man
20-03-2023, 06:26 PM
Sorry I meant prior trading for him.

I'm sure they would have done a medical, it's standard practice on all recruits at all clubs as far as I am aware. It wouldn't have stopped us recruiting him anyway being a minor issue.

Of course we are left to wonder why the cleanup wasn't performed earlier - best guess is the ankle pain only emerged over the past couple of weeks and they were waiting to see if it would resolve itself.

We are all armchair experts but it is pretty hard to critique the medical staff when most of us don't have the expertise and none of us are privy to all the information.

Jasper
20-03-2023, 06:36 PM

It sounds like we rolled the dice and got it wrong and that happens. Its a shame he will most likely miss a few weeks given our lack of ruck depth. Just the thought of using Darcy there scares me.

JanLorMill
20-03-2023, 06:37 PM
I'm sure they would have done a medical, it's standard practice on all recruits at all clubs as far as I am aware. It wouldn't have stopped us recruiting him anyway being a minor issue.

Of course we are left to wonder why the cleanup wasn't performed earlier - best guess is the ankle pain only emerged over the past couple of weeks and they were waiting to see if it would resolve itself.

We are all armchair experts but it is pretty hard to critique the medical staff when most of us don't have the expertise and none of us are privy to all the information.
Sorry I was half joking, but if they knew it's just another red flag for a player everyone was saying we didn't need.

azabob
20-03-2023, 07:52 PM
Great to see improvement in TOB and Gardner by closing their likely availability but it's a real shame to see that Cody might be another 4 weeks or so before he is available.

Shame Smith is still 4 weeks away as he could be handy in providing some defensive coverage in and the midfield.

Bendendo also bad luck being injured long term. He may have comes into calculations as a medium forward role.

MrMahatma
21-03-2023, 12:04 PM

Yeah but we do all have 20/20 rear vision. So... there's that.

Stevo
21-03-2023, 12:07 PM
Shame Smith is still 4 weeks away as he could be handy in providing some defensive coverage in and the midfield.

Bendendo also bad luck being injured long term. He may have comes into calculations as a medium forward role.

There was a bit of positivity about Bedendo over the summer months. Brutal game for young players to get close and then cop a substantial injury.

Stevo
21-03-2023, 12:09 PM
It sounds like we rolled the dice and got it wrong and that happens. Its a shame he will most likely miss a few weeks given our lack of ruck depth. Just the thought of using Darcy there scares me.

You have to wonder with our lack of options for ruckman if we could have addressed it through the SSP.
I think Darcy will be used as a backup now but hopefully its Bruce..

azabob
21-03-2023, 02:37 PM
There was a bit of positivity about Bedendo over the summer months. Brutal game for young players to get close and then cop a substantial injury.

Also a contract year for Bedendo.

Happy Days
24-03-2023, 03:40 PM
Treloar and Lobb already confirmed out for round 3.

GVGjr
24-03-2023, 04:16 PM

Lobb wasn't moving very well at all so that sounds about right. Treloar might be right for the gather round.

macca
24-03-2023, 05:31 PM
2 of our highest paid players and they are out for round 3. We should never had played Lobb with a dodgy ankle .

bornadog
24-03-2023, 05:37 PM

WE have a 5 day turn around so better not to risk them

BornInDroopSt'54
27-03-2023, 04:01 PM
It is not war but such battles can produce turnaraounds.
Necessity the mother of all mothers.
Players must lift.
It is Brisbane we face and we're in danger of not stopping them starting in the centre, crivvens.

bornadog
27-03-2023, 05:47 PM
VU Medical Room | Round 3 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1293491/vu-medical-room-round-3)

Bulldogs? defender Ryan Gardner is on track to return for this Thursday?s fixture after recovering from elbow surgery last month.

The 25-year-old will need to get through tomorrow?s main training before being considered for selection.

Ryan has progressed well over the last month since requiring some surgery on his elbow fracture,? Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, said.

He has been largely training with some modifications around his exposure to contact.

?If Ryan gets through full training this week - like we expect ? he will return to availability.?

The red, white and blue could be further boosted by the return of Rory Lobb and Adam Treloar for the clash against the Lions, with the pair listed as tests ahead of main training on Tuesday.

?They washed out the small loose bodies that were causing issues in Rory?s ankle joint,? Bell said.

?We are now fighting the clock to turn him around in time for the game this Thursday.

?We want to make sure that if Rory does play, that he is at 100% - so will put him through his paces at training tomorrow.

?Adam had some minor hamstring tightness off the back of the round one game, and has progressed well over the last 72 hours and completed a solid training session on Saturday.

?For him to be a chance to play ? he will need to prove his full fitness and ability to hit top speed tomorrow.

?Adam has a significant history of soft tissue injury ? so we won?t be taking any risk if he hasn?t fully recovered.?

In exciting news, both Tim O?Brien and Arthur Jones should also return to availability this week, while top draft pick Jedd Busslinger has been confirmed to play for Footscray VFL.

?This will be Jedd?s first game of footy in nine months after requiring two shoulder reconstructions on his right shoulder during his under 18 year,? Bell said.

?Jedd has been incredibly professional and diligent his lengthy period in rehab ? and we are excited to see him pull on the jumper this week.?

Injury List

Jedd Busslinger (shoulder): Available
Ryan Gardner (elbow): Test
Adam Treloar (hamstring): Test
Rory Lobb (ankle): Test
Tim O?Brien (hamstring): Test
Arthur Jones (groin): Test
Cody Weightman (groin): 2-4 weeks
Laith Vandermeer (leg): 2-4 weeks
Roarke Smith(foot): 3-5 weeks
Harvey Gallagher (hamstring): 4-6 weeks
Dom Bedendo (groin): Indefinite

GVGjr
27-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Good news on Gardner, he's done a lot of work and his sprinting and even ball use was spot on at Friday's session.
Nice to see that O'Brien should be available for Footscray and I'm especially excited that young Arty Jones is back.

All 3 of them worked hard on Friday and looked close.

Bulldog4life
27-03-2023, 05:58 PM
Good news on Gardner, he's done a lot of work and his sprinting and even ball use was spot on at Friday's session.
Nice to see that O'Brien should be available for Footscray and I'm especially excited that young Arty Jones is back.

All 3 of them worked hard on Friday and looked close.

I'm keen to see how the Bus goes too.

GVGjr
27-03-2023, 06:02 PM
I'm keen to see how the Bus goes too.

He was a mile off when he first arrived and labored around the track with his running but the last 6 weeks or so he improved so much. Apparently he has done extra work and it shows. He's got some quirks with the way he runs and even how he kicks to footy but it is encouraging to see him now being available. Hard work can pay off.

Axe Man
03-04-2023, 05:19 PM
Victoria University Medical Room - Round 4 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1299314/?fbclid=IwAR0AhNAhiNxep5hk5ikeWk-qbrVgz4_pPeQn9d1D16B7L30tiByKfkVFrvc)

The latest injury news ahead of our clash with Richmond on Saturday afternoon.

Bulldogs energetic forward Cody Weightman is closing in on a return after battling an adductor complaint during the past month.

The 22-year-old is targeting Gather Round against the Power as his first game of the season, needing to get through a number of training sessions over the next fornight before being considered for selection.

We have been very calculated and systematic in Cody's conservative progressions over the last three weeks to make sure that we build durability and adaptation in the area that he was suffering some overload issues," Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

"He is now in the final stages of his rehab plan - and will be exposed to our full training loads this week.

"If he is able to tolerate these full training loads, he will be exposed to a game-like training session this weekend, ahead of hopefully returning to availability the following week."

Taylor Duryea missed last weekend's narrow victory over Brisbane through illness, but will be available this Saturday.

"Taylor Duryea became unwell towards the back end of the week, so unfortunately had to miss the game last week," Bell said.

"He has now fully recovered and trained well today - so he will return to availability for this weekend."

Roarke Smith continues to recover from a plantar fascia injury with his return to play timeline still unclear.

"Roarke started to progress his running loads and unfortunately he is again battling some plantar fasica symptoms in his foot," Bell said.

"As we know from managing this type of injury previously, it can be volatile and slow to settle - making it hard for us to be categoric in setting accurate return to play timelines.

"We will need to be patient and wait for the area to fully heal before we get him back on his feet and work towards getting him back into some running."

Injury List:

Taylor Duryea (illness): available
Cody Weightman (groin) 1-2 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot): TBC
Dom Bedendo (groin): indefinite

bornadog
03-04-2023, 05:22 PM
Looks Pretty Good. No Lobb so should be ok to go.

Axe Man
03-04-2023, 05:32 PM
I think they have missed Vandermeer since he was 2-4 weeks away last week.

bornadog
03-04-2023, 05:36 PM
I think they have missed Vandermeer since he was 2-4 weeks away last week.

Article updated

Injury List:

Taylor Duryea (illness): available
Cody Weightman (groin) 1-2 weeks
Laith Vandermeer (leg): 2-4 weeks

azabob
03-04-2023, 06:00 PM
Victoria University Medical Room - Round 4 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1299314/?fbclid=IwAR0AhNAhiNxep5hk5ikeWk-qbrVgz4_pPeQn9d1D16B7L30tiByKfkVFrvc)

Roarke Smith continues to recover from a plantar fascia injury with his return to play timeline still unclear.

"Roarke started to progress his running loads and unfortunately he is again battling some plantar fasica symptoms in his foot," Bell said.

"As we know from managing this type of injury previously, it can be volatile and slow to settle - making it hard for us to be categoric in setting accurate return to play timelines.

"We will need to be patient and wait for the area to fully heal before we get him back on his feet and work towards getting him back into some running."

Come on Roarke jump off Robert Harvey's table to snap it and be done with it.

bornadog
03-04-2023, 06:02 PM
Come on Roarke jump off Robert Harvey's table to snap it and be done with it.

I have plantar fasica and I tell you what it is hard to shake.

bornadog
11-04-2023, 05:00 PM
Medical Room l Round 5 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1304997/)

Cody Weightman is likely to play his first game for 2023 after recovering from an adductor issue that plagued him over the first month of the season.

The 22-year-old will need to get through the Bulldogs? main session on Wednesday before being available for selection.

?Cody is in the final stages of his conservative return to play plan following his adductor issues,? Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

?He has built continuity in his football training and his fitness base.

?If he gets through main training tomorrow and performs well ? he will available for selection this weekend.?

Alex Keath will miss the clash with Port Adelaide during Gather Round after sustaining a concussion against Richmond on the weekend.

?Alex suffered some contact to his head during a marking contest in the first quarter of the game against the Tigers,? Bell said.

?On assessment, he showed some low-level signs of concussion ? so was taken out of the game.

?He has come in well to the club this week but won?t be available for selection this weekend.

?We will work with our doctors over the next 12 days to determine his return to play plan.?

Hayden Crozier will be a test ahead of Saturday night?s showdown at Adelaide Oval after copping a knock to the back during the third quarter.

?Hayden was involved in a contest that involved heavy impact in the third quarter,? Bell said.
?He had some neck and upper back pain so spent the rest of the game on the bench.

?Scans have since cleared any serious structural injury ? but he is still suffering muscle spasm symptoms related to the whiplash type mechanism.

?We will determine Hayden?s availability towards the end of this week.?

Riley Garcia will be missed in the medium term, suffering some groin issues post the Brisbane fixture.

?Following main training last week, Riley Garcia showed signs of some symptoms consistent with groin muscle overload,? Bell said.

?Understanding that these injuries can be prone to becoming chronic and impacting performance ? we are being proactive and have put Riley in a rehabilitation model.

?We will become clearer in his return to play timeline over the next couple of weeks.?

Injury List:

Cody Weightman (groin): available
Hayden Crozier (back): test
Alex Keath (concussion): 1-2 weeks
Laith Vandermeer (leg): 1-2 weeks
Harvey Gallagher (hamstring): 3-5 weeks

Garcia TBC

G-Mo77
11-04-2023, 05:17 PM
That list is starting to look lighter.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2023, 05:41 PM
With Weightman back. Arguably Keath is the only automatic 23 selection out of the team.

We know that Bevo does like Vander in the team for his pace when fit.

Mantis
11-04-2023, 05:49 PM
That list is starting to look lighter.

The list that doesn’t include Garcia?

Hotdog60
11-04-2023, 05:57 PM
Riley Garcia will be missed in the medium term, suffering some groin issues post the Brisbane fixture.

?Following main training last week, Riley Garcia showed signs of some symptoms consistent with [B]groin muscle overload,? Bell said.

?Understanding that these injuries can be prone to becoming chronic and impacting performance ? we are being proactive and have put Riley in a rehabilitation model.

?We will become clearer in his return to play timeline over the next couple of weeks.

I think Riley needs to change how he's been playing golf in his time off its affecting his football.

https://youtu.be/f6x9l0wJHrI

bornadog
11-04-2023, 06:08 PM
The list that doesn’t include Garcia?

He is mentioned in the article but not listed.

Mantis
11-04-2023, 08:05 PM
He is mentioned in the article but not listed.

I guess that was the point of my post.

The injury list looks great if you don’t mention all the players injured.

Axe Man
14-04-2023, 03:48 PM
Sore Dog to miss two-week road trip with calf strain (https://www.afl.com.au/news/903467/sore-dog-to-miss-two-week-road-trip-with-calf-strain)

WESTERN Bulldogs star Bailey Smith will miss this weekend's trip to Adelaide for Gather Round and at least next Friday night's fixture against Fremantle at Optus Stadium due to a minor calf strain.

The 22-year-old was ruled out of Saturday night's game against Port Adelaide Oval on Thursday after reporting calf tightness following the five-point win over Richmond last Saturday.

With a six-day turnaround between round five and round six – and two games on the road – the Dogs will head to Perth on Monday to prepare for the Dockers, rather than returning to Melbourne between fixtures.

The Dogs are taking a travelling party of 25 players for the next eight days, but will fly others in if required.

Smith will remain home during this period to accelerate his recovery and get on top of an issue that caused him to train away from the main group in January.

The club is hopeful the midfielder will be available when the club returns from Western Australia to host Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium on Saturday, April 29 in round seven.

"(Smith's) got a calf injury and he'll be out for a couple of weeks. Beyond that, I'm not sure," Beveridge told reporters.

"Bit ginger after training so he had a scan. Little bit up. So no risk.

"We've got a squad of 25 on the road, Fremantle in Perth the following Friday, we're going to stay away. So it's a quirk of the schedule.

"We've asked everyone to come away for a week and it's too much risk with Bailey. So he'll stay back, miss a couple and we'll work it out from there."

The Western Bulldogs will regain Cody Weightman for the first time in 2023 after the gun small forward was cleared to return from an adductor injury earlier in the week.

Weightman suffered the issue in February and has had to be carefully managed since then to ensure his return wouldn't be delayed until later in the year.

Luke Beveridge has chosen to go with Tim O'Brien instead of Ryan Gardner to replace Alex Keath, after the key defender entered concussion protocols last weekend following a collision with Richmond key forward Tom Lynch.

Gardner was one of the most improved players at Whitten Oval in 2022, but has struggled to build a case to return after recovering from elbow surgery before spending the past fortnight in the VFL.

O'Brien hasn't played a senior game since round 16 last year and endured a frustrating summer at Skinner Reserve, suffering several soft-tissue setbacks.

Hayden Crozier failed to prove his fitness in time for the trip to Adelaide after being substituted out of the game against the Tigers with a back issue, while Taylor Duryea has been recalled after spending last weekend at Footscray.

After a disappointing opening fortnight of 2023, the Dogs have beaten two sides that played finals last year – Brisbane and Richmond – to kickstart the season ahead of an enthralling encounter at the Adelaide Oval.

Favourite son Tom Liberatore will become just the 22nd player in the history of the Western Bulldogs to play 200 games when he runs out against the Power.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 01:50 PM
Bulldogs key defender Josh Bruce has suffered a significant injury to multiple ribs after a collision during the third quarter of last night’s clash against Port Adelaide.

The 30-year-old has returned to Melbourne this morning, with his return to play plan to be confirmed over the coming weeks.

Source: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1309109/injury-update-josh-bruce

angelopetraglia
18-04-2023, 09:20 AM
Stevo on twitter

“ Josh Bruce @westernbulldogs facing lengthy stint on sidelines.
Believe he has sternum damage to go with multiple broken ribs. They are injuries often mentioned in car crash reports. Brutal game, footy. Bruce has been solid re-cast down bacK”

Nasty injury. Bruce can’t take a trick.

Axe Man
18-04-2023, 10:29 AM
Victoria University Medical Room | Round 6
(https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1310680/?fbclid=IwAR2w4_sFRutDMC28tKgYhch43HmTpFR-7GCj4GWkwWzkRSVpNbBf_XT0ATA)
Western Bulldogs defender Josh Bruce will undergo specialist advice after suffering significant rib damage against Port Adelaide in round five.

Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, said a return-to-play timeline for Bruce will be established in the coming weeks.

?In the third quarter of the game on the weekend, Josh went to ground in a contest and received direct contact from an opposition knee straight into his ribcage,? Bell said.

?Unfortunately this has caused significant damage to multiple ribs in Josh?s chest.

?Josh has returned to Melbourne ? we?re seeking specialist advice on how to best manage him.

?We aren?t going to set a time-frame at the moment, but hope to update more specifically in the next couple of weeks.?

Bell said a conservative approach will be taken in regards to Bailey Smith, who missed Gather Round with calf tightness.

?Following our main training session last week, Bailey developed some calf tightness - he did have some intermittent tightness over the pre-season, so we are going to be conservative with when he does return to play,? he said.

?Bailey won?t play against Fremantle this week, but we?re optimistic he?ll make a return the week or two following.?

In more positive injury news, both Alex Keath (concussion) and Laith Vandermeer (leg) will be tested this week before returning to availability, while Hayden Crozier (back) has been cleared to play.

?Alex has been progressing in line with our expectations. He still does have some boxes to tick, so he?ll work through that through the rest of this week ? but we expect him to get through main training and hopefully be available this weekend,? Bell said.

?Laitham built some great continuity in his training over the pre-season, but unfortunately during an intra-club game broke a bone in his lower leg called the fibula.

?Laitham?s been the ultimate professional ? he?s been back in full training for a period of time now, and we?re looking forward to welcoming Laitham back to availability this weekend.

?Hayden had a whiplash-type injury against Richmond. In some good news, those symptoms have now fully cleared.

?He?s back into a full training model, and will return to availability this week.?

The Bulldogs are already in Perth, in preparation for a Friday night ANZAC Appeal Round clash against Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

Injury list

Hayden Crozier (back) ? available

Alex Keath (concussion) ? test

Laith Vandermeer (leg) ? test

Bailey Smith (calf) ? 1-2 weeks

Harvey Gallagher (hamstring) ? 2-4 weeks

Riley Garcia (groin) ? 4-6 weeks

Roarke Smith (foot) ? 5-7 weeks

Dom Bedendo (groin) ? indefinite

Josh Bruce (ribs) - TBC

Grantysghost
18-04-2023, 10:30 AM
Stevo on twitter

“ Josh Bruce @westernbulldogs facing lengthy stint on sidelines.
Believe he has sternum damage to go with multiple broken ribs. They are injuries often mentioned in car crash reports. Brutal game, footy. Bruce has been solid re-cast down bacK”

Nasty injury. Bruce can’t take a trick.

Oh no! When they said significant I was concerned.

SquirrelGrip
18-04-2023, 11:31 AM
Victoria University Medical Room | Round 6
(https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1310680/?fbclid=IwAR2w4_sFRutDMC28tKgYhch43HmTpFR-7GCj4GWkwWzkRSVpNbBf_XT0ATA)

In more positive injury news, both Alex Keath (concussion) and Laith Vandermeer (leg) will be tested this week before returning to availability, while Hayden Crozier (back) has been cleared to play.

"Alex has been progressing in line with our expectations. He still does have some boxes to tick, so he'll work through that through the rest of this week , but we expect him to get through main training and hopefully be available this weekend," Bell said.

Laitham built some great continuity in his training over the pre-season, but unfortunately during an intra-club game broke a bone in his lower leg called the fibula.

Laitham's been the ultimate professional ? he's been back in full training for a period of time now, and we're looking forward to welcoming Laitham back to availability this weekend.

Hayden had a whiplash-type injury against Richmond. In some good news, those symptoms have now fully cleared.

He's back into a full training model, and will return to availability this week.?

The Bulldogs are already in Perth, in preparation for a Friday night ANZAC Appeal Round clash against Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

So do we know if any of Chief, Laith and Croz are in Perth?

Axe Man
18-04-2023, 11:59 AM
So do we know if any of Chief, Laith and Croz are in Perth?

I imagine Vandermeer will resume in the VFL after a lengthy layoff. Not sure about Keath and Crozier but if they aren't already there they could easily fly over if the match committee wants them in the team.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 12:15 PM
Libba has entered concussion protocols. Misses the next week. JJ is OK.

GVGjr
24-04-2023, 03:56 PM
Vandermeer has had a setback as he was in hospital with rib damage after the Southport game. Likely to miss a month
Bailey Smith on track to return this week.

bornadog
24-04-2023, 04:10 PM
Victoria University Medical Room | Round 7
The latest injury news ahead of Saturday's clash against Hawthorn. (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1315303/victoria-university-medical-room-round-7)

Western Bulldogs star midfielder Bailey Smith is a chance to return to the line-up for this Saturday?s clash with Hawthorn, as he recovers from a calf injury.

Smith has missed the last two matches with the minor calf complaint, and is pushing hard to re-join his team-mates for Marcus Bontempelli?s 200th game against the Hawks at Marvel Stadium.

He will need to get through Wednesday?s main training session to be considered for selection.

?Bailey didn?t play on the weekend to allow us to carefully rebuild his loads and get some continuity in his training,? said Bulldogs? Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell.

?In some good news, he successfully completed a game like rehab session on Friday.

?He will return to a full training model, and if he gets through like I expect, he will return to availability.?

Smith?s possible return would help offset the loss of Tom Liberatore, who will miss the Round 7 game with concussion.

?In the last quarter of the game against Fremantle, ?Libba? received a head knock in a contest,? Bell said.

?He had very discrete signs that he wasn?t 100%, so he was ruled out of the game. Testing post-game confirmed that he suffered a low-level concussion.

?He won?t play this weekend, and will work with our doctors to determine his return to play plan.?

Speedy forward Laitham Vandermeer made his return through the VFL on the weekend after recovering from a fractured leg, but unfortunately his day ended prematurely.

?During the third quarter, Laitham received a hit to his chest wall in a tackle and had some severe pain,? Bell said.

?Scans have confirmed that he has some rib damage. This injury won?t require surgery, but Laitham will be sidelined again for a couple of weeks.?

Injury list

Bailey Smith (Calf) Test
Tom Liberatore (Concussion) ? 1-2 weeks
Harvey Gallagher (Hamstring) 2-3 weeks
Roarke Smith (Foot) ? 5-7 weeks
Riley Garcia (Groin) ? 6-8 Weeks
Dom Bedendo (Groin) ? 6-8 weeks
Josh Bruce (Ribs) ? 4-8 weeks
Laitham Vandermeer (Ribs) ? TBC

azabob
24-04-2023, 04:41 PM
Vandermeer has had a setback as he was in hospital with rib damage after the Southport game. Likely to miss a month
Bailey Smith on track to return this week.

Thanks GVGjr.

The poor bloke can't take a trick.

The only brightside is normally it is soft tissue injuries for VDM where as this year both structural.

azabob
24-04-2023, 04:42 PM
Victoria University Medical Room | Round 7
The latest injury news ahead of Saturday's clash against Hawthorn. (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1315303/victoria-university-medical-room-round-7)

Injury list

Roarke Smith (Foot) ? 5-7 weeks

At what stage do we consider other option for Smith?

bornadog
24-04-2023, 04:53 PM
At what stage do we consider other option for Smith?

It is a rotten injury - and seemingly a nothing injury. I am just getting over mine and it has been 4 months. Still feel the effects every now and then.

Maybe half year?

bornadog
01-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Victoria University Medical Room l Round 8 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1321156/)

Tom Liberatore remains a test ahead of a Saturday night clash with GWS, recovering strongly from a concussion suffered against Fremantle last week.

Liberatore will train on Thursday with the main group, putting himself in the frame to travel to Canberra later in the week.

?Tom still has some boxes to tick this week, expecting to make a call on his availability following our main training session this Thursday,? Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

Hayden Crozier (ankle) and Jordon Sweet (bruised heel) were unavailable last week, with the pair on the improve and a chance to return.

There were no major injuries concerns out of the AFL and VFL games on the weekend.

Josh Bruce and Laith Vandermeer continue to recover from respective rib injuries, remaining at least a fortnight away from availability.

Injury List

Tom Liberatore (Concussion) ? Test
Hayden Crozier (Ankle) - Test
Jordon Sweet (Heel) - Test
Laitham Vandermeer (Ribs) ? 2-3 weeks
Josh Bruce (Ribs) ? 2-3 weeks
Riley Garcia (Groin) ? 4-6 weeks
Roarke Smith (Foot) ? 4-6 weeks
Dom Bedendo (Groin) ? 5-7 weeks

1eyedog
01-05-2023, 06:38 PM
I'll guarantee you that Tom Liberatore won't be missing the match.

bornadog
01-05-2023, 06:50 PM
I'll guarantee you that Tom Liberatore won't be missing the match.

Saw him helping out on the bench at the VFL

1eyedog
01-05-2023, 08:42 PM
I saw him eating dim sims on Sydney Road (no I didn't but I hope to one day and always keep a lookout).

jazzadogs
01-05-2023, 11:27 PM
Victoria University Medical Room l Round 8 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1321156/)

Tom Liberatore remains a test ahead of a Saturday night clash with GWS, recovering strongly from a concussion suffered against Fremantle last week.

Liberatore will train on Thursday with the main group, putting himself in the frame to travel to Canberra later in the week.

?Tom still has some boxes to tick this week, expecting to make a call on his availability following our main training session this Thursday,? Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

Hayden Crozier (ankle) and Jordon Sweet (bruised heel) were unavailable last week, with the pair on the improve and a chance to return.

There were no major injuries concerns out of the AFL and VFL games on the weekend.

Josh Bruce and Laith Vandermeer continue to recover from respective rib injuries, remaining at least a fortnight away from availability.

Injury List

Tom Liberatore (Concussion) ? Test
Hayden Crozier (Ankle) - Test
Jordon Sweet (Heel) - Test
Laitham Vandermeer (Ribs) ? 2-3 weeks
Josh Bruce (Ribs) ? 2-3 weeks
Riley Garcia (Groin) ? 4-6 weeks
Roarke Smith (Foot) ? 4-6 weeks
Dom Bedendo (Groin) ? 5-7 weeks

3 of our young guys (Weightman, Garcia and Bedendo) getting medium-long term groin injuries is a knock on our fitness staff. Hamstrings/calves can be damaged by explosive activity beyond the control of the fitness team, but a lot of the groin injuries come down to load management and preventative strengthening.

angelopetraglia
07-05-2023, 11:15 AM
Bevo on Treloar

"He is OK, believe it nor he has been a little bit compromised most of the year, he has had an outstanding start to the year, really influential for us, tonight he felt a little agitation in his medial hamstring and in the end we took him off for precaution, he probably has a slight injury there, just can't give you anymore than than and hoping that it is minor, his history, surprisingly enough he can play with some discomfort and some hamstring stuff over the years, but we will wait and see if he can play against Carlton"

macca
07-05-2023, 01:04 PM
If Treloar has been playing "compromised" , he has had a phenomenal season, to play injured and probably in pain. Hoping its only 1-2 week injury that requires rest and some massage treatment to straighten out the hammies and let them heal.

come bouncing back Treloar

Mantis
08-05-2023, 05:09 PM
Confirmed that Treloar has a hamstring strain and is expected to miss 2-3 weeks.

bornadog
08-05-2023, 05:12 PM
Injury Update: Adam Treloar & Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1326166/injury-update-adam-treloar-jamarra-ugle-hagan)

Bulldogs midfielder Adam Treloar is expected to miss at least the next two matches after injuring his hamstring during the team?s 15-point win over GWS on Saturday.

Scans have revealed a strain to the hamstring, with the club to assess Treloar this week before determining a specific return to play plan

Youngster Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will be a test ahead of the Saturday night clash against Carlton.

The forward suffered an adductor issue during the fixture in Canberra and will be monitored across training sessions this week.

Happy Days
08-05-2023, 05:57 PM
Honestly that’s the best we could’ve hoped for. Remember when he did both of them in one go at the Pies? Only 2-3 is almost a miracle.

Testekill
08-05-2023, 08:11 PM
If Treloar has been hampered then two weeks off will do him good and is the best case scenario if he had to miss games.

angelopetraglia
08-05-2023, 08:18 PM
If Treloar has been hampered then two weeks off will do him good and is the best case scenario if he had to miss games.

Agree 100%. Better to get the body right now than things flaring up later in the season.

Axe Man
09-05-2023, 05:39 PM
Victoria University Medical Room | Round 9 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1326843/)

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Tim O'Brien will be tested ahead of a bumper AFL clash against Carlton on Saturday night at Marvel Stadium.

The pair suffered minor injuries over the past fortnight and will need to complete main training on Thursday to be declared available.

"When kicking his goal early in the first quarter, Jamarra had the awareness of some symptoms in one of his groin muscles," Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

"He was able to play the rest of the game unrestricted.

"Scans have cleared him of serious damage and he will be tested at our main training this Thursday.

"During training last week, Tim reported some low-level quad tightness. We didn't want to take any risks with Tim, so he missed the game on the weekend.

"We will assess Tim as this week progresses to determine if he returns to availability this weekend."

Sam Darcy will miss a period of football after reporting some breathing difficulties over the past week.

"Sam reported the insidious onset of some shortness of breath," Bell said.

"Scans confirmed that he is suffering from a small hole in the lung that has leaked some air into the space between the lung and the chest wall. This has happened spontaneously and is non-traumatic which is uncommon.

"We have consulted with specialists, who expect this to heal and improve with conservative management and time.

"We will monitor Sam over the coming weeks and declare him available once he is back to full health."

As reported earlier in the week, Adam Treloar will miss at least the next fortnight with a hamstring strain.

Injury List

Tim O'Brien (quad): Test
Harvey Gallagher (hamstring): Test
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (adductor): Test
Josh Bruce (ribs): 1 - 2 weeks
Adam Treloar (hamstring): 2-3 weeks
Dom Bedendo (groin): 4 - 6 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot): 3 - 5 weeks
Riley Garcia (adductor overload): 3 - 5 weeks
Sam Darcy (lung): TBC

bornadog
09-05-2023, 05:52 PM
Gee, I hope Sam is ok. Doesn't sound good at his young age.

hujsh
09-05-2023, 06:00 PM
That sounds awful and his health has to take priority so give him as much time off as needed.

Bulldog4life
09-05-2023, 06:05 PM
Gee, I hope Sam is ok. Doesn't sound good at his young age.

Lucky the have discovered it now. Get well Sam.

jazzadogs
09-05-2023, 06:58 PM
"hole in the lung" is pretty scary language!

What they are describing is (very likely) a spontaneous pneumothorax, or collapsed lung, which is actually most common in tall thin young males (~12 in 100,000 per year).

The lungs sit inside the ribcage, and are vacuum sealed to the inner wall - maintaining this pressure is vital to the lungs working properly. Just like any other vacuum, as soon as any air creeps in the seal is broken and that's what causes the lung to 'collapse'. The small hole in his lung would likely be very very small, and will heal itself.

The collapse usually happens with a big cough or sneeze, and because of the sheer size of the lungs and ribcage in someone like Sam it is hard to keep the pressure steady to maintain the vacuum seal. Its also been reported during sex - cheeky boy Sammy!

The collapse itself will often resolve on its own, but if needed treatment usually includes lots of rest and extra oxygen. The extreme cases, particularly if they don't resolve in 24 hours or have severe symptoms (high heart rate, skin turning blue, etc), will need urgent care and can end up in ICU or with a drain in their chest - but they state Sam is recovering with conservative management which is great!

If it happened again they might consider surgery, but generally try to avoid it.

I know there are a few doctors in the forum who might add more, but my background is a physio who has worked in hospitals with these patients.

bornadog
09-05-2023, 08:02 PM
"hole in the lung" is pretty scary language!

What they are describing is (very likely) a spontaneous pneumothorax, or collapsed lung, which is actually most common in tall thin young males (~12 in 100,000 per year).

The lungs sit inside the ribcage, and are vacuum sealed to the inner wall - maintaining this pressure is vital to the lungs working properly. Just like any other vacuum, as soon as any air creeps in the seal is broken and that's what causes the lung to 'collapse'. The small hole in his lung would likely be very very small, and will heal itself.

The collapse usually happens with a big cough or sneeze, and because of the sheer size of the lungs and ribcage in someone like Sam it is hard to keep the pressure steady to maintain the vacuum seal. Its also been reported during sex - cheeky boy Sammy!

The collapse itself will often resolve on its own, but if needed treatment usually includes lots of rest and extra oxygen. The extreme cases, particularly if they don't resolve in 24 hours or have severe symptoms (high heart rate, skin turning blue, etc), will need urgent care and can end up in ICU or with a drain in their chest - but they state Sam is recovering with conservative management which is great!

If it happened again they might consider surgery, but generally try to avoid it.

I know there are a few doctors in the forum who might add more, but my background is a physio who has worked in hospitals with these patients.
Thanks for the explanation

ratsmac
09-05-2023, 09:06 PM
Get well soon Sam

The Underdog
09-05-2023, 09:09 PM
Did Sam really use the phrase insidious onset or is Chris Bell getting particularly florid with his language?

jazzadogs
09-05-2023, 10:17 PM
Did Sam really use the phrase insidious onset or is Chris Bell getting particularly florid with his language?

"When did it start Sam?"
"Insidiously"

BornInDroopSt'54
10-05-2023, 08:19 PM
Symptomatic of his build they say.
Like thin Templeton when young.
I feared steroids when he developed that barrel chest so quickly.
He doesn't speak like a steroid user.
Hopefully it is only part of growing pains for Sam.

Mantis
11-05-2023, 10:20 AM
Symptomatic of his build they say.
Like thin Templeton when young.
I feared steroids when he developed that barrel chest so quickly.
He doesn't speak like a steroid user.
Hopefully it is only part of growing pains for Sam.

Wasn't quite expecting someone to take this path with their thought process.. interesting.

Axe Man
15-05-2023, 05:54 PM
Victoria University Medical Room | Round 10 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1332370/victoria-university-medical-room-round-10)

Josh Bruce is on track to return to availability this weekend, having made positive progress following rib damage he sustained in round five against Port Adelaide.

Bulldogs' Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, said Bruce will need to get through main training before being declared available.

"Josh has continued to make positive progress from his rib injuries - he has been fully training without contact for the last two weeks," Bell said.

"He is chomping at the bit to get back into full training - so we will put him through contact progressions this week, and if he confidently gets through will return to availability."

Draftee Harvey Gallagher (hamstring) will also be tested this week, while Adam Treloar (hamstring) is 1-2 weeks away.

The Bulldogs emerged from their round nine AFL match and round eight VFL match without any further injury concerns.

Injury list

Josh Bruce (ribs) - test
Harvey Gallagher (hamstring) - test
Adam Treloar (hamstring) - 1-2 weeks
Dom Bedendo (groin) - 4-5 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot) - 3-5 weeks
Riley Garcia (groin) - 3-5 weeks
Sam Darcy (lung) - TBC

bornadog
15-05-2023, 05:56 PM
Treloar - bloody hell.

azabob
15-05-2023, 05:57 PM
Treloar - bloody hell.

Why are you so animated. Surely it was expected he'd be out for minimum two weeks?

azabob
15-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Victoria University Medical Room | Round 10 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1332370/victoria-university-medical-room-round-10)

Riley Garcia (groin) - 3-5 weeks

Not great for these boys. Especially Bedendo and Smith who are out of contract at years end.

bornadog
15-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Why are you so animated. Surely it was expected he'd be out for minimum two weeks?

Yeah, I thought he just tweaked it, but this is worse.

angelopetraglia
15-05-2023, 05:59 PM
Treloar - bloody hell.

Bevo said at the presser last week that he was at least two weeks away. It would be crazy to take a risk with him at this point of the season.

Axe Man
15-05-2023, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I thought he just tweaked it, but this is worse.

For Treloar and his history a tweak is at least 2 weeks. Even for players without history there are very few 1 week hamstring injuries.

Hotdog60
15-05-2023, 06:53 PM
Bruce in for JOD?

hujsh
15-05-2023, 07:19 PM
Bevo said at the presser last week that he was at least two weeks away. It would be crazy to take a risk with him at this point of the season.

In Ballarat of all places too

GVGjr
15-05-2023, 08:43 PM
Bruce in for JOD?

Could we be going in too tall again?

azabob
15-05-2023, 09:05 PM
Could we be going in too tall again?

Would you believe JOD and Bruce are the same height? ;)

GVGjr
15-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Would you believe JOD and Bruce are the same height? ;)

That's actually my point :)

1eyedog
16-05-2023, 11:59 AM
Treloar - bloody hell.

Will be 1-2 weeks away for a month.

angelopetraglia
21-05-2023, 06:59 PM
DASHING DOG SET FOR EXTENDED BREAK

The Western Bulldogs fear in-form half back Jason Johannisen could miss two months with hamstring tendon damage after being subbed off in the win against Adelaide.

Johannisen has slotted back into half-back in recent weeks and made a real impact but pulled up and grabbed at his hamstring during the Mars Stadium encounter.

The Dogs are hopeful that he will not need surgery for the injury but the early expectation is that the hamstring damage does involve his tendon.

It means he could be out for between 6-10 weeks, which might mean Caleb Daniel has to slot back into the backline.

Marcus Bontempelli received a knock to the knee against Adelaide which required treatment and while he looked sore in the second half, he played out the game.

The Dogs are confident he has avoided any structural damage and will be fit to take on Gold Coast in Darwin next weekend as they try to continue their march up the ladder with a 7-3 win-loss record.

azabob
21-05-2023, 07:29 PM
Damn. Ten weeks out for JJ is a massive blow.

GVGjr
21-05-2023, 07:30 PM

I'll say, he's been good this season since returning to a more natural position and has kicked a few nice goals for us as well.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2023, 07:30 PM

Yep. Only silver lining is GCS, North and a bye in the first period.

But Daniel back, and Treloar & Smith in the guts is great coverage.

angelopetraglia
21-05-2023, 07:33 PM
Really feel for JJ. He has been an X-Factor since going back to HB. Playing with confidence, running, taking the game on and breaking lines. Hard to replace.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2023, 07:35 PM
At least he has a month of footy before finals, assuming we are in them.

bornadog
21-05-2023, 07:38 PM
Last time he did this and was out for so long we won the premiership.

Really feel for JJ as he was in good form

azabob
21-05-2023, 07:48 PM
Yep. Only silver lining is GCS, North and a bye in the first period.

But Daniel back, and Treloar & Smith in the guts is great coverage.

Downside is Daniel is developing nicely in the midfield and he doesn?t have the burst pace of JJ, Dale and Richards.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2023, 07:52 PM
Downside is Daniel is developing nicely in the midfield and he doesn?t have the burst pace of JJ, Dale and Richards.

True. But Treloar can replace Daniel & Smith can stay inside. Daniel is quick by mind. We might lose some pace, but Daniel is an AA HBF and Treloar & Smith have put up huge numbers inside this year. It’s a manageable problem.

azabob
21-05-2023, 08:08 PM
True. But Treloar can replace Daniel & Smith can stay inside. Daniel is quick by mind. We might lose some pace, but Daniel is an AA HBF and Treloar & Smith have put up huge numbers inside this year. It’s a manageable problem.

Agree it’s manageable. Daniel being quick of mind is why he’s become such an asset forward of the centre square.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2023, 08:13 PM
Agree it’s manageable. Daniel being quick of mind is why he’s become such an asset forward of the centre square.

I hope there’s a chance Gallagher might be a bolter if he stays fit. Maybe a carrot for VDM to try to make the grade as a HBF. It opens up a surprise. Or maybe a MSD pick. Is there a quick HBF available? Like but (not) Sydney Stack as a quick HBF?

azabob
21-05-2023, 08:19 PM
I hope there’s a chance Gallagher might be a bolter if he stays fit. Maybe a carrot for VDM to try to make the grade as a HBF. It opens up a surprise. Or maybe a MSD pick. Is there a quick HBF available? Like but (not) Sydney Stack as a quick HBF?

Hopefully Cleary can make the spot his own. Unsure on his pace but he seems a good user of the football.

macca
21-05-2023, 08:29 PM

I like the idea but i am not conviced he can read the play naturally like Duryea or Liam Jones

I do hope he can make it but we need to put a premium on list spots

Mantis
22-05-2023, 03:06 PM
Sam Edmund (SEN) has tweeted that JJ's hamstring injury is a nasty one and he could be out for a couple of months.

angelopetraglia
22-05-2023, 03:10 PM
Sam Edmund (SEN) has tweeted that JJ's hamstring injury is a nasty one and he could be out for a couple of months.

Confirmed on Twitter by Sam. "Hearing scans have confirmed the Western Bulldogs' worst fears on Jason Johannisen. The rejuvenated half-back is looking at a couple of months out with a nasty hamstring injury. Has been important in the Dogs' rise in recent weeks."

G-Mo77
22-05-2023, 03:45 PM
Looked bad when it happened, he was grabbing in the stomach area and then the leg. I saw him walking OK after the game and hoped it wouldn't be this bad. Hopefully someone can step up and take over that spot now.

angelopetraglia
22-05-2023, 03:55 PM
Club has now confirmed. Link https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1337876/

Victoria University Medical Room | Round 11

The Western Bulldogs will be without half-back Jason Johannisen for at least two months after scans revealed a high-grade hamstring strain.

Johannisen was subbed off midway through the third quarter of Saturday’s win over Adelaide.

“Unfortunately, our great win against the Crows was soured by a hamstring injury to JJ in the third quarter,” Bulldogs’ Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“Being an over-stretching injury whilst at speed, our clinical suspicions of a high-grade injury were confirmed with the MRI that showed extensive damage.

“JJ is the ultimate professional and will get to work with our rehab team to get back playing this home and away season, but we anticipate that he will miss 8-10 games.”

The Bulldogs emerged from the clash in Ballarat without any other serious injury concerns, while the VFL side enjoyed a bye.

Injury list

Josh Bruce (ribs) - available
Harvey Gallagher (hamstring) - test
Adam Treloar (hamstring) - 1 week
Sam Darcy (lung) - 2-3 weeks
Riley Garcia (groin) - 4-6 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) - 8-10 weeks

cinder
22-05-2023, 04:13 PM
:( :(

hujsh
22-05-2023, 05:28 PM
We're doing well on the injury front and JJ knows how to get himself back in shape from this type of injury.

Good to see Darcy with a timeframe for return

Bulldog4life
23-05-2023, 02:20 PM

From the Afl website. Is this an omen?

The West Australian sustained the same injury on his other hamstring in 2016 and missed 10 games before returning to play a key role in ending the Western Bulldogs' 62-year premiership drought.

JanLorMill
23-05-2023, 07:41 PM
From the Afl website. Is this an omen?

The West Australian sustained the same injury on his other hamstring in 2016 and missed 10 games before returning to play a key role in ending the Western Bulldogs' 62-year premiership drought.
Kicked the winning goal vs Sydney in his return game?

Bulldog4life
23-05-2023, 10:38 PM
Kicked the winning goal vs Sydney in his return game?

Good memory. Who kicked it to him I can't remember?

SquirrelGrip
23-05-2023, 11:26 PM

It’s him, you know it’s him….

dog town
24-05-2023, 05:35 AM

Daniel I thought.

SquirrelGrip
24-05-2023, 07:29 AM
It?s him, you know it?s him?.

https://youtu.be/_1kr9gfEkRY

Happy Days
24-05-2023, 12:54 PM
JJ is such a good set shot.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-05-2023, 03:19 PM
At the time I was worried he’d ping the hamstring again

Axe Man
29-05-2023, 04:58 PM
Victoria University Medical Room | Round 12 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1346579/victoria-university-medical-room-round-12?fbclid=IwAR3Xuifa_Pt70RIArv-R-vAXQ3T2I2dVMPsbN7m2PZ3JK-4hMBlPe3iQTng)

Bulldogs star Adam Treloar looks set to return to the midfield for this weekend?s bumper clash against Geelong at Marvel Stadium.

The 30-year-old has missed the past three weeks with a hamstring strain and will need to get through main training before being considered for selection against the reigning premiers.

?Adam?s recovery from his hamstring injury has gone exactly to plan,? Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

?We have graduated his speed and training demands over the last few sessions, with him completing a game like training session on Saturday.

?He still has one or two boxes to tick before we can confirm his availability, but at this stage he is on track to return to play this weekend.?

Sam Darcy is a strong chance to return to availability after recovering from a small hole in his lung over the past month.

?Sam Darcy has progressed well over the last couple of weeks,? Bell said.

?During his last review, the specialist was happy that Sam?s lung had fully healed.?

?Since then, Sam has been progressing his training and completed a game like rehab session on Saturday.

?If he gets through main training this week like I expect, he will return to availability.?

Roarke Smith?s long road to recovery from a plantar fascia injury looks to be complete after ticking off several boxes in the past fortnight.

?Roarke Smith has been suffering from this persistent plantar fascia issue since the start of the season,? Bell said.

?We know that these injuries are notoriously hard to fix within a season, and he has shown great mental resilience and determination to get back to playing.

?Roarke?s foot has coped well with the progression back into training the last few weeks.

?If he pulls up well from our main session on Wednesday, Roarke will return to playing this weekend."

Injury List

Roarke Smith (plantar fascia) - Test
Adam Treloar (hamstring) - Test
Sam Darcy (lung) - Test
Dom Bedendo (groin) - 3-4 weeks
Riley Garcia (groin) - 5-7 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) - 7-9 weeks

azabob
29-05-2023, 05:37 PM
Garcia either has had a setback or we are just throwing darts at a dartboard.

Maybe we should follow Geelongs grading method of short term, medium term, long term.

Hotdog60
29-05-2023, 06:16 PM
I may have to add Garcia to my list in the List Management thread. I like Riley but if he can't get on the park he's more like West in terms of Player and the West variety is more durable.

angelopetraglia
29-05-2023, 06:19 PM
I have suffered through some long stretches of plantar fascia (marathon runner) but I didn't think it was possible to keep you out of football for so long. It must have been a real nasty one. It does get very little blood supply and is notorious for being very slow to heal. Mine got to the point where I could hardly manage to walk when I got out of bed in the morning, but once I warmed and got some shoes on I could still run on it.

By the way. I would not be surprised to see Bevo name Roarke this week in the Seniors.

josie
29-05-2023, 06:26 PM
I have suffered through some long stretches of plantar fascia (marathon runner) but I didn't think it was possible to keep you out of football for so long. It must have been a real nasty one. It does get very little blood supply and is notorious for being very slow to heal. Mine got to the point where I could hardly manage to walk when I got out of bed in the morning, but once I warmed and got some shoes on I could still run on it.

By the way. I would not be surprised to see Bevo name Roarke this week in the Seniors.

That would be so Bevo. I’d think if Treloar plays though MC wouldn’t want to risk two players back from injury in same match.

I’m really hoping Bedendo can play a few matches in VFL in a month or so and light up the park. His speed, composure and disposal looked good. Perhaps didn’t get enough of ball (not surprising as he is relatively lightly built). Wretched injury run though.

angelopetraglia
29-05-2023, 06:31 PM
That would be so Bevo. I’d think if Treloar plays though MC wouldn’t want to risk two players back from injury in same match.

I’m really hoping Bedendo can play a few matches in VFL in a month or so and light up the park. His speed, composure and disposal looked good. Perhaps didn’t get enough of ball (not surprising as he is relatively lightly built). Wretched injury run though.

Agree. Younger players getting injuries is such a momentum killer for their overall development.

macca
29-05-2023, 09:36 PM
Agree. Younger players getting injuries is such a momentum killer for their overall development.

Is there an element of luck to not get injured ? Split second tackles or going hard at 1more yard tearing muscles ?

I suspect alot of the soft tissies injuries due to speed of the game and limits on interchange ( to few now ) causing muscle fatigue and stress

bornadog
30-05-2023, 02:04 AM
Is there an element of luck to not get injured ? Split second tackles or going hard at 1more yard tearing muscles ?

I suspect alot of the soft tissies injuries due to speed of the game and limits on interchange ( to few now ) causing muscle fatigue and stress

AFL limiting g interchange is just rubbish

Bulldog Joe
30-05-2023, 08:14 AM
AFL limiting g interchange is just rubbish

I respectfully disagree.

It is an endurance sport. I don't want it ton become gridiron.

bornadog
30-05-2023, 08:49 AM
I respectfully disagree.

It is an endurance sport. I don't want it ton become gridiron.

Doesn't have to be grid iron. What was wrong in the Rocket years when interchange was unlimited?

GVGjr
30-05-2023, 10:12 AM
Doesn't have to be grid iron. What was wrong in the Rocket years when interchange was unlimited?
It's got nothing to do with injuries though which is what what you originally implied.
Fatigue isn't really an injury.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2023, 12:07 PM
Why has Bedendo been out for half a season, and he's still 4 weeks away?

GVGjr
30-05-2023, 12:32 PM
Why has Bedendo been out for half a season, and he's still 4 weeks away?
He has only just started to increase his training as well.
After looking good in the preseason the injury really stopped his progress.

Bulldog Joe
30-05-2023, 04:07 PM

Well the interchange was not used as much then and I don't believe it reached the current capped limits and beyond until later.

I also remember when there was no interchange and everyone coped.

macca
30-05-2023, 04:09 PM
Well the interchange was not used as much then and I don't believe it reached the current capped limits and beyond until later.

I also remember when there was no interchange and everyone coped.

I have been saying this for years, the caped interchange causes player fatigue and can contribute to tissue injury.
they should increase the interchange number to 5 permanently.

the AFL players association should be all over this, interms of increased injuries to players.

angelopetraglia
30-05-2023, 07:14 PM
I have been saying this for years, the caped interchange causes player fatigue and can contribute to tissue injury.

the AFL players association should be all over this, interms of increased injuries to players.

There is an opposing argument to that point. Less interchanges creates more fatigue, which makes the game more endurance Vs explosiveness. If players rest, then they can generate more explosive movements which then creates soft tissue injuries.

For example. I?m never going to pull a hammy in the last few KMs of a marathon. But I?m very chance pulling a hammy at an all out effort over 100m.

Grantysghost
30-05-2023, 07:22 PM
Let's just scrap interchange and have 4 permanent subs.

bornadog
31-05-2023, 02:25 AM
It's got nothing to do with injuries though which is what what you originally implied.
Fatigue isn't really an injury.
Where did I say that. I was just commenting on interchange when it was mentioned

Bulldog4life
01-06-2023, 10:35 AM

Bevo too was all over this in the pre season.

Axe Man
01-06-2023, 10:46 AM
Let's just scrap interchange and have 4 permanent subs.

With 1 able to be called by the opposition? Jeremy Cameron has kicked 3 in the first quarter on Saturday night - Bevo subs him off!

Mantis
01-06-2023, 05:49 PM
He has only just started to increase his training as well.
After looking good in the preseason the injury really stopped his progress.

The club has a pic of him on their social media page at training today so hopefully he is more like 2 weeks away rather than 4.

GVGjr
05-06-2023, 04:17 PM
From the clubs website (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1351515/victoria-university-medical-room-round-13/)

Ed Richards will be sidelined for at least the next month after suffering a hamstring strain in the narrow loss to Geelong on Saturday night.

The defender could feature early after the Club’s bye round with his rehab commencing today.

“Unfortunately, in the third quarter of the game, Ed suffered a hamstring injury,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“Scans have confirmed that this is a moderate grade injury.

“Ed has already started attacking his rehab, with us hoping to get him back in the next 4-6 weeks.”

Toby McLean is the other major injury to come out of the weekend, suffering back pain
during the VFL fixture.

“From our VFL game, Toby McLean has suffered some acute low back pain after a tackle,” Bell said.

“Scans have confirmed that he has an area of bone overload in his back that will need some time to settle.

"Once his acute pain improves, we will confirm his return to play plan, but expect him to miss some footy over the next month.”

Injury list

Dom Bedendo (groin) - 2-3 weeks
Ed Richards (hamstring) - 4-6 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) - 7-8 weeks
Toby McLean (back) - TBC

bulldogsthru&thru
05-06-2023, 04:21 PM
Is it just me or does every season it feels like we get injuries to players in the same position?

angelopetraglia
05-06-2023, 04:51 PM
That is a very short injury list for midway through the season. Also, incredibly pleased not to see Treloar on that list.

Axe Man
06-06-2023, 02:33 PM
Injury update: Sam Darcy (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1352055/)

Following a knock in Saturday's VFL game, Bulldogs forward Sam Darcy reported some soreness in his jaw.

Precautionary scans yesterday have identified a small fracture in his jaw bone.

After consultation with specialists, it has been determined that an operation to stabilise the fracture will accelerate his recovery and minimise risk of ongoing issues.

Sam's return to play plan will become clearer after the operation, but is expected to make a return to playing soon after the club's mid-season bye.

azabob
06-06-2023, 03:16 PM
The kid can’t take a break. Looking unlikely we will see him in the senior side again this year.

Sedat
06-06-2023, 03:19 PM
The kid can’t take a break. Looking unlikely we will see him in the senior side again this year.
He's one I'm very happy to cotton wool and play the long game with. In hindsight, it was amazing he played finals last year and was a pivotal player in a couple of games late in the season off the back of zero pre-season and missing the first couple of months of 2022.

We've already got Bruce and Keath as current KPD back-up, and we also have Khamis and Raak as emergency break glass options beyond that if we got a horrendous injury run on talls. None of them are David Dench, but Sam Darcy isn't yet either.

EDIT - forgot about Buss as well

Dogs 24/7
06-06-2023, 03:35 PM

Was it when he was in the ruck? Hes not a ruck man yet but perhaps in 2 years time.

Hotdog60
06-06-2023, 06:44 PM
The reckon it will about 3 weeks so back after the bye.

Hotdog60
15-06-2023, 06:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fyox8pMaEAInApd?format=jpg&name=900x900

Ed is up and running. :)

GVGjr
15-06-2023, 07:19 PM

He mentioned last week that he had started running. It's unreal the lengths teams and players go to get the players to recovery quickly.

Wish Ed all the best.

EasternWest
15-06-2023, 07:34 PM

But do we know his contract status?

bornadog
15-06-2023, 09:49 PM
But do we know his contract status?
Also he has really bulked up

EasternWest
15-06-2023, 10:55 PM
Also he has really bulked up

Sounds like BAD's fat siren has gone into pre alarm.

bornadog
19-06-2023, 02:54 PM
Injury Update: Liam Jones (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1361010/)

Bulldogs defender Liam Jones has suffered a fractured radius during last night?s 21-point victory over North Melbourne.

The 32-year-old was subbed off during the first quarter after suffering a blow to his forearm.

Jones will consult specialists and have surgery in the coming days before a return to play timeline is determined.

Senior coach Luke Beveridge confirmed the news in his post-match press conference.

?Unfortunately, Liam has fractured the radius bone in his forearm,? Beveridge said.

?He?ll need that plated.?

?Hoping to get him in and get that repaired ? I don?t know how long he is out for, but he?ll be out for a while.?

Fellow defender Tim O'Brien was also subbed out of the game, suffering a hamstring injury late in the second term.

O'Brien's length of time on the sidelines will become clearer over the coming days.

Grantysghost
19-06-2023, 02:57 PM
Injury Update: Liam Jones (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1361010/)

Bulldogs defender Liam Jones has suffered a fractured radius during last night?s 21-point victory over North Melbourne.

The 32-year-old was subbed off during the first quarter after suffering a blow to his forearm.

Jones will consult specialists and have surgery in the coming days before a return to play timeline is determined.

Senior coach Luke Beveridge confirmed the news in his post-match press conference.

?Unfortunately, Liam has fractured the radius bone in his forearm,? Beveridge said.

?He?ll need that plated.?

?Hoping to get him in and get that repaired ? I don?t know how long he is out for, but he?ll be out for a while.?

Fellow defender Tim O'Brien was also subbed out of the game, suffering a hamstring injury late in the second term.

O'Brien's length of time on the sidelines will become clearer over the coming days.

Bugger.

bornadog
19-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Bugger.

Hopefully medical science has improved and he doesn't miss much, but with 9 games to go, I can't see him coming back till at least 6

Rocket Science
20-06-2023, 05:11 PM
https://i.ibb.co/txp0wFV/Screen-Shot-2023-06-20-at-4-06-39-pm.png (https://ibb.co/vQ4NCR0)

Wondering what we've done to offend the hamstring Gods but more so wondering how Vandermeer has somehow eluded their wrath.

hujsh
20-06-2023, 05:19 PM
https://i.ibb.co/txp0wFV/Screen-Shot-2023-06-20-at-4-06-39-pm.png (https://ibb.co/vQ4NCR0)

Wondering what we've done to offend the hamstring Gods but more so wondering how Vandermeer has somehow eluded their wrath.

He paid the toll early.

10 weeks is a horrible outcome for Jones and significantly alters the outlook of our season

Sedat
20-06-2023, 05:42 PM
10 weeks is a horrible outcome for Jones and significantly alters the outlook of our season
We are vulnerable down back with or without Liam if the supply is clean - we just need to get to work at the source and stop the easy ball transitioning into the oppo F50. Our rucks and mids will be crucial in the next few weeks while the cavalry arrives, as will our forwards retaining the ball in F50 for repeat entries.

I'd get English to fill the hole down back after ruck stoppages, similar to what Gawn has done on occasions for the Dees. Lobb takes more of the stoppages forward of centre and significantly lifts his output - there's a lot of upside to Lobb's game (which will help English) if he can take the chance. Naughts also needs to swing down back for 5-10 mins a quarter when needed. We just need to get smarter and we should be ok, especially if we have the ball living in our front half.

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 05:43 PM
He paid the toll early.

Amazing you can kick a guy and break his arm and no sanction.

If you tackle someone weird though....

Legal.

hujsh
20-06-2023, 05:50 PM
We are vulnerable down back with or without Liam if the supply is clean - we just need to get to work at the source and stop the easy ball transitioning into the oppo F50. Our rucks and mids will be crucial in the next few weeks while the cavalry arrives, as will our forwards retaining the ball in F50 for repeat entries.

I'd get English to fill the hole down back after ruck stoppages, similar to what Gawn has done on occasions for the Dees. Lobb takes more of the stoppages forward of centre and significantly lifts his output - there's a lot of upside to Lobb's game (which will help English) if he can take the chance. Naughts also needs to swing down back for 5-10 mins a quarter when needed. We just need to get smarter and we should be ok, especially if we have the ball living in our front half.

We are but Liam did occasionally hold down the fort when the ship was sinking a bit. You're right it's possible to cover for him but I'm not sure we can/will adequately

bornadog
20-06-2023, 05:54 PM

Legal.

AS I have said many times, AFL has lost the plot

angelopetraglia
20-06-2023, 05:56 PM
This was our injury list 15 days ago.

Injury list 5th June

Dom Bedendo (groin) - 2-3 weeks
Ed Richards (hamstring) - 4-6 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) - 7-8 weeks
Toby McLean (back) - TBC

This is our current injury list!!!!!!!

Injury list 20th June

Sam Darcy (jaw) ? Test
Riley Garcia (groin) ? Test
Dom Bedendo (groin) ? Test
Ed Richards (hamstring) ? 3-4 weeks
Harvey Gallagher (finger) ? 3-4 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) ? 4-5 weeks
Toby McLean (lower back) - 4-6 weeks
Tim O?Brien (hamstring) ? 8-9 weeks
Liam Jones (forearm) - 8-10 weeks
Hayden Crozier (hamstring) ? 8-10 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot) ? Indefinite

bornadog
20-06-2023, 05:56 PM
Victoria University Medical Room | Round 15 (Bye) (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1361986/victoria-university-medical-room-round-15-bye-)

The Western Bulldogs will be without key defender Liam Jones for at least two months after suffering a forearm fracture against North Melbourne.

Jones was subbed out of the game early in the opening quarter, and underwent surgery yesterday to repair two separate breaks.

?Liam received a kick to his forearm ? this trauma has caused two separate breaks in the radius bone,? Bulldogs? Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, said.

?He had surgery yesterday to insert a large plate along his forearm to stabilise both fractures.

?We will confirm his return to play timeline over the coming weeks, but expect him to miss the next 8-10 games.?

Fellow defenders Tim O?Brien and Hayden Crozier will also be sidelined for the next two months, after both sustained hamstring injuries in their respective matches.

?Both Tim in the AFL game and Hayden in the VFL game sustained hamstring injuries,? Bell said.

?Scans confirmed that they have both suffered moderate to high grade injuries, that will see them miss the next few months of football.?

Utilities Roarke Smith (foot) and Harvey Gallagher (finger) have suffered further setbacks too.

?At the start of the season, Roarke battled a tear to a structure in his foot called the plantar fascia,? Bell said.

?These symptoms improved, and after building some continuity in his training, Roarke returned to play over the last few weeks but unfortunately, has had a reaggravation of these symptoms during last week.

?We?ll wait until Roarke?s symptoms settle and get an idea of how his foot tolerates reloading, before we look to set a definitive timeline for him to return to play.

?Harvey was also needing to be managed by our upper limb surgeon yesterday after suffering a break to one of the knuckles in his hand.

?This injury happened in the VFL game and required surgery to align the fracture. The surgery went well, and we expect Harvey to return to playing in the next month.?

In more positive injury news, trio Sam Darcy (jaw), Riley Garcia (groin) and Dom Bedendo (groin) are on track to exit the rehab group.

?Sam, Dom and Riley all have some boxes to tick over the next 10 days,? Bell said.

?We are optimistic that they remain on track to return to availability for the game following our midseason break.?

Injury list

Sam Darcy (jaw) ? Test
Riley Garcia (groin) ? Test
Dom Bedendo (groin) ? Test
Ed Richards (hamstring) ? 3-4 weeks
Harvey Gallagher (finger) ? 3-4 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) ? 4-5 weeks
Tim O?Brien (hamstring) ? 8-9 weeks
Liam Jones (forearm) - 8-10 weeks

bornadog
20-06-2023, 05:58 PM
Good to see Garcia and Dom ready to come back.

Darcy may have to play down back

angelopetraglia
20-06-2023, 05:58 PM
Break someone's arm in two places with a dog act of kicking the ball in a contested ball situation when people have their hands on the ball, play on. No free kick. No comment from the AFL.

Accidently hurt someone in the allowed action of tackling and you they throw the book at you.

We have lost the plot as a game. What is going on? That kicking action has zero place in our game.

Sedat
20-06-2023, 06:08 PM
We are but Liam did occasionally hold down the fort when the ship was sinking a bit. You're right it's possible to cover for him but I'm not sure we can/will adequately
It won't be easy but it is definitely achievable. Maybe the lack of predictability might work in our favour.

Axe Man
20-06-2023, 06:11 PM

Legal.

I've watched the replay a number of times and I don't think Curtis did that much wrong. Obviously should have been a kicking in danger free but it wasn't a ridiculously big wind up and kick. Jones was just incredibly unlucky to have broken his arm in that circumstance. I agree with Bevo in regards to the dangerous tackles that football incidents/accidents are going to happen. I think this is just one of those. I do get the lack of consistency though.

I really feel for Jones. I broke both forearm bones playing footy a few years back after being ridden into the ground and also not receiving a free kick. It took a long time and 2 surgeries to recover. Still have the metal in my arm as a reminder.

Rocket Science
20-06-2023, 06:26 PM
If we can stave off sliding out of the eight while our choice of key backs down the home stretch extends no further than Keath / Gardner / Bruce / O'Donnell and what the hell, Busslinger, I'll never doubt the coach again.

Surely Bevo's in the midst of a heart-to-heart with Naughton about where he's needed most in the current predicament.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 06:42 PM
I've watched the replay a number of times and I don't think Curtis did that much wrong. Obviously should have been a kicking in danger free but it wasn't a ridiculously big wind up and kick. Jones was just incredibly unlucky to have broken his arm in that circumstance. I agree with Bevo in regards to the dangerous tackles that football incidents/accidents are going to happen. I think this is just one of those. I do get the lack of consistency though.

I really feel for Jones. I broke both forearm bones playing footy a few years back after being ridden into the ground and also not receiving a free kick. It took a long time and 2 surgeries to recover. Still have the metal in my arm as a reminder.

Agree with this. Clear free kick but it wasn't a wild swing that injury could be expected from.

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 06:44 PM
Agree with this. Clear free kick but it wasn't a wild swing that injury could be expected from.

Wow no no. That's like the last thing you do as a player. Stretched out arm... that's a sure break.

5 weeks for me. Is this a parallel universe where kicking is ok?

bulldogtragic
20-06-2023, 06:51 PM
Shit time to be uncontracted:

Tim O’Brien (hamstring) ? 8-9 weeks

All gone??

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 06:53 PM
Shit time to be uncontracted:

Tim O’Brien (hamstring) ? 8-9 weeks

All gone??

Yep - all gone. TOB may stay.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 06:53 PM
Wow no no. That's like the last thing you do as a player. Stretched out arm... that's a sure break.

5 weeks for me. Is this a parallel universe where kicking is ok?

I agree. 5 weeks for you.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2023, 06:54 PM
Yep - all gone. TOB may stay.

Does he have a body to play regular senior footy? 30 next year.

Rhetorical question.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
20-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Can Jones play with a cast/brace on his arm WWE style?

Grantysghost
20-06-2023, 06:57 PM
I agree. 5 weeks for you.

OK i accept. I may die absorbing all the thoughts i have that mean nothing and have no where to go....BUT!

5 weeks it is. I'll be back on the 25/7.

macca
20-06-2023, 07:46 PM
AS I have said many times, AFL has lost the plot

no they have not, its a conspiracy to continually treat us unfairly.

if this was any of the big 4 clubs, they would be howling a different story.

they just don't care about our players and hate our club for winning the 2016 premiership.

Whenever any of our players go to the tribunal , we get max penalty , the jack redpath suspension summed it up for a jumper punch.

Dalhause kick to the head by Green and he gets 2 weeks ???

Testekill
20-06-2023, 07:50 PM
Ooof, long layoffs for Jones and O'Brien and Crozier was probably in for Duryea who had a stinker.

At this point I think we need to just bleed Cleary and keep him in the seniors.

notgrantysghost
20-06-2023, 08:00 PM
Does he have a body to play regular senior footy? 30 next year.

Rhetorical question.

Crikey - no. I'd be leaving him behind at that age.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-06-2023, 08:14 PM
Yep agree I wouldn’t play any of them ahead of West, Jones, Cleary etc. shame on Toby he was huge but like many other knee injuries cut his time short.